Backhand Slice [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Backhand Slice

alfajeffster
12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I've contributed several posts in this regard on the WTAWorld board, and just last night went through my video collection to check out the greats from the past who had a really good backhand slice, and it got me to thinking about the men's game. Which players in your opinion had the best backhand slice?

Fedex
12-24-2004, 08:46 PM
A general statement is that players with one handed backhands have better slice backhands, and for the most part, that is true.
Of the men's I would say Henman and Federer have the best backhand slices. Rafter had a terrific bachand slice in his day as well.

Ultraman
12-25-2004, 02:36 AM
Ken Rosewall comes to mind.

Stefi Graf had a rather wicked one.

Fedex
12-25-2004, 04:59 AM
Ken Rosewall comes to mind.

Stefi Graf had a rather wicked one.
Yes, Rosewall's trademark shot was his one handed topspin backhand, and he could slice it very well, as well.
Yeah, Graf had a very effective and underrated backhand slice. Graf's forehand was so good and dominating, that it overshadowed the great backhand that she had in addition to the awesome forehand.

alfajeffster
12-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Ken Rosewall, like Margaret Court, was a natural left-hander taught to play tennis right-handed. Neither he nor Court came over the ball with topspin on the backhand- they were all slices, chips, or sliced drives. Rod Laver had a good topspin backhand, as did Lew Hoad before him, however, most people point to Don Budge as the first player to really have an explosive topspin backhand. The slices are what we never hear too much about, and from studying tennis players from the past, it's obvious that the slice was around long before the topspin or flat drives ever became popular.

Lalitha
12-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah, Graf had a very effective and underrated backhand slice. Graf's forehand was so good and dominating, that it overshadowed the great backhand that she had in addition to the awesome forehand.

So true. Her backhand might not have recd the attention it as her forehand, but it was as effective and cunning.

Fedex
12-29-2004, 05:45 AM
So true. Her backhand might not have recd the attention it as her forehand, but it was as effective and cunning.
Yes, and I kind of worried the same thing might happen to Federer. His forehand is so good, like Graf, and I thought his backhand might not get the recognition that it deserves.
I was wrong, however. People do know Federer by his classic one handed backhand, and I think that even if thats not necessarily you're best shot, like with Federer, it gets recognized more because the one handed backhand is such a rarity these days. (And it wasn't in Graf's day, hence her backhand wasn't noticed as much.

joeb_uk
01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Henman and federer currently i feel have the best, gaudio does have a great one handed backhand (but i dont think he actually has a great slice)

motasek
01-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Most of the net-rushers, due to their game style, have a good slice. But when I think of the best slice backhand I think of a shot that is played regulary from the baseline, not just as an approach shot. And here are some of my picks: Rafter - obviously a net rusher, but because of a weak backhand drive made backhand slice his primary shot - it was realllly deep and low, Santoro - just to mention all the times he made Safin crazy with all those multi-angled and multi-spinned slices (often of both sides), Steffi Graf - the same case as Rafter's, Kraicek (again - no real b-drive for a long time of his career), Edberg - all kinds of backhands perfected, today Federer - his shot is always wickedly landing in halfcourt making baseliners rush hoplessly to the net to get shot down and attackers having a dead ball to do nothing with - I would call his slice the most clever. Most of all, I like watching Santoro's slice, although I don't enjoy his gamestyle too much.

Warriorroger
04-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah Roger has a veery good slice backhand, but not as good as Steffi's.I don't understand so very few people notice the similarities between Roger and Steffi. IMO Roger Federer is the male version of Steffi Graf, an improved male version. They almost have the same movements. I loved steffi's backhand, especially during her indoor matches. :worship:

Marko
04-07-2005, 06:40 PM
i think quite like u ... hmm right :D
i never thinked about it ... ;)
thx :)