uh, Andy fired Brad. And Hired Dean! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

uh, Andy fired Brad. And Hired Dean!

Deboogle!.
12-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Well some of us thought something might be up.....whoa. (remember I was the one who harped on it when he didn't go to Thailand and just stopped traveling as much?)

oh I hope it's Courier I hope it's Courier
------------------

Roddick sacks Gilbert
By Leo Schlink
December 13, 2004

ANDY Roddick has ended his 18-month partnership with coach Brad Gilbert.

The world No. 2 and US Open winner won 121 of 147 matches and nine titles under Gilbert, but has decided it is time for a change.

No reason has been given for the split, which comes just two weeks after Gilbert was strongly criticised by Mike Agassi, father of Andre Agassi, another former Gilbert charge.

Roddick sacked his previous coach Tarik Benhabiles after an opening-round loss to Armenian Sargis Sargsian at the French Open last year.

Gilbert, who parted from Agassi the previous season, immediately revived the young American's stocks with a typically heady game plan and improved concentration.

The author of the aptly titled Winning Ugly, Gilbert guided Roddick to the No. 1 mark last year and helped the 22-year-old to titles at Miami, Queen's Club, San Jose and Indianapolis this season.

Gilbert's departure will trigger a clamour for the unexpectedly vacant position, and Gilbert is unlikely to remain on the sidelines for long either.

Roddick had appeared unusually quiet during the US's 3-2 Davis Cup final defeat to Spain in Seville this month.

It is understood he was mulling over the decision.

Former world No. 1 Jim Courier's name has already been linked to Roddick.

Mike Agassi recently touched on Gilbert's gregarious nature.

"You can shut the Grand Canyon, but you can't shut Brad Gilbert's mouth," he said.

Herald Sun

Jennay
12-12-2004, 03:32 PM
:eek:

roisin
12-12-2004, 03:45 PM
as i said in gm, thats just shocking. :eek:

Deboogle!.
12-12-2004, 03:48 PM
I can only imagine how furious Brad is... he said so many times he only wanted a long-term coaching position and stuff like that. Oh well, I hope they didn't part on bad terms or anything and just that Andy realized he needed a change, which is hard to disagree with. Brad did a lot of great tihngs with him and hopefully Andy will keep those all with him and that he'll find someone who can really help him break over all the humps he didn't get over in 2004 - mentally and technically.

PinkFeatherBoa
12-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Quite surprising, I also hope they parted on good terms and that when Andy's new coach he grows even more tough- mentally and technically- and his new coach is even better for his game.

Courier would make a nice coach in my opinion.

roisin
12-12-2004, 03:56 PM
oooh and clay. i mean, andys not particualry bad on clay but if he had someone like courier he could expand and really become a threat on all surfaces.

superpinkone37
12-12-2004, 03:58 PM
oh. my. god. :eek: :eek: :eek:

wow, we had been talking about this back during thalinad, but i never really thought it would happen this year. wow. im not saying its a bad thing, even though i did like gilbert for some reason, im just really surprised

Deboogle!.
12-12-2004, 04:01 PM
I know, Danielle, that's kinda exactly how I feel - like even though some of us thought something was odd/off, I didn't think he was gonna fire him! and just what, like 4 or 5 days ago Brad posted on his site about DC and starting up with Andy so this must've been really recent. I liked BG b/c he did a lot for Andy and seemed to truly care. But if Andy himself, once again, realized he needed a change and that something wasn't right, good for him. I just hope that he already has another plan in motion - whether it's with Jim or someone else good, so that the off-season is not wasted, he has a lot to work on for Australia where I really think he has a good shot to go way deep.

With his charity thing this weekend I hope more news comes out about it - it's odd that one Australian paper is like the ONLY place that has it - not that Leo Schlink is not trustworthy but it's just a lil odd and he doesn't say where he got the news from either.

superpinkone37
12-12-2004, 04:05 PM
well, ill be gone all day, so talk to ya all later. i have to go out and test the santa ana river for my science fair project from the mountains to the ocean, so i will be a while lol. im just really surprised about this whole thing....

Deboogle!.
12-12-2004, 04:06 PM
have a great day :) I'll be gone all day too, studying and taking practice exams. Hopefully more news will have surfaced by the time we return later ;)

Natasc
12-12-2004, 04:08 PM
WOW :eek:

That's realy shocking!!
For me Brad was doing such a great job with Andy, but will be realy good see Andy good in all the surfaces!! (even on clay)

But I'm still surprise with that new

k-rod83
12-12-2004, 04:26 PM
hmmm
i heard from a friend in the states that gilbert has been unhappy with the lifestyle andy has been living the past few months and that he doesnt think andy is dedicated enough....im kinda shocked that andy would do this i mean gilbert is a great coach and i dont think there are many of that calibre...i would like andy to work with lundgren..federers old coach...might give him some tips....it wont be long till hes had enough with safin.

snaillyyy
12-12-2004, 04:33 PM
WOW :eek: I guess something has seemed a little off with them lately but this does surprise me! Brad might not have been one of my favorites but he did alot of good things for Andy. Now my curiosity really kicks into high gear about what happens next :p

Have fun day Danielle! I would say have fun Deb but doesnt seem quite right ;) :p but good luck!!!!!!!!!!! :hug:

Natasc
12-12-2004, 04:44 PM
hmmm
i heard from a friend in the states that gilbert has been unhappy with the lifestyle andy has been living the past few months and that he doesnt think andy is dedicated enough....im kinda shocked that andy would do this i mean gilbert is a great coach and i dont think there are many of that calibre...i would like andy to work with lundgren..federers old coach...might give him some tips....it wont be long till hes had enough with safin.

Yeah, Peter did amazings things with Federer and Marat
Federer mnow is number thanks to Peter
Marat make a AMAZING return to the top 5 thanks to Peter too

I would like to see Andy with Peter :)
But Brad was amazing too

Neely
12-12-2004, 05:06 PM
unbelievable, come out of nowhere! :eek:

avocadoe
12-12-2004, 05:38 PM
that is big news, woke me up :) will be interesting to know more when its available. Courier would be my pick over lungren, for several reasons, one I want Peter to stay with Marat, and two I think Courier's way of making the most of what he's got fits more with Andy's game. I think Courier is liking Andy's developing net game, too.

Natasc
12-12-2004, 05:46 PM
that is big news, woke me up :) will be interesting to know more when its available. Courier would be my pick over lungren, for several reasons, one I want Peter to stay with Marat, and two I think Courier's way of making the most of what he's got fits more with Andy's game. I think Courier is liking Andy's developing net game, too.

I also agree that Pete should stay with Marat, hios been doing a amazing work with Marat :worship:

ataptc
12-12-2004, 05:47 PM
:eek:

though brad did a lot for andy, I thought Andy needed a change.. I agree Jim would be the right coach for all those reasons :yeah: :)

Golfnduck
12-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm so shocked by this. I still won't believe that it is completely true until I hear something from Andy. I think Brad did great things for Andy and 18 months is barely enough time to see changes in your game techinically. And what is with these players firing coaches left and right. But, Courier would be good for Andy.

Black Adam
12-12-2004, 06:14 PM
i agree i searched internet and tghe only article that says this is an australian gossip paper that also brought up the Andy-Paris Hilton gossip so i will not beleive it till his website says somethin about it. also if its true..... i really hope courier will be there for andy coz he is likely to succeed pMac as dc captain and i do not want to think of andy without a coach :sad:

Golfnduck
12-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Well......still no news from a credible source. I'm starting to think that these rumors aren't true.

star
12-12-2004, 07:16 PM

Hey there!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

What a freaking relief for me. One of the reasons I first started liking Andy was because of Tarik. I think Brad did some really good things with Andy, but I have never ever liked Gilbert. He disgusted me when he was a player and I his non-stop mouth and self promotion as a coach didn't help matters any. It will be nice to be able to follow Andy now without Brad in tow.

I love Jim, of course, but Jim was an incredible work horse whose off season workouts were legendary. I don't know if Andy's happy-go-lucky ways will suit Courrier.

rue
12-12-2004, 07:24 PM
What a surprise is the only thing I can really say. Something wrong must have happened or had been happening and Andy just was not happy.

snaillyyy
12-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Reports: Roddick Fires Gilbert

Photo By Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
12/12/2004

Andy Roddick may start the new year with a new coach. The 2003 U.S. Open champion reportedly fired coach Brad Gilbert Saturday morning in a move that shocked Gilbert, according to a pair of published reports today.

Neither Roddick’s official web site Andy Roddick.com, which is typically updated almost every day, nor Gilbert’s official web site, Brad Gilbert Tennis.com have any information regarding the split.

Tennis Week has left a message for Gilbert and is currently trying to contact Roddick through his agents at SFX to confirm if the reports are true. Tennis Week will post immediate updates once it has received comment from Gilbert or Roddick.

Citing an unnamed source, The Houston Chronicle’s Dale Robertson reports in his tennis column published today that Roddick has fired Gilbert.

"A source who had spoken with Gilbert said the popular former touring pro was fired as Roddick's coach Saturday," writes Robertson. "The source said Gilbert ‘was stunned. Andy's decision took him completely by surprise.’ "

Veteran Australian tennis writer Leo Schlink reported the firing today as well on Australia’s Fox Sports web site.

If the reports are true, it is clear Gilbert did not see his dismissal coming. In a post on his web site dated December 7th, Gilbert is already looking ahead to the 2005 season working with Roddick, writing: "We will pick things back up after Christmas: Memo to the tennis gods: How about a 9 ½ month season."

The 43-year-old Gilbert coached Roddick for 18 months. Roddick won the U.S. Open and finished the 2003 season as the year-end No. 1 under Gilbert’s guidance. Though he did not win a major this year, Roddick advanced to the Wimbledon final and held a lead before falling to defending-champion Roger Federer. Roddick won four tournament titles and finished the 2004 season ranked second.

Golfnduck
12-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Hmmmm....starting to look like Andy did fire Brad, but I would still like to hear from Andy or Brad.

star
12-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Robertson is a seasoned reporter. He might have the story right.

Yeah. It was clear from the last thing Brad posted that he didn't see the split coming.

What does Andy want? I'm not really happy with two changes in coaches in a short time, but please please please let it be true that Brad is a gonner. (this is pure selfishness on my part, I admit.

MisterQ
12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I think Brad did great things for Andy and 18 months is barely enough time to see changes in your game techinically.

This is an over-simplification perhaps: but my impression is that Brad's best coaching has to do with strategy and mentality. That's the area where Brad really helped Andre, whose strokes were already nearly perfect when he started working with him. Brad was not the greatest player in terms of technical stroke production, and is probably not the best teacher of that either. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "technically," or if you meant it more broadly. But I think there are other coaches who could help Andy more with his volleys, groundstrokes, transition game, etc.

star
12-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Ditto.

Wasn't that the reason everyone thought the Andre/Brad pairing was brilliant? Because Andre (at that time) had the reputation of being a brilliant shot maker but basically an airhead on the court.

superpinkone37
12-12-2004, 09:06 PM
even though we had been wondering stuff back aroud thailand and stuff, i never really believed it. seriously i was sooo surprised to read about this today. but im not gonna start making assumptions or anything till we get some more news.

alrighty, im off to chase the rest of the santa ana river lol

andyroxmysox12191
12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
*stumbles over words* :eek: I knew it was gonna happen, but wow... When Deb asked me if Brad was at DC, I felt a bit weird and yeah all that stuff.
Wow...just wow.
If the "rumors" are true, I do hope Jim is gonna be his coach...

RodFan08
12-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Wow :eek: Totally out of the blue. Courier would probably be a good choice.

J. Corwin
12-12-2004, 10:20 PM
I went to WTAWorld when I got up and saw this and thought it was all a joke, so I came here....and yea. wow. I hope Andy's not planning to go coachless for a season or a half.

Golfnduck
12-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Brad was not the greatest player in terms of technical stroke production, and is probably not the best teacher of that either. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "technically," or if you meant it more broadly. But I think there are other coaches who could help Andy more with his volleys, groundstrokes, transition game, etc.
I was talking pretty broadly. He has helped with Andy's backhand and volley, but not to the extent that it would be a strong asset to his game. I think Courier would be good for Andy, but this change seems to be fairly quick.

Whatup86
12-12-2004, 10:54 PM
This is news to me. I just got back from a loooong weekend and I was getting sleepy before I came here and when I read the tread it sure did wake me up,LOL. If it is true (more than likley is) I hope he and the right coach get together.

snaillyyy
12-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Roddick charts new career direction
By Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent
The London Times

“WHEN the moment comes that we have serious business to do, I not only feel completely comfortable; I completely believe in what Brad tells me. That’s genius coaching — simple and complicated at the same time.”

That was Andy Roddick talking about Brad Gilbert, his coach, seven months ago. Yesterday, mulling over his indifferent end to the year when his game had lost much of its sense of direction, Roddick decided that he and Gilbert should part company — the second time in 18 months that the American, 22, has chosen to move in a different coaching direction.

No official reason has been given for the unexpected split and it is not as though the pair did not get along. On the tour they seemed more like elder and younger brother than coach and protégé. But perhaps spending so much time in each other’s company — given Gilbert’s verbose manner, even Roddick may not have been able to get many words in — put a strain on their relationship and the younger man needed more of his own space.

Roddick has dropped only one spot in the 12 months from the end of 2003, from No 1 to No 2, but that fall must seem enormous given the gap between Roger Federer and everyone else in the game. In their three matches this year, Roddick managed one set, a sequence that extended their head-to-head record to 8-1 in favour of the Swiss.

It is not as if Gilbert does not leave with an impressive CV. In their time together after Roddick dispensed in May 2003 with Tarik Benhabiles, the Frenchman who had taken him from being the world’s leading junior to a place inside the world’s top ten, there were 121 victories from 147 matches and nine singles titles, including the Stella Artois at Queen’s Club in their first tournament together and last year’s US Open, his one grand- slam title.
Gilbert had come with a ringing endorsement from Andre Agassi, whom he had coached for eight years. Intriguingly, Agassi wrote in a foreword to I’ve Got Your Back, a book Gilbert penned this year: “For BG, there was never a short cut to success. When you stepped on to the court, you had to believe in yourself, based on your homework and preparation. What Brad helped me with the most was the ability to believe in myself by learning to think for myself. A great coach can lead you to a place where you don’t need him any more.”
That may be Roddick’s thinking in a nutshell. He has seen at closer hand than most what Federer has achieved without a coach — although the world No 1 has not yet given up all hope of persuading Tony Roche, the Australian who guided Ivan Lendl and Pat Rafter to grand-slam successes, to come out of retirement and work with him. Roche initially turned down the invitation because of the travelling involved, but a part-time relationship is thought to be a possibility.
Roddick has to look elsewhere. Jim Courier, a former world No 1 and twice a French and Australian Open champion — two events in which Roddick has failed to shine — has been mooted as a possible replacement for Gilbert, though he has no coaching pedigree to speak of. Darren Cahill, another Australian, would be top of the list, but he intends to stay loyal to Agassi until the 34-year-old finally runs out of steam or interest. Like Gilbert, Cahill has taken an experienced player (Agassi) and a youngster — in his case, Lleyton Hewitt — to the world No 1 ranking and grand-slam successes.

DRIVING WITH THE COACH

The Gilbert gospel

“If it was four in the morning and my guy called and said: ‘I need you to come over’, I wouldn’t ask what it was about. If it’s important enough for him to call me at that hour, it’s important enough for me to go. And whatever the situation was, we would figure it out.”

The Gilbert effect

Mike Agassi, Andre’s father: “You can shut the Grand Canyon, but you can’t shut Brad Gilbert’s mouth.”
Andy Roddick: “Brad — I don’t win matches on grass.” He won his next ten grass court matches in a row, including the Queen’s title and reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon.

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the article Carole. Looks like they actually split. Unexpected, shocking, I'm not sure how to explain this. I hope Andy starts working with Courier and soon.

schwitz5661
12-13-2004, 12:37 AM
:eek: I was really surprised when I heard this.
At first I thought it was just a rumor, but now it looks like they really did split up.

I also think that Andy should work with Courier.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 01:10 AM
I mean, Andy's charity event was today. he was out in public. SOMEONE had to have asked him about this.

Star, I see what you mean, but I would hope that the thing is reverse - that if he were to join up with Jim, that he would be doing so because HE WANTED to do all that hard work, not the reverse of Jim having a hard time with Andy not doing it. Am I making sense?

This is the part directly from the Chronicle that Tennis Week had mentioned:
----------------------

Source: Roddick has fired coach
In 2003, Andy Roddick's celebrated partnership with Brad Gilbert — forged after the then 20-year-old American's early flameout at the French Open — led him to the U.S. Open championship and the year-end No. 1 ranking.

In the process, Roddick and Gilbert, who previously had helped Andre Agassi climb back to the top of the rankings, became close friends.

In 2004, however, Roddick won none of the Slams and he fell to a distant No. 2 behind Roger Federer.

Now, it appears Gilbert has fallen victim to Roddick's frustration. A source who had spoken with Gilbert said the popular former touring pro was fired as Roddick's coach Saturday. The source said Gilbert "was stunned. Andy's decision took him completely by surprise."

Roddick was in Boca Raton, Fla., for his charity-foundation tennis event, which Gilbert hadn't attended. Neither could be reached for comment.

Iheartandy&roger
12-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Well if Andy feels he needs a change let him go I just hope it's a good choice the last thing I want to see is Andy go down.

star
12-13-2004, 02:22 AM
ohmygosh! Brad is the new Lleyton! :eek:

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 02:23 AM
:confused: I don't get it lol

star
12-13-2004, 02:26 AM
it's not funny if it has to be explained.

Lleyton was dumped by phone and was "stunned" and "gutted"

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 02:27 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL Yes it was still funny ;) I just didn't know in which way you were comparing them. Got it, very funny :yeah:

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 03:38 AM
well :ras: forgive me if my brain is elsewhere... like trying to learn how to figure out the difference between vested and contingent remainders for my exam tomorrow eeeeeeeeek

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 03:49 AM
aw I'm so proud!

superpinkone37
12-13-2004, 03:53 AM
im just waiting to here from one of them for their side of what happened. im surprised that with andy doing his charity thing it hasnt been brought up. though maybe that was how the whole thing surfaced to begin with, i dunno. we will just have to wait and see what happens.

wow amanda, congrats on somehow staying off msn for a whole day, that is quite an accomlishment (:

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 03:57 AM
Well we know there were at least photographers at the event today. Maybe the local S. Florida papers were there too, in which case there might be articles in those papers about it (if they knew about it before the event today and asked about it - I doubt Andy would offer up the info, though, without being asked). I'm pretty sure the papers there covered it last year, but that doesn't mean they will this year I guess lol

Not that I think he acted rashly or stupidly, but I hope he really really thought about it and sought some advice. I know when he got rid of Tarik it was a little more sudden and he didn't really talk to many people but if it's true that he was thinking about it for a few weeks, I hope he talked to people like PMac, Doug, etc. etc. before he made the decision. I just hope it all works out for the best for him.

superpinkone37
12-13-2004, 04:01 AM
yeah, exactly. i mean we know he can obviously make those important choices for himself, and hopefully this was a case where he did put a lot of thought and time into making this decision.

gogo_guga
12-13-2004, 04:09 AM
Shocking but this might just bring Andy back to his humble self (Before Gilbert Era)

star
12-13-2004, 04:20 AM
Well we know there were at least photographers at the event today. Maybe the local S. Florida papers were there too, in which case there might be articles in those papers about it (if they knew about it before the event today and asked about it - I doubt Andy would offer up the info, though, without being asked). I'm pretty sure the papers there covered it last year, but that doesn't mean they will this year I guess lol

Not that I think he acted rashly or stupidly, but I hope he really really thought about it and sought some advice. I know when he got rid of Tarik it was a little more sudden and he didn't really talk to many people but if it's true that he was thinking about it for a few weeks, I hope he talked to people like PMac, Doug, etc. etc. before he made the decision. I just hope it all works out for the best for him.

I'm sure he talked to his parents before he made the decision.

mitalidas
12-13-2004, 04:52 AM
I'm sure he talked to his parents before he made the decision.

and lets hope he talked to brad before announcing to the world

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 04:55 AM

two things to say to that...

some people might not think so, but I think Andy has more class than that, especially considering what he did when he split from Tarik, taking a train to Paris to meet with him, etc.

secondly, the "sources" that these articles are citing are those that have come through Brad. As far as I know, they've all said Andy has not said anything and has been unavailable for comment.

star
12-13-2004, 05:26 AM

I didn't see where Andy had announced it to the world.

Carito_90
12-13-2004, 09:52 AM
wow... I guess that's all I can say.

avocadoe
12-13-2004, 01:42 PM
hi, star, lol, brad the new lleyton...wonder who he'll take up with next...i'd like him to go with Venus or both Venus and Serena. I'm no fan of Brads. I think Andy must have someone in mind though. I don't think he'll follow in Federer's footsteps, but maybe for a while. Can't wait to hear the whole story. Hope it isn't hush/hush like Lleyton/Kim :)

star
12-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Yeah! what fun would that be?

Brad's mouth would have to get on Venus' nerves, don't you think? But, I think he might instill some confidence in her game. But, that's not going to happen. Venus isn't going to ask for help from anyone but Richard.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 03:21 PM
This just showed up on Brad's site - I hope he's not trying to suggest that Andy fired him because he doesn't think he has a lot of work left to do... that would be.... dumb.

12.13.2004 - "Recently, Andy Roddick informed me that he has decided to continue his career without my services. I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy. He has been a great student of the game during the time that we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. While I believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way. I wish Andy all of the best and will be rooting for him." - Brad Gilbert

star
12-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I hope that means only that Andy doesn't think they need to work on those things together.

If it means Andy wants to relax and have a good time, I will be severely disappointed.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
I hope that means only that Andy doesn't think they need to work on those things together.

If it means Andy wants to relax and have a good time, I will be severely disappointed.

yes, I second that whole-heartedly :) I guess we will find out soon enough when things start falling into place...

Socket
12-13-2004, 03:47 PM
it's not funny if it has to be explained.

Lleyton was dumped by phone and was "stunned" and "gutted"
You forgot "devastated." And does this mean that Brad will be buying himself a new Ferrari? ;)

Socket
12-13-2004, 03:49 PM
well :ras: forgive me if my brain is elsewhere... like trying to learn how to figure out the difference between vested and contingent remainders for my exam tomorrow eeeeeeeeek
Phew, those are easy, you can do it! Do you have to know the rule against perpetuities? Now that's hard!

star
12-13-2004, 03:51 PM
If Brad gets a ferrari, it will be black for sure. :)

Vested and contingent remainders are a snap. *click*
I used to understand the RAP, but it's a slippery dude and now I've forgotten it entirely. :lol:

Socket
12-13-2004, 03:55 PM
If Brad gets a ferrari, it will be black for sure. :)

Vested and contingent remainders are a snap. *click*
I used to understand the RAP, but it's a slippery dude and now I've forgotten it entirely. :lol:
Don't worry, it never comes up in RL. :)

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 04:53 PM
This just showed up on Brad's site - I hope he's not trying to suggest that Andy fired him because he doesn't think he has a lot of work left to do... that would be.... dumb.

12.13.2004 - "Recently, Andy Roddick informed me that he has decided to continue his career without my services. I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy. He has been a great student of the game during the time that we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. While I believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way. I wish Andy all of the best and will be rooting for him." - Brad Gilbert
Well, I hope that Andy has found a coach that will help improve his game all-around. We all know that Andy's game hit a wall and he should have won some close matches. Hopefully this next coach will help him do that.

snaillyyy
12-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Hmmmm interesting....It has already been said, but I hope Andy meant that he feels a change is needed in order for progress and not that he thinks his game is where it needs to be. Guess we wait and see.

Whistleway
12-13-2004, 05:38 PM
No specific reason was given for the surprising split in a statement Roddick released Monday through SFX Sports Group.

"The decision to not rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time," Roddick said. "Any more on this situation is a private matter between coach and player. That being said, I enjoyed my time with Brad and wish him continued success in his future."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-ten-roddick-gilbert-fired,1,110620,print.story

tangerine_dream
12-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi guys :wavey:

I'm taking an MTF sabbatical so I won't around here as much for a while, in case anyone was wondering. ;)

But I'm crawling out of my hole to comment about Andy firing Brad: is anyone else dancing in the street with this news? (besides star?) After I got over the shock, I couldn't help but be thrilled. Although Andy has improved a lot this year, he also seems to have hit a wall and plateaued. Losing to the likes of Pim-Pim and Gonzo? C'mon, that should not have happened. He really shouldn't have lost to Hewitt, either. He's had too many stupid, inexplicable losses this year for one ranked so high. What exactly what Brad coaching Andy on?

Brad was great for Andy in their first year when Andy needed help in mental department, but Brad is not a technical coach and I think a technical coach is exactly what Andy needs right now. Brad can't help him there. He is also useless in getting Andy to play and win on clay. Although Brad says that there is still a lot of work to be done, I am glad that it won't be done with him. He has nothing more to offer Andy.

I also believe that an unlikeable, smug, annoying, blabber-mouth, toot-my-own-horn coach like Gilbert reflects badly on Andy. Andy's been way too moody, snippy, and impatient during his matches this year. Too many arguments. Too many emotional meltdowns. Is he even having any fun out there anymore? I was watching his 2002 USO match with Sampras the other day and even though Pete crushed Andy in that match, Andy still looked like he was having fun. The only time I saw Andy smiling and having fun this year was during Davis Cup.

Anyway, I think firing Brad is a great move on Andy's part and I'm very curious to see who he picks as his next coach.

Bye Brad. It's been real. :bigwave:

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Tangy, I totally agree with you. I hope that Andy will find a coach to help him techincally. Maybe Andy got tired of Brad running his mouth all the time. It would annoy the hell out of me.

k-rod83
12-13-2004, 08:19 PM
lets just hope that the next coach can stick around......andy needs to realise that when things dont go to plan he cant just sack everyone...he needs to get his ass in gear and work for it

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 08:24 PM
yea, maybe so, k-rod but as Andy said in that statement, there are things that obviously happened beyond him just being displeased. We can't presume to know everything that happened. But yeah, the news is now out, everywhere. Tangy, I'm not dancing in the streets about it because as much as I don't love Brad and as much as I questioned some of what they did together with Andy's game, Andy's results were bottom-line way improved with Brad. But yea there were problems there and I hope Andy picks a new good coach whom he can be with for many many years to come and I hope it works out for the best.

My property exam was so effing hard, what a joke!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, socket, we had to know RAP and it was a big part of one of the essays, but that part was actually not too bad and I understand RAP completely. It was the rest of the exam that was hiiiiiiilariously hard. but everyone thought so, not just me.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Roddick, Gilbert Issue Statements On Firing

By Richard Pagliaro
12/14/2004

When Andy Roddick and Brad Gilbert celebrated Roddick's first Masters Series title with a combined sky dive last August, their future flight of success seemed expansive. Now the second-ranked Roddick will leap into the 2005 season without Gilbert by his side after cutting the connective cord on his coach of 18 months.

When it comes to devising strategy for specific players, Gilbert, who formerly coached Andre Agassi, is widely regarded as one of tennis' leading minds. But the coach with a penchant for dressing in the silver-and-black of his beloved Oakland Raiders was clearly blindsided by Roddick's decision to dismiss him as coach on Saturday.

In a statement posted today (Monday) on his web site, Brad Gilbert Tennis.com, Gilbert suggested player and coach were no longer on the same page when it came to Roddick's future. The complete statement from Brad Gilbert is reprinted here:

"Recently, Andy Roddick informed that he has decided to continue his career without my services," Gilbert said in the statement. "I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy. He has been a great student of the game during the time we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. While I clearly believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way. I wish Andy all of the best and will be rooting for him."

Roddick did not give specific details behind the decision to dismiss Gilbert in a statement he issued through his management company, SFX Sports.

"The decision to not rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time," Roddick said in a statement. "Any more on this situation is a private matter between coach and player. That being said, I enjoyed my time with Brad and wish him continued success in his future."

Exactly what created the rift remains unclear at this point. Rumors are circulating that Roddick's family was not exactly enamored of Gilbert's vocal coaching style and were not satisfied with the progress the second-ranked Roddick was showing on the court, though Roddick finished the year only one spot lower than last year and had shown a willingness to take advantage of his seismic serve by attacking the net more frequently. Roddick's parents — Jerry and Blanche — have been extremely supportive of their son since his junior days. His older brother John Roddick, a former All-American at the University of Georgia and current coach of the New York Sportimes WTT franchise who also runs a tennis academy in Texas, has been a strong influence throughout Andy's career as well. In fact, Roddick cited the desire to live closer to his brother as one of the reasons he moved from Boca Raton back to Austin, Texas earlier this year.

The Roddick family is a tight-knit group and there is speculation that the family will now play a greater role in his career with his brother or father possibly traveling with him on the road. Rumors also persist Roddick may be interested in former No. 1 Jim Courier as a potential successor to Gilbert though Roddick's management company would not confirm if Courier was a candidate for the coaching vacancy. Roddick's close friend and Davis Cup teammate, Mardy Fish, hired the recently-retired Todd Martin as his new coach, replacing Kelly Jones.

The 34-year-old Courier, who worked with Roddick during his tenure as coach of the U.S. Davis Cup team, shares stylistic similarities with Roddick. Both are intense, physical players whose games are based around the serve and forehand. Both men faced formidable rivals with imposing all-court styles — Courier compiled a 4-16 career record against 14-time Grand Slam champion Pete Sampras; Roddick has registered a 1-8 record against top-ranked Roger Federer, winning just one set against the Swiss stylist in their last four meetings.

In the 18 months Gilbert and Roddick worked together, the pair produced a highly successful partnership. Roddick registered a 121-26 record and won nine tournament titles under Gilbert's guidance, including his first Grand Slam at the 2003 U.S. Open. Roddick completed the 2003 campaign as the year-end No. 1.

Though he did not win a major this year, Roddick captured four championships, compiled a 74-18 record and advanced to the Wimbledon final where he held a one-set lead before succumbing to defending champion Federer, 6-4, 5-7, 6-7(3), 4-6.

At the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston, a weary-looking Roddick was humbled by Lleyton Hewitt in straight sets, surrendering 20 straight points to close out that contest. It was an uncharacteristic loss for Roddick, who has established a reputation as a fighter who seldom goes down so meekly. The first signs of potential discord appeared a week later when Gilbert did not accompany Roddick to the Davis Cup final in Seville, Spain earlier this month.

Though Gilbert is respected as a master motivator and tactician, some critics — including Andre Agassi's father, Mike Agassi — have questioned his skill in refining stroke technique and implementing stylistic improvements to his players' games.

"I admit that (Andre's) signing on with Brad was a good idea. I swear the guy has a photographic memory," said Mike Agassi, who has also been critical of his son's other coaches, Nick Bollettieri and Darren Cahill. "When it comes to scouting other players, Brad's the man. He did a good job preparing Andre for his opponents...Sure, a coach will scout other players for you, but couldn't you go watch them yourself? And in the end, how much can a coach really be trusted? Your coach is not your family. He's there to make a living."

The 22-year-old Roddick is a hard worker, diligently dedicated to refining his game. But toward the end of this year, Roddick had shown small signs of regression in his court positioning — sometimes drifting too far behind the baseline to return serve and during rallies and resorting to the grinding style he played as a junior — and temperament. Roddick, who has been a fierce competitor throughout his career, was more prone to letting line calls bother him, occassionally causing a cranky on-court demeanor as he did during his 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 2-6, 6-4 quarterfinal loss to Sweden's Joachim Johansson in the U.S. Open quarterfinals. It would be unfair to blame Gilbert for either development, particularly since Roddick was rarely critical of his coach publicly.

In fact, Roddick has been resoundingly supportive of Gilbert throughout their time together and the pair seemed to enjoy a solid friendship. They had endured many experiences together on and off the court, including escaping a fatal fire in a Rome hotel last May as Roddick rescued several guests from the blaze.

"So much more goes into a player-coach relationship than just strategy," Roddick said in a comment quoted on the back of Gilbert's new book, I've Got Your Back. "We eat together, we hang out, we have a blast. When the moment comes that we have serious business to do, I not only feel completely comfortable, I completely believe in what Brad tells me. That's genius coaching — simple and complicated at the same time."

It may be that Roddick, who grew up looking up to Agassi and now enjoys a friendship with the eight-time Grand Slam champion, like Agassi before him simply felt he had gained all that he could from Gilbert and that it was time to move on. It's conceivable Roddick is seeking to make changes to his game he felt required a new coach, that he already had a new coach in mind before parting company with Gilbert, that he wants his family to play a greater role in his career or that he simply needed to hear a fresh voice.

Aside from the brief statements they've offered the principles are sharing a public stance of silence on the reasons behind the split.

The 43-year-old Gilbert has not responded to Tennis Week's repeated requests for an interview. SFX Sports has also declined Tennis Week's request for comment.

tangerine_dream
12-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Maybe "dancing in the street" is the wrong way to put it, but I am pleased to see that Andy recognizes that Brad cannot do much for him anymore. In 2003, he was exactly what Andy needed at that point and they made a great team. But now he needs to improve some of his techniques and Gilbert cannot offer Andy that. Maybe others saw this firing coming (star? jace? somebody called it a while back :worship: ) but I didn't think anything was really off until the USO and even then, I didn't think Andy would dump Brad so soon. Watching him at the Olympics, at USO, even at tournaments that he won like RCA, his game seemed stale to me. His body language; his whole demeanor at TMC was awful. He has made some improvements, but he's still not consistent with them (volleying brilliant one day; then the next day he volleys like crap). I hope he finds a coach who can really work with him to become an allcourt player.

Gilbert and Fish. Hmm. I wonder if Mardy is wondering if he should've waited a bit to grab Gilbert before going with Martin?

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 09:54 PM
I don't think Mardy and Brad would get along. Mardy needs someone to whip his ass into gear, even worse than Andy. Brad is too buddy-buddy for Mardy, that was Mardy's problem with Kelly. I just don't see that working, I think he and Todd will do well.

zoltan83
12-13-2004, 10:27 PM
:eek: wow kinda surprised when I saw the news..It's the first news I saw today. I was asking If I read properly...

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Well....now we just have to see who the new coach is going to be.

star
12-13-2004, 10:43 PM
lets just hope that the next coach can stick around......andy needs to realise that when things dont go to plan he cant just sack everyone...he needs to get his ass in gear and work for it

He absolutely needs to start working off the court much harder. He needs to take a page out of Navratilova's book. Remember when she was so pudgy and doughy? She went on a program of diet and exercise that she didn't alter for anything and it paid off. Andy hasn't shown the dedication to sticking with any program at all. And now he wants to have weeks of fun with his buddies rolling around on a bus and eating and drinking god knows what. IMO Mardy and the rolypoly bryan bros aren't the kind of guys he needs to be hanging out with. But, hell, it's his life.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 10:47 PM
LOL... star, it's 4 days of charity stuff and they're doing the bus thing, it's not weeks. But I agree with what you're saying. He's basically in good shape and he obviously does do work off court with his running in Austin and whatnot, but he needs an actual PLAN so that he can stick to it.

star
12-13-2004, 10:51 PM
LOL... Debstah, he's hanging out with his buddies and drinking beer and eating pizza.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 10:55 PM
well yea, maybe he will be. Thusfar he couldn't really have had time to. He came back from Spain then did Vahaly's charity event then did his own, plus he had all the issues with deciding to fire Brad and he was in FL where I don't think it's as much of a problem as when he's in Austin. Maybe now he's back in Austin and is flubbing around being a bum. I'm not there with him (hmmph that's not fair that I'm not there ;)) so I can't tell ya what he's doing :p I guess we can't possibly know til January and we see whether he looks like a chub again or not :shrug: :) I'll let him be innocent til he proves himself to be guilty. Chances are he will, but I can always hold out hope that the fact that he fired Brad means he wants to make changes. He said many times over the last few months that he knows he needs to be in better shape and be a better athlete. If that's all lip service and he's just going home and bumming for a couple weeks then that's just really stupid. I hope he's not that stupid. I hope he realizes that he's really entering the prime years of his career and that they go by fleetingly fast.

star
12-13-2004, 10:58 PM
He's said that before. :rolleyes:

We'll have to wait and see if he has the flubby tubby tummy in January. I've got five bucks that says he will.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 11:01 PM
*sigh* yeah I know :( I guess I'm just hoping that the fact that he fired Brad is a sign that he's recognized he really has to make changes. He really did look better physically at TMC and DC, so yeah, we'll just have to wait and see.

luckily I'm not a better by nature :)

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 11:46 PM
AR.com finally joined the party

Andy and Brad Gilbert Part Ways
By Staff
2004-12-13
Breaking news was released today by Andy regarding his coaching relationship with Brad Gilbert. Some rumors had been circulating recently of a change in personnel at Team Roddick, and today it was officially announced that Andy and Brad would, indeed be going separate ways.

The announcement was made today by Andy’s short statement. “The decision to not rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time. Any more on this situation is a private matter between coach and player. That being said, I enjoyed my time with Brad and wish him continued success in his future.”

Andy has been very busy with his super successful charity weekend (expect a full report soon) but ar.com will be speaking with Andy soon.

There is one auction item still available for purchase from the charity weekend; a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Look for the link to the ebay auction right on this page.

Good luck to Andy and Brad.

Havok
12-14-2004, 12:29 AM
I hope Andy comes into the new season with chub.:devil: Wanna see what kind of catastrophe will arise here.:lol:

Havok
12-14-2004, 12:35 AM
He absolutely needs to start working off the court much harder. He needs to take a page out of Navratilova's book. Remember when she was so pudgy and doughy? She went on a program of diet and exercise that she didn't alter for anything and it paid off. Andy hasn't shown the dedication to sticking with any program at all. And now he wants to have weeks of fun with his buddies rolling around on a bus and eating and drinking god knows what. IMO Mardy and the rolypoly bryan bros aren't the kind of guys he needs to be hanging out with. But, hell, it's his life.
Exactly, it's his life.

superpinkone37
12-14-2004, 12:57 AM
thanks for the articles and comments everyone :) its interesting to have an idea of what everyyone thinks about all of this, most of which i agree with.

Éowyn
12-14-2004, 01:45 AM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i go away for the weekend get back online and see my emails swamped with news of andy sacking brad!

idiot andy idiot! i'm sure he has his reasons but ack! brad has helped him so much be interesting to see who he goes for now,

Éowyn
12-14-2004, 02:36 AM
bbc pretty much just says the same as the rest!

Roddick splits from coach Gilbert

Andy Roddick has ended an 18-month association with coach Brad Gilbert which yielded the US Open title and saw the American become world number one.

Roddick released a statement through the SFX Sportys Group with the news but did not give a reason for the split.

“The decision to not re-hire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time,” said Roddick.

“Any more on this situation’s a private matter between coach and player.”

Éowyn
12-14-2004, 02:40 AM
i think this is reason enough for an avatar change!

surfpinky
12-14-2004, 03:38 AM
i didnt think andy had a bad year this year... was brad really that bad :confused: filll me in!! :scratch:

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:41 AM
Just read what all of us have been saying.... I think we all kind of explain our own opinions pretty well :)

And holy shitake, how hilarious is it that the pic that Eurosport has up with the story isn't even Brad:haha:

surfpinky
12-14-2004, 04:11 AM
^^lol i did :D ..confused me even more...

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 04:12 AM
oh :( well do you have a specific question someone can answer? :scratch:

surfpinky
12-14-2004, 05:08 AM
that brad wasnt good for andy b/c...? :confused:

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 05:15 AM
I can only speak for myself, I guess. I never thought Brad wasn't "good for andy" - I just kinda felt like towards the end of this season it kinda seemed that Brad wasn't helping Andy anymore. Andy's attitude seemed to regress, he acted a little more immaturely again, he let himself get distracted, have a lot of mental letdowns again, etc, and even some of the improvements he'd made in his game had kinda gone away.

Those are some of the things Brad had really helped him with in their first months together. So if his effect was no longer influencing Andy or whatever, it was time for a change. Am I making any sense? Like, it's nothing against Brad, it just didn't seem like they were accomplishing what they/Andy wanted to be accomplishing. That's why it might have been such a sudden decision. It's not like they had some fight or falling out, I'd guess they were still getting along fine, but when the season came to an end, Andy probably reflected with his family and whoever else and was like.... whoa maybe Brad is not helping me anymore.

I just hope he came to that conclusion and had a plan B before he actually fired Brad. if not he's in trouble. and I was so optimistic for '05 too :awww:

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 05:17 AM
aw amanda.... someone made that joke in the thread on GM already :p but it was cute anyway :p

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 06:09 AM
awwww I just knew Karen Crouse would have something to say!! Before her article I put an excerpt from an updated AP article. Anyone know anything about this guy?
---------
It wasn't immediately clear who might replace Gilbert, who was not in Spain with Roddick for the Davis Cup final this month. WUSA-TV in Washington, D.C., reported Monday night that Roddick agreed to terms with Dean Goldfine, who has worked with Todd Martin and was an assistant coach with the U.S. Davis Cup and Olympic teams.

"I can't confirm there was an offer from Andy to Dean, but it's not uncommon for players who work with USTA coaches to hire them as their personal coaches," U.S. Tennis Association spokesman Tim Curry said.
-------------
Roddick dismisses Gilbert
Andy Roddick won the 2003 U.S. Open title with Brad Gilbert as his coach.
By Karen Crouse

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Brad Gilbert will have much more time than he expected to promote his latest book, I've Got Your Back, after Andy Roddick informed Gilbert during the weekend that he would not be coaching him in the 2005 season.

The decision, Roddick said in a statement, "is based on what I think is best for my game at this time. Any more on this situation is a private matter between coach and player."

Ginger Roddick, the player's sister-in-law and publicist, said Roddick would have no further comment at this time.

Gilbert, writing on his Web site on Monday, sounded as surprised as anybody by Roddick's decision.

"I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy," Gilbert said. "He has been a great student of the game during the time that we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. While I believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way."

The Boca Raton resident, 22, paired with Gilbert after parting with Tarik Benhabiles in June 2003, on the heels of a dispiriting first-round loss at the French Open. Roddick proceeded to compile a 121-26 record under the tutelage of Gilbert, who previously had worked with Andre Agassi.

During the 18 months Roddick and Gilbert worked together Roddick won nine titles — including four this year. He captured his first Grand Slam crown, at the 2003 U.S. Open, but lost his No. 1 ranking and ground in 2004 to his main rival, Roger Federer. Federer won three of the four majors and had a 74-6 match record.

Asked during an interview with CNBC in September to describe his value to Roddick, Gilbert said: "No matter what he needs, you know, to make his day easier, I mean, that's me. I'm not exactly somebody that's ever going to yell or scream or get in someone's face. I . . . try to really make (players) feel comfortable with me and then I can (get into) the X's and O's."

It's no secret Gilbert was insistent on Roddick becoming a more proficient serve and volleyer. "Oh, there's no question," Gilbert said in the CNBC interview. "Hopefully, you know, by the time he's 25 he can learn to serve and volley a lot better. Even sooner. . . . He definitely needs to improve his net play and learn to serve and volley to be more economical."

Roddick, who finished the year at No. 2 behind Federer, looked ragged in a 6-3, 6-2 loss to Lleyton Hewitt last month in the semifinals of the Masters Cup in Houston. Hewitt's strategy was to make Roddick play an extra ball on every point, and it proved deadly effective when Roddick came out cold.

Gilbert did not travel to Seville, Spain, early this month for the Davis Cup final between the United States and Spain. Roddick, the U.S.'s No. 1 singles player, lost both his singles matches, as the U.S. lost 3-2.

On Saturday at a black-tie dinner for The Andy Roddick Foundation at the Polo Club in Boca Raton, Roddick said his volleying was "getting there." That night and the following day, which he spent on the tennis courts, Roddick carried himself like a man with not a concern in the world. He gave no outward indication that all wasn't copacetic in his world.

He did let slip that Jim Courier had gotten on him a little about his volleying. Courier, a former No. 1 player who has worked with Roddick in Davis Cup, would appear a good fit as a replacement for Gilbert for the same reasons he is respected as a television analyst — he is a terrific tactician who doesn't command attention.

superpinkone37
12-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Dean Goldfine -- Men's Coach

11/4/04 8:06 PM

Dean Goldfine, a resident of Aventura, FL, joined the High Performance staff in January, 2003.
Prior to his role as a High Performance Coach, he was Todd Martin’s personal coach from 1996-2002. Martin enjoyed his best year as a pro in 1999 under Dean’s tutelage. That year Martin earned a career-high ranking of No. 4 in the world, reached the singles final at the US Open and qualified for the ATP’s season-ending championship.

He has also coached Xavier Malisse, Aaron Krickstein, Mary Joe Fernandez and 1995 ATP Doubles Champions Grant Connell and Patrick Gailbraith. Dean played varsity tennis at Texas A&M from 1983-87.

http://www.highperformance.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=123006&itype=7420

==================

for some reason that dude's name sounds familiar, but who knows why. anyways, i just googled him and that what the first thing that came up. im sure you guys can find even more info on him that way, but i gotta stop posting on here tonight and finish my homework lol

heya
12-14-2004, 03:11 PM
How bitter and phony Gilbert is!
By the time the summer of 2003 arrived, Andy was doing nothing more than serve faster. I don't believe that Andy moved well when he
barely saved matchpoints or depended on others' errors to win matches
in '04 Miami, '03 Montreal, '03 Queens, Cincinnati, Australian Open & USO.
He was oversatisfied, then stopped caring about his health. After that. he whined about not wanting to play. RESULT: A fantastic loser in the French Open, all the way through December. He has no pain tolerance. It's time to skip Davis Cup, biotch.

In Gilbert's fantasy:
Andy only needed to be calm to win & his fitness+scheduling weren't a comedic mess.

Amazing that he accepted Andy's written compliments.
Yet, he portrayed Andy as a moron who denied for a week that he lost a match & had to punch Gilbert to release his frustration.
What's wrong, Brad...did you think his game was fixable? No court position & variety, Genius?

Andy couldn't pause before serving slower, well-placed balls?
Do we need double faults & 900000 JOKE bricks in the net? *laugh louder, everyone
Did Andy lack intelligence or did arrogant liars + clueless family members hurt him?
Is it really humanly possible to tank this many matches? :scared:
Does Andy have energy left to waste with the indifferent attitude?
Is he retiring soon...? :o
Is there time to practice/play often in Europe?
Is it feasible to undo self-hatred & inexperience caused by
his parents' lenient "wait til he's older to hire a coach' attitude?
-- Andy's insecure+angry for no reason. BOO HOO

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:38 PM
interesting, long article from San Diego paper
=========
Roddick dumps Gilbert after relatively short 'marriage'
UNION-TRIBUNE
December 14, 2004

As a sequel to his book, "Winning Ugly," Brad Gilbert now can write one titled "Fired Ugly."

Andy Roddick has dumped Gilbert as his coach, not at all ceremoniously. Although Gilbert on his Web site said the customary, complimentary things about Roddick after being advised of his dismissal, he is known to have told intimates that he had been given no inkling of his pending ouster, nor was he aware of what prompted it.

In a statement released by SFX, the agency that represents him, Roddick did not detail his reasons for cashiering Gilbert. "The decision not to re-hire Brad Gilbert is based on what I think is best for me," Roddick said.

The dissolution of the Roddick-Gilbert alliance breaks up the most visible player-coach relationship in men's tennis. After they began their association following Wimbledon in 2002, Roddick captured 16 straight matches, won the U.S. Open and established himself as the No. 1 player in 2003.

This year, however, has been less rewarding for Roddick. His ranking fell behind that of Roger Federer of Switzerland, who outplayed him in the Wimbledon final and in two other tournament finals.

Roddick's difficulties compounded in recent weeks. After surrendering the final 20 points of a semifinal match against Lleyton Hewitt at the Tennis Masters Cup Houston, Roddick lost both his singles matches in a Davis Cup final against Spain. He never had failed against either Rafael Nadal or Carlos Moya, but both the Spaniards bested him on the Seville clay as Spain claimed the cup.

In Houston for the Tennis Masters Cup event were Lornie Kuhle, owner of the Bobby Riggs Tennis Club in Encinitas, and Pancho Segura. From Bedford, N.Y., where he had attended the wedding of Segura's son, Spencer, Kuhle said the senior Segura asked him after Roddick's defeat to Hewitt, "I wonder what Mr. Gilbert is going to advise Roddick now?"

Kuhle also said he had several conversations with Gilbert in Houston, and that Gilbert made no mention that his association with Roddick might be ending. Kuhle said his talks with Gilbert dealt mostly with whether Roddick would be willing to take part in a proposed exhibition match that Jimmy Connors is championing – Connors and John McEnroe opposing Roddick and Pete Sampras in doubles, with the Connors-McEnroe amalgam given a handicap.

"Yeah, Roddick would play if the money's right," Kuhle said Gilbert told him.

At this year's U.S. Open, Roddick was eliminated by Joachim Johansson, a 6-foot-6 Swede with a serve of comparable severity to Roddick's. Roddick was positioning himself well behind the baseline while Johansson was serving, while Johansson was standing well in for his returns of Roddick's delivery, tennis' swiftest.

Kuhle questioned Roddick's tactic. "He doesn't have the legs Hewitt has to chase balls down," Kuhle said. "He has to work on his volleys and on his service returns. Roddick is not a road-runner. He's a thick-set guy, a Boris Becker type."

Kuhle further questioned if Roddick needs a coach.

"Look at Federer," invited Kuhle. "Who's his coach?"

Federer did not have a coach this year. He dismissed longtime mentor Peter Lundgren in December 2003.

Roddick is erring in bouncing Gilbert, according to La Jolla tennis savant Ted Schroeder, who spoke with Gilbert yesterday and said Gilbert was accepting his dismissal "philosophically."

"If I were a player, I would rather have Gilbert as a coach than anybody I know," said Schroeder, a onetime U.S. Davis Cup stalwart. "He understands how to play tennis."

Gilbert advocates always being aware of what tactics are winning for a player and what tactics are not. He stresses having a plan, and never rushing. Under him, Roddick captured 121 of 147 matches.

"I am very proud of the record we achieved," said Gilbert in his statement. "While I believe there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way."

Roddick named Gilbert as his coach after Andre Agassi had thrived with the San Leandro resident counseling him. Roddick's previous coach had been Tarik Benhabiles of France.

As Gilbert's successor, Roddick is expected to tap Todd Martin or Dean Goldfine. Martin is a longtime tourist, now retired as a player, who has agreed to handle Mardy Fish, a Davis Cup teammate of Roddick with whom Roddick has a close relationship. Goldfine, from Aventura, Fla., is a U.S. Tennis Association instructor who has been coaching Fish.

tangerine_dream
12-14-2004, 03:39 PM
So much for my "break" from MTF. :lol: I'm still on a self-imposed exile from the horrid GM though. I can only imagine the kind of war that's broken out in there over Brad's firing. ;)

And holy shitake, how hilarious is it that the pic that Eurosport has up with the story isn't even Brad
We actually made the same mistake on RO! :haha: On first glance, the guy *does* look like Brad.

Surfpinky, by anyone else's standards, Andy's year wasn't all that bad. But compared to 2003, 2004 was a disappointment. Plus, he's had some really bad loses this year which I'll be amazed he can shake off (Wimbledon, Cincy, Olympics, etc.)

I can only speak for myself, I guess. I never thought Brad wasn't "good for andy" - I just kinda felt like towards the end of this season it kinda seemed that Brad wasn't helping Andy anymore. Andy's attitude seemed to regress, he acted a little more immaturely again, he let himself get distracted, have a lot of mental letdowns again, etc, and even some of the improvements he'd made in his game had kinda gone away.

Agree 100%. We had been commenting all year long how Andy seems to have regressed. :awww:

am&a, :haha: Roger coaching Andy. Can you imagine?

How bitter and phony Gilbert is! ....

Heya's back! :banana: :bowdown:

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:45 PM
So much for my "break" from MTF. :lol: I'm still on a self-imposed exile from the horrid GM though. I can only imagine the kind of war that's broken out in there over Brad's firing. ;)

Actually, I started the thread and it's rather long, but there hasn't been one argument. Some pretty interesting discussions about who would be good for Andy. I even agreed with tennischick :eek: :p

And here's a follow-up from the guy who got the news first - credit to him lol
=======

Sacked coach stunned
By Leo Schlink
15dec04
BRAD Gilbert has reacted tersely to his sacking by world No. 2 Andy Roddick.

While Roddick has said little on the issue, Gilbert has taken a parting shot at the US Open winner.

"While I believe there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way," Gilbert said on his website. "I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy.

"He has been a great student of the game during the time that we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved.

"I wish Andy all of the best and will be rooting for him."

Gilbert was stunned by Roddick's move, which also rocked the international tennis community.

But Roddick stands by the decision - revealed exclusively by the Herald Sun - after mulling over the matter at the Davis Cup final.

"The decision to not rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time," Roddick said. "Any more on this situation's a private matter between coach and player."

After losing in the 2003 French Open first round, Roddick dumped long-time coach Tarik Benhabiles and replaced him with Gilbert, who had helped Andre Agassi resurrect his career.

The rewards were instant. Under Benhabiles, Roddick had won one title in 2003. After appointing Gilbert, he won another five titles including the US Open.

Roddick won 121 of 147 matches and nine singles titles under Gilbert.

Roddick is not believed to have lined up a replacement for Gilbert, whose garrulous nature is said to have tested Roddick's patience.

Australian Lleyton Hewitt has carved a huge hole in Roddick's rankings lead and is poised to leapfrog the American in the opening week of the new season.

If successful, Hewitt will secure the No. 2 seeding for the January 17-30 Australian Open.

Agassi and Gilbert ended their eight-year partnership two years ago, paving the way for Hewitt's former mentor Darren Cahill to take over.

World No. 1 Roger Federer won three of this year's four grand slam titles - the Australian, Wimbledon and US Open titles - without having a coach.

surfpinky
12-14-2004, 06:37 PM

Those are some of the things Brad had really helped him with in their first months together. So if his effect was no longer influencing Andy or whatever, it was time for a change. Am I making any sense? Like, it's nothing against Brad, it just didn't seem like they were accomplishing what they/Andy wanted to be accomplishing. That's why it might have been such a sudden decision. It's not like they had some fight or falling out, I'd guess they were still getting along fine, but when the season came to an end, Andy probably reflected with his family and whoever else and was like.... whoa maybe Brad is not helping me anymore.

I just hope he came to that conclusion and had a plan B before he actually fired Brad. if not he's in trouble. and I was so optimistic for '05 too :awww:

oh ok...i kind of saw that too but it never crossed my mind as to why he it was happening... :)

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 06:59 PM
tennis-x finally weighed in.. not a bad article actually
----------
Roddick Hoping to Smell Better after Gilbert

Posted on December 14, 2004

Give Andy Roddick credit. He wants to win, really badly.

Why else would you dump a coach in Brad Gilbert who had helped you reach No. 1 and win the U.S. Open title, but only got you to No. 2 a year later?

The story Dale Robertson of the Houston Chronicle broke in a column Sunday morning was confirmed on Monday as Roddick officially announced his decision to part ways with Gilbert.

“The decision to not rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time,” Roddick said in a statement. “Any more on this situation is a private matter between coach and player. That being said, I enjoyed my time with Brad and wish him continued success in his future.”

Roddick hired Gilbert 18 months ago seeking a change following a dismal first round loss to Sargis Sargsian at the 2003 French Open. At the time, Roddick’s game and career seemed to be floundering under then-coach and personal friend Tarik Benhabiles.

Sure enough, it was Gilbert to the rescue, and rescue is what he did.

Despite speculation that his opinionated and talkative ways would clash with the traditional values of Roddick’s parents, Gilbert fit right in as part of Team Roddick and quickly molded a player with one of the greatest serves in the game into a thinker and a tactician on the court, and the results were immediate and stunning. Prior to Gilbert, Roddick had been just 25-11 on the season in 2003. Under Gilbert, Roddick’s game flourished and his confidence soared to a new level as he finished the year in remarkable if not improbable fashion posting a 47-8 record with five (of six total) titles, including a U.S. Open crown and a No. 1 finish.

Things could not have started out better for Roddick and Gilbert.

But in 2004, the gifted Roger Federer decided to turn the men’s circuit into his own private playground. Not only did Roddick’s results suffer, losing to the Swiss in a hard-fought Wimbledon final and in a lopsided affair in Bangkok, but so too did everyone else’s. Roddick ended the year with just four titles - no Slams and zero victories since barely winning at Indianapolis in August - and endured a disappointing Davis Cup final against Spain during which he won just one set. His game, by most accounts, appeared to be stagnating even though marked improvements could be seen in his backhand and volley.

Despite the lackluster results in Slams, the onslaught of Federer and the improved play from the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin and Tim Henman, Roddick still finished No. 2 in the world and still won 74 matches. Not a bad year really, but apparently for Roddick, it wasn’t enough and a change had to be made.

Roddick’s main focus is to win Grand Slams and finish No. 1. And to do that moving forward he’ll have to beat Federer, a man he has defeated just once in nine tries. So the big question is, who can help Roddick to beat Federer? After Monday’s official announcement it’s clear that Roddick felt Gilbert didn’t have the answer.

But who really does? Who out there can impart the wisdom to Roddick needed to beat the Swiss? Early speculation has centered on former No. 1 and two-time French Open champion Jim Courier. Courier, however, will come with a high price tag especially after finishing No. 1 this year on the senior circuit. Plus, Courier is a top notch TV analyst for NBC and has no prior coaching experience on his resume. Former Todd Martin mentor and current USTA coach Dean Goldfine is another name that’s been thrown out there, and according to one report, he's even been offered the job.

Or maybe Andy just figures that he can follow Federer’s path and play without a coach. Probably not, but we’ll soon find out as Roddick surely wouldn’t ax Gilbert without a plan this close to the start of 2005 season.

For his part, Gilbert again showed why he is one of the top coaches in the business. After taking Agassi to No. 1, few people, if any, thought he could reach the same heights with Roddick and his rocket-like serves. With his recent successes, demand for Gilbert will be high.

“I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy,” Gilbert posted on his website. “He has been a great student of the game during the time that we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. While I believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way. I wish Andy all of the best and will be rooting for him.”

smucav
12-14-2004, 07:19 PM
This article from Tennis Week is the best and most in-depth one I've seen so far on the whole situation. It was posted Monday evening and was the first to mention Dean Goldfine--the AP story was published early AM Tuesday--in connection with Andy.
Roddick, Gilbert Issue Statements On Firing (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=11890&bannerregion=)

Dean Goldfine -- Men's Coach
for some reason that dude's name sounds familiar, but who knows why. anyways, i just googled him and that what the first thing that came up. im sure you guys can find even more info on him that way, but i gotta stop posting on here tonight and finish my homework lol
Dean Goldfine was the assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic team (he shared a room w. Andy & Mardy in the Olympic Village). Afterward, he was added to the Davis Cup staff as assistant coach. I noticed at both the September and December DC matches, Dean was sitting next to Andy during Mardy's & the Bryans' matches. They've definitely spent a fair amount of time together since August, so maybe this is something that has been in the works for a while and may be part of a more complicated arrangement involving John Roddick (as Tennis Week alludes to).

avocadoe
12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
"I have nothing to be ashamed of. I gave it my all. I'm not going to walk out of here with my head down, that's for sure... I'll just fire Brad's ass." lol lol lol!!!

tangerine_dream
12-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Report: Roddick replaces Gilbert with Goldfine
December 14, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- World No. 2 Andy Roddick replaced coach Brad Gilbert with U.S. Davis Cup assistant coach Dean Goldfine, a Washington television station WUSA-TV reported.

"I can't confirm there was an offer from Andy to Dean, but it's not uncommon for players who work with USTA coaches to hire them as their personal coaches," U.S. Tennis Association spokesman Tim Curry said.

Goldfine has worked with Australian and U.S. Open finalist Todd Martin, and was an assistant coach with the U.S. Olympic team.

Roddick unexpectedly split from Gilbert after 18 months together which yielded a U.S. Open title and the No. 1 ranking, but no specific reason was given.

"The decision to not rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time," Roddick said in a statement. "Any more on this situation is a private matter between coach and player. That being said, I enjoyed my time with Brad and wish him continued success in his future."

Roddick went 121-26 (an .823 winning percentage) and won nine titles with Gilbert, including his first Grand Slam in New York last year. Roddick finished 2003 atop the ATP Tour rankings to become, at 21, the second-youngest American to end a season there.

But Roddick was relegated to No. 2 this year behind Roger Federer, who became the first man since 1988 to win three majors in a season. Federer, who hasn't had a coach since firing Peter Lundgren at the end of last year, beat Roddick for the Wimbledon title and in two other tournament finals to improve to 8-1 against the American over their careers.

This season, Roddick went 74-18 with four titles.

=============

Here's an interview with Goldfine done two years ago...

Todd Martin to play another year
Martin's coach, Dean Goldfine, on coaching Todd, comments on the tour

By Sandra Harwitt
tennisreporters.net

Dean Goldfine is the longtime coach of Todd Martin and always makes sure to keep a close eye on the goings on around the tour. Goldfine, who played collegiate tennis for Texas A&M, has worked with many other players including Mary Joe Fernandez, fellow Aggie and former doubles standout Grant Connell and Xavier Malisse.

A couple of years ago, Goldfine launched the Pat Goldfine Tennis Pro-Am in memory of his mother, who died of breast and lung cancer. The event, which raises money for cancer research, takes place only a couple of days before the Nasdaq-100 Open and brings in many of the heavyweight names amongst the players.

Goldfine, who lives in the Miami area with wife, Jessica and son, Max, took time out from his rare time at home to chat with tennisreporters.net about the 32-year-old Martin, the 2002 and 2003 season and some of the names on the tour.

tennisreporters.net: Since we haven't heard otherwise, should we presume that Todd plans to keep on playing in 2003?

Dean Goldfine: He is. He's planning on playing another year. I've been up to Ponte Vedra (Todd's home in the Jacksonville, Fla. area) a couple of times this fall, but otherwise, I've been home. He's going to miss the Australian Open because Amy [Martin's wife] is due on January 26. But then he's planning on picking up, hopefully, at either San Jose or Memphis. I think a lot of that (Todd's schedule for next year) will depend on how he does and what tournaments he can get into. And we'll see once Amy has the baby how tough it is for him to leave home for periods at a time or how much the baby is going to come on the road with Amy, that will probably remain to be seen. I think he'd like to [play a full schedule].

tr.net: We know at the beginning of last year you also worked with Xavier Malisse for about five months. Are you working with anyone else besides Todd right now?

Goldfine: Yeah, I worked a little bit in the fall with Brian MacPhie, but besides that I'm not working with anyone else.

tr.net: Speaking of Malisse, that relationship seemed to work out quite well, yet he decided to move on to working with Craig Kardon. What brought about that decision?

Goldfine: I worked with him through the French Open, but then after that we stopped because he wanted someone, basically, for himself. And I've been with Todd for so long I wasn't going to just give that up and he ended up getting someone just for him.

tr.net: A lot of people are surprised to still see Todd and other guys in their thirties such as Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi still playing. However, other top players in the past such as Ken Rosewall and Jimmy Connors played into their late thirties. Can you see any of today's players still playing into their late 30's?

Goldfine: I think that the game now is a little different than it was back then. I think back then the guys didn't hit the ball quite as hard and plus, the schedule wasn't quite as demanding -- they didn't have nearly as many tournament and didn't play nearly as much as they do now. I think it was probably a little easier from a physical standpoint -- not only physical but probably mentally as well – to play later down the road in your life when you're getting up there a little bit. Now, I think, when you're out there and playing as much as these guys are playing it's tough to sustain that level that you feel you should be at for long periods of time. In that respect, for Todd, especially that he's missed time from injuries, that's probably helped prolong his career as well as his love for the game. Here's a guy -- I think there's quite a few guys out there that don't really enjoy playing tennis but it's a way for them to make a living and it's what they've been raised to do -- but Todd really loves getting out there and competing and playing and that's why he's playing as late in his career as he is.

tr.net: You mentioned that the schedule these days is very heavy for players and certainly many players bring that point up. What is your opinion -- Are there too many tournaments out there? Should they be paring down the yearly schedule?

Goldfine: I agree with that [there's too many tournaments] but I think they're doing a better job now. This year, for most of the guys, the last week was the first week of November or the last week of October. I think that there making an effort to do something about it and it really needed to be done because more and more guys are getting injured. What I also think needs to be done is guys need to be smarter about making their schedules and not succumb to going here and going there to pick up there big guarantees. I think that some guys, especially a guy just starting to do well and hasn't made the money in the past, all of sudden are getting these guarantees thrown at them and are falling to everyone of them, taking every one. What you end up seeing with them is they do that and they tend to get burned out at least for a little while and there level of play tends to drop. Obviously, there are some people that the more they play the better they play. And then there's a handful of guys, it's better for them to be on the road because it's a better lifestyle for them, or enjoy it that much, that they rather be on the road instead of going home. Some of these guys don't have a home per se to go to or anything to go home to. It might make a little more sense for those types of guy, but I still think eventually they'll get fried.

tr.net: What has it been like for you working with Todd all these years? When he does decide to retire, do you think you'll try to hook up with another player on the tour or try to pursue something different?

Goldfine: I've been very spoiled working with Todd because there aren't that many guys out there that are as classy as he is. We've always have had a relationship where he's been very honest with me, very fair with me, very up front with me all the time. I'd have to take a long look if there was someone (to work with in the future) – I wouldn't just jump out it because I'd have to know the person a little bit. I'd have to feel I was going to be treated the same way and it would be a good working relationship. Now it's getting to where my time at home is too valuable and I don't want to be running around, chasing the buck per se, to work with someone that I don't enjoy being out there helping. It would have to be someone I feel appreciates that I'm out there working with them.

tr.net: Looking at 2002, did you think it was a good year for men's tennis?

Goldfine: I think it was a good year from the fact that some Cinderella stories came up with guys like [Thomas] Johansson winning the Australian Open and Al Costa winning the French Open -- that added some variety to the game. I think some people look at it the other way, that here's guys that some people never heard winning majors, but I think it's good for tennis, it adds a little spice to things. And then after that you had guys you would think would win, like Lleyton Hewitt winning Wimbledon and obviously, it was a great story with Pete winning the US Open. Then you had guys like Paradorn Srichaphan finally having his breakthrough that was a great story, and a guy like James Blake who is great for tennis and David Nalbandian, who had a great run at Wimbledon. Even though it was great at Wimbledon to have the baseliners doing well, it would have been great, more than the semifinal between Hewitt and Henman, where you have a contrast in style --see Pete [Sampras] in there or Todd, more textbook serve-and-volleyers --that could have made for some great matches and that was a disappointing thing at Wimbledon.

tr.net: What are your thoughts on some of the young guys out there -- Paradorn Srichaphan, Andy Roddick, Fernando Gonzalez?

Goldfine: Paradorn, I think, here's a guy whose a big, strong kid and I think he's starting to realize he belongs out there and he can wins these matches. I remember watching earlier last year and he played some really good matches, but lost some tight matches against some good players. I think that win over Agassi [second round] at Wimbledon was a big step for him because he finally beat one of these big players and has the confidence to do it. I also think he's starting to realize he doesn't have to hit every ball as hard as he can and that was a problem in the past. Andy Roddick and Fernando Gonzalez have had that problem, too. There are definitely times to do that and times when you need to play a little more high percentage. Yeah, you have to play your game and go for your shots, but there are certain times in a match when you have to make guys play balls and it doesn't make any sense at those times in a match to try and hit winners left and right all the time. You need a little variety and you need to let your opponent make mistakes. Of course, half the battle is understanding when you have to do one and when you have to do the other and in most instances, that just comes with just playing, being out on the tour, learning it. Gonzalez has a huge forehand and he's a big guy who has gotten a lot more consistent with his play. I think a lot of that is mental; he has the confidence to go out there and he realizes he has a pretty good opportunity to do some damage and be a pretty solid player. He seems to have committed himself more to it and wants to do well, and must be putting in the time and effort to achieve his goals. Andy finished Top 10 or 11 and you can't call that disappointing. Obviously, your second year out there, guys start to figure out a little bit more about your game. I think considering that he did really well. He still has room for improvement – he can get to where he can get to the net a little bit – he's worked on that a little bit and it's going to come. You have to figure out where you need to be at the net and where you need to cover. Andy had a very good year overall. The places that were a little disappointing for him were the Grand Slams – obviously, there the most important tournaments for players and you can overemphasize them – and maybe he put a little too much pressure on himself when the Grand Slams came around to do well and that might have hurt him a little bit.

tr.net: And your thoughts on Lleyton Hewitt. Will he continue to hold onto the No. 1 ranking?

Goldfine: It's going to be interesting because he has said he's going to cut down his schedule. I think that will help him from the fact that he puts a lot of energy into his play and that will allow him to be fresher. It might hurt him in the fact that he might not do as well in the tournaments when he first comes back because I think it's tough, and it's getting tougher and tougher when you're away from the game for a period of time to come back and just do well right away. It might be tough for him to keep the No. 1 ranking but it should help him at the tournaments he wants to gear up for next year.

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 09:56 PM
hmm. interesting. He sounds like a cool guy and if he and Andy have been spending a lot of time together with DC and the Olympics and stuff, it's starting to seem like a viable possibility.

J. Corwin
12-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Maybe it was Dean's relationship with Andy that caused Andy to decide on dumping Brad.

I just barely skimmed these articles but to me it seems that Dean wants Andy to play percentage tennis.

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 10:10 PM
That was something Goldfine said a couple of years ago, though. Andy's game is much different then so I don't think you could really take statements from back then and say that that's how he'd coach him to play now. if that makes sense.

Here's the latest article, from tennisreporters. The stuff about money seems sort of fishy to me. Andy has enough money and if he felt like the relationship was really working, I'd find it hard to believe that he wouldn't try to work it out. Plus if there was a disagreement about money, one would think Brad wouldn't have been SO surprised? a money spat would at least have put Brad on notice, no?
====
Roddick-Gilbert may have parted over money
Dean Goldfine a near lock for job; Dent next for Gilbert?

By Matthew Cronin, TennisReporters.net

Sources have told TennisReporters.net that Andy Roddick fired Brad Gilbert because they couldn’t come to financial terms over his 2005 contract. Gilbert has worked without a formal contract since the two began working together in June 2003.

A source also told TR.net that Roddick and Davis Cup coach Dean Goldfine are in the midst of discussing a contract, although nothing had been signed as of Monday night.

On Monday, Roddick formally released Gilbert, who helped lead him to the '03 US Open title and the No. 1 ranking. However, Roddick did not play up to expectations in 2004, failing to win a Grand Slam crown and unable to lead the US to a Davis Cup title, his two biggest goals this year. While Roddick won four titles and finished the year ranked No. 2, he didn’t perform particularly well after winning Indianapolis in July, as he was shocked in the US Open quarters by Joachim Johansson, was embarrassed in the semis of TMC Houston by Lleyton Hewitt and then dropped two tight matches in the Davis Cup final.

Gilbert didn’t attend the Davis Cup final, while Goldfine, who assists US Captain Patrick McEnroe, did.

"I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy," Gilbert said on his web site. "He has been a great student of the game during the time we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. While I clearly believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way. I wish Andy all of the best and will be rooting for him."

Sources say the intense Gilbert and the opinionated Jerry Roddick, the player's father, clashed over money. Jerry Roddick has never been heavily involved in his son’s on-court choices, but the investor does handle most of his money matters. Roddick said his decision to not rehire Gilbert "is based on what I think is best for my game at this time."

PERSONALITIES MAY HAVE CLASHED
It is also possible that the two fast-talking, sometimes anxious coach and pupil wore on each other after a year and half. Roddick’s former coach, Tarik Benhabiles, was a much more laid back character, as is Gilbert’s former prize pupil, Andre Agassi.

Some media have speculated that former No. 1 Jim Courier might take the coaching reigns, but Courier has told friends that will not occur. Interestingly, Roddick's close friend Mardy Fish recently hired the recently-retired Todd Martin as his new coach, who was coached for a long time by Goldfine.

One of the world’s most respected strategic coaches, Gilbert was also fired by Andre Agassi in January 2002. During the year-and-a-half relationship between Agassi and Roddick, Gilbert worked a little with France’s Tatiana Golovin. Gilbert isn’t known for attempting major reclamation projects; so it’s possible he will wait for another major coaching opportunity from a Top 10 player.

Taylor Dent asked Gilbert to work with him just before Roddick hired him and no longer has a formal coach other than his father, Phil, who he works with occasionally. Phil Dent is a former tour player.

Another name that has been thrown around for Gilbert is Lleyton Hewitt … should the Australian not perform up to par in 2005 under his former trainer and now coach Roger Rasheed.

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Heya will like this - from a tennis week interview held (must've been very recently) with Andre's father Mike:
-------

Tennis Week: I want to ask you about Brad Gilbert in light of Roddick’s recent dismissal of him. What are Brad’s strengths and weaknesses as a coach?

Mike Agassi: Brad is a constant talker, you know. If you can sit and listen to him continuously, after a while, he repeats himself. If you can take it, he’s OK. But if you cannot take it, then it’s annoying. Myself, I had such a little problem with Brad. He used to work with Andre’s serve. He would tell Andre to serve 115 miles an hour to the T then next serve, the second serve, would be 92 miles an hour wide to the backhand. From 115 you go to 92, I would say try to between five to nine mile differences in the serves. Brad is a good talker. He always had answers. He once told me: "Everybody is two or three inches taller than Andre, that’s why they serve that big." I said: "Then here is a racquet two inches longer and it’s gonna give Andre a longer reach.". And his answer was: "Yeah, he’s gonna have a better serve, but he’s gonna lose seven and a half percent of his forehand and nine and a half percent on his backhand." And once you listen to someone and believe in him, then you believe in him. That’s the way it works.

Tennis Week: Roddick’s still number two in the world, so it's not like he's had a dramatic drop in results, but if you could coach Roddick what would you tell him?

Mike Agassi: If you talk to him, let me tell you what you say to him: forget about the 150 mile an hour serve, forget about the 140 mile an hour serve. Serve 130 mile an hour first serve on the corners and serve a 122, 123, 124 mile an hour second serve hitting the corners and I’ll bet you if he served 130 mile an hour first serve a lot more are going to go in, but he can place it better. People are acing each other with 115, 120 mile an hour serve so you need to use your placement and not just go for the fast serve all the time.

sagroove
12-14-2004, 11:38 PM
OK ....now its my turn to opine...

First of all it is NO SECRET that AR is not exaclty at his best. His results ever since the US Open have been not stellar -- granted he seems to have lost some of the flab but he is still not focused.

I am sure Brad Gilbert is upset with AR's lifestyle and since we all know BG is never at a loss of words, he most likely told AR what he thought of his lifestyle and how it affects his tennis.

AR is 22 and he should have a good time with his friends and go out and drink beer and smoke ciggs and party with the co-eds at UT in Austin but he is also a PROFESSIONAL tennis player and has to make smart decisions.

You never read or hear of Roger Federer out partying like its 1999 and his hard work and focus has paid off brilliantly.

Brad Gilbert is used to working with focused, hard workers like Andre Agassi and AR is not Agassi - as he has proved to have the same work ethic as Agassi.

You may not like BG but u must recognize his ability to take a player and make him better.

In closing, BG should be happy that AR let himn go before AR drops even further and then BG gets the bad rap when in fact the only person who's fault it is will be AR himself.

SAGroove

PS Jim Courier would not last 6 mohts with AR as JC was another focused hard worker who would not tolerate all the pizza, beers, smoking, partying with the co-eds till wee hours of the night.

Todd Martin as a coach? Ha!

heya
12-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Coach stresses having a plan, and never rushing. I'm sure that helped.:rolleyes:

After taking Agassi to No. 1, few people, if any, thought he could reach the same heights with Roddick and his rocket-like serves.
yawn...

Roddick went 121-26 (an .823 winning percentage) and won nine titles with Gilbert
Easy to downplay the trouble he had against non-top 10 players.

A reporter asked him, "Who believes in you if you don't believe in yourself?"
Is it a shock to him that after choking away an Agassi match in Houston, he saved a match point to win a rematch in Queens?
Had he surrendered, he'd never be respected on grass.
If anything, he failed because he didn't worry about carpet & hardcourt.
Nobody let him do anything on clay.

He finally realized that a dream & success aren't the same things.

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 11:46 PM
uh :scratch: sagroove, are you an Andy fan or not? I thought you were, guess I was mistaken. If you think he's such a shlub and so lazy and undedicated, etc, why do you even bother coming back here, or why do you even bother following Andy's career at all if you think he's just going to party himself into gaining 50 pounds and drop off the tennis radar? Seems like an awful waste of your time if that's what you believe. You only come here to say negative stuff, and you only ever seem to propagate rumors - now he smokes, too? But ah yes, you have "connections" and "sources" in Austin so far be it from me to be skeptical of your pronouncements. Todd Martin is going to coach Mardy Fish, so unless you're obsessed with him too, you shouldn't really care about that.

lol heya... funny that I thought of you right when I saw this news a few days ago. I remember how much you loooooooooooooved Brad. You must be happy about all this then :) Well we're glad to have you back :hug:

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Tennis: After mixed year, Roddick drops his coach
Christopher Clarey
International Herald Tribune

Two of tennis's strongest personalities have officially parted ways, as Andy Roddick and his high-profile coach, Brad Gilbert, announced that they had stopped working together by way of their own web sites and then made no further commen.

"The decision not to rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time," Roddick said in a statement posted on his web site on Monday.

Gilbert's web site was slightly more forthcoming, reflecting his surprise at the decision. "I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy," Gilbert wrote. "He has been a great student of the game during the time that we worked together and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. While I believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way."

It was a terse finish to a communicative relationship between two extroverts, one that began in June 2003 after Roddick fired his longtime coach, Tarik Benhabiles.

Gilbert, who coached Andre Agassi during Agassi's finest seasons, was waiting for Roddick's phone call. Once it came, Gilbert boarded the next plane he could find to London. His positive impact was immediate, as the powerful, tactically immature Roddick won the title on grass at Queen's. Roddick quickly made the big leap from top 10 player to U.S. Open champion and the season-ending No. 1 ranking.

But that was last season.

This season belonged to Roger Federer of Switzerland, who opened up a huge gap in the rankings and widened his career edge over Roddick to 8-1 with a series of convincing victories in big events, including a hard-fought Wimbledon final.

Roddick, 22, still had a fine year by objective standards, compiling a 74-18 record, winning four titles and finishing the season at No. 2. But he failed to close the deal at the major events, failing to win a Grand Slam title, a medal in the Olympics or in this month's Davis Cup final against Spain in Seville, where he lost both his singles matches on slow red clay.

"I had as good a year as I could have without it being a great year, if that makes sense," Roddick said in Seville. "Roger's just completely taken the torch and ran with it. That being said, I think the rest of us are inspired by that.

"If you look at a guy like Roger, and you don't realize how hard you have to work, then something is wrong.

"If I want to get my spot back or get back to where it is actually a debate who the top player is, then I'm going to have to step it up, and I know that. So I'm just going to try to do everything in my power."

Surprisingly, that included firing Gilbert, who was with Roddick at last month's Tennis Masters Cup in Houston and was busy planning for next season.

Roddick did not ask Gilbert to come to the Davis Cup final in Seville, although he did ask him to come to the Olympics in Athens this summer, where they marched with the U.S. delegation in the opening ceremony. But Roddick lost in the third round there to Fernando González of Chile and then suffered another unexpected blow when he was upset at the U.S. Open in the fourth round by the big-hitting Joachim Johansson of Sweden.

For all Gilbert's tactical expertise, Roddick was still struggling to take full advantage of his huge serve and forehand by pushing forward to the net.

Neither could be reached for comment Monday, but a source close to both men said that the split was more related to personality differences than results.

"My feeling personally is that they spent almost too much time together," the source said, "and I think Andy is young and really mature in some ways but still has got a little more maturing to do in others. On a social level, Brad is just sort of in your face constantly. I think that just wore on Andy a little bit."

There was also a lack of chemistry between Gilbert and Roddick's father Jerry, who is an important influence on his son.

Though Federer put together his terrific 2004 season without a formal coach, Roddick is not expected to follow his lead. The top candidate to replace Gilbert is Dean Goldfine, who got to know Roddick better this year while serving as an assistant coach to Patrick McEnroe at the Olympics and in Davis Cup.

[A Washington television station, WUSA-TV, reported Tuesday that Roddick had replaced Gilbert with Goldfine, The Associated Press reported.]

Goldfine, a former collegiate player at Texas A&M, has worked with several prominent players during his 14-year coaching career, including Mary Joe Fernandez, the Canadian doubles champion Grant Connell and the mercurial Belgian Xavier Malisse, but he is best known for his long and productive association with Todd Martin, a former U.S. Open finalist who retired this season.

Goldfine has a less voluble, more subtle personality than Gilbert. Unlike Gilbert, he does not have his own web site, two provocative books to his credit or Agassi on his résumé, which would mean that Roddick would not be sharing the spotlight with his new coach the way he did with his former one.

RoddickBabe10
12-15-2004, 12:50 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!

I haven't gotten on this site for 2 months or so and omg, omg I'm so so shocked. This is just my personal comment, but I really thought Brad and Andy had like a "perfect relationship" because they're both so funny and they seemed like they had a lot of fun working with each other, you know. I really liked Brad a lot. Awe, I'm just so sad. Sorry for being overly dramatic but I'm just saying.

Well, anyways, everyone's up for Courier. I agree with the people that said that he could definitely help Andy's game on clay. But Brad has done a lot of great things for him too and hopefully they didn't separate on bad terms, you know, I hope they're still good friends and whoever's going to be Andy's next coach, hopefully they have a longer term relationship and that he helps Andy better up his overall game. Good luck, Andy!

superpinkone37
12-15-2004, 01:59 AM
Dean Goldfine was the assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic team (he shared a room w. Andy & Mardy in the Olympic Village). Afterward, he was added to the Davis Cup staff as assistant coach. I noticed at both the September and December DC matches, Dean was sitting next to Andy during Mardy's & the Bryans' matches. They've definitely spent a fair amount of time together since August, so maybe this is something that has been in the works for a while and may be part of a more complicated arrangement involving John Roddick (as Tennis Week alludes to).

thats probably what i remember his name from. thanks smucav :)

star
12-15-2004, 02:08 AM
And his name sounds similar to Paul Goldstein. :)

superpinkone37
12-15-2004, 02:11 AM
ok well i finally read all those articles you guys have posted, and it sounds like Goldfine is the guy. we'll see how all this turns out

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 03:09 PM
More news...Goldfine speaks! lol... but, it sounds good to me.
--------------

Match for Roddick?

By Charles Bricker
Staff Writer
Posted December 15 2004

No contract has been signed and no announcement is expected for at least a week, but Dean Goldfine appears to be tennis star Andy Roddick's first choice to replace Brad Gilbert as his coach.

"We haven't done anything. We had a really good conversation and we're on the same page in terms of what I expect from a player in commitment and what he wants, and the reading I got from him is that I would have a lot of the qualities he's looking for in a coach," Goldfine, 39, of Aventura, said Tuesday.

"That being said, from his standpoint, which is smart, he wants to cover all his bases. I think Andy wants a long-term relationship and wants to make sure it's the right fit ... the best fit."

If Goldfine was being guarded, others in tennis were not. Nick Bollettieri, whose Bradenton training center is one of the best known in the world, said Goldfine would be Roddick's next coach.

Also, two ranking officials of the USTA, where Goldfine is a coach in the high performance department, made it clear he's at the top of Roddick's list.

Neither Roddick nor Gilbert would comment in detail about Gilbert's firing. There were strong indications that Roddick, now 22 and living in Austin, Texas, after residing in Boca Raton until 2003, is ready for a coach with less ego, a much lower profile and one who doesn't mind remaining in the background.

Goldfine, who coached Martin for seven years, fits that description. His long tenure as Todd Martin's coach, as well as Roddick's extremely high regard for Martin, undoubtedly works in Goldfine's favor.

Gilbert coached Roddick to nine titles, including his first Grand Slam at the 2003 U.S. Open. Roddick finished that year No. 1 in the world. Though he was replaced by Roger Federer at No. 1 early in 2004, there was no slump and he was a strong No. 2 at the end of the season.

Roddick, who is on an exhibition tour, released a statement, saying, "The decision to not rehire Brad Gilbert for the 2005 season is based on what I think is best for my game at this time. Any more on this situation is a private matter between player and coach."

Said Goldfine: "I think Andy is looking for someone who will push him."

There's no question about Gilbert's ability to add emotional and mental maturity to a player with elite skills. He took a rudderless Andre Agassi and showed him how to combine the thinking end of the game with his prodigious physical skills.

That was lacking in Roddick's game as well in May of 2003. In his first tournament with Gilbert as coach, he won the grass-court prelude to Wimbledon at Queens Club and then reached the semifinals at Wimbledon, where he lost to Federer.

From that point through his triumph in New York, Roddick was 27-1 and was 74-18 in 2004. Though he could never solve Federer, who leads 8-1 in head-to-head play, it is unlikely that's the reason for this firing.

Gilbert has a high profile personality, which is evident from the Web site at BradGilberttennis.com, which declares this is "BG Nation." He also uses the Web site to promote his two books -- Winning Ugly and I've Got Your Back, which recounts his cerebral playing days and his successes with Roddick.

"Brad was a great player and a great coach, and he's proved that," Goldfine said. "What he's done with Andre and Andy have been spectacular." But, he added, "I expressed to Andy that `it's your show, I would just be along for the ride.' The coach has his responsibilities, but when push comes to shove, it's the players who play. It's not about Dean Goldfine. It's about the player."

Golfnduck
12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
I don't know much about Dean, but he sounds like he could help Andy. Brad did like being in the spotlight, and I think Andy wants more attention to help improve his game and not advertise him.

MisterQ
12-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Mike Agassi's latest TennisWeek interview mentions Roddick, Gilbert, and related issue quite a few times. A few excerpts:

Tennis Week: Roddick’s still number two in the world, so it's not like he's had a dramatic drop in results, but if you could coach Roddick what would you tell him?

Mike Agassi: If you talk to him, let me tell you what you say to him: forget about the 150 mile an hour serve, forget about the 140 mile an hour serve. Serve 130 mile an hour first serve on the corners and serve a 122, 123, 124 mile an hour second serve hitting the corners and I’ll bet you if he served 130 mile an hour first serve a lot more are going to go in, but he can place it better. People are acing each other with 115, 120 mile an hour serve so you need to use your placement and not just go for the fast serve all the time.

Tennis Week: Do you see anyone out there who can challenge Roger Federer, long-term, for No. 1?

Mike Agassi: There is a (player) who needs to be able to serve and volley, not necessarily serve and volley together, but they need to serve and be able to come in and put away the volley during the point. For instance, if someone out there had the game Sampras used to have, he had the first and second serve almost the same speed and he placed them so well in both corners. And his first volley was very effective, so if someone had that game they could do it (challenge Federer). But the way it goes, everybody knows he’s gonna lose before they play Federer so it’s like they give up before they go play the guy. He only loses when he doesn’t play his best and the other guy plays over his head.

Tennis Week: The last time you and I spoke you said Federer was proving something you always said: that a champion doesn’t need a coach to be successful. Do you believe Federer can continue to dominate the game without a coach?

Mike Agassi: Can I ask you a question?

Tennis Week: Sure.

Mike Agassi: What is your job?

Tennis Week: Journalist.

Mike Agassi: Do you need a coach to do your journalist job?

Tennis Week: No, but I get a lot of unwanted coaching at home anyway.

Mike Agassi: Let me say one thing: if a person does not have a coach then he needs to have enough time to study the tapes himself. You follow me? He has to study his game and other people’s games. When I learned tennis, I didn’t learn tennis because someone told me how to hit the ball. I watched and I took one point from this player, one point from that player and one point from the other player and I put that together and I made a package gift for Andre. You follow me?

Tennis Week: Yes, you took the best quality from each player you saw and passed it on to Andre.

Mike Agassi: I taught Andre to take the ball on the rise because I saw Boris Becker once do that. I taught Andre to hit swing volleys because I once saw Lendl do that. He did that once in a year or two years, it was very rare, but he did do that. I saw players hit the inside out forehand and I did that with Andre. Play inside the court, I did that with Andre. Go to the ball and pick up the ball on the rise, I did that with Andre. Get on the guy’s serve with a short back swing on your return, I did that with Andre. Once in a while, players will do something that they don’t know they just did. They don’t realize it. And if you’re outside the court and you can study the game and see that and you can work on it the kid becomes a hell of a player.

Tennis Week: Do you see any player out there whose style reminds you of Andre? You know, who can take the ball early, take command from the baseline, punish returns?

Mike Agassi: Rios was like that. He reminds me of Andre and in one way he was something better than Andre: you couldn’t read his contact point and direction of the ball. Do you know the beauty of a mirror? If you throw light at a mirror at five degrees, then the light comes back five degrees the other side, correct? Now if the ball comes at your hand and if you meet the ball with an angle on the racquet then they cannot read your shot and where the ball is coming. Do you know what I’m talking about? Do you understand?

Tennis Week: Yeah, I understand what you’re saying. You’re saying the angle of the racquet face can be deceptive to the opponent and make it tougher to read the shot?

Mike Agassi: Yes, you can change the angle of the racquet head, some players. But if Roddick hits the ball crosscourt, before he hits, you know he’s hitting crosscourt. If you have the same swing and you meet the ball with the angle, then the guy crosscourt cannot read if you’re going to his backhand or forehand.

Tennis Week: Yeah, but that takes incredible timing and technique to do that.

Mike Agassi: Yeah, listen the guys who can do it are making a hell of a lot of money. You wanna do that? Go work on it. That’s what you have to work on it. My practice was the ball machine. I couldn’t give him 5,000 balls like that. I would put the ball machine on serve and ask Andre to change the direction on his return without telegraphing where the ball was going.

Tennis Week: How many balls would Andre hit a every day when he was growing up, training with you in the backyard?

Mike Agassi: I had somewhere around 60 garbage cans and there were around 300 balls in each garbage can and he would go through many of those garbage cans each day. Maybe 3,000 to sometimes 5,000 balls he used to hit.

Tennis Week: But doesn't that confidence come from success on the court? Winning matches gives you confidence, right? So what's the solution?

Mike Agassi: Stop practicing with the men. Serena and Venus, stop practicing with the men. Most of our American girls think if they practice with the men, he's a better player, then I'll get better. In some ways, yes, you get better playing with the better player. But you have to hit the ball — not just the big ball, but other shots (angles) — to see if the women can return it or not. I would like to see them play one women, Serena or Venus, against too good players on the other side in practice. Practice against two of them and if you can make the point against two good women then you can make the point against any of these girls in the world. I have told Andre and Brad Gilbert a hundred times: play one against two to improve your volley, but no, Brad Gilbert goes there and hits against Andre. I said: "Brad, if you were good enough to play against Andre, you would go on the tour and make more money." He always had answers. He hit one ball, he talks 10 minutes. He hit one ball, he talks 10 minutes. Then in two hours, Andre has only hit 30 balls.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 08:49 PM
PMac approves :) And the more I hear about Goldfine, the more optimistic I am.
========

McEnroe: Goldfine Would Be Good Choice For Roddick

Photo By Susan Mullane By Richard Pagliaro
12/16/2004

Patrick McEnroe hired Dean Goldfine as his Olympic and Davis Cup assistant coach and has experienced some of Goldfine's coaching skills first hand. During the week of practice prior to the United States' Davis Cup final against Spain in Seville, Goldfine roused players and coaches for a team run nearly every morning.

The man who sprinted through the streets of Seville is now on the fast track to fill one of the top coaching jobs in tennis. Golfdine is the leading candidate to succeed Brad Gilbert as Roddick's new coach.

In an interview with Tennis Week this (Wednesday) morning, the Davis Cup captain endorsed Goldfine for the job and said if Roddick does hire him it will be for the long run rather than the short term.

"I've heard Dean has been mentioned and I don't think that's solidified yet though I know he's at the top of the list," McEnroe told Tennis Week. "I think he realizes that Brad was great for him and that Brad helped him get to the next level, but Andy is a very intelligent guy and he's not the kind of guy who just changes coaches for the sake of change. Whoever he hires, I think, will be with him for a while. I think Andy knows what he wants, he knows what he's got to do to continue to develop as a player and I think he's looking for someone who has a full-range plan for his game and his fitness and who can push him in the way he needs to be pushed. I do know Dino well and if he does get the job I think he would be great and I think he'd do a tremendous job with Andy. Dino is a coach's coach. He's a very dedicated coach, who puts his player first."

The 43-year-old Gilbert coached Roddick to the top of tennis last year. It was the second time Gilbert, who coached Andre Agassi for eight years in a highly productive partnership that saw Agassi capture six Grand Slam championships and attain the No. 1 rank, had coached an American man to tennis' top spot. Clearly, Gilbert is a master motivator, and accomplished coach capable of devising a winning game plan who picks players with prodigious potential to work with. In his 18-month tenure as coach, Gilbert helped Roddick register a 121-26 record and win nine tournament titles.

Praising Gilbert for his work in guiding Roddick to his first Grand Slam championship at the 2003 U.S. Open and for attaining the year-end No. 1 rank last season, McEnroe said Roddick's desire to seek a new direction in his game — combined with the fact the intense Roddick shares some similar personality characteristics with Gilbert — may have contributed to his decision to seek a new coach.

"Obviously, I think Brad did a great job and took Andy to heights he hadn't gotten to yet and Brad's record as a coach speaks for itself," McEnroe said. "Brad deserves a lot of credit. I just think Andy felt he needed to take it to the next level and go in a different direction to get there."

In terms of temperament, Goldfine may be everything Gilbert isn't. An intelligent, subdued presence, Goldfine is not the type of coach you'd expect to conduct a book tour after a season on the ATP Tour, launch his own web site or become a regular on sports talk radio. Goldfine is not the high-profile presence Gilbert is and in terms of sheer vocal volume, comparing Gilbert to Goldfine is a bit like comparing Metallica to Mozart. Throughout his coaching career, Goldfine's focus has been on helping his players and he has a successful track record coaching Todd Martin, who was recently hired by Mardy Fish as his new coach, Mary Joe Fernandez, Xavier Malisse, Aaron Krickstein and 1995 ATP doubles champions Grant Connell and Patrick Gailbraith in the past.

In his eight-year tenure as Martin's coach, Goldfine helped Martin produce his best season as a pro in 1999 when Martin reached a career-high rank of No. 4 and advanced to the U.S. Open final before falling to Andre Agassi in five sets. Goldfine, who remains good friends with Martin, has the reputation among his former players as the type of man more interested in actually coaching than talking about coaching.

"Andy may be looking for someone who's a little more low key," McEnroe said. "I think he and Brad are sort of similar personalities. Obviously, Brad's a great coach and knows the game. I think Andy felt like he needed a change and he needed someone that brings the same kind of tennis mind and skills and is a little bit more low key."

In his work coaching under McEnroe on the Olympic and Davis Cup teams, Goldfine established a good rapport with all the players as a positive presence and earned their respect as a coach who brings a clear, straight forward, diligent approach to his work.

"I can tell you that I've known Dino for a while and that he really worked out well for me and all the guys on the team," McEnroe said. "I brought him in for the Olympics because we had so many guys on the team and all the guys really liked him. He's got a good personality, he's positive, and there's no B.S. about him. The guys know he's worked with an accomplished player like Todd Martin and they respect Dino. He's a real coach's coach and he loves doing it. He's in great shape and he actually gets out there and runs with the guys and leads by example. I think he's got the right personality for the job and at the end of the day it's not necessarily about the coach, but if the player is comfortable with that coach because they spend so much time together."

While McEnroe is close friends with Roddick and his family, he's also an astute analyst, who was one of the first American commentators to tab Roger Federer as a future Wimbledon champion after the Swiss stylist singlehandedly dismantled the U.S. squad in McEnroe's debut as Davis Cup captain. Asked to assess the aspects of Roddick's game he must work on to challenge the top-ranked Swiss for major titles in 2005, McEnroe said the transition game, court positioning and taking command of points earlier in rallies on the strength of his formidable forehand are all areas Roddick can address. The Davis Cup captain said Roddick himself is well aware of the measures he must take to improve and it's conceivable Roddick views this coaching change as the first step on the path to progressing as a more complete player.

"The thing that I've always stressed with Andy is obviously him coming to net more is important, but what he needs to do is transition more effectively and Dean and I have talked about it a lot," McEnroe said. "Andy needs to change his position on the court more so he's more on the offensive. That's the thing that hurts him against a Federer, Hewitt, Agassi or guys who can handle his pace — you can stand 10 feet back behind the baseline to return serve, but then you need to get your butt up on the baseline and use your strength, which is his forehand, his power and athleticism."

As a junior, Roddick played the type of grinding baseline game reminiscent of a Michael Chang and he sometimes drifts back behind the baseline and resorts to that style as a pro. The former Boca Raton resident hit a growth spurt that saw him spring up nearly six inches in little more than a year from age 15 to 16 and it was then that Roddick developed one of the most devastating serves in tennis history. While Roddick has the physique and power of a heavy hitter he occasionally regresses to the counter-punching style of his welterweight junior days.

"Andy can make some inroads on his point construction and work on hitting a huge kick serve and use his talent to take advantage of the width of the court as well as the depth," McEnroe said. "Sometimes, his mentality is hit the forehand as hard as I can from eight feet behind the baseline and against a lot of guys it's not coming back, but when it does come back he sometimes tries to hit it harder instead of moving in an taking better positioning. Andy has the talent to stretch guys out wide and use the angle as well as the depth to put you on the defensive. And that will help him play some shorter points and win matches easier as opposed to grinding away."

A physical player who possess prodigious power on his serve and forehand, Roddick grew into his body and is now going through growing pains with his game as he seeks to solidify the style that made him the world No. 1 and develop a more all-court game that can compete with his top rivals, including Federer, who has an 8-1 record against Roddick and has surrendered just one set in his last four matches with the explosive American.

Closing the gap on Federer may not have played a significant part in Roddick's decision to dismiss Gilbert. It's possible that Roddick, who grew up admiring Agassi and has played several exhibitions with his boyhood hero, has been influenced by Agassi's evolution as a player and his commitment to continuing to explore every possible avenue of self-improvement.

"I don't think the Federer factor was a huge factor in Andy's decision; I think it's more that Andy is committed to becoming the best possible player he can be and this is part of that process," McEnroe said. "He's definitely in great shape, he's committed and he still has a lot of things he can improve upon. Remember, Andy has still got the best serve in tennis, he's got a great forehand and if he comes in at the right time it will make the volley easier on him and as you've seen he handles the high volleys effectively. That's where his transition game will help."

Hiring Goldfine may well be the first approach shot of Roddick's transition to a more refined all-court attack as he continues his ongoing evolution as a former and future Grand Slam champion.

Jennay
12-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Goldfine sounds cool, only that name always makes me think of "Austin Powers: Goldmember" ... :rolls:

Hopefully he can help Andy :)

Golfnduck
12-15-2004, 09:56 PM
I can't wait to hear who Andy hires as a coach. Goldfine sounds good to me. :yeah:

J. Corwin
12-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Sounds like PMac could almost be his coach :lol: .....jk of course. ;) Can't wait for the Andy/Dean relationship to become official. :)

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm really psyched. It sounds like "Dino" (:lol: ) doesn't take any crap. That's what Andy needs. He has experience with working with top players, so it's not like he's some schmo off the street, and Andy already knows him and feels comfortable with him, so their adjustment period should be good. It sounds like he really has ideas for Andy and is a better match personality-wise. He needs someone a little more low-key I think. Plus it sounds like he's good on the mental side. if Goldfine can deal with Malisse, he should have no trouble dealing with Andy :p So it sounds like he'll give Andy a lot of what Brad did, but a better personality fit, will push him more, and hopefully will help technically too, because it sounds like he's got more credentials than Brad in that department.

I don't see a downside to this.

lol Jace, hey I mentioned that in the thread I started on GM. I think PMac would be a good coach for him b/c he seems to be able to motivate/push him. But it could never work b/c of his tv duties, etc. But Goldfine is basically PMac, considering it sounds like they're rather close and that he picked him to be the DC Asst. Coach. So I'd say this guy sounds just as good, if not better.

andyroxmysox12191
12-15-2004, 10:48 PM
:yeah: The guy sounds like he'd be a good coach for Andy so I'm all for it....let's see what Andy does now ;)

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Matt Cronin's articles are always the most provocative. And it's an interesting juxtaposition between what this says and the fact that Goldfine and PMac both say Andy wants a new coach to be pushed *harder* than what Brad did. And it doesn't jive at all with what everyone is describing Goldfine as (really tough, doesn't put up with any crap, expects a lot out of his players, etc.) And it ALSO doesn't Jive with the article that quoted Brad as saying Andy would show up at an event if they offered enough money. Really, none of this makes any sense anymore.

But whoever this "source" is who is so close to both Andy and Brad is one nice big backstabber. b/c he/she is clearly talking to anyone and everyone but is too big a coward to reveal who it is. I hope Andy and Brad know so that they can cut the person out of their lives.

I was excited about Goldfine but now I'm confused again and I hope Andy did the right thing.
===========

The Roddick-Gilbert split: Andy didn't train hard enough for Brad
Gilbert, Roddick's dad clashed severely; Andy wants to call his own shots now

Andy Roddick fired Brad Gilbert for a number of reasons: His coach didn't get along with his father, Jerry; he wants to call his own shots with a more low key coach; the two couldn't come to terms on his training schedule or a financial contract.

Sources close to Roddick and Gilbert told TennisReporters.net Wednesday that Roddick decided during the Davis Cup final to part ways with Gilbert, who coached him to the '03 US Open title and the No. 1 ranking. Gilbert was surprised by the move, but not completely stunned, given that he had asked Roddick to change his December schedule and focus more on training, rather than charity events and exhibitions. (this is the first I've heard anywhere that Brad might not have been completely shocked. Every other place says he was SHOCKED)

While Andy did make the call on the firing himself, Gilbert and Roddick's father, Jerry, did clash repeatedly over money and Andy's schedule. Although Jerry Roddick isn't overly involved in Roddick's on-court style or tactics, sources say he involves himself in every other aspect of his son's career.

"You have to go through Jerry to get things done," the source said. "Brad didn't want to do that and that's understandable because he's the coach, but the reality is that Jerry is very important to Andy and he trusts him. If you can't get along with the family, it's hard to coach a player."

The 22-year-old Roddick has also matured to the point where he wants to be in charge of his on-court play. "Andy wants to call his own shots," the source said. "Brad had great input into his game and obviously knows what he talking about, but Andy has an idea of where he wants to take his game. He needs someone who's willing to listen to him and take more of a backseat approach at times." (This 100% disagrees with everything written about Goldfine. I am confused.)

GILBERT WANTED RODDICK TO GET TO WORK
Gilbert had working on nailing down a formal contract for the past year and a half, but had been unable to come to terms with Jerry. Moreover, sources say, he wanted Roddick to spend more time retooling his game and less time hanging out with his friends at exhibitions. This week, Roddick is on a bus tour with his close friends Mardy Fish and the Bryan brothers.

"Brad sees what improvements Andy needs to make and feels he has to be willing to take two steps back to take one step forward," the source said. "Andy's worked on making improvements, but he still has a long way to go. He can't make those changes if he's not around to work with Brad in the off-season." (Of course, this is true. And we've discussed the charity things forever, but Brad isn't known as a "re-tooler")

Because of Roddick's exhibition schedule, Gilbert only had four days to work with Andy during the 2003 off-season. (This is not what I remember, but whatever. Not that it was a huge amount of time, but I remember distinctly last year that Brad went to Andy's place on Christmas Day. That would surely have been more than 4 days)

At times, Roddick is said to be willing to learn, but he can also be a very stubborn. His penchant for playing too far behind the baseline has driven all of his coaches mad. (Wasn't it Brad who had Andy stand back even FURTHER???? During almost every one of his matches, invariably, one commentator asks another "So how do you feel about Gilbert having Roddick stand so far back sometimes?" I thought this was common knowledge that part of this was Brad? I mean maybe it's one of Andy's "things" that he's stubborn about but everything I've EVER heard suggested that Brad was a huge part of that tactic as well)

"He is stubborn, which works in his favor as a competitor because he can't stand losing, but also works against him because sometimes he ignores advice," a source said.

Roddick is the midst of trying to work out a contract with US Davis Cup coach Dean Goldfine, who used to coach Todd Martin. Goldfine is easy to get along with, but is also willing to offer strong opinions if he doesn't like what his player is doing. (Ok.. yes... so....this makes the rest of the article make like no sense at all whatsoever.)

While the fast-talking duo got along well when they first started working together in the summer of 2003, Roddick and Gilbert's relationship apparently deteriorated during the past six months. Gilbert prefers to be around his players constantly, while Roddick is at the age where he prefers to spend a fair amount of his off-court time with his friends and the woman he happens to be dating. (Well, can you blame Andy for not wanting to be around Brad 24-7? :lol: no, seriously... we all know this is a problem for Andy...but, Andy is the one who did the firing. It's not like he said to Brad "This is what I'm gonna do" and Brad did not like that and left. Something just doesn't add up with Cronin's story, it just smells fishy)

Sources have told TR.net that the reason that Andre Agassi split with Gilbert back in 2002 was because Agassi's wife, former No. 1 Steffi Graf, didn't like the fact that Gilbert was constantly around and wanted more input into Andre's daily schedule. (yes, isn't this fairly common knowledge?)

Because he helped bring Agassi and Roddick to No. 1, Gilbert has a fair amount of coaching possibilities available to him. Taylor Dent appears to be on the market, and Gilbert might also begin working again with 16-year-old Tatiana Golovin, who he briefly tutored in 2002 and part of 2003.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 01:29 AM
:banghead: not supposed to be funny :o

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 01:38 AM
you too ): 3 down, 2 to go. 5 more days. I can do it. I hope.

This article really irked me. Does it make no sense to anyone else? Seriously, be honest with me.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 02:00 AM

and well, it's not that it didn't make sense... it just doesn't all add up. And I guess I just hate stories written almost solely based on anonymous sources like that, when they're about other people and those people can't/haven't defended themselves in the article

superpinkone37
12-16-2004, 02:02 AM
thanks for posting all those articles Deb :)

but yeah, that last one really did seem to kinda contradict some of what we had been hearing in most of the other articles. its confusing to feel like you know basically whats going on and then read this article, especially with that secret source lol. i'm sure we will get lots more stories as more and more news comes out, but this one in particular did seem kind of fishy, like you said.

good luck on your tests Deb, btw :)

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 02:05 AM
Well good, I'm glad it wasn't just me :p

Besides the fact that it contradicts all the other articles, he contradicts himself. You can't say Andy's stubborn, doesn't listen to advice, doesn't want to work that hard and then in the same article describe his almost certain new coach as someone who doesn't put up with any of that.

andyroxmysox12191
12-16-2004, 02:07 AM
*doing a quick reply so can get back to studying and watching MTV2 cause Making the Video is on with TBS*
thanks Deb :kiss:
Good luck on your other exams! :hug: can't wait til you come back on msn!

star
12-16-2004, 02:22 AM
Goldfiiinnnnnnnneeeeeeee
He's the man, the man with the tennis touch
A fantastic touch

such a stern teacher
he begs you to enter his world of pain
Oh, please go in!!

Golden words he will pour in your ear
and he teach you the things you can't fear

a golden boy knows when he's coached
it's a gift of worth from Mr. Goldfiinnneeeee

Other boys beware of this heart of gold
this heart is cold!

He loves only ONE
He loves GOLD!!!!

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 02:25 AM
:haha: :bigclap: :worship:

aceit
12-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Haha!

I wish someone would actually sing these and put these songs to music. They could make a tennis mix and everything. If I only had a great voice I would do it :p

star
12-16-2004, 03:02 AM
I think we should as Shirley Bassey. She did a great job the first time. :)

snaillyyy
12-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the article Deb :D and it does a fine job of making things as clear as mud :o one thing for an article to contradict other stories but this one even contradicts itself. I figured before everything was finalized we would hear numerous different versions of what happened and the reasons why, as long as it ends up being a positive change for Andy and improving the regressions we have discussed I will be happy.

Good luck with the upcoming tests :hug:

MisterQ
12-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Goldfiiinnnnnnnneeeeeeee
He's the man, the man with the tennis touch
A fantastic touch

such a stern teacher
he begs you to enter his world of pain
Oh, please go in!!

Golden words he will pour in your ear
and he teach you the things you can't fear

a golden boy knows when he's coached
it's a gift of worth from Mr. Goldfiinnneeeee

Other boys beware of this heart of gold
this heart is cold!

He loves only ONE
He loves GOLD!!!!

Brava! :clap2:

avocadoe
12-16-2004, 01:13 PM
both stars, deb and just plain, are in good voice this morning...how do I get smileys and drunken blobs to punctuate with :) that's all I got :(

LOL anti-Bradism. He gets on my nerves sitting in the stands. I haven't liked the way Andy relates to him during a match. I hope a lot of those facial expressions won't recur with Dean Goldfine. One part of the article that I'd wondered about was Andy's autonomy on court issue. When Brad's way isn't working, sometimes I think he'd stick with it, and shrug at Brad, see I told you sooooooo, rather than think himself, or do what felt spontaneous. Mike Agassi also weighed in on how he'd coach Roddick. He'd have him stop hitting 140-150's. He'd have him go for corners at 130 on first serve, and kick the corners at 125 for a second serve. He'd get him a first volley that was consistent. He says a player with that type of serve, and volley, a la Pete Sampras would beat Federer some of the time. AA'd Dad has some interesting thoughts about playing. He says a weakness of Andy's game is he doesn't have any disguise on his shots, the prep tells all. I think that is true.

I love contradictions, it means one is getting somewhere. Human being are so complex, as are events, like firing, and why, and you need to tunnel through to see the truth. Andy was disappointed with his year, Brad was annoying his Dad, Brad wasn't making Andy feel good about himself, the new coach might, or might not. If Andy feels good about having made the choice this will be a boost to him as he starts 2005. I still feel that when growing game, there is much frustration for all concerned, and that may also continue in 2005.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Brad speaks a little to a local writer... thanks Andy, you fired Brad and now we ALL have to listen to him on ESPN. oh and thanks for sharing about the hangnail.

and, Mr. Albee, do your research first... I don't think Brad really cares about being home on Christmas :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
================
Dave Albee: Gilbert isn't stressing about loss of Roddick

IF SUPERSTAR tennis coach Brad Gilbert was upset about being suddenly and unceremoniously dismissed over the weekend by superstar tennis player Andy Roddick, he's hiding it well.
About the only thing that was bothering Gilbert yesterday was a stinging hangnail his wife, Kim, was carefully trying to clip in their home in San Rafael.

"I'm over it. I'm not thinking about it in any way," said Gilbert of the abrupt firing, not the hangnail removal. "It's not like a team sport. In tennis, I work for him. After 18 months, he wasn't feeling it. He's the one (who makes the decisions)."

Gilbert, who in his playing days wrote the autobiography "Winning Ugly," ought to write a sequel now. Perhaps this one should be entitled "Fired Ugly."

The 22-year-old Roddick, who won his first Grand Slam title (the 2003 U.S. Open) and climbed to the No. 1 ranked player in the world with Gilbert as his coach, gave no juicy details for unexpectedly firing him. In a statement released Monday through his representative, SFX Sports Group, Roddick said the split was "based on what I think is best for my game at this time. Any more on this situation is a private matter between coach and player."

The 43-year-old Gilbert, an Oakland Raiders fan, countered with a dueling statement on his jazzy Web site - BradGilberttennis.com - to address his fans, which he labels "The BG Nation."

"While I believe that there was still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way," Gilbert said in his statement.

So there. This is not Kobe lashing out at Phil, or Shaq or Karl in a verbal volley of pointed words.

Pro tennis players seemingly change coaches as often as planes. It is the second time in three years that Gilbert, a well-rounded sports personality, has been let go as a coach. He guided Andre Agassi to six of his eight Grand Slam titles before BG and AA parted ways on the court and they're A-OK.

However, this firing has more smoke behind it. It is tennis' version of Tiger dumping Butch Harmon. Agassi's decision to replace Gilbert as his coach was gradual and gracious.

"We had a great run of eight years. It was time. He (Agassi) probably needed a new voice to work with him," Gilbert said yesterday. "I thought we (Gilbert and Roddick) were just getting started. He wanted to do things a little different. I'm not jumping up and down about it."

Gilbert likened the situation to Notre Dame recently firing Tyrone Willingham as its head football coach. Everyone's bound to land on their feet with a smile on their face.

"Even though he got fired, they have someone else now and he (Willingham) already got another job," Gilbert said.

Gilbert, who waited 18 months after Agassi fired him before being hired by Roddick, doesn't have another job yet, but Roddick evidently moved quickly to replace Gilbert. There were several reports yesterday indicating Roddick, a solid No. 2 in the world, has hired U.S. Davis Cup assistant coach Dean Goldfine, Todd Martin's former coach. Goldfine, speaking to the Sun-Sentinel in Florida, implied he would bring a lower profile and smaller ego to the Roddick camp than Gilbert.

What Goldfine needs to bring is an idea on how Roddick can beat Roger Federer, the No. 1 ranked player in the world. Roddick is 1-8 against him.

Gilbert, to his credit, refused to be drawn to the net, so to speak. He took the high road. He didn't express any outward bitterness.

"I'm not like that," he said.

Instead, Gilbert will concentrate on his family, which keeps him as busy as a ball boy. He and Kim have three children attending three different schools. Their oldest son, Zak, recently earned his driver's license.

"I'm coaching here at the house," Gilbert said. "If I get a great situation (to coach tennis) again, I'll definitely do it. I'm not Jones-ing it like I've got to do it tomorrow."

The best news is Gilbert will be home for the holidays this year. Last year, he left on Christmas day to fly to Florida to begin preparing Roddick for the Australian Open. Gilbert will be working for ESPN this time around, covering the Australian Open. He will provide the cable sports network with analysis from Down Under without tapering it, which he did as Roddick's coach.

"I'll let it (commentary) fly a little more," Gilbert said. "I've got no pressure. I can have fun."

As much fun as anyone who ever took a blindside hit like Gilbert.

"I'm not stressing," he said.

He shouldn't. Gilbert did his job with Roddick exceptionally well before losing it. He'll get another.

Havok
12-16-2004, 05:07 PM
I hope he only does those little crap-ass reviews and shit like that, not actually commentate. If he does end up commentating with the likes of Carillo and PMac, they would probably kick him out before the 2 weeks are up.:lol: I miss Courier at the AO, hope he's still there.

Golfnduck
12-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Great, now we have to listen to Brad commentate. I'd rather have John McEnroe or PMac, someone less self-conceded.

Golfnduck
12-16-2004, 09:31 PM
I hope Mardy's wrist is alright. As long as it is nothing serious. I'm glad that Andy beat him pretty easily with a cold.

andyroxmysox12191
12-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Oh yay Brad commentating...what joy!

Jennay
12-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the article Deb :)

Instead, Gilbert will concentrate on his family, which keeps him as busy as a ball boy. He and Kim have three children attending three different schools. Their oldest son, Zak, recently earned his driver's license.
Zak! :smooch: :hug: :hearts:

superpinkone37
12-17-2004, 12:55 AM
thanks for the article Deb :kiss:

Deboogle!.
12-17-2004, 12:58 AM

Watch out I'll tell Nic you're cheeeeeating!

superpinkone37
12-17-2004, 01:07 AM

hehe, i remember seeing some pictures of him over the summer and Zak is pretty cute :hearts:

andyroxmysox12191
12-17-2004, 02:24 AM
ZAK!!!!!!!!!!!! HES MINE JEN! YOU TOOK THOMAS AWAY :ras: :hearts:

heya
12-17-2004, 05:14 AM
Andy- GET disciplined & BE YOUR OWN MAN!
NO BAD FITNESS & Sleep DEPRIVATION again!

Stop doing many long exhibitions when u should be concerned with
your horrendous game.
ROLY-POLY boy told us that he was a PATRIOTIC DAVIS CUP/OLYMPIC MEMBER.
Did he fight to win?????
NOOO, he gave up because he was exhausted.
NO lazy, 140 mph serves
& stupid court positioning!!!!! TIRED YET, Andy?!

The Roddick-Gilbert split: Andy didn't train hard enough for Brad
Gilbert, Roddick's dad clashed severely; Andy wants to call his own shots now
http://www.tennisreporters.net/news_121504.html

Art Seitz
Andy Roddick reportedly decided to dump Brad Gilbert within the last few weeks.
Andy Roddick fired Brad Gilbert for a number of reasons: His coach didn't get along with his father, Jerry; he wants to call his own shots with a more low key coach; the two couldn't come to terms on his training schedule or a financial contract.

Sources close to Roddick and Gilbert told TennisReporters.net Wednesday that Roddick decided during the Davis Cup final to part ways with Gilbert, who coached him to the '03 US Open title and the No. 1 ranking. Gilbert was surprised by the move, but not completely stunned, given that he had asked Roddick to change his December schedule and focus more on training, rather than charity events and exhibitions.

While Andy did make the call on the firing himself, Gilbert and Roddick's father, Jerry, did clash repeatedly over money and Andy's schedule. Although Jerry Roddick isn't overly involved in Roddick's on-court style or tactics, sources say he involves himself in every other aspect of his son's career.

"You have to go through Jerry to get things done," the source said. "Brad didn't want to do that and that's understandable because he's the coach, but the reality is that Jerry is very important to Andy and he trusts him. If you can't get along with the family, it's hard to coach a player."

The 22-year-old Roddick has also matured to the point where he wants to be in charge of his on-court play. "Andy wants to call his own shots," the source said. "Brad had great input into his game and obviously knows what he talking about, but Andy has an idea of where he wants to take his game. He needs someone who's willing to listen to him and take more of a backseat approach at times."

GILBERT WANTED RODDICK TO GET TO WORK
Gilbert had working on nailing down a formal contract for the past year and a half, but had been unable to come to terms with Jerry. Moreover, sources say, he wanted Roddick to spend more time retooling his game and less time hanging out with his friends at exhibitions. This week, Roddick is on a bus tour with his close friends Mardy Fish and the Bryan brothers.

Fred Mullane/Camerawork USA
Brad Gilbert was one of the tour's craftiest players.
"Brad sees what improvements Andy needs to make and feels he has to be willing to take two steps back to take one step forward," the source said. "Andy's worked on making improvements, but he still has a long way to go. He can't make those changes if he's not around to work with Brad in the off-season."

Because of Roddick's exhibition schedule, Gilbert only had four days to work with Andy during the 2003 off-season.
At times, Roddick is said to be willing to learn, but he can also be a very stubborn. His penchant for playing too far behind the baseline has driven all of his coaches mad.

"He is stubborn, which works in his favor as a competitor because he can't stand losing, but also works against him because sometimes he ignores advice," a source said.

Roddick is the midst of trying to work out a contract with US Davis Cup coach Dean Goldfine, who used to coach Todd Martin. Goldfine is easy to get along with, but is also willing to offer strong opinions if he doesn't like what his player is doing.

While the fast-talking duo got along well when they first started working together in the summer of 2003, Roddick and Gilbert's relationship apparently deteriorated during the past six months. Gilbert prefers to be around his players constantly, while Roddick is at the age where he prefers to spend a fair amount of his off-court time with his friends and the woman he happens to be dating.

Sources have told TR.net that the reason that Andre Agassi split with Gilbert back in 2002 was because Agassi's wife, former No. 1 Steffi Graf, didn't like the fact that Gilbert was constantly around and wanted more input into Andre's daily schedule.

Because he helped bring Agassi and Roddick to No. 1, Gilbert has a fair amount of coaching possibilities available to him. Taylor Dent appears to be on the market, and Gilbert might also begin working again with 16-year-old Tatiana Golovin, who he briefly tutored in 2002 and part of 2003.

Rick V
12-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Andy needs a coach who can teach stroke production. Specifically, Andy needs to learn how to properly hit a volley (forehand and backhand), the backhand groundstroke, and the return of serve. These 3 areas can be vastly improved upon by Andy. His stroke production for those 3 shots is rather poor -he is getting by purely on talent on those up to this point. If he learns the technical end his game can jump up another 20%. Brad is a head and strategy coach - not a stroke production coach. Did you ever take a look at how Brad himself struck the ball?????? He didn't have a clue about that. Andy needs this. Hopefully he will hire a coach who can help him with this.

heya
12-17-2004, 09:22 AM
McEnroe said. "I brought him in for the Olympics because we had so many guys on the team and all the guys really liked him. He's got a good personality, he's positive, and there's no B.S. about him. The guys know he's worked with an accomplished player like Todd Martin and they respect Dino. He's a real coach's coach and he loves doing it. He's in great shape and he actually gets out there and runs with the guys and leads by example. :rolleyes:

Invariably, Andy got really passive & intimidated by others.
It's impossible to do your best & be able to improvise your shots when
you keep thinking:
"I played poorly, but I keep saying that I did well.
I don't want to take the ball earlier because I'll miss.
I hit faster even if I miss & get tired.
I don't have confidence to have stingy defense.
I don't want to defend the whole court.
I only want to return the ball from the baseline. If there are angles and dropshots, I let them go.
I have no chance. I don't think I can do much."

Andy became an infant...ok :o
McEnroe lied that Andy matured with Gilbert.
Mary Carillo was sure that Gilbert was a permanent coach.

J. Corwin
12-17-2004, 10:43 AM
So it looks like Andy and Brad DID part on bad terms sorta. I was gonna get a lil annoyed that Andy doesn't work harder during the off-season and for being so stubborn...but then I realized that Cronin's article offered up so many contradictions to past stuff that I just thought "whatever" lol. We'll see, we'll see...

star
12-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Yup. We will have to see what we see.

I still think it was a gutsy move for Andy. All the "experts" are saying Brad is a great coach etc. etc. So, if Andy goes downhill now, he'll take the blame for getting rid of Brad. If Andy wanted to play it safe, it would have stuck with Brad. But, he's carving a new path for himself and leaping into the unknown. It's risky and perhaps he'll fall on his face, but I like it that he isn't timid.

Deboogle!.
12-17-2004, 02:48 PM
me too, star! :) Andy said a teeny bit more about the whole thing. from the Tennessean
====

Roddick says time was right to make coaching change

Andy Roddick will begin the 2005 season with a new coach, following his decision last week to part ways with Brad Gilbert after 1½ years.

The move was a surprise to some, since Roddick posted a 74-18 record last year. He also earned the No. 1 ranking in 2003 and captured his only Grand Slam, the 2003 U.S. Open, under Gilbert's guidance.

''It was tough, but it was time for Brad and I to go our different ways,'' Roddick said Tuesday. ''I think he's one of the greatest coaches in the world and I wish him the best.''

Tennis commentator Patrick McEnroe, who's also the U.S. Davis Cup captain, said he thinks Roddick needed a change for the sake of chemistry.

''It is a significant move because of what Brad brought to the table and what he'd helped Andy attain,'' McEnroe said. ''But tennis is difficult because it's such a one-on-one sport. You don't get the distance you might in basketball or football, where there are other assistants to go to if you might have a rift with one coach.

''I think Andy realizes what Brad brought, but he also realizes they had their differences. And when you have thoughts like that, it's really hard to listen to the technical stuff.''

Roddick hasn't named a new coach yet, but at least one media outlet reported he's reached agreement with Dean Goldfine, an assistant with the U.S. Davis Cup and Olympic teams.

''I think Andy just felt like he needed a different voice and maybe a little more low-key guy than Brad,'' McEnroe said. ''Dean has a good mind, the respect of the guys, he's a hard worker and he's pretty low-key, so that wouldn't surprise me.''

—JOHN GLENNON

superpinkone37
12-17-2004, 07:55 PM
thanks Deb :kiss:

Golfnduck
12-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the article Deb!!!

Jennay
12-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Watch out I'll tell Nic you're cheeeeeating!
You realize I haven't spoken to him in ages.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 01:26 AM
You realize I haven't spoken to him in ages.

:o:o well, why the F not!!?!

Jennay
12-18-2004, 01:50 AM
I was talking to Jimmy, a guy I play tennis with, about Andy and his coaching change.
Some of his comments:

"What a dumbass, Gilbert made him."
"He's only a serve and forehand anyway."
"Stupid decision."

I thought he would fit in nicely at MTF :)

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 01:54 AM
:haha: yeah he probably could. And Brad absolutely did not make him, even people here are saying that lol. Actually it's been interesting to see what people have said that Tarik's work with Andy has been underrated and Brad's has been overrated. Interesting food for thought.

This is not the same Jimmy that you went out with for a while and was like harrassing you, is it? :o

Jennay
12-18-2004, 01:58 AM
And now he is telling me that I need to get on the court more :o
Sorry I'm not homeschooled and have 7 hours of my day free.

Yes, that would be the same Jimmy.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 02:03 AM
:o:o :smash: didn't I tell you stay away from that young man MONTHS AGO???????? :fiery:

Jennay
12-18-2004, 02:06 AM
Do I ever listen to you? :o

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 02:06 AM
No :o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Maybe you should :smash:

Jennay
12-18-2004, 02:08 AM
That's ok :) ;)

Havok
12-18-2004, 03:02 AM
*coughs* Don't call him a young man, he's one of those stupid hormonal teens.

heya
12-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Mr. I NEED ANDY FOR DAVIS CUP :tears: PMc insincerely "PREDICTED"
(to please Dishonest ESPN & its sponsors), that Andy would be A PRIME CONTENDER at Australian Open.
Then, he bragged that the USO CROWD/COURT/WIND would make ANDY CHAMPION.
Did he care that Andy's reputation rests on winning OLYMPIC/GRAND SLAM/Tier I CHAMPIONSHIPS, not DAVIS CUP?
We've seen ANDY's frustrating body language
The U.S. crowd looked upset as Andy gave up easily & stopped caring when he
got tired in SPAIN.

Is it really good to lose a lot, slip out of the top 5 & lose a DAVIS CUP tie any time in the future???? Unlike before, Andy needs to be strong & prepared.

TV analysts enjoyed mocking Andy's supposed limited talent.
Carillo thinks that Andy talks non-stop now.
She added, "He was a boy with emotions seeping out of his pores and he had an inability to form full sentences."

Of course, McEnroe liked hearing that 'cuz:
1. When Andy takes tennis seriously & plays well, PMc can promote himself as Andy's mentor. :o :rolleyes:

2. He has an excuse to put God, Mosquito, Moya, Nadal, Ferrero, Hewitt, Safin.etc. on pedestals while stabbing Andy in the back with comments like "they don't use
one-dimensional bullies who need EXTRA EFFORT. They're not too big & tall."

3. John McEnroe can distract Andy with BASEBALL at the USO.
It's alright...John has nothing to lose.

missroddickfan
12-18-2004, 10:55 AM
sorry if i dont know, but has andy already kept a new coach??

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 03:04 PM
missroddickfan, it looks like it'll probably be US Davis Cup assistant coach, Dean Goldfine - he coached Todd Martin for a long time.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 11:15 PM
it's official.
======
Breaking News from Team Roddick
By Staff
2004-12-18
It is official, Andy Roddick has hired Dean Goldfine as his coach effective immediately. Rumors have been circulating for some time, in fact, Davis Cup Captain, Patrick McEnroe, was very supportive of this possibility and was quoted last Thursday: "I've heard Dean has been mentioned and I don't think that's solidified yet though I know he's at the top of the list," McEnroe told Tennis Week. "I think he realizes that Brad was great for him and that Brad helped him get to the next level, but Andy is a very intelligent guy and he's not the kind of guy who just changes coaches for the sake of change. Whoever he hires, I think, will be with him for a while. I think Andy knows what he wants, he knows what he's got to do to continue to develop as a player and I think he's looking for someone who has a full-range plan for his game and his fitness and who can push him in the way he needs to be pushed. I do know Dino well and if he does get the job I think he would be great and I think he'd do a tremendous job with Andy. Dino is a coach's coach. He's a very dedicated coach, who puts his player first."

Preliminary plans include training sessions in Florida to begin preparations for the Australian Open in January. :yeah:

Andy’s agent, Ken Meyerson of SFX Sports Group, is excited about the hiring of Goldfine and is anticipating the up-coming season.

Go Andy – Go Dean – Good Luck in 2005!

superpinkone37
12-18-2004, 11:28 PM
im excitesd, but sooo nervous....

thanks for the news Deb :)

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 11:31 PM
yea I'm nervous but optimistic. I'm glad he will be in Florida instead of Texas. Then again it's a little too cold to be in Texas at this time of year. I think that's a good thing, being in Florida I mean. Hopefully they work hard :)

snaillyyy
12-18-2004, 11:31 PM
I feel the same way Danielle, nervous that things work out for the good, but excited that it might just help Andy improve :)

J. Corwin
12-18-2004, 11:40 PM
A new chapter in Andy's career is about to begin....I can't wait. :) Now I'm really really looking forward to 2005. :cool:

aceit
12-18-2004, 11:43 PM
I really can't wait to see how he preforms this year. Especially at the AO with Gilbert comentating.

andyroxmysox12191
12-18-2004, 11:51 PM
:kiss: Deb...what would we ever do without you?!
Here's to hoping "Dino" can do great things with Andy and that my nervousness goes away! *insert drinking smilie here*

Golfnduck
12-19-2004, 12:18 AM
This is what I've been waiting for. I'm glad Andy will be training in Florida also. I can't wait for AO!!!

Havok
12-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Training in Florida is better, much more players to practice with, and good ones as well, not shit players.

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 01:03 AM
Yea, maybe he and Mardy will practice together ;)

Havok
12-19-2004, 01:08 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of Grosjean, you know a good player.:p

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 01:09 AM
:lol: Maybe him too :p

aceit
12-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Where in FL is he training? Haha, that sounds stalker-ish, but I'm going to FL in 5 days for winter break and I'm just curious if anyone knows.

Wow that really did come off sounding like a crazed fan.

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 01:41 AM
I have no clue... I mean he lives in Boca and they have a full tennis court at his house so they might be there? or... I dunno... lol

aceit
12-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Lol. I knew he had a place in Boca. And I'm going to stay in Boca for 4 days because I'm going to the Evert Tennis Academy for a 4 day clinic.

This is OT, but I'm so addicted to this place now. I've been at my computer today for WAAAAY too long. :p

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 01:56 AM
Well then look for him around town, you might see him!! ;)

And yes, MTF is addictive. just look at my post count *runs away embarrassed*

aceit
12-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Gosh, I would be starstruck if I saw Andy.

47.07 posts per day << Does anyone top that? :worship: :p

Ok, time to actually get up out of the chair and sink into my tv room couch and watch Andy Roddick on SNL, which is my total addiction. :wavey:

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 02:07 AM
y'know, Andy walked literally right past my mom and me twice in Scottsdale... he was just with Brad, the two of them... he's just a normal guy. I was just like wow he's tall and big. That was my first reaction :haha: :haha: :haha:

star
12-19-2004, 04:49 AM
Lol. I knew he had a place in Boca. And I'm going to stay in Boca for 4 days because I'm going to the Evert Tennis Academy for a 4 day clinic.

This is OT, but I'm so addicted to this place now. I've been at my computer today for WAAAAY too long. :p

:bigclap:

That's so exciting that you are going to a clinic at the Evert Academy! Let us know what it is like please. :)

aceit
12-19-2004, 04:56 AM
I'm so excited you have no idea. Except, I'm kind of thinking that I'll be the worst one there, but hopefully not. I have no idea what to expect. :p I'll give a full update. If I like it (which I'm sure I will) I think I'll be going there in the summer too. :bounce: I'm so determined to get much better.

Anyway.... do most people here play tennis? Or used to play tennis? Or do you just like watching it. Wow, its 12 at night and I'm so awake.

star
12-19-2004, 05:05 AM
I don't play tennis but several on here do. Superpink and Jennay are on teams at their schools (I think this is right) Mister Q and Zoltan play. I'm not sure about all the others.

Plus.... I'm sure you won't be the worst one. :hug: :hug:

And even if you are, I'm sure you will leave as "most improved." :)
'

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 05:07 AM
I can't play to save my life, I tried a long time ago, it's just very very bad.

aceit, I'm sure you'll kick BUTT!!!

J. Corwin
12-19-2004, 05:16 AM
I play tennis but not too great at it. :) Lost a set 6-3 to my friend Dan today cuz I sucked at converting game points and break points. :( :o I swear, 40-15, I think ok, I'm gonna hold serve....then of course that games goes to several deuces and I lose serve. :retard:

aceit
12-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Haha thanks star & debstah!

Jackson - I hate that too. It's like your so close but then don't win it. I know the feeling. :p Yet it's nice to come back from 15-40 down and break them. :) You'll get Dan next time.

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 05:28 AM
love your avatar, aceit :D

aceit
12-19-2004, 05:32 AM
Thanks. I love yours too. I actually think that my grandmother has that same exact one, and maybe my parents have that one downstairs. I'll go check once I post this. Anyway, I was trying to make an avatar on paint but then I gave up because I had no clue how the heck to save with the right MB and such. :p

J. Corwin
12-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Haha thanks star & debstah!

Jackson - I hate that too. It's like your so close but then don't win it. I know the feeling. :p Yet it's nice to come back from 15-40 down and break them. :) You'll get Dan next time.

I've also come back from 0-40 only to reach deuce or Ad and then get broken anyway. :p And I never win a tiebreak against this guy either. :o

It's psychological I tell ya :p I'm his bitch. :tape:

aceit
12-19-2004, 05:35 AM
I'm his bitch. :tape:

Kind of like Andy is Rogers? :p

aceit
12-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Holy crap. I have that crystal duck, Debstah! :haha: :haha: And I also have one that is a swimming duck. Now I have Andy locked up forever in my cabinet.

heya
12-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Q. You fought so hard to get into both tiebreaks. Towards the end of both of them, a lot of unforced errors. Was it the pressure, the situation?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. You know, I felt like I had to go for my shots. I'm not going to beat these guys just sliding around playing loopers and doing all types of that on this surface. I'm not that good on the surface yet. You know, I went for my shots, and I just missed them. Pretty much there, what you see is what you get.
The DC interviews are apalling.
Well, at least some fans who play tennis don't have a bad attitude like Andy's...

CAPTAIN McENROE:
I think Andre and Pete were content to let other players do the work earlier on.
I guess Andy likes to lose all year long like this year.
How dare he skip a DC tie like Andre & Pete!!!!
Winning Slams involve good fitness & time to train.
Don't be similar to Andre and Pete. :yeah:

But I think Andy lives for it. It's his choice, he wants to be a part of it, and I don't see a problem with that. Andy has to make his own choices and if he wants to sacrifice some of his own singles results for that, I don't think anyone should tell him not to.

being a good friend and a dedicated and great team player might be something to be just as proud of as how many singles titles you won.

Iheartandy&roger
12-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Hopefully this is a good move.

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 07:57 AM
I play tennis but not too great at it. :) Lost a set 6-3 to my friend Dan today cuz I sucked at converting game points and break points. :( :o I swear, 40-15, I think ok, I'm gonna hold serve....then of course that games goes to several deuces and I lose serve. :retard:

i am getting so awful at the whole mental thing, for some reason i and go up 3-love on players i had always lost badly too then to think omg, i gonna beat this guy, and then lose it like 6-4 :o i swear im turning into myskina or something...or mardy during DC :o

but for a good three weeks or so in the middle of the season, something happened and i was serving soooo good and i felt like andy, going down love-40 and coming back with four or five GREAT serves lol. i was loving those few weeks, and then come league finals and i couldnt serve for anything, go figure. anyways, wow, thinking about this just reminds me of all the stuff i am really gonna have to work on lol

Jennay
12-19-2004, 05:00 PM
i am getting so awful at the whole mental thing, for some reason i and go up 3-love on players i had always lost badly too then to think omg, i gonna beat this guy, and then lose it like 6-4 :o i swear im turning into myskina or something...or mardy during DC :o

but for a good three weeks or so in the middle of the season, something happened and i was serving soooo good and i felt like andy, going down love-40 and coming back with four or five GREAT serves lol. i was loving those few weeks, and then come league finals and i couldnt serve for anything, go figure. anyways, wow, thinking about this just reminds me of all the stuff i am really gonna have to work on lol
I frigging hate going up a couple of breaks and then losing :smash: :smash:

aceit
12-19-2004, 06:16 PM

Yeah. I've served for the match once and ended up losing it once in a doubles match against one of the top teams in the state. We ended up winning overall (the team), but I thought my coach was going to kill us. It was dissapointing. :o

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 06:25 PM

yep. :smash: the mental thing is one of my biggest problems, but its not something you can really practice. just playing lots of big matches and stuff is all you can do i guess. lol aceit, i thought my coach was gonna kill me there a couple of times too lol. :lol:

Jennay
12-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Yeah. I've served for the match once and ended up losing it once in a doubles match against one of the top teams in the state. We ended up winning overall (the team), but I thought my coach was going to kill us. It was dissapointing. :o
How about serving for the match three times then losing it in a tie-break :o

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 06:28 PM
How about serving for the match three times then losing it in a tie-break :o

awwwww. i dont know if i have done that, i just get the breaks early and then lose them just as quickly as soon as i feel im in control. i start thinking ahead too, i think. like i'll be thinking to myslef, okay, i will hold here because i am already up 30-love and then i'll do this, and this.....thats probably a reason i lose those leads :o

Jennay
12-19-2004, 06:32 PM
awwwww. i dont know if i have done that, i just get the breaks early and then lose them just as quickly as soon as i feel im in control. i start thinking ahead too, i think. like i'll be thinking to myslef, okay, i will hold here because i am already up 30-love and then i'll do this, and this.....thats probably a reason i lose those leads :o
Yes, I have done that too.
With me.. well, I'll give a situation.
I'm up a few breaks, I feel I'm in the lead, and I could win easily. My game drops just enough, since I think I'm in control, and my opponent takes advantage of that. Then when he/she comes back, I start playing tentatively because I don't want to lose.

I have to stop doing that for sure. My best bet is to try to keep a level of play throughout a whole match :)

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 06:39 PM
exactly. once i get in the lead and think im gonna win i start cruising, and my level of play stops. and then of course when the other player is coming back, exactly like you said, my play is more tentative and that never works....but for some reason i always resort to that in those situations, which seem to be occuring more frequently. go figure.

Jennay
12-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Yeah.. it's really frustrating. Especially when you want to be aggressive but you aren't really confident enough in your shots to go for it. :( And when you do, it doesn't work.

aceit
12-19-2004, 06:59 PM
lol aceit, i thought my coach was gonna kill me there a couple of times too lol. :lol:

My coach tells us what we are doing wrong when we are up 5-O in the 2nd about to double bagel our opponent... :rolleyes:

Jennay
12-19-2004, 07:04 PM
My coach tells us what we are doing wrong when we are up 5-O in the 2nd about to double bagel our opponent... :rolleyes:
Ouch :lol:

aceit
12-19-2004, 07:13 PM
He's so annoying. My partner and I were at states and we were up against the number 3 seed in the third round (we werent seeded). And we won the first set, lost the second. My partner is very emotional towards what my coach says even thought I just ignore him. Before the third set, we had a 10 minute break to talk to our coach, bathroom break, whatever. Since his words were affecting my partner so much and totally messing up our concintration, I told him that it was a little distracting when he yelled out things. Well, after that he shut up, we won the match, and got to the semis of a state tournament we weren't even seeded in. That's my proud story. :p

Jennay
12-19-2004, 07:14 PM
He's so annoying. My partner and I were at states and we were up against the number 3 seed in the third round (we werent seeded). And we won the first set, lost the second. My partner is very emotional towards what my coach says even thought I just ignore him. Before the third set, we had a 10 minute break to talk to our coach, bathroom break, whatever. Since his words were affecting my partner so much and totally messing up our concintration, I told him that it was a little distracting when he yelled out things. Well, after that he shut up, we won the match, and got to the semis of a state tournament we weren't even seeded in. That's my proud story. :p
:rocker2:

aceit
12-19-2004, 07:15 PM
:rocker2:

:dance:

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 07:19 PM

wow, that awesome!! :bounce:

aceit
12-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks! :wavey:

star
12-19-2004, 08:04 PM

:bigclap: Way to stand up for yourself and your teammate. :)

aceit
12-19-2004, 08:20 PM
:bigclap: Way to stand up for yourself and your teammate. :)

Thanks! It was fun after he backed off. :woohoo:

J. Corwin
12-19-2004, 10:55 PM

Way to go! Yeehaw! :woohoo:

All this talk about choking away a match...sounds familiar lol. I'd be up 3-0 or I'd be serving for the set at 5-4 and I'd lose the set in a TB. And I used to beat this guy routinely too.

Deboogle!.
12-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Roddick regroups
After disappointing '04, world's No. 2 makes a not-so-surprising change

You will probably get this question a hundred times this week, but here goes: What do you make of the sudden, unexpected coaching switches in Andy Roddick's camp?
-- Lilas Pratt, Marietta, Ga.

This was our equivalent to offseason hot stove chatter. Can't say the move was a total shock: Roddick's 2004 was not a disaster, but it didn't he didn't build much on his 2003. He failed to win a Slam, had a few genuinely bad losses (the U.S. Open quarterfinal match against Joachim Johansson; the Masters Cup Drubbing at the hands of Lleyton Hewitt) and the gap divided Roddick and Roger Federer widened into a canyon. That in itself is grounds for a "personnel move" and when Brad Gilbert failed to show up in Seville, the prose was on the wall.

By accident or design, Gilbert has branded himself as the Phil Jackson of tennis, a deep thinker who brings a mystique that eludes everyone else. Nothing could be further from the truth. Gilbert is more like the George Karl of tennis. He is not about Zen aphorisms and symbolism-rich triangle offenses. He's a straightforward, leave-no-thought-unexpressed kid of guy who keeps the game plan simple and uses Bay Area sports lore as his main source of metaphor. At the time he was hired, Gilbert was just what Roddick needed. But both Roddick and Gilbert are strong personalities and it's easy to see the chemistry combusting -- especially when the losses mount and the guy who is supposed to be your rival is winning Slams without an aide-de-camp.

A few points. Like Karl, Gilbert will always be in demand, either as a coach or in the broadcast booth. Good to see Roddick taking immediate steps to fill coaching void by bringing Dean Goldfine aboard.. Federer is an otherwordly player who can make a go of it on his own. Roddick still has too many rough edges -- not least his court positioning -- to fly solo. Finally, a weird piece of symmetry: Gilbert was preparing to rent a Madden Cruiser and tour the West with his family when Roddick summoned him in the summer of 2003. Last week Gilbert was fired as Roddick commenced his bus tour through Middle America.

aceit
12-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks! :)

smucav
12-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Andy isn't the only one making a coaching change:

The Scoop:
MONDAY, DECEMBER 20
Roddick hires Goldfine as coach
Coaching merry-go-round; Harkleroad, Bogey marry
By Matthew Cronin, TR.net

Andy Roddick officially hired Dean Goldfine as his coach on Monday. Roddick announced the hiring of the Davis Cup coach on his web site.

Goldfine most recently worked with Todd Martin, who retired in September. Roddick just parted ways with Brad Gilbert. … TR.net has also learned that Taylor Dent and Robby Ginepri have combined to hire the USTA's Francisco Montana as their coach. Montana will still work with the USTA....Mardy Fish is now coached by Martin, but has also tabbed former doubles player Scott Humphries as his traveling coach. … Fresno, Calif.'s Brad Stine, who once coached Fish, is now coaching Sebastien Grosjean. … Tarik Benhabiles, who once coached Roddick, has been coaching Orange Bowl winner Timothy Neilly. … Alexa Glatch, who reached the Orange Bowl semis, hired former USTA coach Katie Schlukebir as her full-time tutor back in May.

Despite a painful summer breakup, Ashley Harkleroad and Alex Bogomolov got back together and were married in early December in her Georgia hometown. http://www.tennisreporters.net/index.html

Deboogle!.
12-21-2004, 05:43 AM
I read that earlier today... Robby and Taylor getting the same coach? like... what???? and Brad Stine coached Taylor for a while, if he coached Mardy it was a long time ago...

superpinkone37
12-21-2004, 05:46 AM
it will be interesting to see all these new changes actually take effect in the new year :)

Fumus
12-22-2004, 05:59 AM
Gilbert is fired, but is it really all that bad?

What Andy needs from a coach is someone who is going to improve his strokes, technique, and physical game play. I think Brad had Andy playing some of the cleanest tennis on the tour this year. The mental aspect wasn't what was missing. Andy just got rocked by Fed in the physical world, not the mental one. Some of the shots that Andy is hitting physically need to improve. Brad Gilbert is an expert in many things but, strokes, technique, and the other physical aspects of the game he is not.

I think what seperated Roger from Andy in 2004 is the fact that Roger can play great on defense. When Andy is on the attack I am not sure that there is anyone on the tour with bigger weapons. The problem is when Andy is on his backfoot or in a situation where a defense shot is needed he can't produce like Roger. Often Andy does a funny looking forehand slice, or hits an off balanced shot with so little pace it is easily dispatched.

Brad Gilbert was my favorite coach before Andy and will be my favorite coach after Andy. I think he is probably the best coach out there and he is the only coach to bring two men's tennis players to number 1. Andy's game doesn't need minor conservative changes to make him more consistant at winning like Andre did. Andy needs an overhall in a few key areas and I don't think Brad could give him that.

Deboogle!.
12-31-2004, 03:29 AM
For those who are interested.... Brad pleads the 5th on a lot of questions, but ultimately he's right that only time will tell if it was the right decision.
=========
Gilbert doesn't deny reports of conflict with Roddick's dad;
interested in coaching Golovin

Brad: 'For players like Sampras, Agassi, Federer and Roddick, a good year is winning one Grand Slam'

Brad Gilbert was spending part of Thursday shucking crabs and hanging with his wife and three kids, but, even though he could feel the claws scratching beneath his fingernails, he wouldn't let Andy Roddick completely have it for firing him two weeks ago.

Still, Gilbert is still partial shock over what occurred, when Roddick pulled the plug on their 17-month-old relationship.

"I was completely caught off guard. I couldn't see any signs that it was coming," Gilbert told TennisReporters.net. "But I stand by my record with Andy. It was pretty good."

Gilbert said he's not going to walk around swanky Marin County, California, looking like "Bitter Bob," but it's clear he thought his firing was premature. Gilbert coached Roddick to the '03 US Open title and the 2003 year-end No. 1 ranking.

"We'll know in year or two from now when we see what his results are, whether Andy made the right decision," said Gilbert. "He still has improvements to make and whether he makes those with someone else: only time will tell."

Last week, Roddick hired US Davis Cup coach Dean Goldfine as his new coach.

DOESN'T DENY TR.NET REPORT
While Gilbert wouldn't directly comment on TR.net reports for the reasoning for his firing, he wouldn't deny them, either. Two weeks ago, TR.net reported that Roddick fired Gilbert because his coach didn't get along with his father, Jerry; that he wants to call his own shots with a more low key coach; and because the two couldn't come to terms on his training schedule or a financial contract.

While Andy did make the call on the firing himself, Gilbert and Roddick's father, Jerry, did clash repeatedly over money and Andy's schedule. Although Jerry Roddick isn't overly involved in Roddick's on-court style or tactics, sources say he involves himself in every other aspect of his son's career. "You have to go through Jerry to get things done," the source said. "Brad didn't want to do that and that's understandable because he's the coach. But the reality is that Jerry is very important to Andy and he trusts him. If you can't get along with the family, it's hard to coach a player."

Gilbert said Thursday that he's taking the high road. "I don't want to get into those issues," he said. "Andy was the boss and it was his decision to make. Tennis is not a team sport. The relationship is between the coach and player and that's the way it should be. As far as I'm concerned, Andy was the one who called me and it was his decision to make."

Even though Roddick failed to win a Slam this year, he did win four titles and led his country to the Davis Cup final. However, Roddick failed to win a title after July and was stunned in the quarterfinals of the US Open by Sweden's Joachim Johannson. Plus, he was obviously down after being scalded by Lleyton Hewitt in the TMC Houston semis and after losing both his matches in the Davis Cup final to Rafael Nadal and Carlos Moya.

"This is tennis and sometimes you have to give the other guys their props," Gilbert said. "You can't win every match. Lleyton played incredible that day and Johansson was serving bombs in the fifth set. Andy had a couple of points there that he could have won, but it could have gone either way. Look, he wins that match nine of 10 times."

GILBERT SAYS HE PROBABLY COULDN'T HAVE HELPED ANDY IN DAVIS CUP FINAL
Roddick didn't invite Gilbert to the Davis Cup final, but Gilbert isn't sure if he would have made a difference anyway.
"Patrick [McEnroe] is the guy on the sidelines there, not me," he said. "Both Nadal and Moya played great. It was on clay. Maybe I could have given him a few tips, but they might not have mattered. The key to me was that Andy played second on Friday. If he would have played first, the pressure would have been heavier on Nadal and Andy would have had a better shot at winning. The only way the US was going to win that tie was going into Sunday up 2-1 and that would have meant Andy playing first and winning. Even if Andy would have beat Moya, Fish was a big underdog in the fifth match against Nadal. But losses like Andy took in Spain; those are part of what make you a tennis player."

There's been speculation that one of the reasons that Roddick parted ways with Gilbert was because he failed to beat top-ranked Roger Federer this year. But Gilbert said that wasn't the case.

"Andy's a tremendous talent," he said. "But Federer has really raised the bar very high and it's up to everyone else to catch up with him. Andy had a pretty good year, but for players like [Pete] Sampras, [Andre] Agassi, Federer and Roddick, a good year is winning one Grand Slam. A great year is winning two. We were a couple points away in the Wimbledon final and Federer came up with the goods. You have to give him his props, but that loss hurt the most. If Andy had won Wimbledon, then we'd be looking at his year a little differently."

Gilbert wouldn't directly say whether he asked Roddick to change his December schedule and focus more on training for the Australian Open than on playing exhibitions, but did infer that his former pupil needs to rethink his commitments. Because of Roddick's exhibition schedule, Gilbert only had four days to work with Andy during the 2003 off-season. "I'm not going too comment on that, but Andy had a very full schedule in 2003 and another full schedule this year. Maybe next year he'll change it. He has a lot going on in his life."

Gilbert hasn't signed on with another player yet, but is interested in coaching France's Tatiana Golovin again, whom he briefly worked with in 2002 and part of 2003. The 16-year-old Golovin made a splash in the Fed Cup final and rose from No. 118 at the end of 2003 to No. 26 at the end of 2004.

"I still love coaching and she has tremendous potential," Gilbert said. "She a great girl who I really like. But if I start coaching her everyone is going to expect her to become No. 1 next year and she's not ready for that yet."

Gilbert also wouldn't deny that he's slightly interested in coaching Taylor Dent, but said he'll leave that situation alone, given that Dent is being coached by the USTA's Francisco Montana.

"After Andy, Taylor has the most potential of the young Americans," he said. "But he seems comfortable with Francisco and his dad (former Aussie Open champ Phil) also has a lot of say into his tennis. But if Taylor is going to make move, it will have to be now."

heya
12-31-2004, 05:59 AM
He had nothing to do with the AO, FO, Wimbledon, USO + Masters Cup losses. No practice on Wimbledon Center Court, he encouraged him to pulverize the ball all year &
he couldn't coach during rain delays. Oh, yes. Where was the genius when Andy played baseball with John McEnroe at USO. Brad' was caught off guard? :unsure:

Tennis isn't a team sport.... Tell that to DARLING Patrick Mc. :o :haha: :rolls:
Yeah, Brad. Andy probably didn't play well at DC, not because he was doing nothing all year, but because he played too late on the 1st day.
:spit: :bolt: