whats 'roddicks ride'?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

whats 'roddicks ride'??

k-rod83
11-19-2004, 02:52 PM
i got my issue of tennis week in the post and on the back page there is something about Roddicks Ride....andy,mardy and the bryans a film crew on a coach going to 3 usa cities anyone got any info if a dvd is gonna be released next year of anything. thanks :wavey:

Deboogle!.
11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
in the off-season, they're doing a week of exhibitions in a few cities - charity events. it's going to be filmed for CBS (a network here in the US), I believe. Don't know when it might actually be shown, though, but it sounds like loads of fun! ;)

tangerine_dream
12-14-2004, 02:57 AM
Addendum to Deb's siggy:

I have nothing to be ashamed of. I gave it my all. I'm not going to walk out of here with my head down, that's for sure....I'll just fire Brad's ass. :yeah:

;)

I found these pics on ebay about Roddick's Ride. :)

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:04 AM
HAHAHA omg I'm adding that!!!!!!!

And.... those ads are neat, but.... what is the person selling actually?? :scratch:

superpinkone37
12-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Addendum to Deb's siggy:

I have nothing to be ashamed of. I gave it my all. I'm not going to walk out of here with my head down, that's for sure....I'll just fire Brad's ass. :yeah:

LMAO!!! :haha: :haha:

Perpetual Burn
12-14-2004, 03:50 AM
Uhh... I'm not sure what you all mean by ride.

Could someone tell me what this "ride" is/means?

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:53 AM
ride... like a bus ride....

http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=969370&postcount=1071
http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=970656&postcount=1080

RodFan08
12-14-2004, 05:43 AM
I thought it was his car, u were talking about

Peta Pan
12-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Addendum to Deb's siggy:

LMAO :haha: Well done Tangy

ataptc
12-14-2004, 02:01 PM
:lol: good one tangy! :yeah:

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 03:17 AM
I guess we can turn this into the thread for news and pics from the whole thing?

Tonight at the bball game (Yea I know it's a Getty pic but so what :ras: )

The best part is that this is the caption :haha:
--------
MINNEAPOLIS - DECEMBER 14: (L-R) Mike Bryan and Bob Bryan of the United States Davis Cup watch the Minnesota Timberwolves game against the Portland Trail Blazers on December 14, 2004 at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Timberwolves defeated the Blazers 100-89. \

Leena
12-15-2004, 03:25 AM
I was expecting "Patrick McEnroe" when I opened this thread.

I'm a poor Roddick fan. :p

snaillyyy
12-15-2004, 03:25 AM
Love the pic Deb
:haha: :haha: :bigcry: definitely see the resemblance :p :p

Nishy
12-15-2004, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the pic Deb.
:haha: I was always thinking they are look a like.

Leena
12-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Bob is rumored to be with Vera Zvonareva now.

Hopefully, Andy can pick up another blonde Russian cutie with enormous issues.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Bob? no no no he has an actress girlfriend. She was even in Spain with them. They are superdupercute

ataptc
12-15-2004, 02:28 PM
omg that caption :haha: !!

Deboogle!.
12-15-2004, 02:35 PM
yea, I saw today the caption is fixed :p

ataptc
12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
finally they realise their mistake :o

k-rod83
12-15-2004, 03:51 PM
lol....i was gonna say bobs gone hot!!

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 03:43 AM
oh man :haha:
==========

Andy Roddick is hit of Minnesota Challenge
Dean Spiros, Star Tribune
December 16, 2004 TENN1216

Somewhere between the Twin Cities and Mobile, Ala., on Wednesday night, two well-known twenty-something men stepped off a bus cursing the elements and two of their good friends.

Andy Roddick and Edina-born Mardy Fish lost a doubles match to Mike and Bob Bryan at the Minnesota Tennis Challenge on Wednesday night at Xcel Energy Center before an announced crowd of 6,777. The result meant Roddick and Fish would have to leave the warmth of their tour bus in just their underwear and shoes to enjoy 10 minutes of the night air. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

The four friends decided they needed a bet to make their exhibition match more fun for them. "When we got off the bus when we first got here we couldn't believe how cold it was," Bob Bryan said. "It was about 8 degrees, and we all just said, 'This is a nightmare.'

"We're always making bets, and it was Andy who came up with the idea. He's a silly guy."

Roddick and Fish knew one of them would look silly this morning. The loser of the singles match between them has to wear a green see-through skirt to breakfast. Roddick won the first set 6-3 in the match, which wasn't finished in time for this edition of the Star Tribune. (oh dear god Andy please win this match, I want to see Mardy in a skirt on TV next August!)

The players bought the skirt at Mall of America in the afternoon. "A neon green mini-skirt," Bob Bryan said.

Roddick, 22, was the star of Wednesday's show. Ranked No. 2 in the world behind Roger Federer, Roddick won four singles titles, but came up empty in the Grand Slams.

All four players, members of the U.S. Davis Cup team that finished second to Spain earlier this month, played to the crowd, one that was decidedly female.

Reacting to one fan with a sign asking him to marry her, Roddick said: "I'm 22, and she looks like she's about 16, so I think we should wait a while. You know, have a Thanksgiving dinner together so we can meet each others' parents." :haha: :haha: :haha:

Roddick, who has become a world pop idol, represents the current hope of men's tennis in the United States. Andre Agassi is the only other U.S. player ranked in the top 10, and, at 34, his championship days are nearing an end.

"There's always a need to grow tennis, especially in the U.S. In Europe it's second behind soccer, Here, there's too many sports. Andy is pumping a lot of enthusiasm into this game. He can draw a crowd anywhere."

Said Bob Bryan: "We're trying to see as many fans as we can and educate them if they haven't seen tennis before."

The Bryans, 26-year-old identical twins, are the top-ranked doubles team in the world. They hope another result of this tour will be to shine a brighter light on doubles tennis.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 03:52 AM
yea, for sure ;) plus, we might get to see them both since they lost the dubs match (and really, that's good that the Bryans were able to beat Andy and Mardy lmfao), and also, Andy should be beating Mardy in charity exhibitions...even if it is Mardy's hometown :p

I really cannot believe they're making us wait til August for this. :ras:

superpinkone37
12-16-2004, 04:07 AM
awww man, this all sounds sooo freaking hilarious. :haha: :haha: :haha:
but i cant believe we have to wait sooo long to see it :(

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 04:10 AM
honestly, I can't even imagine all four of those doofuses on court at once. the people there in the crowd probably laughed so much they were in pain when they left :)

ay gevalt, Andy's got a cold and only Mardy would play a charity match with a hurt wrist :o But good, he gets to wear the skirt :p This should make for fascinating television:p
-----------------

Roddick tops Fish in exhibition match

Associated Press

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Top-ranked American tennis player Andy Roddick beat Olympic silver medalist Mardy Fish on Wednesday in the 2004 Minnesota Tennis Challenge at the Xcel Energy Center.

Roddick, playing for the first time since firing coach Brad Gilbert over the weekend, was fighting a cold but still managed to pull out a 6-3, 6-3 win before 6,777 fans. He said the match was more fun than it was work.

"You're playing for fun and making a bunch of people laugh," he said. "I feel guilty because I think I actually get more kicks out of it than (the fans) do."

Before the singles match, Fish, who was born in Edina, paired with Roddick for a doubles match against twins Bob and Mike Bryan, who won 8-6 in a pro set.

Fish injured his left wrist in the first set of the singles match but played the second set.

"It hurts a little bit," he said. "It's a little early to tell how bad it is. We'll se how it feels tomorrow."

The foursome - on a four-day, three-city bus tour - have matches in Mobile, Ala., on Friday and Nashville, Tenn., on Saturday. Andre Agassi is scheduled to play with the group on Friday.

snaillyyy
12-16-2004, 04:52 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: and we have to wait so long to see this!!!

snaillyyy
12-16-2004, 05:07 AM
I wish we could (: I need to see Mardy in that skirt :haha: :bigcry:

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 05:09 AM
I wanna see Mardy in a green mini-skirt at breakfast and I REALLY want to see the two of them in the tundra of minnesota outside in the skirts holding hands ;)

snaillyyy
12-16-2004, 05:11 AM
LMFAOOOOO!!! the image is just to good :devil:

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 05:14 AM
The Minnesota paper redid the article following the match's conclusion
--------------------
Andy Roddick is the hit of Minnesota Challenge
Dean Spiros, Star Tribune
December 16, 2004 TENN1216

Somewhere between the Twin Cities and Mobile, Ala., Wednesday night, two well known twentysomething men stepped off a bus cursing the elements and two of their good friends.

Andy Roddick and Edina-born Mardy Fish lost a doubles match to Mike and Bob Bryan at the Minnesota Tennis Challenge Wednesday night at Xcel Energy Center before an announced crowd of 6,777. The result meant Roddick and Fish would have to leave the warmth of their tour bus in just their underwear and shoes to enjoy 10 minutes of the night air.

The side bet between four friends added some spice to the first night of a three-city tour created to promote tennis in the U.S.

"When we got off the bus when we first got here we couldn't believe how cold it was," Bob Bryan said. "It was about eight degrees, and we all just said, 'This is a nightmare.'

"We're always making bets, and it was Andy who came up with the idea. He's a silly guy."

But it was Fish who figured to look silly this morning after losing 6-3, 6-3 to Roddick in the singles match. Roddick and Fish agreed beforehand the loser would wear a green see-through skirt to breakfast.

The players bought the skirt at Mall of America in the afternoon. "It's a nice shade of green," Fish said. "It goes well with my eyes." :haha: :haha: :haha:

Fish injured his left wrist during the first set and came close to having to end his night early. :(

"People ask me what it's like to return one of Andy's serves," Fish said. "This is what happens, you break your wrist." :lol:

But the injury wasn't enough to spoil his night. He said he was able to spend some time with friends and relatives he hadn't seen since his family moved to Florida when he was 4 years old.

Roddick had top billing for the event, and it's doubtful few of the fans on hand -- decidely female -- went home disappointed.

Reacting to one fan with a sign asking him to marry her, Roddick said: "I'm 22, and she looks like she's about 16, so I think we should wait a while. You know, have a Thanksgiving dinner together so we can meet each others' parents."

Roddick, who has become a world pop idol, is the face of men's tennis in the U.S. Andre Agassi is the only other U.S. player ranked in the top 10, and at 34, his championship days are nearing an end.

"As tennis players, we don't have some huge marketing machine behind us like the NBA has," said Roddick, the No. 2 player in the world. "It's up to the individual players. I accept that responsibility and I like it." :)

Said Mike Bryan: "Andy gets it. There are some players who are selfish and don't want to give their time, but Andy isn't like that. :yeah: new siggy quote ;)

"Andy is pumping a lot of enthusiasm into this game. He can draw a crowd anywhere."

superpinkone37
12-16-2004, 05:26 AM
thanks for posting that :) both articles were good, but thats another great quote for your sig :)

superpinkone37
12-16-2004, 05:27 AM
I wanna see Mardy in a green mini-skirt at breakfast and I REALLY want to see the two of them in the tundra of minnesota outside in the skirts holding hands ;)

LOL!! i so NEED to see that :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 05:28 AM
oops I was wrong. it's them in their skivvies outside! HAHAHAAHAHA EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 01:54 PM
:lol: If it makes you happy ;)
===========

Tennis the winner at Xcel

BY CHRIS MATT

Pioneer Press

With the NHL season on hold, two other sports have taken center stage at the Xcel Energy Center during a time of year when hockey often rules the Minnesota sports scene.

Last Friday, Minnesota's professional lacrosse team, the Minnesota Swarm, entertained more than 14,000 fans with its up-tempo, physical style of play.

The Minnesota Tennis Challenge rolled into St. Paul on Wednesday night, promoting a sport searching for a stronger identity in the United States with the retirement of its icon, Pete Sampras.

Andy Roddick is the main tennis attraction in the States, not only for his world-record 155 mph serve but also for his camera-friendly appearance. He feels responsible for garnering support for tennis as it competes with more-often televised professional sports.

"As tennis players, we don't have some huge marketing machine behind us like the NBA or the NFL," Roddick said. "It's up to the individual players themselves, and I accept that responsibility and I like it."

Roddick is highlighting a bus tour with Edina native Mardy Fish and the world's No. 1-ranked doubles team of twins Mike and Bob Bryan. They played in front of 6,777 at Xcel.

"Tennis can always get bigger, especially in the United States," Mike Bryan said. "We have so many sports over here, so it doesn't get the TV play, but this guy Andy Roddick is really helping the game."

The featured match was between Roddick, ranked No. 2 in the world, and Fish, ranked 35th. Roddick won 6-3, 6-3, but Fish was slowed by a wrist injury. Both players entertained the crowd with extended rallies and pinpoint shots that often resulted in staring contests with the Jumbotron until instant replays were shown.

"Making a bunch of people laugh is better than hitting a forehand winner in this situation," Roddick said.

Roddick and Fish made a bet that will result in Fish donning a newly purchased green skirt when they stop for breakfast this morning in Tennessee. Their tour will head to Mobile, Ala., and Nashville, Tenn., before it concludes Saturday.

"The whole sentence behind it was 'bringing tennis to the people' and to the communities that don't get to see live tennis," Bob Bryan said. "We're going from club to mall to park to arena to radio show. We're doing everything, just packing it all into this five-day deal trying to see as many fans as we can."

In Wednesday's doubles match pairing Roddick and Fish against the Bryan brothers, the banter ruled.

The loudest cheers erupted when Fish grabbed a ball girl from the baseline and brought her out to center court. Roddick watched Fish rally with the Bryan brothers from the ball girl's chair as she stood near the net. The rally ended when the girl returned a shot right at the body of Mike Bryan, sending the crowd into an uproar.

k-rod83
12-16-2004, 05:39 PM
sounds hilarious....this better come out on dvd in the uk!!

Jennay
12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
:haha: :haha:

Mardy in a see through skirt, Andy and Mardy in their underwear out in the tundra.. fun :p

Why do we have to wait till August? :ras:

Deboogle!.
12-17-2004, 01:53 PM
whole bunch of news...

first a little blurb from the St. Paul paper :) And the rest is from the Tennessee papers

"Young spectators at the Xcel Energy Center to see Andy Roddick play tennis Wednesday night greatly appreciated the effort he made to give as many autographs as time allowed." :yeah:

===========================
Roddick trip to Nashville part of a TV special

By JOHN GLENNON
Staff Writer

Based on Andy Roddick's description of the three-city, five-day exhibition tour that concludes tomorrow at Gaylord Entertainment Center, it might be a surprise if he can still stand up, let alone deliver his punishing brand of tennis.

Roddick, along with Davis Cup teammates Mardy Fish and Bob and Mike Bryan, are being filmed during the cross-country, luxury-bus journey as part of a behind-the-scenes television special that will air prior to the U.S. Open next summer.

''It's kind of a Real World meets Andy Roddick meets frat house holiday, all on a really cool bus,'' Roddick said just before the trip began this week. ''Nothing has ever been done like this before in tennis. It's cool because a lot of people have preconceived notions about our sport and the players, but we're trying to change all that.''

One could argue that Roddick has been altering the perception that tennis players are as bland as starched white shorts.

How many other tennis players, after all, have had enough charisma to host Saturday Night Live, grace the pages of Vogue and earn interviews with Sir Elton John?

How many other tennis players have been named People magazine's sexiest athlete, or prompted the entire Australian women's water polo team to clamor for a single kiss?

In a sport crying out for personalities, Roddick, the world's second-ranked player, has proven more than eager to answer the call.

''Quite honestly, he's been a breath of fresh air,'' said Patrick McEnroe, captain of the U.S. Davis Cup team and one of the sport's leading TV analysts. ''He likes the big moment and he likes the big stage. He's a straight shooter, he's funny and he takes the game seriously, but not too seriously. He just gets it, in terms of the bigger picture.''

Roddick should have the opportunity to display some of that flair tomorrow, when he battles Fish in a three-set exhibition. The opening doubles match will feature the Bryan twins against Nashville's Brian Baker and former Vanderbilt star Bobby Reynolds.

''I think with an exhibition, you can have a little more interaction with the crowd than normal,'' Roddick said. ''You can show your personality a little bit more and that's something I look forward to.''

Roddick, 22, is smart enough to realize, however, that most athletes aren't nearly as interesting to the public when they're not winning on a regular basis.

His popularity rose with his victory totals in 2003, when Roddick captured the U.S. Open and earned his first No. 1 ranking. They were tough standards to set, which is why Roddick was slightly disappointed in his performance this year.

All he did was win four singles tournaments, reach the Wimbledon final, post a 74-18 singles record and earn more than $2.5 million in prize money, but there were some drawbacks.

Roddick was unable to repeat his Grand Slam win, and he slipped to second in the world behind Switzerland's Roger Federer.

''I'd say it was about as good a year as you can have without being great,'' Roddick said. ''But I'd raised the bar pretty high the previous year, so I just need to take all the positive and keep on working into 2005.''

Roddick faces quite a challenge in overtaking Federer, who beat Roddick in all three meetings last year, owns an 8-1 record against the American and captured three of the four Grand Slam tournaments in 2004.

''He really has no weaknesses because he does everything so well,'' Roddick said. ''And his confidence is so high that he doesn't think he should be losing at all. It'll take me or someone else to beat him once or twice just to make him think a little bit, and maybe have a few doubts.''

To that end, some believe Roddick must add some new twists to his game of power serves and power forehands.

''I think he's got to improve his transition game and his net game because he doesn't attack well enough,'' said Vanderbilt men's tennis coach Ken Flach, a former top-ranked doubles player on the pro circuit.

''I think he should be trying more chipping and charging. It might mean some losses in the short run, but I think it would eventually pay off when he's more comfortable at the net, with his touch and volleys.''

Roddick will also try to take the U.S. Davis Cup squad to the next level in 2005, after the team fell to Spain in the finals earlier this month. He posted a 6-0 singles mark in Davis Cup matches before the final, but lost twice against Spain — to 18-year-old Rafael Nadal and to veteran clay-court specialist Carlos Moya.

''Just playing in front of 27,000 fans is one thing, but playing in front of 27,000 Spanish fans is entirely different,'' Roddick said. ''They were crazy and they were letting me have it. I felt like I played a couple of strong matches and had my chances, but just didn't get it done.''

In a few weeks, Roddick will start gearing up for the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam event of 2005. But as for now, he and his tennis buddies sound like they're enjoying themselves during the exhibition tour.

''It's kind of cool and it's kind of weird, I guess,'' Roddick said. ''But these kind of things really have to be done. I'm up for anything that creates more interest in tennis and gets more people to watch.''

rue
12-17-2004, 05:43 PM
interesting article there.

star
12-17-2004, 05:45 PM
"Ken Flach, a former top-ranked doubles player on the pro circuit.'

That's a bit of an understatement. :)

Deboogle!.
12-17-2004, 08:00 PM
*curses TTC under her breath*

Agassi, Roddick Meet In Mobile Tonight

By Tennis Week
12/17/2004

Grand Slam champions Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi will face off in a singles showdown and Tennis Masters Cup champions Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan will take on Agassi and Roddick in doubles at the Rock-n-Racquets extravaganza in Mobile, Alabama tonight.

"Inside Tennis with The Koz", the 30-minute magazine talk show aired on The Tennis Channel, will be on hand taping the event for future airing on The Tennis Channel.

The fund-raising exhibition will be played to music to provide fans with the ultimate sports/entertainment experience. Bragging rights are at stake in tonight's singles showdown as Agassi and Roddick, friends and occasional practice partners, have split their two prior meetings in this exhibition format.

"I'm excited to bring Rock-N-Racquets to Alabama," Roddick said. "I'm always pumped to bring tennis to areas that don't currently have a tournament. I hope my enthusiasm for tennis, along with Andre, the Bryans and the rest of our program, provides the ultimate fan experience."

Rock-n-Racquets benefits The Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation and The Andy Roddick Foundation.

Olympic Silver medallist and life-long Roddick buddy Mardy Fish and 2005 Miss America Deidre Downs will add to the evening’s festivities.

The Mobile Rock-n- Racquets segment, which will be hosted by 2000 USTA Broadcast award winner, Dave "Koz" Kozlowski, will air in January.

"This kid had the charisma of a seasoned entertainer when he was a schoolboy," said The Koz, who was one of the first American broadcasters to extensively interview Roddick when he was 17. "When it comes to amusing a tennis crowd, Andy is second-to-none."

Please visit The Tennis Channel web site for air dates and times.

Leena
12-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Mobile. Eww.

snaillyyy
12-17-2004, 08:41 PM
:mad: to TTC, I understand that on Dec 22nd (5pm EST) they are also airing highlights of Brian Vahaly's Charity Event (sorry if someone already posted this )

superpinkone37
12-17-2004, 10:46 PM
damn TTC :(

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 02:29 AM
looks like fun :)

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/1942image.jpg

heya
12-18-2004, 02:40 AM
''I'd say it was about as good a year as you can have without being great,'' Roddick said. ''But I'd raised the bar pretty high the previous year, so I just need to take all the positive and keep on working into 2005.''
It's pretty high quality tennis, matchpoints he saved and all.:bolt::o
Oh, allegedly, he threw the kitchen sink at Wimbledon.
Remember 0-5, 2nd set and losing a 4-2 lead.
applaud opponents and shake the net.:scared:

He posted a 6-0 singles mark in Davis Cup matches before the final, but lost twice against Spain — to 18-year-old Rafael Nadal and to veteran clay-court specialist Carlos Moya.
IGNORANT TENNIS WRITER.
Oh, so when Andy struggled on hardcourt vs. Moya, does that mean that Andy's a grass specialist??

''Just playing in front of 27,000 fans is one thing, but playing in front of 27,000 Spanish fans is entirely different,'' Roddick said. ''They were crazy and they were letting me have it. I felt like I played a couple of strong matches and had my chances, but just didn't get it done.''
:tape:
Sure, he tried his freaking best, as Mal Washington claimed.
Of course, pigs can fly too.

In a few weeks, Roddick will start gearing up for the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam event of 2005. But as for now, he and his tennis buddies sound like they're enjoying themselves during the exhibition tour. :sad:

k-rod83
12-18-2004, 10:36 AM
i really feel next year is make or break for andy.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Making a racket

Exhibitions featuring Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick draw nearly 9,000 fans to Mitchell Center

Saturday, December 18, 2004
By RANDY KENNEDY
Sports Editor

Almost 9,000 tennis fans paid an average of $57 a ticket to see U.S. Open champions Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi in a tennis exhibition Friday night at the Mitchell Center on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

Roddick, Agassi and the world's No. 1 doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan put on a serious display of tennis talent. But the not-so-serious tennis drew some of the most spirited crowd responses at the Rock-N-Racquets event.

Mobile junior tennis stars Ebie Wilson, 13, and Mary Angela Martin, 12, teamed with Agassi and Roddick in the night's first match. When Wilson -- the state's No. 1-ranked player in her age division -- finished off a game with a forehand volley for a winner past Agassi, Roddick joked, "She definitely volleys better than I do." When the crowd laughed, Roddick quickly added, "Hey, that's not funny." :haha:

Team Roddick eventually won the light-hearted portion of the program before the Bryan brothers, identical twins who played at Stanford and won seven titles last season, showed why they are the world's dominant doubles team by beating Agassi and Roddick 8-5.

In the night's feature match, Roddick edged Agassi in two tight tiebreakers, winning 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4).

"I wish everyone could experience the thrill of playing against their hero," Roddick said afterward. "I normally don't come out on top in these things against Andre, so this is special."

Agassi told the crowd following the match that the enthusiastic reception made the night a success.

"It was such a treat to come here to Mobile and play," Agassi said.

The exhibition followed a successful junior clinic Friday afternoon in which 450 young players were entertained by Roddick, the Bryan brothers and Olympic silver medalist Mardy Fish.

Murphy High School star Mackenzie White was the only player to successfully return Roddick's serve, although it wasn't quite as fast as the 143 mph serve he unleashed against Agassi Friday night.

"I was just bracing for the worse," White said. "I figured it was probably going to be really hard."

Jennay
12-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Mobile junior tennis stars Ebie Wilson, 13, and Mary Angela Martin, 12, teamed with Agassi and Roddick in the night's first match. When Wilson -- the state's No. 1-ranked player in her age division -- finished off a game with a forehand volley for a winner past Agassi, Roddick joked, "She definitely volleys better than I do." When the crowd laughed, Roddick quickly added, "Hey, that's not funny." :haha:
:lol:

superpinkone37
12-18-2004, 05:15 PM
:haha:

snaillyyy
12-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Form charity event in Minnesota :)

superpinkone37
12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
nice deer in the headlights shot from andy :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Yea i just saw that pic at the site - like why does he have four different drinks in front of him :haha:

here's the article
---------------
Minnesota given a taste of the pro tennis world
By RENEE RICHARDSON
Senior Reporter
ST. PAUL -- For sports fans sick of surly athletes, a breath of fresh air blew through Minnesota Wednesday.

The breeze was generated in part by the 155-mph serve of America's top tennis player Andy Roddick. The 22-year-old, ranked second in the world behind Swiss star Roger Federer, understands his role as ambassador of the sport in the United States.

He played in the Minnesota Tennis Challenge at the Xcel Energy Center with 2004 Olympic silver medalist Mardy Fish and the No. 1-ranked doubles team of Mike and Bob Bryan.

Fighting a cold and cough, Roddick played through a doubles and singles match. The speed of the game, Roddick's monstrous serve and massive forehand, the sustained volleys at the net during the doubles match were all impressive. But the humor may have been the most endearing.

During the doubles match, Roddick took a seat in the audience and gave his racket to a ball girl. Fish led her to the net where she remained shocked and motionless before finally lifting the racket in front of her. The Bryan brothers sent a smiling Fish rocketing across the court, tracking down balls, before a well-placed soft shot hit the girl's racket and landed between the Bryans to win the point.

The crowd erupted in cheers. Fish surrounded her in a bear-hug and lifted her off the court.

After the match, Roddick said he enjoyed making the people laugh and may have had more fun with it than the fans. Listening to the courtside laughter that drew people in, I'm not so sure.

The tennis playing foursome, who make up the U.S. Davis Cup Team were starting their "My Ride" bus tour in St. Paul.

Roddick said the whole idea behind the bus tour was to take live professional tennis matches to areas of the country where there is often little opportunity to see them.

"As tennis players we don't have some huge marketing machine behind us like the NBA has," Roddick said. "It's up to the individual players. I accept that responsibility and I like it."

He said the long tennis season, which ran from Jan. 1 to Dec. 5 for Roddick this year, does not leave much time for clever marketing ideas.

But the bus ride is one of them.

They left after the Minnesota Tennis Challenge for an all-night bus ride to Memphis, Tenn., a stop in Mobile, Ala., and finally ending the tour in Nashville, Tenn. Along the way they are being taped for a reality-TV special to air next summer.

"This is the city I was looking forward to the most, being from here," Fish said of St. Paul. While at the Mall of America, Fish went to a store and loaded up on Twins caps.

Side bets spiced up the game for the players. During the singles match Fish hit two lets in a row. That's here a serve touches the net but lands in the right service court. Roddick bet him $20 he couldn't do it a third time. He didn't.

Fish injured his left wrist trying to return Roddick's serve. He lost in two sets to Roddick but finished the match. Fish said his wrist injury may help him gain mercy as he lost a bet by losing the match and was expected to wear a green skirt to a breakfast of waffles the following morning. Roddick did not appear so sure mercy was in the offing.

The brisk weather was a bit of an awakening for the Bryans of California. But Fish, who was born in Edina, was fine with the temperature.

"It was great weather," said Fish, who lives in Tampa, Fla. "I may want to move back."

Officials announced 6,777 people attended Wednesday's event.

After the match, with his wrist encased in ice, Fish was outside the player's locker room meeting family members still in Minnesota, along with other supporters, and signing T-shirts. As Roddick left the court he patiently signed autographs on hats, paper, shirts and giant tennis balls. He paused for a photograph with a fan, then exited through the darkened tunnel.

When he walked by, my tongue was suddenly stapled to the roof of my mouth.

And so Andy if you have a service that clips news for you here is what I would have said:

"After watching you for years on television, it was great to see you play tennis live. Thanks for coming to Minnesota. Good luck next season." (awwwwwww!)

And, if you come to Minnesota again, maybe next time I'll be able to tell you that out loud.

andyroxmysox12191
12-18-2004, 09:01 PM
:haha: :rolls: Sounds like a lot of fun....can't wait to see it even though it's gonna show in August? :ras:
Thanks for all the articles deb! I'd use some quotes for my sig but I wanna keep lyrics right now :lol: :kiss:

superpinkone37
12-18-2004, 09:04 PM
:haha: :rolls: Sounds like a lot of fun....can't wait to see it even though it's gonna show in August? :ras:
Thanks for all the articles deb! I'd use some quotes for my sig but I wanna keep lyrics right now :lol: :kiss:

yeah, it sounded like tons of fun :lol: thanks for the article :kiss:
nice green day lyrics mani :yeah:

andyroxmysox12191
12-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah I'm just a lazy bum and I'm not the type of person who changes their icon/av every two minutes (; :lol:

no I'm just kidding manda....I just love my Green Day and have since the 1st grade :lol: So I'm keeping it! (; Did I tell you guys I wrote Greeday on my engineering design project and now it's engraved on my glass so I can't change it? :rolls: It's sandblasted in there so I can't do anything lmfao
Thanks danielle :kiss: I was gonna use the Good Riddance(Time of Your Life) [that song made me fall in love with Green Day] but I'm keeping this right now lol

andyroxmysox12191
12-18-2004, 09:24 PM
:lol: I don't get what the countdown is for lol
Why aren't you on MSN??!?!?!? :fiery: :fiery:

superpinkone37
12-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Yeah I'm just a lazy bum and I'm not the type of person who changes their icon/av every two minutes (; :lol:

no I'm just kidding manda....I just love my Green Day and have since the 1st grade :lol: So I'm keeping it! (; Did I tell you guys I wrote Greeday on my engineering design project and now it's engraved on my glass so I can't change it? :rolls: It's sandblasted in there so I can't do anything lmfao
Thanks danielle :kiss: I was gonna use the Good Riddance(Time of Your Life) [that song made me fall in love with Green Day] but I'm keeping this right now lol

i used to like greenday a lot when i was younger and i like them a lot now with all their new stuff. today on the radio they had this "block bands" thing and so they played greendaysongs for like 20 minutes straight :)

andyroxmysox12191
12-18-2004, 09:44 PM
You BETTER BE ON TONIGHT MISS AMANDA LEIGH DAVIS! :lol:

I wish my radio would do that :sad: I have all their cds though minus American Idiot on my computer cause my brother downloaded them for me. I'm getting the AI one when he gets home on the *insert big voice here* 21st!!!!!!! *end of big voice*

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Pics!

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/140_FD2C7182.jpg

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/140_FD2C7132.jpg

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/140_FD2C7016.jpg

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/140_C03A8255.jpg

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/140_C03A8230.jpg

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/140_C03A8223.jpg

Havok
12-19-2004, 03:33 AM
Those glasses.:retard: Someone needs to overlook what this guy purchases sometimes.

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 03:40 AM
yea seriously. the saddest part is that he's gonna be on tv wearing them :retard: :smash:

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 06:32 AM
aww man, not the girly man glasss!! they are better than the red bug eye ones though lol

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 07:28 AM
I can't sleep :(
=============
http://www.tennessean.com/sports/localsports/archives/04/12/63067252.jpg

Roddick likes Davis Cup future

By JOHN GLENNON
Staff Writer

The festive crowd in the Gaylord Entertainment Center last night witnessed not only an evening of competitive tennis, but also the core of a young U.S. Davis Cup team that promises to contend for several years.

Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish and the Bryan brothers — Bob and Mike — played relaxed exhibitions in front of an audience of 5,380. Roddick downed Fish 6-3, 7-6 and the Bryan brothers topped local favorites Brian Baker and Bobby Reynolds 8-5.

''I like exhibitions like this because it's not life or death out there,'' Roddick said. ''You get a lot of crowd interaction, and I think Mardy and I like it even more than the fans.''

The experience was a far cry from the atmosphere the group faced earlier this month, when the U.S. took on host Spain and a hostile crowd of 27,000 — in the Davis Cup final.

In that showdown, the Spaniards, playing on their familiar slow clay surface, beat Roddick twice and downed the Americans 3-2.

''It was one of the most unbelievable atmospheres in the history of tennis,'' Mike Bryan said. ''The crowd was cheering against us in between our first and second serves. It's crazy on the road, but that's the way it's supposed to be in Davis Cup.''

The Americans left Spain disappointed, but feeling good about their chances for capturing the country's first Davis Cup title since 1995.

After all, the 22-year-old Roddick is ranked second in the world, the 23-year-old Fish is ranked 35th, and the 26-year-old Bryans are the second-ranked doubles team in the world.

''We've got one of the best singles players in the world and one of the best doubles teams in the world,'' Fish said. ''I'm pretty happy about that. We all get along great.''

In addition, winning the Davis Cup is one of the biggest goals for Roddick, who's already captured a Grand Slam title and earned the world's No. 1 ranking.

''It's right up there with winning the Slams,'' Roddick said. ''It's the biggest tennis event in the world. I'd love to win it with this group of guys because we're so close.''

Roddick and Fish played to the crowd last night, even pulling a couple of teenage boys from the stands to play an impromptu point during the second-set tiebreaker. The loser had to take off his shirt before walking back to his seat.

In the doubles contest, there was no question which team had the homecourt advantage, but it would take more than that for Baker and Reynolds to defeat the Bryan brothers.

''Those guys pick apart the top 10 teams in the world, so there's definitely no shame in losing to them,'' said Reynolds, who led Vanderbilt to the NCAA team final in 2003 before turning pro.

''It seems like every ball that gets hit, they know exactly where the other guy is on the court. But it was still a lot of fun.''

Reynolds and Baker, a Nashville native and Hillwood High graduate, heard plenty of ''Go Nashville!'' and ''Go Commodores!'' cries from the audience, and they treated the crowd to a good match.

When Baker held serve in Game 11, he helped the local favorites cut the lead of the Bryan brothers to 6-5.

But Mike Bryan smacked three service winners to help give the Bryans a 7-5 advantage, and the Bryans then broke Reynolds' serve to capture the match.

''This was a great opportunity for Bobby and I,'' Baker said. ''Bobby and I don't play together much, so it's a little more difficult for us to find our rhythm. They hit a lot of shots down the middle on us, and that usually doesn't happen when you play together a lot.''

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 07:30 AM
I can't sleep :(

awwwww
i cant sleep either lol

thanks for the article btw :kiss:

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 07:46 AM
lol amanda (:

by the way, i cant rep you back yet cuz im on the 24 hour ban.... but i LOVE the av you made for me, so of course i still have it, especially cuz its with the picture i like (: and um, i dont really have any suggestions for you but i love all your av's cuz of your silly sense of humor lol

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 08:17 AM
i'm glad you like it so much, and you can keep using it forever if you'd like! (:

maybe i will! (: lol

and why are you up so late miss amanda? (:

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 08:27 AM
LOL!! i stay up late when i dont have school, but my sleeping pattern is nothing like yours lol

(: (hehe i just love that backwards smiley, thanks to you, lol)

Deboogle!.
12-19-2004, 02:51 PM
lol so someone wrote into the Mobile paper about the problems at the thing in Mobile
------
A shoddy performance on our end :

The Roddick-Agassi match was an absolute plum for Mobile to get. However, it was marked by unruly and unmannerly people. There was no crowd control. The ball boys did not have a clue what to do, resulting in Agassi and Roddick passing the ball from one end of the court to the other. As usual, Mobile could not tie up the loose ends and do the fine details. We came off looking like a laughingstock.

star
12-19-2004, 03:06 PM
LOL!! i stay up late when i dont have school, but my sleeping pattern is nothing like yours lol

(: (hehe i just love that backwards smiley, thanks to you, lol)

:haha: :haha: I misread "partner" for "pattern"

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 05:19 PM
:haha: :haha: I misread "partner" for "pattern"

LMAO!!! :haha:

superpinkone37
12-19-2004, 07:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jennay
12-19-2004, 07:22 PM
i don't know, my stuffed animal might be just like danielle's sleeping partner, you never know... (:
That means her partner would just lay there.
Sucks for Danielle :sad: :hug:

:lol: ;)

andyroxmysox12191
12-19-2004, 11:24 PM
:lol:
those glasses *blee* thanks for the pics though :kiss:

Deboogle!.
12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
“My Ride” Tour Wrapped Up
By Sarah Alvanipour
2004-12-22
It was a road trip that spanned three states in four days as Andy teamed up with his Davis Cup pals Mardy Fish and the Bryans brothers to headline a cross-country tennis exhibition tour.

"I have always talked to my friends about taking a road trip around the country and just taking time to really get to know people who might not follow tennis or who may never have been to a professional tennis match," Andy said and his wish came true.

The tour kicked off in Minnesota, where Andy played a best of three set match against Mardy, winning 6-3, 6-3. Next up was a legend Andre Agassi, who also teamed up with Andy for Rock-n-Racquets in its inaugural year in Miami. This time the meeting place was Mobile, Alabama and the pressure was on both players to get the best of the other as they had split their two prior meetings in exhibition format.

Andy went on to beat Andre 7-6, 7-6 in Mobile in the third annual Rock-n-Racquets, an event that benefits both players’ charities.

The following night, the stage was set at the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville, Tennessee, where Andy was to take on Mardy once again as the Bryans teamed up to play against locals Brian Baker and Bobby Reynolds.

Andy made it three for three on Saturday night, defeating Mardy 6-3, 7-6 to cap off a great week of tennis. Hopefully, he can carry the winning streak onto the 2005 season.

The Bryans were also successful, defeating the hometown heroes.

Afterwards, everyone took some well-deserved rest and recognition at a tour wrap-up party before heading their separate ways.

If you missed any of the action of “My Ride,” don’t be disappointed. A show about the tour has been produced featuring highlights from the events and will be aired in August 2005, just prior to the US Open.

superpinkone37
12-23-2004, 03:10 AM
thanks Deb :kiss:

heya
12-25-2004, 01:22 AM
Roddick said the whole idea behind the bus tour was to take live professional tennis matches to areas of the country where there is often little opportunity to see them. “As tennis players we don’t have some huge marketing machine behind us like the NBA has,” Roddick said. “It’s up to the individual players. I accept that responsibility and I like it.” renee.richardson@brainerddispatch.com.

Andy/Mardy/Bryans can run a marathon for tennis, but the U.S.
won't show much live tennis and it won't hire honest commentators who don't manipulate players like Andy.
(Don't even mention TTC. :shout:. Do we need to advertise this channel?)
ESPN - Cancelled Andy's DC match vs. Sweden.
I'm sure the kids love ESPN's billiards, poker & golf...:rolleyes:
CBS - edited the Indianapolis match
NBC - there were the same matches shown on ESPN simultaneously

Foxsportsnet has tons of NBA, soccer & golf.
Now, there are Halle final, Newport, Japan Open final & challengers.
No more coverage from Houston clay event -semi/final and Queen's Club.

Deboogle!.
12-25-2004, 01:26 AM
Andy/Mardy/Bryans can run a marathon for tennis, but the U.S.
won't show much live tennis and it won't hire honest commentators who don't manipulate players like Andy.
(Don't even mention TTC. :shout:. Do we need to advertise this channel?)
ESPN - Cancelled Andy's DC match vs. Sweden.
I'm sure the kids love ESPN's billiards, poker & golf...:rolleyes:
CBS - edited the Indianapolis match
NBC - there were the same matches shown on ESPN simultaneously

Foxsportsnet has tons of NBA, soccer & golf.
Now, there are Halle final, Newport, Japan Open final & challengers.
No more coverage from Houston clay event -semi/final and Queen's Club.

:worship: :worship:

euroka1
12-25-2004, 09:06 AM
When I looked at the roddick web site and saw the picture of the bus, I said to myself. "This isn't about tennis : This is just about Andy Roddick". Maybe it is this emphasis on superstar personality that is causing people (and sports networks) tp become bored with the game.

Deboogle!.
12-25-2004, 01:27 PM
ah, another hater coming in.... on Christmas no less. Can't you just be nice and cheery for ONE day? byebye now :wavey:

heya
12-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Yep, why cares about the fans and charity, Andy? :ignore:
According to the brilliant, open-minded media and tennis fans, Mr. Personality ARod's popularity is unexplainable.
Who are these international fans...preteens, women & men?
They should be taught a lesson. :aplot:

Don't lower REAL tennis superstars to Andy's level!!! :bolt: :devil:
Now, run off to Tennishack's Obsession-Free Duck Nation.