Roland Garros Tips & Practical Info [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roland Garros Tips & Practical Info

Pages : [1] 2 3

CooCooCachoo
11-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey :)

I am contemplating going to Roland Garros next year, because I will have the time ( and hopefully the money too :lol: ) :)

I want to ask people who have experience with attending RG if they have any practical information and tips to share. I want to thank Rosie and FrogBurger for already having helped me quite a bit :hug:

Also, who of you are planning on going to RG 2005 as well?

:bigwave:

_________
Martijn

ae wowww
11-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I am going :D for week one...

CooCooCachoo
11-24-2004, 12:54 PM
:D But you won't see much of Jim then ?

joeb_uk
11-24-2004, 02:51 PM
BUY a digital camera! and buy a nice big sd card. 256 mb at least ;) 512mb or 1 gig would be good

FrogBurger
11-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Hmm, RG. I think its a great tournie. ive heard that of the Grand Slams it is the worst for meeting players. I have no basis for experience cause ive never been to another slam. The seats are great. on the outside courts you can sit real close, front row. the ground passes are 13 euros i think. the prices went up, they might actually be 18 euros, and 13 for the qualifiers. RG is outside of paris, but it is only about 30 minutes by subway. I love it there. the food is not really expensive, sandwiches are 4 or 5 euros, beer is 5 euros. It is pretty sunny that time of year so bring along some sun tan lotion. gotta run, will write more later,

ae wowww
11-24-2004, 03:39 PM
:D But you won't see much of Jim then ?

Obviously I would love Jim to make the second week, and as he is giving me the credential I would probably stay for as long as he is in. But if he does not make it to Week 2, we will both go back to England for Surbiton.

Here is what a friend told me recently of RG:

It’s not as good as other tournies.
************ [20:41]: Full of french kids most of the first week
************ [20:41]: Like bedlam, but worse.
************ [20:41]: They are v. badly behaved
************ [20:42]: and in the second tics are expensive
************ [20:42]: its only worth going if you get tickets beforehand...
************ [20:45]: but make sure you have a guarantee because tout prices are ridiculous
************ [20:45]: like £50 min for a groundpass (that cost about £10) a day
************ [20:45]: there are thousands of hotels
************ [20:46]: you need one that has access to either buses that go Porte d-Auteil or metro to Porte D'Auteuil
************ [20:46]: RG is south west paris just inside the Periphique
************ [20:47]: there are various etap and ibis hotels.
************ [20:47]: around the edge of the periphique quite cheap
************ [20:48]: Ibis hotels on edge or outside Periphique about 55 Euros a day
************ [20:49]: the ibis hotels inside the main Paris centre about 100 Euros a day

*Ljubica*
11-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Martijn - you know I'll be there at least for the first week, but probably for as long as David is :) I tend to agree with Andrew's comments about the French kids - but imo the Spanish ones at Madrid Masters' are FAR FAR worse :devil: As for meeting players - I tend to know the ones I want to spend time with anyway if that makes sense, - so I've never really thought about it much - but I would think Roland Garros is easier than Wimbledon in that regard. Practice courts are very accessible at RG and I've seem most players stop and talk to fans on their way back to the Clubhouse, whereas at Wimbledon for example - all practice facilities are cordoned off and it always looks quite difficult for autograph hunters etc.

ae wowww
11-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Let's keep this great thread going :D Any other suggestions/tips anyone?

Ballbuster
11-24-2004, 05:42 PM
to the british people: Do you drive, take the eurostar, or bus/ferry to Paris?

Choupi
11-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey I'll be there too! Still don't know exactly when but surely at the end of the 1st week.

And yes Rosie, you're right about the kids making so much noise but it's some kind of tradition. Mostly on wednesday coz it's what we call the kids'day. As most of them don't have classes on this day, many clubs organize the trips of their kids players. :rolleyes:

And yes it is likely to be very sunny some days so don't forget your suntan lotion. :cool: But don't forget also your umbrella coz the weather may change very quickly!

Eruwen
11-24-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm actually thinking about going to RG next year too! I can't say for sure right now though... It will all depend on my financial situation and the ability to take days off then... But I definitely want to!

I tend to agree with Andrew's comments about the French kids - but imo the Spanish ones at Madrid Masters' are FAR FAR worse :devil: Oh god.... don't get me started on them! Were you in Madrid this year?

CooCooCachoo
11-24-2004, 07:26 PM
:lol: I hate those noisy kids. If I go, I'll be sure to take a day off on Wednesday :lol:

Eruwen :bounce: Jaaa da's leuk ga ook :)

CooCooCachoo
11-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks btw ae wowww :)

Eruwen
11-24-2004, 07:40 PM
:lol: I hate those noisy kids. If I go, I'll be sure to take a day off on Wednesday :lol:

Eruwen :bounce: Jaaa da's leuk ga ook :) But what if Tommy's playing that day? :p

I might actually be able to go... If I have a job, that is. But, if all goes well, I should have one :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
11-24-2004, 07:46 PM
But what if Tommy's playing that day? :p

I might actually be able to go... If I have a job, that is. But, if all goes well, I should have one :yeah:

:woohoo: What kind of job?

And if Tommy plays, I can wait :p The bigger problem is that I have no idea what to do in Paris :o I have been there this year and I found most things disappointing. Maybe I'd go into the Quartier Latin again or study Centre Pompidou better, but it's all quite expensive :o

CooCooCachoo
11-24-2004, 07:48 PM
BUY a digital camera! and buy a nice big sd card. 256 mb at least ;) 512mb or 1 gig would be good

I hate digital cameras.. Disappointing when printing.

Eruwen
11-24-2004, 07:54 PM

And if Tommy plays, I can wait :p The bigger problem is that I have no idea what to do in Paris :o I have been there this year and I found most things disappointing. Maybe I'd go into the Quartier Latin again or study Centre Pompidou better, but it's all quite expensive :o I have a part time job at the financial department somewhere now, and if all goes well, I can work there 4 days a week (more or less) after my graduation :woohoo:

:scratch: I didn't find Paris too special either actually! I mean, it's a beautiful city and everything, but I expected more I guess... But I'll have fun anyway, it doesn't take too much to make me happy :lol:

*Ljubica*
11-24-2004, 08:05 PM
to the british people: Do you drive, take the eurostar, or bus/ferry to Paris?

I usually take the Eurostar because I'm in London anyway and it's only two and a half hours from central London to the centre of Paris and then a short metro ride to the venue.

*Ljubica*
11-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Oh god.... don't get me started on them! Were you in Madrid this year?

Yes - I was - all week - and those kids drove me to total distraction with their screaming and running about :devil: Mind you - the Italian school parties that come to Monte Carlo are just as bad - if not slightly worse :eek: Were you there?

CooCooCachoo
11-24-2004, 08:10 PM
I usually take the Eurostar because I'm in London anyway and it's only two and a half hours from central London to the centre of Paris and then a short metro ride to the venue.

:o

God. It took me about an hour longer than that to get in Groningen for the Challenger yesterday, and that is in the same frigging country. And that country is one of the smallest countries of Europe :eek:

Eruwen
11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Yes - I was - all week - and those kids drove me to total distraction with their screamning and running about :devil: Mind you - the Italian school parties that come to Monte Carlo are just as bad - if not slightly worse :eek: Were you there? Yes, I was there with Patricia (SuperFurryAnimal). We were so annoyed by those kids... they were so LOUD! And rude! Omg! They would steal the balls from the practice courts, they kept screaming players' names (I loved how they pronounced Agassi though :lol: ).

Eruwen
11-24-2004, 08:17 PM
:o

God. It took me about an hour longer than that to get in Groningen for the Challenger yesterday, and that is in the same frigging country. And that country is one of the smallest countries of Europe :eek: Don't you just love NS :lol: Hé, hoe duur zou een treinkaartje naar Parijs zijn? Ik heb dat wel eens proberen op te zoeken, maar ik kan het nooit vinden... Is mischien wel een stuk goedkoper dan het vliegtuig, en waarschijnlijk net zo snel!

*Ljubica*
11-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Yes, I was there with Patricia (SuperFurryAnimal). We were so annoyed by those kids... they were so LOUD! And rude! Omg! They would steal the balls from the practice courts, they kept screaming players' names (I loved how they pronounced Agassi though :lol: ).

OMG - I can still hear the chants of "Fer-er-o, Fer-er-o.......!" I was usually in the Bar upstairs looking down on them from the Balcony - couldn't stand
their screeching.

maratski
11-24-2004, 08:35 PM
The Thalys to Paris is like 70 euros if you book it in time. Make sure you reserve tennis tickets the minute they are available and go to charity day!!!

I found the players accessible when I was there, but don't count on getting something signed by Dre or Hewit. They've got a million bodyguards.

Sit in one of the beautiful parks and gardens in Paris and read a book, get a suntan or just watch people. That's the beauty of Paris ;)

ae wowww
11-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Rosie, how much did the eurostar cost you?? I am going to take it, hopefully get on it with the child rate.

It's quick and takes about 30mins for me to get to Waterloo 'International'... Easier than a plane by far. And I have a fantastic metro map, so should all be easy :D Need Jim to tell me which hotel he'll be staying in --I honestly don't really care how much the hotel costs now, just so long as it's close!

Choupi
11-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Hey for some of you who might be interested, I just remembered a hotel which is very close to RG. It's the Hotel EXELMANS. It's not very expensive, well I think so for that part of Paris (16th district!). It's 2 metrostations only from RG. It has a very cosy and peaceful garden in the backyard!

joeb_uk
11-24-2004, 11:11 PM
I hate digital cameras.. Disappointing when printing.
you probably have used a really wank camera! get a good one and you are able to print pics at 19". 4 mega pixels is sufficient, because you use put your photos online dont you? so not only is it hassle scanning etc, but the quality is also awful when you scan them through

joeb_uk
11-24-2004, 11:16 PM
if i remember andy it was 70£ or so for the eurostar each (both ways) it varies tho when you are going and what times

joeb_uk
11-24-2004, 11:21 PM
also andy i doubt you will get a childs price, im not certain but most things seem to be changing till like 12 and you are paying for an adult! i was 17 when i went, and i paid adults price. You are 15 right, so unless its 16 or under for a childs price (i wouldnt think this would be likely?)

*Ljubica*
11-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Rosie, how much did the eurostar cost you?? I am going to take it, hopefully get on it with the child rate.

It's quick and takes about 30mins for me to get to Waterloo 'International'... Easier than a plane by far. And I have a fantastic metro map, so should all be easy :D Need Jim to tell me which hotel he'll be staying in --I honestly don't really care how much the hotel costs now, just so long as it's close!

The cheapest Eurostar return is £59.00 for an adult. It's great value, but you have to buy it at least 14 days in advance and it's non-exchangeable/refundable, so you can't decide to stay longer at the last minute! The flexible ticket is £129.00 as far as can remember. As far as the Hotels are concerned - there are loads of official Hotels for players and staff at Roland Garros - some are near the stadium - others are near the Champs Elysees which is a fairly long metro journey away from the venue. So you would have to get Jim to tell you a fairly long time in advance as you would never know which one otherwise and they do get booked up quite quickly.

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 06:01 AM
The Thalys to Paris is like 70 euros if you book it in time. Make sure you reserve tennis tickets the minute they are available and go to charity day!!!

I found the players accessible when I was there, but don't count on getting something signed by Dre or Hewit. They've got a million bodyguards.

Sit in one of the beautiful parks and gardens in Paris and read a book, get a suntan or just watch people. That's the beauty of Paris ;) Thanks for the tips! :hug: 70 euros, is that one way, or roundtrip?

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 06:02 AM
Hey for some of you who might be interested, I just remembered a hotel which is very close to RG. It's the Hotel EXELMANS. It's not very expensive, well I think so for that part of Paris (16th district!). It's 2 metrostations only from RG. It has a very cosy and peaceful garden in the backyard! Oh, thanks a lot for that!! I'll definitely check that out :)

Choupi
11-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Hey check this out!

http://www.hotelclub.net/hotel.reservations/Exelmans_Hotel_Paris.htm

You'll have the info you might be looking for. And it is available in many foreign languages! You can even make the reservation!

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:07 AM

Sit in one of the beautiful parks and gardens in Paris and read a book, get a suntan or just watch people. That's the beauty of Paris ;)

OK Ilhame! Thanks :hug:

I don't want an autograph from Hewitt :lol: :smash:

Charity Day is the Sunday before the tournament starts right?

Hee Eruwen, we moeten gewoon samen gaan :p Met nog meer erbij! :)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the hotel Choupi, but I am afraid that is definitely above my budget.. I don't mind sleeping in a youth hostel or a Formule 1 hotel, which are quite cheap. I just need a place to crash, to shower.

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 09:54 AM
OK Ilhame! Thanks :hug:

I don't want an autograph from Hewitt :lol: :smash:

Hee Eruwen, we moeten gewoon samen gaan :p Met nog meer erbij! :) Als ik het kan betalen, ga ik mee! :yeah: En Patricia ziet het geloof ik ook wel zitten :) Maar ja... ik kan pas in februari ofzo zeggen of ik wel of niet kan gaan. Wanneer gaan de kaarten in de verkoop? Kun je voor RG wel vanuit het buitenland kaarten kopen? Voor Madrid was dat bijna onmogelijk :rolleyes:

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the hotel Choupi, but I am afraid that is definitely above my budget.. I don't mind sleeping in a youth hostel or a Formule 1 hotel, which are quite cheap. I just need a place to crash, to shower. Me too actually, I just need a bed and a shower. It has to be clean though!

I know a good site where you can search for all kinds of hotels, that's where I found the hostel we stayed at in Madrid, and it was very good! I'll check it out this weekend :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Als ik het kan betalen, ga ik mee! :yeah: En Patricia ziet het geloof ik ook wel zitten :) Maar ja... ik kan pas in februari ofzo zeggen of ik wel of niet kan gaan. Wanneer gaan de kaarten in de verkoop? Kun je voor RG wel vanuit het buitenland kaarten kopen? Voor Madrid was dat bijna onmogelijk :rolleyes:

Heel misschien kan ik bij iemand overnachten, maar ik ken diegene eigenlijk helemaal niet, dus of ik dat zo vertrouw :o

De kaarten gaan volgens mij in maart in de verkoop en je kan ze vanuit het buitenland kopen. Logisch ook wel bij zo'n toernooi ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Me too actually, I just need a bed and a shower. It has to be clean though!

I know a good site where you can search for all kinds of hotels, that's where I found the hostel we stayed at in Madrid, and it was very good! I'll check it out this weekend :yeah:

If you give me the link, I can check it too :D

Searching for Thalys info now ;)

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Heel misschien kan ik bij iemand overnachten, maar ik ken diegene eigenlijk helemaal niet, dus of ik dat zo vertrouw :o

De kaarten gaan volgens mij in maart in de verkoop en je kan ze vanuit het buitenland kopen. Logisch ook wel bij zo'n toernooi ;) Ja, dat dacht ik dus bij Madrid ook, maar dat viel even vies tegen :lol:

Ik weet de link niet uit mijn hoofd... en ik zit op mijn werk, dus ik kan ook niet bij mijn favorieten op mijn computer ;) Ik zal het vanavond wel even doorgeven op msn ofzo :yeah:

Oh, ik wil trouwens wel een eigen kamer & badkamer... zo'n gedeelde kamer is niets voor mij. Maar bij die hostels enzo heb je wel vaak een kamer voor 4 mensen (hadden we in Madrid ook, alleen waren we toen maar met z'n tweeen), dus misschien dat dat iets is.

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Eruwen, it is €79,- if you are 'Youth' which was 19-25 I think.. For a return ticket.

http://www.ns.nl/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=url_download&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=Download&blobwhere=1085417975159&cachecontrol=*%3A0%3A0+*%2F*%2F*&ssbinary=true

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Ja, dat dacht ik dus bij Madrid ook, maar dat viel even vies tegen :lol:

Ik weet de link niet uit mijn hoofd... en ik zit op mijn werk, dus ik kan ook niet bij mijn favorieten op mijn computer ;) Ik zal het vanavond wel even doorgeven op msn ofzo :yeah:

Oh, ik wil trouwens wel een eigen kamer & badkamer... zo'n gedeelde kamer is niets voor mij. Maar bij die hostels enzo heb je wel vaak een kamer voor 4 mensen (hadden we in Madrid ook, alleen waren we toen maar met z'n tweeen), dus misschien dat dat iets is.

Tsss.. Zomaar op MTF op je werk ;)

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html <-- Niet zo heel erg duur. Youth hostels zijn wel goedkoper, maar dan eigenlijk alleen als je op de slaapzaal gaat, geloof ik.

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:34 AM
The Formule 1 hotels cost about €25 - €30 per night.

Bibir
11-25-2004, 10:36 AM

yes..it's sunday for 8 euros. :)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:40 AM
http://www.aijparis.com/framea.htm

I think that youth hostel might be really good. €15 per night, and rooms for 2-3-4 people.

"All the rooms for 4 persons have a seperate bathroom and shower"
"For the other rooms, showers and toilets are located on each floor"
"Free maps of Paris"

The disadvantage might be that it is not near RG, but it's in the city centre, so there are lots of metro stations around. And Formule 1 hotels are usually located at highways I think.

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:41 AM
yes..it's sunday for 8 euros. :)

:yeah: :bounce: :D

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
"Metro, buses and a taxi station are available less than 200 meters "
"Four supermarkets less than 400 meters provide you with all kinds of products, starting from the least expensive food products in Paris. " <-- !!

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Eruwen, it is €79,- if you are 'Youth' which was 19-25 I think.. For a return ticket.

http://www.ns.nl/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=url_download&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=Download&blobwhere=1085417975159&cachecontrol=*%3A0%3A0+*%2F*%2F*&ssbinary=true Ah, good, I won't be 25 yet then, so I'm still 'youth' :banana: :lol:

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Tsss.. Zomaar op MTF op je werk ;)

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html <-- Niet zo heel erg duur. Youth hostels zijn wel goedkoper, maar dan eigenlijk alleen als je op de slaapzaal gaat, geloof ik.Tja... de hele dag cijfertjes invoeren heb je na een tijdje ook wel gezien :lol:

Bibir
11-25-2004, 10:57 AM
http://www.aijparis.com/framea.htm

I think that youth hostel might be really good. €15 per night, and rooms for 2-3-4 people.

"All the rooms for 4 persons have a seperate bathroom and shower"
"For the other rooms, showers and toilets are located on each floor"
"Free maps of Paris"

The disadvantage might be that it is not near RG, but it's in the city centre, so there are lots of metro stations around.

yeah...there are lots of metro stations around the hostel...approximatively 30 minutes from RG.

Eruwen
11-25-2004, 10:57 AM
"Metro, buses and a taxi station are available less than 200 meters "
"Four supermarkets less than 400 meters provide you with all kinds of products, starting from the least expensive food products in Paris. " <-- !! :scratch: And that would be for...? :lol: I'm guessing the cheap hotel where you have a seperate bathroom with rooms for 4 ppl?

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 11:29 AM
:scratch: And that would be for...? :lol: I'm guessing the cheap hotel where you have a seperate bathroom with rooms for 4 ppl?

Yes :)

I do need a supermarket near the ho(s)tel, because there is no way I am going to eat at restaurants or buy loads of stuff at RG :p

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 11:29 AM
yeah...there are lots of metro stations around the hostel...approximatively 30 minutes from RG.

30 minutes is not bad :D Thanks bibi :)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Never mind that hostel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d236436-Reviews-Auberge_Internationale_des_Jeunes-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

:rolleyes:

~EMiLiTA~
11-25-2004, 01:15 PM
It’s not as good as other tournies.
************ [20:41]: Full of french kids most of the first week
************ [20:41]: Like bedlam, but worse.
************ [20:41]: They are v. badly behaved
************ [20:42]: and in the second tics are expensive
************ [20:42]: its only worth going if you get tickets beforehand...
************ [20:45]: but make sure you have a guarantee because tout prices are ridiculous
************ [20:45]: like £50 min for a groundpass (that cost about £10) a day
************ [20:45]: there are thousands of hotels
************ [20:46]: you need one that has access to either buses that go Porte d-Auteil or metro to Porte D'Auteuil
************ [20:46]: RG is south west paris just inside the Periphique
************ [20:47]: there are various etap and ibis hotels.
************ [20:47]: around the edge of the periphique quite cheap
************ [20:48]: Ibis hotels on edge or outside Periphique about 55 Euros a day
************ [20:49]: the ibis hotels inside the main Paris centre about 100 Euros a day

in regards to the tickets, I didn't have any problems getting them on the Sunday before...and I went for 3 days...just to outside courts (annexes) and court 1...18 euros

but queuing was VERY BAD. To get into the venue we had to wait about 45 min cos the queue went all down the street...and people were jumping the queue...the organisation was very bad. Also to get onto the outside courts there was often a lot of pushing and shoving...not well organised either.

But it's still a great tourney! :)

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 03:54 PM
http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/0716/fiche_hotel.shtml#info I am staying here Monday - Sat
Just got to book Eurostar now...!

Horatio Caine
11-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Oh CooCoo - great choice of tournament - never been but looks to be one of the best tournaments in the world for players (obviously!) and scenery.

I won't be going next year but hopefully within the next 5 years.

maratski
11-25-2004, 05:31 PM
I've stayed at F1 hotels in Paris several times. There's a big one near Porte St. Ouen. It's just inside the city and there's a subway station 500m away from it. F1 hotels have rooms for 3 people. but toilets and showers are in the hall. They're very clean though! For 3.50 euros you have an all you can eat breakfast and if you're smart you fill a nice bottle of orange juice there to take with you ;) I have never done that, but did see people do it :o

Just check the website of the french tennis federation to order tickets, but make sure you are in time, write clearly and call them when you don't hear from them. I ended up not getting tickets cause they lost my reservation or something, but at least I was in Paris and could queue for 6 hours a week prior to the tournament ;)

The official hotel is the Concorde Lafayette, which probably is the biggest hotel in Paris. Players stay everywhere though during the tournament. When walking on the Champs Elysées you see RG cars driving by all the time. Also keep your eyes open when walking on the Champs Elysées ;) In one evening I saw Jonas with his wife and child, Kratochvil and friends and a group of Argies.

When going to the tennis buy single cards for the subway, but when going sightseeing by yourself a daycard. They offer Paris Visite cards for tourists, but Parisians buy une carte Mobilis. They are the same, but the latter is 3 euros cheaper ;)

Buy water at a supermarket cause you can't find it cheaper elsewhere, Paris ain't cheap ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 05:50 PM
I've stayed at F1 hotels in Paris several times. There's a big one near Porte St. Ouen. It's just inside the city and there's a subway station 500m away from it. F1 hotels have rooms for 3 people. but toilets and showers are in the hall. They're very clean though! For 3.50 euros you have an all you can eat breakfast and if you're smart you fill a nice bottle of orange juice there to take with you ;) I have never done that, but did see people do it :o

Just check the website of the french tennis federation to order tickets, but make sure you are in time, write clearly and call them when you don't hear from them. I ended up not getting tickets cause they lost my reservation or something, but at least I was in Paris and could queue for 6 hours a week prior to the tournament ;)

The official hotel is the Concorde Lafayette, which probably is the biggest hotel in Paris. Players stay everywhere though during the tournament. When walking on the Champs Elysées you see RG cars driving by all the time. Also keep your eyes open when walking on the Champs Elysées ;) In one evening I saw Jonas with his wife and child, Kratochvil and friends and a group of Argies.

When going to the tennis buy single cards for the subway, but when going sightseeing by yourself a daycard. They offer Paris Visite cards for tourists, but Parisians buy une carte Mobilis. They are the same, but the latter is 3 euros cheaper ;)

Buy water at a supermarket cause you can't find it cheaper elsewhere, Paris ain't cheap ;)

Thanks ;) I'll try to find some info on that hotel ! :)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 05:53 PM
That hotel costs €38 per night :eek: I was looking for something cheaper :lol:

maratski
11-25-2004, 06:07 PM
You can share the costs if you find someone to go with ;)

joeb_uk
11-25-2004, 08:14 PM
of course! 38 euros is actually cheap! and of course split for two its peanuts!

Marine
11-25-2004, 08:37 PM

And if Tommy plays, I can wait :p The bigger problem is that I have no idea what to do in Paris :o I have been there this year and I found most things disappointing. Maybe I'd go into the Quartier Latin again or study Centre Pompidou better, but it's all quite expensive :o

nothing to do in Paris... I'm parisian and there are so many places/monuments I never visited and I'd like to do ... :rolleyes:

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 08:59 PM
nothing to do in Paris... I'm parisian and there are so many places/monuments I never visited and I'd like to do ... :rolleyes:

Hehe I know there is loads to do :p But not much that I want to do ;) The standard list of monuments doesn't really interest me. But of course there is a lot to do and I could just go sit and read a book somewhere :)

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Hehe I know there is loads to do :p But not much that I want to do ;) The standard list of monuments doesn't really interest me. But of course there is a lot to do and I could just go sit and read a book somewhere :)
Same.. It's not a cheap trip, I want TENNIS TENNIS TENNIS!

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:02 PM
You can share the costs if you find someone to go with ;)

So what you are saying is that the prices mentioned:

http://www.hotelformule1.com/accorhotels/cartoucheprix/formule1/2539.gif

Actually is the price split in two or three if you are staying with more? Cause I might be going with Eruwen and SFA (it's all very hypothetical actually at this stage). That would indeed make it cheap!

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Same.. It's not a cheap trip, I want TENNIS TENNIS TENNIS!

Yes, but not the annoying children :lol: ;)

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm afraid I think the costs now are €49 (not 38) or something per night, well those are the costs for May 2005. And that is the cheapest (weekends). Week day rooms are like €85 :O I would rather pay more and be nearby and rest assured everything is under control. I can speak German, but only 2 years worth of French, so could get unstuck if I was far away, or had to do anything confusing. I'd rather splash out and enjoy my sleep :D:D:D

joeb_uk
11-25-2004, 09:06 PM
WHEN i went, thats what i had in mind andy - O I would rather pay more and be nearby and rest assured everything is under control

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:07 PM
"Room for single, twin or triple occupancy* - Price per night"

It says the prices are for occupancy, not per person.. That is a nice formula of Formule 1 ! :)

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:07 PM
So what you are saying is that the prices mentioned:

http://www.hotelformule1.com/accorhotels/cartoucheprix/formule1/2539.gif

Actually is the price split in two or three if you are staying with more? Cause I might be going with Eruwen and SFA (it's all very hypothetical actually at this stage). That would indeed make it cheap!

It's the price per room.

If the girls don't mind sleeping in the big bed and you in the other bed (een bed wat verticaal boven het tweepersoonsbed zit), then my friend you're sleeping in Paris for not even 13 euros a night!

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm afraid I think the costs now are €49 (not 38) or something per night, well those are the costs for May 2005. And that is the cheapest (weekends). Week day rooms are like €85 :O I would rather pay more and be nearby and rest assured everything is under control. I can speak German, but only 2 years worth of French, so could get unstuck if I was far away, or had to do anything confusing. I'd rather splash out and enjoy my sleep :D:D:D

German won't get you anywhere there :lol: When I went to Paris last year (well last school year), I found that, when my friends tried to speak French, the French quickly switched to English. I had better luck trying in French, but they still switched eventually ;)

Where doy ou get the information from that they are raising the prices of the hotel mentioned to €49 and €85 ? :confused:

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Personally I don't mind sleeping somewhere cheap, the thing that matters is being there, even if you need to travel 30 minutes to get to the stadium.

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:10 PM
It's the price per room.

If the girls don't mind sleeping in the big bed and you in the other bed (een bed wat verticaal boven het tweepersoonsbed zit), then my friend you're sleeping in Paris for not even 13 euros a night!

That would be klasse :p

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:11 PM
you're sleeping in Paris for not even 13 euros a night!

Yes, it is per room. You are cheaper than that sh*thole youth hostel!!!

I love this thread, RG is like 6 months away but it's already getting me excited about it all. Time to compile a list of everyone going I feel... I'm happy to either in this thread, or start another thread. PM me if you're going and I can write a list and update it etc :D

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Personally I don't mind sleeping somewhere cheap, the thing that matters is being there, even if you need to travel 30 minutes to get to the stadium.

30 minutes is absolutely no problem.

I travelled to Hasselt (3½ hrs), Luxembourg (Don't get me started..) and even Groningen (4 !!! hrs). Rotterdam is also about half an hour and that really is no problem whatsoever. Plus that hotel is quite central in Paris too :)

Ilhame, are the staff friendly and is it clean? :)

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:13 PM
German won't get you anywhere there :lol: When I went to Paris last year (well last school year), I found that, when my friends tried to speak French, the French quickly switched to English. I had better luck trying in French, but they still switched eventually ;)

Where doy ou get the information from that they are raising the prices of the hotel mentioned to €49 and €85 ? :confused:

Yeah French try doing that, but don't want to risk it-- if I were asking for help theyd blank me!

Sorry about the pricing misunderstanding, the website hosts are the same for both F1 and Ibis hotels, I assumed that was from my hotel. My bad :rolleyes: !

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Yes, it is per room. You are cheaper than that sh*thole youth hostel!!!

I love this thread, RG is like 6 months away but it's already getting me excited about it all. Time to compile a list of everyone going I feel... I'm happy to either in this thread, or start another thread. PM me if you're going and I can write a list and update it etc :D

I hope to be going. Eruwen too. SuperFurryAnimal too.

:D

You can do it in this thread I guess :) Let this be the big RG anticipation thread :D I am looking forward to it too ! :)

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:20 PM
30 minutes is absolutely no problem.

I travelled to Hasselt (3½ hrs), Luxembourg (Don't get me started..) and even Groningen (4 !!! hrs). Rotterdam is also about half an hour and that really is no problem whatsoever. Plus that hotel is quite central in Paris too :)

Ilhame, are the staff friendly and is it clean? :)

It took me 3 hours to get to Rosmalen, but called my parents to come and pick me up at the end of the day :p

I noticed a lot of African people staying in the hotel and hanging around there, but they just mind their own business. There's security and always someone at the reception although you hardly need those people. You enter a room with your code.

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:21 PM
I want to go to TMS MC or RG if my parents don't change their mind and will say no in the end. I will keep bugging them though ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah French try doing that, but don't want to risk it-- if I were asking for help theyd blank me!

Sorry about the pricing misunderstanding, the website hosts are the same for both F1 and Ibis hotels, I assumed that was from my hotel. My bad :rolleyes: !

Ibis Hotels are not too good, I think :o

It might be a nice idea to hook up with a bunch of MTF posters. So if you feel uncomfortable being alone there in the big evil French-speaking world :lol: you could come with us, if we go. My French will be a bit rusty, but I pretty much aced it last year. But, it has to be said, my reading and writing skills are better than my speaking and listening skills :lol:

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:23 PM
It might be a nice idea to hook up with a bunch of MTF posters. So if you feel uncomfortable being alone there in the big evil French-speaking world :lol: you could come with us, if we go. My French will be a bit rusty, but I pretty much aced it last year. But, it has to be said, my reading and writing skills are better than my speaking and listening skills :lol:

That sounds a lot of fun :D And regarding the anticipation thread: go for it!!!! :D:D:D:D

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:23 PM
It took me 3 hours to get to Rosmalen, but called my parents to come and pick me up at the end of the day :p

I noticed a lot of African people staying in the hotel and hanging around there, but they just mind their own business. There's security and always someone at the reception although you hardly need those people. You enter a room with your code.

I forgot to mention Rosmalen :o You travel from Rotterdam, right? Well, add another 25 minutes to that for me :) And I went there like five days in a row too, so you can imagine how exhausted I was :lol:

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:24 PM
And.... let's see how many pages we can get this brute up to :D

Au revoir ;)!

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:25 PM
That sounds a lot of fun :D And regarding the anticipation thread: go for it!!!! :D:D:D:D

I was planning on going to Wimbley first, because I :kiss: loved :kiss: it last year. But everyone has been praising RG so much and I do want to go there one year. So why not next year? I mean usually I will study during RG and not Wimbledon and since I quit my studies this year, I will have time too :)

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:26 PM
The long tennis journeys I have done:- Bolton (5.5 hrs each way) went 4 days in total, but only 4 journeys (hotel for 2 nights).
And Nottingham 3 hrs (travel up then down 2 days consec)
Manchester 3.5hrs. hotel 1 night, still plenty o'travelling.

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Has anyone else made any bookings yet?

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:27 PM
And.... let's see how many pages we can get this brute up to :D

Au revoir ;)!

:lol:

I want to thank Rosie, FrogBurger & Maratski for their tips and advice. It's best to get the information from the experienced RG visitors :)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:28 PM
The long tennis journeys I have done:- Bolton (5.5 hrs each way) went 4 days in total, but only 4 journeys (hotel for 2 nights).
And Nottingham 3 hrs (travel up then down 2 days consec)
Manchester 3.5hrs. hotel 1 night, still plenty o'travelling.

:lol: I had to wake up at 6 o'clock this Tuesday to get to Groningen :o And had to leave early, cause otherwise I'd have missed the last train :mad:

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I assume my French will still be good when RG comes around so if I'm there I'll gladly be your translator :)

Martijn you never told me where you live exactly, I'm just outside Rotterdam as well ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Has anyone else made any bookings yet?

:lol: That will come later ;) But it does look like I can keep the costs of the ho(s)tel below the €150, the train will be €85 (rough calculations) and tickets will be €140. That is not too bad :) Now I need to save a lot of money :lol:

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:30 PM
I assume my French will still be good when RG comes around so if I'm there I'll gladly be your translator :)

Martijn you never told me where you live exactly, I'm just outside Rotterdam as well ;)

Maassluis :) You?

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:31 PM

I want to thank Rosie, FrogBurger & Maratski for their tips and advice. It's best to get the information from the experienced RG visitors :)

I've only been there in 2003, but am glad I can be of help. Rosie knows more about RG, I'm just a Paris expert ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:31 PM
I want to go to TMS MC or RG if my parents don't change their mind and will say no in the end. I will keep bugging them though ;)

:yeah:

Why would they say no though? :(
I personally don't care about Monte Carlo one bit :yawn:

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Maassluis :) You?

Ik de andere kant op. H.I.Ambacht

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:32 PM
I've only been there in 2003, but am glad I can be of help. Rosie knows more about RG, I'm just a Paris expert ;)

You still gave very useful advice :hug: :D How many days did you go ?

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:33 PM
:yeah:

Why would they say no though? :(
I personally don't care about Monte Carlo one bit :yawn:

The scenery looks so nice and I've got an aunt in Nice that I can "visit" ;)

You know my background Martijn so it's difficult for me to be able to travel the world all by myself.

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:33 PM
:lol: I had to wake up at 6 o'clock this Tuesday to get to Groningen :o And had to leave early, cause otherwise I'd have missed the last train :mad:

I wake up at 6.20am every day for school!

For Bolton (train) and Wimbledon (queue) I had to get up at 4am this year.

Agreement on the advice from experience Garrosers.

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:34 PM
If you're not just vaguely going for the tennis, and instead a specific player or number of players, which players are you going to RG for, everyone?

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Ik de andere kant op. H.I.Ambacht

Ah ;) Ja da's idd de andere kant op :o

Zou wel heel toevallig zijn geweest als je ook uit Msluis zou komen :p

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:35 PM
You still gave very useful advice :hug: :D How many days did you go ?

I went on charity day and middle sunday. I wanted to go the first two days, but by the time I wanted to buy tickets pretty much everything was already sold out. ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:36 PM
The scenery looks so nice and I've got an aunt in Nice that I can "visit" ;)

You know my background Martijn so it's difficult for me to be able to travel the world all by myself.

:lol: Sweet aunt you have :p

Ah, yeah I guess the background doesn't come in handy there.. :( Maybe you'd be allowed to travel with a group of people? Then you can join SFA, Eruwen and me :lol:

maratski
If you're not just vaguely going for the tennis, and instead a specific player or number of players, which players are you going to RG for, everyone?

Marat, of course ;)

My list of faves is long and seeing just a few of them already makes a tournament good for me.

CooCooCachoo
I wake up at 6.20am every day for school!

For Bolton (train) and Wimbledon (queue) I had to get up at 4am this year.

Agreement on the advice from experience Garrosers.

:lol: For Wimbledon I had to get up at 04:00 too :yawn: But it was worth it :D Definitely!

ae wowww

No Dutch please!! ;) Can you Dutch-speakers understand much Afrikaan, or Flemish?

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:37 PM

Ik ken wel mensen bij je in de buurt hoor ;)

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Then you can join SFA, Eruwen and me :lol:
and me !!! :D

maratski
11-25-2004, 09:38 PM
:lol: Sweet aunt you have :p

Ah, yeah I guess the background doesn't come in handy there.. :( Maybe you'd be allowed to travel with a group of people? Then you can join SFA, Eruwen and me :lol:

that requires me explaining my cyberlife to them, bad idea ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:39 PM

:lol: I can't answer that.. I'd love to watch all my favourites :) Especially:

Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
Tommy Robredo
Karol Kucera
Paola Suarez
Virginia Ruano Pascual
Katarina Srebotnik
Carly Gullickson (no chance here.. well maybe maybe maybe qualies)
Doubles matches!!!

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Carly Gullickson (no chance here.. well maybe maybe maybe qualies)

What a dream she is :inlove:

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Ik ken wel mensen bij je in de buurt hoor ;)

Ik niemand bij jou in de buurt :o

CooCooCachoo
and me !!! :D

And him! :)

CooCooCachoo
that requires me explaining my cyberlife to them, bad idea ;)

:haha: :tape:

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:43 PM
What a dream she is :inlove:

You should talk to her :p

That Tennessee / American accent :D :hearts:

She is really nice too ;) Though she cackles a bit when she laughs :p

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:44 PM
I went on charity day and middle sunday. I wanted to go the first two days, but by the time I wanted to buy tickets pretty much everything was already sold out. ;)

Ah.. OK :)

How many days are you opting to go next year?

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:44 PM
No-one answered my Dutch question!!

After this, I demand we go back to RG topic!!!

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:46 PM
You should talk to her :p

That Tennessee / American accent :D :hearts:

She is really nice too ;) Though she cackles a bit when she laughs :p
I have done, at Surbiton :D --she borrowed my phone, to call home..

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:47 PM
No-one answered my Dutch question!!

After this, I demand we go back to RG topic!!!

I didn't see it :confused:

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:48 PM
No Dutch please!! ;) Can you Dutch-speakers understand much Afrikaan, or Flemish?

Afrikaans, no.
Flemish, yes :)

ae wowww
11-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Ok cool :D...

Any more French Open ;)?

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:49 PM
I have done, at Surbiton :D --she borrowed my phone, to call home..

Cool :D She is great huh :)

I saw her in Luxembourg :hearts: Trailing 6-0 1-0 to Mary Pierce, but she fought back 6-0 7-5 :worship: And the crowd was calling her Charly, and they spelt her name 'Gullicksson' on the scoreboard :mad:

CooCooCachoo
11-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Ok cool :D...

Any more French Open ;)?

Yes!

I wanted to ask if someone knows whether it is possible to buy tickets for showcourts left by other visitors that day at a discount. I know this is common at Wimbledon, but I am not sure about RG :o

Action Jackson
11-26-2004, 03:24 AM
Definitely buy your food before you go there, or have plenty of money.

If you don't like the bottled water option, buy a Powerade or Gatorade as they are wider at the top so it's easier to refill with water during the day.

As for accommodation I was lucky and had the option of staying with friends, but there are a few hostels in Paris which won't set you back too much money.

To get to RG you will need to take Line 10 to Boulogne Pont de St.Cloud and you will get off at Porte d'Auteuil which is the 3rd last stop which is in the southwest of Paris.

Here is a map of the Paris Metro attached.

maratski
11-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Ah.. OK :)

How many days are you opting to go next year?

If I can go then I'd like to go to charity day and the first two days.

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Definitely buy your food before you go there, or have plenty of money.

If you don't like the bottled water option, buy a Powerade or Gatorade as they are wider at the top so it's easier to refill with water during the day.

As for accommodation I was lucky and had the option of staying with friends, but there are a few hostels in Paris which won't set you back too much money.

To get to RG you will need to take Line 10 to Boulogne Pont de St.Cloud and you will get off at Porte d'Auteuil which is the 3rd last stop which is in the southwest of Paris.

Here is a map of the Paris Metro attached.

Merci ;) I don't mind taking bottled water with me :lol: :)

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 09:59 AM
If I can go then I'd like to go to charity day and the first two days.

OK! Is Charity Day so great because you see all the players practising? Or is there a different reason to it too?

I want to go to a few days of qualifying at the end of the week, Charity Day and a few days of the first week. I am thinking about 7-9 days or something.

*Ljubica*
11-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes!

I wanted to ask if someone knows whether it is possible to buy tickets for showcourts left by other visitors that day at a discount. I know this is common at Wimbledon, but I am not sure about RG :o

Yes - they did that for the first time this year. There's a little Box Office kiosk under the Suzanne Lenglen Court, and they sell them there after 5.00pm. Also, on Chairty Day it's sometimes possible to go to this kiosk and buy Showcourt tickets for the next couple of days that have been returned from some of the Tennis Clubs and Federations. As for Charity Day - it isn't just the players' practisiing that you can see there, but various exhibition matches that some players take part in so that they can practice but in a slightly more competitive environment than being on the practice courts.

maratski
11-26-2004, 03:24 PM
The nice thing about charity day is that you can go EVERYWHERE. It was nice sitting in the box seats 2 feet away from the players on Philippe Chatrier. :)

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 03:28 PM
The nice thing about charity day is that you can go EVERYWHERE. It was nice sitting in the box seats 2 feet away from the players on Philippe Chatrier. :)

:cool:

Thanks Rosie for the kiosk info :) Should Tommy play on S.L. or P.C. I could still buy my ticket there :)

ae wowww
11-26-2004, 04:32 PM
I love all these RG Old boys/girls! Thanks so much for all the info... Fortunately I already knew the metro info though, my mum had an old map of Paris but its still the same ;)
I don't mind the bottled water either, but don't think I'll be in France for the Charity day, but a week of main draw is good enough for me.

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 05:18 PM
I am actually really looking forward to the Charity Day ;)

*Ljubica*
11-26-2004, 05:48 PM
:cool:

Thanks Rosie for the kiosk info :) Should Tommy play on S.L. or P.C. I could still buy my ticket there :)

You could, providing they still had some available - it's just "pot luck" really. One word of warning about RG - they never EVER have the order of play there for the following day - not even at the very end of the previous day :devil: Whereas most other tournaments will announce the next days' order or have leaflets available at the Information kiosks when you leave -they have neither :devil: So unless you know someone there with access to the Press/Players' Room, can chat up a kindly security guard (probably not your style Martijn!!!), or you have Internet access in your Hotel/Hostel you never know who is playing or at what time until you turn up the next day :devil: I remember one day last year, there wasn't even an OOP available for the players due to some kind of computer problems there :p , and I ended up phoning a friend of mine in England so they could look it up on the Internet here and let me know so I could tell them :p

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
:lol: How did you guess that is not my style :lol:

I will have to check an Internet Café then :haha: Or I will ask you, if you are going ;) :p

ae wowww
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
One word of warning about RG - they never EVER have the order of play there for the following day - not even at the very end of the previous day :devil: Whereas most other tournaments will announce the next days' order or have leaflets available at the Information kiosks when you leave -they have neither :devil: So unless you know someone there with access to the Press/Players' Room, can chat up a kindly security guard (probably not your style Martijn!!!), or you have Internet access in your Hotel/Hostel you never know who is playing or at what time until you turn up the next day :devil: I remember one day last year, there wasn't even an OOP available for the players due to some kind of computer problems there :p , and I ended up phoning a friend of mine in England so they could look it up on the Internet here and let me know so I could tell them :p

That is awful!!! A Grand Slam should have everything down to a fine point. I would've thought getting it out ASAP to L'Equipe and local press would get them publicity and exposure etc. That way, it's more likely people will turn up if they see their favs are scheduled to play. Challenger Press offices work their socks off for 9 days to get the OOPs and all information out as EARLY as possible, seems the French are too laid back for that ;).
I will be able to find out via Jim, but would be much easier to be able to go and pick one up! And for fans, it is stupid.. Thanks for the tip though Rosie.

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Ilhame, I have a question regarding that hotel.

Do the rooms have a bathroom? If not, are the bathing facilities clean and discrete?

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Rosie, do they post the OOP in a newspaper? I remember not having the OOP for Wimbledon either last year, but I bought a newspaper and it had it.

Rogiman
11-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Here's an important tip for the Duckfans:

Make sure you make it to RG on day 1, who knows what will happen afterwards... :lol:

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2004, 06:02 PM
:ras: :p

Eruwen
11-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Whoa... I'm gone for one day (stupid internet connection wen down http://members.home.nl/gvanbienen/pissed.gif ), and you guys post another 6 pages here! :eek:

Anyway... I definitely want to go! But can't really say anything for sure until february I think... It would be great though to meet other people from mtf! (besides the ppl I'm going with that is ;) )

Oh, and to answer someone's question... Yes, I can understand Flemish (it's basically Dutch, but with a couple different words and another accent), and Afrikaans too, a little bit. Afrikaans is funny, they have the most funny words :lol:

roisin
11-26-2004, 06:29 PM
wow how did i miss this thread?!

i'd love to go to RG and hopefully i'll get to go next year. it all depends on when my sisters final college exams are on cos she has a feeling that they'll be on during the first week of RG which is when we want to go! i wanted to go this year because i was in paris during RG on a school trip but i didn't end up getting tickets (all my teacher's fault the dumbass) so i'm really up 4 it this year!

i think finding a decent hotel is the hardest thing. i'd love to stay in the players hotel (for no reason at all *whistles* ;) ) but i think it'd be better to stay in a hotle near RG itself. any suggestions?

does anybody know which airport is better to fly into?

if i went i'd go for the first 3 days and get that ticket for chartier court. but also i'd love to meet some players (most notably ferrero & marat ;) ) does anybody have any tips on where is best/easiest places to meet the players?

ae wowww
11-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Roisin, Paris Orly is better to fly to; as oppose to Charles DeGaulle

ae wowww
11-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh, and to answer someone's question... Yes, I can understand Flemish (it's basically Dutch, but with a couple different words and another accent), and Afrikaans too, a little bit. Afrikaans is funny, they have the most funny words :lol:

Jeff Coetzee told me his 1st language is Afrikaans, however he can understand Dutch. He spoke some Afrikaans to me and it is funny :lol:!

roisin
11-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Roisin, Paris Orly is better to fly to; as oppose to Charles DeGaulle

thanks! i take it that its closer to RG than CDG then!

Rogiman
11-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Jeff Coetzee told me his 1st language is Afrikaans, however he can understand Dutch. He spoke some Afrikaans to me and it is funny :lol:!

You're not talking about the writer of "Disgrace" do you...? :eek:

ae wowww
11-26-2004, 07:04 PM

I don't know about that, but he is a former SF(maybe F?) of Australian Open doubles with Chris Haggard...

Is there another Jeff Coetzee then?!

Rogiman
11-26-2004, 07:08 PM
I don't know about that, but he is a former SF(maybe F?) of Australian Open doubles with Chris Haggard...

Is there another Jeff Coetzee then?!

Forget about it :mad:

It looks like every second South-African's second name is Coetzee...

ae wowww
11-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Too bad Rogiman! Back to RG though, for now ;)?

*Ljubica*
11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Rosie, do they post the OOP in a newspaper? I remember not having the OOP for Wimbledon either last year, but I bought a newspaper and it had it.

As far as I can remember, the local papers give the OOP for the 3 main courts but not the outside ones, (which isn't much help if you turn up late and find your fave was playing first on Court 7 or something!), whereas the British Press usually prints the schedule for every court during Wimbledon. Of course if you're anywhere near a Players' Hotel they will have printed sheets of the full OOP on the ATP stands in the Foyer, but they don't usually get those til after midnight so unless you're staying there, you would still have to pick one up in the morning.

maratski
11-26-2004, 08:38 PM
Ilhame, I have a question regarding that hotel.

Do the rooms have a bathroom? If not, are the bathing facilities clean and discrete?

Showers and toilets are in the hall, but very clean. There's like 6 toilets and 3 showers on each side of the hall.

maratski
11-26-2004, 08:44 PM

i'd love to go to RG and hopefully i'll get to go next year. it all depends on when my sisters final college exams are on cos she has a feeling that they'll be on during the first week of RG which is when we want to go! i wanted to go this year because i was in paris during RG on a school trip but i didn't end up getting tickets (all my teacher's fault the dumbass) so i'm really up 4 it this year!

i think finding a decent hotel is the hardest thing. i'd love to stay in the players hotel (for no reason at all *whistles* ;) ) but i think it'd be better to stay in a hotle near RG itself. any suggestions?

does anybody know which airport is better to fly into?

if i went i'd go for the first 3 days and get that ticket for chartier court. but also i'd love to meet some players (most notably ferrero & marat ;) ) does anybody have any tips on where is best/easiest places to meet the players?

You can take a train or bus into the city from the airport. I don't think it matters which airport to fly into.

Coo
cybercafes in France are like 4 or 5 euros per hour so you might check l'équipe or something for the OOP.

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 05:39 AM

How long was your school trip? When I was in Paris with my school (final year of high school for me) we took a boat tour on the Seine :yawn: and there were a lot of :smash: annoying little Irish children :smash: there. I hope you weren't one of them :lol:

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 05:39 AM

:lol: It is even funnier when you are Dutch :p They have silly names for some words ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 05:40 AM

:lol: That one is much older ;)

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 05:41 AM
As far as I can remember, the local papers give the OOP for the 3 main courts but not the outside ones, (which isn't much help if you turn up late and find your fave was playing first on Court 7 or something!), whereas the British Press usually prints the schedule for every court during Wimbledon. Of course if you're anywhere near a Players' Hotel they will have printed sheets of the full OOP on the ATP stands in the Foyer, but they don't usually get those til after midnight so unless you're staying there, you would still have to pick one up in the morning.

OK Thanks :( :hug:

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 05:42 AM
Showers and toilets are in the hall, but very clean. There's like 6 toilets and 3 showers on each side of the hall.

Not those large public showers, I hope? I hope they have cabins? :o Otherwise gym and swimming lessons come back to mind :rolleyes: I hate these public changeovers; just don't feel comfortable.

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 05:43 AM
Does it have the full OOP Ilhame?

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Not those large public showers, I hope? I hope they have cabins? :o Otherwise gym and swimming lessons come back to mind :rolleyes: I hate these public changeovers; just don't feel comfortable.
No they are def not communal showers, they are fairly small cubicles but there are plenty of them.

roisin
11-27-2004, 09:30 AM
How long was your school trip? When I was in Paris with my school (final year of high school for me) we took a boat tour on the Seine :yawn: and there were a lot of :smash: annoying little Irish children :smash: there. I hope you weren't one of them :lol:

haha well we're not little! we were on it @ night and the eiffel tower was all flashing wee lights and all. t'was deadly! i was there for 4 days, & we went on the last day of may this year. it was a great trip apart from the lack of tennis (although bumping into igor at the eiffle tower made up 4 it slightly) and the fact that our hotel was a slum. no joke. :p

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 10:20 AM
No they are def not communal showers, they are fairly small cubicles but there are plenty of them.

How did you find out? :confused:

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 10:21 AM
haha well we're not little! we were on it @ night and the eiffel tower was all flashing wee lights and all. t'was deadly! i was there for 4 days, & we went on the last day of may this year. it was a great trip apart from the lack of tennis (although bumping into igor at the eiffle tower made up 4 it slightly) and the fact that our hotel was a slum. no joke. :p

:lol: Good! They were so annoying :smash: And they pretended to be British. Like I can't hear the difference :rolleyes: Oh and they pretended to be 16 too :tape:

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 10:26 AM
How did you find out? :confused:

I've stayed in other hotels owned by this chain before, so I certainly expect they will be the same in that respect.

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Oh good :yeah: And are there diff showers for men and women? And is there enough room to keep your clothes dry and such?

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah, If I remember correctly you pull accross a door when you're in the shower, and theres a small bench next to where you change, you can leave clothes there. In regard to male and female sex showers, I believe they are layed out just like rooms, and because theyre cubicles in the hall, you can go in any, then your room might even be like a few doors away, so really convenient. I think opposite the showers in the hall are sinks and toilets, so it's really quite handy.

Eruwen
11-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah, If I remember correctly you pull accross a door when you're in the shower, and theres a small bench next to where you change, you can leave clothes there. In regard to male and female sex showers, I believe they are layed out just like rooms, and because theyre cubicles in the hall, you can go in any, then your room might even be like a few doors away, so really convenient. I think opposite the showers in the hall are sinks and toilets, so it's really quite handy. So it's more like showers on a campsite? I don't mind those... but I'm not a fan of those communal showers where everyone can see you :lol:

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 04:09 PM
LOL no, they are enclosed, but like a room, not open top... if that makes sense? Like a little pod I guess :D
Why don't you like them what are you ashamed of ;)
No, I agree :D

Eruwen
11-27-2004, 04:12 PM
LOL no, they are enclosed, but like a room, not open top... if that makes sense? Like a little pod I guess :D
Why don't you like them what are you ashamed of ;)
No, I agree :D I'm not ashamed of anything, it's just that I'd like some things to stay private ;) That's only for me and one other person to see :lol:

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 04:14 PM
:haha: you're in luck then, with this chain of hotels :D

joeb_uk
11-27-2004, 04:19 PM
So it's more like showers on a campsite? I don't mind those... but I'm not a fan of those communal showers where everyone can see you :lol:
you get what you pay for!

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 04:25 PM
joeb wheres all your money? mines pinned to Roger's butt :haha:

joeb_uk
11-27-2004, 04:26 PM
have some here at home :P and plenty in the bank

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 04:49 PM
:haha: you're in luck then, with this chain of hotels :D

:yeah: :)

joeb_uk
11-27-2004, 04:52 PM
be careful to book early! they do get very busy

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 04:54 PM
you get what you pay for!

Let niet op hem Gaby. Hij heeft het nogal hoog in z'n bol. Hij is te lui om te werken, maar krijgt alles van zn pappie en mammie en denkt dat het bij iedereen zo is. Eén van zijn 'tips' is om een digitaal fototoestel te kopen met allerhande accessoires (zie een eerdere post van hem hiero). Alsof iedereen da kan betalen :rolleyes: Hij denkt van wel. Volgens mij vindt hij ook dat we in een Kurhaus-achtig iets moeten overnachten of zo.

Oh ja en hij is fan van spelers die die nog nooit heeft gezien en weet niets van tennis maar denkt dat ie alles weet. Soms is ie best aardig, maar hij heeft last van grootheidswaanzin en een ontzettende dosis arrogantie.

Mijn hart is ook weer gelucht :o

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 04:55 PM
be careful to book early! they do get very busy

:rolleyes: Is it really necessary to post 'tips' that have been posted at least twice before? :rolleyes:

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 05:46 PM
:rolleyes: Is it really necessary to post 'tips' that have been posted at least twice before? :rolleyes:
True CooCachoo, but you should book early you know. :D:D

joeb_uk
11-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I tryed booking from that chain of hotels (but i couldnt find one close) because i left it late, they were all very far away. So i used one of the tools on travel websites to help me see how far away they were from RG

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 06:44 PM
True CooCachoo, but you should book early you know. :D:D

Now, I wonder if I should book early?

joeb_uk
11-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Let niet op hem Gaby. Hij heeft het nogal hoog in z'n bol. Hij is te lui om te werken, maar krijgt alles van zn pappie en mammie en denkt dat het bij iedereen zo is. Eén van zijn 'tips' is om een digitaal fototoestel te kopen met allerhande accessoires (zie een eerdere post van hem hiero). Alsof iedereen da kan betalen :rolleyes: Hij denkt van wel. Volgens mij vindt hij ook dat we in een Kurhaus-achtig iets moeten overnachten of zo.

Oh ja en hij is fan van spelers die die nog nooit heeft gezien en weet niets van tennis maar denkt dat ie alles weet. Soms is ie best aardig, maar hij heeft last van grootheidswaanzin en een ontzettende dosis arrogantie.

Mijn hart is ook weer gelucht :o

Just trying to say how for the low prices, dont expect the top quality showers etc.

Space Cowgirl
11-27-2004, 07:10 PM
I was in Paris in October for the weekend for a football match (Ireland 0-0 France :D ), but don't really have any tips for you. :lol:
Definitely get your drinking water for RG in a supermarket, it's extremely cheap (about €0.25 for a half-litre bottle). Also check out the Paris public transport website. I can't remember its address but you'll find it easily in Google. It has a route planner if you're not sure how to get from your hotel to RG, along with maps. If you only plan to use the Metro to commute between the hotel and RG, you could buy a ten-pack of tickets, it's €9 I think. Each ticket is valid for one journey. A lot of the time several people travel (illegally) on the one ticket by all squashing though the barrier at one time, so that's another possible money saver (though of course I wouldn't endorse it or anything ;) ).

Roisin, if you are flying to Paris from Dublin, I think you can only fly to Charles de Gaulle. Orly is for domestic flights only, as far as I know. But CDG is well-linked to the city.

Eruwen
11-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Just trying to say how for the low prices, dont expect the top quality showers etc. I'm not asking for top quality showers... just a private one ;)

Eruwen
11-27-2004, 08:19 PM

Mijn hart is ook weer gelucht :o http://members.home.nl/gvanbienen/lmao.gif

Vervelend he, dat soort mensen? :p

maratski
11-27-2004, 08:24 PM
I see someone has beaten me to answering the question ;)

F1 hotels are the same everywhere. I've stayed in a few near Bordeaux a couple of times and they were the same as the one I stayed in when I was in Paris.

When I was in Paris for an internship I lived in a hotel for a few months and the owner let me use his computer sometimes. That's how I got the OOP. ;)

Space Cowgirl I was in Paris too when that match was being played. I was shopping, but the atmosphere in the city was great. There were really tons of Irish fans. :)

Eruwen
11-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Definitely get your drinking water for RG in a supermarket, it's extremely cheap (about €0.25 for a half-litre bottle). Yeah, that's what I did in Madrid this year too. Do they check bags at the entrance though? Cause I read on the TMS Miami site that they check bags there, you're not allowed to take in food or drinks there... :rolleyes:

maratski
11-27-2004, 08:25 PM
they do a 'minicheck', but nobody said something to me when I brought my own water with me.

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Merci Ilhame :hug: Helpful as always :)

BTW Hoe is dat project ding van jou nou afgelopen? Met de fietsen in Groot-Brittannië of zo? Weet niet precies hoe het zat ;)

maratski
11-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Mn scriptie bedoel je? ;)

Ik ben ermee geslaagd voor de HES en de Fenedex (federatie nederlandse export). :) Ik heb mijn scriptie opgestuurd naar de exportmanager van Batavus en hij zal het gebruiken bij het exporteren naar GB, wat Batavus wel degelijk gaat doen.

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 08:47 PM
:woohoo: Goed zo :yeah: :D

maratski
11-27-2004, 08:52 PM
:kiss:

*Ljubica*
11-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I did in Madrid this year too. Do they check bags at the entrance though? Cause I read on the TMS Miami site that they check bags there, you're not allowed to take in food or drinks there... :rolleyes:

They do check bags at Roland Garros - yes - but I've never had problems taking water in - nor at Wimbledon either despite their stringent security checks. They're more interested in something that could be used as a weapon - not in a plastic bottle of water! Guess it depends on who the security guard is though - some are very pedantic and others couldn't care less as far as I can tell! At least they DO make some effort though - unlike Madrid where they don't even bother to check tickets or passes at all half the time! I had passes there this year, and one day I turned up with the previous day's pass in my handbag by mistake with the wrong date on it - I didn't actually realise what I'd done until the evening and none of the guards or ticket collectors had noticed it all day either!!!

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 09:03 PM
:lol: Rosie

At Wimbledon they did check, but they didn't mind the drinks that I had. They just turned all the contents upside down :crazy:

loeliepoelie
11-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, I'm also thinking about going to RG!!!

Martijn, you said 140 euros for tickets, so that means you're just getting tickets for the outside courts? That's also what I will do if I go, I'm not that rich... But if I go, it would be great to see you guys there!!! I'm also going to go to the cheapest ho(s)tel possible and I want cheap tickets!!! The only problem is I have to go to school those weeks, and I won't know my time-table untill march... So there is a big chance I'll only go fri, sat and sun... So I'll see some qualies and charity day.

BTW Martijn, ben je met je opleiding gekapt? Ik dacht dat je het zo naar je zin had in Rotterdam???

Eruwen
11-27-2004, 09:13 PM

Martijn, you said 140 euros for tickets, so that means you're just getting tickets for the outside courts? That's also what I will do if I go, I'm not that rich... But if I go, it would be great to see you guys there!!! I'm also going to go to the cheapest ho(s)tel possible and I want cheap tickets!!! The only problem is I have to go to school those weeks, and I won't know my time-table untill march... So there is a big chance I'll only go fri, sat and sun... So I'll see some qualies and charity day.

BTW Martijn, ben je met je opleiding gekapt? Ik dacht dat je het zo naar je zin had in Rotterdam??? Cool! :yeah: Oh, and someone to watch Rafa with then! :bounce: :lol:

*Ljubica*
11-27-2004, 09:13 PM
:lol: Rosie

At Wimbledon they did check, but they didn't mind the drinks that I had. They just turned all the contents upside down :crazy:

How come that doesn't surprise me!

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 09:19 PM

Louise, would be great if you went to Roland Garros, too!! But surely you do want the cheapest sh*t? It'll be too far out, and crap quality...! I still recommend the Accor hotel Suresnes :P

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Yeah the security checks at Wimbledon were thorough, but only for weaponry ;) They do two checks if you go in the player entrance.

Queens was brief, but those are the only checks I've had to 'endure'...

joeb_uk
11-27-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm not asking for top quality showers... just a private one ;)
hehe! i hope you can get those! and free of those peeping toms!

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 09:32 PM

BTW Martijn, ben je met je opleiding gekapt? Ik dacht dat je het zo naar je zin had in Rotterdam???

Yeah just showcourt tickets. It would be great if you'd also go to RG :) Are you planning on going with someone or looking for someone to go with? I hope you will be able to go! :) Even those qualies would be nice ;)

Yep ben gekapt. Had het er niet naar mn zin qua opleiding. Veel aardige mensen enzo (ook veel balletjes btw) ;) Dus ik doe het dit jaar weer ff rustig aan. Kan ik me ook opladen voor volgend jaar ;)

*Ljubica*
11-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah the security checks at Wimbledon were thorough, but only for weaponry ;) They do two checks if you go in the player entrance.

Queens was brief, but those are the only checks I've had to 'endure'...

LOL - you better be careful what you say Andy or you'll be accused of being a "groupie" as I just have just been on another thread because I mentioned I had spoken to Tommy Haas a few times. Going through the Players' Entrance would definately make you a prime suspect to some of the narrow minded people here :devil:

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Rosie, you're such a groupie :p I bet you sleep with David to get tickets :rolleyes: :tape: :devil:

j/k of course :hug:

*Ljubica*
11-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Rosie, you're such a groupie :p I bet you sleep with David to get tickets :rolleyes: :tape: :devil:

j/k of course :hug:

Of course I do......and all the rest of the ATP Tour as well :devil: And yes, I know its a joke from you Martijn - I just object wheh it comes from other people. It's so f***** sexist - no one accuses Andy for example of being a groupie because he gets accreditation or whatever - so why do they immediately assume a woman is. :devil: :devil: OK - rant over!!

loeliepoelie
11-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Louise, would be great if you went to Roland Garros, too!! But surely you do want the cheapest sh*t? It'll be too far out, and crap quality...! I still recommend the Accor hotel Suresnes :P

I'm not that rich you know!!! I was thinking about going to a campsite or just setting up a tent at the entrance of RG!!! ;)

loeliepoelie
11-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah just showcourt tickets. It would be great if you'd also go to RG :) Are you planning on going with someone or looking for someone to go with? I hope you will be able to go! :) Even those qualies would be nice ;)

Yep ben gekapt. Had het er niet naar mn zin qua opleiding. Veel aardige mensen enzo (ook veel balletjes btw) ;) Dus ik doe het dit jaar weer ff rustig aan. Kan ik me ook opladen voor volgend jaar ;)

If we can afford it, I'll go with my mum, she loves tennis and works full time, so I barely see her. It would be nice to go there with her. But even if I'm with her it would be ace to meet up with you guys there! But as I said, I'll be getting cheap tickets, or I'll hook up with a player and he'll give me a pass! ;)

j/k of course!!! don't call me a tennis slut now!!! :rolleyes:

Balen van je opleiding trouwens!!! Maar nu kan je lekker werken en naar veel toernooien gaan, hoef je je nooit zorgen te maken om school! Is de opleiding journalistiek niks voor je? Kan je je beroep maken van wat je nu in je vrije tijd doet! :)

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Rosie, I definitely see your point of view, and am in total agreement. I only know Jim though because I was working in the press office at Surbiton, so never really knew him as a tennis fan as such. Speaking of groupies however, there were a group of young ladies spending time with Michael Hill and his crew at 04 Wimbledon. I spoke to JMG about it, but no comment from him on his dubs partner! ;)

*Ljubica*
11-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Rosie, I definitely see your point of view, and am in total agreement. I only know Jim though because I was working in the press office at Surbiton, so never really knew him as a tennis fan as such. Speaking of groupies however, there were a group of young ladies spending time with Michael Hill and his crew at 04 Wimbledon. I spoke to JMG about it, but no comment from him on his dubs partner! ;)

Please don't think I was singling you out personally Andy - I wasn't at all - it is just one of the things that really winds me up big time :devil: :devil: So many people cannot imagine that a woman can afford to travel the world or stay in a nice Hotel unless she is sleeping with some guy to do it - and it drives me wild! I actually worked in the media when I left College and a lot of my contacts come from those times, so I didn't necessarily meet people as a tennis fan either, but so many people are so sexist and bigoted they can't imagine a woman can have a successful career and pay her own way - and I think that's appalling for the 21st century. And OK - I promise that is my last rant!!!!

maratski
11-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm not that rich you know!!! I was thinking about going to a campsite or just setting up a tent at the entrance of RG!!! ;)

You can always pretend you're Andrei Pavel and sleep on a couch in the player's lounge ;)

loeliepoelie
11-27-2004, 10:00 PM
You can always pretend you're Andrei Pavel and sleep on a couch in the player's lounge ;)

good idea :haha:

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 10:00 PM

LOL!!

ae wowww
11-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Excuse poor picture quality!!!

Fedex
11-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Of course I do......and all the rest of the ATP Tour as well :devil:
Even Roddick! :eek: :devil: ;)

maratski
11-27-2004, 10:04 PM
:haha:

*Ljubica*
11-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Even Roddick! :eek: :devil: ;)

:eek: Even a s*** like me has to draw the line somewhere!!!

loeliepoelie
11-27-2004, 10:11 PM
:haha:

CooCooCachoo
11-28-2004, 08:28 AM
I didn't know you had your limits, Rosie :o I guess you are less than a bimbo than we thought you were :devil:

:hug:

ae wowww
11-28-2004, 03:18 PM
We musn't let this thread fall ;)!
The RG Website is already gearing up for next year... This info may be of use to some, although I expect it is already common knowledge:

Line 9: Mairie de Montreuil - Pont de Sèvres (Michel-Ange Auteuil, Michel-Ange Molitor or Porte de Saint Cloud stations)

Line 10: Austerlitz Boulogne station (porte d'Auteuil station) Bus line 22 : Opéra - Porte de Saint Cloud (get off at the terminus)

Line 22: Opéra - Porte de Saint Cloud (get off at Michel Ange Auteuil)
Line 32: Gare de l'Est - Porte d'Auteuil (get off at the terminus)
Line 52: Opéra - Pont de Saint Cloud (get off at Porte d'Auteuil ou la Tourelle)
Line 62: Cours de Vincennes - Porte de Saint Cloud (get off at the terminus)
Line 72: Hôtel de Ville - Pont de Saint Cloud (get off at la Tourelle)
Line 123: Porte d'Auteuil - Mairie d'Issy (get off at Roland-Garros)
Line 241: Suresnes - Porte d'Auteuil (get off at Suzanne-Lenglen)
PC1: Circle bus line (get off at Porte d'Auteuil, Porte Molitor or Porte de Saint Cloud)

A special Roland Garros taxi stand is available during the tournament at the corner of Robert Schuman avenue and Auteuil boulevard. You can also page a taxi from the Suzanne Lenglen North gate between 3 pm and 7 pm.

PARKING
The following public car parks will be open during the tournament :

Pelouse de Saint-Cloud: 700 spaces, 5 euros/day.

Centre Commercial Porte d'Auteuil (Carrefour) : 1,400 spaces, 8 euros/10 hours.

Parking Saint-Cloud : 1,000 spaces, 10 euros/day.

Point du Jour (near Coubertin stadium): 430 spaces, 17 euros/10 hours.

SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE:
A free shuttle bus service is available between the various car parks and Portes d'Auteuil, Saint Cloud, the metro stations and Roland-Garros.

ae wowww
11-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Are the RG Stadium Renovations still ongoing? What are their plans, it was hard to see future ideas from the website.
Does any former visitors, have photos of the immediate surrounding area, or of the grounds themselves?

CooCooCachoo
11-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I found out they have Starbucks in Paris :banana: I might start to like the city after all :lol:

joeb_uk
11-28-2004, 05:56 PM
starbucks is just a coffee company/shops? or is there another starbucks?

ae wowww
11-28-2004, 06:59 PM
What the hell joeb? Starbucks sells coffee yes, and CooCoo likes coffee and Starbucks. What more is there to it?

And does no-body still know about the RG renovations, etc my earlier posts?!

joeb_uk
11-28-2004, 07:23 PM
aha ok! thought maybe there was another starbucks and not just the coffee company

CooCooCachoo
11-29-2004, 07:16 AM
starbucks is just a coffee company/shops? or is there another starbucks?

You don't do justice to it :p

They sell coffee, yes. But it's much more than that :bounce: I don't even like coffee ;) They have iced frapuccino's or something that are delicious :) And good food! And it's all environment-friendly ;) And fair trade :banana: And delicious :drool: :lick:

CooCooCachoo
11-29-2004, 07:17 AM
What the hell joeb? Starbucks sells coffee yes, and CooCoo likes coffee and Starbucks. What more is there to it?

And does no-body still know about the RG renovations, etc my earlier posts?!

Can't help you there.. Though I would like to see some pictures myself :)

ae wowww
12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Arrrgh this thread's disappearing!! help!

star
12-01-2004, 06:30 PM

They sell coffee, yes. But it's much more than that :bounce: I don't even like coffee ;) They have iced frapuccino's or something that are delicious :) And good food! And it's all environment-friendly ;) And fair trade :banana: And delicious :drool: :lick:

frapuccinos are coffe, aren't they.

Starbucks is like the :devil:

I get all my coffee from an independent shop. :)

ae wowww
12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Any other takers for this tourney?? :P
What are considered the official warm ups for the French?

joeb_uk
12-01-2004, 09:31 PM

so its like a palace there? :P

ae wowww
12-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Which players are you guys going for, if specifically for that?

And Who has been before, who hasn't already posted???

ae wowww
12-02-2004, 05:03 PM
So far the list of people going is:

ae wowww :D:D:D
CooCooCachoo
Maratski
Loelipoelie
Rosie
michelleg
Choupi
Eruwen
Bea
PinkFeatherBoa
(?) Roisin
(?) FrogBurger
(?) Ball Buster
jez (in next 5 years:))

Many apologies if I have missed you, just post below this :D

*Ljubica*
12-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Any other takers for this tourney?? :P
What are considered the official warm ups for the French?

Obviously the 3 major clay Masters' (Monte Carlo, Hamburg and Rome) are the major warm-ups for the French. Hamburg only finishes the week-end before RG starts, so there is not much time for any other warm-up events, although many players enjoy the World Team Cup in Dusseldorf as it has a very relaxed "fun" atmosphere. Even players who aren't in the WTC teams are inclined to go there for a few days to practice as the courts there are said to be very similar to the RG ones. LOL - this is making me miserable now - the European clay court season is my favourite time of the year (I am hardly at home for 2 months!) and it seems ages to wait :sad:

ae wowww
12-02-2004, 05:15 PM
The time will pass quickly, I'm sure.. it's not that long :D

*Ljubica*
12-02-2004, 05:18 PM
The time will pass quickly, I'm sure.. it's not that long :D

Four months and one week until Monte Carlo starts!

roisin
12-02-2004, 05:23 PM
hey andy i think u need to put a (?) beside my name on that list because its looking less and less likely that i'll be heading to roland garros next year :sad:

ae wowww
12-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Roisin no!! WHY? I have put one, but fingers crossed you can still come :)

michelleg
12-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Add my name to the list :) I'll be there for qualifs and the whole first week.

Coo, I was there this past year, am staying twice as long in 2005. It was sooooo fantastic.

PM me if you want any details, but I've loads I can share with you if you'd like.

And French schoolchildren aren't so bad. (Remember I went to the USO...talk about irritating fans!) At least they have an excuse for acting like children.

roisin
12-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Roisin no!! WHY? I have put one, but fingers crossed you can still come :)

i know, sucks dosent it. well my sister is being an asshole and stuff so unless i can find somebody else to go with i wont be there.

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry, I can't let this thread slip away! Let's start a countdown to RG :D:D

We need some fresh material to talk about on here gang!

maratski
12-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Are you planning to do other things in Paris then just watching tennis? I might recommend you some things to do :)

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah, may as well find out about other stuff to do... Not sure what you have in mind though maratski ;) I'm not (necessarily) that kind of girl!

maratski
12-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Shopping, museums, night life, parcs or gardens, you name it, I know it ;)

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Well done maratski :D where are the best shops.. and not to mention the cheapest also ;)?

I plan to get presents for all my family hehe, and will buy soooo much RG merchandise, may take another suitcase! LOL

joeb_uk
12-04-2004, 10:14 PM
the merchandise is robbery! its so expensive! i would reccomend buying other gifts :D

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Really? How many times you been joeb?
And what other gifts? (Sorry I didn't mean getting merchandise for the rents... I meant merchandise for me :D and perfume or any other crap for M&D ;))

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Daylight robbery? or is it artificial (the lighting that is)?

maratski
12-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Chatelet, Les Halles is a nice place to shop. it's a big shopping centre and you've got all in one place there. Plenty of shoe stores :cool:

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Oh nice... cool thanks.. you a shoe person then ;)?

maratski
12-04-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm a shopping person ;) but I prefer the shoes in Paris over those here in Holland. :o

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:41 PM
I'm not surprised, I can't imagine anything more uncomfortable than a pair of clogs. Do you live in a windmill perchance?

Now your turn to stereotype me ;) But before you do, I do not wear a top hat & monocle and nor do I sound like Dick Van Dyke, when he was in Mary Poppins.

joeb_uk
12-04-2004, 10:41 PM
i went last year, so its not like the prices are going to have changed. If i remember correctly, its like 30£ - 40 for an umbrella, like 15-20£ for a towel. i cant remember exact prices sorry

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Ahh ok man.. thats pretty accurate, I wonder if they have their online store up yet. I didn't buy, but got given some rare French Davis Cup shizzle...
Basically when France played the USA at RG, all the journalists that covered it got these special medallion things.. and I've got one :P

ae wowww
12-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Was it good fun joeb? How long were you there for... tell us/me more!

joeb_uk
12-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Yes it was great, it was my first tournament i ever went to. i went with my dad, we stayed for 3 nights and had tickets for the mens semis and womens final.
nice to see gaudio play :D just a shame about the womens final. We also watched some of the girls juniors, boys doubles final, mixed doubles final, and mens doubles final. the boys doubles was very enjoyable, i dont like doubles really but i enjoyed it alot! that was before the womens final. After the womens final was the mens doubles, which was also enjoyable