Who are the top contenders? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who are the top contenders?

Guille_ElMago
11-26-2004, 04:29 AM
Andy Roddick-He just been playing really well in Australia.
Roger Federer
Marat Safin-Been to the finals couple of times, this time he could win it
Andre Agassi- look out for Andre, he'll want to retire with another slam to his record

Darkhorses:
Guillermo Coria- look out he might pull off a couple upsets if he's at his best
Lleyton Hewitt- has never played good in his country's slam but it might change this year

Daniel
11-26-2004, 05:32 AM
Safin
Federer
Andy
LLeyton

joeb_uk
11-26-2004, 07:20 AM
safin
federer
nalbandian

joeb_uk
11-26-2004, 07:21 AM
remember nalbandians run last year, he won kooyong (and then destroyed everyone in the ao until he met federer, so if he has a good draw he has a great chance)

Ferrero Forever
11-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Ferrero will do well, so don't rule him out yet

joeb_uk
11-26-2004, 10:23 AM
I dont think he will actually, nalbandian actually showed good results after his injury. At the moment ferrero is just a relic, and he wont have long to regain matchplay and strength before the AO. so to be honest, i cannot see any possible chance of ferrero competing for the tournament. Maybe he can get to the 4th round at best!

trulliscorpion
11-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger, Marat, Roger and Roger. :p

As for players who can possibly be ---finalists---:

Nalbandian is playing well lately.
Anyone on the Masters except Gaudio.
And don't rule out Agassi!

sprinterluck
11-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Title contenders:
Roger
Marat
Andre

Possibly reach the Semis:
Lleyton
Andy
Nalbandian
Moya

Daniel
11-27-2004, 06:03 AM
Nalbandian needs to get in shape if he wants to win the AO

bad gambler
11-28-2004, 10:36 AM
federer and hewitt

hewitt's only chance is if federer gets knocked out by someone else

ste
11-28-2004, 12:28 PM
federer and hewitt

hewitt's only chance is if federer gets knocked out by someone else

That's it bad gambler!! :yeah:

trulliscorpion
11-28-2004, 09:11 PM
That's it bad gambler!! :yeah:

Absolutely :lol:

*Ljubica*
11-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Federer
Safin
Nalbandian
Hewitt

Dark horses..........

Henman
Ferrero
Joachim Johansson

Guille_ElMago
11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
i think the only problem for hewitt would be federer. If wasn't for him i think he could beat all the other players. Maybe Safin, Moya, Roddick,or Agassi could help take out Federer. I think Lleyton will do better than his other disappointing runs at the aussie open in previous years. This year could be his year to win.

Aleksa's Laydee
11-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Safin and Joachim ;)

BIGMARAT
12-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Title contenders:
Federer
Safin
Agassi
Hewwit

Darkhorses:
Nalbandian
Coria

Spoilers to contenders-possible semis appearance:
Rodick
Joachim Johannson
Ferrero
Robredo

dylan24
12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
federer will win it.

tennisman.
12-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Hate to say it but if Federer plays his best,nobody else has no chance

bad gambler
12-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Hate to say it but if Federer plays his best,nobody else has no chance

if federer plays at 80% no one has a chance...and that's the scary thing about his dominance

dylan24
12-02-2004, 05:35 AM
already bet on federer at +115 to win

Guille_ElMago
12-02-2004, 08:01 PM
I bet all the vcash that I had, which is about only 400 on Marat to win. If he fixes his problems that he had when he played Federer in Houston, Marat's got the win. If Hewitt plays at the top of his game, I think he will also get to semifinals or better unless he runs into Federer.

WyveN
12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Apart from all those mentioned, Moya can go to at least the semis. He was playing very well in Australia in 2004 before his injury.

Fergie
12-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Roger, Marat and Andre ... But Rogi will win :angel:

Auscon
12-04-2004, 02:48 AM
Philippoussis

...you never know...

Fedex
12-05-2004, 07:11 AM
remember nalbandians run last year, he won kooyong (and then destroyed everyone in the ao until he met federer, so if he has a good draw he has a great chance)
Very true, so I think he has an excellent chance, it healthy and fit.

Fedex
12-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Apart from all those mentioned, Moya can go to at least the semis. He was playing very well in Australia in 2004 before his injury.
Yes, and Moya should do well here; the surface should suit his game well.

ae wowww
12-05-2004, 10:58 AM
What is the point of threads like this?! They are a thing of the past, it is foregone conclusion that Federer will never lose. Shame, used to be fun tossing around names as potential winners. Thanks Roger.

Guille_ElMago
12-05-2004, 06:51 PM
no one, not even federer can just keep winning, in all sports there has been a team or player that has gone on some long winning streaks, but eventually there winning streak is broken because their opponents improve their games to keep up with them. whether it's andy r, lleyton, or marat, someone is eventually going to beat roger.

ae wowww
12-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Is it possible someone other than a big name, could upset him, simply because their games repel?

JuanChuffy007
12-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Marat en JC Ferrero :)
And Federer of course...

Pina
12-06-2004, 11:24 AM
What is the point of threads like this?! They are a thing of the past, it is foregone conclusion that Federer will never lose. Shame, used to be fun tossing around names as potential winners. Thanks Roger.

so very true.
Federer is a great player but now I almost lost the interest to watch any of his games(except playing with Safin). :rolleyes:

tennisman.
12-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Is it possible someone other than a big name, could upset him, simply because their games repel?

No

Guille_ElMago
12-06-2004, 06:42 PM
i don't think the upset would happen because their games repel, because the marat,lleyton, and andy are all doing whatever they can to better their games and compete on federer's level. they would beat roger because they caught up to his level of play and found out how to beat tim.

Leena
12-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I still consider Agassi the favorite... that's if he still plans to train hard for this tournament.

Rebound Ace suits his game perfectly. Andre will still be very tough to knock off in Melbourne.

Andre ran into Safin last year, who played as well as he possibly could.

I also think there's a chance Roger goes home early. If he plays a Berdych type, a consistent player in the early rounds, that can spell doom for Roger on these courts if he's a bit off.

Domino
12-07-2004, 12:21 AM
I still consider Agassi the favorite... that's if he still plans to train hard for this tournament.

Rebound Ace suits his game perfectly. Andre will still be very tough to knock off in Melbourne.

Andre ran into Safin last year, who played as well as he possibly could.

I also think there's a chance Roger goes home early. If he plays a Berdych type, a consistent player in the early rounds, that can spell doom for Roger on these courts if he's a bit off.

Berdych is not a consistent player, and had an on day, that's all. At a slam, Roger now knows better than to take any match likely like he does sometimes at other tournaments. Roger wont be challenged until the quarters.

In terms of Contenders, the Federer, Safin, Hewitt, and Volandri of course. ;)

Gigan
12-07-2004, 02:23 AM
Dark horses..........

Henman
Ferrero
Joachim Johansson
It seems they are toooo dark... ;)

But, who knows?...

Guille_ElMago
12-08-2004, 05:35 PM
does anyone think that rafi nadal can be considered someone to pull off an upset?

Dr. Laborious
12-10-2004, 04:27 AM
Moya has had a very good year and ended it on a high. It all depends on what he's doing now, celebrating the davis cup win or anxious to keep this roll going into next year. If it's the latter, I think he's got a very good chance of winning the whole thing. The surface suits him (reached the final once) and he had a good preparation going last year before he got injured and had to miss it. He also pushed Federer all the way in Houston on a faster surface.

He's got a good chance IMO.

Daniel
12-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Moya is good but i dot see him better than 4R

Dr. Laborious
12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Not better than what he did at Wimbledon this year?

BAMJ6
12-13-2004, 04:30 AM
If i was a betting man, i'd have Agassi-Federer II as the AO final where the Melbourne Master will get his revenge.

He'd do the same thing he did to Sampras in AO 2000, avenge a recent GS loss
(Sampras beat him in Wimbledon 1999)

BIGMARAT
12-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Federer is is really above the rest when it matters.

But Safin is getting there!!! he just needs to believe.

espanol04
12-20-2004, 12:29 AM
Andy and Andrei

missroddickfan
12-20-2004, 02:05 PM
possible winners:
#1-2-3-4 of the ranking
(Federer - Roddick - Hewitt - Safin)

possible semis reachers:
Agassi - Moya

Becool
12-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Joachim
Safin
Federer
Roddick
I think they're the top contenders...

Adman
12-20-2004, 08:27 PM
I think that some of the top contenders for the Australian Open are:

Andy Roddick
Lleyton Hewitt
Rodger Federer (The likly favortie to win this year)
Don't forget Agassi.

playwithmybanan
01-03-2005, 02:37 AM
my $0.02:

It's hard to fathom Federer losing to anyone in a best of 5 set match on any surface other than clay. A small name might take a set or two, but they'd get killed by nerves if they thought they had a chance at taking him out in an early round at a grand slam.

It seems like every year, people say it's hewitt's year to do well at the AO. It reminds me of the Toronto Maple Leafs in hockey. every year, it's their year, but it never is. I'm from toronto, and hewitt's my favourite, but if he makes the quarters i'd be surprised and happy.

if safin plays well, he's very hard to beat. unfortunately he seems to wear himself out in 5 set matches. he's so erratic that he drops at least a set or two between sets where he's brilliant. by the time the finals come around, he's dead tired.

tommy haas i think could make the 4th round or the quarters. i expect guillermo coria to reach around the same place because he's been practicing while other people are on vacation, and he may actually he adjusted to playing on rebound ace.

playwithmybanan
01-03-2005, 02:40 AM
as for agassi, i don't think he'll do any better than he did last year. he doens't play enough, and each passing year makes it worse. he won't win it, unless federer and safin both lose early. he has roddick's number for some reason. probably a mental thing.

roddick just plain won't win. he's been figured out by too many people. there's nothing surprising about his game. you come in expecting big serving and big forehands, and that's what you get. hewitt demolished him in the masters cup semis. he seems to want to go to the net more, but he's not good at it, and that just hurts him. he's not a volleyer, never will be. he'll make it far until he reaches someone that can either return his serve, or someone with a big serve of their own.

Gigan
01-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Andre!

Nalbandian
Hewitt, no, sorry, he not...
Safin instead

:wavey: Andre Agassi forever :wavey:

elletrista
01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Federer, Roger
Roddick, Andy
Hewitt, Lleyton

And Willy Cañas 3 Tournaments in 2004 And Semi in Paris.-

Willy is your oportunity....

Gigan
01-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Federer, Roger
Roddick, Andy
Hewitt, Lleyton

And Willy Cañas 3 Tournaments in 2004 And Semi in Paris.-

Willy is your oportunity....

Andre!

And you ----> change your avy! :p

:wavey: Andre Agassi forever :wavey:

JuliC
01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Lleyton, Andre, Marat and Roger

CarloBelgium
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
watch out for the X-man Malisse !! ;) :D

Idril
01-06-2005, 01:08 PM
well being the eternal optimist that i am (haha) i WISH it would be Mario Ancic!

but i think Federer of course because he's just so much better than everybody else.

i don't envisage Roddick winning. he has no game; just a big serve. maybe a bit harsh but hey, he is not one of my favourites

the courts don't suit Hewitt so much. it'd be quite funny if he won after getting in a tizz about the speed, but i don't think he will:D

Safin could win.

Moya has a chance i suppose.

Henman's played a really good year. he could get to the semis and depending on who he ends up with there...maybe the final? but if he meets Ancic anywhere along the way, forget it:D

bsmcat
01-07-2005, 12:49 AM
In my opinion no one other than Rodger Federer really has a chance to win. If, Rodger does lose I would go for Llyeton Hewitt or Andre Agassi.

Iza
01-07-2005, 01:05 AM
if Safin plays like he did in the Hopman Cup...then he's not gonna go past the 2nd round..only if he's really lucky. but if he concentrates he might win it.

JuliC
01-07-2005, 08:27 AM
if Safin plays like he did in the Hopman Cup...then he's not gonna go past the 2nd round..only if he's really lucky. but if he concentrates he might win it.

Safin played bad, cause he arrived very late in Perth. And the jet-lag didn't help either. I think if he prepares well for the Australian Open, he has a chance.

perrygreen
01-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Federer is above all others in terms of technique, stability, confidence and mentality so I think he is going to win it.

Others who have a chance:
hewiit/Roddick/Agassi will have a chance only if Federer is kicked out by someone else but it's quite unlikely.
Safin if he is VERY confident (usually not the case:o), can keep his HEAD cool (only sometimes :timebomb: ) and does not lose in early rounds (God knows!:unsure: :shrug: :o )
Moya may have a chance too

Coria, Nalbandian, Henman and Nadal may make quaterfinals.