When was Andy playing his best this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When was Andy playing his best this year?

Fumus
12-30-2004, 05:03 AM
I think the grass season was the best Andy played all year, other than that...what other time could you say he really played well?

Hmm...that's a head scratcher!

The first two matches at the masters were decent...I dunno...I just sorta felt like all year he didn't step up except for that brief period durning the grass season.

MisterQ
12-30-2004, 05:16 AM
He played well in Miami. Wow, that feels like so long ago... :eek:

Havok
12-30-2004, 05:45 AM
Yeah, he played well in Miami. If you don't look at his semi-tank match vs Hewitt, and some retard tennis vs Coria, then he did play well at TMC. Erm, you can throw in Toronto (though not the finals), Cincy, Queens, and Indy. Though he did get to the Wimbledon finals, he wasn't playing great throughout, he definitely played his C game, maybe B to get to the finals.

superpinkone37
12-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Miami was obviously great, and except for dead rubbers and in the matches in Spain, he always seems to play great during Davis. For example, the Bjorkman match comes to mind :)

And at TMC I was amazed at how well he was playing against Henman and Safin going to net and everything, and really thought he was playing well....that is until the awful Hewitt match :fiery:

heya
12-30-2004, 08:29 AM
He mentioned, "The rest of us have to raise our level because of Federer..."
People yap
(DC teammates, John&PMcEnroe, Courier, Washington, Carillo, Drysdale...)
to him about his bad movement and explosive serve/power.
Notice that they praise his personality, but they
can't care less about his "finesse," legacy & potential.
Nobody should be in his way.
I hope he ends his HUGE fear & get selfish again.
2004 was all about cancelling major events, Gilbert, dating and exhibitions..
He DID tank + lost interest like Safin did.
CNN World Sport/Sky show showed his practice sessions this autumn...
he's:
1- not running in practice
2- avoiding clay
3- not doing passing shots
4- not returning/doing drop shots so he can improve
5- not getting ready early and sleeping better
6- not punching volleys a lot
He rarely takes his left hand off the racket to slice & try angles.

MissFairy
12-30-2004, 01:18 PM
i think he played well at Queens, the match against Hewitt in the semis was a highlight...yeah overall the grasscourt season was a success, and then TMC was yum...well the first 2 matches, the timmy one :worship: one of my favourite matches of the year to be honest (and i like tim :lol: ) ummm...yeah and the DC was good for most part (ahem bar seville, tho he tried hard??)

Deboogle!.
12-30-2004, 02:19 PM
his 2 DC matches against Sweden. That set against Bjorkman ....

He also played extremely well at the AO, even in the QF. That might have been the one big tournament he played every match well, even the one he lost.

Fumus
12-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Yea but like...when he lost to Andre in Cinncy that wasn't his best tennis, when Andy won RCA that was not his best, infact the whole summer I felt like he was tired/didn't care because he lost wimbly. There was this gap between AO and Wimbly where he just didn't play well. Then he did play well in Davis Cup but, lets remember the caliber of people he played there. Bjorkman and Max are good but, he has no business losing to them ever. That said, he really did play well for all the home DC matches, he was pumped showing off his serve and making like no uf errors. I really didn't feel like at any point this year there was time when he was playing like summer 2003. I mean to say his physical play has improved but his confidence and ability to step up against the big players wasn't there and it was a let down at times. :sad:

Havok
12-30-2004, 06:47 PM
No it wasn't his best tennis he could produce, but you asked the best tennis he played this year.:p That is why such tournaments were named. Skyler you totally missed Miami in your "big gap between AO and Wimbledon." Though I know why you might have said that, seeing as though the whole entire clay season was in between those two.:retard:

Fumus
12-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Yea, he did play well at Miami, he strung a few matches together there. That wasn't the best he played all year but, it was good...yea..

Black Adam
12-30-2004, 07:40 PM
In Miami he really played well even through the so called fluke against Moya :rolleyes: He surely deserved the win :worship: For the Mental Fitness qualities against Moya :worship:

But I found he was playing Spectacular and good tennis in Indian Wells before 2nd & 3rd sets against Henman :mad:...........I felt he blew away the match...he was volleying well.....returning well..bassically playing great...and even when came the 2nd set Breaker i was confident that he was about to close Tim out but he blew it :banghead: and I was so bored that i went to bed and i wasn't surprised when i checked the results the next day :o

In Toronto he was playing awesome tennis.... i was really confident that he was gonna repeat the Montreal semi but Roger was too strong :sad: But I am sure that If Andy had won that One he would have repeated Our beloved Summer OF 2003! :yeah:

In Cincy he lost his concetration coz of some line calls :mad: but I am was happy coz of his A game against Andre even though he lost :D For he lost to a great man :yeah: He also won against Haas :bounce:

As he said it himself..this year he wasn't playing as great as last year but he wons lots of matches ( 70+ :bounce: )......He was playing well on different bits of the year* but all the same Great Job! :bowdown:

* See above.

Fumus
12-30-2004, 07:41 PM
colorful...although it's hard to read that part in green...

Black Adam
12-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Sorry...its wil be better in purple then :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-30-2004, 08:00 PM
I think Miami was important not because he necessarily played his "best" tennis, but because he got through a few tough matches in a row. I would say that Miami was his MENTALLY best tournament of the year.

Fumus
12-30-2004, 08:04 PM
I think Miami was important not because he necessarily played his "best" tennis, but because he got through a few tough matches in a row. I would say that Miami was his MENTALLY best tournament of the year.

Well it was the biggest tourny he won all year..lol.. :)

Deboogle!.
12-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Yes, but he won it from being mentally tough, not from playing his best tennis. the Bjorkman match was really tough mentally, and we don't need to rehash the Moya match. Then he faced Spadea, who had just beaten him, and he was about the most focused during that 1-hour match as I've seen him all year. Then during the final, right before the tiebreak, Coria got his stones and it totally threw Andy off and he played a stinker of a tie-break, then he came back roaring and Guille was still playing good tennis at that point and Andy just pulled out all the stops and said "I'm going to win this damnit"

That's all I'm trying to say - I don't think that Miami was Andy's best tennis technically, but he was his best mentally and that's why he won.

Fumus
12-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Yes, but he won it from being mentally tough, not from playing his best tennis. the Bjorkman match was really tough mentally, and we don't need to rehash the Moya match. Then he faced Spadea, who had just beaten him, and he was about the most focused during that 1-hour match as I've seen him all year. Then during the final, right before the tiebreak, Coria got his stones and it totally threw Andy off and he played a stinker of a tie-break, then he came back roaring and Guille was still playing good tennis at that point and Andy just pulled out all the stops and said "I'm going to win this damnit"

That's all I'm trying to say - I don't think that Miami was Andy's best tennis technically, but he was his best mentally and that's why he won.

Yea well I think Queens was his best tourny all year because had to play his best stuff to win there. He beat Ancic after he lost the second set. He beat Hewitt who he had never beaten before. He pulled out the good stuff for those matches! Mentally, Physically, it all came together for Queens.

zoltan83
12-30-2004, 08:15 PM
and what about the French Open? :devil:

Deboogle!.
12-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Yea well I think Queens was his best tourny all year because had to play his best stuff to win there. He beat Ancic after he lost the second set. He beat Hewitt who he had never beaten before. He pulled out the good stuff for those matches! Mentally, Physically, it all came together for Queens.

Well I can only comment on tourneys I saw, and I didn't see this one... so, :mad: I can't comment.

LOL Nicolas. We shall not talk about RG, ok?

Breakaway
12-30-2004, 08:33 PM
I think he played his best during the grass court season, it's suits his game. But unfortunatley (at least for Andy and his fans) Federer is good during that season too.

zoltan83
12-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Well I can only comment on tourneys I saw, and I didn't see this one... so, :mad: I can't comment.

LOL Nicolas. We shall not talk about RG, ok?

Ok...

I didn't see a lot of andy's matches :sad: (but I saw his match at RG :p )
But it seems that his best period was on grass or when he played on USA.

Golfnduck
12-30-2004, 09:11 PM
I think he played well at AO, the grass court season was amazing. He also played well in Miami and Davis Cup. I would like to see him be a little more dominant on the hard courts and win more matches on clay. Andy definately owns the grass courts.

Havok
12-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Semi-owns that is.;)

heya
12-31-2004, 02:20 AM
The main problems are with agility and quickness, something he can control with
hard work on fitness/footwork. That's DURING PRACTICE MATCHES with a quick practice partner.
He should realize that he has NO TIME LEFT to PROCRASTINATE.
That means, NO MORE :baby: cry-baby behaviour
& off-court distractions.
I know, it hurts Andy to leave his lovers ( :hearts: Pat Mc, Fish, Bryan Brothers), but a guy needs to take his tennis seriously... :sobbing:
Does he want to emulate the strengths of Sampras + Borg (who respects Andy)???
Right now, who else but his fans and family love him? (non-opportunists) :scratch:

IF HE WANTS TO BE #1, he has to have both 1-handed + 2-handed bhs, IMO.

If Hewitt loses matches with a 2-handed bh & his great fitness
CAN'T prevent his EXHAUSTION, do you think Andy should AVOID using 1-handed bhs too???

J. Corwin
12-31-2004, 10:19 AM
I think he played some of his best tennis (that I saw) during the first few rounds of USO. :cool: 6-0 and 6-1 first sets. :eek: But then crapola came back a lil later in the event...

He played awesome during AO too.

heya
12-31-2004, 01:06 PM
gotennis
Unregistered1:

Andy can PLAN FOR THE LONG RUN & PUT A ROUNDED GAME TOGETHER.
MANY PLAYERS EVERY YEAR ARE BIGGER SERVERS, HITTERS , GROUNDSTROKERS.
Most important of all is THE ABILITY TO MOVE & TO USE THE COURT FULLY
(TO TURN, TWIST, RUN, STOP, SKID, SLIDE, JUMP, KEEP BALANCE, KEEP WRISTS STRONG AND FLEXIBLE, ARMS, BACK, ETC.)

Federer's FITNESS REGIMEN:
POLES AND BIG BALLS THROWN EVERY WHICH WAY, "SPEED" REFLEX PRACTICES, EYE, HAND COORDINATION EXCERCISES

DRILLS -- 1000s OF THEM IN THE LIFETIME -- LOOK NATURAL, BUT IN REALITY, PLAYERS DO SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY.

STEFAN EDBERG SAID :

"I DIDN'T REALLY HAVE THE BIGGEST WEAPONS BUT I WAS SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE OF MY MOVEMENT. "

Fumus
12-31-2004, 05:46 PM
I try to read and understand Heya's posts I really do..but somewhere I start to think logically and that just messes everything up. I think if I smoke cheeba and read her posts it might make sense.

heya
01-01-2005, 12:09 AM
That was a post from a member of Gotennis message board. That wasn't my post.