Ranking, draws, schedule [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ranking, draws, schedule

heya
12-18-2004, 04:34 AM

-On a scale of 1-10,
rate how much you think he does fight to win?

-On a scale of 1-10,
rate how well you think he prepares for matches?

-Was he wrong to not care if he could quickly slip down to #3/#4?

-Do you think that other players improved their rank much more easily because they repeatedly drew the same opponents in Slams (1000 points x 3)?

-What should he avoid in order to gain respect in tennis?
Besides the junk food...

-What does he need to perfect & change to win consistently again?
He can gain back ranking points that he dropped & aim for the top again.

-What tournaments & exhibitions should he cancel?

-(I don't want to be mean, but...)
Is he a Tennis Promoting Slut or does he recognize that he can make himself a great player, even if it takes 15 years?

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 04:40 AM
-On a scale of 1-10,
on average, I'd say 8-9, he is a good fighter. Just lately he has had trouble in some bigger matches, but he fought very well at DC even though he lost

-On a scale of 1-10,
I really do not know

DC was very important to him, we cannot judge that choice. But I don't think he wants to drop. Whether he is willing to do what it will take to make sure that doesn't happen, I dunno...

-Do you think that other players improved their rank much more easily because they repeatedly drew the same opponents in Slams (1000 points x 3)?
I'm not sure what you mean by this question :confused:

Besides the junk food...
Stop fighting with the umps so ridiculously

lots of things, mainly his return of serve and court positioning. But he also needs to keep working on his fitness/movement, backhand, net/transition game/volleys, and also his mentality and staying focused throughout a whole match

Houston, it's got to go. I think he already cut out Scottsdale, that was a one-time deal thank goodness (though it did benefit me quite nicely :angel: ). Hopefully he doesn't play Bangkok again too. I think playing just kooyong before the AO is a good decision. He's never gonna stop the charity exhibitions. He likes giving back and who are we to tell him to stop raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for kids who need it

Is he a Tennis Promoting Slut or does he recognize that he can make himself a great player, even if it takes 15 years?
I think both are possible. But I do think he knows he can only help promote tennis if he keeps winning. I don't think he's stupid. He knows the rest all will go away if he stops winning.

heya
12-18-2004, 05:20 AM

If a player repeatedly faces players
he can beat pretty comfortably, he has an advantage over another player who isn't as fortunate.
In a year's time at Slams, a lot can change, especially when there's a tight race in the top 10.

Physically/mentally tougher matches might make it more difficult to win Slams.
Like, Agassi played an injured Grosjean at Australian Open 2001-2.
Fed had no trouble with Hewitt all year.

Andy had to play tough, long matches with: Schalken, Dent, Popp
In AO on rebound ace, Safin was a lot more aggressive than Andy.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 05:57 AM
gotcha... well, hmm I'm not sure, I guess. Any player at the top has to win some tough matches and close matches to stay there. Andy won those matches for the most part in 2003 and lost them for the most part in 2004 and that was probably the single biggest difference. He seems to know this was a problem, as he's commented on it a few times. So I just hope that he tries to do something about it so that 1: he can get better so that he can maybe win some of the matches more easily and 2: that he can win the tough ones too.

heya
12-18-2004, 06:28 AM
2003 was different and a little easier because:
He was #10, so he faced fewer
top 20 hardcourt/grass players vs. Youzhny, El Aynaoui, Ljubicic, Nalbandian(he didn't fight hard enough. I mean, 3-5 hours long, uh!! :ignore: )
Henman was trouble in 1st set in USO.

2004. I want to scream at him because he didn't really care.
:shout: Scottsdale, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, Toronto, Thailand, AO, FO....USO!!!!!! :smash: He was a few points away from #1 at Wimbledon!!

missroddickfan
12-18-2004, 09:53 AM
-On a scale of 1-10,

8, but he's already shown that he's a fighter

-On a scale of 1-10,

I think it depends by the matches

I think he know very well this possibility

boh maybe

Besides the junk food...

to be more serious, but i think he's ok this way

he has to be more focused on the match. i dont think he has to improve the volley or other to do it. of course, improve them can be veeery good but its not the most important thing at the moment

some little atp tourns

he isnt a stupid, i think im right to think so. so i take the 2nd choice