Figure Skating ^ Brian you did it xD Allez!! First World title!!! Many more to come!! [Archive] - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

Figure Skating ^ Brian you did it xD Allez!! First World title!!! Many more to come!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Puschkin
03-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Come on even I wouldn't screm how beautiful he is while commentating figure skating :haha:

Are you sure? :p

Suzi
03-17-2006, 03:23 PM
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

rosespower
03-17-2006, 07:52 PM
lalalalalalalalala

Suzi
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
:haha:

rosespower
03-17-2006, 08:16 PM
???

Sandra
03-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Are you sure? :p
I think so :o :o :o :o

In front of my tv i scream : "Oh, how stupid you are" not ho handsome :lol:

guida
03-17-2006, 11:48 PM
:haha: I was thinking that that is what she might be saying there when I saw the programme but still :eek: Come on even I wouldn't screm how beautiful he is while commentating figure skating :haha:

I know, she obviously has the hots for him and can't hide it! :haha:
( :secret: can't really blame her... ;) )

Here we also have a woman :p She likes Brian a lot, and she's always like "Oh, poor Brian he'll do better bla bla" I really like her :), even if she is a Plushy fan also :mad: :p

Well, the important thing is that she likes Brian. :o :lol:

Oh and yes, I want Evan to do well too. :D
(Plushy, please be generous to your fellow skaters this time... :p )

Scotso
03-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey Evan will get silver. Brian gold :D

I could probably live with that.

Suzi
03-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I couldnt haha

MariaV
03-18-2006, 02:23 PM
... i'm just saying that plushy won a lot of trophies and it is time to let others to win.....
Totally agree Sabrina, TOTALLY agree!!!!!!! :yeah: :yeah:

Sandra
03-18-2006, 03:06 PM
I couldnt haha
Damn you Suzi :ras: Your love for Evs got you blinded :p

Sandra
03-18-2006, 03:07 PM
I know, she obviously has the hots for him and can't hide it! :haha:
( :secret: can't really blame her... ;) )

Well, the important thing is that she likes Brian. :o :lol:

Oh and yes, I want Evan to do well too. :D
(Plushy, please be generous to your fellow skaters this time... :p )
:D :D :D

Sandra
03-18-2006, 03:09 PM
:yeah:

BTW We demand the Evan avvie back for the WC ;)

Mara_M
03-18-2006, 05:20 PM
i don't:p

rosespower
03-18-2006, 06:03 PM
:):hug:

Suzi
03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Damn you Suzi :ras: Your love for Evs got you blinded :p

:nerner: brian can have it nxt yr :haha:

Suzi
03-18-2006, 08:28 PM
:eek: hot off the press no one from the russia olympic squad will compete in calgary

Slutskaya confirms decision to skip worlds

Russia's Irina Slutskaya has confirmed her decision not to defend her title at this month's world figure skating championships.

"I will not go to Calgary," the two-time world champion, who had to settle for bronze at last month's Turin Olympics behind Japan's Shizuka Arakawa and American Sasha Cohen, was quoted as saying by Russian media on Monday.

It was reported last week that Slutskaya was considering to take part in the season's last major championship in the Canadian city of Calgary from March 20 to 26.

She said failure to win the Olympic gold was the biggest disappointment in her sporting career.

"It shattered my dream but I'm a fighter and will not give up," said the 27-year-old Russian, who was also controversially denied gold at the Salt Lake City Olympics four years ago.

"I still have my whole life in front of me," she added.

Slutskaya, however, did not say if she was retiring from amateur competition or planning a comeback next season.

None of Russia's Olympic champions will compete in Calgary.

Pairs winners Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin have retired since their Olympic triumph, while Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov, who won the ice dancing title in Turin, and men's gold medallist Yevgeny Plushenko are all resting.

Suzi
03-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Zhang and Zhang ready for Calgary

Figure skaters Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao, whose heroic silver was a high point of last month's Turin Winter Olympics, are poised to vault China into pairs dominance at the world championships next week in Calgary.

With Turin gold medallists Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin retiring after their Olympic triumph, there is little standing between the Chinese -- who took second, third and fourth place at the Winter Games -- and the world title.

The spotlight will be on the two Zhangs, who leapt to global fame after Zhang Dan fell spectacularly at the finals in Turin only to fight through pain to return to the ice minutes later.

The pair, who are not related, picked up their routine where they had left off and won a courageous silver medal before a thrilled crowd. Doctors later said Zhang Dan had sustained a slight sprain to a ligament in her left knee.

"I've been worried about Zhang Dan's knee for a while, it's good that it is healing well. The joint is still a bit swollen, but has definitely taken a turn for the better," Chinese coach Yao Bin was quoted as saying in the Oriental Sport Daily.

Yao added he had told their pair to be ready for the pressure of global expectations.

"People around the world want to watch you. But considering your injury, don't worry too much about the result," he said he advised the pair.

NAGGING INJURY

A nagging injury has taken a harder toll on Olympic bronze medallists Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, who set out for Calgary with the Chinese delegation on Thursday but will not take the ice.

"I have not fully recovered from the injury," said Zhao, who snapped his Achilles tendon in August and had not competed again before the Olympics.

"So I gave up the world championships, but I will try next time," the 32-year-old was quoted as saying by the People's Daily on Friday.

Twice world champions Zhao and Shen were long China's top pair, but this will be the second worlds in a row they have missed because of injury.

At the Olympics, team mates Zhang and Zhang and Pang Qing and Tong Jian appeared ready to take the torch for China, and without Turin champions Totmianina and Marinin in the mix at Calgary, the world pairs title should be theirs to lose.

Suzi
03-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Plushenko not skating at worlds: report

Olympic gold medallist Evgeni Plushenko of Russia reportedly won't compete in the upcoming world figure skating championships at Calgary.

Plushenko, 23, told the Itar-Tass news agency Monday that he planned not to enter the worlds, to be held March 20-26.

He withdrew from last year's worlds due to injury.

Plushenko, a three-time world champion and runner-up to Alexei Yagudin at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics, clearly outclassed the field in claiming Russia's fifth consecutive gold in men's singles at the recently-completed Torino Olympic Winter Games.

"It was my dream when I was four," Plushenko said afterward. "I saw a competition and said to my mom, 'I have to be there.'

"I said that I wanted to be an Olympic champion. Now I have all the titles and I am really very happy."

Reigning world champion Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland won the silver medal, and Jeff Buttle of Smooth Rock Falls, Ont., the bronze.

Itar-Tass also reported that reigning world champion Irina Slutskaya, who won bronze at Turin, changed her mind and wishes to defend her crown at Calgary.

rosespower
03-18-2006, 08:32 PM
:eek: hot off the press no one from the russia olympic squad will compete in calgary

Slutskaya confirms decision to skip worlds

Russia's Irina Slutskaya has confirmed her decision not to defend her title at this month's world figure skating championships.

"I will not go to Calgary," the two-time world champion, who had to settle for bronze at last month's Turin Olympics behind Japan's Shizuka Arakawa and American Sasha Cohen, was quoted as saying by Russian media on Monday.

It was reported last week that Slutskaya was considering to take part in the season's last major championship in the Canadian city of Calgary from March 20 to 26.

She said failure to win the Olympic gold was the biggest disappointment in her sporting career.

"It shattered my dream but I'm a fighter and will not give up," said the 27-year-old Russian, who was also controversially denied gold at the Salt Lake City Olympics four years ago.

"I still have my whole life in front of me," she added.

Slutskaya, however, did not say if she was retiring from amateur competition or planning a comeback next season.

None of Russia's Olympic champions will compete in Calgary.

Pairs winners Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin have retired since their Olympic triumph, while Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov, who won the ice dancing title in Turin, and men's gold medallist Yevgeny Plushenko are all resting.
OMG! This is the night of the bomb news

Sandra
03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
OMG in this thread too :eek: Now Brian has to be World Champ :D

Suzi
03-18-2006, 08:34 PM
i know i couldnt believe it i was just like wtf

Suzi
03-18-2006, 08:35 PM
MG in this thread too :eek: Now Brian has to be World Champ :D
yeah look what happened last yr :p

EVAN for Gold but if he doesnt then i wouldnt mind briany i suppose :rolleyes: :p hehe as long as it aint buttface

rosespower
03-18-2006, 08:36 PM
wanna move in cameroon?

Suzi
03-18-2006, 08:40 PM
p.s. Sandra i am not in love with Evs, he would have to compete with others who i lurve more :p haha

Sandra
03-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Brian world champ this year. Come on baby :rocker2: :kiss:

rosespower
03-18-2006, 08:55 PM
BRIANnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Scotso
03-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Evan! Evan! Evan!

guida
03-18-2006, 10:28 PM
I can't believe none of the Russians will be there! :eek:
Brian I swear, if you screw this up then... :smash:

Brian, Evan and Sasha all have a BIG chance to do better now! :bounce:
Can't wait, can't wait! :banana:

Sandra
03-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Yay ES will show the men's qualies tonight :D That means I'll get to see more of Brian :cool:

Evan avvie is back :inlove:

Scotso
03-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Yay ES will show the men's qualies tonight :D That means I'll get to see more of Brian :cool:

Evan avvie is back :inlove:

Eurosport?

Will there be a live stream?

Suzi
03-19-2006, 04:04 PM
they u know where i can watch it online :p

rosespower
03-19-2006, 04:10 PM
where where? what who how?

Suzi
03-19-2006, 04:26 PM
sorry DO u know where i can watch it online

rosespower
03-19-2006, 04:37 PM
:sad: no i don't i thought you know....

Scotso
03-19-2006, 08:57 PM
No one knows? :mad:

Mara_M
03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
I can't believe none of the Russians will be there! :eek:

:eek::eek::bigcry:then's nothing interesting:p!i can see it will be lambial again:rolleyes:!
hmm,i might not miss the russians in dance:p!

Suzi
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
:eek::eek::bigcry:then's nothing interesting:p!i can see it will be lambial again:rolleyes:!
hmm,i might not miss the russians in dance:p!

plz save us all hehe

Scotso
03-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Lambiel is okay, but I don't want him to start dominating now that we seem to perhaps be rid of Plushy.

Sandra
03-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Damn ES :mad: They didn't show the qualies yday :fiery:
Anyone knows the resaults?

rosespower
03-20-2006, 08:46 AM
the qualies at boys are today... so...

Sandra
03-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Oh :o So they'll show 'em? :D

Suzi
03-20-2006, 08:53 AM

rosespower
03-20-2006, 08:53 AM
15:15*Men - Qualifying
in the LIVE box at es.com but i doubt they"ll show this at TV

rosespower
03-20-2006, 08:56 AM
ooooooo yeah... i saw the shedule for today and they'll show 115 min from the qualies......1815 cet that means i guess 19 at romanian time

MariaV
03-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Lambiel is okay, but I don't want him to start dominating now that we seem to perhaps be rid of Plushy.
Love your Evan avvy Scott! :hearts: :inlove: Hehe, what a thought - Lambiel dominating in figure skating like Fed in tennis. :lol: But I guess other guys will have their say here.
And we might not be rid of Plushy just yet. As after the Olympics he clearly said he wants '4 more years' till the 2nd Olympic gold. :scared: So who knows, he might be back for the next season or just the Olympics as the ice dance couples did, just to spoil the fun for other guys.

MariaV
03-20-2006, 09:00 AM
ooooooo yeah... i'll saw the shedule for today and they'll show 115 min from the qualies......1815 cet that means i guess 19 at romanian time
Thanks for the news Sabrina. :hug:

rosespower
03-20-2006, 09:02 AM
np:hug:

Scotso
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Love your Evan avvy Scott! :hearts: :inlove: Hehe, what a thought - Lambiel dominating in figure skating like Fed in tennis. :lol: But I guess other guys will have their say here.
And we might not be rid of Plushy just yet. As after the Olympics he clearly said he wants '4 more years' till the 2nd Olympic gold. :scared: So who knows, he might be back for the next season or just the Olympics as the ice dance couples did, just to spoil the fun for other guys.

They gave Plushy the obligatory gold... but he won't get away with his boring brand of jumping to be handed Olympic gold again.

Puschkin
03-20-2006, 01:31 PM
I'd be very greatful if somebody could educate me on the qualifying. Does it count for the title race or do the qualified start from scratch with the short programme?

rosespower
03-20-2006, 03:48 PM
the qualies are qualies then is the short prog and then is the free prog.... hope you understood

Suzi
03-20-2006, 04:22 PM
go evs!!

him practising in calgary.....

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060318/capt.cnet10803182012.world_championships_figure_sk ating_cnet108.jpg

ignore the two numpties in the foreground lolz.....

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060318/capt.cnet10303181944.world_championships_figure_sk ating_cnet103.jpg

Suzi
03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
i think in the womens its Cohens to lose as both omg her name escapes me :smash: ummmm god............................................... .................. slutskaya thats the one and arakawa arnt there

Suzi
03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Whereas mens i think it is actually quite wide open

Suzi
03-20-2006, 04:30 PM
and pairs i dont care just GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Qing PANG / Jian TONG
Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG

rosespower
03-20-2006, 05:51 PM
go briii!!!

Mara_M
03-20-2006, 06:31 PM
evan was :spit:,he missed a lot

Mara_M
03-20-2006, 06:34 PM
stephan was pretty good:awww:!now i'm VERY objective cuz i don't give a damn who wins:p

Mara_M
03-20-2006, 06:38 PM
:eek:what a score for stephan

rosespower
03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
sadly i'm not watching....

Eruwen
03-20-2006, 06:56 PM
:wavey: Hey all!

Stéphane :banana: He was good! And the look on his face after he landed the triple axel... awww! :hug:

Suzi
03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
well all im saying is that its only qualies :p

Corinna
03-20-2006, 07:26 PM
stéphane :woohoo:

musefanatic
03-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Well done Stephane! I can't wait to see Brian Joubert skate! :) Just a shame Plushenko's not there

Sandra
03-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Did Brian skate today?

Scotso
03-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Not yet.

Evan :help:

Scotso
03-20-2006, 09:22 PM
I'd be very greatful if somebody could educate me on the qualifying. Does it count for the title race or do the qualified start from scratch with the short programme?

It counts. The qualifying scores are divided by 4 and added to the skater's final scores.

It's stupid.

guida
03-20-2006, 09:28 PM
It counts. The qualifying scores are divided by 4 and added to the skater's final scores.

It's stupid.

Very much so. :mad:

Puschkin
03-21-2006, 05:34 AM

Thanks. :wavey:

Sandra
03-21-2006, 07:35 AM

It's stupid.
:eek: I had no idea of this :o :o :o

rosespower
03-21-2006, 07:44 AM
yes the qualies counts and btw ...
Brian was third in his group after japanese ODA and the canadian Buttle....

Sandra
03-21-2006, 07:55 AM
WTF :shout: now I'm really mad. Why does he suck so badly :bigcry: ???? Damn it :mad: What score?

MariaV
03-21-2006, 07:57 AM
They gave Plushy the obligatory gold... but he won't get away with his boring brand of jumping to be handed Olympic gold again.
Let's hope you're right but you saw with the new judging system - techical elements (and mystical 'levels') are all that count! :( Everyone only going for the elements elements elements!
And as Plushy got his lesson at the Grand Prix final last year he's excellent at math now. ;)
I mean not that I'm totally against the new system or have a better idea so ... :shrug:

Sandra
03-21-2006, 07:58 AM
New title, since he skates so well :rolleyes:

MariaV
03-21-2006, 08:05 AM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11929515/

rosespower
03-21-2006, 08:09 AM
WTF :shout: now I'm really mad. Why does he suck so badly :bigcry: ???? Damn it :mad: What score?
i don't know the score it was just saw a little article on l'equipe site

Sandra
03-21-2006, 08:20 AM
WTF, now I am really really :mad: :shout: ES aren't showing here live the men's SP and they are showing it tomorrow when I'm in school :sad: Why? :bigcry:

Damn ES :smash:

Suzi
03-21-2006, 08:49 AM
:eek: I had no idea of this :o :o :o

nor did i :o, i just assummed its qualifying and it stays like that but heh wtf i dont care loving the new title sandra :hug:

Sandra
03-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Suzi :hug:

Sandra
03-21-2006, 08:55 AM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11929515/
:smash: to the writer of that article. So many details about Brian :hearts: :ras:

Thanks Maria for posting it :hug:

Suzi
03-21-2006, 08:56 AM
well ive decided im not gonna get emotionally attached haha this time :angel:

Sandra
03-21-2006, 09:03 AM
I can't as much as I'd like to :o

That is why, I am trying to make myself think that is okay if Brian gets to the gala, even if I still hope that, that gold medal could be won by him this year :p

Suzi
03-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I can't as much as I'd like to :o

That is why, I am trying to make myself think that is okay if Brian gets to the gala, even if I still hope that, that gold medal could be won by him this year :p
well maybe i should keep my opinions to myself as last time :rolleyes: it got a bit hectic hahahaha, to me now WC come round every yr :p

Puschkin
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
For the French speaking world:

Après son échec aux Jeux de Turin, Brian Joubert est sorti troisième de son groupe de qualifications aux Championnats du monde, lundi à Calgary. En effectuant parfaitement son ancien programme, le patineur Français se rassure avant le court. Alban Préaubert s'est également fait remarquer.

Brian Joubert s'est rassuré en reprenant avec succès son ancien programme, Matrix, sur lequel il a réussi une combinaison quadruple-triple boucle piqué, lundi soir, en qualifications aux Championnats du monde à Calgary. Après son échec aux jeux Olympiques de Turin (6e), le N.1 français voulait "se reconstruire mentalement", a-t-il expliqué. "Au début du programme j'étais super bien et puis j'ai eu un coup de pompe. J'ai donc simplifié les deux derniers sauts qui étaient très durs. C'est assez satisfaisant quand même. Ca me fait énormément de bien et c'est encourageant pour le court de demain. C'est un recommencement. Je suis là pour me reconstruire mentalement", a-t-il dit.

Avec 136,20 points Joubert est 3e de son groupe de qualification derrière le Japonais Noburani Oda (144,90) et le Canadien Jeffrey Buttle (137,90) qui a pourtant chuté deux fois, notamment sur sa combinaison triple Axel-double boucle piqué.

Le deuxième Français, Alban Préaubert, a effectué une très belle prestation sur de la musique de jazz qui a plu au public canadien. Enchaînant trois combinaisons d'entrée (triple Flip-triple boucle piqué, triple Axel-double boucle piqué, triple Lutz-double boucle piqué), Préaubert a encore placé quatre triples sauts (boucle, Axel, Flip et un Salchow en fin de programme) ce qui lui a permis d'améliorer une nouvelle fois son record personnel (124,80 à la Coupe de Russie en novembre 2005) de près de huit points à 132,70 points.

Il s'est placé 5e de son groupe de qualification derrière l'Américain Johnny Weir. "Magnifique" a lâché Annick Dumont, son entraîneur, alors qu'il se rendait au "kiss and cry". "Je savoure pleinement tout ce qu'on m'offre cette année. J'ai beaucoup progressé à chaque compétition. Je tenterai le quad dans le long" , a-t-il dit en espérant finir dans les 15 premiers, voire dans le top 12 "ce qui serait exceptionnel".

Avec 160,90 points, le Suisse Stéphane Lambiel, tenant du titre, avait pris la tête du premier groupe de qualification, dans la matinée. Lambiel, qui avait hésité à venir à cause d'un genou droit qui le fait toujours souffrir, a très bien déroulé son programme long sur les quatre saisons de Vivaldi avec deux quadruples sauts réussis. Il a battu son record personnel (154,14 à l'Euro-2006 à Lyon).

"Les gens doivent se demander si on patine aussi bien en qualification que pour le programme libre. Ma philosophie est de toujours donner le maximum. Je me sens bien sur la glace, même si ma blessure n'a pas disparu. La saison est longue et la fatigue est là avec le stress des Jeux en plus, mais la force mentale a pris le dessus. Je remercie le public pour son soutien, même s'il n'est pas venu en nombre ce matin", a déclaré le champion suisse, bien parti pour conserver son titre.

L'Américain Evan Lysacek (139,70 pts) s'était classé 2e de ces qualifications matinales en chutant deux fois sur ses combinaisons. Le Russe Ilia Klimkin était 3e avec 130,60 points. De l'avis général des observateurs et des spécialistes, Buttle et Lysacek ont été sur-notés. "C'est un scandale. Si l'ISU (la fédération internationale) veut crédibiliser son nouveau système de notation, ce genre de notes pour des compétiteurs qui ont chuté est inacceptable", a déclaré le directeur des équipes de France, Jean-Roland Racle.

Source: http://www.eurosport.fr/patinageartistique/mondiaux/2006/sport_sto853899.shtml

I have to say, I am lost. What did Brian do to be behind a falling Buttle? And Lysacek fell too? :confused:

rosespower
03-21-2006, 10:02 AM
i read the part about the brian prog....
and brian says that he wants to rebuild his mental.... and although he did he's ancient prog matrix he simplified some parts....
i guess he didn't want to take risks he just wanted to have a good mental before the short prog...

rosespower
03-21-2006, 10:04 AM
and bad news... i looked to see if the free prog will be live on es....and i didn't find anything ... i hope it is my mistake because i really want to see at least the long prog...

rosespower
03-21-2006, 10:05 AM
and another thing... the diference between buttle and brian isn't so big....

rosespower
03-21-2006, 10:07 AM
23:45*Men - Free Skating... that means almost 1 am...in here.... i really don't understand why it is so late....

rosespower
03-21-2006, 10:07 AM
on the 23...btw

Puschkin
03-21-2006, 10:12 AM
on the 23...btw
My TV programme says there is a summary on the 24th in the morning. 11.00am CET or so on Eurosport.

Scotso
03-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Well I'm glad that Evan is only in third right now. I like Lambiel but I hope he blows it so someone else can win. (NOT ODA!)

Suzi
03-21-2006, 04:48 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060321/i/r2219130318.jpghttp://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060321/i/r3934642156.jpg
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060321/i/r3391705470.jpghttp://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060320/capt.cnet11603202016.world_championships_figure_sk ating_cnet116.jpg

Suzi
03-21-2006, 04:49 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060320/capt.pch11403202010.world_championships_figure_ska ting_pch114.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060320/capt.pch11303201945.world_championships_figure_ska ting_pch113.jpg

there are quite a few of evs falling so i think i just leave em :p

Suzi
03-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Lambiel on Top

Stephane Lambiel earned the most points in group A of the World Championships qualifying round on Monday ahead of the USA's Evan Lysacek and Russian Ilia Klimkin. The Swiss' 160.9 points placed him far ahead of the American's 139.7 points.

Lysacek was in a comfortable first place before Lambiel's program despite taking a spectacular spill. His high scores, placing him easily on top of the pile, raised eyebrows in the Calgary ice rink.

Klimkin, the first skater to land two different quadruple jumps in one program earned himself 130.6 points.

The Chinese had a successful qualifying session with Min Zhang Chengjiang Li in fourth and fifth places respectively.

Canadian hopeful Shawn Sawyer finished 10th with 111.2 points.

Group B qualification will take place following the pairs short program for which results will be available Tuesday.

The Men's short program will take place Tuesday at 23:30CET live on eurosport.com.

:eek: 2 chinese in top 5 whats going on this is mens skating aint it :p haha

Suzi
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
:woohoo: Doing the Zhang/Cheung clan proud :p

Zhang and Zhang lead the way

China's Dan and Hao Zhang lead the way after the Short Program in the Pairs competition at the World Championships in Calgary. Fellow countrymen Qing Pang and Jian Tong were narrowly beaten into second place with Russia's Maria Petrova and Alewei Tikhonov rounding out the top three.

Without a trace of nerves being show, a feat of great mental strength after the horrific fall that saw Dan Zhang hit the ice face first in the Turin Olympics, the Chinese pair justified their tags as favourites as they executed a flawless routine.

Superbly synchronised and imaginative in their interpretation of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir, they leapt to the top of the standings in their bid to improve on the silver medal they achieved last month.

They hold a surprisingly slender lead over Qing Pang and Jian Tong in second place, although their own outing to the ice was similarly beautifully done and fully deserving of a place from which to strike for the gold.

Such a performance would go some way to make up for an Olympics in which they finished in the dreaded fourth place.

Rounding out the top three came the top Russian pair of Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov with a fluid display of skating.

The Canadian crowd reserved a special reception for Valerie Marcoux and Craig Buntin.

They managed to cut out the myriad of mistakes that punctuated their Olympic disaster with a smooth effort that propelled them into fourth place and a shot at the Podium.

Further down the field, America's Rena Inoue and John Baldwin once again produced the only thrown triple-axel in the field but stuttered on their side-by-side triples to sit in sixth place.

However, with less than five marks separating the top-six, anything could happen in the free program on Wednesday starting at 22:00 cet. eek

rosespower
03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
you must be so proud suzi so congrats for your clan...

MariaV
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
23:45*Men - Free Skating... that means almost 1 am...in here.... i really don't understand why it is so late....
Bc it's Canada dear, at the other side of the world. ;)
I'm going to get some good sleep to be ready for tomorrow night.

SUUUUUZER the pic queen!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Sandra
03-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Brain in that outfit :inlove: :drool:

Suzi
03-21-2006, 06:02 PM
you must be so proud suzi so congrats for your clan...

:haha: they aint won it yet :p

MariaV
03-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Well I'm glad that Evan is only in third right now. I like Lambiel but I hope he blows it so someone else can win. (NOT ODA!)
Everything is still possible, if Evan skates clean short and free pr he can even win gold.
Lambiel's knee is still not healed so.... anything can happen. The group behind Lambiel is very close to each other.

Scotso
03-21-2006, 09:03 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060321/i/r3934642156.jpg

Gheorghe :hearts:

justClaudia
03-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Stephane. :rocker2:

Good luck to Evan as well.

Scotso
03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.asiaplate.com/live.today.htm

you can watch the men's short program live here if you have a livestreaming program. go to the bottom and click on the "play" under the program you have beside CCTV-5.

justClaudia
03-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks! :D

Scotso
03-21-2006, 11:42 PM
They cut coverage for some reason. I hope it comes back before the last group skates.

Scotso
03-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Sandra will be happy, as Brian was flawless and first in the short program.

I question the judges, they put Sandhu so high despite a fall, while Evan was 8 points behind him and was clean. Oda should never be this high. It's disgusting.

Top 8:
1 Stephane LAMBIEL SUI 117.64
2 Nobunari ODA JPN 114.48
3 Brian JOUBERT FRA 114.36
4 Jeffrey BUTTLE CAN 107.78
5 Emanuel SANDHU CAN 107.36
6 Johnny WEIR USA 106.91
7 Evan LYSACEK USA 105.25
8 Chengjiang LI CHN 104.82

RogiFan88
03-22-2006, 02:46 AM
yes but Oda is like the Rafa Nadal of figure skating!! I think he was cool! Agree re: Sandhu tho... I like the "coccinelle guy" fr SUI. ;)

Scotso
03-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Oda is okay, his enthusiasm is nice... but his artistic ability is quite below that of the other top skaters.

Puschkin
03-22-2006, 05:21 AM
Lambiel holds on

Men's short programSwitzerland's Stephane Lambiel held on to first place after the short program in Calgary on Tuesday despite being far from his best. Both Japan's Nobinari Oda and Brian Joubert of France produced their best form to close the gap on the defending champion and set up a fascinating free program.

The Olympic silver medalist looked shaky on a couple of his jumps on Tuesday and as a result has left the door ajar for his nearest competitors to possible catch him in the free program if they can skate to their potential.

The pursuit is lead by Oda, who produced a flawless routine to pile on the pressure with a running total of 114.48 compared to 117.64 for Lambiel.

Next up is Brian Joubert. The Frenchman produced the display of the night to wow the packed 17,000 crowd in Calgary.

His interpretation of 'Die Another Day', an old James Bond theme tune was unparalleled by his competitors and his execution was perfect as he drew a standing ovation from the Canadian spectators. Also, a special mention should also go to home favourite Emanuel Sandhu, who produced a stunning display of skating and power jumping to leap up the standings from 15th to fifth despite a big fall halfway through his time on the ice.

In contrast, the great Canadian hopes on the shoulders of fourth placed Jeffrey Buttle seemed to get him as he produced an error-strewn display to leave himself nearly ten points behind Lambiel while just hanging onto his position.

All in all, with the top three head and shoulders above the rest going into the free-skate, we should be treated to a royal showdown on Thursday, when they take to the ice from 23:45 cet.

Source: http://www.eurosport.com/figureskating/world-championships/2006/sport_sto854400.shtml

Eurosport France is even more enthusaistic: http://www.eurosport.fr/patinageartistique/mondiaux/2006/sport_sto854410.shtml and it is also currently on the front page of L'Equipe :) .

rosespower
03-22-2006, 06:46 AM
http://www.asiaplate.com/live.today.htm

you can watch the men's short program live here if you have a livestreaming program. go to the bottom and click on the "play" under the program you have beside CCTV-5.
thanks for the tip

rosespower
03-22-2006, 06:50 AM

I question the judges, they put Sandhu so high despite a fall, while Evan was 8 points behind him and was clean. Oda should never be this high. It's disgusting.

Top 8:
6 Johnny WEIR USA 106.91
it is simple we had already this talk it is all about the new sistem of judging.... ;) :)

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:20 AM

Top 8:
6 Johnny WEIR USA 106.91

OMG OMG OMG :eek: :eek:

Am I reading this right?????? Brian had the best SP? :eek:
And he is third because if the qualies :fiery: ?

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:23 AM
OMG I am so happy Brian is good again. Now get the gold baby :rocker2:

Fuck the qualies :fiery:

MariaV
03-22-2006, 07:24 AM
You read everything right Sandra! :D :hug: Well done Brian! :yeah:

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:26 AM
I have this stupid smile on my face atm. I am just happy that he is good again :)

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:27 AM
GOLD and BRIAN CAMPAIGN!!!!

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:33 AM
3.3 points isnt that much, is it?

bokehlicious
03-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Stephane get the gold please, dont' choke, you deserve it, you're the one !!!!

MariaV
03-22-2006, 07:38 AM
No, it's not much, depends on how well Lambiel will skate. :D So anything can still happen.

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Stephane get the gold please, dont' choke, you deserve it, you're the one !!!!
:rolleyes:

Who had a flawless SP? :nerner:

:p :hug:

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:41 AM
well i said beforehand if evs dont got no gold it has to be brian or i am gonna sulk hahahaha

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:42 AM
i dunno but i find that sandhu a bit dodgy

MariaV
03-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Lambiel doesn't seem like a choker type. But will his knee hold up? :shrug:
Brian can have a silver. ;) :hug:

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:44 AM
i dunno but i find that sandhu a bit dodgy
We are in Canada :D

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Lambiel doesn't seem like a choker type. But will his knee hold up? :shrug:
Brian can have a silver. ;) :hug:
He doesnt have to be a choker. Matrix is :hearts:

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:49 AM
like my avy now?

MariaV
03-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Oh wow Sabrina! :)

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Yay Sabri Matriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiix :inlove:

Puschkin
03-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Did somebody actually see the short programme on TV?

Sandra
03-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Not me :sad: damn ES :smash:

MariaV
03-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Did somebody actually see the short programme on TV?
Scott watched the live stream I guess.

ES is gonna show it 15.25 CET.

Puschkin
03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Scott watched the live stream I guess.

ES is gonna show it 15.25 CET.

Thanks, but I won't be able to watch.

Suzi
03-22-2006, 11:27 AM
We are in Canada :D
no i mean the person itself, not because of the judging just him in general he looks shifty

rosespower
03-22-2006, 11:43 AM
......the broadcasting is so unfair ....but i hope that will bring bri luck.....

MariaV
03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Haha, whatdya mean he looks shifty Suzi? :lol: He has a ballet dancing background of some sorts if I'm not wrong and he's gay not that it has something to do with shiftyness.
I like him alot, when he's on he's awesome.

Suzi
03-22-2006, 01:16 PM
well ive posted it before but i just cant get over it :haha:

http://www.torino2006.org/resources/ATH/img_600122.jpg

Corinna
03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Stephane. :rocker2:

Good luck to Evan as well.
:D :woohoo:

rosespower
03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
i got chills even now.... today i saw BRIAN not the imitation from the olympics or from the europeans........... he was BRIliant....

Sandra
03-22-2006, 06:05 PM
i got chills even now.... today i saw BRIAN not the imitation from the olympics or from the europeans........... he was BRIliant....
I didn't see it. I want details Sabri :D

Oh and BTW can I download his prog. somewhere?

rosespower
03-22-2006, 06:12 PM
he's jumps were perfect... at landing not a shadow of insecurity.... he was alive..... and at the final of the prog he smiled after a long time and that tells more than my explanations or others...

MariaV
03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Suzi is a riot!!!!!! :haha: :haha:

Sandra
03-22-2006, 06:24 PM
he's jumps were perfect... at landing not a shadow of insecurity.... he was alive..... and at the final of the prog he smiled after a long time and that tells more than my explanations or others...
Thank you :hug: :D

Suzi
03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
u cant download but u can watch it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaBWgOYlwE&search=brian%20joubert

rosespower
03-22-2006, 06:28 PM
thanks for the link

Suzi
03-22-2006, 06:29 PM
ooo watching it now so far his jumps very good actually, ive always thought that his kinda choreography was a bit :retard: and he doesnt have the kinda glide or stuff that others have but i always knew that (when he gets it right) his technical ability is v.good

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Brian was great. He was perfect, I am even reliefed to say this. Cause he was worrying me lately with his lack of concentration.

Seems that the old Brian is back, I sure hope so. Well done kiddo. :rocker2:

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Suzles, thanks for the link. :p

Suzi
03-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Stephane lambiel :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23EZsko_cxk&search=stephane%20lambiel

i tried to get evs but it wont load :(

Suzi
omg did not realise Bri got a PB well done dude

Scotso
I hope Evan comes back and medals... and I want Oda to fail. To fail miserably. Same with Can'tdu.

Brian must get gold.

Suzi
03-22-2006, 06:40 PM
hehe cantdu lolz thats something i wud do lolz

Brian Joubert

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060322/capt.pch14303220539.world_figure_skating_champions hips_pch143.jpg

Lambiel

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060322/i/r764460279.jpg

Evs

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060322/capt.cnbm12603220223.world_championships_figure_sk ating__cnbm126.jpg

MariaV
03-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Can'tdu!!!! :haha:
Thanks for the links Suzi! :kiss:

rosespower
suzi the pics master like always...

Scotso
Brian was pumped after his SP. It would have been nice to be his lover that night.

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 06:44 PM

I love you. :p

Thanks.

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Brian was pumped after his SP. It would have been nice to be his lover that night.

:lol:

Suzi
03-22-2006, 06:46 PM
:spit:

rosespower
03-22-2006, 06:47 PM
:)

Scotso
03-22-2006, 06:50 PM
As if you all weren't thinking the same thing.

Scotso
03-22-2006, 06:54 PM
I WANT MY NEW AVATAR.

rosespower
03-22-2006, 06:54 PM
noooo..... you lil pervert..:P :)

Sandra
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I hope the LP works for Brain as the SP :D I am really really shocked :lol:
I love him :inlove:

Scotso
03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Perverts sneak around trying to grope people. I just walk up and ask permission.

rosespower
shocked? and yes we all love him...

Scotso
I hope the LP works for Brain as the SP :D I am really really shocked :lol:
I love him :inlove:

He loves you, too.

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Not about Brian nope. But that avvie you have.....hmmm I don't know. It's quite inspiring.

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I forbid you from thinking naughty thoughts about my Evan. He is totally pure and doesn't have sex. That's disgusting.

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Btw, I have the Olympic Ice episode with Evan on it saved to my computer now if anyone wants it.

Sandra
03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
He loves you, too.
Oh :lol: I love you too now :kiss: :p

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
I forbid you from thinking naughty thoughts about my Evan. He is totally pure and doesn't have sex. That's disgusting.

i agree :angel:

figures claudes to bring it up :nerner:

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:09 PM
I still have the link actually.

http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3L620R6C5QJXX2S69T6EZPITXJ

You can download it there.

Suzi
Btw, I have the Olympic Ice episode with Evan on it saved to my computer now if anyone wants it.

lol me want me want ;) please

Sandra
I was :o

rosespower
we are still waiting the wedding sandra....

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I was :o

No shame in that.

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 07:17 PM

What's disgusting, my thoughts? Or sex? :unsure:

How could sex ever be disgusting? :lol: No way never!

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:18 PM
The thought that Evan has sex. :p

He's an :angel:.

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
i agree :angel:

figures claudes to bring it up :nerner:
:nerner: You not gonna make apologize from having those thoughts, as if.

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:20 PM
:p

PamV
03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I wanted to start a new Figure Skating thread about the 2006 Worlds but the system wouldn't let me. Why is that? I think this thread here is kind of long and old. Can't we have new threads about Skating?

Any way.....I was trying to check when the Worlds are and I see they've already begun.

Here's the ESPN schedule:

2006 World Figure Skating Championships
March 20 - March 26, 2006

EVENT LOCATION

Calgary, Canada

ESPN 3/23 7:30-11 p.m.
ESPN 3/24 3-5 a.m.
ESPN 3/24 7:30-11 p.m.
ESPN 3/25 3-5 a.m.
ESPN2 3/25 12-3 p.m.
ESPN 3/25 5:30-9 p.m.
ESPN 3/26 3:30-5:30 a.m.
ESPN2 3/26 12-2 p.m.
ESPN 3/26 4:30-5:30 p.m.
ESPN 3/26 5:30-7:30 p.m.
ESPN 4/1 8-11 p.m.
ESPN 4/3 9-11:30 p.m.
ESPN2 7/10 7:30-10:30 p.m.

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:22 PM
I fail to understand why ESPN can't at least broadcast the coverage the same day it happens. It's bad enough it's on tape delay, but why delay it for two days?

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Hee.

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
pam it is useless to start a thread with the same theme.. and what is wrong to post here?

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:27 PM
ive already seem themones before :angel:

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I knew you all probably had, but I just felt like posting them. I'll probably do it again later. :p

:drool:

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:30 PM
in the first one it is obviously that he is not him... but in the second one....that one makes you wish to be there....
but i want to know if who made that pic is a boy or a girl....

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
in the first one it is obviously that he is not him... but in the second one....that one makes you wish to be there....
but i want to know if who made that pic is a boy or a girl....

No, the first pic is really him. It was in a French magazine.

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
yeah theres another one of him similar attire well no attire at all :lol:

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:34 PM
No, the first pic is really him. It was in a French magazine.
in the first one he looks like he got juiced( steroids) and is not sexy at all...(my opinion)

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the first picture isn't that great, but it's because they were making him flex all his muscles and such. I think he's slimmed down since then, as well.

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:35 PM
;)

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:36 PM
nah hes too innocent to do the open shirt look thing ;)

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:36 PM
why all this excitment around evan?

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
nah hes too innocent to do the open shirt look thing ;)

It's a very innocent picture. It was a hot day. ;)

And the excitement is because he's sweet, intelligent, funny, and beautiful. :D

Sandra
Cause he is hot. well not as hot as my future husband :p

Corinna

awww suz :hug: i've already loved you - but now i love you even more :hug: :hug:

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:42 PM

haha ok

and sabri why all this excitement - well not everyone has to be a bri fan :p

:hug: corinna

Scotso
03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
I gotta take off now. Have a good day, guys. :D

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:46 PM
byyyyyyyyyyeee

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:49 PM
haha ok

and sabri why all this excitement - well not everyone has to be a bri fan :p

:hug: corinna
i'm just asking why.... because when i look at him i imagine that he's face is made of wax... i'm not saying that everybody needs to like anybody... i'm the first saying that... :) ;)

rosespower
03-22-2006, 07:50 PM
I gotta take off now. Have a good day, guys. :D
bye!!!

Corinna
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
1 Andrei GRIAZEV RUS 21 86.79
2 Shawn SAWYER CAN 24 81.03
3 Ivan DINEV BUL 20 87.96
4 Trifun ZIVANOVIC SCG 23 81.61
5 Gregor URBAS SLO 19 88.32
6 Kristoffer BERNTSSON SWE 22 82.10

Warm-Up Group 2
7 Alban PREAUBERT FRA 13 94.80
8 Silvio SMALUN GER 14 94.47
9 Min ZHANG CHN 18 91.81
10 Anton KOVALEVSKI UKR 15 94.11
11 Gheorghe CHIPER ROM 16 94.05
12 Roman SEROV ISR 17 92.91

Warm-Up Group 3
13 Sergei DAVYDOV BLR 12 96.90
14 Matthew SAVOIE USA 10 99.33
15 Chengjiang LI CHN 8 104.82
16 Tomas VERNER CZE 11 97.33
17 Evan LYSACEK USA 7 105.25
18 Ilia KLIMKIN RUS 9 101.37

Warm-Up Group 4
19 Nobunari ODA JPN 2 114.48
20 Brian JOUBERT FRA 3 114.36
21 Jeffrey BUTTLE CAN 4 107.78
22 Emanuel SANDHU CAN 5 107.36
23 Johnny WEIR USA 6 106.91
24 Stephane LAMBIEL SUI 1 117.64

i wonder if it will be shown on ES :scratch:

Suzi
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
i'm just asking why.... because when i look at him i imagine that he's face is made of wax... i'm not saying that everybody needs to like anybody... i'm the first saying that... :) ;)
its not all a bout looks now, hahahahaha

beautys in the eye of the beholder

rosespower
03-22-2006, 08:03 PM
it is not the looks... really ian is not gorgeous.... anyway is everything about taste

Sandra
03-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Alban is here :bounce:

Suzi
03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdH7qWnJyhc&search=evan%20lysacek

Sandra
03-22-2006, 08:39 PM
:kiss:

Suzi
03-22-2006, 08:48 PM
ok so its tommorow ok it better be bri or someone else other than the ones i dislike because by that time i will probably be in a bad mood, i just realised !!!

rosespower
03-22-2006, 08:49 PM

Sandra
03-22-2006, 08:49 PM
It has to be my baby :awww:

rosespower
03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
why are you so sure about your mood?

Suzi
03-22-2006, 08:52 PM
why are you so sure about your mood?
trust me when i get back at about 5-6pm tommorow i will be

rosespower
03-22-2006, 08:55 PM
you know best...

Suzi
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
maybe i be very happy but i doubt it :rolleyes:

rosespower
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
i'm going to sleep... good night!

Suzi
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
night :hug: i mite head off actually no im off to watch Desperate housewives :p

Mara_M
03-22-2006, 09:21 PM
bri on tv:p

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 10:41 PM

Innocent my ass. :tape:

;)

Scotso
03-22-2006, 11:24 PM
He's superinnocent! He's a good boy.

If Oda gets a medal I'll be pissed. And if Evan is underscored again I'll be even more pissed. And if Can'tdu gets a medal, I'll be EVEN more pissed.

daze11
03-22-2006, 11:27 PM

If Oda gets a medal I'll be pissed. And if Evan is underscored again I'll be even more pissed. And if Can'tdu gets a medal, I'll be EVEN more pissed.will you piss in my mouth?

sorry everybody!! i couldnt resist... daisy :hearts: karolbeckfan

justClaudia
03-22-2006, 11:45 PM

If Oda gets a medal I'll be pissed. And if Evan is underscored again I'll be even more pissed. And if Can'tdu gets a medal, I'll be EVEN more pissed.

So am I. :angel: A good girl of course.

Scotso
03-23-2006, 02:53 AM
will you piss in my mouth?

sorry everybody!! i couldnt resist... daisy :hearts: karolbeckfan

Sure, why not.

daze11
03-23-2006, 03:26 AM
Sure, why not. :bounce: you know its my favorite to drink from a wide-cylinder beverage like yours! :D :lick:

Scotso
03-23-2006, 06:10 AM
What can I say? When people go Scott, they don't go back.

Suzi
03-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Cohen gold hopes hit

Reuters - 23/03/2006

Sasha Cohen's world championship title hopes were dealt a blow on Wednesday when the Olympic silver medallist stumbled her way through qualifying to finish in third place.

The gold medal favourite, with Olympic champion Shizuka Arakawa and defending champion Irina Slutskaya not competing in Calgary, Cohen had looked well positoned to end a string of runner-up finishes that included silver medals from the last two worlds championships.

But after a strong start to her routine, the 21-year-old American fell on her triple-flip, double toe-loop combination and again on a triple Salchow.

She also stepped out of her triple toe-loop combination, in a performance that left her in third place in her group with a mark of 110.36, behind Japan's Fumie Suguri (113.88) and U.S. team mate Kimmie Meissner (113.84).

"It was a little odd out there, not what I wanted," Cohen told reporters. "But there are still two performances to go, I just have to forget about it and move on.

"I didn't attack, I needed to have a little more fire today. It's definitely tough after the Olympics. Last week I was skating really well and I wanted to be here."

Despite her disappointing effort, Cohen will not panic, with qualifying counting .25 percent of the skater's mark towards their final total score.

"It's really small (percentage of mark) and I have two more performances so it shouldn't be a problem," added Cohen.

TUMBLE

Earlier, Joannie Rochette boosted Canadian medal hopes by winning her qualifying group with a graceful and stylish free skate.

Rochette, fifth at the Turin Olympics, posted a personal best mark of 117.12 points to sit well clear of Japan newcomer Yukari Nakano, one of only a handful of women's skaters to land a triple axel in competition, with 111.14.

Emily Hughes, a last-minute call-up at the Turin Olympics when Michelle Kwan ruled herself out due to injury, had a tumble on an attempted triple loop and finished third 102.72.

No Canadian woman has won a a world championship medal since Elizabeth Manley took silver in 1988 or stood top of the podium since Karen Magnussen in 1973.

But without Arakawa and Slutskaya, Rochette is suddenly well positioned to end the drought.

"I know it's possible but I'm not focussing on that (winning a medal) at all.

Hughes' world championship debut was far from spectacular but the 17-year-old displayed enough poise to be considered among the medal contenders.

"This is my first worlds and I feel like I skated a pretty good program," said Hughes, the younger sister of 2002 Olympic gold medallist Sarah Hughes.

"I really wanted to do the loop because that's the jump I missed the past few times and this is going to make me want to do it even more next time."

Suzi
03-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Pang and Tong soar to gold - China 1,2 :yeah:

China's Qing Pang and Jian Tong came from behind to claim the gold medal in the Pairs at the World Championships in Calgary on Wednesday. They beat the pre-championship favourites Dan and Hao Zhang into silver with Russia's Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov picking up the bronze medal.

While there were no spectacular spills like the one that ended their gold medal hopes at the Turin Olympics last month, Zhang and Zhang's free skate was shaky and a fall allowed their compatriots to leapfrog them to the top of the podium.

Skating last, Pang and Tong's routine also contained errors and an early fall but it was judged the best routine with a score of 189.20 thanks to some great artistry and step sequences.

After many years of trying, this represents a remarkable breakthrough for a pair whose careers seems to have been punctuated by near misses in the past, including a fourth place in Turin earlier in the year.

Zhang and Zhang, who recovered from their crash to take Olympic silver, again settled for second place with 186.42. Their chances seemed to evaporate when Hao fell near the end of the program, which had already seen a couple of smaller errors.

Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov, the 2000 world champions, skated a clean, quality program that produced a career best score of 186.22 but it was only good enough to earn the Russians third place in what could prove to be their last ever competitive appearance.

Despite the urging of a patriotic crowd, Valerie Marcoux and Graig Buntin seemed to allow the occasion to get to them a little as they followed the Russians onto the ice.

A rousing finish could do little to hide the jumping errors in the first half to their routine, and they eventually had to settle for fifth place behind the American pair of Rena Inoue and John Baldwin.

The Americans, currently the only couple in competition to produce a thrown triple-axle, produced a power-packed display of pairs skating, in possibly the skate of the night, and were able to get to within three points of the medals.

However, the damage was done in the short program which saw them leave themselves too much to do down in sixth place.

Suzi
03-23-2006, 08:02 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060323/capt.pch13303230207.world_championships_figure_ska ting_pch133.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060323/capt.pch13203230201.world_championships_figure_ska ting_pch132.jpg

Sandra
03-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I saw Brian yday :hearts: OMG :eek: Those jumps :eek: That's my Brian :rocker2:
But :sad: 3.3 is too much :scared: and now really Lambiel doesnt deserve the title again :tears:

Puschkin
03-23-2006, 09:30 AM
I saw Brian yday :hearts: OMG :eek:

Did you also notice the reaction after the marks were announced? ;)

Suzi
03-23-2006, 09:34 AM
yup :)

Sandra
03-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Did you also notice the reaction after the marks were announced? ;)
No :sad: They only showed his programme :sad: No marks or anything else :p

Puschkin
03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
No :sad: They only showed his programme :sad: No marks or anything else :p

Well, he was all triumph, as if he had won the title already, such a contrast to the Turin despair.

Sandra
03-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, he was all triumph, as if he had won the title already, such a contrast to the Turin despair.

I am so nervous :scared: I have a feeling he'll lose :sad:

Puschkin
03-23-2006, 09:53 AM

I am so nervous :scared: I have a feeling he'll lose :sad:

I am not sure if he has to win the whole thing to keep him going, just to reestablish himself as a serious contender and not the guy who becomes 6th after having been too big-mouthed before. To get rid of the late image of a non-deliverer, that is what this is all about and to grow up;)

Sandra
03-23-2006, 09:56 AM
I am not sure if he has to win the whole thing to keep him going, just to reestablish himself as a serious contender and not the guy who becomes 6th after having been too big-mouthed before. To get rid of the late image of a non-deliverer, that is what this is all about and to grow up;)
Well after that SP, even silver for me would just be a failure.

Puschkin
03-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Well after that SP, even silver for me would just be a failure.
I don't think so. This is not only about becoming first or second, this is also about reestablishing himself as a skater.

Sandra
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Allez Babou :)

Scotso
03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I would like for the podium to be Evan, Brian, and Jeffrey.

Either
1) Evan
2) Brian
3) Jeffrey

or
1) Brian
2) Evan
3) Jeffrey

But I don't think there's much chance of me getting my wish.... especially where Evan is concerned. :sad: But Oda is not a great skater and if Brian does well he'll easily pass him, and if Lambiel makes any mistakes...

Good luck Evan and Brian. :)

Sandra
03-23-2006, 11:42 AM
1. Brian
2. Evs

would be awsome :inlove: We'll see :scared: Damn I am shaking already :lol:

Sandra
03-23-2006, 11:42 AM
3.3 in too much :bigcry:

rosespower
03-23-2006, 11:45 AM
suzi congrats!

rosespower
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
allez brian!

fanancic
03-23-2006, 11:52 AM
ALLEZ BRIAN!!!! :worship:

Puschkin
03-23-2006, 11:56 AM
3.3 in too much :bigcry:

Stop whining :p and bonne chance, Monsieur Joubert! ;)

Scotso
03-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Damn I am shaking already :lol:

*slap*

Get hold of yourself, woman! ;)

rosespower
03-23-2006, 12:05 PM

Suzi
03-23-2006, 12:12 PM

Either
1) Evan
2) Brian
3) Jeffrey

or
1) Brian
2) Evan
3) Jeffrey

But I don't think there's much chance of me getting my wish.... especially where Evan is concerned. :sad: But Oda is not a great skater and if Brian does well he'll easily pass him, and if Lambiel makes any mistakes...

Good luck Evan and Brian. :)

nah buttface is another one i just cant stand :p

Puschkin
03-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Sandra
03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
*slap*

omg :haha:

Scott :hug:

justClaudia
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM

Either
1) Evan
2) Brian
3) Jeffrey

or
1) Brian
2) Evan
3) Jeffrey

But I don't think there's much chance of me getting my wish.... especially where Evan is concerned. :sad: But Oda is not a great skater and if Brian does well he'll easily pass him, and if Lambiel makes any mistakes...Good luck Evan and Brian. :)

Do you really have to wish others harm? I would like to see Brian winning not because Stephane made mistakes, but because Brian himself was the best. ;)

Anyway, hope your 'innocent' kid does well too. He deserves a good place. :D