Waffling the Belgians On The Way Back To The World Group!! (The 2005 DC Thread) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Waffling the Belgians On The Way Back To The World Group!! (The 2005 DC Thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the idea, star :)

This title sucks, give better ideas please :)

Anyway, assuming I can get tickets, I'm going to go to this tie. Hopefully Danielle will too. Anyone else?!!

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 06:21 PM
hehe, I was going for both a little rhyme and a little alliteration. But it's kinda blah... needs something shorter, snappier :p

tangerine_dream
12-06-2004, 06:23 PM
How about Castrating the Croats? ;) hehe, I'm so bad....

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
HAHA! that might be a little extreme :p

k-rod83
12-06-2004, 06:33 PM
get ur coats, croats!

Neely
12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
where is Carson? is it a home game for the US or for Croatia?

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
It's about 20 minutes south of downtown Los Angeles :)

US Home tie on hardcourt, not sure what the speed of it is

So it's a very nice location considering Indian Wells is right afterwards. Good preparation for that at the same time considering it's outdoor hards in a similarish climate, plus it's rather convenient.

Neely
12-06-2004, 06:50 PM
wow, cool.... never heard this village or town or whatever it is before... okay, it didn't sound really croatian either, but I still wasn't sure... ;)

The suffixes of Croatian cities would probably be more like like -ic, -cic, -nik, -crzerlic, -szc, -lazscakz, iclaczac or any other combination of many consecutive consonants and comparable tongue breakers :lol: ;)

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 06:53 PM
LOL!!!!!!!

Carson is just a suburb of LA - I hadn't heard of it til I moved out here, it's not a big city or anything. It's essentially LA. It's at the venue where the women's tourney in LA is (Lindsay beat Serena this year) - it's relatively new and I think it's pretty state-of-the-art as well
http://www.homedepotcenter.com/venues/tennis.sps?iType=4176&icustompageid=6772

Neely
12-06-2004, 07:04 PM
okay, that it is... I see it's much more than just a tennis location, they also play soccer, softball, baseball, cycling and things like that... Home Depot Center... home depot... sounds like a bank as a sponsor?!

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Yea it's a huge complex, I drove by it a couple weeks ago on my way to my cousins' for Thanksgiving. There were rumors that the September SF against Belarus was going to be there, but obviously Charleston got it instead... I guess they're probably happy about that b/c of the way the 2005 calendar was changed and the 1st round is right before IW and Carson is quite close to there :)

Home Depot is like a home improvement store - you buy everything there like flooring, paint, wood, cabinets, lawnmowers, lights and light bulbs.. they're HUGE warehouse type stores. You name it, if it goes to helping your house, they carry it lol

http://www.homedepot.com/

Golfnduck
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
How about Castrating the Croats? ;) hehe, I'm so bad....
LOL!!!! That would be good, but painful. :eek:

star
12-06-2004, 08:32 PM
I just finished a book about the Balkans so castrating has too real a sound to it to suit me.

For aliteration... it has to be a CR sound anyway. Crow, Crowd, Cry, Crime, Creep, Crap, Crawl, Cream, I've got to get out the dictionary now.

tangerine_dream
12-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Kicking the Crap out of the Croats? :scratch: :lol:

Croats Croak in Carson? :confused:

Croat-on-a-Rope? :devil:

My ideas just keep getting stupider lol .....

superpinkone37
12-06-2004, 08:59 PM
i like the title, it rhymes! (:
you know i want to go, nay NEED to go. it is MY cup after all. (:

yes, you NEED to go :) and so do I and Deb, and anyone else who could make the trip. I looked it up on mapquest and it would take me an hour to get to Carson, so thats not bad at all :)

tickets do sell out very fast for DC right? now that I have been talking to my mom about going to DC obviously our IW trip wont be able to be as expensive. But IW is every year and DC wont be back in souther California for a while so...yeah. Nice title btw :yeah:

Neely
12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
lol, tangerine... :lol: ... I like the "Croats Croak" suggestion best... I know what "to croak" means, this word translates rather "lame" in German, but I'm not sure how harsh the meaning of this word really is in its original language and if it's therefore still good for a title... the "castrate" is just too offensive, this shouldn't be used IMO...

BTW, another question... what do they mean with "service animals" on the Home Depot Center homepage in Accessibility Info? :confused:

Home Depot is like a home improvement store - you buy everything there like flooring, paint, wood, cabinets, lawnmowers, lights and light bulbs.. they're HUGE warehouse type stores. You name it, if it goes to helping your house, they carry it lol

http://www.homedepot.com/
OMG, that's it... and I guessed it's some sort of bank because I thought depot means something like deposit how it's used in German language :lol:

andyroxmysox12191
12-06-2004, 10:44 PM
:haha: tangy. I agree with Neely...the Croats Croak one is good :banana:

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 10:57 PM
"croak" in english slang means to die, Neely. LOL!!!!

and yes, Home Depot is kinda a wild place lol

I would assume that "Service animals" means like seeing-eye dogs for the blind and things like that.

zoltan83
12-06-2004, 10:59 PM
"croak" in english slang means to die, Neely. LOL!!!!

Neely, will you need a slang dictionnary? :D

Golfnduck
12-06-2004, 11:42 PM
I like Croats Croak. Has a nice ring to it. ;)

J. Corwin
12-06-2004, 11:48 PM
I might join ya, Deb and Danielle. Woohoo! :cool: It's a maybe since it IS that much farther for me than it is for you two. ;)

superpinkone37
12-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I might join ya, Deb and Danielle. Woohoo! :cool: It's a maybe since it IS that much farther for me than it is for you two. ;)

awesome!! well a maybe is better than nothing at all :)

star
12-07-2004, 12:35 AM
I guess I am the only one who wouldn't really pay much to see DC action..... you know, unless it were to go to Floripa to see Brazil play......... anybody. :lol:

The netheads will probably be there and they have to be the most annoying cheering section ever. At least the Aussie cheering group... what's their name? I forget.... has clever cheers, but the netheads just shout out the number of aces and have stupid cheers that consist of chanting the players names or knock offs of tired high school cheers for football/basketball.

I'm glad Andy is playing DC and I want the U.S. squad to win. I'd pay to see Andy's matches, but there is no one else on the team I care about at all at all.

Havok
12-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Duck Hunt (Andy) vs. Mario Bros (Ancic)?

Both nintendo games.:p

Leena
12-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Ivo vs. Andy. :sad:

Deboogle!.
12-07-2004, 03:58 AM

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Jace if you joined us that would effing :rocker2:

Golfnduck
12-07-2004, 04:45 AM
I've always found the netheads very interesting. They seem pretty rowdy to me some matches. But then again, if I went to one of Andy's matches, I would be going nuts.

star
12-07-2004, 05:03 AM

I like that Naldo!!

I like those funny titles rather than boastful ones. :)

star
12-07-2004, 05:05 AM
I've always found the netheads very interesting. They seem pretty rowdy to me some matches. But then again, if I went to one of Andy's matches, I would be going nuts.

I've sat several rows down from them through several matches. I wouldn't mind if they were rowdy, but they are sort of vapid and boring..... combine that with a lot of noise and it's annoying.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2004, 05:30 AM
LOL What's funny is that the original Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt came together on the same cartridge!

I don't think I'd like the whole nethead thing... a little too crazy for me lol

For me, I'm acutally more subdued watching in person than I am watching on tv or following online. B/c when I'm there, I get absorbed by the tennis and the atmosphere so I don't even really think about being nervous for my fave players or whatever. I was even able to sit though multiple Andy tiebreaks and be ok :p

superpinkone37
12-07-2004, 06:02 AM
LOL What's funny is that the original Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt came toFor me, I'm acutally more subdued watching in person than I am watching on tv or following online. B/c when I'm there, I get absorbed by the tennis and the atmosphere so I don't even really think about being nervous for my fave players or whatever. I was even able to sit though multiple Andy tiebreaks and be ok :p

As I have only watch Andy play one match live, I'm still not sure how I react watching live. But yeah, the whole atmosphere is awesome, and I dont really remember being really all that nervous. I didnt have to sit through tiebreaks though lol. But if I acted at a real tennis match how I do yelling at the tv or computer screen at home, they would have to remove me from the stands :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-12-2004, 03:28 PM
A little wrap-up/preview from the Charleston paper. It's kinda neat that since US played the SF there, the Charleston tennis guy has written more about the team and stuff :)
-------------

U.S. team: Wait until next year

Tennis

BY JAMES BECK
Of The Post and Courier Staff
Few tears were shed by Americans last Sunday in Seville. This year was all about next year for the U.S. Davis Cup team.

Captain Patrick McEnroe and his charges insisted repeatedly that they could win this year's Davis Cup, even on Spain's dreaded red clay. Few people really believed it possible, maybe not even the U.S. team itself.

The Spaniards had their weekend -- make that year -- on red clay. They may not see home during the next Davis Cup season. That's the Davis Cup bounce. One year you can be the champ playing at home; the next year you're strictly a tourist. It all depends on the location of the last tie between competing nations.

If Spain and the United States happen to meet in next year's final, the match would be played in this country. By the luck of the draw, the Americans played their first three matches of 2004 at home before finally going on the road for the loss to Spain. With any luck, the United States could play three of four Davis Cup matches next year at home, including the last two rounds.

The Americans had their fill of red clay last weekend. Spain won only 3-2, but the U.S. squad failed to produce a victory over what might be called Spain's first team. Juan Carlos Ferrero subbed for young Rafael Nadal in doubles after Nadal had beaten Andy Roddick a day earlier to stake Spain to a 2-0 lead. Spain's other loss came in Sunday's dead-rubber when Tommy Robredo replaced Nadal against Mardy Fish.

With Spain's red clay definitely out of the Americans' picture for 2005, they aren't worried about the red clay of France, either. A possible France-U.S. semifinal would be played on U.S. soil, make that American cement or asphalt.

A U.S. Davis Cup championship looks like a good bet in 2005. But some things could go wrong, such as:

-- Andy Roddick suffers a serious injury or the Bryan brothers get out of sync.

-- Belarus gains revenge in a second-round match on its home turf, especially with big Max Mirnyi playing on a fast indoor court; of if they beat the Belarussians, the Americans might have to travel to that part of the world again to face Russia in the semifinals.

-- Or Argentina's clay-court brigade led by Guillermo Coria, David Nalbandian and French Open champion Gaston Gaudio smothers the top half of the draw and invites the Americans to South America for the final.

-- Or maybe worst of all, if Roger Federer happens to find a solid partner in Switzerland and comes calling on America for the final.

All of those are possibilities, but the U.S. team members have got to like their chances in 2005.

CHANGE? WHY?

Everyone seems to think the Davis Cup format needs altering. Why? I doubt if there are many people in Spain wanting to change things. A record crowd of more than 27,000 demonstrated the practicality of the current Davis Cup format.

Why risk taking the spirit out of the Davis Cup by changing it? The Fed Cup may have been lucky with this year's "Final Four" in Moscow. Russia simply had the best women's players in the world. Otherwise, Moscow might have been spiritless.

Parties such as the one the Spanish threw last weekend in Seville far outweigh any negatives of the Davis Cup's current four-weekend format that crowns a champion from 16 World Group qualifiers. So what if the Spanish won? They also likely would have won on a clay court anywhere else in the world. Of course, a Fed Cup "Final Four" approach wouldn't always be fair, for instance if the Europeans were forced to play the final two rounds on a neutral hard court each year, just as it wouldn't be fair to the Americans to have to play the last two rounds on clay.

The current format spaces four weekends over the entire year, but it's wait until next year by mid-summer (next year's quarterfinals have been shifted from early April to July 15-17) for all but the last four survivors.

tangerine_dream
12-15-2004, 05:13 PM
An article I just found that I don't think Deb has posted yet :eek: :D

Americans still learning -- especially on clay
By Matthew Cronin
Special to ESPN.com
Sunday, December 5, 2004

SEVILLE, Spain -- Sometimes a captain's steadfast belief and support just isn't enough.

On Sunday, Carlos Moya achieved his lifelong dream, leading Spain to a 3-2 final round Davis Cup victory via his magical 6-2, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (5) victory against the American No. 1 player Andy Roddick.

Just don't tell U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe that his clay-challenged team couldn't have taken the whole shebang.

"We could have won," McEnroe said. "They outplayed us, but if Andy would have won his third set tiebreaker against [Rafael] Nadal on Friday and we would have gone into his match against Moya today up 2-1, it could have been a different result. It's a lot different to play tiebreakers when your team is down. We could have won it this year, but at least we are making progress to our ultimate goal."

McEnroe did all he could to prepare his team for the raucous tie on slow red clay, but his twentysomething team just couldn't grow up fast enough. He sure could have used the steady hands of eight-time Grand Slam champion Andre Agassi, but the legend declined. Now 22, Roddick's game has matured in the past year, but he still gets tight on big points on clay, which is why Sunday he committed three straight unforced errors to lose the second set tiebreaker and five unforced errors to lose the third-set tiebreaker and the match.

"Andy seems to serve really well in tiebreaks," McEnroe said. "And on clay, obviously it's more difficult to win those cheap points solely on your serve. You've got to be able to use some different combinations. I thought he did a much better job today of mixing his serve and using better combinations with the serve as opposed to just trying to hit aces. But I think it's just the pressure of it not being your best surface and not being able to go to your strength at the crunch time, and that's the tiebreak."

Former Roland Garros champion Moya and super-star-in-the-making Nadal are flat out better clay-court players than Roddick and Mardy Fish. Roddick and McEnroe tried multiple change of strategies - but it wasn't enough. Roddick's love of the battle in front of a record-setting crowd of 27,200 red and yellow flag waving fans just wasn't enough. All their hard work preparing for this tie simply wasn't enough to get it done on a foreign surface in a foreign land.

As Roddick and McEnroe said, the U.S. team has improved this year. They won three ties on home soil to reach the final, the first time the United States has reached the last round since 1997. But in their first away tie of the year off hard courts, Roddick and Fish frequently spun their wheels. Roddick played inspired and aggressive tennis in attacking Nadal on Friday but failed to capitalize on a set point in the third set tiebreaker and consequently fell in four sets. Fish never really challenged Moya on Friday and was consistently out-slugged from the backcourt. Roddick never stopped churning against Moya, going for his shots even when the roars of the crowd were deafening, but though he fought like champ, he didn't win a set.

The doubles duo of Bob and Mike Bryan were outstanding in trouncing Juan Carlos Ferrero and Tommy Robredo in doubles and Fish did manage to win the dead rubber over Robredo on Sunday, but the fact is, the Americans only won one set in three live singles matches. On clay, this team still has a lot of learning to do about mixing up shots, playing better defense and being patient.

"You can say whatever you want, but they came out, they took care of business," Roddick said. " They beat us. It's as simple as that ... We just have to improve [on clay]. It's not like we can do anything to prevent it. Bottom line is, we're responsible for it, and we have to get better. There's really no miracle answer. We just have to deal with it, accept it and improve."

Roddick is not a wise old veteran with nerves of steel and has a long way to go before he reaches his true potential. Every part of his game has improved this year, but he's just not closing out matches like he should. Perhaps it's because he's doubting himself when he gets close to victory. He fights hard enough to reach the 15th round, but in 2004, he was TKO-ed on numerous occasions in big matches. He'll end the year as the world's No. 2 ranked player, but he reached only one Grand Slam final, hasn't won a tournament since July, and this weekend dropped two contests as his team's No. 1.

Since Agassi likely will never return to Davis Cup play (even though McEnroe is keeping the door open), it's up to Roddick to step up another level in 2005. Otherwise, the United States -- which last won the crown in 1995 -- faces going a decade without a Davis Cup title, which would tie it's longest drought since its slide between 1927 and 1936. For the nation with the most Cup wins in history (31), that's a mark it wants to avoid.

"I've been at the finish line a couple times this year and haven't crossed it first," Roddick said. "It's disappointing, but at the same time you have to look at what it took to get there. Last year was almost too easy. I didn't get there that often, but when I did, I made it happen. This year I felt like I got there more often, and it didn't happen for me. I'll just work harder."

McEnroe isn't that concerned about the Americans' dry spell because men's tennis has become deeper over the past 15 years, with the likes of Spain and Argentina producing powerful baseliners by the dozens. He knows his team has an excellent shot at the Cup next year. Because of a favorable draw, the United States has a decent chance at playing all their matches at home, where they can choose the surface.

"It has been too long." McEnroe said of the drought. "I think this group can do it next year and we're setting the stage to compete for the title every year."

Golfnduck
12-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Hopefully they can do it next year. Andy needs to improve his all-around game on all surfaces (except grass) and Mardy needs to get a stronger mental game.

heya
12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
"I've been at the finish line a couple times this year and haven't crossed it first," Roddick said. "It's disappointing, but at the same time you have to look at what it took to get there. Last year was almost too easy. I didn't get there that often, but when I did, I made it happen. This year I felt like I got there more often, and it didn't happen for me. I'll just work harder."

No wonder he only wanted to sit around, doing nothing important.
He's pathetic if he's overjoyed & unaware that he
played BADLY (1 or 2 points from losing a match) VS. mostly non-top 5 players.
Davis Cup is NOT the main priority.
Forget Idiot McEnroe's desire to get the glory from Andy's effort.
He's not ready to grab a trophy because he hardly trains on clay, let alone carpet-type courts where he's inexperienced on.

Black Adam
12-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Actually Team USA are favorites next year: http://yahoo.oddschecker.com/yahoo/mode/c/card/tennis-daviscup :yeah:

Inoder to see some favorites on whom ppl think they are gonna win the slams and tennis tournaments next year see : http://yahoo.oddschecker.com/yahoo/mode/m/menuid/8407
;)

USA will win if they avoid argentina in the final and russia in semis might be a close affair..... but i can feel victory already for Team USA.

Golfnduck
01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Thought I would bump this since Andy just whooped ITT.

Deboogle!.
01-13-2005, 01:03 AM
And since at least three of our resident duckies will be there! :woohoo:

andyroxmysox12191
01-13-2005, 01:28 AM
:banana: :woohoo:

Mowgli
01-13-2005, 02:59 AM

who?

Go DUCKIE beat SuperMario and Ivan the terrible loser!!!!!! :rocker2: :banana:

Deboogle!.
01-13-2005, 03:18 AM
me, Amanda (am&a), and Danielle (superpinkone)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iza
01-13-2005, 03:19 AM
great! I wish I'd come w/u ! have a gr8 time!

Leena
01-13-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm jealous... I wanna go too! :p

Deboogle!.
01-13-2005, 03:20 AM
aww we'll be sure to report back and take pics and all that jazz :D

Iza
01-13-2005, 03:43 AM
:hug:
can't wait :yippee: !

superpinkone37
01-13-2005, 06:20 AM
aww we'll be sure to report back and take pics and all that jazz :D

of course!!!
awww i wish we could take every single one of you with us ! :p

Deboogle!.
01-13-2005, 06:21 AM
Yea!!! Not the Netheads but the Duckheads!! ;) Or Maybe Quackheads would be a better double entendre of sorts ;)

Golfnduck
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Yea!!! Not the Netheads but the Duckheads!! ;) Or Maybe Quackheads would be a better double entendre of sorts ;)
LOL!!! You should make shirts or something. Pretty soon there will be a huge following of Duckheads :p

Fumus
01-13-2005, 06:10 PM
How about serving the sour croats ;-)

lol...Since they always seem to be sour after Andy beats Ivan..

Fumus
01-13-2005, 06:15 PM
or you could call it Frustration in the Croation Nation

or Whatever floats your croat

Golfnduck
01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
or you could call it Frustration in the Croation Nation
LOL!!!! I like that one.

heya
01-13-2005, 10:34 PM
PMac should coach Ljubicic.
I mean, he has the same kind of class and intelligence...:tape: :o

Tytta!.
01-13-2005, 10:42 PM
:lol: heya!!!!!

Fumus
01-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Or you call it Murder she Croat

Nishy
01-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Can I join in duckies? :)
I bought tickets. I am vey looking forward to seeing the match!
This will be the first time to see Andy in live :cool:

andyroxmysox12191
01-14-2005, 08:54 PM
:banana: YAY NISHY!!!! :banana: I hope you have a great time as well :hug:

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Can I join in duckies? :)
I bought tickets. I am vey looking forward to seeing the match!
This will be the first time to see Andy in live :cool:
ohmygosh, yes!! We'll totally meet up! :woohoo:

andyroxmysox12191
01-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I wanna go :sad:

Nishy
01-14-2005, 10:31 PM
ohmygosh, yes!! We'll totally meet up! :woohoo:
Yes, I want to meet you up :)

Nishy
01-14-2005, 10:32 PM
I wanna go :sad:
:hug:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Yes, I want to meet you up :)

As it gets closer, we'll try to gather all the fans we can and maybe exchange cell phone #s or set a meeting place or something like that :D We'll definitely hook up somehow!

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Don't use US Air they SUCK - they're the ones who lost everyone's luggage over Christmas... and my mom had horrific problems with them last year, and we had problems with them a couple years ago, also. They're just bad bad bad.

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 12:34 AM
American's fine, that's what I've flown all the times I've gone to and from LA (which is now 3).. been pretty much on time and smooth every time :yeah:

I suggest not checking luggage if you can.. LAX is a beast.

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 12:45 AM
ummm letting them take it and put it on the plane, then you go to baggage check after you get off the plane and get it. If you don't check luggage, it means you bring a smaller suitcase (or a duffel bag or something that fits within the size requirements, and you can find all the luggage requirements for checking and carryon and stuff on the airline's website) on the plane with you and put it in the overhead bin meaning you take it off the plane with you meaning you don't have to go down to baggage claim and wait another half hour til they bring your suitcase out of the cargo part of the plane

croat123
01-15-2005, 12:53 AM
y'all really shouldn't waste your money...croatia's gonna be up 3-0 after day two :devil:

AJMO HRVATI!!!!!! RAZTURITE IH!!! :D:bounce::wavey:

croat123
01-15-2005, 12:54 AM
:p

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 12:54 AM
oh, okay. i'll concern myself with that later. (:

Yea, it's nothing you have to worry about now. I was just giving my opinion on the matter ;)

Nishy
01-18-2005, 03:06 AM
As it gets closer, we'll try to gather all the fans we can and maybe exchange cell phone #s or set a meeting place or something like that :D We'll definitely hook up somehow!
Deb, I sent the PM to you.

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 03:13 AM
:yeah: Replied. can't wait! :)

aceit
01-18-2005, 03:31 AM
You all better take a million pictures! ;)

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 05:41 AM
yeah, this is pretty much why I got my camera with such a good zoom :sobbing:

smucav
01-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Agassi says he'll discuss Davis Cup with McEnroe (http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_AA_011905.html)

I'm guessing the quotes came from AA's Wednesday interview, but it isn't up on the AOpen site yet.

Deboogle!.
01-19-2005, 08:24 PM
:eek: :eek:

but I can't imagine he'll play...

aceit
01-19-2005, 09:31 PM
That would be amazing if he did!!! But Andre, we could have used you on that red dirt in Spain. :p

superpinkone37
01-20-2005, 12:36 AM
wow...I mean that would be awesome for Andre to play, but I think it is still unlikely that he would. Reading what he said, I guess he is just making it known that he is not totally ruling out the possibility..

heya
01-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Andy should be working his butt off in Europe. Playing every tournament is no different from playing DC. You can't just practice a few days and expect to do well at DC clay ties.

smucav
01-20-2005, 10:48 PM
PMac now leaning toward Dent for #2 unless AA wants to come back:
"Taylor Dent has had the best start to the year of all the potential second players, no doubt," McEnroe says. "I'd say he has the inside track right now assuming that a fellow with the initials A.A. doesn't come back, which I don't think is going to happen. We can always hold out hope."Dent eager to make a big break (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/aus/2005-01-20-dent_x.htm)

Here's what Andre said on Wednesday:
Q. Where is your thinking on Davis Cup right now? Have you ruled that out for this year?

ANDRE AGASSI: Well, I'm going to have this discussion with Patrick, just because he's made the effort to want to have conversations with me about it. So I'll be respectful of that.

But it's just twofold. You know, I have a lot of regret not playing because it's one of the best memories of my career, playing Davis Cup, not to mention playing with another generation of guys that have such a good fellowship and team camaraderie together. To experience that would be a great feeling.

But the other side of the coin is really what my decision has come down to in the past, which is what can I really do. I've never been a big fan of being in halfway, you know, playing at your convenience. It's always been something I haven't respected a whole lot in the past when it's come to that for others. The decision I had to make is not an easy one, and it hasn't been easy, but something I'll discuss with him.

Q. You made it already? You want to talk about it with him or are you thinking about it?

ANDRE AGASSI: I think sort of answering that question would be probably even taking a step too far here. I want to have a conversation with him and then it will be very clear after that.http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2005-01-19/200501191106130578515.html

Deboogle!.
01-21-2005, 12:07 AM
:bigcry: I wanna see Jamesie!!!! Maybe if he can keep it up in the next few weeks he can convince PMac he's back to deserving a spot on the team.

But I'd be OK With Taylor too. I just worry about all these guys in big match situations... Taylor's mentality is still suspect IMO. We'll see how badly Andre crucifies him tonight.

superpinkone37
01-21-2005, 02:21 AM
yeah...i think how he does tonight will give us a big clue on how he might play in DC. I would LOVE to see James as well...but I dont think that will happed for a while :sad: Anyways, I guess I wouldnt mind seeing Taylor :shrug:

heya
01-22-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm so bored with Pat McEnroe. He can't coach well, but he giggled like a little baby after he was asked about coaching seriously.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2005, 12:00 AM
McEnroe: Agassi Or Dent Could Play First-Round Davis Cup Tie
By Richard Pagliaro
01/26/2005

Andre Agassi has always approached tennis on his own terms. The eight-time Grand Slam champion crafted a career Renaissance after his 30th birthday and may now be considering another comeback — to Davis Cup competition.

The United States hosts Croatia in its opening-round Davis Cup tie scheduled for March 4-6th in Carson, California

The 34-year-old Agassi, who owns a 30-5 career record in 10 years of Davis Cup competition, helped lead the United States to two Davis Cup championships and may be a competitive presence on the American team in the future.

In the post-match press conference that followed his straight sets victory over Rainer Schuettler in Melbourne last week, Agassi said his Davis Cup success remains a highlight of his career and the prospect of playing with the younger generation of Americans — second-ranked Andy Roddick and twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan — in a team competition is appealing.

"I'm going to have this discussion with (U.S. Davis Cup captain) Patrick (McEnroe), just because he's made the effort to want to have conversations with me about it. So I'll be respectful of that," Agassi said. "But it's just twofold. I have a lot of regret not playing because it's one of the best memories of my career, playing Davis Cup, not to mention playing with another generation of guys that have such a good fellowship and team camaraderie together. To experience that would be a great feeling."

Admitting the odds are still against Agassi playing Davis Cup, McEnroe said Agassi appears closer to committing to playing now than at any other time in his tenure as captain.

"I think it's still probably a less than 50-50 chance, but I had a long talk with Andre's coach, Darren Cahill, last week and he said, 'Listen, Andre's thinking about it. We're really considering it. We haven't even talked about it this seriously for four years or at least since I've been around.' That's what Darren said to me," McEnroe said in a conference call with the media to promote ESPN's Australian Open coverage. "To me, Andre opened the door slightly to pique my interest, so my job as the captain is I have to exhaust that possibility. If Andre will come back, then we will certainly try to get him to do that. But at the end of the day, it's going to be if he feels he can make the commitment and not just the commitment to play one match here or there, but to really do it."

Agassi has not played a Davis Cup tie since sweeping his singles matches in the United States' 3-2 quarterfinal conquest of the Czech Republic in 2000. Since his last Davis Cup appearance nearly five years ago, Agassi has reiterated his decision to step aside from Davis Cup play to devote more time to his family, raise money and awareness for his charitable organization, the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation, and focus on the final stage of his tennis career.

Conventional wisdom might suggest Agassi would consider reducing his schedule to focus on the majors in what may be his final full season of play. Mary Carillo, McEnroe's ESPN colleague, believes Agassi's loss to top-ranked Roger Federer in the Australian Open quarterfinals might make the future Hall of Famer more likely to play the competition he has held close to his heart throughout much of his playing career as an ideal farewell to the sport.

"I'm not the Davis Cup captain, but I've got to think after last night that Andre's chances of playing Davis Cup have actually gone up a little bit," Carillo said. "I only say that because Andre knows he's on his way to saying good-bye to this sport and I'm just thinking after what I saw last night, Andre might just become a little bit more of a sentimentalist instead of pragmatist about playing Davis Cup. I got a sense that Andre wants to leave this sport having done everything and played everything and everywhere that he feels he needed to to sort of wrap a ribbon around himself. I honestly do think that there could be a Davis Cup that Andre might want to play in what could be his final year."

Agassi and McEnroe plan to discuss Davis Cup the week after the Australian Open concludes. The captain said he would not ask Agassi to completely commit to playing the entire Davis Cup schedule and would agree to his availability on a tie-by-tie basis.

"He's Andre Agassi and while you want him to play as much as he can, I don't necessarily need him for every match," McEnroe said.

Should Agassi opt against playing in the opening-round tie against Croatia, McEnroe said Taylor Dent, who fell to Agassi in the third round of the Australian Open, is the clear candidate for the second singles spot on the U.S. squad. A starting singles tandem of Roddick and Dent would give the United States two of the biggest serves and the sport and offer the stylistic contrast of Roddick's aggressive baseline play and Dent's attacking game. Dent has split his four career meetings with Croatia's Mario Ancic and is 1-1 against Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic.

"He's had the best start to the year," McEnroe said of Dent. "If Andre decides not to play, I would think Taylor's got the inside track on playing and getting a shot. I think he would play well in the atmosphere of Davis Cup and he's got a pretty good record against the Croatians. He's had the best start to the year by far of anybody that could possibly play the second spot other than Agassi. I'd feel a lot better if he were in great shape, let's put it that way."

Dent plays a physically-punishing style of play and would undoubtedly benefit by getting into the type of shape Patrick Rafter exhibited in claiming consecutive U.S. Open championships. Despite questionable conditioning, Dent still produced the best results of any American man aside from Roddick and Agassi during the Australian hard-court circuit. Dent defeated Robby Ginepri, Julien Benneteau, Lleyton Hewitt and Juan Ignacio Chela before bowing to Joachim Johansson in the Adelaide final. Dent, whose father Phil Dent was the 1974 Australian Open runner-up and represented his native Australia in Davis Cup competition, reached the third round of Sydney and has declared his availability for Davis Cup.

Conceding Dent's conditioning is a concern in the best-of-five set Davis Cup format, McEnroe believes if Dent can lose a little, he can win big.

"It's a concern that he's carrying a little bit (more) extra weight then he needs and I can say that because I've told him that," McEnroe said. "He's a little stubborn when it comes to confronting that issue. But clearly if he were in excellent condition he would be, in my mind, a top 10 player."

Stopping short of declaring 2005 a make-or-break season for 37th-ranked Mardy Fish and the 57th-ranked Ginepri, McEnroe said the time is now for all the of the young Americans to lift their level of play and improve their results.

"I think this is a big year or them and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed the way they started the year down here," McEnroe said. "I still think there's potential there to do a lot better. They're getting to that point where they're not past their prime by any stretch, but they're getting to that point where it's time to make the move. Yes, I'm expecting better things from Fish and Ginepri. Blake looked pretty good here; played a great couple of sets against Hewitt so I like the start that he had to the year and I like the start Taylor Dent had here, but he's still got a ways to go physically as well. I'd like to see someone get close to the Andy Roddick level, but so far, clearly that hasn't happened."

superpinkone37
01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
hmmm...well obviously I would love to see Andre, in case that doesnt happen it sounds like it will be Taylor. I don't mind him so much I guess :)

Deboogle!.
01-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Well we have like a month and a half to really want to see Taylor, and hope that Andre decides to play :lol:

superpinkone37
01-26-2005, 12:19 AM
haha yeah :lol:
ok well...I dont mind Taylor as long as he doesnt lose, lol :p

heya
01-26-2005, 12:19 AM
McEnroe said. "Dent's a little stubborn when it comes to confronting that issue. But clearly if he were in excellent condition he would be, in my mind, a top 10 player."
:...look who's stubborn. Astrologer McEnroe said the same thing about Fishy. :tape:

aceit
01-26-2005, 12:26 AM
"he would be, in my mind, a top 10 player."
No one want's to get into PMac's mind ... :unsure:

smucav
01-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Agassi May Have a Stake in Cup (http://www.latimes.com/sports/tennis/la-sp-tenmen30jan30,1,2623894.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-tennis)http://www.latimes.com/sports/tennis/la-sp-tenmen30jan30,1,2623894.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-tennis
Agassi May Have a Stake in Cup
By Lisa Dilllman
Times Staff Writer

January 30, 2005

MELBOURNE, Australia — U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe's road home from Australia will run through Los Angeles, and a recently added stop in Las Vegas.

There, he will have dinner and a chat with a certain tennis star and grill-master named Andre Agassi. McEnroe will use his powers of persuasion to try to get Agassi to return to Davis Cup action for the first time since 2000. Agassi lost to Roger Federer in straight sets in the Australian Open quarterfinals.

"I've just got to try to look him in the eye, and we had a good chat on the phone," McEnroe said today in an interview. "I sensed that me coming there and just sitting down with him face to face would be a good thing. And he said he'd have a steak on the grill ready for me."

The first round will be against Croatia at the Home Depot Center in Carson, March 4-6. Even the possibility of Agassi's presence on the team has excited the likes of Andy Roddick, and doubles players Mike and Bob Bryan. The Bryan twins, who are from Camarillo, will be making upcoming appearances in Los Angeles to try to spur what they called "sluggish" ticket sales.

"It's going to be fun," Mike said. "We've got a huge list of friends and family coming for that one. It's going to be good to give them a taste of the Davis Cup excitement. They've probably only watched us on TV."

Mike stated the obvious, saying: "If he [Agassi] played, it'll sell out in a couple of minutes."

Agassi has made statements worthy of an elected official, saying all the right things here and on a weekend conference call, but giving little indication of what he will do.

McEnroe is realistic, saying he recognizes Agassi is "torn."

"I would still say it's probably a little less than 50-50," McEnroe said. "That's my gut on it. He's just a gung-ho guy when it comes to Davis Cup. He feels like there were other times in his career when other players played when it was convenient. I don't think he liked that. He doesn't want to do that….

"As long as he's considering it, I'm going to try to do everything I can to get him to play some this year."

The door opened slightly late last year when McEnroe spoke to Agassi shortly before the Davis Cup final against Spain in Seville, and Agassi let him know he was thinking about coming back to the team in 2005. Now, the task is to persuade him that he doesn't necessarily have to play in every round.

If Agassi doesn't play, the top candidates for the second singles spot behind Roddick are Taylor Dent of Huntington Beach and James Blake. Dent beat Lleyton Hewitt at Adelaide, Mardy Fish at Sydney and lost to Agassi in the third round of the Australian Open. Blake pushed Hewitt to four sets in the next round.

"Dent has had a very good start to the year," McEnroe said. "What I saw from James Blake down here, I was very optimistic about his game and his attitude was excellent….

"Dent has had the best results so far. I'm a little concerned about him in best of five. I would like to see him get in better shape. He's played well against the Croatians. He's been knocking at the door to get a shot."

The Bryans reached their second Australian Open doubles final in two years and lost in straight sets. But Bob was suffering from a strained stomach muscle, McEnroe said. It happened in a mixed doubles match, and Bob was reduced to serving at three-quarters pace in the men's final against Wayne Black and Kevin Ullyett of Zimbabwe.

More confusing to McEnroe was the way Roddick folded in the fourth set against Hewitt in the semifinals. McEnroe said he was "perplexed" and suggested Roddick may have panicked.

"You've got to dig and believe in what you have," McEnroe said. "If you lose, you lose. I don't think anybody would be disappointed Andy Roddick lost in the semifinals to Lleyton Hewitt in Australia. It was more the way he seemed to mentally break down in the fourth set.

"Some of those losses last year were tough for him. He's obviously got something there about losing big matches in Grand Slams and Davis Cup. He's got to go to work and get better. Hewitt was No. 1 in the world and he dropped down to 15. He gutted it out and worked his butt off, and got better. That's what's going to differentiate Roddick from getting to the semis of majors and trying to win and get to the final of a couple more."
Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 10:49 PM
The Bryan twins, who are from Camarillo, will be making upcoming appearances in Los Angeles to try to spur what they called "sluggish" ticket sales.

Sluggish sales? And haha we were so worried.

And.... WHEN are the Bryans making appearances here?!!?!!?! helllloooooo we can't go if we don't know when it is. Thanks for all the info, LA Times :o

I hope PMac can talk to Andy - he seems to understand what's going on with him. Maybe he can help him work through this too.

superpinkone37
01-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Sluggish sales....lmao thats what I was thinking too Deb lol.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Well that should mean we should get pretty good seats... hopefully!

smucav
01-30-2005, 10:52 PM
And.... WHEN are the Bryans making appearances here?!!?!!?! helllloooooo we can't go if we don't know when it is. Thanks for all the info, LA Times :o One is this weekend at Stanford and another is in San Jose during the tournament. Info. on Bryans' website.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 10:54 PM
One is this weekend at Stanford and another is in San Jose during the tournament. Info. on Bryans' website.

Oh.... but, neither of those are anywhere near LA :scratch:

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 10:55 PM
when is the stanford tourn. i wanna go to that one, it's really close to where i live

superpinkone37
01-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Well that should mean we should get pretty good seats... hopefully!

I hope so!!

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 10:56 PM
when is the stanford tourn. i wanna go to that one, it's really close to where i live

Feb 5, I think.... check out www.bobandmike.com there's a lot of info on their site. I think I remember seeing it's only like $6 to go, too!

You live near Palo Alto? Nice :cool:

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Feb 5, I think.... check out www.bobandmike.com there's a lot of info on their site. I think I remember seeing it's only like $6 to go, too!

You live near Palo Alto? Nice :cool:

thanks, yea, i live 1/2 an hour away, my parents like to go there sometimes too.

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 11:11 PM
wow, only $1 for 18 years and younger

smucav
01-30-2005, 11:33 PM
when is the stanford tourn. i wanna go to that one, it's really close to where i live It's an exhibition at Stanford University, not a tournament:

http://www.bobandmike.com/Updates.html
Mike & Bob Bryan to Make Special Appearance at Stanford Match on Saturday, February 5th

Bryan Bros. coming back to the Farm to thank Coach Gould, welcome new head Coach Whitlinger, play an exhibition, do a junior clinic and raise funds for the EPATT Program . . . .

Schedule: Stanford Men's Team vs. Fresno State from approx. 12:00-3:00.

Mike & Bob Bryan demo drills. 3:00-3:15.

Mike & Bob welcome John Whitlinger as new Head Coach and David Hodge as new assistant, and thank former Coach Gould. 3:15-3:20.

Special One Set Exhibition: The Bryan Bros. vs. Stanford's #1 Team/NCAA Dbls. Champs Sam Warburg-KC Corkery. 3:20-4:00.

Q & A with the Bryans. 4:00-4:15.

Auction with special ticket packages to pro events at: Indian Wells, Los Angelas, San Jose, Stanford, US Open, and Sacramento Capitals WTT. 4:15-4:30.

Clinic with the Bryan Bros., the Stanford Coaches and Players for juniors below High School age. Lots of prizes and product from Stanford, adidas, Wilson, Oakley, Technifibre, American Express, the ATP, the USTA, Ace Posters and the Sacramento Caps. 4:30-5:00.

VIP Reception in the Stanford Clubhouse with the Stanford Coaches and players and the Bryan Brothers and TV and Movie Star, JoAnna Garcia. 5:05-5:30.

*** Ticket prices: $6 for adults ($4 for seniors and faculty/staff) and a "special" of $1 for youths 18 and under (normally $4). Ticket Office # is 1-800-782-6367. Tickets available at the door.

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 11:33 PM
yea, i found that out at their site.

smucav
01-31-2005, 08:17 PM
27. Tickets for the 2005 United States Davis Cup first-round tie against Croatia, Mar. 4-6 at White Elephant -- er, the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. -- have not exactly been brisk. (Who couldn't have seen this coming?) Tickets for the three-day series can be purchased by calling 888-484-8782 (USTA). Prices range from $90 to $375 for all three days of competition.

28. The minute Andre Agassi signs on to play, ticket sales won't be an issue.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/01/31/wertheim.aussiemail/index.html

djb272727
01-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Come on Andy! win DC for the US!!!! That would pretty much equal a slam win!

smucav
01-31-2005, 09:45 PM
I wonder why sales are so poor for this DC tie when the three last year in the U.S. sold out quickly.

1) Location?

2) Time of year?

3) Lack of interest in opponents?

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 01:12 AM
I wonder why sales are so poor for this DC tie when the three last year in the U.S. sold out quickly.

In my opinion...

1) Location? Not really, only as to how it would affect my answer to #2. So Cal seems to be a very popular place for tennis and the Home Depot Centre is a big USTA training place now.

2) Time of year? Maybe. It's right before Indian Wells which is very close. People who already bought tickets to that may not want to buy them to DC as well, since they're pretty expensive.

3) Lack of interest in opponents? Maybe, but was Austria that much more interesting of a team last year?

smucav
02-01-2005, 06:33 PM
longer interview with PMac about DC tie:
McEnroe, Agassi Share Steak In Davis Cup (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12355&bannerregion=)

Jogy
02-01-2005, 09:52 PM
please CRUSH THE CROATS IN CARSLON!!! :devil:

and especial this idiot Ljubicic!!!! beat him good 6-0 6-0 6-0 and make 90 aces with 260km/h against him!
then he should shuts up forever when he play against Roddick

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Iam here Blade and Croat123 to get bad reputation from you :ras: :p

smucav
02-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Somewhere Vince Spadea is crying:

http://www.ustashop.com/productimages/dc120b.jpg

(Andy's name is third column, second from the bottom--right above Pete Sampras).

http://www.ustashop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=192

Deboogle!.
02-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Somewhere Vince Spadea is crying:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Oh no, Spadea did play one [dead] match in 2000 and he was left off the shirt! PMac will be getting another letter for sure.

http://www.daviscup.com/teams/player.asp?player=10005253

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

smucav
02-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Seriously though I wonder what the cut-off is? I count 138 former players (http://www.daviscup.com/teams/playerwinloss.asp?team=USA), but only 133 names on the shirt.

Wait, upon further examination, I stand corrected: Spadea is on there (as is Taylor Dent who also only played one match).

Tytta!.
02-03-2005, 08:56 PM
:haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
02-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Roddick Upbeat About 2005 U.S. Davis Cup Team

2/3/05 6:28 PM

By Jason Brown, USTA.com

The 2005 season brings renewed optimism and increasing expectations for fifth-year Captain Patrick McEnroe and a talented U.S. Davis Cup Team on the cusp of greatness.

As Andy Roddick, the consensus team leader with a playing record of 14-5, prepares to begin his fifth campaign with the national squad and put the 3-2 defeat to Spain from last year’s Davis Cup Final in the rear-view mirror, the No. 1 singles player eagerly awaits the next challenge of playing Croatia in the Davis Cup World Group First Round knowing that the team has the foundation to succeed.

“Most countries have their two singles players and not a whole lot of depth besides that. The fact that we have three or four guys who can play the second singles is a nice problem to have,” said Roddick, a blistering 11-0 in his Davis Cup career on hard court, the surface selected for the first round in Carson, Calif.

“I think we're a lot better off than we were two years ago before the Bryans got into the fold where it was just me playing and that was the only given. I choose to look at it that we're making progress, and I'm excited to start the year in California.”

Currently fourth in the Davis Cup rankings and about to embark on a new journey toward achieving the yearly mandate to bring the Davis Cup back to the United States, McEnroe will once again lean heavily on the outstanding team nucleus of Roddick and the top-ranked doubles team of Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan.

“People see how much our guys care about Davis Cup. When I took over as captain, I wanted the guys who wanted to play, period. I wanted to focus the attention on them,” said McEnroe, whose best results during his tenure has included leading the U.S. to the final in 2004 and the semifinals against France in 2002.

“There’s a buzz back because people see how committed these guys are,” said McEnroe. “They see their passion, and they see how devastated they are when they lose. When we lost to Spain in the final, we were big underdogs there, and we went over there and gave it our best shot, and we lost. People respond to them. They are not doing this because they are supposed to or because they have to. They are doing it because they really want to be there.”

For a proud tennis nation which has hoisted the Davis Cup trophy 31 times, but none since defeating Russia 3-2 in 1995, McEnroe is looking for any edge he can get.

And that secret weapon could come in the shape of iconic superstar Andre Agassi, who has been intrigued by the possibility of returning to play for the United States at the Home Depot Center in Southern California, March 4-6.

Having played in 21 ties with a career record of 30-5, Agassi’s presence would give the Americans a dynamic one-two singles punch alongside Roddick.

“I've let him know that I'm 100 percent supportive, if he wants to join us. I definitely want him on the team,” said Roddick. “I think he gives us a great chance. Selfishly, I'd love to be around him and learn, be in that close contact with him for a week.”

Shrugging off any questions about the 34-year-old gelling with younger teammates, Roddick believes it is a non-issue.

“Andre's great. He would come in and fit in no problem. He's a people person, so it wouldn't be anything bad. We could only learn from Andre. If you have a Davis Cup team and you add one of the greatest players of all time to it, it can only benefit all of us.”

While Roddick and the U.S. Davis Cup team await Agassi’s decision whether he will play, the American player pool is as deep as ever with 2004 stalwart Mardy Fish, serve-and-volley specialist Taylor Dent, the rambunctious Robby Ginepri and 21st-ranked Vince Spadea waiting in the wings.

James Blake, who played well in the 2005 Australian Open after missing the bulk of the 2004 playing season dealing with a series of difficult injuries and a family tragedy, remains a sentimental favorite.

“I can just speak selfishly. On a personal level, it's so good to have James back on tour,” said Roddick. “He's honestly one of the nice guys out there. To see him come through and win and play a good match in Australia, I was pulling for him so hard. I just wish nothing but good things for him this year.”

Meanwhile, the future of American tennis burns bright with the emergence of 15-year-old 2005 Australian Open boys’ champion sensation Donald Young, who figures to gain valuable experience watching from behind the player bench in California.

“I think very highly of Donald. Obviously being No. 1 in the world at such a young age, winning a Slam at such a young age, is a very impressive accomplishment,” said Roddick, who knows a thing or two about being a teenage wonder-kind.

“I've been there under that kind of the spotlight in the transition from juniors to pros before, and it's a tough one. I just hope people will give him his space and let him grow and mature naturally. I think his potential, it's unbelievable. The way he plays points, the way he already constructs points, he's just one of those guys who has a natural feel for the game.”

The U.S. Davis Cup Team will play Croatia in the first round of the World Group, March 4-6, 2005, at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

The winner will play the winner of the Romania-Belarus tie being played in Brasov, Romania, in the World Group Quarterfinals, July 15-17, 2005.

Tickets for the United States-Croatia three-day series are now on-sale and can be purchased by calling (888) 484-8782.

Tytta!.
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the article :)

smucav
02-04-2005, 06:37 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-tennis3feb03,1,1372790.story?coll=la-headlines-sportsJust Call Agassi the Big Ticket
Tennis great could mean as much to attendance as he could to the results at U.S.-Croatia meeting.
By Lauren Peterson
Times Staff Writer
February 3, 2005

As Patrick McEnroe makes his pitch to lure Andre Agassi back into the fold in time for next month's Davis Cup tie between the U.S. and Croatia, U.S. Tennis Assn. and Home Depot Center officials seeking to sell the event to busy and finicky fans also think the eight-time Grand Slam event winner could be just the ticket.

"It'd be a great opportunity to see Andre, up close and personal, here in Los Angeles, in a big-time match," said Bill Peterson, managing director of the Home Depot Center, where the first-round tie is scheduled for March 4-6.

McEnroe, the U.S. Davis Cup captain, would like Agassi to fill the second singles slot on a four-member team that already includes Australian Open semifinalist Andy Roddick and Camarillo residents Bob and Mike Bryan, who lost in the Australian Open doubles title match last week.

Although McEnroe met with Agassi on Monday night in Las Vegas to discuss the possibility of the player's participation in Davis Cup matches for the first time since 2000, Agassi had yet to make a decision. Neither he nor McEnroe could be reached for comment afterward.

"The last thing I'm going to do, as a fellow player, is grill Andre all the time about it," Roddick said in a conference call Tuesday. "But you know, I have talked to him. We have discussed it. I've let him know that I'm 100% supportive, if he wants to join us."

There is little doubt Agassi would help fill the Home Depot Center tennis stadium's 8,000 seats. He is 30-5 in Davis Cup matches and has been on three U.S. teams that won titles.

"If they can get him to commit and they can get the ticket out and the billboards out with Andre and Andy, I think it'll be no problem," Bob Bryan said. "But I think it's tougher here. There's so much going on in L.A. that people don't like to commit to their tickets two weeks in advance."

That is just what Jeff Ryan, the USTA director of team events, would like to see.

"We're at a time when the Australian Open is now over and things are going to start focusing on tennis back here," he said. "We're drawing closer to the event and people are going to start paying attention more."

The USTA, which began selling tickets in three-day packages Jan. 18, certainly hopes so.

Ryan would not discuss specific sales or dollar figures but said that 35% of seats are spoken for, with 25% allotted to sponsors.

"We're right at the beginning of that last month," Ryan said. "The key for me is March 4, to have the place full."

Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times

blosson
02-04-2005, 08:20 PM
oh, shame I live in England. I would go to see DC otherwise. :p

superpinkone37
02-04-2005, 11:25 PM
:woohoo: exactly a month to go!!! :D

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 02:14 AM
*ahem ahem*

yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 02:36 AM
quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccck?

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 02:42 AM
uh.....no.

:p

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 03:12 AM
why not deb :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:14 AM
ummmm cuz I said so.

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 03:29 AM
but WHY? :(

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Uh well there's no internet search engine with a funny song called "Quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack"

And, because I said so. that should really be reason enough :)

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Fine. Have it your way. :ras: No pic for you then :)

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:35 AM
You should know by now that that game really doesn't work on me :)

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 03:36 AM
You don't want a pic? :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:37 AM
of course I do, but I'm not going to play that game :)

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 03:39 AM
I don't get the game :sobbing:

I need ice...brb :sobbing: I'm saying brb on a messageboard...that's just funny

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:48 AM
bribing me with pics and videos is a nice touch, but I am not getting on MSN Tonight :)

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 03:49 AM
whyyyyyy :( :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:50 AM
:rolleyes:

I think by now it should be rather obvious that there is only one reason why I stay off MSN

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 03:53 AM
well...... there are many reasons!

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:54 AM
oh? name them.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:57 AM
I stay OFF of MSN because of you 4? Uhhhh......right.... I am not having this discussion. Really not in the mood to play games tonight.

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Well theres the fact that you love us so much and if you come on you'll have to leave soon
Another one is that you get no work done?
Too much talking
Not in a good mood
Want to bitch at people (I have that sometimes)
I'm too tired to think of anything else

:kiss: :hug: Poor deb :hug: Check reps:)

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Another one is that you get no work done?

I believe this is the only one that I've ever actually said keeps me off MSN. You just fabricated the others :p

Hence my point - there is only one reason why I stay off MSN.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 04:09 AM
ha ha I know all the reasons to get on;) But you two seem to be having difficulty figuring out why I'm not on right now :p

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 04:13 AM
Cause well....I go on anyway :rolls:

superpinkone37
02-05-2005, 05:56 AM
errr...lol :rolls: oh and since this is the DC thread...they assign tickets on Monday (the day before my birthday :woohoo: ) and then they get sent out so we should probably get them next week I would assume? :D

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 06:02 AM
:woohoo:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 06:11 AM
oh

well I have to do it again.

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

superpinkone37
02-05-2005, 06:14 AM
lmao :lol: I'm so bored lol

superpinkone37
02-05-2005, 06:17 AM
d:

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Can I do my quack now?

superpinkone37
02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
:lol:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 06:15 PM
No!!! lol

andyroxmysox12191
02-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Why nooott! :( It could be a search engine as well!
I could make it...
hey that's another way for me to become a billionare! I don't have to do the fortune cookies :banana:

smucav
02-07-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=3497Agassi agrees to play Davis Cup vs Croatia
Andre Agassi has agreed to play Davis Cup for the USA next month against Croatia.

Details in today's Daily Tennis.

Tytta!.
02-07-2005, 04:28 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

PinkFeatherBoa
02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Ooh Andre, that's a bit of a surprise, good on him though. :yeah:

Tytta!.
02-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I wasn't expecting it at all. Anyway as you said that's great :yeah:

Winston's Human
02-07-2005, 06:18 PM
I think this is great. With Andre playing, it takes some of the pressure off Andy.

smucav
02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
I think this is great. With Andre playing, it takes some of the pressure off Andy.I think it's a double-edged sword: if they win, Andre will get all the credit; if they lose, Andy will get the blame. I just hope AA has better results than Sampras did when he rejoined the team late in his career (which ended up putting more pressure on Andy). I have no doubt that AA will give his best effort (& he's still in a better position than PS was in 2002), but his bad hip is another story.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 06:28 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE"RE GONNA SEE ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*woooo* breathe....

ok but yes, I agree smucav, it is double-edged.... except that I think it's pretty clear that Andy is sort of the team leader right now, whether Andre plays or not.

But really, I can't imagine us losing. Neither Ancic nor Ljubicic have even played that horribly great this year. Sure, DC often brings out the best in players, but considering the records at home on HC for the US guys I can't imagine us losing 3 matches. Also I would imagine that if, after San Jose, Andre's hip is a problem, he would let PMac know in enough time to replace him. But, some of the other potential 2nd players have been spotty with their fitness lately, too.... so it's a gamble no matter what really.

WEEEEEEEEEEE I'm psyched!

Tytta!.
02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Calm down Deb!!!! :lol:

smucav
02-07-2005, 06:38 PM
ok but yes, I agree smucav, it is double-edged.... except that I think it's pretty clear that Andy is sort of the team leader right now, whether Andre plays or not. I should clarify that I meant if they win the whole shebang, Andre will get all the credit for "saving the team." I know it's a little premature and Andre has only committed to the one tie, not the whole year, but that's what I was talking about (not specifically the tie v. Croatia).

PMac already talked about having a fifth man on the team if Andre played. I suspect this is so if they've clinched the tie by Sunday, the fifth man could sub in for Andre. I was referring to the hip injury being an ongoing problem througout the year: if Andre is going to seriously make another run at a GS (most likely US Open), he'll want to be in full form and may not commit very far in advance to future ties.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 06:40 PM
oh oh oh gotcha, sorry, I misunderstood... yes, that's probably true, Andre probably would get the credit. But, the boys want to win the Cup so if they do, I doubt Andy or the Twins care if Andre got some credit :)

smucav
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
oh oh oh gotcha, sorry, I misunderstood... yes, that's probably true, Andre probably would get the credit. But, the boys want to win the Cup so if they do, I doubt Andy or the Twins care if Andre got some credit :)I know they would be happy with the win regardless, but it's just a shame that casual fans/writers don't take full notice of Andy's accomplishments/contributions. Last year after the final all the focus was on how Andy had "lost" the Davis Cup final for the U.S. and very little attention was paid to the fact that he won six matches during the year to get them there in the first place.

Nishy
02-07-2005, 08:26 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE"RE GONNA SEE ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:
But I also want to see Mardy in live too. Do you think Mardy will attend if Andre plays?

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I know they would be happy with the win regardless, but it's just a shame that casual fans/writers don't take full notice of Andy's accomplishments/contributions. Last year after the final all the focus was on how Andy had "lost" the Davis Cup final for the U.S. and very little attention was paid to the fact that he won six matches during the year to get them there in the first place.

Yes, I agree. Then again, that's what you get as team leader. Expected to do well and sometimes taken for granted, but you have to take the fall. Sucks, but I think Andy's ok being in that position :)

I don't know Nishy, I think it would be a good idea for him to still show up and support the team even if he's not chosen to play.

smucav
02-07-2005, 09:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/tennis/02/07/bc.ten.daviscup.agassir.ap/index.htmlSource: Agassi to return to Davis Cup
Posted: Monday February 7, 2005 2:59PM; Updated: Monday February 7, 2005 2:59PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Andre Agassi will return to the U.S. Davis Cup team after a five-year absence, The Associated Press learned Monday.

The U.S. Tennis Association planned to announce Monday or Tuesday that Agassi will rejoin the squad for its first-round match against Croatia on March 4-6 at Carson, Calif., a tennis source told the AP on condition of anonymity.

The eight-time Grand Slam tournament champion, who turns 35 in April, stopped playing Davis Cup after 2000 as part of a scaled-back schedule geared to peaking for the majors.

He was a member of three Davis Cup championship teams, going 30-5 in singles. Current U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe traveled to Agassi's hometown of Las Vegas after the Australian Open to meet for dinner and try to persuade him to return to the team.

"Some of my greatest memories are playing Davis Cup," Agassi said last week in a conference call. "The regrets I have about not playing are regrets I've had for the last few years, and still remain that way, which is being a part of a new generation and trying to win the Davis Cup again."

The United States has won the competition a record 31 times, but not since 1995 -- the team's longest drought since the gap between titles in 1926 and 1937. The Americans lost to Spain in last year's Davis Cup final.

"At this time, we're not prepared to make any announcement regarding the USA vs. Croatia Davis Cup first round," USTA spokesman Randy Walker said Monday. "We'll certainly inform everybody when Patrick is ready to name the team."

Agassi's agent, Perry Rogers, did not immediately return a phone call Monday.

John McEnroe, Patrick's brother and predecessor as captain, cited an inability to get Agassi and Pete Sampras to play Davis Cup regularly as a reason for stepping down after just 14 months as captain of the United States squad.

Bringing Agassi back into the fold would improve the team -- and help sell tickets. He was ranked No. 1 as recently as early 2003, is 10th in the world now and is still the sport's most popular male player.

"Having him as part of our team will certainly help our chances, not to mention what it would do for tennis, period," Patrick McEnroe said last week. "It would be a positive thing for the sport and tennis overall in this country in having people see our young guy, Andy Roddick, with a legend. ... It would really take the interest up a notch or two."

The captain has said that he wouldn't require or expect Agassi to participate in every round of this year's Davis Cup. Roddick, who finished 2003 ranked No. 1 and won the U.S. Open that season, is entrenched as the top U.S. singles player.

The second singles slot for Davis Cup has been rotating; Mardy Fish filled that role against Spain. Twin brothers Bob and Mike Bryan are the U.S. doubles team.

"I have talked to him. We have discussed it. I've let him know that I'm 100 percent supportive, if he wants to join us. You know, I definitely want him on the team," Roddick said last week. "Selfishly, I'd love to be around him and learn, be in that close contact with him for a week."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press.http://www.tennisreporters.net/index.htmlBreaking News
Agassi will play first-round Davis Cup tie against Croatia

Andre Agassi has changed his mind and will return to the US Davis Cup team for its first-round match against Croatia on March 4-6 at Carson, Calif. US captain Patrick McEnroe will make the announcement late Monday afternoon.

Sources told TR.net that Agassi has committed to playing the first-round tie and is looking into playing all the US' homes ties. The US has a tremendous draw this year and, should it beat Croatia, faces a probable home tie against Romania in the quarters, and might play home ties in the semis against Russia or France.

McEnroe traveled to Agassi's Las Vegas' home last Monday and persuaded him to return to the team, even though Agassi was still having his doubts four days prior.

"It's always an attractive thing," Agassi said a week-and-a-half ago. "Some of my greatest memories are playing Davis Cup. I was asked to be a part of the ['04] finals. My answer was pretty clear, which was,, circumstances determined me not playing and I didn't want circumstances determining me deciding to play. In the same sense, I don't find myself in much of a different place because the regrets I have about not playing are regrets I've had for the last few years, and still remain that way, which is being a part of a new generation and trying to win the Davis Cup again. All that is something I'd love to be a part of."

Agassi hasn't played Davis Cup since April 2000 when he led the US to victory over the Czech Republic at the LA Forum.
Andy Roddick and the doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan are also expected to be named to the squad.

Roddick and Agassi have become friends and the 34-year-old also has developed ties with the Bryans.

"We have discussed it," Roddick said. "I've let him know that I'm a hundred percent supportive, if he wants to join us. I definitely want him on the team. I think he gives us a great chance. Selfishly I'd love to be around him and learn, be in that close contact with him for a week."

Agassi will play his first-round match at the SAP Open on Tuesday night against compatriot Bobby Reynolds.http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12386&bannerregion=AP: Agassi to Play Davis Cup
By Tennis Week
02/07/2005

Andre Agassi will put his 30-5 record from ten years of Davis Cup play on the line, according to the Associated Press and based on information provided by their anonymous source. Neither Agassi nor the USTA provided confirmation or denial of the report, but the announcement does fit with speculation that the future Hall of Famer will return to the team after a five year absence as part of a final year on the tour “victory lap.”

The U.S. is scheduled to play this year’s first round tie against Croatia at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., March 4-6. If they win they will either host Romania at home or travel to Belarus for the quarterfinals played the week after Wimbledon.

Of course, even if Agassi does return to the team — and if he does he will be changing a routine that has served him well in Springs past — there is no guarantee he will play every match. For the USTA and Agassi the announcement will likely result in a public relations bonanza, However, assuming Agassi only commits to some but not all Davis Cup ties, Captain Patrick McEnroe may only be receiving a slight lessening of the pressure to find the second singles complement to Andy Roddick and the Bryan brothers doubles team from among hopefuls such as Vince Spadea, Taylor Dent, James Blake and Mardy Fish.

blosson
02-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I should clarify that I meant if they win the whole shebang, Andre will get all the credit for "saving the team." I know it's a little premature and Andre has only committed to the one tie, not the whole year, but that's what I was talking about (not specifically the tie v. Croatia).

Andy will be so thick skinned by the end of 2005 we'll be able to make a handbag out of it.
:)

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 11:39 PM
so Andre's officially released the statement now.... AH! How awesome is this Amanda and Danielle!!!!

smucav
02-08-2005, 12:28 AM
http://www.usta.com/ustanews/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=148994Andre Agassi Returns To Davis Cup Play
2/7/05 11:39 PM

U.S. vs. Croatia Takes Place March 4 - 6 At The Home Depot Center

Agassi Joins Andy Roddick and World No. 2 Doubles Team

Bob and Mike Bryan On U.S. Team

Tickets Available Through Ticketmaster or Ticketmaster.com

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., February 7, 2005 – The USTA and U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe today announced that Andre Agassi has joined the United States Davis Cup Team that faces Croatia in a World Group match March 4-6, at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. Agassi, who will be playing Davis Cup for the first time since 2000, will join teammates Andy Roddick and the world No. 2 doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan. Tickets for the three-day series can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 213-480-3232 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets range from $90 to $375 for all three days of competition.

“Over the last few weeks, I have had several conversations with Patrick McEnroe and all the members of the 2004 Davis Cup team,” said Agassi. “As a result of those discussions, and their unwavering support, I have decided to play Davis Cup in 2005. The captain and players know that my life will not allow me to play every tie at this stage of my career. Still, they all expressed encouragement which is very much appreciated. I look forward to joining the team in Carson, California in March.”

"Andre’s return to Davis Cup in Carson is a direct result of his keen interest in being a part of the camaraderie established by our young team of Andy Roddick and the Bryan brothers,” said McEnroe. “This world-class team, backed by thousands of the world’s most knowledgeable tennis and sports fans, is ready to take on a challenging opponent from Croatia.”

Agassi made his Davis Cup debut in 1988 and helped the U.S. win the Davis Cup in 1990, 1992 and 1995. He owns a 30-5 Davis Cup record (all in singles), which places him in second place for all-time Davis Cup singles victories for Americans. Agassi is one of five men in the history of the sport to win all four Grand Slam tournaments in their careers – joining Rod Laver, Don Budge, Roy Emerson and Fred Perry. Agassi has won eight Grand Slam singles titles, including the US Open on two occasions (1994 and 1999) and the Australian Open four times (1995, 2000, 2001, 2003).

Roddick, the 2003 US Open champion, holds a 14-5 career Davis Cup record. Roddick is undefeated in home Davis Cup action. He did not drop a set in home Davis Cup ties in 2004. Bob and Mike Bryan, the 2003 French Open doubles champions and 2005 Australian Open doubles finalists, are undefeated in Davis Cup play with a 5-0 record.

Croatia is likely to be led by Mario Ancic and Ivan Ljubicic, who won the bronze medal in men’s doubles at the 2004 Olympics. Ancic also reached the semifinals of Wimbledon last year where he lost a tough four-set match to Roddick. Croatia defeated the U.S. 4-1 in the first round of the 2003 Davis Cup, the only previous meeting between the two nations.

AIG is the official sponsor of the U.S. Davis Cup Team. Wilson is the official ball of the U.S. Davis Cup Team.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 12:37 AM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm SO EXCITED!

andyroxmysox12191
02-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Wow :banana:

snaillyyy
02-08-2005, 12:54 AM
:dance: this is so cool, I really didnt think he would play but glad that he decided too :banana:

Golfnduck
02-08-2005, 03:34 AM
I wish I was going to Davis Cup. It sounds like it would be a great time.

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Andre! :rocker2:

MisterQ
02-08-2005, 03:41 AM
Andre! :rocker2: :rocker2:

Golfnduck
02-08-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm still pumped that Andre is going to play :worship:

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 11:50 AM
ahhhh man, andres gonna play for DC and i wont be able to watch it :sad:
this is just sooo cool tho

andy, andre bob and mike, hell yeah! what a team (altho i miss mardy already!)

theyre gonna kick some croatian butt huh?

(why didnt he just play the final!!!??)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 02:58 PM
(why didnt he just play the final!!!??)
He didn't want to travel to Spain in the middle of his rigorous off-season program and he didn't want to play on clay, that's my most likely guess. Can't blame him, really. lol

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 03:07 PM
yea but why? i mean that spanish crowd was just so warm to the US team :p
i cant fathom why he wouldnt that sort of reception, dream crowd huh? ;)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh, I don't think it has anything to do with the reception...mainly I think it's b/c clay is a lot tougher on his body

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 03:11 PM
tough on the whites too i guess :lol:

but i LOVE that hes playing in the next tie, that is :cool:

(mardy!!!!! :bigcry: )

smucav
02-08-2005, 04:33 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12387&bannerregion=Agassi Joins U.S. Davis Cup Team
By Richard Pagliaro
02/08/2005

Steak and seafood were on the menu when Andre Agassi sat down with United States Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe for a two and half hour dinner at the Bellagio in Las Vegas last week.

By the time the desert cart rolled around, Agassi was already considering putting Davis Cup back on his plate while McEnroe was salivating at the prospect of an appetizing lineup featuring two former No. 1 singles players in Agassi and Andy Roddick and the former top-ranked doubles team of Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan.

Ending weeks of speculation surrounding his status for Davis Cup, the 34-year-old Agassi officially announced he will play the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against visiting Croatia, March 4-6th at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Ending weeks of speculation surrounding his status for Davis Cup, the 34-year-old Agassi officially announced he will play the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against visiting Croatia, March 4-6th at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

"Over the last few weeks, I have had several conversations with Patrick McEnroe and all the members of the 2004 Davis Cup team," Agassi said in a statement. "As a result of those discussions, and their unwavering support, I have decided to play Davis Cup in 2005. The captain and players know that my life will not allow me to play every tie at this stage of my career. Still, they all expressed encouragement which is very much appreciated. I look forward to joining the team in Carson, California in March."

In his 10-year Davis Cup career, Agassi has compiled a 30-5 record — which puts him in second place behind John McEnroe (59-10 overall, 41-8 in singles) for most American Davis Cup singles victories — and has helped lead the United States to two Davis Cup championships. Patrick McEnroe announced Agassi will join, Roddick, the Bryan brothers and Taylor Dent on the squad for the first-round tie. Agassi and Roddick are the expected singles starters.

"Obviously, the plan is to go with Roddick and Agassi," McEnroe told the media in a conference call Monday night. "I wouldn't term Taylor Dent a practice partner, I consider him part of the team. Certainly, the plan going in would be for Andre and Andy to play singles."

The collective applause emanating from USTA headquarters in White Plains will presumably be followed by continuous ringing at the Ticketmaster offices. Agassi's presence will undoubtedly drive ticket sales so fast even the speedy radar gun the USTA brings out to measure Roddick's record-setting serves at home Davis Cup ties will have trouble catching up. Tickets for the three-day series can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (213) 480-3232 or online at Ticketmaster.com. Tickets range from $90 to $375 for all three days of the tie.

McEnroe, Roddick, the Bryan brothers and Mardy Fish helped restore the roar to Davis Cup by leading the U.S. to its first Davis Cup final in a decade last December. Now Agassi, the man whose pride in playing for his country prompted his current teammates to dream of playing Davis Cup when they were kids, has caught the buzz back from the players he inspired so many years ago.

Agassi and McEnroe are good friends and each knows the other brings much more to the table than a healthy appetite and the resources to pick up the tab.

"I was lucky enough to be on a Davis Cup team with Andre. I can tell you from that experience that he's a leader. He's a natural leader. He's a guy that is so gung-ho," McEnroe said. "One of the reasons he didn't play Davis Cup, strikingly enough, was because he was so gung-ho about it, because he felt like he didn't have what it takes to give, is what he said numerous times. I'm extremely happy, not from just a front of it gives us a better chance to win, but because of his aura, because of what he brings to the table as a person, as a competitor. I think that will help Davis Cup in this country. I think that will help our younger players, in addition to what he does off the court, quite obviously makes it a bigger event."

Though Agassi did not commit to playing the complete Davis Cup schedule this season, it stands to reason he will seriously consider playing future ties should the United States continue to progress through the Davis Cup draw. Should the U.S. beat Croatia it could host Romania in the Davis Cup quarterfinals, July 15-17th, if Romania beats Belarus in its opening-round tie on red clay in Brasov.

Agassi has become so adept at the ongoing art of juggling his multiple demanding roles — as a husband, father of two small children, an active leader in the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation and as a competitor trying to squeeze out the best tennis he can in the final stages of a 20-year-career — he could earn a spot in the cast of Cirque de Soleil without even auditioning. But Agassi has always held Davis Cup close to his heart. Rather than approaching his Davis Cup return as an opportunity for a victory lap while carrying the stars and stripes it's likely Agassi may well join the team for an extended run this year though he can't publicly commit to it given his extensive off-court obligations and the fact that competing with a chronically hip, Agassi himself can't say for certain how his health will hold up throughout a given month let alone an entire season.

"I would say we're going to take it one match at a time," McEnroe said. "To be honest, it's just just this match. To be honest, it's not every match. I think it's a case-by-case situation. You know he's not coming back simply to play in one match or to play because it happens to be the week before Indian Wells. At the same time, I didn't ask him to say 'Are you going to play every match?' I understand where he is in his career, personally, professionally, all the different things on his plate. We will take it one step at a time."

The first step may be one of the most intriguing of this Davis Cup trip. The United States could be tested by a Croatian team that conquered the U.S. 4-1 in the 2003 opening-round tie played on carpet in Zagreb. An injured Roddick sat out that tie as Ivan Ljubicic accounted for three victories to lead Croatia against a United States squad that featured James Blake, Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent.

Given the fact Croatia boasts three of tennis' top servers in Ljubicic, Mario Ancic and six-foot-10 Ivo Karlovic, you can understand why McEnroe was so adamant in his appeals to Agassi to play this tie.

"The fact is we have a tough first-round match against Croatia. They have two legitimate top 30 players," McEnroe said. "They beat us pretty good the last time we went over there. We're going to try to win this match and take it from there."

The third-ranked Roddick is 2-0 against Ancic, including a tight, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 victory in the Wimbledon semifinals last summer, and has won five of six meetings with Ljubicic. Agassi fought back from a two-set deficit to defeat Ancic, 5-7, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2, 7-5 in the second round of the 2003 Roland Garros and has split his two meetings with Ljubicic though the pair have not played each other in nearly four years.

Speed is not the strong suit for Ancic or Ljubicic so look for McEnroe to select a slow hard-court that will enable Agassi and Roddick to exploit Croatia's lack of mobility. In addition to his immense Davis Cup success, Agassi has the ability to wear out opponents in forcing them to run a series of sprints laterally that can sap the strength of their legs and lungs and could tire out the two Croatians who could conceivably be asked to play three best-of-five set matches in three days.

The best-of-five set format in Davis Cup competition may have also served as an allure for Agassi as it can benefit him in his preparations for Grand Slam play.

"To be honest, that was another selling point I used for him about Davis Cup," McEnroe said. "I said 'Listen, I don't think it can hurt you to play a couple of big matches in Davis Cup, a couple of best-of-five set situations, to keep you sharp and to keep you ready when you get to that quarterfinal at a major and you're playing a Federer or Safin or Roddick or somebody like that.' Because maybe he's not getting enough of those matches, so I I think he listened to that."

It's likely Agassi also listened to his body. Almost two months removed from his 35th birthday, Agassi is routinely giving up 10 years and more in age to his top rivals in Grand Slams. While the Rebound Ace surface of the Australian Open still presents Agassi's best shot of reaching another major final, he is in the unique position of trying to train his body to peak for the Slams without straining it. Agassi often says his offseason workouts with long-time fitness guru Gil Reyes are about "training smarter, not necessarily longer" and in playing Davis Cup he not only gains the best-of-five set match play, but a week's worth of practice with Roddick and Dent, which benefits players on both sides of the net.

"When he goes out on the court to practice, he doesn't waste any time. He takes care of his business, and he takes care of his other responsibilities, which are big," McEnroe said. "Come up with another player that's had more sort of off-the-court stuff and sort of responsibilities to deal with in tennis than Andre. There aren't that many of them. He handles it all with a lot of class and professionalism, bringing that I think to our young guys, who obviously have done a great job in getting to where they are, but you can learn a lot from Andre."

McEnroe has been candid in voicing his disappointment at the struggles young American men — Fish, Dent and Robby Ginepri — have had in majors. The captain is hoping Agassi's professional approach to preparing for ties and tournaments will influence the younger players and fuel their competitive fire and even if it doesn't the team will still boast the best starting singles tandem in Davis Cup if Agassi and Roddick, who are good friends and play frequent exhibitions, play more future ties together.

"Andy's already spent some time with him, a lot more time I think in sort of the last year and a half. They've played some exhibitions together," McEnroe said. "They've practiced together. I know he's looking forward to having Andre there just sort of day in, day out, during the week of preparation to learn from him. And Andre is the kind of guy that can learn from other people, too. He's not past the point where he thinks that he knows it all. So I think it will be a two-way street. But certainly the Bryan boys have said a dream of theirs is to be on the same team at Andre Agassi. If that could make them any more pumped up for a Davis Cup match, I guess it will."

Agassi is to tennis what neon lights are to the strip in Vegas and his presence brightens a Davis Cup competition that had lost some of its luster as prominent players ranging from top-ranked Roger Federer to Tim Henman to Carlos Moya, who lead Spain to the Davis Cup championship in December, have all announced they will skip Davis Cup play in 2005 due to scheduling demands.

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Very, very interesting... Thank you :) :kiss:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Not much else to say but :banana: I ordered a backup battery for my digicam today to make sure I can take a lot of pics...

Danielle will have to let us know where our seats are when the tix come! :dance:

Wwweeeeeeee I'm so excited!

I hope Mardy shows up there too, though - to give support.

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
yeah mardy courtside (slightly better than vinnie ice i hope, actually for sure really) will be cool!

deb and danielle, have fun at the tie, and could you please cheer extra loud for me? :)
i wanna be there in spririt, and i look forward to the pictures! :D

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PICS????????????

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Amanda's going too Amanda's going too!!! :yippee:

but yes, of course we will cheer extra loud. Andy playing Ljubicic should be enough to get us screaming pretty good :lol:

With two batteries and my memory card, I should be able to take about 500 pics :lol:

paige
02-08-2005, 05:34 PM
I feel like I'm going vicariously thanks to Debstah!

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I think Danielle is gonna try to sneak in her baby camcorder too. heh heh heh :devil:

And hey Paige, just returning the favor after you helped us live vicariously through you last week for Delray :)

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Well if Amanda's going then you'll have my silly partner to entertain you and obviously Danielle will do her part as well ;)

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 05:36 PM
oooo 500? so shall we expect motion pictures all the way through the match...so it can creat like a flip book moving image? :lol: ooo thatd be cool, but i'll be happy of yknow, pictures in general. im easily pleased!
could you please (if mardy comes) get a pic of andy and him together? theyre too sweet, theyre in love right?
oops, sorry amanda! you too you too, have fun you three! :) :)

paige
02-08-2005, 05:47 PM
I think Danielle is gonna try to sneak in her baby camcorder too. heh heh heh :devil:

And hey Paige, just returning the favor after you helped us live vicariously through you last week for Delray :)

Nice!!!
I'll rereturn the first weekend of Nasdaq, I hope!!

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
:rocker2: Sounds good, it's a deal *shakes hands*

Love the new siggy. Very colorful!

paige
02-08-2005, 05:56 PM
:rocker2: Sounds good, it's a deal *shakes hands*

Love the new siggy. Very colorful!

Thank ya! I never met a smiley I didn't like, either ;)
:rocker:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:56 PM
hahahah wait til we talk on MSN, I have about 200 smilies :banana:

But did you realize that with this sig, you kinda have Andy there? :angel:

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Deb.... :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
omg, what!?

paige
02-08-2005, 06:04 PM
hahahah wait til we talk on MSN, I have about 200 smilies :banana:

But did you realize that with this sig, you kinda have Andy there? :angel:

Yes, I did realize that. Now watch it or I'll break out that pic that sportsline used last night as my av. ;)

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Deb... :crying2: I need your help :crying2:

These days the guy who fixes my computer took off all my smileys on MSN and as I know you has all of them could you please send me? :crying2:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes, I did realize that. Now watch it or I'll break out that pic that sportsline used last night as my av. ;)

:haha: :haha: :haha: Please don't :sobbing:

OMG Renata, ALL Of them??????????????????

I can't log on anyway :(

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah :crying2:

Like... Carole gave me some but it's not all of them :sobbing: :crying2:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 06:13 PM
I have them in a zip file, but I can't get onto MSN

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Me neither....

FARE LA CACCA :mad:

paige
02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Me three (neither).

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 06:23 PM
I can't believe they're doing it again with us :mad: Yesterday night was about enough for this year :mad:

smucav
02-08-2005, 06:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1986673
ESPN.com: Tennis
Monday, February 7, 2005
Agassi's return brings hope for '05 Davis Cup
By Cynthia Faulkner
ESPN.com

After a long two weeks working as an ESPN analyst at the Australian Open, Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe took a detour through Las Vegas on his way home to New York.

McEnroe sat down with Andre Agassi and his coach Darren Cahill at a restaurant in the Bellagio Hotel and Casino. And they talked for hours about Davis Cup.

When McEnroe left, he still didn't know if he'd talked Agassi, who quit playing Davis Cup in 2000, into returning. But Agassi talked to current team members Andy Roddick, the Bryan brothers and Taylor Dent and last year's No. 2 player behind Roddick, Mardy Fish, about the possibility. Agassi must have been reassured because he agreed to return at least for the United States meeting with Croatia in Carson, Calif., to be aired on ESPN2 on March 4-6.

"They all expressed encouragement, which is very much appreciated," Agassi said in a statement Monday.

Agassi's return should prove to be a winner for American tennis in multiple ways as well as helpful to Agassi, McEnroe said in a conference call Monday.

To start off with, of course, Agassi sells tickets. In the Davis Cup ties the United States played at home last year the biggest turnout was in Charleston with an average of 9,317 per day. Their final against Spain in Seville sold out -- a record 27,000 strong. Tennis competes with so many other sports for attention in the United States and Agassi can draw some of that focus.

"It certainly brings more of a buzz to Davis Cup," McEnroe said. "I certainly think that some of our players can learn from Andre, and I think that's important to him, as well."

Roddick indicated as much at the Australian Open.

"I think we would all welcome him with open arms," Roddick said. "I think that can do nothing but positive things. Selfishly, I'd love to get in there and learn a lot more from him."

Roddick also helped with the lobbying.

"I kind of just wanted to let him know that we would like it … (he) has the support of our team," Roddick said. "That's kind of where I wanted to just get that point across."

McEnroe said that just because Agassi committed to play doesn't mean he will.

"It may not necessarily be Roddick, Agassi and the Bryans, whether it comes down to who is playing best, whether it comes down to surface, whether it comes down to injuries, et cetera," McEnroe said. "We're still going to need some other players I think to step in."

Yes, but surely captain, you wouldn't pull Agassi if he's not playing his best -- the way Spain did with former No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero in last year's final?

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it," McEnroe said. "If I'm going to pull Andre Agassi from a Davis Cup match, that means that -- that must mean we've got some players playing darn well, OK? So far that wouldn't have been an option at this point.

"If it gets to that, then I've got a good problem on my hands."

His current problem is Croatia, which defeated the United States 4-1 in the first round of 2003. But the only player returning from that team is Dent. With Roddick and Agassi on this team, the prospects are good.

Roddick has never lost a Davis Cup match on home soil, and Agassi just plain wins. In his 10 years of play in Davis Cup between 1988-2000, Agassi is 30-5 -- all in singles. Agassi's the second-winningest American in Davis Cup play. Still, McEnroe's not guaranteeing a win.

"I think it gives us a better chance to win," McEnroe said. "To be honest, I think we all know that."

Here's the catch, though. Agassi is 10-2 on clay -- the surface the United States lost the final on last year. The only problem is that those types of matches won't be played at home, where Agassi most likely will prefer to participate.

One reason Agassi chose to come back is that McEnroe assured Agassi he wouldn't be pressured to show up for every tie.

"Certainly home matches, I think is a better shot," McEnroe said. "He's going to make decisions based on how his body's feeling, how much work he's put in on the court, how well he does at the majors."

The first tie the team could face overseas might be Belarus in the second round. That would be after the double-whammy of the French Open and Wimbledon. It might be more than Agassi at 34 would want to play.

"I understand where he is in his career, personally, professionally, all the different things on his plate," McEnroe said. "We will take it one step at a time."

McEnroe hopes one of the first steps is for the players to learn more than just tips on how to play from Agassi.

"When he goes out on the court to practice, he doesn't waste any time," McEnroe said. "He takes care of his business, and he takes care of his other responsibilities, which are big. Come up with another player that's had more sort of off-the-court stuff and sort of responsibilities to deal with in tennis than Andre. There aren't that many of them. He handles it all with a lot of class and professionalism."

As for Agassi, he gets to be part of a special brotherhood the younger players have built and a chance for one more Davis Cup title to add to his collection of three.

"I think Andre saw that from a distance," McEnroe said. "I think he thought, 'Hey, this is something that I'd like to be involved in.'"

McEnroe also feels pretty strongly that this is a way for Agassi to remind people of everything he's done for Davis Cup.

"The fact that people say, 'Hey, how come Agassi doesn't play Davis Cup' is to me a crime," McEnroe said. "I think with him coming back and playing under the right conditions, his legacy should be written in a positive way."

The United States last won the Davis Cup in 1995 when Agassi was playing. In 2001, McEnroe inherited a team full of untried youngsters whose senior players refused to participate.

"One of the big frustrations for me always as a captain was to feel like, 'Wouldn't it be great if we could play everybody with our best team,'" McEnroe said. "Now we're going to have the possibility this year to do that."

Cynthia Faulkner is the tennis editor for ESPN.com.

heya
02-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Cry for Mc!!! :speakles: :help: :armed: :cuckoo: :hysteric: :crying2: :timebomb:

smucav
02-09-2005, 03:32 AM
:haha:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/tr_net_photos_art/RODDICK_usa_sm_dc_02.jpg
Andy Roddick and Pete Sampras led the US Davis Cup team in 2002.

aceit
02-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Beauuuuuutiful face Andy. :p

heya
02-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Roddick hater! I ban you!!

paige
02-09-2005, 03:58 AM
Roddick hater! I ban you!!

Uh oh, the jig is up!

superpinkone37
02-09-2005, 05:27 AM
wow this is awesome that Andre is going to play :woohoo: We get to see Andre!!! :bounce: My friend at school told me the news today he was so excited and he is not even going. It was the first thing out of his mouth after he said happy birthday and gave me a hug lol and it took me a while to believe him cuz I hadnt been on here in a while and I didnt know. But anyways, we are gonna have sooo much fun!!! :D

Deboogle!.
02-09-2005, 05:43 AM
I was waiting for you to find out!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Happy birthday to you, I guess ;)

Yes, we are gonna have a BLAST!!!!

According to the DC site and also on Ticketmaster (they have the tix now, can you believe it!) matches don't start til 1 on Friday. but according to the USTA they start at noon. Matches starting at 1 would reallllllyyyyyyy help me out.

superpinkone37
02-09-2005, 05:56 AM

hmmm...so the later the matches start the better for you then I take it? And I guess I will talk to you guys more about this soon like on msn but it looks like my mom is gonna have to work that first day for sure so I dont know exactly how the plans are gonna go quite yet. And my mom is making it kinda a weekend vacation for my sisters and cousin so were all gonna stay in the remote area. Anyways...I'll talk to you guys later about all of that.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Danielle, we'll talk, and see if I can somehow help.

It's better for me for it to start later on Friday so that I can go to at least one class on Friday morning and still get to the tennis in time. I can still get there if it starts at noon, it's just that 1 would leave some time for traffic (and this is LA we're talking about :lol: ) and also just let me get there early for parking and hanging out purposes.

smucav
02-09-2005, 04:26 PM
According to the DC site and also on Ticketmaster (they have the tix now, can you believe it!) matches don't start til 1 on Friday. but according to the USTA they start at noon. Matches starting at 1 would reallllllyyyyyyy help me out.ESPN2 begins coverage at 3:00 p.m. EST on Friday so the first match must start at noon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/scheduleWeek?date=20050228&sport=TN

smucav
02-09-2005, 06:32 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/scoop_020905.htmlTHE SCOOP: WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9
Agassi: This Davis Cup team more friendly
Bad back may be causing Andre's hip problem
By Matthew Cronin, TennisReporters.net

Andre Agassi says the current US Davis Cup team has a camaraderie he never felt on the '90s teams.

FROM THE SAP OPEN IN SAN JOSE – For Andre Agassi, hanging around the Andy Roddick and the Bryan Brothers during a Davis Cup exo in Alabama back in December must have seemed like the old, carefree days chugging brews with boys back at the Bollettieri Academy. The Las Vegan has played 35 singles matches in Davis Cup and was part of three championship teams, but never really felt like he was part of a close knit squad. He had no real friends on those teams, only rivals he respected: John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier, Michael Chang and Todd Martin, among others.

Those guys never hung out together like the main members of the 2004 squad did. Hell, even the other twenty-something Americans – Mardy Fish, James Blake, Taylor Dent and Robby Ginepri – chum around together. That's a big reason why Agassi will play the US's first round tie against Croatia, his first one in five years.

"Seeing these guys you realize what it wasn't," Agassi said of his prior Davis Cup experiences. "What it was pretty darn special, but what it wasn't was guys supporting each other and being around each other all year and coming together for a common goal. It was a different animal. We had a job to do to win the Cup and everyone went about it there own way from Chang to Pete to Jim to myself. When I look at these guys, I see something additional that would have been nice to be part of."

Agassi has been a welcoming figure to many of the younger players, most of who speak very highly of him. When he came on tour, he wasn't greeted with open arms by either John McEnroe or Jimmy Connors, the leading figures at the time.

"I was never comfortable or competing against or being around John or Jimmy," he said. "They were highly unique characters to say the least. I had to pay my dues. Now I see so many countries succeeding by taking each other in. It's nice to see our country do that now, our guys supporting each other."

The best team Agassi played on was the so-called Dream Team of 1992, when he, Sampras, Courier and McEnroe beat the Swiss for the title. However, he and Courier – who were friends as kids – had developed an intense rivalry and were no longer close. Sampras was actually mired in a bit of a slump, and the all-time great was relegated to playing doubles with McEnroe, who was at the end of his career, struggling with his personal life and not exactly a fatherly figure. Agassi himself was maturing and didn't closely connect with the rest of the team.

He has connected with this group, many of whom are a decade younger than he is.

"What had a big influence on me was the camaraderie I saw last year," Agassi said. "They've built a great team and are a part of something I never got to experience. I played Davis Cup with guys who were fighting to be best in the world and everyone had a sense of their own goals. They were helping the team by helping themselves. This group of guys really seems to look out for each other. I respect and admire it a lot."

MORE SCHEDULE FLEXIBILITY
Agassi hasn't played Davis Cup since April of 2000, but said the support he received from US captain Patrick McEnroe and the rest of the team in regards to not forcing him to play every day was also crucial.

"I had gotten to a point that I didn't have enough to give anymore when it came to the full goal of winning the Cup," said Agassi. "I did it for 12 years and wasn't convinced I could do it anymore and accomplish the things I needed to stay out here for the last few years. I never respected those guys who played at their convenience and didn't play all times, so I couldn't reconcile that I wanted to be a part of it, but not be able to play every time. Patrick was the first captain to show a strong sense of understanding and support in knowing it's not realistic for me to play every tie."

Agassi added that while he's doesn't believe he'll play every tie should the US reach the final, that he's not ruling it out. "Anything's possible," he said. "I never say never."

While Fish and Dent have yet to speak on the subject, the rest of the team has been supportive. So is 30-year Vince Spadea, who traveled with the team to Seville.

Vince Spadea is looking to move to LA.
"It adds a lot more firepower to the team and legendary status," Spadea said. "I was slightly surprised. It looks like Andre is ready to go on all cylinders this year. He's finalizing his demise by not leaving any stone unturned."

On court at the SAP Open, Agassi was in decent form in a 6-4 6-4 win over wild card Bobby Reynolds.

Bad back may be causing Andre's hip problem
In some breaking news from the eight-time Slam champ, Agassi recently discovered that the hip injury that nearly caused him to pull out of the Australian Open is actually the result of a swollen nerve in his back. He's seeing a doctor in hopes that they can manipulate the bones in his back so that the nerve doesn't push on them. If that doesn't work, he may have to take injections. But he appears optimistic.

"The nerve is recently swollen and the space in my back isn't as big as it used to be," Agassi said. "I need to reduce the swelling. But at least I'm clearer as to what the injury is."

Third-seed Tommy Haas also advanced, as did Jurgen Melzer, James Blake and Spadea, who's spending a lot of time in LA and may move there. Spadea is still working with Pete Sampras' junior tutor, Pete Fisher and could be taking part in an upcoming reality show. He's also rapping. One of his more catchy tunes is "Spadea ain't Afraid of Ya."

snaillyyy
02-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Very nice article!! thanks :D :D
But the image of a rapping Vinny http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/rapper.gif is still just to scary :eek: :bolt:

superpinkone37
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
LMAO that smiley!! :haha:

But anyways, Im so excited for DC! I wanna tape all the matches so I can watch them later and it will be cool cuz we will actually be there :D

smucav
02-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Very nice article!! thanks :D :D
But the image of a rapping Vinny http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/rapper.gif is still just to scary :eek: :bolt:As long as he isn't rapping at the DC tie, we probably won't have to see it.

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Oh now I bet Deb, Amanda and Danielle (and anyone else going) would just love a private rap session with Vinny :devil:

aceit
02-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Oh now I bet Deb, Amanda and Danielle (and anyone else going) would just love a private rap session with Vinny :devil:
I would cry for nights knowing that you guys got a private dession with Vinny and not me. :sad:

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 01:32 AM
No, Carole.

Let me tell you that the only one Vinny loves is you, so yeah... No private rap session with anyone (Ok, guys I'm trying to help you :lol: )

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Well Renata I cant help if he loves me :p ....but I would be more than happy to give him to everyone else :rolleyes: :p

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 01:45 AM
No, no... He's only yours! We don't want you to split up with him assuming you're a really sweet couple :)

That's the only reason I'm glad for not going :haha: Won't have to listen Vinny rapping :sobbing:

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 01:50 AM
he is not mine!! :smash: :smash: And the real reason Andre is playing this tie is so he can free up Vinny's schedule so he can make a personal trip to Brasil just to serenade you! http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/rapper.gif http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/rapper.gif http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/rapper.gif http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/rapper.gif

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Well so do you have a room for me? Please say sooooooo :haha: :angel: :lol:

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Oh so you are going to leave your family to entertain Vinny :haha: :lol: :lol:

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Duh

While he travels to Brasil I go to your house. When he starts missing you and decides to come back to you I go back home :sobbing: I like my plan :lol:

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Hope you are planning on staying over here for a very long time!!! :lol: :lol:

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Just when Vinny is not there to take care of you :haha:

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 02:11 AM
:lol: your just lovin' this aren't you "Miss Rogerer is sexay" :rolleyes: ;)

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Ok don't mess with Rogerer, ok? :mad: Cos Rogerer is sexay therefore sexay Rogerer is sexay and end of story :mad:

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 02:16 AM
:ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: : :bolt:

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Messing up with sexay Rogerer is like messing up with me, so you better be running really fast :mad:

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Messing up with sexay Rogerer is like messing up with me, so you better be running really fast :mad:
Carole, I have my rocket boosters if you need them.

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 02:43 AM
And I have sexay Rogerer to protect me :devil:

snaillyyy
02-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Carole, I have my rocket boosters if you need them.

Thanks Jen I would love to use them! Can they take me anywhere?

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 02:49 AM
Thanks Jen I would love to use them! Can they take me anywhere?
Yes they can.
Tytta, I could take sexay Roger because I am more sexay than him. My sexayness would overpower him.

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 02:51 AM
No, no one is more sexay than Rogerer, sorry Momma. When you see Rogerer in front of you you'll know why I say he's so sexay. Trust your filha once in your life :)

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 02:52 AM
No, no one is more sexay than Rogerer, sorry Momma. When you see Rogerer in front of you you'll know why I say he's so sexay. Trust your filha once in your life :)
I've trusted you before silly girl. But I am far more sexay than Roger. I've even had people tell me that I'm more sexay than Roger.

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 02:54 AM
No, the people who told you that you're more sexay than Rogerer are trying to make you feel better :haha:
Seriously, no one is as sexay as Rogerer and Amanda can tell you that

Amanda where are you? :scared:

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 02:56 AM
So basically you're saying that I'm not sexay. That's the meanest thing a filha could say to her momma :sad:

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 02:58 AM
I'm not saying you aren't :sobbing:

I'm saying that you aren't as sexay as Rogerer ;)

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Momma Jen still not happy. You can tell because I never talk in the 3rd person.

Tytta!.
02-10-2005, 03:01 AM
What can I do if you aren't as sexay as Rogerer? :sobbing:

But I still love you no matter what! :hug:

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 03:02 AM
What can I do if you aren't as sexay as Rogerer? :sobbing:

But I still love you no matter what! :hug:
Get Botox and plastic surgery.

smucav
02-10-2005, 07:49 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_AR_021005.html
On to Davis Cup again, where Roddick and the Bryan's support was key in getting Agassi to join the team. Yes, 22 and 24-year-olds can be understanding. :)

"None of us have the life he has," Roddick said. "We're a bunch of young punks still and he's got kids. :) [Agassi] plays less than we do anyway. If he can give out team that much more a boost, then we're going to be supportive. It makes it that much easier to put three points on the board. The added experience can bring a whole lot of confidence. I don't know if there's a whole lot of downside to it."

Agassi said that the camaraderie of the young guys that helped draw him back. Roddick remembers being a practice partner in April 2000 when Agassi, Pete Sampras and captain John McEnroe led the US to a quarterfinal victory over the Czechs. "I was the only one staying at the team hotel. I was 17 and I had the top floor of the Ritz Carlton in LA to myself. It was great." :)

MissFairy
02-10-2005, 08:06 PM
young punks :rolls:
you gotta give it to him, the guys got a way with words :p

smucav
02-11-2005, 02:31 AM
An Interview With: U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe (http://www.usta.com/protennis/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=149260)

An Interview With: U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe
2/8/05 2:59 PM

DAVID NEWMAN: Thanks, everybody, for joining us afternoon's US Davis Cup team announcement with Patrick McEnroe.
Before we come to Patrick, just a reminder that the US will take on Croatia in a World Group match March 4 through 6 at the Home Depot Center. One piece of news especially for the Los Angeles and California market, tickets are on sale now through a TicketMaster, 213-480-3232, or at ticketmaster.com.
Without stealing any of Patrick's thunder, throw it over to the US Davis Cup captain, Patrick McEnroe.

PATRICK McENROE: Thank you, David. Thanks, everybody, for being on here to make the announcement officially that our Davis Cup team for the first match, first-round match against Croatia will be Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi, Bob and Mike Bryan, and Taylor Dent will also be joining us during the week in Carson leading up to the matches.
I'm happy to take any and all questions.

Q. Taylor Dent as a practice player?
PATRICK McENROE: He'll be part of the team. Obviously, the plan is to go with Roddick and Agassi. I wouldn't term Taylor Dent a practice player, no. I consider him part of the team. You know, I've done this numerous times before. Certainly the plan going in would be for Andre and Andy to play the singles. Obviously, that could change.

Q. Is Andre's commitment just for the first match or does it go beyond that?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, you know, we talked at length about a lot of things. I would say we're going to take it one match at a time. To be honest, it's not just this match. To be honest, it's not every match. I think it's a case-by-case situation.
You know, he's not coming back simply to play in one match or to play because it happens to be the week before Indian Wells. At the same time I didn't ask him to say, "Are you going to play every match?" I understand where he is in his career, personally, professionally, all the different things on his plate. We will take it one step at a time.
The fact is, we have a tough first-round match against Croatia. They have two legitimate Top 30 players. They beat us pretty good the last time we went over there. We're going to try to win this match and take it from there.

Q. How did you get past that stumbling block? I knew you were going to try to tell him -- he was concerned about that aspect, about coming in for one or two matches, not playing every round.
PATRICK McENROE: Well, you know, look, I think we all understand - and I put myself in there because I have my media hat on sometimes as well - we all understand where Andre is in his career. To me, it doesn't make any sense to say to him, "Listen, you've got to play every match." Things happen, things come up, whether it's injuries, whether it's having a tough major, whether it's not having a tough major and maybe wanting some extra matches. I think you have to take all those things into account and understand that Andre is going to make the decision based on a variety of factors.
Obviously, his interest in coming back was strong. His interest was in what the guys in the team have started to create as a team, the camaraderie, the chemistry that they've developed. I think Andre saw that from a distance. I think he thought, "Hey, this is something that I'd like to be involved in."
Again, I don't feel it would be right to say to him, or to anybody, including Andy and including the Bryans on this, "If you don't agree to play every match, you can't play." It's unrealistic in the day and age of the schedule, how Davis Cup is set up, and the demands of the entire tennis schedule.
I feel good about the fact that Andre wanted to come back. I had to do some convincing, obviously, and answer some questions for him. But his interest came from himself. At the end of the day, I think that's what's driving him to come back: to be part of something special.

Q. How hard was the convincing? How long did it take you?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, we had a great dinner, I'll tell you that. Andre was planning on cooking me a nice steak at his house. Due to some things that came up on his home front, we had to suffer and go to one of his classy restaurants in town, which we did.
You know, he and I and Darren Cahill, his coach, sat for a couple of hours. I mean, it was at least two, two and a half hours. We talked about a lot of things. We talked about the experiences that Andre had in the past in Davis Cup and also about what I think -- we spoke about a lot of things. We had a great time.
I think that we covered pretty much every aspect you can imagine, the commitment that it will take, also his own experiences in the past, and what this team in the last few years has tried to put out there. So it's a great opportunity for tennis. I think it says a lot about the guys on the team in the last few years, that they basically were able to get Andre Agassi interested again in playing Davis Cup.

Q. You went to the Bellagio, is that correct?
PATRICK McENROE: One of the restaurants there, yes. It was very good.

Q. Who picked up the check?
PATRICK McENROE: Who do you think (laughter)? I'm sure the USTA would cover it.

Q. You were less than 50% sure Andre was going to play just a couple weeks ago. What really turned the tide? He always said he really didn't want to commit unless he was going to commit to the whole season. What's changed in the last sort of couple weeks?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, listen, I think Andre has gone about his decision making as far as not just related to Davis Cup, but to major tournaments, to big tournaments, on sort of a case-by-case basis. You know, most of that has been determined by physically how he's feeling, his own responsibilities with his family, now with a wife and with two kids. He has a lot of business that he attends to with his foundation and his charity and all those things, so he has a lot on his plate. He's a great juggler in managing all that.
What I just tried to say to him was, "Listen, there's no reason that you can't take the same approach when it comes to Davis Cup. There's no reason why you can't look at your commitment to play in a bigger picture as far as how it relates to preparing you for the majors, taking care of your own business, et cetera, and make those decisions as far as how they relate to Davis Cup just as you make them as far as, what is your schedule before the French Open or do you want to play Queen's before Wimbledon?"
I said, "Listen, to me it's wrong that you would make this decision so flat out and say, 'No, absolutely not.'" None of us like the Davis Cup schedule. It's not perfect. If it were perfect, it would be played once a year or once every other year and there would be no doubt about the top players playing every single time, just like there's no doubt that the top players play ever major, assuming they're healthy.
Obviously I'm sure Andre will answer some questions down the road, I think that struck a chord with him. So you all know, he wanted to call each member of the team personally before he made the final decision, which he did. He spoke to each guy on the team to make sure that they understood the scenario and the situation with him wanting to come back; not necessarily he's going to play every match, but maybe he will.
Obviously, as I told him, I felt like all the guys that were part of the team last year would welcome him back because it makes us a better team. It certainly brings more of a buzz to Davis Cup. I certainly think that some of our players can learn from Andre, and I think that's important to him, as well.

Q. I presume you've spoken to Spadea and the other guys.
PATRICK McENROE: I've spoken to pretty much everybody, yeah.

Q. I mean, concerning that Dent is sort of your fifth guy, what has been your reaction from Vince?
PATRICK McENROE: Everyone I've spoken to has been very positive about it. You know, look, everybody understands that Andre is in a unique situation and everybody understands how much he put into Davis Cup in his 12 years playing, and it was a lot. So everyone gives him the respect that he deserves.
He's going to bring a lot to the table. In addition to just what he brings as a player right now, I think overall how he can help our young players will be tremendous, not just this year but down the road. They all know that their future is still going to hopefully have Davis Cup be a part of it, whether it's Dent, Fish or Blake or Spadea, if he gets back in there. It's all been positive, at least from what they've told me.

Q. In addition to what you're hoping will be two singles points, can you talk about off the court more specifically, what having Andre Agassi as part of the team, what otherwise is a pretty young team, what having him there brings?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, you know, Andre is meticulous in how he prepares for things, whether it's having me to dinner in Vegas or whether it's a Davis Cup match, how he goes about his training regimen. That's why he's still playing top-level tennis approaching his 35th birthday, because he's a great player, but also because he takes it very seriously.
When he goes out on the court to practice, he doesn't waste any time. He takes care of his business, and he takes care of his other responsibilities, which are big. Come up with another player that's had more sort of off-the-court stuff and sort of responsibilities to deal with in tennis than Andre. There aren't that many of them. He handles it all with a lot of class and professionalism, bringing that I think to our young guys, who obviously have done a great job in getting to where they are, but you can learn a lot from Andre.
Andy's already spent some time with him, a lot more time I think in sort of the last year and a half. They've played some exhibitions together. They've practiced together. I know he's looking forward to having Andre there just sort of day in, day out, during the week of preparation to learn from him. And Andre is the kind of guy that can learn from other people, too. He's not past the point where he thinks that he knows it all. So I think it will be a two-way street.
But certainly the Bryan boys have said a dream of theirs is to be on the same team at Andre Agassi. If that could make them any more pumped up for a Davis Cup match, I guess it will.

Q. You would say that the US is guaranteed a victory this year, right?
PATRICK McENROE: I am no Patrick Ewing, okay? I will not make that, but I'm guaranteeing that the experience for all of us is going to be that much better. Obviously, if you win, it's a better experience. I think it gives us a better chance to win. To be honest, I think we all know that.
At the same time, it may not necessarily be Roddick, Agassi and the Bryans, whether it comes down to who is playing best, whether it comes down to surface, whether it comes down to injuries, et cetera. We're still going to need some other players I think to step in. That's why I'm happy that Taylor Dent will be there for the practice and be prepared. Certainly he could be a factor before it's all said and done on our team.

Q. As I look at the draw sheet, the strong clay court teams in there, Chile and Spain, would both be home to the United States if the US was fortunate enough to get that far. The final very possibly could be in Argentina. Did you and Andre talk that "If you only feel comfortable playing one more tie, we need you for a clay court match in Argentina if it comes to that"? Did you talk about clay court?
PATRICK McENROE: We didn't get to that point, no. As I said, my goal was to get Andre back for the first round. We got to win the first round, to be honest, before we can get further down the road.
Let's put it this way, and Andre never told me this, nor did I ask him, but I'd be shocked if we won the first round and that was the only match that Andre played. Obviously, a lot of things can happen. Maybe he wins Wimbledon and he retires. Who knows?
I'm just saying there's so many things that can happen over the course of this year, and that's one of the things I stressed with Andre. He says, "Look, I'm reevaluating how much longer I want to play constantly." Of course, he's constantly getting asked questions by the press about it. Meanwhile, he's still playing top tennis. So that's something he's got to deal with himself fairly regularly.
The answer to your question is, no, we didn't bring it up. I wanted to get Andre back in the fold. I think he's going to have a great experience. I think that will impact his decision-making as we go along.

Q. What was the side dish at dinner?
PATRICK McENROE: There was a lot on the menu. We had a little fish. We had a lot of everything. Very, very solid.

Q. Obviously in Australia Federer pretty much dominated with his serve, and Andre it seemed really couldn't break down Federer's backhand. How would you compare today's Agassi with Agassi at his peak?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, I for one thought Andre came out of the gates in that match going for too much. I thought he almost came out with too much respect for Federer.

Q. Did that surprise you?
PATRICK McENROE: It surprised me a little bit, yeah. I mean, I knew that I think Andre thought he would have to go a little bit bigger than normal. But I thought he went too much to that extreme. I think he was almost so pumped up for it that he almost got too excited, which is surprising because Andre's played so many big matches.
To be honest, that was another selling point I used for him about Davis Cup. I said, "Listen, I don't think it can hurt you to play a couple of big matches in Davis Cup, a couple of best-of-five situations, to keep you sharp and to keep you ready when you get to that quarterfinal at a major and you're playing a Federer or Safin or Roddick or somebody like that," because maybe he's not getting enough of those matches. So I think he listened to that.
As far as where he is, clearly he's not the dominant guy he was, but he's also playing a more limited schedule. In my mind, he's playing top four, top five tennis. He's played last two majors. He certainly played Federer as well as anybody did at the US Open last year. Obviously, it was more one-sided at Australia. But he beat Johansson in four sets, who is playing top 10 tennis. You know, come up with a couple other players that have beaten him since the summer last year. It's pretty clear to me he's a top five player.

Q. Is there such a thing in tennis as aura? Can you talk about that? Andre Agassi, whether he's on the bench or on the court, does he bring an aura, an intangible?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, there's no doubt about that. I mean, I was lucky enough to be on a Davis Cup team with Andre. I can tell you from that experience that he's a leader. He's a natural leader. He's a guy that is so gung-ho. One of the reasons he didn't play Davis Cup, strikingly enough, was because he was so gung-ho about it, because he felt like he didn't have what it takes to give, is what he said numerous times.
I'm extremely happy, not from just a front of it gives us a better chance to win, but because of his aura, because of what he brings to the table as a person, as a competitor. I think that will help Davis Cup in this country. I think that will help our younger players, in addition to what he does off the court, quite obviously makes it a bigger event.

Q. What does this do to change the atmosphere? How much does this add to the event?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, hopefully it's going to make tickets go a lot faster, I can probably guarantee you that. But, as I just said, I think it makes it more of a happening. I really feel that our guys on our team have got Davis Cup back with a lot of energy in the last couple of years because of the emotion they bring, the success that we've had. We haven't won it, but we've made the semis, we've made the finals. We had tremendous support in Delray Beach, Winston-Salem, Oklahoma City, Charleston last year. We've had a lot of really great Davis Cup weekends.
You know, in my mind, it's like these guys have set the table, and now Andre's coming to sit at one end of the table, Andy is at the other end and the Bryans are each on one side.
In my mind, it helps the whole situation. It helps our guys feel like, "Hey, we've got our best team now." One of the big frustrations for me always as a captain was to feel like, "Wouldn't it be great if we could play everybody with our best team." Now we're going to have the possibility this year to do that.

Q. If you had to put a number on it right now, how many events would you say Andre will play in?
PATRICK McENROE: I can't put a number on that, but I'm going to start with one and take it from there.

Q. He had been so steadfast about, "I'm not interested in playing," since he played that LA tie. How surprised were you that he said he had an interest?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, I always knew that when you talk to Andre and you look him in the eye and you mention Davis Cup, his eyes flicker a little bit. He's got a lot of great experiences about Davis Cup. So I always kept him in the loop as far as what we were doing with the team, if he ever changed his mind, I talked to him often about playing again.
When I spoke to him after we won the semifinal last year, he sort of hinted to me at the time that he was considering -- it was something he was considering for next year, meaning this year.
We spoke in Australia a couple times. I spoke with Darren Cahill during the tournament. When Andre went back to Vegas after he lost, I called him a few days later. When I spoke to him on the phone, he basically was still extremely hesitant. In fact, he told me if he had to commit at that time, he'd have to say no.
But I sensed it was worthwhile for me to jump on a plane. I just sensed that he was still teetering. If there was a chance of him still coming back, I said, "Listen, would it help if I came to visit, stopped on my way back from Australia?"
He said, "You're more than welcome. It would be great. We'll sit down and talk."
I sort of took that as a green light that, "Hey, there's still a chance." In my mind, I had to exhaust that possibility as the captain, for the good of our team, to try to get Andre understanding all of the variables. I still wasn't sure when I left Vegas Tuesday morning. I flew home. Andre called me the following day, I think it was Wednesday, and told me that he wanted to play.
I didn't know at all until he called me. He wanted to talk it over with his wife, with his team. But I think I was able to answer some of his questions and some of the dilemmas that he was facing and push him over the top.
As Darren Cahill told me when we spoke in Australia, he had to see the look in Andre's eyes. Andre has to be into it. I'm happy to say that he is into it, and he wouldn't be coming back if he wasn't a hundred percent sure of coming back, because that's the way he does things.

Q. Did you get a sense at all during all of this of where Darren was leaning?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, Darren's Australian, so he's got a nice place in his heart for Davis Cup. Darren's job is to be there for Andre and to basically talk everything out with Andre and go through the positives and negatives.
I don't think he was saying no, to be honest, but at the same time you've got to take the lead from Andre. Obviously, he was helpful because at the end of the day Andre said yes. I've spoken to Darren a couple of times, and we've already started talking about things in preparation. He seems extremely gung-ho about it.

Q. There was a lot of talk in Australia, obviously three Top 10 players pulled out of Davis Cup, then there's always frustration that the US may not be always as interested in Davis Cup. I don't think the rest of the world considers how much competition tennis has with other sports. But what do you think this does for the US in saying to the rest of the teams, "Look, we're putting our best foot forward," and a number of the other teams have had some of their top players pull out?
PATRICK McENROE: To be honest with you, that's not my concern. I could bang my head against the wall all day and go to conclude captains meetings and state my opinion. The bottom line is it doesn't matter. The bottom line is, you're right, there are top players that have already said they're not playing. The reason they're not playing is not because they don't care about representing their country, it's just that at some point it's too much. At some point, all the responsibilities of being a top player, for better or worse, it's just a fact. You can argue all you want, "They should still play for their country no matter what." I would love them to do that. Imagine if Agassi had played the last four years, we probably could have won this thing once or twice.
But that doesn't happen. You've got to deal with the reality of the situation. I'm excited because when I took the job, I wanted to get our guys that were really committed and that were showing a lot of enthusiasm and energy, obviously being great players that we have now in Roddick, the Bryans, the other guys that have stepped in, have done a great job. They deserve a lot of credit for rebuilding the buzz back in Davis Cup. That buzz is part of the reason Andre is coming back.
I try not to think too much about that bigger picture because I'm going to get too frustrated. So I'm just going to be happy that we've got a good thing going. I think we're going to do great in LA. Let's hope that we take it from there. You've got to focus on the positives. Sure, we would love Davis Cup to get more pub in the US, et cetera. It is what it is. We love it. The players are committed to it. I think that counts.

Q. Does location have any influence on how Andre is looking at this? If we stay in the US, is he pretty much committed or does that make a difference? Did he say?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, I would say -- I'm not going to go either direction as far as, I wanted Andre to play the first match. I look at every match on sort of a case-by-case situation. As I just talked about the frustration of Davis Cup and the schedule overall, may be the only way to go about that, because of the physical pressures and the mental pressures on all the players, particularly the top guys that are holding a lot of responsibility for their own country and then playing the Masters, all the big tournaments, the slams, et cetera.
Certainly home matches I think is a better shot. But Andre and I did not talk about, "You're definitely going to do this, you're definitely not going to do that." We're going to have an open discussion and we're going to understand where he's at physically and mentally, what his schedule looks like, where we play the next match.
The first thing is taking care of Croatia because they've got a darn good team. Ivan Ljubicic won three points against us a couple years ago. Not too many players have done that against the US ever. We've got our hands full in the first match. I'm happy to have Andre back for that one. We'll cross the next bridge hopefully when it arises.

Q. You mentioned somehow it would also depend on how people were playing at the time. Would you do something like Spain did with Juan Carlos Ferrero with Agassi, if he weren't playing well at the time, would you pull him?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, I mean, look, obviously -- can I repeat what I just said? We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. If I'm going to pull Andre Agassi from a Davis Cup match, that means that -- that must mean we've got some players playing darn well, okay? So far that wouldn't have been an option at this point.
If it gets to that, then I've got a good problem on my hands.

Q. Did Andre, watching the US team lose in Seville, think, "Well, if I was there, maybe we would have had a better shot" go into any kind of decision about this year? As you were talking about before, you asked him last fall, Andy asked him last fall, the Bryans asked him to play last fall.
PATRICK McENROE: You know, I didn't get that indication from him. I think it was building for a lot longer than that. I think Andre saw from afar what these guys have brought to the table and how their passion and their camaraderie and their teamwork was something that I think he wanted to be part of. Whether or not it was one particular match...
He wasn't over the edge certainly when I spoke to him in Australia. It wasn't like he said right after Spain, "Hey, I'm in. I want to win this thing."
He wants to win it. But, as I told him, this is a bigger picture than just us wanting to win. For me it is anyway. Look, we want to win, obviously. But at the same time I think it would be great for tennis. I think it would be great for Andre. For all Andre Agassi has done in Davis Cup, the fact that people say, "Hey, how come Agassi doesn't play Davis Cup" is to me a crime. I think with him coming back and playing under the right conditions, his legacy should be written in a positive way. This is a guy who carried the Davis Cup team for many years and was a big part of what the US was doing.

Q. Four days before you went there, Andre talked about it, and he sounded pretty much like how he sounded back in the fall, saying he loved Davis Cup, had great memories, but he still had the same questions that he always had. When you sat down with him at dinner, what was the pertinent question that you had to answer for him that took him over the mountain this time?
PATRICK McENROE: I'll tell you what it was for me. I'm not going to put words in Andre's mouth because he's one of the great speakers out there. I'm sure he'll answer some of those in the following week when you guys speak to him.
I will just say from my standpoint, Andre was having a dilemma about committing to play every single match, and something that he always felt was extremely important when it came to Davis Cup, and the reality that it was going to be very difficult for him to do that. You know, just clearly 100%, yes, I can play every match, no matter what.
I told him, "Listen, I'm not asking you to do that, nor are any of the guys on the team, nor does anybody expect that you're going to do that right off the bat."
I don't expect him to do that. If it comes to it, when it comes to those questions, we'll sit down, we'll talk about it. There's too many things that can happen between now and the next match, if we somehow get past Croatia, then between that match and the semifinals if we somehow get there.
As I said to Andre, "Don't cut off your options by saying it's all or nothing, because to me it's not." We've never had a year where we've had the same four guys every match. It's too unrealistic for that to happen, with injuries, with different surfaces, with schedules, you name it.
For him to make that decision, I just tried to convince him that to me that wasn't a deal-breaker. Nobody is going to question him in a way that is saying, "Hey, you're pulling out of Davis Cup just because you don't want to play." He's going to make decisions based on how his body's feeling, how much work he's put in on the court, how well he does at the majors, et cetera.
We're going to make that decision together. I and the rest of the team understands how we're going to approach each match.

RANDY WALKER: Thank you, Patrick, for joining us today. See you in Carson March 4, 5 and 6.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

superpinkone37
02-11-2005, 02:37 AM

blosson
02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm saying that you aren't as sexay as Rogerer ;)

Do you really mean Rogi's sexay? Or is it a joke.... :confused:

fanancic
02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
GO CROATIA!!!!!!
GO MARIO ANCIC!!!!!!!!

Tytta!.
02-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Do you really mean Rogi's sexay? Or is it a joke.... :confused:

:haha: :spit:

No, I'm serious :lol: ;)

Golfnduck
02-11-2005, 07:09 PM
joke? what joke? why would you think it's a joke? don't you know renaterer is only ever completely serious? d: (:
She's always serious, she never jokes :devil:

Tytta!.
02-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm an angel and angels never ever lie ;)