Gaston striking Oil in Qatar cheering thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gaston striking Oil in Qatar cheering thread

Action Jackson
12-31-2004, 06:55 AM
Yes, Gaston will be playing in Doha next week and I hope he can win a few matches, and I imagine the Qataris will spare no expense for the Roland Garros champion.

Vamos Gaston.

ZuZia
12-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Go Gaston, get some great momentum for 2005!

Fergie
12-31-2004, 11:48 AM
Vamos Gaston :bigclap:

Choupi
12-31-2004, 12:49 PM
I hope Gaston will be able to confirm his win at the Copa...
I'll have coverage of the tournament, but they won't show every matches. I just wish they'll show his so that I can make some reports here...Fingers crossed! ;)

*Ljubica*
12-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Yes - good luck Gaston - hope Eurosport show the right matches this time :)

User id 7816
12-31-2004, 03:02 PM
:bounce: G :bigclap: A :dance: S :rocker2: T :tennis: O :bowdown: N :bounce:

FIRST TOURNEY FOR 2005 - GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!!!
:)

reiko
12-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Hit some oil :lol: , too, in addition to balls :tennis: , Gaston!

Choupi
01-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Here's the link to the site of the tournament. The draws and the order of play should be published soon.

http://www.qatartennis.org/index.php?id=2

Gaston
01-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Go Gaston go. I hope he win this season a little bit more matches on hardcourt. A quartelfinal(or better:)) in Doha would be a great start in the year 2005.:)

Choupi
01-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Is it me or are there others among you who think that the official site of the tournament is late to provide infos? I mean, the tournament starts in less than 24 hours and still no draws or order of play in there! It's a shame, isn't it?

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Gaston has drawn Gael Monfils in the 1st round, it will be a tough match for him, then again he has to win these kinds of matches now.

Choupi
01-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Monfils? Oh it will be very interesting and my heart will be shared... ;) That young guy is good, very good! I've seen him in Bery and in Metz, and nothing scares him! He has character, he makes me think of Noah on some of his attitudes on the court...

Well George, do you know by chance what time the match is scheduled? Just to know if I have a chance to see it on Eurosport...

*Ljubica*
01-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm hoping to see that one on Eurosport too! It's still Public Holiday here tomorrow, so I have a free afternoon to watch 3 hours of tennis coverage :) Trouble is that Greg Rusedski plays tomorrow too - so because I get the "British Eurosport" feed, if he clashes with Gaston I will have no chance :sad:

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooo that nandrolone taking donkey face is going to stop Rosie from watching the Doha event.

I wonder if Gaston is going to play in Dubai.

Fedex
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm hoping to see that one on Eurosport too! It's still Public Holiday here tomorrow, so I have a free afternoon to watch 3 hours of tennis coverage :) Trouble is that Greg Rusedski plays tomorrow too - so because I get the "British Eurosport" feed, if he clashes with Gaston I will have no chance :sad:
Oh, but theres nothing like watching ol' Rusedski serve 30+ aces, all day is there Rosie?? :) That's what I call enjoyment. :)

*Ljubica*
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooo that nandrolone taking donkey face is going to stop Rosie from watching the Doha event.

I wonder if Gaston is going to play in Dubai.

:haha: We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that their matches don't clash! Mind you - it's not beyond British Eurosport to record "donkey-face" and show him instead of live tennis anyway :devil: :devil:

Fedex
01-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Apparently the draw is out, can someone post it here?? The official site is all fucked up at the moment, and so is the atp site.

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Oh, but theres nothing like watching ol' Rusedski serve 30+ aces, all day is there Rosie?? :) That's what I call enjoyment. :)

It was always enjoyable watching Todd Martin beat Rusedski.

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Apparently the draw is out, can someone post it here?? The official site is all fucked up at the moment, and so is the atp site.

If I could find all of it I would.

I know Gaston is playing Monfils. The Roddick protoype that is a better guy than Duckboy.

Federer plays Ferrer.

Fedex
01-02-2005, 12:42 PM
It was always enjoyable watching Todd Martin beat Rusedski.
Well, at least Martin had more than a serve; he had a good solid all around game. But watching Rusedski at all makes me quiver, but I suppose he might be tolerable to watch, if he were playing a guy like Santoro or Federer; Maybe, its still debatable.

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I am no fan of Greg, but Santoro well I will miss him when he retires.

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Rosie, was this post meant to be in this thread?

I can't believe all that oil money in Qatar and they can't get a functioning website happening.

*Ljubica*
01-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Rosie, was this post meant to be in this thread?

I can't believe all that oil money in Qatar and they can't get a functioning website happening.

:haha: NO - of course not - it was meant to be a reply to Choupi in David's "Say What You Want" Forum - I've deleted it now!!! Ooops!

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 01:13 PM
:haha: NO - of course not - it was meant to be a reply to Choupi in David's "Say What You Want" Forum - I've deleted it now!!! Ooops!

Just had to ask that's all.

*Ljubica*
01-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Just had to ask that's all.

Just living up to my "dumb blonde" reputation!

Btw Fedex - I read somewhere that Roger is due to play Rusedski in the 2nd round in Doha -you'll enjoy that won't you :devil:

Choupi
01-02-2005, 01:15 PM
You're forgiven Rosie. We do meet in so many different places here that you don't know where to reply... ;)
Well I do hope that French Eurosport will choose to show Gal vs Gaston. It's one of the advantages of my situation... ;) plus they will show the matches at a moment when I'll be home from work, so I'll do the report, don't worry!

And Yes George, I agree, it's a real shame that the site can't work properly, given the reputation the country has...

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 01:21 PM
I found these ones as well.

Davydenko-Karlovic
Nadal-Youzhny
Costa- D. Sanchez
T.Johansson-Santoro

Choupi
01-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Santoro/Johansson, interesting. Go Fabrice! Come on my twin!

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Here is the draw and I have to thank a Hungarian poster for this.

(1)Federer(SUI) - Ferrer (ESP)
Hernych (CZE) - Rusedski (GBR)
Mahut (FRA) - Q
Volandri (ITA) - (7)Lopez, Feliciano (ESP)

(3)Grosjean (FRA) - Muller (LUX)
Q - Lee (KOR)
Beck (SVK) - Andreev (RUS)
Karlovic (CRO) - (8)Davydenko (RUS)

(6)Ljubicic (CRO) - Q
(WC)Lopez, Marc (ESP) - Ulihrach (CZE)
(WC)Abdulla (QAT) - Verdasco (ESP)
Nadal (ESP) - (4)Youzhny (RUS)

(5)Pavel (ROM) - Q
Sanchez (ESP) - Costa (ESP)
Santoro (FRA) - Johansson Thomas (SWE)
(WC)Monfils (FRA) - (2)Gaudio (ARG)

*Ljubica*
01-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for posting that GWH. Nadal v Youzhny looks interesting.

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I wonder who is in the qualies and Gaston doesn't have the easiest section.

lsy
01-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Quite a strong field actually, didn't know that.

Good luck Gaudio, certainly in a tougher section :bounce:

Choupi
01-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks for posting the draw, George, and thanks Carlitos for finding it! ;)

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 02:25 PM
The Qataris have plenty of money, so they can get the good players, but can't get a functioning website.

lsy
01-02-2005, 02:28 PM
as long as they have one decent live scores board :o

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Don't ask for too much lsy.

lsy
01-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I thought that's the least to ask for

By the way...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :D

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes, well I hope it's as good as 2004 was in a tennis manner.

Choupi
01-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I thought that's the least to ask for

By the way...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :D

Happy New Year to you Isy! :D

And yes, you're right, a functioning livescore board would be the least to ask for but I wouldn't dream about it... ;) I'll have more chance to find all the scores in the teletext of our German chanels here than on the official website of the tournament! :D If you want me to post them, and if nobody has done it before of course, I'll be glad to help... ;)

lsy
01-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Yes, well I hope it's as good as 2004 was in a tennis manner.

oh...that's almost too much to ask for, having all slams won by players I like ;)

I just want Rogi to remain no.1, Gaudio to win another big title on clay, and if only Nalby can win that damn USO and some other of my favourites come back on tour healthy, I'll be thankful...oh...that's too much to ask for also right?

:wavey: Choupi! That'll be great, though I'm not sure if the time will be right for me to follow those livescores actually

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 02:41 PM
lsy, they are fair requests and I think the Rogi one is actually safe, but the others well we'll wait and see.

lsy
01-02-2005, 02:42 PM
lsy, they are fair requests and I think the Rogi one is actually safe, but the others well we'll wait and see.

Can I then add in for Rogi to win FO, else for Gaudio to defend it? Is that still fair? :p

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Can I then add in for Rogi to win FO, else for Gaudio to defend it? Is that still fair? :p

You know the saying that dreams are free.

Choupi
01-02-2005, 02:45 PM
:wavey: Choupi! That'll be great, though I'm not sure if the time will be right for me to follow those livescores actually
Well you'll be able to read them, that's not so bad...anyway, things will go the way I want for monday but for tuesday, I won't have the opportunity to follow the matches, I'll be at work and as I spend also the night there to have my boarded students have sweet dreams...I will only see the taped matches when I come back from work on wednesday so...but I'll do my best! :D

lsy
01-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Well you'll be able to read them, that's not so bad...anyway, things will go the way I want for monday but for tuesday, I won't have the opportunity to follow the matches, I'll be at work and as I spend also the night there to have my boarded students have sweet dreams...I will only see the taped matches when I come back from work on wednesday so...but I'll do my best! :D

:hug: thanks! Lucky you, have taped matches

so you think my wish is just wild dream, GWH :sad: Nice way to greet me in the whole new year :sad:

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 02:52 PM
:hug: thanks! Lucky you, have taped matches

so you think my wish is just wild dream, GWH :sad: Nice way to greet me in the whole new year :sad:

I have not mispelt your name wrong this year to me this is a bigger achievement than wishing you a happy new year, not that I want 2005 to be a bad one of course.

lsy
01-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I have not mispelt your name wrong this year to me this is a bigger achievement than wishing you a happy new year, not that I want 2005 to be a bad one of course.

aww...a big :hug: for you then...After one year, amazing achievement really, you just make my first wish of 2005 came true :yeah:

Action Jackson
01-02-2005, 03:22 PM
aww...a big :hug: for you then...After one year, amazing achievement really, you just make my first wish of 2005 came true :yeah:

Glad to have been of service.

RogiFan88
01-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Yes, strong field indeed, among my faves:

Rogi
Feli
Fernando
Rafa
Gaston
Albert

...so many Spanish guys!

I thought David was playing this...

Fedex
01-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Just living up to my "dumb blonde" reputation!

Btw Fedex - I read somewhere that Roger is due to play Rusedski in the 2nd round in Doha -you'll enjoy that won't you :devil:
Lets see if Rusedski can even get past the 1st round. :devil: I will enjoy it, only the part where Federer wins the match, and nothing else.

Fedex
01-02-2005, 08:36 PM
I am no fan of Greg, but Santoro well I will miss him when he retires.
Yes, I will also miss Santoro when he's gone.

Choupi
01-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Gaston will play doubles with Feliciano Lopez on monday. They will face Martin Damm/ Jared Palmer.

Here's the order of play. The site works finally... :D
http://www.qatartennis.org/index.php?id=9

I'm afraid I won't be able to comment his match against Monfils coz it will be on tuesday, and I'll be at work... :sad: I'll tape the broadcast but I'm not even sure they will show Gaston... :sad:

Adri
01-02-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm back! Happy New Year everybody!!!

Well let's hope Gastn does well in this tournament, I know Monfils can be tough and if he gets either Johansson or Santoro later it'll be even tougher. It would be a great start for his year if he managed to win. VAMOS GASTON!!!!

User id 7816
01-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Just saw Gaston will be playing doubles with Feli Lopez tomorrow, they play Damm/Palmer(3).....wish I could see it!!....hope they can win but if not, then just have some fun! :bounce:

User id 7816
01-02-2005, 09:35 PM
lol, yes I guess Choupi got me here;) I reeeeally hope Gaston will be sheduled during the TV time, after all he shd be as he's 2nd seed, so hope I can escape uni earlier and catch him!!

joeb_uk
01-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Its great we have coverage, i should be here to watch it on tuesday hopefully (back to uni on tuesday, but on monday i can watch all the matches) I am very happy to see my other favourite pipo is playing the preety boy on centre first up, i havent seen pipo play on tv for ages!! Kick some preety ass pipo :)

RogiFan88
01-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Gaston and Feli? Interesante... wish I could see that...

sigmagirl91
01-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Best of luck, Gaston.

sonatinca
01-03-2005, 09:05 AM
I see it's gonna be very interesting tournament :D
Wish luck to Gaston with Gael :bounce: :bigclap: :bounce:

Action Jackson
01-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Good to see 2 classy guys hanging out.

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=11951&bannerregion=

Federer, Gaudio Ride The Dunes In Doha

By Brad Falkner
01/02/2005

Roger Federer and Gaston Gaudio got dusted today. The two men who teamed to sweep the four Grand Slam titles last year, started the new year with new titles.

The top-ranked Federer and 10th-ranked Gaudio became honorary sheiks for the day or more precisely, about 20 minutes during todays promotional appearance in Doha for this weeks Qatar ExxonMobil Open.

Members of the media shook off jet lag and tagged along with the pair. Federer traded his classic Nike headband and Gaudio replaced his customary baseball cap for similar white kaffiyehs, the cloth headdress worn by Arab men.

The reigning Roland Garros champion and the men who collected the Australian Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open crowns took us on a trip to a place called "The In-Land Sea", which is about a 45-minute car ride from the Doha tournament site. Imagine the desert embracing the beautiful aqua-blue water and the sea spilling onto the sand and you get an idea for how captivating the Qatari coastline appears.

It looked like an Oasis, but might well have been called "Club Fed" as Federer was having a blast riding around in the sand on a 4 x 4 like a college kid enjoying his first day of spring break.

Before the two Grand Slam champions, clad completely in white, posed together for photos, the pair were hot-rodding up and down the desert dunes on the 4 x 4 like a couple of X-game all stars.

Federer, who is known for leaving opponents in the dust on court, And Gaudio, who feels most at home on the dirt, were spraying sand everywhere as they fish-tailed down the dunes. Gaudio even caught some air soaring higher even then his victory leap at Roland Garros. After their joy-riding they got regal and donned their thobes (the white outfits) and spent time posing in a tent and on the dunes. Federer even delivered few serves into the desert dunes. It was a mellow late-morning trip with everyone players, media and staff in good spirits. The weather, which had been cold here the last week, was a spectacular 24 Celsius. Gauido was accompanied by his brother and Roger was with his girlfriend, Mirka. I got to ride out to the site with the Gaudio brothers and we rapped for a bit in Spanish. The soft-spoken Gaudio was polite and looking forward to seeing the sights.

joeb_uk
01-03-2005, 03:08 PM
oh its replays :( at least we get the full volandri and fed match :D i was looking foward to seeing it live tho

*Ljubica*
01-03-2005, 03:19 PM
oh its replays :( at least we get the full volandri and fed match :D i was looking foward to seeing it live tho

And there was me looking forward to Greg Rusedski :devil: Mind you - much as I hate "nandrolene boy" as GWH calls him - why the hell are BS showing recorded highlights instead of live stuff? Makes me shudder for our Australian Open coverage this year.

User id 7816
01-03-2005, 03:28 PM
:hysteric: the Qatar site drives me nuts!!!! no live scores no anything

Choupi
01-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Alma, you can at least read the thread about Doha in the tournaments thread. There are a few ppl there who are doing a great job! :worship:

User id 7816
01-03-2005, 04:02 PM
hmmm yeah.....but I hope the site will atleast start to show some live score for the matches on Center....I know some ppl try and find scores, infact they give em on the ATP site, so hope we'll know Gato's doubles adventure outcome before tomorrow :rolleyes: VAMOS GATO!!!

joeb_uk
01-03-2005, 07:39 PM
They had sound problems early on, sounded like a busy train station with everyone speaking at the same time, it started to really piss me off.
Ahh yes, i am surprised the walking supplement machine wasnt shown (if it was tim, he would have been shown for sure, but hey maybe they dont like the nandrolone boy either)

*Ljubica*
01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
They had sound problems early on, sounded like a busy train station with everyone speaking at the same time, it started to really piss me off.
Ahh yes, i am surprised the walking supplement machine wasnt shown (if it was tim, he would have been shown for sure, but hey maybe they dont like the nandrolone boy either)

Guess we'll see him lose to Federer for sure ;)

*Ljubica*
01-03-2005, 07:53 PM
:bigclap: Seems that Gaston won his doubles' match. He and Feli Lopez beat Palmer/Damm 7/6 7/6.

User id 7816
01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
YES!!! :bounce: you rock guys, and they were the 3rd seed after all, great, I want pix of it pleeease :D but I think the score is 76 75
and next up are Pavel/Youzhny

Choupi
01-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Yep Alma you're right. The score is 7/6(3) 7/5. They will play A.Pavel/M.Youzhny in the 2nd round.

joeb_uk
01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Guess we'll see him lose to Federer for sure ;)
I think nandrolone man could provide abit of a challenge, but if fed starts reading his serve early he has no chance.

*Ljubica*
01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I think nandrolone man could provide abit of a challenge, but if fed starts reading his serve early he has no chance.

If Fed regularly gets Roddick's serve back I don't see nandrolene man giving him much bother :devil:

joeb_uk
01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
I remember how ivo karlovic pushed fed in the two matches they had (although i would say this guy has the best serve on tour)

Gstaad, Clay, R16
Switzerland

Clay

R16

Federer

6 7 6 3 7 6

Wimbledon, Grass, R16
England

Grass

R16

Federer

6 3 7 6 7 6

Although its a different story pushing him close to beating him. Will be interesting to see how he copes with with the nandrolone serve. I am also looking forward to seeing fed playing ivo again, to see how fed handles ivos serve now.

User id 7816
01-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Ivo must have had 90% 1st serve on those days :)

RogiFan88
01-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Choupi,

Youppi!!!

Gaston and Feli won! Anyone see that match??

User id 7816
01-03-2005, 10:42 PM
yeah it would be way too great if someone saw that match and came on that board and wrote something about it :rolleyes: ..... sigh, maybe if they won the tourney we shall get a pic or two....;)

Choupi
01-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Choupi,

Youppi!!!
Hi Rogifan, I just love your trick...sounds nice and funny! :D

Vale
01-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Have any of you seen this tennis scoreboard?:
http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/scoreboard
They are usually about 20late in posting results, its not live-scoring, but its quite user-friendly and clear to read.

Fergie
01-04-2005, 12:27 AM
I like this scoreboard http://www.livescore.com/tennis.dll

Vamos Gaston :bigclap:

liptea
01-04-2005, 12:29 AM
wah00 Gaston!!

liptea
01-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Everytime I hear Gaston, I still think of Beauty and the Beast.

Adri
01-04-2005, 02:08 AM
YAAAYY for Gastn and Feli winning! :banana:

Now all the best luck for Gastn in his singles match tomorrow :dance:

Choupi
01-04-2005, 08:20 AM
I'll tape the coverage of the matches this afternoon, coz I'll be at work...but I won't be able to see the match before tomorrow afternoon :sad:, as I spend the night there... :sad: I really do hope they'll show Gal and Gaston, or I'll be much disappointed when I come back from work tomorrow...

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 10:35 AM
they should show Gaston, atleast on International.

go GaStOn, show the kid who's daddy :devil: !!!!

Choupi
01-04-2005, 11:52 AM
The match will be tough I suppose but Gaston has to cope with those kinds of matches, hasn't he?
Take a look at this pic and tell me that this "kid" can be scared by sthg... ;)

Anyway, good luck to both of them-sorry but I'm divided... :confused: I do hope they'll offer us a quality show, as we expect them to do...

taysbest
01-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Anyway, good luck to both of them-sorry but I'm divided... :confused: I do hope they'll offer us a quality show, as we expect them to do...

Don't worry Choupi- we'll forgive you. I hope it's a good match regardless of who wins. (I'm cheering for Gaston in this one!)

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
First couple of times i saw monfils play, i wasnt too impressed (the hype i had heard about him before i actually saw his first match, i also really wanted to see him play). But the first couple of matches i saw him play in the juniors, maybe part of the reason. But i did enjoy watching him against hewitt, that was a great match. I just hope gaston doesnt get embarassed by et :D lets hope gaston is the guy embarassing him

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Btw, my dutch friend will hopefully be taping this match for me (he usually just records wta, but i buy alot from him) so sometimes i ask him to record matches for me. They are always great quality :) i think he has the few matches from the masters cup, ill have to buy them off him sometime

*Ljubica*
01-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Btw, my dutch friend will hopefully be taping this match for me (he usually just records wta, but i buy alot from him) so sometimes i ask him to record matches for me. They are always great quality :) i think he has the few matches from the masters cup, ill have to buy them off him sometime

They're showing it on British Eurosport joeb. Won't you be able to watch it?

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 03:24 PM
ok i am back in time to watch it (was at uni and had to get some books out from the library, luckily i got back at 1.30 :))

Choupi
01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Joe please, give us some report... I'm at work, helplessly wondering about how it goes for Gaston and Gal... :sad: Don't let me down please... :worship:

jazmin
01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
monfils just won with a score of 64, 76(4). although i am quite upset about gaston losing since it was such a beautiful match and he played pretty well, i must say that monfils' tennis was absolutely incredible. i'm guessing we'll be seeing much more of this guy.

ataxie
01-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Hello Jazmin! Another Frenchie here that's great! :wavey:

Yeah , I'm also disappointed as I was looking forwards to that match all day long ! They both played really good with some big and fantastic points , unfortunatly , Gaston started to look frustrated from the start , I don't know if you guys had the same feeling as mine , but Monfils played in a different state of mind , and I do think that that's what made the difference!!!! Gaston , please believe in yourself!!!!!!!!( And those damn footfaults :p )

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Gaston played like a retard, he made so many silly unforced errors and over played the drop shot way too much (monfils was very successful with the dropshot, whilst gaudio just made a joke of himself by losing every dropshot he played). to be fair, monfils is probably alot quicker than gaudio (apart from federer, coria and hewitt) i havent seen a faster player on tour at this current time (so why is gaston playing so many dropshots?)
I cant believe what silly tennis gaudio played. He came to the net a few times, with shit approaches and they got what they deserved. I dont know what he was doing today, but if he carries on like this, it will be the same story on hardcourts

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I mean the first few games gaston held serve to love, and then he got broken the game after because he played 3 terrible dropshots. he has so many games where he just collapses mentally, its a real shame.

jazmin
01-04-2005, 05:43 PM
hello! sorry to dissapoint, not quite a complete frenchie, more of a kid france adopted if i can say so. as for gaston not believing in himself, it's the same old story. let's just hope he'll get over it as time passes on. anyhow, for me (guess for u guys as well) he's the best :)

*Ljubica*
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Joe please, give us some report... I'm at work, helplessly wondering about how it goes for Gaston and Gal... :sad: Don't let me down please... :worship:

Well - I'm not Joe, - but my report is that Gaston played badly - simple as that - sorry :sad: He started quite well, but then his game went to pieces - he wasn't focused, and his shot selection was abysmal - far too many silly drop shots that Monfils chased down easily - far too many daft unforced errors, - a fair number of the dreaded "foot faults", and far too much muttering and grumbling and talking to the crowd :devil: Unfortunately he gave far too much ammunition to our "enemies" in the Coria camp, who will leap on this match as an example of how Gaston is "useless" and not a worthy RG champion and all that s*** - I can hear them now :sad: Monfils was good - no doubt - and showed a lot of potential, but, I'm sorry, a man of Gaston's age and experience should have beaten a lad like him every time. After he first broke Gaston in the 1st set, he lost his own serve straightaway - he was obviously tense and a bit overcome by the occasion, and Gaston should have capitalised on that - but instead he just played like an idiot and gave the advantge straight back to him and Monfils is too good to throw away so many opportunities. Btw - right off-topic - but I've decided I don't like Monfils :devil: He has talent - yes - loads of it - but far too much Hewitt/Roddick type shouting and gesticulating for me!

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Your report is exactly the same as myn rosie, too many unforced errors, retarded shot selection, and bad dropshots which occured to often (just about sums it up).
Every time i see gaston play he has problems with foot faults (he whines likes it the linesman, but its him)

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Btw - right off-topic - but I've decided I don't like Monfils :devil: He has talent - yes - loads of it - but far too much Hewitt/Roddick type shouting and gesticulating for me!
I am still undecided about him, i like elements of his game such as his great movement, and i especially love his forehand. Its great how he is able to step up and rip a forehand from anywhere, the fact there is also a distinct increase of pace (he isnt hitting 100% every shot) is great. He doesnt annoy me like a roddick, but i do admire some his talent.

MeluG
01-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Well, I obviously saw a different match. I think Gaston and Monfils pulled a great show. Gaston played very well considering how he dislikes hard courts. He continued his CAT strategy basing on super long drop shots. Maybe if he shortens the drop lenghs, they can be more accurate. He didn't seem frustrated to me. He showed a lot his backhand magic a lot during second set. I've seen him frustrated and this was not the case. The year is just begining and I only expect him to win 1 or 2 rounds at the AO. I'm sure he will play at noon with 40 C which he hates and there you will see him frustrated. Keep that in mind =O)

Nice show Gaston!!! Monfils will be a great player, very amazing passing shots.
And Monfils: it wasn't very nice to see this kid shout "Vamos" in spanish to a player who speaks the language right in his face...he could have just shouted in french. Safin for instance shouts in Spanish when he doesn't face spanish speaking players...

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 06:21 PM
To be fair, what difference does it make? it should have a positive effect, get gastons ass into gear :D But i am sure the pros know all the come-ons in different languages.

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 06:22 PM
frankly, I didn't see Gaston playing any different from his last hard court matches.
Of course those 3 drop shot points in a row he made and lost, simply cause Monfils is terribly quick and flexible were a great shame, and the unforced errors too many, so maybe it's useless to mention the unbelieavable easy volley Gaston missed in the tie-break to go 5-3 instead it was 4-4.....

But there is something about Monfils that carries him through, if you look you'd see fire in his eyes, thats one of the things I noticed. The other is that he's so quick and agile,and he's 1,90!....And he didn't seem to notice he was playing a top 10 guy, he looked fearless. All credits to him for today. Gaston just wasn't good enough for someone with these features today, and probably they will take Gael far.
More luck for Gaston in the next weeks, and hopefully a better draw in AO!!!

MeluG
01-04-2005, 06:23 PM
no, if a fly is near, Gaston gets affected. He's a sensitive kid...on a court as well. Why do you think he threw a smash right at Monfils' body? =O)

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Havent you noticed that like 50% of the tennis player scream VAMOS even if they r not spanish speakers or anything?....I wondered why, but I guess it's just an extremely popular phrase, almost as much as COME ON. I dont think they do it for a bad reason

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Seriously tho, you think it would affect him negatively? i cannot believe a professional would be negatively affected, surely it would make you more motivated and want to win more (not just act like a pussy)

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Havent you noticed that like 50% of the tennis player scream VAMOS even if they r not spanish speakers or anything?....I wondered why, but I guess it's just an extremely popular phrase, almost as much as COME ON. I dont think they do it for a bad reason
Yeah, even fed shouts it :D but i do feel, if you cannot handle someone shouting come on (you shouldnt be even playing sport)

MeluG
01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Among your list of players in your signature Joeb, you have 6 players who dislike to be shouted in the face during matches (Horna vs Coria from last year came to my mind). So calling Gaston that won't get you anywhere. Boris Becker hated it as well, he would always get broken when he lost concentration after scandal shout. Still, he made history...

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Shouted in the face? monfils shouted vamos from the other side of the court? unless i missed another one

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Of course Joe, what could be there about a Vamos? If they shout a**hole I can understand, but a Vamos?...plus, If u can handle a Vamos from a spanish speaker, u can handle it from anyone..oh wish I was a tennis player, I'd have killed anyone with my mental unbreakability lol

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
hehe, the rock alma :yeah: maybe gaston needs your traits ;)

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 06:40 PM
well I hope he's still talking with that psychologist sometimes, it would do him good.
I just hope he'll have some fun in the doubles, they will play with Pavel/Youzhny and they can win this!! ;)

MeluG
01-04-2005, 06:54 PM
well I hope he's still talking with that psychologist sometimes, it would do him good.
I just hope he'll have some fun in the doubles, they will play with Pavel/Youzhny and they can win this!! ;)

Pablo Pecora is part of his family, but don't think Gaudio is the one who needs him the most. Other players are working with him as well and not only argentines. Gaston's flaws today were not merely mental. He hardly starts the season wining matches. Last year he started even worse so I don't understand what all the fuss is about. In this one at least he forced a tie break. I am reading some argentine press comments and none are as harsh as the ones I found in this thread. :confused:

taysbest
01-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Ugh, I can't believe I can't get coverage on my TV. I really want to see Monfils....It's such a shame that Gaston lost, but I still want to see the match! Where is that stupid Tennis Channel??? I don't think they were showing Doha any way...

Marat speaks Spanish- he trained in Spain when he was younger.....someone mentioned that in regards to Vamos right? Now I forget......

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Melu I personally am not saying anything harsh about Gaston today, except the few things that everybody saw - the drop shots that didnt work for once as far as I remember, then its not logical to do 3 in a row, unsuccessful volleying, and I said I didn't see him play any different than usual, he had some brilliant points too. That's why my only statement is that Monfils won this match, yep, and thats it.
I believe Gaston will get more rythm later and even beat Hewitt in AO <<<<<<<<< :devil: :devil: :devil: ;) ;) ;)

*Ljubica*
01-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Shouted in the face? monfils shouted vamos from the other side of the court? unless i missed another one

No - I only saw the ones from the end of the court too Joe. And have to say I agree with all your posts - if an adult professional sportsman is so sensitive that he can't handle something like that then it's a bit pathetic in my opinion. And - sorry if I offended anyone with my "match report" - Choupi merely asked for a report so I told it how I saw it - and it happened to be pretty much exactly the same as Joe's view! I will always say what I think even if it isn't exactly complimentarty about my favourites - you should see/hear what I say about David's matches sometimes - and not just here on the Internet either!!! Still - it's all over now so good luck to Gaston and Feli in the doubles!

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
I dont know if there is anything worse than a fan who only compliments their favourite player. The real fans will actually be harder on their player and admit their mistakes more.
Concerning coverage tomorrow we are only getting one match rosie?

Adri
01-04-2005, 08:43 PM
I couldn't see the match so I don't have an opinion, I'm just sad he lost but there's still the doubles at least. And a lot of season left as well. :bounce:

*Ljubica*
01-04-2005, 08:59 PM
I dont know if there is anything worse than a fan who only compliments their favourite player. The real fans will actually be harder on their player and admit their mistakes more.
Concerning coverage tomorrow we are only getting one match rosie?

Don't know about tomorrow Joe. I was off work yesterday and today, but I'm going back tomorrow :sad: so I haven't taken so much interest! I guess it'll be Federer/Rusedski here anyway. And I agree with you 100% about one-sided fans - there's nothing more irritating (to me anyway) than the kind of web sites that always insist "their" player "thrashed" an opponent but never mention it if he loses :devil: :devil: The more you support a player, the more you get to know their style of play, their strengths and their weaknesses - and though you will always love and support them, as time goes on, you'll become more knowledgable about their game and probably more critical too! I know I am! And I also think players appreciate it - no professional wants a sycophant - and the ones I know would rather hear constructive criticism from someone they trust and respect than a horde of fluttery "you were brilliant" when they know damn well they weren't!!

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
The comentators said it was the slowest type fast court in Doha, then it must bother him less, yet he still couldn't cope with this. Then its not about the court, what is it about? Only he knows, and I wont dare to acuse him for his failiures on hard courts for there's always some reason, more or less acceptable...but I just want to see him smile more often, then it's easier to take a negative result, dammit!

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I agree with you Joe and Rosie, but I think you can let urself go and critisize when the both guys have not played great and your guy played worse, and I dont think Gael played bad today, on contrary he was inspired and didnt give up a ralley. So its kinda scary that you feel Gaston played too bad, considering that I thought he played like usually on a surface other than clay.

Vale
01-04-2005, 09:29 PM
I couldnt see the match so I cant comment on it, but I dont complain about his traits anymore. If he plays as he did in RG or in the final of the CAT, I am thrilled, but its no use moaning about the way he is. Every time he plays superbly I take it as a gift, and I just hope it becomes more frequent!

Corina2605
01-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Below Gaston's quotes taken from the ATP website. I didn't see the match, but Gaston sounds quite positive. Good luck to him in Australia!! Also, thanks Vale for translating this long Clarin interview, it was very insightful and interesting.

Gaudio: It's always difficult to play the first match of the year, getting used to the tennis again. I was trying to get back into the match but he was playing great. He deserved it for sure.

I heard so much about him but I saw saw him or played against him so it's always difficult playing a guy you don't know. He's a great player and will have an enormous future for sure. I was playing good tennis today and that made me feel good and I hope to continue like this.

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 10:36 PM
He sounds positive. Lets hope he will look as positive on court.

Andres
01-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I saw the match and I think Gaston tried the best he could. Think about yourselves coming back to work from a holiday break, would you be at your 100%? I don't think he deserves to be called in terms of "Pathethic" or anything like it.
Another thing is that Melu critizes him, look at some other posts from her and you will see. She just has faith in him, maybe some of you don't. Reading Corina's post I figured out that Gaston doesn't think too farfetched to what his fan said. The only ones with negativity towards Gaudio are you, think about it.

Andres Kellerman.

User id 7816
01-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Andres, I'm not sure exactly what you meant, but as to the faith part, I can assure you I have faith in him. I think we all do, cause he's our Gaston, but the whole story is for him to have faith in himself.

Action Jackson
01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
I can't comment really that much as I didn't see the match, but I have read all the comments so far, it seems that there has been some debate going on which can only be a good thing.

Yes, he lost to Monfils who was obviously better on the day and deserved to win.

Here is something for the people if they didn't know this already. Yes, I like Gaston a lot, but if he hasn't played very well on a given day, it has to be acknowledged as such.

I look it like this if I have acted like an arse or didn't play well, then I would expect my friends to tell me that I was behaving like a prick or if the game didn't go well, talk about what went wrong and acknowledge the opponent/opponents were too good when it counted.

It's only fair.

RogiFan88
01-05-2005, 01:54 AM
Well, it's always tough to play your first match of the new season, esp v. a much-touted young guy like Monfils, who almost did the Jr. Slam! Sometimes the first few titles of the year go to unlikely players also, so I wouldn't worry too much!

I hope Gaston and Feli continue in the dbles tho! VAMOS!!!!

RogiFan88
01-05-2005, 01:56 AM
Hmm... sounds like those dorks on ESPN:

"And I agree with you 100% about one-sided fans - there's nothing more irritating (to me anyway) than the kind of web sites that always insist "their" player "thrashed" an opponent but never mention it if he loses"

Notice how they suddenly selectively "forget" that Pandy ever loses a match to anyone??? They sure know how to "downplay" his losses... that's what irritates me!

Action Jackson
01-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Hmm... sounds like those dorks on ESPN:

"And I agree with you 100% about one-sided fans - there's nothing more irritating (to me anyway) than the kind of web sites that always insist "their" player "thrashed" an opponent but never mention it if he loses"

Notice how they suddenly selectively "forget" that Pandy ever loses a match to anyone??? They sure know how to "downplay" his losses... that's what irritates me!

Yes, that is so true. Then again I am fortunate in this regard as a tradition I have never really followed huge winners in sport and I think I am objective enough to able to criticise Gaston, Felix, Federer or whoever when it's deserved.

"Well Pandy fans' that's another league entirely.

RogiFan88
01-05-2005, 02:02 AM
I also forgot to mention that it's obviously tough to play someone you've never played before... Hi George!! [composing my message to you-know-who!]

Action Jackson
01-05-2005, 02:04 AM
True and Monfils didn't have anything to lose, but Gaston has to peak at the Slams and not worry about the results here. He is still in the doubles and that can give him some match practice as well.

RogiFan88
01-05-2005, 02:07 AM
George, I just got a video w the Moya/Gaudio match fr TMC but I haven't watched it yet... altho Gaston lost, I still want to see those two guys play each other. I w not mind re-watching the 2nd set of Gaston v. Rogi -- Gaston played a fab set despite him losing to my Rogi... great tactics and touch! Beautiful tennis fr a buen chico!

Choupi
01-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Well I've just finished reading all your comments here since yesterday...I'm still at work by the way...

I can't make any comment on the match, I still haven't seen it...but I was fearing what has happened. Gal has been stronger, that's all. We have to admit that. I told you that this "kid" wasn't scared by anything...remember I have seen him in Metz and he was so impressive! He's got the rage in him and playing a top 10 player or the winner of a GS doesn't make him more effect than if it was a qualifier (note I have nothing against qualifiers!!!). Gaston has told himself that Gal was a great player and that he had a brilliant future as such...And he had never played him, so it's difficult to judge...Besides, it was the 1st official match of the season, he can't be 100% straight.

But what annoyed me when I read your comments was that our faith in him has been discussed. I think we all here are believers...and we all have our personal way to express it. And if he hasn't played well, this shouldn't stop us from admitting it...fanship isn't blindness...I'm disappointed he has lost but what more can I say? I haven't seen the match. And when I have seen it, if I find that Gaston hasn't played well, I'll tell it. Coz that will be the way I would have lived it. Remember we have all our opinions and we should all respect each others'.

Finally, I really would like to thank all those of you who have been lucky enough to see the match, to have made your reports, whatever opinion about it was!!! Now I feel better coz I know more about what has happened. And I'm kind of relieved. :D

Choupi
01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Sorry if it's a little late but I'd like to come back on the famous "Vamos" shouted by Gal...It wasn't meant to disturb or tease or anything...it's just that that word has become totally part of our language here and though many of us French fellows can't speak Spanish, we use it very often...Only have a look at the official dvd of RG 04, for those of you who happen to have it- and I know some of you must have it!- in the bonus footage, before they entered the centercourt for the final, Fabrice Santoro and Michael Llodra have shouted Vamos very loud to wish them good luck!!!! So answered their trainer!!!

taysbest
01-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Well
But what annoyed me when I read your comments was that our faith in him has been discussed. I think we all here are believers...and we all have our personal way to express it. And if he hasn't played well, this shouldn't stop us from admitting it...fanship isn't blindness...I'm disappointed he has lost but what more can I say? I haven't seen the match. And when I have seen it, if I find that Gaston hasn't played well, I'll tell it. Coz that will be the way I would have lived it. Remember we have all our opinions and we should all respect each others'.

Good post!- We wouldn't be posting on this board if we weren't believers.

Is Monfils a big guy? He looks huge in the photos I saw today. GWH posted that his dad was a footballer so ..........thanks for that info GWH, I know very little about the guy.

As for the match- I didn't see it but hey, you win some, you lose some. Let's hope for some good results in the doubles, and for the next tournament.

reiko
01-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Choupi, good point re our being all "believers" here.
Also thanks for letting us know that "Vamos" is now
integrated in French vocabulary. :eek:

I am still to finish watching the match but here are some news articles.

Audio clips:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/audio/

AFP news:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11860892%255E2722,00.html ( http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11860892%255E2722,00.html)

French tyro arrives in a Gael

January 06, 2005
GAEL MONFILS, an 18-year-old Frenchman who has yet to compete in a Grand Slam event, beat French Open champion Gaston Gaudio in straight sets yesterday (AEDT) in Doha to signal himself as a high-class player of the present rather than the future.

Monfils, who needed a wild-card to enter this week's Qatar Open, reached the second round of the $US1million ($1.3m) event with an enthralling 6-4 7-6 (7-4) win over the second-seeded Argentine.

"I went into the match unafraid and tried to win from the start," Monfils said.

His confidence had been building all through 2004 when he won the Australian, French Open and Wimbledon junior titles.

Monfils stunned Gaudio with the pace of his hitting, especially from the forehand, and also with his speed across the court.

"One of the things I learned at Bercy (the Paris Masters in November) against Lleyton Hewitt was that I am not quite as good as I could be physically and I have worked a lot on that," he said.

Yesterday, he ran up an advertising board in trying to make one shot, and on another occasion he made Gaudio sag at the knees in disappointment at a backhand winner that erupted from way behind the baseline.

Monfils also managed to contain his urge to showboat - perhaps aware of the steady gaze of his new coach Thierry Champion - which has sometimes disturbed his focus in the past, and he stuck to the task right to the end.

"It was a big mental fight and I wanted to prove I was there at the end," Monfils said. "I wanted to stay serious all through."

Monfils was due to face a very different kind of test early this morning (AEDT), against his compatriot Fabrice Santoro, a former champion in Qatar.

AFP

Qatar newspaper The Peninsula:
http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Sports%5FNews&subsection=Tennis&month=January2005&file=Sports_News2005010522127.xml

French prodigy Monfils stuns No. 2 seed Gaudio
Web posted at: 1/5/2005 2:21:27
Source ::: The Peninsula/ by RIZWAN REHMAT

DOHA: Wildcard entry Gael Monfils of France yesterday launched his new season in magnificent fashion as he upset second seed Gaston Gaudio of Argentina at the $1m Qatar Open.

Only 18 years of age, Monfils justified his wildcard entry at season-opener by upseting the world No.10 from Argentina in straight sets. Monfils, who last year lifted three Grand Slam titles at the junior level, won 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).

Monfils, attired in bright blue shorts and jersey, relied on his huge first serve and lithe movements on court to send the 2004 French Open champion crashing out of the match, which watched, among others, by the Emir, H H Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, and Argentine soccer star Gabriel Batistuta.

This is certainly the best win of my career. In fact, this is my first ever victory over a top-10 player. I am obviously very happy but I must thank the Qatar organisers for giving me a wildcard to enter this tournament, Monfils said.

I play my best tennis when I am all fired up and that is why the fans saw me so excited on the court today. I also play well when I get a lot of fan support and there was plenty of support for me from the fans here, the teenager said.

Playing mainly from the baseline, Monfils broke the experienced Gaudio in games five and seven to take the first set in little over an hour. Although Gaudio managed a service break in game six, it was not enough to stop Monfils from taking the lead in the match.

In the second set, both players held their serve to draw level at 6-6 before forcing a tie-breaker to decide the fate of the match. Despite seemingly running out of steam, Monfils exhibited nerves of steel as he rallied twice against Gaudio in the tie-breaker.

In the tie-breaker, Gaudio raced to 4-3 lead after Monfils hit two returns into the net.

However, Monfils kept his cool as Gaudio hit his next two returns long and another couple of shots into the net to walk off the court a disappointed man.

On the contrary, Monfils was an absolute picture of delight after the winning point.

taysbest
01-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks for those Reiko!

Monfils is certainly excited about his achievement! It seems like he's got a big future ahead.

*Ljubica*
01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Good post!- We wouldn't be posting on this board if we weren't believers.

Is Monfils a big guy? He looks huge in the photos I saw today. GWH posted that his dad was a footballer so ..........thanks for that info GWH, I know very little about the guy.

As for the match- I didn't see it but hey, you win some, you lose some. Let's hope for some good results in the doubles, and for the next tournament.

I think our commentators said he was 6ft 4in - so yes - a big guy! He isn't so "filled out" yet if you know what I mean, because he's still young (and probably still growing :eek: ), but his build is broad-shouldered so I think he will end up a sort of man mountain!!!

Choupi
01-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Some of you seem to want to know more about Gal..well he's 6'3'', 165lbs. So a big baby as you see...and yes I think like Rosie that he'll end up his carrer being a true monster!

Some more infos on him. He was born in Paris. He's from Martinique origin but is French. Full name Gael Sebastien Monfils. His father, Rufin, a former soccer player, is an agent for France Telecom and his mother, Sylvette, is a nurse. Also has a younger brother. Considers Arthur Ashe to be his favorite player. Enjoys listening to music, in particular R&B. If he didn't play tennis he'd play basketball. Coached by countryman and former ATP pro Thierry Champion (since September 2004).

Here's a pic taken in Bery after the match against Hewitt. See the size difference! And Lleyton isn't that small...

User id 7816
01-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Well Gael is a big guy, but he seems perfect for basketball for sure, I watched him
with Santoro today, who's like his total opposite, but he's still young and Santoro is smarter and knew the moment to push harder.

And, Gaston and Feli lost the doubles 67 46 :sad: ...Wished they could win one more match but alas.....Next time.

Choupi
01-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Well Gael is a big guy, but he seems perfect for basketball for sure, I watched him
with Santoro today, who's like his total opposite, but he's still young and Santoro is smarter and knew the moment to push harder.
Yes Alma my twin Santoro has made a great match today. I'm so happy for him. Hope he's gonna go further...He seems to have totally recovered with his wrist...Can't wait to see him live in the DC 1st round in march...

taysbest
01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Some of you seem to want to know more about Gal..well he's 6'3'', 165lbs. So a big baby as you see...and yes I think like Rosie that he'll end up his carrer being a true monster!

Some more infos on him. He was born in Paris. He's from Martinique origin but is French. Full name Gael Sebastien Monfils. His father, Rufin, a former soccer player, is an agent for France Telecom and his mother, Sylvette, is a nurse. Also has a younger brother. Considers Arthur Ashe to be his favorite player. Enjoys listening to music, in particular R&B. If he didn't play tennis he'd play basketball. Coached by countryman and former ATP pro Thierry Champion (since September 2004).

Here's a pic taken in Bery after the match against Hewitt. See the size difference! And Lleyton isn't that small...

Thanks for the info- yes- he looks like a big boy for sure,

I'm sad they lost in doubles :sad:

RogiFan88
01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Aww... poor Gaston and Feli... it was nice while it lasted...

reiko
01-06-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12221&bannerregion= ( http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12221&bannerregion=)

French Prince Monfils Masters Roland Garros King Gaudio In Doha

By Brad Falkner

01/05/2005

The perspiration poured from the young man who came of age in a performance that was pure passion personified. It began as a tennis match and concluded as a coronation for a future champion.

Wild card Gael Monfils inspired, electrified and totally satisfied a spirited multitude of cultures that included his Highness the Emir Sheik Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani with a stunning 6-4, 7-6(4) victory over reigning Roland Garros champion Gaston Gaudio in a gripping opening-round encounter at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha today.

"I went into the match unafraid and tried to win from the start," Monfils said. "It was a big mental fight and I wanted to prove I was there at the end. I wanted to stay serious all through."

It was the French phenom's first career victory over a top-10 player. And if this match is any indication of Monfil's future, the 18-year-old who swept the Australian Open, Roland Garros and Wimbledon junior championships in rising to the top of the ITF junior rankings last year, is destined for a prominent place in the elite regions of the ATP rankings before his 21st birthday.

Anticipation of the impending clash between a current and perhaps future champion created an exciting atmosphere before the first point was played. A raucous crowd was evenly divided between the South American contingent, cheering loudly for Gaudio, and the local Qatari youth, who were strongly supportive of their fellow teenager.

The pair stayed on serve until the fifth game of the first set when the Frenchman unleashed a crackling cross court winner on his third break point opportunity to take a 3-2 lead. The second-seeded Gaudio immediately broke back at love evening the set at three games all.

Unwavering, the 239th-ranked Monfils held the course and responded with a second service break, taking a 4-3 lead. After dropping serve, the emotionally-expressive Argentine responded by chucking his racquet onto the absorbent Rebound Ace court, then picked it up and tossed the racquet down again for good measure as if testing the flexibility of his Wilson frame.

This time Monfils refused to relinquish the break and consolidated for a 5-3 advantage. Content to spin in his serve for much of the opening set, Gaudio responded with a service hold to close to 4-5 and place the pressure on the teenager, who entered this encounter with exactly five career ATP matches under his belt, to serve out the set.

Stepping up to the service line, Monfils showed his impressive versatility both in his shot selection and in his celebratory screams. Switching from French to Spanish to English and finally back to French to accent his bold fist pumps, Monfils dropped two service bombs on Gaudio en route to holding serve in closing out the opening set, 6-4.

Though French is his native tongue the former number one junior is linguistic master when it comes to his vocal exhortations.

An explosive shot maker, the six-foot-three Monfils is already one of the most impressive teenage athletes on tour. He has a long reach, cat-like quickness and is an outstanding leaper with the ability to close quickly on the ball. His on-court charisma may remind many of fellow Frenchmen Yannick Noah and Henri Leconte, but Monfils' actual style and enthusiasm for competition recalls another former top-ranked junior: Andy Roddick. His service motion is nearly identical to Roddick's though it lacks a bit of the American's power, but Monfils' movement may well be better than Roddick's was at the same age. Like Roddick at the same age, Monfils does not hold back on his favored forehand and while his backhand wing can be solid it cannot quite be classified as a weapon, particularly in the backhand exchanges with the exquisite Gaudio one-hander.

Intent on establishing supremacy in the second set, the 10th-ranked Gaudio steadied himself by reducing his unforced errors and forcing the teenager to play within himself. Both men upped their level of play to match the intensity that filled the gulf coast air. The clay courter had his young adversary on the dead run for many of the breathtaking second-set rallies, beautifully mixing in a cluster of drop shots for good measure. Yet neither man seemed capable of gaining complete authority, forcing the second set to be decided by a tiebreaker.

The second set tiebreaker provided the perfect climax to the exhilarating affair featuring the finest rallies of the evening. Monfils seemed nearly out of gas, but found the accelerator when he he caught a glimpse of the finish line. At four-all, Monfils grabbed the mini-break for a 5-4 lead.

Maintaining his poise, Monfils held his nerve and serve to seal the victory on his first match point when a Gaudio forehand met its demise in the net.

The resounding crowd response was well-earned by this high-quality contest. The crowd weren't the only ones appreciative of Monfils efforts. When the young man entered the media center he was greeted with the rarely-received standing ovation punctuated by chants of "well done Monfils!" as the royal family was on hand to honor him for his efforts.

In Wednesday's second round match the future of French tennis meets one of its current masters when Monfils takes on compatriot Fabrice Santoro. If you have any frequent flier miles remaining, buckle up and get yourself to Doha and watch what should be a highly-entertaining match.

Gaudio was one of three seeded players to fall today. Spain's Rafael Nadal defeated fourth-seeded Russian Mikhail Youzhny, 6-3, 7-6(3) and 142nd-ranked Swiss Marco Chiudinelli upset fifth-seeded Andrei Pavel, 7-5, 6-7(8), 6-4, in Tuesday's only match to span three sets.

In other opening-round results:

(WC) G. Monfils (FRA) def. (2) G. Gaudio (ARG) 6-4, 7-6(4)
(3) S. Grosjean (FRA) def. G. Muller (LUX) 7-6(3), 6-2
R. Nadal (ESP) def. (4) M. Youzhny (RUS) 6-3, 7-6(3)
(Q) M. Chiudinelli (SUI) def. (5) A. Pavel (ROM) 7-5, 6-7(8), 6-4
(8) N. Davydenko (RUS) def. I. Karlovic (CRO) 7-6(7), 6-3
K. Beck (SVK) def. I. Andreev (RUS) 6-3, 6-4
F. Verdasco (ESP) def. (WC) M. Abdulla (QAT) 6-2, 6-2
A. Costa (ESP) def. D. Sanchez (ESP) 6-3, 6-4
F. Santoro (FRA) def. T. Johansson (SWE) 6-4, 6-2

The Tennis Channel's Brad Falkner is in Doha to cover the Qatar ExxonMobil Open for the second consecutive year and will file occasional stories for this web site. Please email any questions for Brad to this site.

reiko
01-06-2005, 04:03 PM
My VCR did not record the match but something else.....
No big deal; I will watch something else from GG 2004.

the drop shots that didnt work for once as far as I remember,
then its not logical to do 3 in a row, unsuccessful volleying,

Gaston has a reason to do that, I believe. I remember many similar occasions in his other matches. But later at some crucial moments in the match he scored with these shots and won. It was not always the case but in 2004 this happened often enough. I even think he must have been practicing the shots in early stage of a match so that he could execute them when it really mattered.

Vale
01-06-2005, 05:46 PM
That comment about the Gaudio-Monfils match was quite something! It makes me wish I had seen that second set. Now I understand why Gastn said he was pleased with his game, even though hed lost.

User id 7816
01-06-2005, 07:07 PM
lol, i just wrote a message and my browser got screwed, :rolleyes: well i'll make it shorter. for the drop shots, atleast i found it quite weird to do 3 in a row and on the very same place, when he see the first is picked easily and so is the second, then why do a third in the same spot and lose the game :rolleyes: you say maybe it was to practice it, but it did not seem a good idea against this guy in the moment, even though Gaston has got quite good skills on the drop shots...but anyway, it's just a part of a whole match so, its no big deal.

thanx for the article!!....I'd like to think Monfils is a talented and expressive guy, but it would be better if they compare him less to Roddick :rolleyes:

Adri
01-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks for posting that article :)

It's important that Gastn said that he felt good, maybe for us it didn't seem that way but what matters is that he felt that way. Anyway, as I said the season's just starting, and I'm sure he'll show us some great results all throughout it :bounce:

So his next tournament is the Kooyong exhibition, right?

Andres
01-07-2005, 06:57 PM
lol, i just wrote a message and my browser got screwed, :rolleyes: well i'll make it shorter. for the drop shots, atleast i found it quite weird to do 3 in a row and on the very same place, when he see the first is picked easily and so is the second, then why do a third in the same spot and lose the game :rolleyes: you say maybe it was to practice it, but it did not seem a good idea against this guy in the moment, even though Gaston has got quite good skills on the drop shots...but anyway, it's just a part of a whole match so, its no big deal.

thanx for the article!!....I'd like to think Monfils is a talented and expressive guy, but it would be better if they compare him less to Roddick :rolleyes:

Three dropshots in a row in the same place: that's typical of Gaudio, watch all his RG matches. Watch him against Federer in Hamburg last year.