Patrick Rafter [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Patrick Rafter

Glenn
07-17-2002, 10:04 AM
For fans of Patrick, who really want him to come back!

syd17
07-17-2002, 10:15 AM
Yeh-he so could have won wimbledon this year!

I can't believe that he only won the USOpen-although twice is quite an accomplishment in itself!

:)

Raven
07-17-2002, 10:16 AM
hehe, Id love to see him back. But right now he is pretty content in his home life, however he hasnt ruled out a return to competitive tennis....maybe Hewitt winning WImbledon, got the fires burning again?

Anyway, he is turning 30 next month so he's not getting any younger...but most say that he will make a final decision by years end. He should only come back if he is fit and ready...there is nothing worse than seeing a former champion being a shadow of his former self...(a few spring to mind...)

harry_potter
07-17-2002, 10:17 AM
i wish rafter would play again... i much rather he win wimbledon than lleyton.

syd17
07-17-2002, 10:18 AM
ROTFLMAO Iva-u weren't referring to an American were you? :)

Springy
07-17-2002, 10:20 AM
yes we need him!

Raven
07-17-2002, 10:21 AM
lol syd...:p

samantha
07-17-2002, 10:36 AM
I don't think he's gonna come back. :(

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 10:51 AM
:bounce: For Pat!! I love him :D but his priorites have changed with the baby and everything which I guess is understandable.

syd17
07-17-2002, 10:52 AM
has the baby even been born yet?

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 10:56 AM
No, but i think Lara is 8months so soon :bounce:

Nimi
07-17-2002, 10:57 AM
come back Patrick :sad:

syd17
07-17-2002, 10:59 AM
yeh-although i like hewitt heaps, i reckon it would be better is rafter and philippoussis came back into the tour-things could get heaps interesting.

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 10:59 AM
Hey nimi! Nice to see you here! Hey everyone I don't know as well...which is probably everyone ;) I hope to get to know you all better here :)

Nimi
07-17-2002, 11:01 AM
hey Cilla, we know eachother well??!? wow! :p

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 11:05 AM
Well I don't think we've had a proper convo but I know that you are a respected member of WTA World! ;) :p

Nimi
07-17-2002, 11:08 AM
respected member!!! :bounce:

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 11:10 AM

Nimi
07-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Dont worry, we will get to talk in this forum!! ;)

Doris Loeffel
07-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Pat please come back!!
You are missed!!

syd17
07-17-2002, 12:38 PM
hey lleyton's chick, i hope i get to know you pretty well also! :)

i guess that ur a fan of clijsters then?????? :)

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by syd17
hey lleyton's chick, i hope i get to know you pretty well also! :)

i guess that ur a fan of clijsters then?????? :)

Hey syd/Conchita(lol!!) Yeah of course I am a fan of Clijsters-lol!!

syd17
07-17-2002, 01:51 PM
I hope she plays really well at the USOPEN-how good would it be if she had to play conchita in the final! :)

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by syd17
I hope she plays really well at the USOPEN-how good would it be if she had to play conchita in the final! :)

*cough*Erm I don't think Conchita will make it past the 1st Round ;) :p

Nimi
07-17-2002, 02:11 PM
lol

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 02:12 PM
*mwahahahahaa.....*:p

Murkofan
07-17-2002, 02:39 PM
:wavey: Helloooo...

Kim and Lleyton rule! :bounce:

Pat, however...you know, we really need a gagging smilie or something. :o :p

syd17
07-17-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Lleyton's_Chick

*cough*Erm I don't think Conchita will make it past the 1st Round ;) :p

Well she'll just prove you all wrong won't she!

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Marly
Pat, however...you know, we really need a gagging smilie or something. :o :p

You should be used to receiving this smilie by now Marly...:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Murkofan
07-17-2002, 02:51 PM
Pfff, Cilla, here's some advice from the doctor: chill out. Don't sweat the small stuff, sweetheart. ;)

syd17
07-17-2002, 02:53 PM
lol

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 02:55 PM
You're not a real doctor mate! ;) Oooh the secret is out ;)

Murkofan
07-17-2002, 02:55 PM
See, syd knew I was kidding. :)

I promise not to talk too much smack about Pat when I come to visit y'all. :p

Murkofan
07-17-2002, 02:57 PM
I may not be a real doctor, Cilla, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than you'll ever be! :p

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 02:58 PM
I may not be a real doctor, Cilla, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than you'll ever be! :p

The hair comes out and the gloves come off :p ;)

tennischick
07-17-2002, 03:00 PM
now here's an Aussie i can root for!!! :) ;)

Murkofan
07-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Really? The goves? I wasn't aware I was wearing any goves! :p

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Really? The goves? I wasn't aware I was wearing any goves! :p

I'm comfortable with my poor spelling prowess:p

Murkofan
07-17-2002, 03:14 PM
And that's exactly why you'll never become a doctor. :o ;) :p

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 03:17 PM
:o :rolleyes: :p (Wow in this sequence of smilies i'm doing a Barrie :rolleyes: :o :))

Static
07-17-2002, 09:57 PM
lol the Lleyki's are so dominant on this board :p just like their players ;) :)

I miss Pat :( What was everyone's favourite Pat moment?

Mine was probably Us open 1998 when he beat Pete in the semis, and than went on to win it :D (even though he beat Mark)

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 10:14 PM
When one of my later memories of pat was when he beat Grosjean in Davis Cup (vs France 2001) :) He went psycho when he won.....so unlike Pat-lol! :p

Berlin_Calling
07-17-2002, 10:17 PM
I was watching his semi match during Aus Open 2001 vs Agassi and he played great!! He still has potential and if he comes back ( hope he does ) Im sure he will win a grand slam.

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Oh I remembered one! The classic 2001 semi against agassi @ Wimby where Pat won 8-6 in the 5th! :bounce: God I nearly passed out from the stress :eek: ;)

anabel
07-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Patrick :kiss:

Daniel
07-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Patrick :drool: :drool: :drool:

Zvonareva
07-17-2002, 11:33 PM
I miss Patrick :sad:

Daniel
07-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Hi Jordan :wavey:

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 11:35 PM
:wavey: Jordan! We all do here :sad: Btw how is your finger after your operation?

Vanity
07-17-2002, 11:43 PM
I miss Patrick too, he had such a beautiful game to watch! :sad:

Oh well, I hope he is happy in his life, with becoming a dad and what not! :)

Zvonareva
07-17-2002, 11:48 PM
patrick was my favorite :sad:

hi lleytons_chick :wavey: its doing fine,thanks,its already healed on the outside ( :eek: ) who r u on wtaworld? :o

Hi Daniel :wavey:

Daniel
07-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Jordannnnnnn

Vanityyyyyyy

:wavey: :wavey:

Vanity
07-17-2002, 11:53 PM
Daniel! :wavey: :kiss:

Daniel
07-17-2002, 11:53 PM
:lick: :lick: Vanity :lick: :lick:

Vanity
07-17-2002, 11:55 PM
I love Daniel! :hearts: :lick:

Daniel
07-17-2002, 11:58 PM
I love Vanity :lick: :lick:

:kiss:

Goonergal
07-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Zvonareva
patrick was my favorite :sad:

hi lleytons_chick :wavey: its doing fine,thanks,its already healed on the outside ( :eek: ) who r u on wtaworld? :o

Hi Daniel :wavey:

Haven't you read my sig Jordan!! Itz Cilla!!!! :D

Daniel
07-18-2002, 12:05 AM
Cilllaaaaaaa :drool::kiss:

Goonergal
07-18-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Daniel
Cilllaaaaaaa :drool::kiss:

Hey baby hey baby hey!!!! :kiss::kiss:

Zvonareva
07-18-2002, 12:09 AM
oopsies,hehehe,Hi Cilla!!! :kiss:

:wavey: Daniel,Vanity

Daniel
07-18-2002, 12:16 AM
Cilla, Jordan and Vanity :wavey:

:lick:

Mrs. B
07-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Hope Rafter comes back at some point, he still has the game to beat anyone at any given day, love his serve & volley style, very rare these days, not to mention that in my book he's the most attractive dude on court (sigh!)--- makes all the girls drool...;) and me bounce like an idiot!!!:bounce:bounce:

Umpire
07-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Please come back Pat! You're the best!:bounce:

Daniel
07-18-2002, 05:36 PM
He is such a wonderful player and so cute :o

Berlin_Calling
07-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Go Pat!!

Scott Storm
07-19-2002, 05:59 PM
I would love for him to make a comeback, he would surely ride a wave of emotion to any title he wanted.

Wojtek
11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
I miss him :sad:

George_Hanson
11-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Pat was one of my all-time favs

RogiFan88
11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Pat won't come back but I'd sure love to see him and Rogi play an exo on grass, preferable at Wimby! ;) [and Tony can coach both of them at the same time!!]

Doris Loeffel
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
That'll be awsome RogiFan!!

victoria_maraude
11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
He is such a wonderful player and so cute :o

I agree. Please come back Pat!!!

Eden
01-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Hall of Fame gong for Pat Rafter
January 25, 2008

DUAL Grand Slam winner and former Australian of the Year Pat Rafter will be inducted into the Australian Tennis Hall of Fame.

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5857128,00.jpg

Rafter, 35, will join the exclusive club in a ceremony on Australia Day in the latest honour bestowed on the former fan favourite since he retired in 2002.
The 1997-98 US Open champion said he was delighted.
"The Australian Hall of Fame was sort of inevitable after a while. So to have another recognition is really nice," he said.
"It's really nice to have recognition here in Australia."
The former world No. 1 was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2006, saying afterwards he was surprised the awards kept coming.
"This is the highest. I don't think there's anything left now. This is it for me," Rafter said at the time. But yesterday he said he was happy to get it wrong.
"I thought I was finished," he said, smiling.
"Obviously the International Hall of Fame is probably as high as it gets and the Australian one is as high as it gets here in Australia.
"I won the US Open and I would have loved to have won one back at home."
The ultimate good sport, Rafter donated half his prize money from his two US Open victories to the Starlight Children's Foundation.
Known for his serve and volley style of play, Rafter was also a Wimbledon finalist in 2000 and 2001.
He said yesterday Australian tennis, particularly the men's game, was a "little bit light on".
"I just think our greatest years were 1996 when we had no one in the top 10 but we had 13 or 14 in the top 100," he said.
"That's just a great platform to work on."
He said professional tennis had changed dramatically since he retired, with the game full of more athletic players.
Rafter played down the fact he beat current Swiss world No. 1 Roger Federer while he was still playing.
"Roger was still in his nappies when I was playing him. It was great," Rafter said.
"He wants me to come back so he can beat me."
But Rafter joked his "comeback" would be confined to a mere "hit and a giggle".
Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23103886-2862,00.html

Eden
01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
There is also a very interesting interview with Patrick on the AO homepage:

Pat Rafter 24.01.08
Thursday, 24 January, 2008

Start of Transcribed Interview

THE MODERATOR: Good afternoon, everyone.
A man who needs no introduction, but will be inducted into the Australian Tennis Hall of Fame Saturday.

Q. Another year, another induction. A couple years ago you were International Tennis Hall of Famer. I think at the time, This is it. I'm done. That's all for me.

PATRICK RAFTER: I thought I was going to finish (smiling).
I think the Australian Hall of Fame was sort of inevitable after a while. So, it was, yeah, another nice one to have. Another recognition, so that's really nice.

Q. Just to you personally, how do they play off against each other? Do you do that?

PATRICK RAFTER: I think it's hard not to. Obviously the International Hall of Fame is probably as high as it gets, and the Australian one is as high as it gets here in Australia, sort of like when you look at Grand Slams, which one do you want to win? And we were brought up as winning Wimbledon was our thing.
I won the US Open, and I would have to have loved one back at home, also. It would have been great to have won one on your home soil. So it's a really nice recognition here in Australia.

Q. And the fact that's it's on Australia Day and you being a former Australian of the year, does that add to it?

PATRICK RAFTER: I don't know. It's such a yeah, a lot of times those sort of things don't cross over. I haven't actually given it a lot of significance and a lot of thought about it yet. That will be a good day.

Q. Do you watch much of these matches in the Australian Open?

PATRICK RAFTER: I watch the Australian Open, yeah, and I watch the US Open. The US Open comes on at a pretty good time in the morning for us, and the Australian Open, it's a Grand Slam and I love watching it. I like the Australian summer of tennis, all the tennis.
Other than that, I don't really follow it throughout the year. You read in the papers what's going on and that type of thing, but you don't actually really follow it. And here I get it follow it and I see the names again I haven't seen in so long. And so many new names I've got no idea. It's sort of interesting to see what sort of players and what's happening with the game and how it's changed. It's just changed so much since I retired.

Q. Have you ever seen someone like Tomic play?

PATRICK RAFTER: I saw Bernard play a year ago, and I have not since him play since, but hopefully this year I'll get to hit with him a couple of times. It should be good.

Q. What are your thoughts?

PATRICK RAFTER: Well, semifinals.

Q. What are your thoughts on him?

PATRICK RAFTER: Yeah, he's got a lot of potential. He had a few things he had to sort of work on to get stronger and bigger, but he's still pretty young.
But now he's coming to the time where he starts to get some really good grounding, and one of those things was his serve. But he had potential there to push up and get a bit stronger with it. I thought he had a really great backhand, just a world class backhand, and his forehand was potentially lethal.
I'm not going to talk about people's forehands, because mine was probably the worst in the game. There are a few things he could tidy up on. That's a really encouraging sign.

Q. Did you think Tomic is the best young prospect on the horizon?

PATRICK RAFTER: In Australia? Well, he's obviously got a lot of good results. He's setting all sorts of records at the moment, and he has potential here to be I think the youngest to win. And being two matches away from that, obviously every match gets tougher and tougher.
There's another couple of young kids coming through also and this is only the men's too, but I've hit with a couple of other boys who I thought were really good also. It will be interesting to see what happens on the international stage with these kids, but I think the other kid up in Queensland definitely was, Kubler, who's a good player, as well.

Q. Right at the moment generally how do you feel about Australian tennis?

PATRICK RAFTER: Well, obviously in the men's game it's still a little bit light on. I just think our greatest years were '96 we had no one in the top 10, but I think we had 13 or 14 in the top 100. That's just a platform, and it's a great platform to work from. You see the French having so many players and the Americans also doing well again.
You'd like to get back to those days as well where got so many guys to sort of keep pushing each other. I think it'll sort of go through its cycle. I think we always have our good and bad times.

Q. Is it realistic to think that that could happen again?

PATRICK RAFTER: Yeah, I think it can. There's no reason why it can't.

Q. Lleyton is pushing for the introduction of clay courts for coaching in the juniors. What's your position on that?

PATRICK RAFTER: We've been talking about this for quite sometime. It's not a new topic. There are so many different levels the clay court. The German courts are different to the French courts, and different regions of those countries also play very differently.
We have, in Queensland, northern New South Wales we have the antbed court. Down here it was I've already turned my phone off it's en tout cas. So you do have an understanding of how it works, and a lot is about sliding and that type of thing. But it is a little bit different.

Q. But you don't think it's essential to improvement?

PATRICK RAFTER: Yeah, it probably is, but I don't know how they're going maintain it, how they're going to get all the clay out here, who's going to build them. It's something going to be a very, very expensive exercise. I hope they obviously can.

Q. It is more competition, we just need more tournaments for the young kids coming through? Is distance a real worry?

PATRICK RAFTER: When I was growing up I remember just playing lots of tournaments every weekend. Just always playing competitive tennis. But when you get into the older ages it is a lot harder. You don't have the when we played satellites when I was coming through from 15 through to 18, we had all the Americans and Europeans would always come out, the Germans and Americans, and it was just great.
I don't think you get that quite as much anymore, that depth of international travelers coming out to Australia to play. I don't think there was sort of as many tournaments I think around the world now. There's a lot of these futures and things going on, so people just stay in their home country and play and you don't get that exposure to them.
It's all part of it. You got to get out of the country and travel and play the Europeans an the Americans and get over there. That's and I always suggested. I can only say what I think. When I was 17 and I finished school I went over and played as many tournaments and played in France. Just played two tournaments every week for a few months. Played tournaments in Spain and didn't win a match.

Q. Was it tough in those conditions?

PATRICK RAFTER: No, it was exciting. Yeah, it's fun. Backpack and just staying in hostels and things. It's just what you did. It was great.

Q. What do you make of Lleyton this year?

PATRICK RAFTER: Lleyton did well. The lead up tournaments probably weren't as probably he's had a lot better lead up tournaments. There are some changes that I've seen taking place in his game. This is, again, just my personal view. But he was going for his backhand down the line, he was aggressive with his forehand, he was coming to the net.
He's starting to really take on what Rochey is telling him. It's not that the other guys haven't told him that before, it's just now come to the point where he's going, I have to do it to make that change and he's doing it, and I think it's really encouraging.

Q. Is it realistic to think he's going to be top 10 again?

PATRICK RAFTER: I think he'll be top 10. He's got to work hard too, and Rochey won't accept anything but hard work. I think he can be back in the top 10.

Q. Can he win another Grand Slam?

PATRICK RAFTER: I think Wimbledon is his one. I think that's his best chance. The game has changed so much since I played. And his technique, he's a very flat hitter of the ball and the spin now generated by the new strings is doesn't really suit his type of game as it would someone like Nadal.
So I think the French Open I mean Wimbledon is his chance, and I think he can.

Q. What else has changed about the game?

PATRICK RAFTER: I think everyone is great athletes now, too. There was a time when you would look and say, I reckon I can beat him athletically, but not now. You got to be a great athlete.

Q. Do you ever look back and breathe a sigh of relief that Roger isn't...

PATRICK RAFTER: Roger was still in his nappies when I was playing him. It was great. He wants me to come back so he can beat me.

Q. Have you watched Tsonga, and what do you think about his game?

PATRICK RAFTER: I saw him play against Gasquet, and I just loved the way he changed the pace of the ball up. He did a lot of slow sort of looping balls. I thought he could play from all court: Baseline, at the net, big serve, big athlete, big kid.
But no one these days you never see anyone change the pace of the game up. No one does the slice backhands or the loopy stuff anymore and he does that, and he does that. It's just really nice. Not so much the slice backhand, but he does the loopy stuff and just throws the guys junk every now and then. I think it's really good.

Q. How do you explain some underdogs come through more at the Australian Open than other Grand Slams? Like Clement, Tsonga?

PATRICK RAFTER: I think it's hard to prepare for this tournament. You don't come off any tournaments. You know, you get a couple tournaments, but it's not enough to get you sort of in the momentum of it.
I always played better when I led up to played a few tournaments before the French Open and obviously the French never was really that kind to me. But then worked all the way through to the U.S. summer, and that's when I started playing well. When I had lots and lots of matches and lots of training.
You generally come off Christmas here and probably a little bit fat. Had a bit more of a good time. Some people it works and some it doesn't.

Q. How do you rate Novak Djokovic's chances?

PATRICK RAFTER: Really good. I think he's a great player. I say he'll be a No. 1 player at some stage in his career. I've seen Federer play better, but these courts are probably not suiting him quite so much. I think they're probably a fraction slower than they have been. That's just by looking. I haven't played on it so I don't know.
I just don't know how well Roger is playing just yet. But he's such a great champion. You'd probably still put your money on Roger to win, but I think Djokovic has a really good chance.

Q. What do you like about his game the best?

PATRICK RAFTER: He's got a big serve, great returns, you know, that sort of thing. Just great from the ground, great athlete, like all of them are now. I don't see a lot of weaknesses in his game. I wouldn't like to play him.

Q. Is the gap closing between Roger and the others?

PATRICK RAFTER: I think everyone has got to come to a time when things start closing up. But I don't know. Yeah, maybe. I don't know. You know, I think Roger will probably start doing really well again around I think he's always oger plays very well on all surfaces, and that's the great thing about his game.
But to me his strength lies from Wimbledon all the way through to the US Open. In saying that, I'd love to see him in the French Open. He's been so close so many times.

Q. Nappies or not you've beaten him three times. What advice would you give someone trying to...

PATRICK RAFTER: Oh, his game's changed completely since I played him. It's a different game, different player.

Q. He's lost a few games lately. What do people have to do to beat him?

PATRICK RAFTER: Where did he lose?

Q. Twice to Nalbandian.

PATRICK RAFTER: Oh, okay. End of the year is always a hard one as well to be up for, as well. I don't know. I don't know. I couldn't give anyone advice on how to beat Roger.

Q. Did you still play at all? We saw Pete come back and play against Roger last year.

PATRICK RAFTER: There was a couple years there where I tried to play for a bit of fun in America. But since then I only hit a couple balls last year for a little bit. This year I hope to play with some young kids. We're going to get a couple of squads to come up to Queensland and I'm going to hit with them, so that should be really fun. I do really enjoy hitting for a week every now and then.

Q. Did you ever go through a spell like Pete did where you don't want to know about tennis?

PATRICK RAFTER: The first couple years, definitely. It was sort of uncomfortable. I didn't know whether to watch it or not watch it. When I watched it I sort of felt uncomfortable. I sort of wanted to be there, but that wore off pretty quick.

Q. Are we going to see you on the oldies tour?

PATRICK RAFTER: Yeah, I keep threatening. I don't know why. It sort of seems like fun at the time saying yes, but when I start hitting balls I go, What am I doing? It's hard work.
You want to sort of play okay, and the shoulder is still not really good. I might have a bit of a hit and a giggle.

Q. Do you have any involvement in Australian tennis beyond hitting with a squad like that, like Davis Cup captain? Does that appeal? Is there something down the track that you'd liked to do?

PATRICK RAFTER: No. That doesn't appeal. I don't want to travel. Every now and then traveling is fun, but not too much. Davis Cup, that sort of position, that's what it requires.

Q. Did you say you've seen young Kubler?

PATRICK RAFTER: Yeah, I was really impressed with his game. I thought he had his groundstrokes were great and he had a really good serve that I think he could build on. He's only 14 and he's really young, so a lot has to happen yet.

Q. You were a great serve and volleyer in your time. Do you think there's still room in tennis for that?

PATRICK RAFTER: Yeah, I do. I'd love so see that. I think it's just fun to see the contrast of someone coming to the net and doing it. But I watch a little bit now and I see the way they pass. I don't have if it's the string or what it is, but it just seems ridiculous on how they can pass you now at the net.
I don't know. I mean, was just someone that fed a lot of people junk, as well. I didn't mean to, but that's just how I played. A lot of people didn't like it. I think there's always room for that as well, to slice and dink 'em around and slow balls.
Felix Mantilla had the best comment when I played him once. He said, My grandmother hits the ball harder than him. I know. I try to hit the ball harder, but I can't. I think there's room for that type of game, as well. It's hard to generate pace off a ball that has nothing on it.
So yeah, I think that serve and volley has a place. Just frustrates people.

Source: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2008-01-24/200801241201151380271.html

madmanfool
01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
he's still missed

LeChuck
01-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the articles and then the interview.
Count me down as a pretty big Rafter fan.

Adler
01-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Look at the avatar of this thread's author. There were days where this player was wearing normal outfit

madmanfool
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Look at the avatar of this thread's author. There were days where this player was wearing normal outfit

yeah, and nobody was bashing him yet. Only compliments at that time. You should see the thread when he won his first title. these days however:eek:
also in those in those days not every thread turned into a Rafa or Roger conversation

Adler
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
yeah, and nobody was bashing him yet. Only compliments at that time. You should see the thread when he won his first title. these days however:eek:
also in those in those days not every thread turned into a Rafa or Roger conversation
because it was before their battles. And yes, I remember that thread when even RonE complimented Rafa and congratulated him on winning the title ;) (BTW: the Sopot event is going down, the main sponsor won't support it more)

Fee
01-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Good bump. Always nice to hear from Rafter again.

thrust
01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Loved Pat^s game and personality! I would love to see him play again but I doubt he could handle the main tour now. He probably could do well on grass. He and Pete would fun to watch in the pre Wimbledon warm ups and even Wimbledon too. Pat and Pete would make a good doubles team, especially on grass.

Eden
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Rafter To Play Austria Next Week

By Tennis Week

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

http://picsrv.fashionweekdaily.com/?fif=/tennisweek/img_696_172373_6674.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&hei=268&wid=189
© Getty Images

Former World No.1 Patrick Rafter will return to the singles scene.

The two-time U.S. Open champion will play competitive singles tennis for the first time in seven years after announcing that he will compete in the BlackRock Tour of Champions event in Graz, Austria, next week (July 29th - August 2nd).

The serve-and-volley stylist is the fifth former Grand Slam champion to join the BlackRock Tour of Champions this year. Pete Sampras, Stefan Edberg, Michael Chang and Yevgeny Kafelnikov will all play events on the circuit of former World No.1ís, Grand Slam title winners and Davis Cup champions in 2008. Sampras won the title in Sao Paulo, Brazil last month and will appear at the Royal Albert Hall in London in December. Edberg will also play in London, but first in Paris, September 18-21. Chang and Kafelnikov are signed up to compete at the AFAS Classics in Eindhoven, October 2-5, alongside another newcomer, the 1996 Wimbledon finalist, Malivai Washington.

Rafter won the U.S. Open in 1997 and 1998, and reached Wimbledon finals in 2000 and 2001, losing dramatic matches against Sampras and Goran Ivanisevic respectively.

Ivanisevic has also signed up to compete in Graz, which means a repeat of their Wimbledon final is a possibility.

It has taken Rafter longer than most players to be tempted by the BlackRock Tour of Champions.

"It's probably the first time since retirement that I have actually felt this way," Rafter said. "This year I have decided to get fit again. I train about five days a week which is gym, running and some other interesting fitness techniques. I surf as much as I can as well. I understand quite a few of the players play the tournaments (on the BlackRock Tour of Champions) so while it would be great to win in Graz, I just want to play well."

In Graz, the Australian will face home favorite Thomas Muster, defending champion and former Wimbledon winner Michael Stich, former World No.1 Marcelo Rios and crowd pleaser Henri Leconte.

Last week in Istanbul, Ivanisevic won the Turkcell Legends Cup to move to No.1 in the South African Airways Champions Tour Rankings.

After Graz, the Tour will move on to Algarve, Portugal for the Vale do Lobo Grand Champions CGD (August 5-8).

Rafter himself was not an immense success as a junior, but went on to win successive Open titles and earn a place in the International Tennis Hall of Fame as a professional.

The third youngest of nine children, the Queensland, Australia native began playing tennis at the age of five with his father Jim and three older brothers. Though he was small for his age, Rafter was a relentless net rusher from the very start of his junior career. During the early stages of his teenage years, Rafter was routinely routed by other Australian juniors and contemplated quitting tennis for a while.

"For a couple of years when I was 14 to 16; those couple of years I could hardly win a match (after) being one of the best players in Australia as a 13-year-old," Rafter recalled. "Many times I thought of giving it away then. Everyone was too strong for me then. I was a late bloomer."

He turned pro in 1991, but wasnít exactly an instant winner. Rafter refined his game playing Challengers, lower-level ATP events and an abundance of doubles matches. He beat South African Wayne Ferreira to win his first career ATP singles title at Manchester in 1994. Injuries slowed Rafterís progress in 1995 and 1996, but he responded by reaching six finals and winning his first career Grand Slam at the U.S. Open in 1997.

Source: http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6614436

RagingLamb
07-23-2008, 04:44 PM
that's great news. :yeah:

lurker
07-24-2008, 03:08 AM
Woohoo! Now there's a reason to tune into Tennis Channel whenever there are no tournaments schedled. Multiple repeats of Pat Rafter matches. Though I don't really want to see them if he loses.

Matchu
07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
It will be interesting to see how Pat goes in his first singles match in a very long time. Its funny how Mark Philippoussis and Pat Rafter are playing on different senior circuits :haha:

Might have to start following the seniors seeing as Australia doesnt have any competitors in the main ATP events.

Timbo
07-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Rafter Returns In Style
Making his first ever appearance at a BlackRock Tour of Champions event, Pat Rafter raced to an impressive opening victory, beating Cedric Pioline 6-4, 6-2 earlier today in Graz, Austria.

Rafter, who retired from professional tennis in 2003, took little time to settle into the Austrian clay courts, breaking Pioline in the opening game of the match. From then on the Australian held serve with ease and comfortably took the opener 6-4. The second set was an equally comfortable affair for Rafter, who dominated Pioline with the sharp volleys and soft hands that won him the 1997 and 1998 US Open titles. After racing to a 5-1 lead Rafter had opportunities to win the match on Piolineís serve but the Frenchman showed his fighting instincts and held serve to force Rafter to serve out the match, which he did to love.

Overall, the returning Australian was happy with his performance.

ďIím a little bit surprised!" he said.

ďThe ball felt really good off my racket and I served and returned well. I moved okay and the ball went where I wanted it to go so it was really nice."

But he admitted that he did feel some ring-rust after so long away.

"When it gets into tight situations you can forget what the correct play is," he said.

"There can be two or three points turning a match and if you donít win those points sometimes you can lose those matches. I think that is probably the biggest thing. Iím staying fit back home doing a lot of fitness work. Iíve done a lot of running so my legs are ok. My heart is ok, Iím feeling strong. But I will see how much fun it is when I wake up tomorrow - I think Iím going to be sore!"

So, what were his first impressions of life on the BlackRock Tour of Champions?

"Itís interesting," he said.

"You want to put a good show on but people havenít come to watch you stuff around. I think you have to play hard, do your best, and every now and then have a fun point. But you leave the jokes up to people like (Henri) Leconte, who are very funny naturally. Playing (Thomas) Muster will be a fun match because we will both go really hard at each other and run for everything. A lot of the guys are good friends so seeing them is fun! Iím looking forward to catching up with Goran (Ivanisevic) when I see him.

Rafterís next opponent is BlackRock Tour of Champions stalwart Leconte.

Matchu
08-03-2008, 02:05 AM
http://www.blackrocktourofchampions.com/5/images/other/rafter_grazfinal.jpg

Rafter Wins Maiden BlackRock Tour of Champions Title
Pat Rafter capped a perfect BlackRock Tour of Champions debut by overcoming Michael Stich 6-3, 7-6(4) to win the title in Graz today.

In a match heavily influenced by dramatic weather conditions, including torrential rain and lightning storms, Rafter produced some impressive serve-and-volley tennis to win through in an hour and 35 minutes.

The first set was decided by a single break of serve for the Australian. The second set was less comfortable as Stich fought back to level at 4-4 after going down an early break. Despite facing a set point, Rafter produced some strong serves to force the set into a tie break just as the heavens opened. Despite the heavy rainfall and fading light, both players produced some dazzling serve-and-volley tennis at the start of the tie break. At 3-3, the Australian switched up a gear to take the final four points of the match and power his way to a first BlackRock Tour of Champions title.

ďIt was fun to play Michael again,Ē said Rafter. ďIn the second set it turned into a really exciting match and he got back into it, played well and had set points. It was a lot of fun and then the rain came but it was good to be able to finish it. Iím looking forward to a holiday now!Ē

Rafter also paid tribute to a successful tournament in Graz.

ďAll in all I thought this was a really good event,Ē he said. ďI had been told beforehand that it was a great show here and that the tournament director would look after us beautifully, and we really were.Ē

Tankman
08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
ooh thanks mate :yeah:

that would have been a good match to watch... I'm hoping it might have been televised/taped somehow

madmanfool
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
great stuff

Eden
08-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Wow, what an excellent debut for Pat - congrats :yeah:

I would love to see this match of two of my alltime favourite players. Hopefully it will be uploaded soon somewhere.

Rafter Answers Your Questions

Seven years since he retired from the ATP circuit, Pat Rafter is back on court playing competitive singles tennis at the BlackRock Tour of Champions event in Graz, Austria this week. He answered your questions

We put the best of your questions to Pat in between matches at the sTennis Masters in Graz.

What motivated you to come back and play tennis against some of the best in your era (on the BlackRock Tour of Champions)?
- Gerald

You always want to know if you still can play tennis well enough. That is why I decided to come back and have a game. There is a good group of guys playing [on the BlackRock Tour of Champions]. Iím very lucky to play with some good friends as well. So itís to find out if I can still compete with these guys and so far it has been ok!

Where did you watch the Wimbledon Men's Final and what did you think of it?
- Stuart Vallance

Iíve been in France for a couple of months and I watched all the lead up for it. But unfortunately I had to travel on the day of the final. When I got to my destination they had no TV showing it so unfortunately I didnít see it. But a friend of mine was texting me every f three or four games giving me an update on the match and the rain and so on. It would have been a great match to watch and itís a shame I didnít watch it.

Do you feel hard done by that Nadal has won Wimbledon on a hard, high bouncing court playing with a western forehand with no net play while you played the perfect grass court game and never won?
- Chris H, London, UK

No, I certainly donít feel hard done by. He (Nadal) is an amazing player. I just spoke to some of the players here [at the s Tennis Masters in Graz] and Goran said itís incredible how slow the grass is now. He spoke to Federer about it and told me thatís why Federer doesnít serve and volley, itís just too slow. I think Wimbledon needs to change its grass and make it quicker because to me, watching grass court tennis from the baseline is not how it should be played on grass. Itís fine for clay but not for grass. I think they should make it quicker.

Do you think that a traditional serve and volley player can be successful and win Grand Slams today, just as you did in the past?
- Eoin Young

Iíd like to say yes but because Iím not playing on the tour anymore itís probably hard for me to give an accurate appraisal on that. I think there is definitely room for serve and volleyers to play because you can mix it up. You donít see a lot of players coming to the net anymore so I think there is room for it. Itís has to be executed very well though because the rackets and the strings are very powerful, which makes it very hard to come to the net at the moment.

Would you change your U.S. titles for one Wimbledon or one Australian championship or a Davis Cup title for Australia?.
- Gerald Lopez

Oh, what a tough decisionÖ I guess itís an unrealistic question by the way since it will never happenÖIf someone, at the beginning of my career, would have said youíd win one of each or a couple at the same, Iíd probably take one of each.

Have you ever thought of becoming the captain of the Austalian Davis Cup team ?
- Julien Nťny, 16 years old, Angers, France.

Oh no, not now. It requires a lot of travelling and a lot of time dedicated to it. I have a young family and that is something I want to be around for so at this stage it wonít be for a while.

What was the best professional match you have ever played?- Roland

My semifinal match against Michael Chang at the US Open in 1997 was pretty flawless. I went into the match not knowing whether I would win or not but I won pretty comfortably. I think that was probably my best match for flawless tennis.

Who is the best serve and volley player on the ATP Tour in 2008 and which current player do you think is most like you?
- Guillaume Baraise

No one [on the current circuit] really plays like I do! But I can name three players here in Graz on the BlackRock Tour of Champions who are all playing a bit similar (Goran Ivanisevic, Michael Stich and Pat). It was a lot more common to play more serve and volley earlier, like Stefan Edberg or Pat Cash. Some players do serve and volley but they are not traditional serve and volleyers in my book. Guys like Ancic come in a little bit, he is that sort of player. He is a lot better in a lot of areas than I am but probably doesnít play the net game as well quite yet.

What is the best piece of advice you would give to a junior tennis player, hoping to become a professional?
(Michael Stich walks into the room saying: ĎSex, Drugs, & Rock Ďní Roll!í)
There we go, Michael Stich just came up with some crackers right thereÖ It might be ok for a whileÖ I know Michael Stich tried that and he won WimbledonÖ
Best advice? Well, I think you have to learn to be very patient and learn how to play on clay. I think itís a very good grounding for players. Over in Europe they have very good clay court tennis and that makes you very tough. Thatís the problem back in Australia, we donít have that. I also think itís important not to stay in junior tennis when you are 17 or 18, so get involved in menís tennis as quick as you can because itís a very different game.

What is more important in tennis Ė natural talent or mental toughness?
- Martin I. Jones, Edmonton, Canada

You need a certain amount of talent to get to a certain level. But natural talent is not going to make you win every match. You still have to be mentally tough. You definitely need both of them. If you have got no talent you are obviously not going to be up there, you need to know how to hit a ball over the net and know what you are doing. And that comes with hard work as well. Once you are on the tour you need to develop mental toughness and that is one thing that Roger Federer did. He was not very mentally tough at all for the first three years he was on tour but he learned to be tough and he became a very good player

Source: http://www.blackrocktourofchampions.com/5/news/2008/pat.asp

Tankman
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
great interview - thanks :yeah:

looks like old Pat has the same views on the Wimbledon court speeds as some of us here :lol:

and what he says about Australian tennis is very true... a shame Tennis Australia and idiot Tiley won't listen to him :o

groundstroke
08-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Good to see Pat playing again, one of the few players who was a really bad match up for Federer. Awesome game style, too. I still remember that match where he stopped Muster.

rolandg
08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
You can see video highlights of most of the matches played at the following link:

http://www.stennismasters.at/video-highlights.61.htm

Eden
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Rafter on handling the hype

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45941000/jpg/_45941080_rafter2_getty_466.jpg
Rafter was inducted into the Australian Tennis Hall of Fame last year

Pat Rafter reached two Wimbledon finals, finishing runner-up to Pete Sampras in 2000 and Goran Ivanisevic in 2001.

The Australian made the semi-final at his home Grand Slam in 2001 and the French Open in 1997 but enjoyed his finest moments at the US Open, where he won the title in 1997 and 1998.

Now 36, Rafter still plays "occasionally" and will join Goran Ivanisevic - his conqueror in the dramatic 2001 Wimbledon final - at the Masters Tennis at the Royal Albert Hall in December. He gives BBC Sport his thoughts on Wimbledon and more...

HANDLING THE PRESSURE OF PLAYING AT HOME

"I have had that a few times playing in the Australian Open and it is difficult - but then you probably have to times that by two or three to get the feeling you're going to get playing Wimbledon. Tim Henman also had to deal with that, of course.

"Some people thrive on it, other people struggle with it. It just depends on a little bit on the personality.

"Andy Murray seems to have a good head on his shoulders so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

"There's certainly a real good element to it, sometimes you'll be going out and you're like, 'I've got to face Andre Agassi on centre court at Flushing Meadows, night match, bloody hell I'm not looking forward to this.'

"And you get the same feeling when you're playing someone like Tim Henman at Wimbledon, which I did and got a good chopping there.

"So, yes, it can help, but then if things aren't quite going all your way it can be quite detrimental as well - it can really get you down. You feel the nerves and expectation and if you're not dealing with it very well it works against you."

THE BENEFITS OF PLAYING AWAY FROM HOME

"Yeah, I guess it helps. At the US Open the crowd just love a good tennis match and good personalities, they do get behind their players but not like at Wimbledon.

"I loved the US Open because I loved hard courts - predominantly my surface growing up as a kid.

"I moved a lot better on the hard courts than I did on clay or grass, and it was just one of those surfaces where the balls are light and the court is quick and that suits my game - and it suits Andy Murray's game better than Wimbledon as well.

"Saying that, I think he's very capable of winning Wimbledon."

IS WIMBLEDON UNIQUE?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45941000/jpg/_45941081_rafter3_getty_282.jpg
Rafter lost a thrilling five-set final to Ivanisevic at Wimbledon

"Bloody oath mate. I remember going back and guys like Alex Corretja talked down about it a little bit and they wanted to boycott Wimbledon and blah, blah, blah...

"It was because they didn't want to play on it, they couldn't play on it and they had a real psychological thing about it - in fact it would've been better if they had played in it - it would have made for easier matches! But to me that's just snubbing the greatest tournament.

"For me, it's where tennis originated - it's the home of tennis, it just doesn't get any better. It has an aura about it, it has an amazing feeling about it. It's just the greatest tournament you can play."

THE 2001 FINAL

"It was on a Monday - quite a unique situation for Wimbledon, looks like it'll never happen again with the Centre Court roof on now.

"It was free entry, which basically meant every Aussie in Earls Court tried to make their way in there along with a lot of Goran fans - about a 50-50 split - it was just one of those very unique atmospheres.

"That's what I remember about it most, really. Then I remember winning the toss and serving. I don't know why I did that because I could hardly get a serve in, I was so nervous.

"No-one stopped yelling for about three-and-a-half hours and each change of ends was just like a circus. It was unreal."

HOW HAS THE GAME CHANGED SINCE YOU RETIRED?

"The technology has definitely changed it - the spin the guys create on the ball is totally different now to how we got brought up playing the game.

"And everyone's a great athlete now. Before, when I played, there were a handful of great athletes and a lot of mediocre ones, but now everyone's 6'3" and they can all run and jump and do all sorts of great things out there. And that's one part of the game - there are bigger, stronger athletes."

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO WIN A GRAND SLAM?

"Belief. Federer and Nadal aren't short of that. Djokovic will want some sort of confirmation he can win more than one - and that's the nerve thing there for him.

"But then Andy's got to believe that he can get over the line also. It's one of those things that someone will be ready sooner or later - interesting to see when Andy's ready, but I'm sure somewhere in his career he'll win a couple of Slams."

HAVE WE SEEN THE END OF SERVE-VOLLEYERS?

"I think there is always room for a serve-volleyer and someone who changes it up and gives someone something different to look at. It'll be really interesting but I'd struggle a lot more, just purely because of the technology of the strings.

"But I still think I could give a few guys some grief out there! You never know. Wimbledon's slowed down a bit and that wouldn't help a serve-volleyer."

Pat Rafter was talking to BBC Sport's Sam Lyon.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8106697.stm

jonathancrane
06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Thank you Doris
Pat looks a bit "unfit" lately :lol:

Arkulari
06-23-2009, 11:06 PM
OMG Patrick :help:

http://www.noosafitness.com/files/PatrickRafter.jpg

to...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45941000/jpg/_45941080_rafter2_getty_466.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Snowwy
06-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I miss him.

Macbrother
06-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Yeah I saw a little bit of him playing Sampras in a final of the Champion's tour. He really has put on some pounds, unfortunately.

Otherwise, thanks for the post, Rafter's kamikaze style and high-flying ponytail are definitely missed.

Bernard Black
06-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Legend. Loved watching him as I was growing up and still some of his serve in my own action.

Bargearse
06-24-2009, 02:40 PM
I saw Pat awhile ago at a party & he was looking pretty rough.

Eden
03-08-2010, 09:01 PM
zmOuEwo5C6Y

1RKlmnKuF9s

8_08SaV3aTI

Arkulari
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
thanks for the vids Doris!!! :D

Pat is now looking like his usual hot self again and he's doing an excellent job in the Champions tour :yeah:

bad gambler
03-09-2010, 04:36 AM
He is a cool cat

Wojtek
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
so many old posters in the first pages