Australian Open, January 17 - 30, 2005 [Archive] - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

Australian Open, January 17 - 30, 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 01:21 PM
I wonder if David will take too many positives from this. Sure he played it very tough for so long at the end there, but still, that's a match he should have won at the end of the day. As Courier said, it was a career-changing moment if David could seize the moment... and he failed.

Yeah, being two points away twice. That's Ok; he will learn more from defeat than from victory...he has to.

gravity
01-26-2005, 01:22 PM
You should be mad not sad that he failed to pull off the win. :D I loved Lleyton's quote at the end that never once considered he was going to lose the match. That's the mentaility of a real champion. David can learn a bit from that. He just didn't seem to have the same self-belief that he was going to cross the finishing line the winner. And I think that was what ultimately cost David a deserved victory.

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Actually, I'm not that sad...I thought I was gonna be crushed, but I'm soooo happy about the way he played. I'm proud!

You're right - I'm proud too - and I can't wait to tell him so in Marseille. As for the tears - just blame my PMS!

Thanks for your company on here today guys -couldn't have stood that match without you all :hug:

gravity
01-26-2005, 01:23 PM
The press is being sooooo nice to him, some titles:
"Nalbandian left his heart in the court"
"Nalbandian played with his soul but it wasn't enough"

I love the romance of the Spanish language. :)

sophia_c
01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
You're right - I'm proud too - and I can't wait to tell him so in Marseille. As for the tears - just blame my PMS!

Thanks for your company on here today guys -couldn't have stood that match without you all :hug:

have a brilliant time in Merseille......and say a BIG Hola from all of us.....

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 01:25 PM

You're welcome. It's all good.

Björki
01-26-2005, 01:41 PM
I am so sorry for David :( I had to leave at 7-7.
Anyway he is such a great fighter. :worship:

fabolous
01-26-2005, 01:41 PM
oh my, what a match! he was so close-just two points away from the semis :sad: i was throwing several things through the room, but it didn't help. these matches drive me crazy.

what really impressed me was david's coolness. nor the crowd, lleyton's cmmmooooon's neither the bad linesmen could upset him. great match david!!

crimson
01-26-2005, 01:44 PM
After the first two sets, I had to leave the coverage to go to lectures, and when I came back online I saw the result and how close it actually turned out to be! I am very proud of David for coming back from two sets down to fight back and make it so close :hug:, and also gutted at the same time because he was so close to winning the match and I really wanted him to. :sad: But he has still done so well and confirmed further what a great player he is, and I feel this will have set him on a great path for 2005. :hug:

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 01:49 PM
After the first two sets, I had to leave the coverage to go to lectures, and when I came back online I saw the result and how close it actually turned out to be! I am very proud of David for coming back from two sets down to fight back and make it so close :hug:, and also gutted at the same time because he was so close to winning the match and I really wanted him to. :sad: But he has still done so well and confirmed further what a great player he is, and I feel this will have set him on a great path for 2005. :hug:

This is an encouraging sign for him, despite all that's happened. We will see great things from him this year.

gravity
01-26-2005, 01:57 PM
what really impressed me was david's coolness. nor the crowd, lleyton's cmmmooooon's neither the bad linesmen could upset him. great match david!!

Thanks for reminding me of that. :lol: I'm so pissed that David failed to take a big step forward in his career I'm forgetting he had to take a lot of shit out there and handled himself impressively well. He did almost everything right in the end, moving an injured opponent around the court and hitting deep.... but still I think he was too afraid of losing to go for the win at the ultra-critical moments. Everything else about his game in that last set was perfect.

jazz_girl
01-26-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm impressed by the way he acted. I mean, I would have gone crazy with all those bad line calls, and he was great. He never left the match.

novanora
01-26-2005, 02:06 PM
oh my, what a match! he was so close-just two points away from the semis :sad: i was throwing several things through the room, but it didn't help. these matches drive me crazy.

me too, it's 10 pm here, and i still haven't the dinner yet :o
Actually, i don't think Lleyton is very noisy today, his cmon are much fewer than last two matches. The terrible line calles influenced both, but i am glad to see David is calm to cope with, more calm than Hewitt.
His serving is a little bit soft in last few games, just compared with Hewitt's solid servings. And some backhand errors wasted some good chance of breaking Hewitt in the 5th set. But this is a exciting match, let us see his fight. i never thought he could chase up after 2 sets behind :yeah: Well done, david!!

novanora
01-26-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm impressed by the way he acted. I mean, I would have gone crazy with all those bad line calls, and he was great. He never left the match.
yeah, Hewitt was crazy with those bad calls, he was much more calm.

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks for reminding me of that. :lol: I'm so pissed that David failed to take a big step forward in his career I'm forgetting he had to take a lot of shit out there and handled himself impressively well. He did almost everything right in the end, moving an injured opponent around the court and hitting deep.... but still I think he was too afraid of losing to go for the win at the ultra-critical moments. Everything else about his game in that last set was perfect.

Gravity, he just may have taken a step forward in his career. Just because he went down, doesn't mean that he's gone backward. For sure, this defeat may have been more instructive for him than a victory.

gravity
01-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Gravity, he just may have taken a step forward in his career. Just because he went down, doesn't mean that he's gone backward. For sure, this defeat may have been more instructive for him than a victory.

I didn't say he's gone backwards, but I definitely don't see this defeat as a step forward in his career in any shape or form really. He stays about the same as he was. I hope David sees it very differently to me and can use this as a launching pad for a hugely successful year. ;)

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I didn't say he's gone backwards, but I definitely don't see this defeat as a step forward in his career in any shape or form really. He stays about the same as he was. I hope David sees it very differently to me and can use this as a launching pad for a hugely successful year. ;)

I think so too.

novanora
01-26-2005, 02:30 PM
another point, he shouldn't change his lucky orange color later in 5th set :rolleyes:

bibi_s
01-26-2005, 02:33 PM
I trully loved his game in this tournament. He played so clever, so cool. It' really delight to watch him. I just can't wait to see him play in the next tournaments. I have great hopes that he can achieve his goals now. Vamos David !!!!

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 02:33 PM

I agree Sigma - sometimes we learn more from defeat than victory. I don't think David has anything to regret or blame himself for - and we should not be hard on him. Even being in this tournament was a victory for him under his personal circumstances - he has started this year much better than I could have expected and I am incredibly proud. I am sure he will be disappointed right now - but Eduardo and Javier will always be there for him 100% and they are very good at taking the positives out of situations and helping him.

Björki
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
another point, he shouldn't change his lucky orange color later in 5th set :rolleyes:
to be honest I thought the same when he changed the shirt. :rolleyes:

NOUKY
01-26-2005, 02:44 PM
:sad: so sad he lost :bigcry: but still what a fantastic match ! It was such a great fight :yeah:I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooo proud of him:inlove: :smooch: :clap2: and I'm sure 2005's gonna a great year for him !:woohoo:I'm already looking forward to seeing him play in Europe and supporting him ! :bounce:
I hope he'll enjoy a few days' well-deserved rest before !
Once more, well done ! :bigclap:

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 02:54 PM
:sad: so sad he lost :bigcry: but still what a fantastic match ! It was such a great fight :yeah:I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooo proud of him:inlove: :smooch: :clap2: and I'm sure 2005's gonna a great year for him !:woohoo:I'm already looking forward to seeing him play in Europe and supporting him ! :bounce:
I hope he'll enjoy a few days' well-deserved rest before !
Once more, well done ! :bigclap:

Are you going to Marseille Nouky?

espanol04
01-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Anyway, I'm proud of your performance. I love you forever, David!

niko
01-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Well done David! 2nd set was indeed decisive. He has to improve his serve.
Looking forward to next tourney!

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 03:34 PM
I am looking forward to his next tourneys as well. He will do us proud, I'm sure.

NOUKY
01-26-2005, 03:36 PM
:wavey: Are you going to Marseille Nouky?
Nope :awww: unfortunately ! I didn't expect him to play there !
So I had already taken a few days off work and booked for Rotterdam ...when he was announced to play in Marseilles ! Such a pity !
Rotterdam is further :drive: for me of course but never mind, I hope to see him there ! I think you're going to Marseilles, aren't you ? :unsure: Hope you'll have fun there ! ;) And support him for me !!! :clap2:

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 03:51 PM
:wavey:
Nope :awww: unfortunately ! I didn't expect him to play there !
So I had already taken a few days off work and booked for Rotterdam ...when he was announced to play in Marseilles ! Such a pity !
Rotterdam is further :drive: for me of course but never mind, I hope to see him there ! I think you're going to Marseilles, aren't you ? :unsure: Hope you'll have fun there ! ;) And support him for me !!! :clap2:

Don't worry I will :) And I should be in Rotterdam too - so maybe catch up with you there.

jazz_girl
01-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I think he'll win Rotterdam or Marseilles. He's got enough tennis to do it now :)

Björki
01-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Rosie pls tell him it would be great to see him at the World Team Cup in Düsseldorf. :)

jazz_girl
01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
LOL!
Some journalists are calling him David "Rambo" Nalbandian! LOL

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Rambo, huh? Cool....

crigazzio
01-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, finally I´m back!!!!I was out this days, but i saw those amazing matches!!!!
I´m so proud of him, is so good to see him play like he did!!!! And of course, i´m happy for the rest of the year only cause he beats Coria LOL!!!!
Today i didn´t saw the final but the news here said that he was amazing.......
VAMOS DAVID TODAVIA!!!!!!
I´m so happy!!!!

crigazzio
01-26-2005, 04:56 PM

Really??? He did??? WOWOW he was really focus!!!! :worship: David you´re the best!!! :worship:
I was reading in Clarín that they taulked in the about a discussion in the middle of the match...What was that?? :confused:

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Rosie pls tell him it would be great to see him at the World Team Cup in Düsseldorf. :)

I want to go there too Bjorki - but I don't somehow think he will listen to me!!!

Björki
01-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I want to go there too Bjorki - but I don't somehow think he will listen to me!!!
you can try :) WTC is such a lovely tourney. and David could play at laest
3 matches. That would be great before the FO. :)

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I think it will depend on how well he does in Rome/Hamburg Bjorki. If he reaches the latter stages of both he may need a week off.

Anyway - here are the Stats from todays' match - I got them from Lleyton's Forum - but I'm sure they wom't mind! Actually they're really nice over there :) I went over there to say congrats earlier today and I have had so many really nice comments, PMs, Reps etc - they're a nice bunch!!

Hewitt (Australia):
1st serve percentage: 50%
Aces: 16
Double faults: 6
Winning % on 1st serve: 58 of 79 - 73%
Winning % on 2nd serve: 40 of 78 - 51%
Winners (including service): 49
Unforced errors: 49
Break point conversions: 6 of 16 - 38%
Net approaches: 23 of 34 - 68%
Total points won: 158

Nalbandian (Argentina):
1st serve percentage: 62%
Aces: 4
Double faults: 4
Winning % on 1st serve: 68 of 96 - 71%
Winning % on 2nd serve: 26 of 58 - 45%
Winners (including service): 36
Unforced errors: 59
Break point conversions: 6 of 12 - 50%
Net approaches: 20 of 25 - 80%
Total points won: 153

At the end of the day - only 5 points separated them in over 4 hours!!!

Match duration four hours 05 minutes

Björki
01-26-2005, 05:44 PM
I think it will depend on how well he does in Rome/Hamburg Bjorki. If he reaches the latter stages of both he may need a week off.

but he has to tell the tournament earlier I think. :( Maybe he
already know in Monte Carlo. Hope so :)

thanks for the stats Rosie.

justClaudia
01-26-2005, 05:45 PM
I've been here earlier but I couldn't post because I was not sure how I was felling,and really didn't knew what to say!

It's this bitter sweet felling..
I think he could have won.
I think he deserved to win.
But at the same time I fell proud...he put up a great fight.
And know that I read Rosie's last post..only five damn points.

I'm a mix of dissapointement and happyness...
I believe he will learn a lot from this match...
What hurts ,makes us fell stronger. So I hope!

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 06:29 PM
I guess most of you will probably read this at some stage anyway - but I just really loved this post over on GM. It comes from a real Hewitt Fan called FanOfHewitt. I think some of the stuff he says about David is great and it's so good to hear those words coming from a totally objective tennis fan and not just another David fan if that makes sense.

Fantastic match by both guys.

Really impressed by Nalbandian's fitness in this match. He seemed to be moving better as the match wore on which is incredible, especially considering the mountain of work he had done just to get to the quarter final.

Was also very impressed with Nalbandian's style of play. I must say, when it's on, like it was in the last three sets, it's probably the second most aesthetically pleasing style of play in men's tennis (behind only Roger Federer's style of play).

He really is a craftsman and uses every inch of the court to extract uncanny angles and openings. Very smooth and elegant with his stroke making as well.

I think he can really give the Australian Open a shake in years to come. Unfortunately his form this year didn't meet the standard he set in 2004 where he was looking extremely sharp. If he can get back to that kind of standard of play he would be be a difficult task for anyone to handle.

jazz_girl
01-26-2005, 06:37 PM
I read it earlier and I goor repped her cause it's a great post.
After the match I started thinking and I was sure he had the gained the respect of a lot of people and also new fans, and this post just proves it.
A lot of tv shows were commenting on David's match and instead of killing him for having lost, they were saying the nicest things and the spirit he had, and that's reconforting :)

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 07:06 PM
I guess most of you will probably read this at some stage anyway - but I just really loved this post over on GM. It comes from a real Hewitt Fan called FanOfHewitt. I think some of the stuff he says about David is great and it's so good to hear those words coming from a totally objective tennis fan and not just another David fan if that makes sense.

Fantastic match by both guys.

Really impressed by Nalbandian's fitness in this match. He seemed to be moving better as the match wore on which is incredible, especially considering the mountain of work he had done just to get to the quarter final.

Was also very impressed with Nalbandian's style of play. I must say, when it's on, like it was in the last three sets, it's probably the second most aesthetically pleasing style of play in men's tennis (behind only Roger Federer's style of play).

He really is a craftsman and uses every inch of the court to extract uncanny angles and openings. Very smooth and elegant with his stroke making as well.

I think he can really give the Australian Open a shake in years to come. Unfortunately his form this year didn't meet the standard he set in 2004 where he was looking extremely sharp. If he can get back to that kind of standard of play he would be be a difficult task for anyone to handle.

I good repped her for it. She deserved it. The Hewitt fans deserve our heartfelt thanks for being courteous fans. Never once did they insult or berate us. Hewitt should be proud to fans like that.

*Ljubica*
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I've run out of Reps for a while - but FanOfHewitt will be first on my list when I can Rep again! Yes- the universal praise that David is getting is great - in the media and amongst fans worldwide. I hope he can take heart from it and look forward positively.

sigmagirl91
01-26-2005, 07:17 PM
I've run out of Reps for a while - but FanOfHewitt will be first on my list when I can Rep again! Yes- the universal praise that David is getting is great - in the media and amongst fans worldwide. I hope he can take heart from it and look forward positively.

Of course. The outpouring of support and affection has been overwhelming.

Gonzo Hates Me!
01-27-2005, 12:33 AM
I just saw the match! David had a lot of guts! He was so close! And he is so cute when he is angry. I now saw everyone's observations of David being quieter and more reserved. Like Sigma said, life can change you like that :sad: I am so proud of David--the way he played and his determination. Maybe I am a horrible fan, but I didn't expect him to do THIS well! I love to be proven wrong!!! I have so much faith in him for the rest of the year and I am so happy he started off the year getting to the quarters of the first slam, after all the obstacles he's tackled!! VAMOS DAVID!!

Doctor Dance
01-27-2005, 12:37 AM
i'm sorry to all the nalbandian fans :hug: :sad:

i was praying throughout the match he would beat that awful hewitt but he didn't. he tried so hard and i was very pleased with his effort

everyone keeps telling how much of a fighter hewitt is but what about david? coming back from 2 sets down against a hostile home crowd would suggest he showed a lot of fight as well!

sigmagirl91
01-27-2005, 12:40 AM
i'm sorry to all the nalbandian fans :hug: :sad:

i was praying throughout the match he would beat that awful hewitt but he didn't. he tried so hard and i was very pleased with his effort

everyone keeps telling how much of a fighter hewitt is but what about david? coming back from 2 sets down against a hostile home crowd would suggest he showed a lot of fight as well!

Thank you, DD. :)

Action Jackson
01-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Yes, that was a tough defeat to take, but as I said when it came to the Gaudio match, he played like a man and took defeat like a man as well. I mean he fought so hard to come back and the only that really pissed me off is that he had 30 all on many of Hewitt's serves in the 5th set, but couldn't take that step.

I promise to write a report tomorrow and yes I was there and my old saying still rings true. The loss is worse to take when you are actually there.

Jennay
01-27-2005, 12:57 AM
:hug: :hug:

David put everything out on court. It was a pleasure to finally see a whole match of his uncut. Though I would have been exuberant if he had won, I am still proud of him for coming back and sticking through that 5th set. :)

This is a positive for the rest of the season, I'm sure. :D

bad gambler
01-27-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi guys :wavey:

Hard luck on the loss. I was there last night and for those interested i posted my experience of the night in LLeyton's forum under the AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2005 thread.

I know you guys are proud of nalbandian, as so you should, he was superb and I expect him to have a stellar 2005.

*Ljubica*
01-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks bad_gambler.........I will go and read your report now. Yes we are all proud of him :) Thanks also to Doctor Dance and to GWH - glad you got your tickets - look forward to your report too!

*Ljubica*
01-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Better late than never - GWH's report on David's match with Gonzalez:-

Gonzales vs Nalbandian. This I thought would be a good match for Nalle as he has a very good record over Gonzo and the best thing about this match it was the one after the Cañas mauling, so I didn't have to move too far and the court was packed as well. The Chilean fans definitely outnumbered the Argentines and luckily it wasn't football and there was some good singing going on which is always good. That's the thing with the Chilean players as there are so many Chileans around the world, they can always get big support.

The match started out in the usual pattern Gonzo trying to dominate with the big forehands and Nalle using his Gonzo's power to change the direction of the ball on his strokes. Nalle got a lead and was playing well better than he was against Ventura and he had to go against a better opponent. Then the evil Nalle service let him down, please could you get some kick to that serve and better length, Coria has a serve that doesn't get broken as often and he can do better than that. As he was serving for the 1st set then Gonzo started being more aggressive and the winners were flowing and he broke the back, then got some momentum from the Chilean fans and took the 1st set.

As to be sure whether he was going to continue on that vein I wasn't sure and felt that Nalle would be able to prevail in the end as Gonzo had some problems with his feet and the shoulder, so the pattern was that Nalle would hit some short angles and then just step up his game and he saw that Gonzo was struggling and the match totally changed when Nalle won the 2nd set 7-5, which he should have won the 1st set, but after that Gonzo was getting treated and not very happy with the situation and Nalle just ground him out and took the last 2 sets easily and it was a very good performance and he does have quite a lot of fans here, more than what some people would expect and the Chileans gave him a good ovation as well.

jazz_girl
01-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks a lot to everyone for the comments! :hug:

sigmagirl91
01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Great report. Thank GWH for me, Rosie.

sigmagirl91
01-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I just saw the match! David had a lot of guts! He was so close! And he is so cute when he is angry. I now saw everyone's observations of David being quieter and more reserved. Like Sigma said, life can change you like that :sad: I am so proud of David--the way he played and his determination. Maybe I am a horrible fan, but I didn't expect him to do THIS well! I love to be proven wrong!!! I have so much faith in him for the rest of the year and I am so happy he started off the year getting to the quarters of the first slam, after all the obstacles he's tackled!! VAMOS DAVID!!

To be honest with you, Mrs. Guga, I wrote David off when he lost the first two sets. I didn't expect the comeback, but hey....it was a great match in the end, and David should be commended for his courage and determination, even if the result was not in his favor.

*Ljubica*
01-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Great report. Thank GWH for me, Rosie.

He'll probably be over here later himself - he has the report from yesterday's match to give to us.

sigmagirl91
01-27-2005, 12:00 PM
He'll probably be over here later himself - he has the report from yesterday's match to give to us.

Cool.....I look forward to reading it.

Action Jackson
01-28-2005, 06:08 AM
The Hewitt vs Nalbandian report.

I saw David practicing with Eduardo in the evening, Eduardo doesn't have a bad backhand and it was only a short session and his brother was there. I had never seen him, but the eyes were too similar then I looked at the badge and yes they are brothers. There were some pissed clowns from the top walkway screaming "you're going down Nalbandian", it's alright he didn't take any notice at all.

This match was very difficult to be a Nalbandian fan as it was national day with a bunch of Aussies and I didn't get a ticket, but the square was packed for sure. Hewitt got out early and was playing very well and Nalle seemed a bit out of sorts and was making some errors that he normally wouldn't. I just hoped that the nerves would settle down eventually and then he would be able to show some of his talents.

Hewitt settled quicker and took the 1st set easily, then Nalle had 15-40 in the 2nd set and to me he had to win this game and get some momentum, but sadly he blew it and then Hewitt was able to refocus on the job at hand and was playing solidly and won the 2nd set to 2.

Lucky the fireworks which were very good, loud and spectacular well as much as I like fireworks anyway. This helped Nalle as he tightened up and wasn't making as many errors on that backhand as he was spraying them everywhere. Then Nalle was able to move Hewitt around the court and when he is playing well I love how he uses the court with angles and his ability to manouever the opponent out of court. He is improving and finally gets a break and takes the 3rd set.

The 4th set Nalle continues on the same vein and is hitting some good winners and it seems that Hewitt has gone off to the races for a while, but if it got to a 5th I doubt that the Potato will always be around at the end sadly. I thought Nalle had the chance for a bagel and I was chanting bagel, bagel and all the Aussies were so quiet during this time of the match and then Dave takes it for 6-1.

Here comes the business end now and knowing that Hewitt doesn't give away any presents. I was worried about Nalle's serve as everyone knows what a liability it can be at times. He is serving well by his standards and the thing that really frustrated me about this match was the amount of times that he had 30 all on Hewitt's serve and didn't make the return into play either into the net or just long on the backhand, then later he came out with great winners.

I was cheering on as best as I could, but Hewitt kept holding serve and I thought the longer he couldn't break Hewitt, the closer it was to Nalle losing his serve and at 8-8 the 15-40 and the head went down and he lost serve.

Hewitt then served it out and he was too good in the vital moments. Nalle played very well at the end and it was very close and in the future he can win those matches, but I am proud of the way he played.

The funny thing was the guys who were going for Nalle could see me walking away dejectedly as all the Aussies were celebrating, the thought of having to go for Hewitt was fresh in my mind and the head shaking was constant for at least 30 mins, but a good performance by both.

*Ljubica*
01-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the report GWH. So - am I being stupid here? If you didn't have a ticket did you watch it on a screen - like the big screen on the Hill at Wimbledon? Sometimes I really love the atmosphere watching matches that way - it can be more fun than sitting inside the stadium :) Thanks for cheering David on in the face of adversity- I'm sure he would appreciate it :) Did you get a chance to see/speak to him afterwards at all? Did he look OK - not too sad I hope though that is probably a stupid question. Glad you got to see Javier eventually - he's a nice guy - and yes - their eyes are similar - he's very quiet but always pleasant I think. And - yes - I agree about Eduardo's backhand too - I think I said somethng similar here only the other day - sometimes I like to see a good, old-fashioned one-handed backhand - don't see them too much nowadays. Pity I can't be so complimentary about the rest of his game :devil:

Ah well - off to work - I am in a meeting most of the morning so doubt I will even be able to follow Roddick/Hewitt on-line. Thanks again :hug:

Chevina
01-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the report, I wish David won that match though.

Action Jackson
01-28-2005, 06:28 AM
It's similar to Henman Hill at Wimbledon. I couldn't get to see David, but I said bad luck about yesterday to Eduardo and good luck for the season, he knew that I was supporting him.

Nalle is our pet Norwegian name for Nalbandian, hence the reference.

FanOfHewitt
01-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Nice report GWH.

Just interested on your thoughts, what did you think of the crowd's behaviour during the match? Did you think they were out of line at any point or were they fair (as fair as can be expected by a parochial crowd)?

Also, I'd like to thank those that have had a kind word to say about me throughout this thread. It's also nice to see how well you are taking such a loss which must have been devastating after the tremendous fightback David showed. You are a credit to yourselves and to David as his supporters and it makes it all the more easier for me to cheer for him now knowing that he has such fair-minded fans.

Action Jackson
01-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Well the crowd well they could have been better, but I mean I think the crowds with the drunken morons without tennis sense at the US Open are a lot worse than anything that happened in that match.

*Ljubica*
01-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Nice report GWH.

Just interested on your thoughts, what did you think of the crowd's behaviour during the match? Did you think they were out of line at any point or were they fair (as fair as can be expected by a parochial crowd)?

Also, I'd like to thank those that have had a kind word to say about me throughout this thread. It's also nice to see how well you are taking such a loss which must have been devastating after the tremendous fightback David showed. You are a credit to yourselves and to David as his supporters and it makes it all the more easier for me to cheer for him now knowing that he has such fair-minded fans.

:hug: Thanks for your kind words FanOfHewitt. I wanted to GoodRep you for it - but it tells me I have to spread my GoodReps around first before giving it back to you again! I'll leave it to GWH to answer your fans question - he was there - I wasn't - but in my opinion the Aussie fans are about the best in the world - fun and a bit raucous at times - but very fair - they cheer their guy on without attacking the opponent as much as some other countries do. I remember seeing the Rafter/Ivanisevic Final at Wimbledon in 2001............my 2 friends and I were supporting Goran and everyone around us were Aussies supporting Rafter - but they were a great crowd - they embraced and congratulated us at the end and we all ended up going out for a few drinks afterwards :) Thanks again for your kind words - and now I really MUST go because I'm late for work :devil:

jazz_girl
01-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Nice report GWH.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FanOfHewitt again.
:hug:

jazz_girl
01-28-2005, 10:45 AM
The Hewitt vs Nalbandian report.

I saw David practicing with Eduardo in the evening, Eduardo doesn't have a bad backhand and it was only a short session and his brother was there. I had never seen him, but the eyes were too similar then I looked at the badge and yes they are brothers. There were some pissed clowns from the top walkway screaming "you're going down Nalbandian", it's alright he didn't take any notice at all.

This match was very difficult to be a Nalbandian fan as it was national day with a bunch of Aussies and I didn't get a ticket, but the square was packed for sure. Hewitt got out early and was playing very well and Nalle seemed a bit out of sorts and was making some errors that he normally wouldn't. I just hoped that the nerves would settle down eventually and then he would be able to show some of his talents.

Hewitt settled quicker and took the 1st set easily, then Nalle had 15-40 in the 2nd set and to me he had to win this game and get some momentum, but sadly he blew it and then Hewitt was able to refocus on the job at hand and was playing solidly and won the 2nd set to 2.

Lucky the fireworks which were very good, loud and spectacular well as much as I like fireworks anyway. This helped Nalle as he tightened up and wasn't making as many errors on that backhand as he was spraying them everywhere. Then Nalle was able to move Hewitt around the court and when he is playing well I love how he uses the court with angles and his ability to manouever the opponent out of court. He is improving and finally gets a break and takes the 3rd set.

The 4th set Nalle continues on the same vein and is hitting some good winners and it seems that Hewitt has gone off to the races for a while, but if it got to a 5th I doubt that the Potato will always be around at the end sadly. I thought Nalle had the chance for a bagel and I was chanting bagel, bagel and all the Aussies were so quiet during this time of the match and then Dave takes it for 6-1.

Here comes the business end now and knowing that Hewitt doesn't give away any presents. I was worried about Nalle's serve as everyone knows what a liability it can be at times. He is serving well by his standards and the thing that really frustrated me about this match was the amount of times that he had 30 all on Hewitt's serve and didn't make the return into play either into the net or just long on the backhand, then later he came out with great winners.

I was cheering on as best as I could, but Hewitt kept holding serve and I thought the longer he couldn't break Hewitt, the closer it was to Nalle losing his serve and at 8-8 the 15-40 and the head went down and he lost serve.

Hewitt then served it out and he was too good in the vital moments. Nalle played very well at the end and it was very close and in the future he can win those matches, but I am proud of the way he played.

The funny thing was the guys who were going for Nalle could see me walking away dejectedly as all the Aussies were celebrating, the thought of having to go for Hewitt was fresh in my mind and the head shaking was constant for at least 30 mins, but a good performance by both.
Thank you so much for the report, as always :)

sigmagirl91
01-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the report, George.

novanora
01-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks George for your great report. :D

yeah, i also noticed this firework time is a returning moment for David :lol: He did much better than before and made fewer errors, especialy his backhand. But can't deny Hewitt played crappy in 3rd and 4th set, which also gave David chance of chasing up. As we expected, Australian National Day gave Mr. Potato much pressure, and that firework time just mentioned this to him :lol:

I thought the longer he couldn't break Hewitt, the closer it was to Nalle losing his serve and at 8-8 the 15-40 and the head went down and he lost serve.
Agree, actually when he played to 5:5, and 6:6, i knew his chance is weak. He must hold every serving, which we know it's not easy for him. Personally, i don't think his serving is too bad at that match, but if you can't put enough pressure to Hewitt by serving, the baseline rallies chance was 5/5 to both. And have to admit Hewitt's serving is quite good in 5th set, though David also have chances of breaking, his crucial backhand errors just wasted some.

Good performance in 5th set for both.

novanora
01-28-2005, 03:35 PM
hi, Chevina :wavey:
are u the Chevina who was Jazz's Hopman Cup PTS partner several weeks ago?

jazz_girl
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi Chevina! :wavey:
It's so nice to see you over here :)

sigmagirl91
01-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Nice report GWH.

Hello again. I wish I could good-rep you, but I can't. Here's a :hug: instead. I would say David handled the partisan crowd well, considering his previous predisposition to temper tantrums. Anyway, we are just as proud of David's effort as we are of Hewitt's.
FanofHewitt, you are welcome to share with us anytime on this forum. We usually are a fun bunch. Thanks again for stopping by. :)

Fedex
01-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the excellent report, GWH.