*Hopman Cup* [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

*Hopman Cup*

RodFan08
01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Tommy beat Marat 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. What's next for Tommy? Doubles?

Neely
01-03-2005, 05:58 PM
doubles is already completed.... Haas/Grönefeld won it in a close affair, 7-5 2-6 10-6

Germany won 2-1 against Russia

I really never thought that they are going to beat Russia and thought they are pretty much without any chance in this group together with Russia and Argentina.

But now they got a nice win and maybe even the final is possible if Haas (and Grönefeld?!) can do more.

They really deserve this thread now ;) :p
thanks for opening it :yeah:

The next match is tomorrow (Tuesday Australia time) against Italy, Sanguinetti and Schiavone!

knight_ley
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Go Tommy!!!!!!!

:woohoo:

tommy_girl
01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
YAY!!! m so happy with the results. :clap2: :bounce:

liptea
01-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Yay Tommy! :hearts:

Neely
01-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Here are the stats from the session against Russia

www.hopmancup.com.au/docs/stats_hopmanxvii/Session4.swf

I didn't know that the Russians had 15 break points in the mixed doubles! :eek: they could convert 5 of them.
Wow, Germany can really be glad that they won this last Champions tiebreak.

Also take a look at the stats from the Haas vs Safin match.
Especially looks at Marat's 2nd serve percentage, he went just 12/28 in that category. Haas at least 19/32, above 50%.

NOMAD
01-04-2005, 06:00 PM
:woohoo: Tommy :woohoo:

Great match against Safin :clap2:

Go German! :bounce:

RodFan08
01-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Tommy beat Senguinetti runtinely 6-3, 6-2

woohooo :) Good Jub !!!:)

RodFan08
01-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Here are the stats from the session against Russia

www.hopmancup.com.au/docs/stats_hopmanxvii/Session4.swf

I didn't know that the Russians had 15 break points in the mixed doubles! :eek: they could convert 5 of them.
Wow, Germany can really be glad that they won this last Champions tiebreak.

Also take a look at the stats from the Haas vs Safin match.
Especially looks at Marat's 2nd serve percentage, he went just 12/28 in that category. Haas at least 19/32, above 50%.

THanx for the stats, Neely :)

Neely
01-05-2005, 01:29 AM
from Yahoo...

Germany on track for Hopman finals berth
Wednesday January 5, 05:23 AM

Unseeded Germany is on track for a berth in Saturday's Hopman Cup final following a 2-1 victory over Italy at Perth's Burswood Dome.

With the tie locked at 1-1 heading into the mixed doubles, Tommy Haas and Anna-Lena Groenefeld overcame Italian pair Davide Sanguinetti and Francesca Schiavone 7-6 (9-7) 6-4 to remain undefeated in the round-robin mixed teams tournament.

Germany upset top seed and tournament favourite Russia on Monday night and will guarantee a finals berth from Group A with victory over Argentina on Thursday.

The Italians, who also lost their opening tie against Argentina 2-1 on Sunday, have now lost all nine of their live doubles matches at the Hopman Cup, with one walkover victory against France in 2002.

"We tried to give our best shot and unfortunately they were too good today," Sanguinetti said.

"I have to congratulate Tommy, he played an unbelievable match in the singles and he deserved to win."

Earlier, Schiavone maintained her perfect singles record at the Hopman Cup with a three-set win over Groenefeld.

The Italian, who has a 6-0 record in singles competition, can count Kim Clijsters and Monica Seles among her list of Hopman Cup victims.

Haas then cruised past Sanguinetti 6-3 6-2 to send the tie to a decider.

Just as they did against Marat Safin and Anastasia Myskina the previous night, Haas and Groenefeld proved a potent doubles combination.

Groenfeld, 19, has shone in Germany's two doubles matches to date, happily going toe-to-toe with both Safin and Sanguinetti in their two victories.

Haas admitted he was impressed with his teenage partner's form.

"I'm thinking about playing some of the slams with her this year, because she's playing really terrific," he said.

"She hung in there very well in the first set and in the second set.

"I think she's only been broken once in the two mixed doubles and she's doing really well."

Germany is on track for a third Hopman Cup crown and first since 1995.

Win-less Italy will complete its round-robin matches against Russia on Thursday, the same day Germany meets Argentina's Guillermo Coria and Gisela Dulko.

Germans press home Hopman challenge
Unseeded Germany emerged as serious contenders for the Hopman Cup on Tuesday when they scored their second victory in as many days, downing Italy 2-1.

Germany, represented by former world number two Tommy Haas and 19-year-old Anna-Lena Groenefeld, had already upset tournament favourites Russia who boast world number fours Marat Safin and Anastasia Myskina as representatives.

Once again they combined well in the deciding mixed doubles to defeat Davide Sanguinetti and Francesca Schiavone 7-6 (9/7), 6-4 to sew up the rubber after splitting the singles ties one apiece.

Groenefeld showed periods of impressive talent but couldn't maintain the consistency needed to beat Schiavone, losing 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.

Haas had fewer hiccups as he coasted to a 6-3, 6-2 win over Davide Sanguinetti.

For Italy, it was their second loss in as many ties, having lost 2-1 to Argentina in their first, ending any hopes of reaching Saturday's final.

"It's always tough to play Sanguinetti, he plays very flat and goes for a lot of shots - I don't think he played his best game today and I just tried to take advantage of the chances I had," Haas said.

tom&ni
01-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Good God!!! This guy is unstoppable!! Win over Safin, win over Sanguinetti... what's next!? Oh, yes, he'll beat my countryman, "the wizard" Guillermo Coria and Gisela Dulko. They're pretty tough contenders, I know, but judging by Germany's results by now... they got it pretty worked out!!

GO TOM!!! AND GO ANNA-LENA TOO!!!

Oh, by the way, Tommy will be playing at the 2005 Medibank International. Check it out at www.medibankinternational.com

Agassi Fan
01-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I am so happy, that Tommy beat Safin!!!!!!! :-))))))