Earthquake/Tsunami [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Earthquake/Tsunami

khyber
12-26-2004, 02:44 PM
So I got up this morning to hear about the huge earthquake in Sumatra and the subsequent tidal waves that have swept through the area. I know that the coastline around Chennai got hit and that many people are dead.

I would guess that many of the players are going to be arriving into a chaotic situation with rescue & recovery people coming into the area to help with survivors and dealing with the dead bodies and public health issues.

I wonder if they would just cancel the tournament under the circumstances?

Sabse
12-26-2004, 03:47 PM
I heard that the earhquake was in Chennai, too. :hysteric: In my opinion the tournament won't take place there next week. But I don't know, I didn't read about it. Has anybody read about this??????

Lalitha
12-26-2004, 04:59 PM
There is no news about the tournament being cancelled. The tennis stadium is situated in the heart of the city, but I am afraid about the working of Airlines.

Many people have died :sad: My heart goes out to all of them!

ae wowww
12-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Omg I hope deaths are kept to an absolute minimum - my thoughts go out to all affected and their families.

Carlita
12-26-2004, 10:19 PM
it's all so sad! Poor people! So many lives wasted!! :sad:

I would cancel the tournament.....or be afraid to go there! :sad:

Zara
12-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Its been a major tragedy for us in Chennai but i assure everyone that the stadium is nowhere near the beach.There has been a huge loss of life and a lot of the sea front properties have been destroyed.We in Chennai are coping with the situation as best as we can.There has been a crack in the airport runway which had stopped all air traffic but i assure you that it has been fixed.The earthquake has been very scary for me and i just want life to go back to normal.

gvhvhg
12-27-2004, 05:39 PM
i doubt it would be cancel...there is no need to be afraid to go there...

Tricky_Forehand
12-27-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm sure you do, Zara :hug:

Take care of yourself. Maybe with this tourney carrying on it will give residents of this city at least brief moments of normalcy and brief moments to have fun again.

Fee
12-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Zara, thank you for that info and I am very relieved to hear that you are okay. Please try to keep us informed on yourself and the tournament, as best you can. (and if you can still keep an eye on Justin and JanMike for me as busy as you are, I would appreciate it :) )

Fedex
12-27-2004, 10:44 PM
I would cancel the tournament.....or be afraid to go there! :sad:
I wouldent be afraid to go there, just in fear of another earthquake. I lived in California for years, which is known as 'Earthquake City', and never did I walk around in fear that there may be another earthquake like the 89 one, or even much worse, the 1906 one.
But it should be interesting to see if they close it, but depending on the damage there, I dont think they will cancel next year's tournement.

Carlita
12-28-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm sure you do, Zara :hug:

Take care of yourself. Maybe with this tourney carrying on it will give residents of this city at least brief moments of normalcy and brief moments to have fun again.

You could be right!

Zara, glad to hear you are okay and thank you for the info. I just cry when I see the sadness on tv...it must be so much worse to actually be there.... be strong! :hug:

~EMiLiTA~
12-28-2004, 09:32 AM
In the thread on the general messages, it said the tournament will go ahead as normal

~EMiLiTA~
12-28-2004, 10:44 AM
I hope the players donate their winnings to victims and aid instead of keeping it...as if they need the money :rolleyes:

ozfan44
12-28-2004, 12:13 PM
yer that would be great and yes atp has confirmed that the event will go ahead!

Fee
12-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Some of the players do need the money, especially the Doubles players.

Tricky_Forehand
12-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Exactly Fee!! That assumption that all professional Tennis players are rich or well-off is one of my biggest pet peeves. :mad:

jayakris
12-29-2004, 07:01 PM
The tournament will go on as planned. They will hold some celebrity auctions etc to raise funds for the disaster victims, etc. The place where the event is held is not near the beach (in fact a few kilometers away), and most of the hotels are not affected I believe.

No new withdrawals since the news of the tragedy, so I assume the players have ebeen assured that the hotels, airport, and the arena are all unaffected.

The withdrawals from earlier are - Elseneer, Morrison, Mutis, Popp. Patience, Zib, Vanek and Garcia-Lopez into the main draw.

Jay

MajorcanBoy89
12-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Only in Chennai deads 4,500 people... POOR FAMILIES... :crying2: :tears:

~EMiLiTA~
12-30-2004, 09:49 AM
you don't have to tell me that not all players are well-off...I know several players like that myself, however they are far better off than a lot of other people at the moment and donating some of their earnings from this tournament would not hurt them unduly...sport is already so badly corrupted by money

Aleksa's Laydee
12-30-2004, 03:20 PM
The tournament will go on as planned. They will hold some celebrity auctions etc to raise funds for the disaster victims, etc. The place where the event is held is not near the beach (in fact a few kilometers away), and most of the hotels are not affected I believe.

No new withdrawals since the news of the tragedy, so I assume the players have ebeen assured that the hotels, airport, and the arena are all unaffected.

The withdrawals from earlier are - Elseneer, Morrison, Mutis, Popp. Patience, Zib, Vanek and Garcia-Lopez into the main draw.

Jay

they can only withdraw if they have a medical problem now, so unless anyone gets injured they should all be there

elletrista
12-30-2004, 06:34 PM
This note is of www.atptour.com.- 30-12-04.-

==================================================

ATP Supports Relief Effort

The ATP has joined with tournament organizers of the Chennai Open to support relief efforts benefiting victims of the tsunami which has devastated Southern Asia. The ATP will take the $25,000 sanction fee for the tournament and direct it in full to the UNICEF emergency relief effort in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu, of which Chennai is the capital.

The tournament will conduct a charity auction on Sunday, January 2, one day before the tournament begins, with proceeds to benefit the UNICEF relief effort. Items to be auctioned include a shirt signed by defending Chennai Open champion Carlos Moya.

ATP CEO Mark Miles said: “On behalf of the ATP family, I wish to extend my deepest sympathies to the victims of this tragedy. Through our tournaments and players, we have a deep connection with Asia. We hope that our activities and support via the UNICEF relief effort provide some help during this trying time. The timing of the tournament is an opportunity for the tennis community to directly support the relief effort.”

Zara
12-31-2004, 10:42 AM
Thank you everyone for your support....life in Chennai has been miserable for me the past few days because i had gone to help with the relief work and i cam away crying and wishing that god would help these poor people and i do believe that in this case mostly the poor got affected...the rich always come away with less loss...so i tried to do the best i could.A lot of clothes and money has been coming in and we are eternally grateful...thank you once again.i just want life to go back to normal.

WIMBY
01-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Zara

We are donating money to the relief effort and our thoughts are with you. To read postings from someone so close to this disaster is very humbling. Do keep us informed it is amazing how many people log onto this site.

Zara
01-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks for all your donations.I assure you that they are being used very well and for a good cause.