Oh Dear God What is he Doing! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Oh Dear God What is he Doing!

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
First firing brad, now this.... has he lost his mind? He keeps this up he'll lose some fans, too.:o
---------
Roddick's Scent Of Success

By Tennis Week
12/13/2004

Andy Roddick's latest off-court success may smell like Paris Hilton and Maria Sharapova. The second-ranked Roddick has joined Hilton and Sharapova in an aromatic alliance.

Roddick, who is currently generating global headlines with reports he has fired coach Brad Gilbert, has signed a four-year endorsement deal with Parlux Fragrances, which signed Sharapova and Hilton to endorsement contracts earlier this year.

The Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based fragrance manufacturer will unveil a Roddick fragrance, possibly called "Andy", according to a published report in the current SportsBusiness Journal written by Daniel Kaplan. In addition to its existing deals with Sharapova and Hilton, Parlux holds the licenses for designer perfumes from Perry Ellis and Guess.

Andre Agassi, Carlos Moya and Gabriela Sabatini are among the other accomplished tennis players who have endorsed fragrance lines. Financial terms of Roddick's deal were not disclosed though the SportsBusiness Journal reports similar contracts pay hundreds of thousands of dollars annually with royalty sales potentially providing millions of dollars to the athlete endorser.

"It’s a big deal for Roddick because it cuts across and beyond tennis," Donald Dell, senior vice president of Clear Channel Entertainment, which owns SFX Sports, Roddick's representative, told the SportsBusiness Journal.

Roddick can look forward to another potentially profitable payday as his Reebok clothing and shoe contract expires on March 31st. Reebok is reportedly interested in retaining Roddick, it's leading tennis endorser, but may have to outbid competitors for that right.

tangerine_dream
12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Why should he lose fans over this? Agassi and Federer have cologne contracts, too. What's the big deal? :confused:

And seeing as how the fragrance will be used by men (presumably), calling it "Andy" wouldn't be a good idea, imo. They should give it a power name that reflects his game and/or personality. Like, I don't know, Brash? ;) :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Why should he lose fans over this? Agassi and Federer have cologne contracts, too. What's the big deal? :confused:

Well the fact that Andre and Roger have colognes are things I don't like about them ;) It's fruity and stupid and the focus needs to be on tennis. Plus it comes just one day after news that he fired his coach. I'm worried about his tennis, I don't care if he has a cologne or not.

I also hope that he stays with Reebok, I like that they are unique and don't sponsor many other men's players. I don't want Andy to have to wear the same Nike or Adidas crap that the other 90% of the tour wears :)

Jennay
12-13-2004, 09:45 PM
At least we know Andy wants to smell good :)

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 09:46 PM
:scratch: not really.... we know he wants to make money :)

star
12-13-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking I wouldn't want a scent of a tennis player. Lots of sweat and dirty sox. :p

MisterQ
12-13-2004, 11:10 PM
I know, when I see Andy, I don't exactly think of fragrant lilies.

*M*
12-13-2004, 11:27 PM

And seeing as how the fragrance will be used by men (presumably), calling it "Andy" wouldn't be a good idea, imo. They should give it a power name that reflects his game and/or personality. Like, I don't know, Brash? ;) :lol:Yes, but Roger and Andre seem more sophisticated, so the cologne connection seems a better fit. I can picture Andy endorsing something more like . . . beer. :)

Actually, though, I wonder how successful these fragrances are anyway. I was at the store yesterday and saw one for Britney Spears! I can see 12-year-old girls going for that, but I can't picture grown men wanting to be caught spraying on a celebrity cologne. I can't see the makers making money on it, considering they probably are paying the celebrity loads of cash to use their name.

I agree that "Andy" would be a dumb name. How about a contest to come up with a better one?

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I agree that "Andy" would be a dumb name. How about a contest to come up with a better one?

Good idea! Can the winner have a 10minute phone conversation with him so that we can tell him all the things we think he needs to do? :lol:

Didn't we say that Andy should hire all of US as his coach!?!? I think he should ;)

superpinkone37
12-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Good idea! Can the winner have a 10minute phone conversation with him so that we can tell him all the things we think he needs to do? :lol:

Didn't we say that Andy should hire all of US as his coach!?!? I think he should ;)

LOL!! does that mean we get to all travel all those places with him? you dont have to pay us much to do that lol.

but as for the perfume, fragrence, whatever you wanna call it, its just sounds fruity, imo. its funny just the other day i was saying to my mom that federer even has his own perfume and if andy did something like that i would be laughing so hard. and i like andy with reebok. like you said, its nice that andy is not wearing the same clothes as everyone else.

Havok
12-14-2004, 12:40 AM
:smoke:.

Iheartandy&roger
12-14-2004, 12:56 AM
ugh. whatever. it's his life. The end.

andyroxmysox12191
12-14-2004, 12:57 AM
*crosses fingers* Hope Andy stays with Reebok
Eeehh...go ahead do the cologne Andy. Just don't sniff it too much and let it get to your head and mess your tennisness up please!

MisterQ
12-14-2004, 01:39 AM
Yes, but Roger and Andre seem more sophisticated, so the cologne connection seems a better fit. I can picture Andy endorsing something more like . . . beer. :)

I agree.

maybe a hops-scented fragrance? ;)

surfpinky
12-14-2004, 03:30 AM
are andre's and roger's cologne even successful?! b/c i have never seen them at the stores :scratch: :shrug:
and i agree, i dont think men would go for it...the only cologne that men seem to have liked was michael jordan's...

superpinkone37
12-14-2004, 03:44 AM
actually, i have seen andre's in stores. i have not seen federer's but i dont know if it is even availiable here.

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:46 AM
I think Rogah's is only in Europe.... I mean that would make sense so I'm just assuming :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:33 PM
More news about this :o lol
=======
Andy Roddick Signs Exclusive Worldwide License Agreement With Parlux Fragrances

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Dec. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- World class
tennis star Andy Roddick has signed an exclusive license agreement with
Parlux Fragrances, Inc. (Nasdaq: PARL) to launch a signature fragrance
under his own name. Parlux expects to launch the fragrance before spring
2006. Roddick will play a creative role in product development. Financial
terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
"I am excited about this new venture," said Roddick. "I was told scent
is the strongest sense tied to memory so I'm jazzed to share input on
something that can create such a lasting impression. Most people know I
like to be an original both on and off the court, and I feel fragrance can
be such a personal expression. It will be exciting to see what we come up
with."
Ilia Lekach, Chairman and CEO of Parlux, added, "Andy is an extremely
charismatic young man with superb athletic ability. His poise and
magnetism attract a growing following of U.S. and international fans on
and off the tennis court and we are excited to welcome Andy into our
family of fragrances."
Donald Dell, Roddick's Marketing Advisor and Senior Vice President of
Clear Channel Entertainment, describes the union between the tennis
phenomenon and Parlux Fragrances, "This is a solid indication that Andy
Roddick's popularity and reach transcend tennis on a global level." Dell
continues, "Parlux is a well regarded company and wonderful team player.
We envision a long and happy relationship."

Parlux Fragrances, Inc. is a manufacturer and international
distributor of prestige fragrances and holds the licenses to manufacture
and distribute the designer fragrance brands of Perry Ellis, GUESS, Paris
Hilton, Maria Sharapova, Ocean Pacific (OP), and Fred Hayman Beverly
Hills.

The Company may periodically release forward-looking statements
pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities
Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve
known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause
actual results, performance or achievements of the Company or its industry
to be materially different from any future results, performance or
achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements.
These risks and uncertainties include, among others, future trends in
sales and the Company's ability to introduce new products in a cost-
effective manner. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on
these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date thereof.
The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly release the result of any
revisions to these forward-looking statements that may be made to reflect
events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence
of unanticipated events.

Whistleway
12-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Roger's is http://www.rfcosmetics.com/

ataptc
12-14-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm indifferent to andy having his own perfume line ;)
by the way, they're selling andre's here too

Black Adam
12-14-2004, 06:05 PM
i loved all the Rebok outfits ;)

PennyThePenguin
12-15-2004, 12:33 AM
i alomst bought the andre one for my dad mwahahahahahahaha... settled on CK in the end i think... hwaahhahahaha

ataptc
12-15-2004, 12:44 AM
:lol: so that means the andre one smelled good, jiat?

J. Corwin
12-15-2004, 10:05 PM
How well does Andre's and Roger's fragrances sell anyway? Andy's won't sell well, especially if it's named "Andy". ;) But I don't really care, as long as he doesn't lose sight of his tennis over this shtuff. :cool:

Golfnduck
12-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Well, he is going to make some more endorsement money. I guess he's trying to publicize American tennis everywhere, don't think this is the way though.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 10:23 PM
*arches eyebrows* somehow I don't think he signed a fragrance deal to publicize tennis... for some reason I bet it's the multi 6-figure a year endorsement fee lol But that's ok, it's not like he doesn't do a million other things for tennis.

I think the cologne should be called Ace ;) :p

or how about "Quack"

andyroxmysox12191
12-15-2004, 10:49 PM
how about...Duck? Not like our duck duck (it can be used for that though) but like "DUCK! THE ACE IS COMING!"

yeah that was corny....

MisterQ
12-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Eau de Canard

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 12:42 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Iheartandy&roger
12-16-2004, 01:14 AM
lmfao gotta love that one!

Leena
12-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Andy Roddick's latest off-court success may smell like Paris Hilton and Maria Sharapova.

That can be miscontrued so easily. Ack. Eww.

Anyway, good for Andy. Whore yourself for the cash while you can. :)

Leena
12-16-2004, 01:33 AM
And I'd go with the name, "Duck soup".