-Campeão! Brasil Open! Campion Abierto Mexico!! 6-0, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

-Campeão! Brasil Open! Campion Abierto Mexico!! 6-0, 6-2

star
02-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Gonna keep trying my best each week. :banana:

http://p2.trrsf.com.br/image/fget/cf/619/464/images.terra.com/2013/02/17/17022013brasilopennadalxnalbandian0114.JPG

Here's the draw

SINGLES
(1) Rafael Nadal
BYE
Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo
(7) Q João Souza
Andrey Kuznetsov
(5) Carlos Berlocq
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
(8) Albert Ramos
(4) Jeremy Chardy
BYE
Ricardo Mello
(2) LL Martin Alund
Daniel Gimeno-Traver
Filippo Volandri
Q Guilherme Clezar
(5) Thomaz Bellucci
(7) Pablo Andujar
Santiago Giraldo
Paolo Lorenzi
Albert Montanes
Tommy Robredo
Simone Bolelli
BYE
(3) Juan Monaco
(6) Fabio Fognini
Guido Pella
David Nalbandian
Q Jorge Aguilar
Horacio Zeballos
(8) Q Paul Capdeville
BYE
(2) Nicolas Almagro

Doubles

(1) Daniele Bracciali
(1) Marcelo Melo

Thomaz Bellucci
Q João Souza
----------------
Simone Bolelli
Fabio Fognini

Dustin Brown
Christopher Kas
--------------------
(3) Frantisek Cemak
(3) Michal Mertinak

Lucas Arnold Ker
Juan Monaco
--------------------
(WC) Marcelo Demoliner
(WC) Pedro Zerbini

Daniel Gimeno-Traver
Albert Ramos
-----------------------------
Rafael Nadal
David Nalbandian

Pablo Andujar
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
--------------------
Oliver Marach
Horacio Zeballos

(4) Lukas Dlouhy
(4) André Sá
---------------------
Juan Sebastian Cabal
Santiago Giraldo

(WC) Q Guilherme Clezar
(WC) Gastão Elias
----------------------
Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo
Tommy Robredo

(2) Alexander Peya
(2) Bruno Soares

Rafa plays doubles after the Belucci match on now finishes

star
02-13-2013, 02:11 AM
Shaky doubles win: 6-3; 3-6; 11-9

shawshank
02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Any comments from Rafa about playing indoor now? I wonder if it makes a difference for him...
I think the draw is tougher than in VdM: Souza, Berlocq/Ramos, Chardy/Bellucci, Almagro/Nalbandian/Monaco. I hope he can win this time!
Vamos Rafa!

-Evita-
02-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Good luck to Rafa :rocker2:

born_on_clay
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
indoors could be tricky :scared:

Julián Santiago
02-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Belluci is not a nightmare. He is under heavy pressure when playing at home

star
02-13-2013, 06:43 PM
I was kind of laughing that Capdeville bageled Zeballos in the second set, but maybe Zeballos is injured. :awww:

Anyway, Rafa plays doubles tonight and it will be very late because the Chardy v. Alund match starts "not before 8" and Rafa plays after that.

Probably a lot depends on how Nalbandian is feeling after his match against Aguilar.

For what it is worth, Sao Paulo is GMT -2 because daylight savings time is in operation. 4:53 p.m. now at the editing of this post.

Julián Santiago
02-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I think Zeballos gets injured. He won only 7 points again Capdeville in a set and a half, and all were aces and service winners.

Nalbandian is playing now. He is 7-5, 4-3 up, he is rusty, but ok. He will play in good form in doubles tonight. But I don´t know is Zeballos is Ok to play

born_on_clay
02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
good luck in doubles tonight !

star
02-14-2013, 01:43 AM
By Andrew Downie
SAO PAULO | Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43pm EST
(Reuters) - Former world number one Rafa Nadal withdrew suddenly from the doubles at the Brazil Open on Wednesday because of what organizers said was a desire to preserve his strength for the singles competition.

The 26-year-old Spaniard, who returned to action at the Chile Open last week after a left knee condition had sidelined him for seven months, was down to play both singles and doubles in Sao Paulo.

However, he was already complaining of lingering pains before making his doubles debut alongside Argentine David Nalbandian in a 6-3 3-6 11-9 victory over Spaniards Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia Lopez on Tuesday night.

Just moments before he and Nalbandian were due to play Horacio Zeballos and Oliver Marach on Wednesday, the pair withdrew.

Nadal is still expected to play in the singles tournament and is scheduled to make his first appearance on Thursday night against Brazilian Joao Souza, the world number 140.

If all goes well, the seven-times French Open champion will head to another clay court tournament in Mexico as part of his preparations for the defense of his Roland Garros title in May.

Mimi
02-14-2013, 01:45 AM
if he still has pains, why to play double? :confused::mad:

star
02-14-2013, 01:48 AM
if he still has pains, why to play double? :confused::mad:

I guess that's why he withdrew.

It's concerning and puzzling.

Mimi
02-14-2013, 02:25 AM
oh god, worrying about him :banghead:

MariaV
02-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Did GM have a field day with that already? :rolleyes: I think I know the answer. To be honest I can't blame the hatas right now. It's stupid to play so many matches (even if doubles are not so bad) right after comeback, he should've taken this week off at least and assess how things are. I'm worried about the knees though.

born_on_clay
02-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Don't worry. Rafa is just a bit tired after so many matches in Vina. Sorry for Nalby though :hug:

shawshank
02-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Nalby was also very tired after his 1st round. Good choice Rafa. There was no point is staying at the site till 1 AM waiting for Chardy to lose. Waiting for tonight!
Vamos Rafa!

acionescu
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Did GM have a field day with that already? :rolleyes: I think I know the answer. To be honest I can't blame the hatas right now. It's stupid to play so many matches (even if doubles are not so bad) right after comeback, he should've taken this week off at least and assess how things are. I'm worried about the knees though.

Yup. Coz all the haters are preoccupied about is Rafa's well being :stupid:

That's one "objective thought" going too far :cuckoo:

born_on_clay
02-14-2013, 11:09 AM
can't wait for tonight :drool:

shawshank
02-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Rafael Nadal complains about the court conditions at the indoor clay court event in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Apparently Nadal slipped and fell during a doubles match on Tuesday.

“This court is bad for the health of the players and I hope someone takes action,” he told reporters. “My team and I are going to talk to the organization and see what we can fix.”

Nadal and David Nalbandian defeated Spain's Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, 6-3, 3-6, 11-9, in the doubles match.

Nadal also was said to have complained about ‘crumbling’ lines and the balls being too light and hard to see.

I hate situation like this. With Rafa running every ball, this might be very dangerous... Why they can't prepare good court there? And why the hell is this tournament indoors? It would be much better for Rafa to play VdM, BA and ACA...

MariaV
02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Rafael Nadal complains about the court conditions at the indoor clay court event in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Apparently Nadal slipped and fell during a doubles match on Tuesday.

“This court is bad for the health of the players and I hope someone takes action,” he told reporters. “My team and I are going to talk to the organization and see what we can fix.”

Nadal and David Nalbandian defeated Spain's Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, 6-3, 3-6, 11-9, in the doubles match.

Nadal also was said to have complained about ‘crumbling’ lines and the balls being too light and hard to see.

I hate situation like this. With Rafa running every ball, this might be very dangerous... Why they can't prepare good court there? And why the hell is this tournament indoors? It would be much better for Rafa to play VdM, BA and ACA...

Yeah I don't know why he decided to play 2 weeks in a row (with DOUBLES!) right after comeback. Probably Sao Paulo paid more than BA. :o
And I think it's indoors because the weather might cause problems otherwise (could be rain and thunderstorms I see), only my guess.

born_on_clay
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Maria, you're right - it tends to be rainy in Sao Paulo in this period of year

Naudio Spanlatine
02-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I just hope that Rafa will be ok for Indian wells. And also clay season.

born_on_clay
02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
I just hope that Rafa will be ok for Indian wells. And also clay season.

Is he going to play Indian Wells ?

shawshank
02-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Maria, you're right - it tends to be rainy in Sao Paulo in this period of year

In that case what's the point in moving this tournament from Costa do Sauipe?
BTW the draw cleared a little. Souza-Berlocq-Alund/Volandri... I really can't see Rafa losing to any of them. I just hope that maybe Nalbandian can kick out Almagro.

shawshank
02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
For me this court looks extra quick. There are barely any rallies. I don't think that Rafa likes the fact that he is playing there...

star
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
:yippee: :yippee: 6-3; 6-4

I didn't see any of it. The score isn't exciting, but it's solid. If someone did watch, I'd love to hear about it.

mseles1
02-14-2013, 11:40 PM
For me this court looks extra quick. There are barely any rallies.

Rafa caught a number of times on his 2nd shot after his opponent's return. Court seems similar to how Madrid plays (hc with a sandy sprinkling), it's quicker than Miami.
Bet365 commie said he looked old in Chile final & his R2 form in Brasil was depressing - muting him next time.

star
02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Rafa caught a number of times on his 2nd shot after his opponent's return. Court seems similar to how Madrid plays (hc with a sandy sprinkling), it's quicker than Miami.
Bet365 commie said he looked old in Chile final & his R2 form in Brasil was depressing - muting him next time.

:lol: :lol:

What did you think?

mseles1
02-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm not the best when it comes to critising Rafa.
Serve looked good, 1 df when serving for the match, more than an ace. Pretty unplayable when he's hitting deep, court seems quick but takes spin well. Forehand - love it like it's a person. A number of very deep backhands which surely will please 'the team.' Volleying got better as the match wore on.
First time I ever saw Rafa waiting for an opponent (Rafa ready to serve.) He said something to the umpire. Sousa? tried to whip up the crowd, show-boating - Rafa didn't seem appreciative.

Mimi
02-15-2013, 01:09 AM
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Naudio Spanlatine
02-15-2013, 04:01 AM
Is he going to play Indian Wells ?

I thought he was. The news or some post said that he was playing there. Majority of the people thought he wasnt gonna play there.

born_on_clay
02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
I think Rafa will skip one of the US Masters.

And he looked very unsure on court - way too rusty. No chances to beat Almagro in my opinion. Not mentioning other top 10 players in upcoming months :scared:

Mimi
02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
shit, Almargo is there? :scared: :scared: :banghead: :banghead:

shawshank
02-15-2013, 09:43 AM
I think Rafa will skip one of the US Masters.

And he looked very unsure on court - way too rusty. No chances to beat Almagro in my opinion. Not mentioning other top 10 players in upcoming months :scared:

No way he beats Almagro here, but I'm confident it will be different story in Acapulco. Clay in Acapulco is exactly as Rafa would like it to be. This Sao Paulo is way to quick.
I think match against Souza looked like a match in indoor hard tournament. Easy holds from both and then one break each set. Rafa was really rusty, so I expect similar match today with a scoreline 7/5 6/4 or sth like this.
Vamos Rafa!

shawshank
02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
shit, Almargo is there? :scared: :scared: :banghead: :banghead:

There is a small chance that Nalby will get a job done for Rafito... :devil:

shawshank
02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Some sentences from press conference:

"Today I felt good," Nadal said. "It's not perfect yet, I don't know when I'll be at 100 percent. It was acceptable. I'm confident that as the days and weeks go by I'll recover what's still missing."

"I was more or less OK - I'm in a process of recovery," said Nadal.

"The important thing is to have regularity, to be able to compete. I am confident that with the days and weeks, I will regain what I am missing."

"The problem is not the court. The problem is the ball which is very bad," he added.

"It's the fault of the ATP for allowing play with a [tennis] ball of poor quality. The ATP does not have the capacity or the infrastructure to be able to analyse the conditions before the tournament begins."

What balls are they playing with?

born_on_clay
02-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Mimi, Nico is there.

shawshank - thanks for the interview. I've heard before that balls and court condition are unacceptable :help:

Mimi
02-15-2013, 11:01 AM
fat David is not much better than Almargo. He had beaten rafa a lot of times :banghead :banghead:

born_on_clay
02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm afraid the indoor factor will be decisive this weeks more than real clay tennis...

shawshank
02-15-2013, 01:04 PM
fat David is not much better than Almargo. He had beaten rafa a lot of times :banghead :banghead:

Yes, but in this case I can't see David winning his first tournament that he is playing in 6 months. He can win against Almagro and then lose to Montanes or Bolelli :)

shawshank
02-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Hard to believe that Alund is the player waiting for Rafa in the semis...

MariaV
02-15-2013, 08:18 PM

Yeah LOL he better not lose. But losing in the final again would be horrible. :o

born_on_clay
02-15-2013, 10:06 PM

yeah, another runner up plate :sad:

mseles1
02-16-2013, 12:51 AM
I didn't think I could admire Rafa more. This was like the good old days of watching Seles (when not playing well) win on heart alone.
Needs to spend a week on his backhand & 2nd serve and please Jimmy - start to entertain the notion of decreasing serve speed to up 1st serve percentage.
Commie - 'Rafa looked tentative last week & in his first match here.' Seems to be under the impression it's July 2012 and Rafa having won 4/5 clay events, well 4/4 proper clay events, is playing Gstaad!

Ben.
02-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Yeah LOL he better not lose. But losing in the final again would be horrible. :o

yeah, another runner up plate :sad:

It's happening :awww:

Mimi
02-16-2013, 01:29 AM
i hate runner-up plate, so you better win rafa :fiery: :fiery:

shawshank
02-16-2013, 01:05 PM
OMG, what a drama! Couldn't watch it, just followed scoreboard in my phone. And I couldn't get signal after Rafa got broken in 3rd set, so I had to wait 2 hours to see the result... :) At least I was surprised :)
If Rafa has to lose, I think I prefer it to be in semis than again in the final... :( I still hope that maybe Nalby will be to tired today!
Anyway, I don't treat this Sao Paulo as a real tournament. Acapulco will be a real test!

born_on_clay
02-16-2013, 10:16 PM
I have never seen Rafa playing so uneffective. I'm worried about the future.

p.s. I love Rafa and will root for him until I die ;)

mseles1
02-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Shocking second set, certainly the breaker aside, much better from Rafa.
Rafa receiving yet another warning - he must be so pleased so many people are flocking to see him in SA, buffering ATP coffers yet more, who in turn are penalising countless players excluding Roger of course. Why don't they do anything about players having conversations with their support camps during matches?
What an effort from Alund this tournament!
Nalby will trouble Rafa on return for sure, but having watched both semis, Nalby looked far from unbeatable.

shawshank
02-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Sad thing- Rafa will probably lose both first finals after his comeback... I can't see him winning against Nalbandian. Watching Rafa at the moment is far from pleasure... I believe Acapulco will change it.

born_on_clay
02-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Sad thing- Rafa will probably lose both first finals after his comeback... I can't see him winning against Nalbandian. Watching Rafa at the moment is far from pleasure... I believe Acapulco will change it.

I don't care about this title as well as I don't care about Acapulco.

I want back my old good Rafa until Monte Carlo begins.

And I belive time can change things ;)
:wavey:

mseles1
02-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Even if Rafa loses tomorrow's final, two consecutive finals after a six + month break is a brilliant effort. Del Potro in 2010 lost two R1 matches without winning a set by comparision (he had surgery of course.)
As for Rafa being ineffective, in the 2nd set certainly, can a 6-1 set be called ineffective? The problem in the last two rounds has been Rafa not moving his opponent(s) around. Can see Nalbandian winning the final, Rafa winning seven games indoors not really confidence boosting but Bolelli was very poor today and Nalby got nervous.

Mimi
02-17-2013, 05:32 AM
fat David? :scared:

fingers crossed for rafa to get this title, try your best rafa! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

MariaV
02-17-2013, 09:19 AM
We'll see. Nalby is also unpredictable, even if a huge (wasted) talent. :o
At least losing to David would be OK.

born_on_clay
02-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Even if Rafa loses tomorrow's final, two consecutive finals after a six + month break is a brilliant effort. Del Potro in 2010 lost two R1 matches without winning a set by comparision (he had surgery of course.)
As for Rafa being ineffective, in the 2nd set certainly, can a 6-1 set be called ineffective? The problem in the last two rounds has been Rafa not moving his opponent(s) around. Can see Nalbandian winning the final, Rafa winning seven games indoors not really confidence boosting but Bolelli was very poor today and Nalby got nervous.

yeah, you're right. Rafa's comeback seem far better than Del Potro's.

Time will tell wheather Rafa will return at his 100% again

shawshank
02-17-2013, 03:47 PM
"I didn’t play well today. It’s complicated to play well with these conditions, for my style of play," said Nadal. "It’s complicated to control the ball and I’m struggling to be able to play aggressive and to be able to control the situation," he said, adding that his knee hurt more on Saturday that it did earlier in the week. "When my knee hurts, I cannot move well and when I cannot move well, I cannot hit the ball well."

Very bad sign before the final...
But you're right, screw Sao Paulo!

mseles1
02-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah Rafa! Ten str8 years of winning an ATP title.
Hope Nalby continues to play well this year.

Ben.
02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Better signs today. Hitting deeper though movement still poor at times. Helped out by Dave too, it must be said.

Can forget about last week's travesty now. This should be a missing piece of the comeback puzzle.

Foxy
02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Vamos, Rafa!!! That's what we are talking about!!! Rip them a new one in the next tournaments. Rule them badly!!! Vamos!!!

star
02-17-2013, 06:21 PM
And to go along with the trophy, Rafa is going to have a new watch!

Well, Nadal's wrist just got a little more expensive. Richard Mille came out with a new timepiece for the tennis player to sport on court, and it will ring in at a whopping $690,000. Seriously.
The initial watch was model RM027, which weighed just 20 grams, but the new model has dropped a gram of fat and somehow that makes it $100,000 more expensive.

Richard Mille plans to make just 50 of the new Nadal pieces and the number you see above is how much you'll have to pay to tell time like a Grand Slam champion.

shawshank
02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Wow! I didn't see this coming. To me it seemed more possible to win VdM (real clay tournament) against Zeballos than SA (terrible quick indoor clay) against Nalbandian. Tennis surprises me yet again.
I wouldn't take to many assumptions regarding Rafa's movement. This court didn't allow to slide and Rafa was just cautious on this slippery surface. Also it was his 13 match in 12 days, so he could have been tired. Rafa's movement in VdM was much better.
Nadal will rest for a couple of days now on the beach in Acapulco and should be in good shape next week. I just hope that his knee will be fine (it was apparently not against Alund as he said).
#51 tastes special :)

mseles1
02-17-2013, 06:40 PM
#51 tastes special :)

Without question, I can't believe he won at altitude indoors! I've seen Rafa look more comfortable playing in Cincy.

It's a beautiful watch but just slightly out of my price range - I'll stick with my storm.

star
02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
I was looking for trophy presentation pictures and I ran across this gem. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/445336-us-open-2010-10-reasons-why-rafael-nadal-will-never-win-the-us-open

It made me smile, and I hope you all get a chuckle out of it too. :) Rafa had exceeded expectations before, and I hope he exceeds mine in his comeback from such a long time away from the tour.

star
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
http://p2.trrsf.com.br/image/fget/cf/619/464/images.terra.com/2013/02/17/17022013brasilopennadalxnalbandian0114.JPG

evilmindbulgaria
02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
i hate runner-up plate, so you better win rafa :fiery: :fiery:

This win is for you, Mimi :hug: Enjoy!

So happy with the title, but his game must improve drastically in the next couple of weeks/months. Nevertheless,let's hope that is the beginning of a winning streak!

star
02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Com "pneu moral", Nadal bate Nalbandian e vence 1º título pós-lesão

http://p2.trrsf.com.br/image/fget/cf/619/464/images.terra.com/2013/02/17/17022013brasilopennadalxnalbandian0004.JPG

Rafael Nadal conquistou em São Paulo o primeiro título desde o retorno às quadras. O espanhol, número 5 do mundo, venceu um jogo recheado de altos e baixos contra o argentino David Nalbandian, o 93, neste domingo, garantindo o bicampeonato do Brasil Open. A partida disputada no Ginásio do Ibirapuera, em São Paulo, foi definida por 2 a 0, com parciais de 6/2 e 6/3, em uma hora e 18 minutos.

Marcado por muitos erros de ambos os lados, o segundo set teve andamento estranho. Nalbandian abriu rapidamente 3/0, mas perdeu seis games consecutivos até cair por 6/3. A sequência configurou um "pneu moral" - "pneu" é o nome dado no tênis quando um jogador é derrotado por 6/0.

No último ponto, Nadal encaixou um forehand na paralela a qual Nalbandian tentou responder com um slice. A bola flutuou até sair por pouco, o que provocou uma grande reação do público que lotava o Ginásio do Ibirapuera, com capacidade para 9.300 espectadores.

http://p2.trrsf.com.br/image/fget/cf/407/305/images.terra.com/2013/02/17/17022013brasilopennadalxnalbandian0013.JPG
Nalbandian havia ganhado fama por ser um dos únicos tenistas com retrospecto positivo diante do espanhol, mas agora tem sequência de cinco derrotas
Foto: Fernando Borges / Terra

Neste momento, o espanhol ergueu ambos os braços para festejar o 51º título da carreira, sendo o 37º no saibro e o segundo no Brasil, onde já havia triunfado em 2005, quando o único ATP nacional era organizado na Costa do Sauípe.

Em São Paulo, o espanhol comemorou o primeiro título desde voltar às quadras. Ele esteve afastado entre junho de 2012 e fevereiro de 2013, recuperando-se de uma inflamação no tendão patelar (síndrome de Hoffa) e uma ruptura parcial no tendão rotuliano do joelho esquerdo.

Ele havia retornado ao circuito na semana passada, sendo vice-campeão do ATP 250 de Viña del Mar, sendo derrotado na decisão pelo argentino Horacio Zeballos. Nesta semana, admitiu que ainda sofria com dores no joelho esquerdo - atua com uma faixa logo abaixo dessa região do corpo - e lamentou que o sábado, quando venceu o argentino Martín Alund na semifinal do Brasil Open, havia sido o "pior" dia em termos de dores.

Apesar de ainda não estar 100% fisicamente, Nadal venceu Nalbandian pela quinta vez na carreira, a quinta consecutiva. Antes disso, o argentino havia ganhado fama por ser um dos únicos tenistas com retrospecto positivo diante do espanhol - derrotou o colega duas vezes em um intervalo de três semanas em 2007, vencendo por 6/1 e 6/2 nas quartas de final do Masters Series de Madri e por 6/4 e 6/0 na decisão do Masters Series de Paris. O encontro deste domingo foi o primeiro dos rivais em uma quadra de saibro.

Durante as rodadas anteriores da competição, Nalbandian havia recebido grande apoio do público, mas a maioria dos fãs neste domingo se mostrava favorável a Nadal. Os espectadores se manifestaram bastante na virada do quinto para o sexto game do segundo set, quando os ex-jogadores de futebol Ronaldo e Djalminha, além do lutador de artes marciais mistas Anderson Silva, chegaram às tribunas do ginásio.

Assim como já havia ocorrido no último sábado, alguns torcedores chegaram a se sentar nas escadas das arquibancadas do Ginásio do Ibirapuera, tanto no setor inferior quanto no setor superior. Tentando contornar a situação, seguranças liberaram a entrada dos fãs em quatro fileiras de cadeiras, em uma das laterais do ginásio, que eram destinadas à imprensa.

Nadal, 26 anos, liderou o ranking mundial por 102 semanas na carreira e ocupava a terceira posição no momento em que se afastou do circuito, após a derrota na segunda rodada de Wimbledon. No retorno, ele repete a história de 2005, quando conquistou o Brasil Open na até então última vez em que havia jogado como profissional no País.

Naquela oportunidade, na Costa do Sauípe, o espanhol tinha 18 anos de idade, era o número 48 do mundo e venceu o compatriota Alberto Martín na decisão. Aquele título, o segundo da carreira do jogador, marcou o início de uma grande fase para ele, que ainda em 2005 conquistaria Roland Garros e mais nove competições (Acapulco, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Roma, Bastad, Stuttgart, Montreal, Pequim e Madri), fechando o ano como o vice-líder do ranking.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/tenis/atp/com-pneu-moral-nadal-bate-nalbandian-e-vence-1-titulo-pos-lesao,96385f1b449ec310VgnVCM20000099cceb0aRCRD.htm l

star
02-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Too long since we've seen this!

http://p2.trrsf.com.br/image/fget/cf/619/464/images.terra.com/2013/02/17/17022013brasilopennadalxnalbandian0116.JPG

or this. He looks so happy.

http://p2.trrsf.com.br/image/fget/cf/619/464/images.terra.com/2013/02/17/17022013brasilopennadalxnalbandian0115.JPG

star
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
My friend Raquel kindly summarized the article for me.

I have no idea what that means, [pneu moral] it's a Brazilian idiom or something...

The article doesn't say anything special. Match had up and downs, mentioned the score, says they both made a lot of UEs and that he second set was weird because nalby lead 3-0 and then lost 6 consecutive games.

oh... then explain the pneu moral! Pneu is a bagel. But it wasn't a bagel but Rafa won 6 staright games, so it was a moral bagel = penu moral. brazilians......

Then they describe the last point and say the crowd went crazy when Rafa won.

Then the last paragraphs they talk about Vina del Mar and explain why Rafa was away for so long!

born_on_clay
02-17-2013, 08:53 PM
So happy for Rafa. It's really good to see him winning again.

But we can't forget his game atm is far from the one which will allow him to beat Djokovic or Federer. I really hope this silwervare will be a huge confidence boots for our hero :hearts:

star
02-17-2013, 09:05 PM
So happy for Rafa. It's really good to see him winning again.

But we can't forget his game atm is far from the one which will allow him to beat Djokovic or Federer. I really hope this silwervare will be a huge confidence boots for our hero :hearts:

Yes, you are right. It is refreshing tho after VdM. :lol:

He has a LONG road back and it's a bit too much to expect that he will be able to hold his own with the big boys for some time.

I look at Sharapova and her comeback after shoulder surgery. It's hard to believe how tenacious and determined she was and battled through so many dispiriting losses. I'm not exactly a fan of hers, but I respect her battle to comeback. It was hard to watch, and I'm sure Rafa's will be hard to watch. I just hope it dosen't take as long and that he's made the right choices about his knee.

shawshank
02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
“It's very nice and important because at the end of your career what’s left are the titles, and depending on certain moments there are some titles that you appreciate very much,” said Nadal. “This one I appreciate it the most because of all the struggles I went through during the week, with some problems with my knee some days.”

"[It’s] true, David didn’t play very well, but in general I played my best match of the week,” Nadail said. “I am very happy, to win in Brazil for the second time, it's wonderful. In 2005 it was the beginning of all these last beautiful years. I hope this will be a re-start.”

"I'll definitely enjoy this one because of all the problems that I've gone through with the knee," he said. "When I won for the first time here I was just starting and hopefully this will mark a new beginning."

"When the knee is feeling better like today I feel like that I can do more of the things that I used to do my entire life," he said. "If the pain is bearable like it was today, then it's fine."

"Right now I'm just thinking about celebrating this title, it means a lot to me," Nadal said. "I still need time, so I'm thinking day to day, week to week."

So it seems that the knee was much better in VdM. At least this is what I understand from Rafa words. This is bery bad sign in general... It also seems that it was better today than yesterday. Strange story with this knee. Hope that we will see much better Rafa in Acapulco :)

Mimi
02-18-2013, 01:52 AM
This win is for you, Mimi :hug: Enjoy!

So happy with the title, but his game must improve drastically in the next couple of weeks/months. Nevertheless,let's hope that is the beginning of a winning streak!

thank you my dear friend, good way to start the most horrible day of the week: i.e. Monday :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

born_on_clay
02-18-2013, 08:47 AM
“It's very nice and important because at the end of your career what’s left are the titles, and depending on certain moments there are some titles that you appreciate very much,” said Nadal. “This one I appreciate it the most because of all the struggles I went through during the week, with some problems with my knee some days.”

"[It’s] true, David didn’t play very well, but in general I played my best match of the week,” Nadail said. “I am very happy, to win in Brazil for the second time, it's wonderful. In 2005 it was the beginning of all these last beautiful years. I hope this will be a re-start.”

"I'll definitely enjoy this one because of all the problems that I've gone through with the knee," he said. "When I won for the first time here I was just starting and hopefully this will mark a new beginning."

"When the knee is feeling better like today I feel like that I can do more of the things that I used to do my entire life," he said. "If the pain is bearable like it was today, then it's fine."

"Right now I'm just thinking about celebrating this title, it means a lot to me," Nadal said. "I still need time, so I'm thinking day to day, week to week."

So it seems that the knee was much better in VdM. At least this is what I understand from Rafa words. This is bery bad sign in general... It also seems that it was better today than yesterday. Strange story with this knee. Hope that we will see much better Rafa in Acapulco :)

For me it is strange that he plays with pain. Will playing make the knee better or it is just about learning how to play with pain ? :confused:

Enjoy the title Mimi :)

shawshank
02-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Rafa posted yesterday evening picture at the airport in Sao Paulo. Does anyone know if he is flying stright to Acapulco?

VamosRafaNadal
02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Rafa posted yesterday evening picture at the airport in Sao Paulo. Does anyone know if he is flying stright to Acapulco?

No, but he is in Mexico. He flyed to Cozumel, a little, beautiful and relaxing island of Mexico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozumel):

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/02/48/f5/d1/allegro-beach.jpg

He is staying in the "Secrets Aura Cozumel Resorts & Spa" hotel (http://www.secretsresorts.com/aura-cozumel), wich looks pretty great:

http://www.secretsresorts.com/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/seacz.top-slideshow.property_01gk-is-293.jpg

http://www.honeymoonsinc.com/Portals/0/Images/Cozumel/Aura/Aura_Cozumel_Grand_Private_Pool.JPG

He is with his family in a mini-holiday of three days, and then he will fly to Acapulco (he has a kind of meeting with Champions Drink Resposibly on Saturday I think).

VamosRafaNadal
02-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Well, in fact Rafa Nadal was one of the owners of the hotel I don't know if he is still involved in this hotel today or not.

shawshank
02-18-2013, 05:42 PM
No, but he is in Mexico. He flyed to Cozumel, a little, beautiful and relaxing island of Mexico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozumel):

He is with his family in a mini-holiday of three days, and then he will fly to Acapulco (he has a kind of meeting with Champions Drink Resposibly on Saturday I think).

Wow! Thanks for this info. I don't know how you found it! I tried also but didn't find this info. I thought he will have holidays already in Acapulco. I went there last year for the tournament and spend some time in this amazing hotel where the players are staying next to the courts. He will also enjoy it for sure :) I wonder if he is planning to play tennis in these 3 days in Cozumel or completly relax...

born_on_clay
02-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Wow! Thanks for this info. I don't know how you found it! I tried also but didn't find this info. I thought he will have holidays already in Acapulco. I went there last year for the tournament and spend some time in this amazing hotel where the players are staying next to the courts. He will also enjoy it for sure :) I wonder if he is planning to play tennis in these 3 days in Cozumel or completly relax...

I think he deserves three days without touching a racquet ;)

VamosRafaNadal
02-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Well it was a hard work to find some information but finally I saw it in Twitter and the information was believable (in fact today the local newspaper of the island has some pics of Nadal in the front page.

It is nice, it looks great. He will enjoy it :D I don't think that he is going to practice these three days :lol:

shawshank
02-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Well it was a hard work to find some information but finally I saw it in Twitter and the information was believable (in fact today the local newspaper of the island has some pics of Nadal in the front page.

It is nice, it looks great. He will enjoy it :D I don't think that he is going to practice these three days :lol:

Can you post those pictures? :)

VamosRafaNadal
02-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Yes of course, I only have two and there are about the same pic :lol:

This is the front page of a local newspaper of Cozumel:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/18095_332191020235081_1759216257_n.jpg

And this is the link to the online edition of this newspaper, with this image with better quality:

http://www.dqr.com.mx/images/stories/2013/febrero/19_feb/es-un-paraiso.jpg

http://www.dqr.com.mx/index.php/cozumel/56491-es-un-paraiso-nadal

Basically they are saying that at the arrival of the Cozumel's airport the people working there took photos with him and after that he started enjoying the Cozumel's environment. If you want to read the whole new use a translator and if you don't understand something (translators are not working OK sometimes) ask me :D

Regards mate :). If I see more pictures I'll post them here or in Rafachat or other thread like these two :D

star
02-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Cozumel is a lovely place. Very charming with very nice people. I recommend it to anyone wanting a beach vacation. It's more relaxing than Acapulco. I like the Gulf/Caribbean side more than the Pacific side.

Thank you so much for the pictures!

Thanks to the tip that the hotel my belong to Nadal, I did some research. Here's an article from Travel Weekly that explains the deal.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/AMResorts-takes-over-Rafael-Nadal-resorts-in-Cozumel/

And here is something about a contest (that we didnt' know about :sad:) to meet Rafa now while he is in Cozumel.

http://www.cozumel.travel/about/news.cfm?show=54

Naudio Spanlatine
02-20-2013, 05:33 AM
VAMOS RAFA VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I am so late. :banghead: :o

Ash86
02-20-2013, 07:49 AM
I don't think that he is going to practice these three days :lol:

Apparently he will - they've built a clay court specifically for him (the hotel only had hard courts). :)

http://www.respuestadeportiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/CAPA-1.gif

http://www.respuestadeportiva.com/?p=46346

shawshank
02-20-2013, 09:15 AM
It's really nice to hear that Cozumel got so excited over Rafa coming there :) This court looks more like a hard court rather than clay :) So probably Rafa is again spending 4 hours a day training. I'm not sure if that's good for his knee, but let's wait and see!

MariaV
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Oh wow, that's a brand new court then, thanks everyone for the info.

born_on_clay
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
I can't wait for Acapulco :-)

mseles1
02-27-2013, 04:29 AM
'I'm not opening a new thread, shall we continue in the Sao Paulo one?'

Taking Star's advice - 1st match d&d 6-2 6-2 sgainst a game opponent. Looked far better than in Brasil. Backhand more assertive, particularly dtl (always a good sign.) Crowd were mighty supportive after the match, during less so but that was probably due more to Almagro losing a game, Errani - five and Ferrer three.

Mimi
02-27-2013, 09:10 AM
:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

born_on_clay
02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
nice opening :yeah:

MariaV
02-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Maybe Star can change the thread title. :D

shawshank
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Marca said Rafa is not playing IW and Miami.
L'equipe said Rafa is playing IW.
Any ideas which one is telling the truth?

I was shocked to realise there were no stream from Rafa's match, so I have no idea how he played.

shawshank
02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHueOLq5TXc

Rafa talks here about his participation in IW and Miami (around 4:00). He intends to play there.

born_on_clay
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
skip bloody Miami Rafa :mad:

p.s. and win Acapulco please :)

shawshank
02-28-2013, 05:32 AM
6/0 6/4. Good first set. Some troubles in second. Rafa had to save some bp's, but good performance in general.
Next up is Leonardo Mayer (5th consecutive Argentinian that Nadal will play).

PS. Change the title please :)

mseles1
02-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Without question his most impressive match in this three tourney stretch. Granted Alund ain't Djokovic but Rafa looked good. His backhand is unrecognisable this tournament compared to Brasil. One of my absolute favourite plays late in 2nd set - fh onto one sideline, then a fh onto the other = unplayable.

Please humour me here. A poster on tt posted this and the thread was closed and it's really playing on my mind. Worst aspect about it, it was posted by a fan!

'If you've watched Nadal in his comeback you have seen that he is prime to getting blown off the court even by journeymen on clay now.'

6-3 6-2
6-1 6-4
6-2 6-2
7-6(2) 6-7(6) 4-6
6-3 6-4
3-6 6-4 6-4
6-3 6-7(2) 6-1
6-2 6-3
6-2 6-2
6-0 6-4

The above scores really prove their point.

Skip Indian Wells!

Mimi
02-28-2013, 08:17 AM
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Naudio Spanlatine
02-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Well thats good that Rafa is doing well in these tournaments. :)

born_on_clay
02-28-2013, 12:32 PM
a win is always a win :shrug:

I'm scared about SF here :scared:

MariaV
02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
a win is always a win :shrug:

Yeah, QF vs Mayer is do-able but then Zeballos or Almugro. :scared: :unsure:
Hope the knees hold up, we need at least one more RG title. *praying*

born_on_clay
02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Good luck tonight champ !

mseles1
03-01-2013, 04:59 AM
Two stunning forehands to go 3-2 up 2nd set, the first one needs a gif. Backhand for 4-3 - sweet. Federer would of been pleased with the bh slice Rafa hit to get to his first matchpoint! 3rd point eleventh game...

I don't think it's a given Rafa will win Acapulco, I personally didn't think he'd win any of the golden swing tourneys.

Tonight's game was a typical Almagro match with great serving the highlight. Brilliant when the ball's hit to him, far less so when the opponent makes him run. Rafa was guilty in a number of matches in Brasil - hitting straight at his opponent, not seen any evidence of it here. As for Zeballos, why couldn't he play, more to the point serve like that in VDM?

Should Almagro reach matchpoint against Rafa I'm cutting my stream, got a feeling should he beat Rafa his reaction would make Volandri's Rome'07 reaction appear reserved!

born_on_clay
03-01-2013, 08:07 AM
ok, this will be his first big test after his comeback. Can't wait to see if he can beat Almagro on clay :scared:

MariaV
03-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Almugro is a headcase but we know what he's capable of. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is one of those things so let's hope things will go OK for Rafa. ;) *praying for the knees*

shawshank
03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Rafa quotes after Alund's match:

"For the last three days, the feeling [in the knee] is so much better," said the 11-time Grand Slam champion.

"I'm able to compete with a fairly acceptable condition, something that I didn't feel in Chile or Sao Paulo. It's a big improvement for me, it gives me hope and motivation to keep on going."

"The first set was very, very good, perhaps the best one in the tour so far," said Nadal.

"I'm really happy with the way that I competed in that first set. In the second one I got a little bit tired and it was an even match before he made some mistakes for me to win it."

What the hell does it man that Rafa got tired after 6/0 set? Anyway, good to hear that his knee if much better :)

shawshank
03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Rafa quotes after Mayer's match:

"This was a very difficult match. Leonardo was playing really well in the second set," Nadal said.

"He began to play more aggressive and his serve was working well."

"I don't feel like the favourite for tomorrow," said Nadal. "It's been seven months without competing and I will be facing a great clay player.

"I will do my best to play a great match to reach the final, it's that clear."

"So far I've played in three semi-finals and that's fantastic news, and it's even better because my three best games have been here," he said.

"Now I feel like I have nothing to lose no matter what happens tomorrow. Either I will go on to play the final or I will go happy to play in another tournament knowing that the knee is responding better."

star
03-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Sorry guys. I was busy getting ready for IW and thot someone would start a new thread for Acapulco.

mseles1
03-02-2013, 06:40 AM
What the hell does it man that Rafa got tired after 6/0 set? Anyway, good to hear that his knee if much better :)

I was confused by that. Thought it was a case of lost in translation and Rafa meant he was bored.

30 minutes late on because of Errani loudly boring everyone for far too long.

I was hoping Acapulco was slow enough for clay court tennis but Almagro for the majority of the match was flying through service games quicker than he was in Melbourne. Surface will probably be slower next year with the introduction of hard courts. 365 commies were speaking about Almagro like he was Borg who'd managed to shave off three decades and had made a comeback. They were muted!

Nadal is truly a class apart when it comes to overcoming adversity. Maybe that's why this Seles fan was hooked from the first time I watched him play! The worst thing Almagro could have done was hit the ball at Rafa, good tactic - wrong player.

1-1 15-0 2nd set Almagro serving, two straight return winners from Rafa. I don't think I've seen that since 2008. Rafa's defence vintage at times.

I went for a ciggie @ 4-4 2nd set and missed the break. Evidently smoking really is bad for a person.

born_on_clay
03-02-2013, 08:53 AM
good luck in final Rafa
still great result this week
Rafa's in top 10 in race :yeah:

shawshank
03-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Such a relief to watch a match like this. Rafa could be better at ROS, but in general I was really pleased with how he played. I hope that RG 2012 will stay in Ferrer's mind. It would be great to win in Acapulco, but to me it's 50-50. Rafa needs to serve well and wait for that one game of Ferrer when he can breake him.
The best news anyway is to hear that Rafa's knee is better and that he is saying he can run every ball. That's great.
Vamos Rafa :)

born_on_clay
03-02-2013, 02:01 PM
good luck tonight champ

mseles1
03-03-2013, 04:31 AM
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/7m4f3l5p4ghth4o9bory.gif

Scarily good!

5th game 2nd set, Ferrer 30-15 - all kinds of awesome.

I thought gm posters were premature suggesting Rafa would be beaten badly by top 5/8 opposition. Six + months of playing competition, some of whom at most brush the ball with topspin, then Rafa's topspin rolls back into town. It was never gonna happen.

365 commies - 'The latest rumour is Rafa will play IW and won't play Miami.'

evilmindbulgaria
03-03-2013, 04:43 AM
Very good match by Rafa! Congrats to all who have stuck around despite all the injuries and disappointments! And to my dear Mimi - don't stop believing :hug:

NadalPhan
03-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Haven't visited this place in like forever.

I missed the match, but I heard Rafa played exceptionally well.

born_on_clay
03-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Acapulco champion :banana:

I really didn't expect this coming especially a massive beatdown :hatoff:

Ben.
03-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Really didn't expect or want to see this type of beatdown again. Where did this form on the BH wing come from though? It's been a long time since I've seen it any where near that effective.

shawshank
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Amazing FH, amazing BH, good serve, movement is back. Our Rafa is back!
Vamos! #52 and counting!
And I am really happy that he will play in IW! Good choice.
What is stupid is flying today to New York just to fly to Indian Wells next day. These are very long flights. I hate those exhos.

MariaV
03-03-2013, 02:16 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
Meh those exhos but whatever. He can just take it easy at IW now.
STAR, PLEASE PLEASE reports from IW! :angel:

star
03-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Of course! I will write as much as you all want. I am here and set to be at the gate first thing. With the exho, probably Rafa won't be practicing early. Last year he was normally on the court already practicing when I arrived. Especially during the first week.

Yippee for the great score in the match, but even better news is that Rafa feels good. I think this recovery period has been a roller coaster for him with a lot of fears and discouragement. Anyone who has been through a long rehab knows how sometimes despair and doubt can prey on your mind.

P.S. do you all want iw reports in a separate thread or in the match thread?

MariaV
03-03-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd prefer the reports in the tournament thread and maybe you could open the thread, if the others agree? Would be fitting, no? :angel: You've brought luck to Rafa so far. :D :D

evilmindbulgaria
03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Of course! I will write as much as you all want. I am here and set to be at the gate first thing. With the exho, probably Rafa won't be practicing early. Last year he was normally on the court already practicing when I arrived. Especially during the first week.

Yippee for the great score in the match, but even better news is that Rafa feels good. I think this recovery period has been a roller coaster for him with a lot of fears and discouragement. Anyone who has been through a long rehab knows how sometimes despair and doubt can prey on your mind.

I am going for 4 days too, I can post some photos.

Mimi
03-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Very good match by Rafa! Congrats to all who have stuck around despite all the injuries and disappointments! And to my dear Mimi - don't stop believing :hug:

thanks my dear :hearts:

Mimi
03-04-2013, 02:59 AM

wow, you are going to IW? Thats great, enjoy yourself :hug: :hug: :woohoo:

Mimi
03-04-2013, 03:00 AM

enjoy yourself :hug: :woohoo:

star
03-04-2013, 03:15 AM

oh great! Which 4 days?

wow, you are going to IW? Thats great, enjoy yourself :hug: :hug: :woohoo:

I am here now, dear Mimi. I'm in my little condo, and getting ready to go tomorrow.

evilmindbulgaria
03-04-2013, 05:59 AM
oh great! Which 4 days?

I am here now, dear Mimi. I'm in my little condo, and getting ready to go tomorrow.

I wish I could come tomorrow, it will be less crowded at the beginning of the week. I am coming down with a couple of friends on Thursday of this week and staying until Sunday.

Mimi
03-04-2013, 07:19 AM
oh great! Which 4 days?

I see, hope you can get to see Rafa :woohoo:

MariaV
03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
:wavey: Anyone to open the IW thread? :wavey:

star
03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Why don't you do it Maria? I would do it but I might be erratic about updating.

evilmindbulgaria
03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I see, hope you can get to see Rafa :woohoo:

Hehe, I have seen him every year since 2007, Mimi :)

MariaV
03-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Why don't you do it Maria? I would do it but I might be erratic about updating.

No no no, I won't. :tape: Maybe Mimi is up to it?