2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

lalaland
12-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Happy New Year to everyone!

Here we go again. 2013 Season begins...This year a new adventure for Gilles as he's going solo. Hopefully, he's healthy and ready. I'm preparing for another roller coaster ride as long as the ride isn't too bumpy for the stomach ;).

First stop, Brisbane.

(1) Andy Murray (GBR) vs Bye
Tatsuma Ito (JPN) vs Qualifier
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs (WC) Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
(8) Martin Klizan (SVK) vs Denis Istomin (UZB)

(4) Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) vs Bye
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs Qualifier
(5) Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs Marinko Matosevic (AUS)

(6) Florian Mayer (GER) vs Santiago Giraldo (COL)
(WC) Benjamin Mitchell (AUS) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Qualifier vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
(3) Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Bye

(7) Jurgen Melzer (AUT) vs Qualifier
(WC) Matthew Ebden (AUS) vs David Goffin (BEL)
Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs Brian Baker (USA)
(2) Milos Raonic (CAN) vs Bye

Allez Gilles!

Kezzi
12-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Allez Gilou! :cheerleader:

Gillouthe best
12-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Allez Gilles :yeah: ! Not a bad draw IMO, Flo Mayer could be a nightmare for Gilles on the QF's, hope Giraldo or Baghdatis takes him out, and I think Gilles can beat Raonic if he plays his best. One match at a time though, Falla can be dangerous when on.

mike s.
12-30-2012, 01:31 AM
Allez Gilles, do your best!

sammy01
12-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Please be all clean shaven and sexy to start the new year Gilles <3

misty1
12-31-2012, 09:03 PM
well he should definately be able to beat levine/falla and make the QF. It kind of sucks because he got stuck in the loaded quarter with 4 of the title contenders all in there.

good luck to him

Gillouthe best
01-01-2013, 10:29 AM
It will be Falla tomorrow on court 1.

His schedule:

11:00 am.

Hantuchova/ Srebotnik vs Pavlyuchenkova/Safarova
Stephens vs Arvidsson
Simon vs Falla

Allez Gilles against Falla! I remember he had a bit of a tough time vs him on Cincy 09', hope he wins!

GilleSimonAddict
01-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Gilles, the number 3 seed at the tournament and semifinalist there from last year, yeah, let's put him on court 1. Just ridiculous. Well, so much for being able to watch his first match of the new year I guess.:rolleyes:

GilleSimonAddict
01-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Well I guess there is a stream for Court 1 after all, but it is pretty bad. A fixed camera on only one side of the court with no following of the players and horrible resolution. Gilles won the first set 7-6 and is up a break in the 2nd set. Hope he can close it out in straight sets.

lalaland
01-02-2013, 06:16 AM
He won 7-6 7-6, not too impressive, felt like he's still trying to get back to game form, and he DF on MP :rolleyes:. But then, he won 2 TBs, that I consider a good start for the year :yeah:. Good luck next round. Allez.

sammy01
01-02-2013, 07:31 AM
I'll take it. 1st match is never easy, so to win in straights but to be pushed also is ideal. Nice to start off with a qtr final in 1st tournament of the year also.

falla taking a medical time out in the 2nd set tie break was pretty bad.

Gillouthe best
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Nice win for Gilles :yeah: , he didn't crumbled under pressure on TB's and he was also good on BP's, 3/4 converted and 6/9 saved.

mike s.
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Congrats Gilles, didn't see it but it's good to get a straight sets win and to win two tiebreaks. I think Baghdatis is next, would be nice to get a semi in the first tournament back.

misty1
01-02-2013, 01:01 PM
well given the fact that he struggled so badly with tiebreaks last year its nice to see him win 2 this year

keep going gillou:)

Gillouthe best
01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Gilles up tomorrow on Pat Rafter Arena ( CC) vs Baggy.

Schedule:
11:30 am. - Simon vs Baghdatis

Allez Gilles against Baggy! He better watch out, H2H is 2-2 and Baggy usually looks really good in Oz, hope he can win!

GilleSimonAddict
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I hope he can win too because the draw has really opened up for him now since the high seed in his section Raonic was knocked out and if he can get past Baggy, he has an 4-0 record against Dimitrov and a 4-2 record against Meltzer of which he has won the last three of their encounters so he has a real opportunity to at least make the finals.

Problem is, Murray or Dolgo will probably be waiting for him and we all know his record against them. Still, a final is better than stopping at the semifinals and will give him some points to start the season off.

GilleSimonAddict
01-04-2013, 02:05 AM
Well, so much for Gilles possibly reaching the final. He decided to play like complete garbage today against Baggy. No strategy whatsoever. Just hitting the ball from way behind the baseline right back to the center of the court for Baggy to unload on. He's also starting to double fault more i've noticed as well which just means more free points for his opponents in addition to the points they already get from the easy unforced errors he makes during the rallies.

So, a mediocre start to the new year and not very encouraging based on these first two matches.

mike s.
01-04-2013, 02:05 AM
Well, he lost 6-3, 6-4. Baghdatis was really tough today. Hopefully he can keep improving and be in top form for the Australian.

mike s.
01-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Well, so much for Gilles possibly reaching the final. He decided to play like complete garbage today against Baggy. No strategy whatsoever. Just hitting the ball from way behind the baseline right back to the center of the court for Baggy to unload on. So, a mediocre start to the new year and not very encouraging based on these first two matches.

I think he expected Baghdatis to make more errors than he did but yeah there really wasn't any strategy.

lalaland
01-04-2013, 03:15 AM
So...he lost.

It's still new year so I'm feeling positive, hence I'm going to offer some positives, there's not many but his first serve is pretty big when it's not fault, 190ish means his shoulder is feeling good. While still working his way in, at least the intensity is a little higher than last match. So he's getting there, I hope...He's never someone that jumps out of the gate, so gives him more time to get better. Although I like these Aussie Series very much, the big goal is to peak at Aussie Open, just hoping that he'll manage that this year. Good luck in Sydney.

Gillouthe best
01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Sad for his loss, but somehow expected after seeing how well Baggy had played vs Mayer. It's good that he's also playing Sydney, that will give him more match practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

lalaland
01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Rumors said Tsonga, Gasquet both pulled out of Sydney, and Isner possibly will follow too, if that's the case, Gilles will be #1 seed in Sydney. Not sure if that's good thing or not, I was counting on him not having to play the weekend in Sydney (don't think he can beat Tsonga/Gasquet :p). I want him fresh for AO. But I also do not want him to being no good and loses to some lower ranks. So if he suddenly becomes #1 seed, then there's a dilemmma here. :o haha I think too much.

Anyway, the draw this evening, we'll see who's still playing. My hope for him is still to peak at AO, whatever needs to happen in Sydney for him to get there, I hope it will happen. Allez Gilles.

lalaland
01-05-2013, 02:18 AM
Draw is out, Gilles is #2 seed.

Granollers - Ebden
Dimitrov - Fognini
Robredo - Millman
Seppi - Bye

F. Mayer - Q
Tomic - Matosevic
Nieminen - Q
Simon - Bye

Complete draw: http://www.apiainternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/MDS1.pdf

Well, like I said, whatever happens in Sydney, just hope it will work out just fine towards Melbourne. Allez Gilles

BTW, he's in the double draw too, teamed with Roger-Vasselin, unfortunately, their first round is against 2nd seed Paes/Stepanek. Oh well, good luck anyway.

soulage
01-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Today in l'equipe the lonely life

lalaland
01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks Soulage, for the article.

mike s.
01-06-2013, 01:48 AM
He can win Sydney if he plays well but I'm not confident in his form right now. Hopefully he gets some more matches and rounds into form.

lalaland
01-08-2013, 03:53 AM
Gilles and ERV just lost their double match, 10-5 in the Super TB. Oh well, it's not bad against the 2nd seeded team.
Meanwhile, his next single opponent Nieminen just won his match by a score of 6-0 6-1, in 41 mins. Ummm, I'm worry. Hopefully, Gilles can win. Allez Gilles.

Gillouthe best
01-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Nieminen is the defending champion, so Gillles better watch out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

GilleSimonAddict
01-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Meanwhile, his next single opponent Nieminen just won his match by a score of 6-0 6-1, in 41 mins. Ummm, I'm worry. Hopefully, Gilles can win. Allez Gilles.

Yeah, but let's be honest, that was against a qualifier. Gilles is the 2nd seed here and far from a qualifier. I'd like to think he will put up a little bit more of a fight than Bjorn Phau was able to.;)

lalaland
01-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Of course I'm not comparing Gilles to Bjorn, so I wasn't worried that Gilles will get bagel&sticked, I worry that he won't win. Jarkko is no mug, he can be quite great when he's on. The last time I watched these 2 played, was unfortunately that year when Gilles played Jarkko in Hamburg in 2010. He was up 2 breaks in 3rd set and still lost that match (and that's against a choker). Gilles did beat Jarkko the next year in Hamburg but unfortunately i didn't get to see that, so that previous disaster still stuck in my mind. That along is enough to make me worry. Head to Head is 2-2. Jarkko is probably in good form, Gilles hasn't shown that he is in any form. Not trying to sell Gillou short, but he's hardly too much of a favorite in my eyes in this match up.

GilleSimonAddict
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
I think Gilles is going to come good tomorrow. I don't know. I just think that if Gilles is on and Jarkko is on, Gilles is still the better player. Jarrko's serve isn't huge so he won't blow Gilles off the court with that and he's basically like Gilles in being more of a grinder from the baseline and Gilles moves better than him so I think unless Gilles plays like utter garbage like he did against Baggy tomorrow, he should come away with the W.

lalaland
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Well, he is a better player than Jarkko, one doesn't need to look further than the ranking to figure that out. The question mark that I have is whether Gilles will be "on". Jarkko's previous match indicated that he's in good form (granted, Phau was probably really bad), Gilles' last match indicated that he's not in good form. Hence, my concern.

But anyway, they'll be on court in another 9 hrs, we'll find out if Gilles made good use of past few days to up his form enough to fend of the defending champ. Allez Gilles.

mike s.
01-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Gilles withdrew with a neck injury :sad:. What a disastrous start to this season, why is he never healthy?

GilleSimonAddict
01-09-2013, 01:37 AM
:shrug:Well, so much for positive thinking. I tried with the Jarkko match but now this? So I guess it's back on the negative bandwagon for me.:unsure:

lalaland
01-09-2013, 02:00 AM
:sad: so much for being healthy for the new season, that doesn't last long does it?!$%@. Neck injury and not enough matches to get in form, this doesn't bode well for AO. Damnit, this really sucks big time. Gilles :hug:

FlameOn
01-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Not the neck injury again :(

Gillouthe best
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
He can't never be in peace more than 2 tournaments in a row :mad: , always the back/neck.

Grenouille
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Hope he'll be fine for the Open :s

lalaland
01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/fresh-french-withdrawal-at-sydney-international/story-fnbe6xeb-1226550360856

THE Sydney International is in the grip of a Frenchmen's curse, with a third top player from France pulling out of the tournament through injury.

Second seed Gilles Simon, who was champion in Sydney in 2011, hurt his neck playing doubles last night. The world No.16 says his neck complaint has been an ongoing problem for several years now and flares up every two months or so.

While he was making his announcement, over on the outside courts sixth seed Radek Stepanek had to stop after just four points in his second round match with last year's Sydney runner-up Julien Benneteau with a strained upper back muscle.

So that's four men's seeds that have been bundled out by injury and not by a match result. At least Stepanek had played the first round here. He was forced to withdraw from Brisbane with an eye infection before hitting a ball in anger.

Simon had been given a bye as one of the top four seeds and was due to make his first appearance at Sydney Olympic Park today.

"It is more with the bones and the nerves," said Simon of his neck injury. "I am trying to find some solutions because it happens too many times. Unfortunately it is not easy as the shape of my back is not as it should be. I feel better today but not good enough to go on the court and play."

Simon's withdrawal follows fellow Frenchmen and the events two top seeds Jo Wilfried Tsonga (hamstring) and Richard Gasquet (personal issues) pulling out last Saturday on the eve of competition.

Simon was due to meet the 2012 winner Jarkko Nieminen (Finland) today for a spot in the quarter-finals.

The Frenchman suffered the same problem in Sydney 12 months ago and had to withdraw when he was defending champion.

"Most of the time I don't play two weeks before the (four) slams but this time I wanted to play some matches to get used to that attitude on the court you need before the slam," he said, referring to the Australian Open coming so quickly after the players' off-season break.

"But I don't want to go out there and lose 6-2 6-2 and only be able to play at 50 per cent."

Simon says he should be able to rehabilitate his neck in time for his opening matches in Melbourne next week.

"Yes I have time, if I don't have any more complication. It will be difficult for three or four days but will be alright by Monday," he said.

"But of course it's not the best preparation for Melbourne because you cannot practise as you want to and I have to play five-sets down there to be ready.

"This is my job now to make it as good as possible until the first match there."

As Simon had not played a game yet in the Sydney event, lucky loser Ivo Klec (Slovakia) has been plucked from qualifying and will now play Nieminen.

mike s.
01-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Well it's disappointing but at least it sounds like he'll be fine for Australia. It seems a lot of people are withdrawing or are in doubt this year.

lalaland
01-10-2013, 11:33 PM
AO Draw is out. Gilles is in Murray's section, as he always is. Oh well, I'm not going to hope too much, a R4 showing is good enough for me.

Simon/Volandri
Robredo/Levine
Lu/Ramirez Hidalgo
Monfils/Dolgopolov

Mayer/Williams
Q/Stakhovsky
Sousa/Smith
Hasse/Murray

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Gilles' 1st match begins, he lost his serve and down 0-1. Frankly, he's not looking good, first serves very slow, mostly not even 150km, he also looks lacking energy. Hopefully, he just needs some match play to get himself going...C'mon Gilles.

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Lost his 2nd serve game without winning a pt.

Gilloulou
01-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Is it the neck again?

Sent from my HTC One X using VerticalSports.Com App

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Down 0-4 now, against Volandri on HC FFS. He's playing like 30% max. He just better be hurt for sth to play like this. This could be a short night. I'm just hoping that once he's body getting warm up, he'll serve harder and move faster. C'mon Gilles.

Gillouthe best
01-15-2013, 05:29 AM
First hold :woohoo:

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:40 AM
Volandri won the first set in less than 30 mins.

Winners/UE, 3/14 for Gilles, 8/8 for Volandri.

I'm sad, this is just sad.

mike s.
01-15-2013, 05:45 AM
This is horrible tennis.

Gillouthe best
01-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Set and a break down, this is awful, at least he made a great point. 15-30

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:47 AM
Broken again in 2nd serving first.

I'm sorry, but he's not there, this is hopeless. This will be a first round loss, first time in many years.

Gillouthe best
01-15-2013, 05:50 AM
6-2 2-1 down :sad: , he's allowing Volandri to dictate all the time, it's just annoying.

GilleSimonAddict
01-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's all stop and take a deep breath guys. It's still best 3 out of five sets. Volandri still has a long way to go before he's won this thing. I'll admit that Gilles is looking rough right now, but he is only down a break in the 2nd set and he could easily turn this thing around and I think he will.

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:53 AM
I never notice that Volandri has such ugly serving motion, but at least he holds his serves.

Gillouthe best
01-15-2013, 05:54 AM
Finally gets the break :sigh: , 2/2, Allez!

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's all stop and take a deep breath guys. It's still best 3 out of five sets. Volandri still has a long way to go before he's won this thing. I'll admit that Gilles is looking rough right now, but he is only down a break in the 2nd set and he could easily turn this thing around and I think he will.
:secret:I'm working on my anti-jinx. Negativity is needed for it.

lalaland
01-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Win 2nd set, 4W/7UE, well, that's an improvement.

This is still terrible. I hope he'll get better. C'mon Gillou, get it going.

GilleSimonAddict
01-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Tied a set a piece now and Gilles has more spring in his step too. I think he was just a bit flat and now he's firmly into the match.:rocker2:

lalaland
01-15-2013, 06:40 AM
He blows his nose a lot during changeovers, under the weather? Allergy?

lalaland
01-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Took the 3rd set. Frankly, I think he's still playing like crap. But thank goodness he's playing Volandri, a player more decent wouldn't have let him get away with this. But he still hasn't won, so I better don't jinx him.

3rd set W/UE 6/8.

GilleSimonAddict
01-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Now up 2 sets to 1. Onward to victory.:dance:

Nagyovafan
01-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Ooh he's hitting the ball beautifully now! Just had a rough start, it would appear...

lalaland
01-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Why are they sitting down?

lalaland
01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Oh nevermind, my good stream was dead, my bad stream was silent and frozen, I don't know what's going on...meanwhile, the game goes on while everything including the scoreboard was frozen.

Nagyovafan
01-15-2013, 07:15 AM
A win for Gillou!

GilleSimonAddict
01-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Way to go Gilles! I knew he'd right the ship. He's not ready to go home yet.:clap2:

mike s.
01-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Congrats Gilles! I guess Volandri was injured at the end. Hopefully he works his way into better form.

Gillouthe best
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I just saw a set and a half and it wasn't looking good, so I'm glad he finally made it. His serve was so crap, and his groundies were without many pace, hope it gets better.

sammy01
01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure on Gilles yet this year. His serve seems to have lost a little pace and he is slightly slower. Hopefully it is just getting into the season and finding his game and not a sign of getting older.

He lost 2nd round at the Oz last year, so hopefully can win another match or 2 and gain some ranking points.

lalaland
01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
On L'Equipe:

Simon, son mal en patience
Mené 6-2, 2-0 par Filippo Volandri, Gilles Simon a réussi à dompter (2-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2) son adversaire et ses douleurs aux cervicales pour rejoindre Jesse Levine au deuxième tour.

« Au début, j’ai eu vraiment peur que ce soit ridicule et que cela fasse 6-2, 6-1, 6-2. » Mené 6-2, 2-0 par Filippo Volandri, Gilles Simon est aussi raide que ses cervicales. Il sert à 120 km/h (128 km/h en moyenne en seconde balle), il se déplace sur des œufs et il subit le poids de ses douleurs au cou, au dos et de son rhume. Puis le match bascule. Pourquoi ? « Il a raté un peu plus et j’ai frappé un tout petit plus fort », répond simplement le Français. Et ce n’est pas plus compliqué que ça.

Avec ses secondes balles de service faméliques, le 87e mondial manque de puissance pour enfoncer le clou et entre dans le faux rythme de son adversaire. Plus le temps passe, plus le Français évacue ses appréhensions et peut s’exprimer. «Quand je rentre sur le terrain, j’ai peur car je sais dans quel état je suis. En début de match, je suis partagé entre serrer le jeu et ne pas me faire mal, avoue le 16e mondial. Au bout d’un moment, je trouve mon rythme et un peu de relâchement. » Gilles Simon propose donc des balles cotonneuses à Filippo Volandri avant de l’aligner en passing ou de partir en long de ligne.

Au fil du match, la souffrance change de camp. Perturbé par des maux de ventre, l’Italien finit sur la jante et le Français peut conclure sur trois aces dans le dernier jeu. Le dernier debout a donc gagné. « J’essaie de prendre mon mal en patience et de survivre en attendant », avoue Gilles Simon qui doit affronter Jesse Levine au deuxième tour. Sans entraînement depuis quinze jours, il ne se prend pas la tête. Ca ne sert à rien de rajouter une douleur à la longue liste.
S.D., à Melbourne

He still has pain at the neck and back, and on top of that, he's also sick with a cold.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 04:13 AM
not a good start, someone should tell him he needs to put the ball inside the court...

lalaland
01-17-2013, 04:18 AM
He doesn't look half as bad as the start of last match, but the result is the same, 2 breaks down and this first set may finish even faster than last time. Don't know what to say. Jeez.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 04:35 AM
well i haven't been watching him much the past few months, is this really how he plays now? will it get better? i sure hope so :/

lalaland
01-17-2013, 04:52 AM
In a very hot day, he's having a very hot head...

Well, I want to cut him some slack, playing tennis in 40 degree sun and having a cold, his head is probably a little clouded. He's just cranky as hell. Maybe if he calms down a bit he'll start to play a little better.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 05:00 AM
oh well, i'm giving this 2 more games before i turn in. this is really no fun at all

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 05:05 AM
that was a nice point :)

lalaland
01-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Well, he's calming down, and even the match 1 all, didn't really play a whole lot better, but surely manage to bring his opponent down to his crappy level. That's good enough for the moment.

Please start to play better, Gilles. Allez!

lalaland
01-17-2013, 05:26 AM
My question for him today, besides why the hell is he playing so badly, is why he changes into this oversize knee length shorts? Skinny legs person doesn't suit oversize knee length shorts.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 05:28 AM
oh he brought him down so much lower :]]] actually Levine just decided to self destruct all of the sudden. and gilles a little bit better now. the commentator: "my 88 year old grandma would have made that volley" after another simon miss at the net. lol. still hasn't managed 1 single volley this match

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 05:29 AM
My question for him today, besides why the hell is he playing so badly, is why he changes into this oversize knee length shorts? Skinny legs person doesn't suit oversize knee length shorts.

but the haircut and the beard look good!

lalaland
01-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Well, Doug Alder is a Gilles hater, so he probably thinks his grandma can play better tennis than Gilles.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 05:32 AM
ah he made a volley!

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 05:34 AM
they don't really hate him, they've actually been saying some good and rightfully not so good things about Gilou.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 05:34 AM
but the haircut and the beard look good!

Haircut is good, beard? not my cup of tea. But I'm getting used to it, he seems to shave less and less these days. Maybe he thinks 28 years old he needs to look like one.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 05:35 AM
they don't really hate him, they've actually been saying some good and rightfully not so good things about Gilou.

Well, Doug Adler is a hater, trust me ;).

Granted, he's in his best behavior today, he wasn't insulting him as he used to do all the time.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Gilles not playing much better, but he's serving better.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 05:44 AM
the wy he's playing will be enough **probably** for today and for monfils if and when. but i've watched Andy earlier - he will butcher him violently, i'm sniffing fresh bagels :]

i feel this wasn't a good idea staying up all night to watch this match. at least serena's was entertaining

lalaland
01-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Well, I don't want to look any further beyond this match, one match at a time is really a better strategy when it comes to Gilles. And look, he gave the game away serving for it. Jeez, Gilles, what the hell.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 06:02 AM
what a choke

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:02 AM
I just starting to feel relax and thanks for Gilles to make it all tight again. Damnit Gilles, don't you lose this set :mad:.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:04 AM
OMG, DF is killing him, and he's killing me.

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 06:10 AM
he's just p[ushing back the ball now and waiting for Levine to error - which he does. what is this lack of confidence. that woman ruined his life i tell you!

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Stop complaining you whiner. I mean Gilles.

What woman? The one in the stand?

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 06:13 AM
no the one who gave him a child lol

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
2 more serves again... let's see now

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
poor bh but Levine's even poorer. set point!

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 06:15 AM
omg that was the most pathetic shot iv'e seen in a tennis match ever. thank you Jesse!

Gilloulou
01-17-2013, 06:16 AM
well he's up 2-1 and off to the bathroom to do a hand job probably to relax. i'll go to sleep a bit

good luck to us :]

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:17 AM
no the one who gave him a child lol

Huh? uh, okay, whatever. :lol:
I'm confused...but he won the 3rd set so I'm okay.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:18 AM
well he's up 2-1 and off to the bathroom to do a hand job probably to relax. i'll go to sleep a bit

good luck to us :]

Well, I like you around, you are fun. But if you must go to sleep... sweet dream then.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Well, since he missed that easy volley that Adler's grandma wouldn't have missed, he made most of his volleys after, including some very hard ones. Commentator's jinx it must be. So thanks to Adler, I'm glad his existence has some contribution to the world :p.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:35 AM
How many DFs, I lost count. Gilles' doing his best to prolong this match.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 06:46 AM
He won in 4.

Weathered another storm, that’s his stormy cranky self. Granted, Levine was very sharp at the beginning, but he didn’t last. Needless to say, Gilles needs to play better, a lot better. Good luck next round.

mike s.
01-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Congrats Gilles :D

I think he played much better than the first round actually. He was cranky but as long as it doesn't keep him down for too long that's fine.

GilleSimonAddict
01-17-2013, 06:56 AM
I just didn't feel like playing the stress game today. I believed that Gilles would weather the storm today as he did against Volandri and he did. In fact, I'm really proud of the heart that Gilles once again showed battling his emotions over not being able to play his best coupled with the 105F heat and the tail end of his head cold.:worship:

Fact is, sometimes winning isn't pretty. Sometimes it can even be downright ugly, but at the end of the day, a win is a win, and Gilles is the one moving on to the 3rd round, not Levine. Allez Gilles!:rocker2:

lalaland
01-17-2013, 07:19 AM
He may be hitting the ball better today but I like to see him play better like not playing so far from the baseline, not letting his opponent dictating pts. On a good day when he feels confident, he plays offensively, I want to see that. Then again, when he plays offensively, that's when he's having a good day and feels confident, which clearly is not today, nor the past week or 2. I just really want to see that, that he's confident. He's so capable of all those if only he can be more confident.

Granted, considering the condition today and his own condition, getting thru with a win is a good showing, I don't really expect anything more than that. It's great that he got thru another round. Watching him getting cranky is a bit annoying, but he always got over that, so I wasn't that worry.

misty1
01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
sounds like i missed a good one:lol:

at least he won though.

misty1
01-17-2013, 12:06 PM
also wanted to say that i really like the outfit

sammy01
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
My body is so ready for Gilles vs Monfils and their 40 shot rallies! lol

Seriously though he isn't playing well and I'd put Monfils as the fave, but if he could fight out another win then I'd call a 4th round a big success.

Gillouthe best
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Another hard-fought win for Gilles :yeah: . He needs to keep improving, serve was better today and groundies sharper, but still not at their best.

lalaland
01-17-2013, 07:19 PM
L'Equipe:

Simon s'adapte à toutMalgré des douleurs aux cervicales et la canicule, Gilles Simon tient le choc et sort (2-6, 6-3, 7-6 [4], 6-2) Jesse Levine. Au troisième tour, il affrontera Gaël Monfils.

S’adapter, c’est sa seconde nature. Diminué par des douleurs aux cervicales, Gilles Simon s’adapte. Sans entraînement depuis quinze jours, Gilles Simon s’adapte. Quarante degrés sur le court encore 18 heures, Gilles Simon s’adapte. Comme au premier tour, il prend sa grosse demi-heure pour apprivoiser son corps et son adversaire Jesse Levine (2-6, 6-3, 7-6 [4], 6-2 en 2h50’). « Je joue mal, je me sens mal et je me fais complètement dominer. Je commence le match et je sens que je n’ai pas de solution, soupire le Tricolore. Il prend bien le jeu à son compte, m’envoie à droite, à gauche, il rate très peu, il sert pas mal. C’est dur. »

Après avoir perdu le premier set et sauvé quatre balles de break dans le premier jeu de la deuxième manche, le 16e mondial met en route. « Si je ne sauve pas le jeu de 1-0, ce n’est pas le même match», avoue Gilles Simon. Il sert un peu plus fort (jusqu’à 202 km/h en première balle, 173 km/h en moyenne, 12 aces), il frappe un peu plus fort et neutralise la patte gauche du Canadien avec ses changements de rythme. Mais il faut tenir. Alors il s’adapte et ne panique pas quand il perd son service à 5-4 sur une double faute et une faute en coup droit. Il faut aussi un peu de chance… A 6-5 (Av. Levine), l’attaque de revers d’Air Canada sort de quelques millimètres. Dans le séchoir géant, il peut souffler et le 88e mondial ne se remet pas de sa balle de troisième set.

Avec son physique de marathonien, Gilles Simon fait l’essuie-glace en offrant des balles cotonneuses et pique à la moindre balle courte (46 points gagnants). Quand les jambes commencent à tirer, le Français n’hésite pas à aller vers l’avant (12 points gagnants sur 19 montées) ! « A la fin, je suis rôti, j’envoie parce que je n’avance plus, explique-t-il les traits tirés. Il faudrait arriver à le faire tout le temps. » Dès le premier jeu de la quatrième manche, il enchaîne même service-volée ! Dans les tribunes, Arnaud Clément apprécie. Ce n’est pas la victoire du siècle, mais le 16e mondial résiste encore et attend désormais son pote Gaël Monfils au troisième tour.
S.D., à Melbourne

Gillouthe best
01-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Shame he couldn't break :mad: , missed 3 BP's with tentative play. 4-4

Nagyovafan
01-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Bravo! Premier set à Gilles! Il joue bien aujourd'hui.

Gillouthe best
01-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Monfils faking an injury and killing Gilles momentum :mad: , 3-2 2nd set.

Gillouthe best
01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Gael got under Gilles skin for a moment, but nice reaction from Gilles. Up 4-3!

mike s.
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
This is just depressing. He had this match won before the injury :sad:

lalaland
01-19-2013, 10:27 AM
:sad:This sucks so much, he worked so hard to get to 2 sets up, and only need to hold 3 more times to get to the finish line and now he's injured and can't push up the left leg to serve, and have to move gingerly. This is cruel, very cruel. :mad::sad::sad::sad: so angry I wanna cry.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 10:35 AM
So piss I wanna scream, just can't do it 3:30 in the morning.
If there's a God, he needs to somehow help Gilles out there.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I know he won't retire, but honestly there's no point of going thru it, there's no way in hell that he can win. Now my anger has turned into depression.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Now he's massaging his arm too, he has no legs so he's arming all his balls. He just better don't hurt his arm too. Really Gilles, don't keep hurting yourself, you are already fragile.

Grenouille
01-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Ouch :(
I'm sad. He doesn't deserve that.
I still want him to win but that would such a shame if he can't play against Murray.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
This is the part I don't like as a Gilles fan, watching him torture himself.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 11:20 AM
F**k. I want him to stop and at the same time I want him to make that one more ball. This really hurts. And deep down, I know the more effort he put in, the more effort he waste for no good reason.

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I know it's not much of a comfort but we all know that Gilles had Monfils beat before he started cramping and there wasn't really much chance in him beating Murray so yes he should've made it to the 4th round and gotten the extra bit of points, but, at least he made it to the 3rd round with no warm up tournament and being sick. Also, in true Simon fashion, he is showing what a fighter and stand up guy he is. Without question if this was Monfils, Gasquet or Tsonga, they would've retired long ago. That's not Simon's style. That's where he breaks away from the mold of most of the french players. He doesn't quit.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Yes, he doesn't quit, that's what I love about him. But at the same, too damn hard to watch him when you know he's hurting like hell.

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Simon keeps on fighting and breaks again:worship:

lalaland
01-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't care if he cannot walk out to the court next round, I just want him to win this because he really have it in the bag and then that damn bad luck strike 4-3 in the 3rd. It just so not fair.

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 11:56 AM
You go Simon!!!!

lalaland
01-19-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm going nuts here. I'm sitting at the couch, feeling every pain and agony that Gilles is feeling. I'm sure he feels 100 times worse than what I'm feeling.

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Well win or lose I just have to say that i've never been more proud of and to be a Simon fan!:bowdown:

Grenouille
01-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm so proud of them!!!

lalaland
01-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Oh my god, if you have any strength left, please Gilles, gather them all and sprint to the finish line. Please, please, please let him win.

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Such a shame for Simon. And the crowd is totally on Gael's side and not giving Simon much love at all despite all of the heart he's shown.:sad:

lalaland
01-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Gilles out there all alone fighting his heart out, even the net code won't help him. He'll just have to will himself thru this. Cmon Gilles. Against all odds, we know you can do it.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I ran out of prayers, but please, God have mercy just let Gilles win so we don't have to keep suffering.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 12:28 PM
I hope these 2 don't have to play against each other ever again, every time they play, they just shorten each other's career by 2 years.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Gilles, you are unbelievable. They are both warriors, and sad that one has to lose, but I'm so glad Gilles won.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Just really really hope that he didn't hurt himself too badly.

Grenouille
01-19-2013, 12:37 PM
I hope he can win a few games against Murray :(
Such a fight!!

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Nobody has a bigger heart or more heart than Gilles Simon. I don't care what anybody else says. Gilles proved that to be FACT here tonight. Gilles you are amazing. He has hopefully earned a whole bunch of new fans here tonight.:worship::bowdown::hearts:

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I was literally moved to tears when he won and gave his on court interview there at the end. Just so proud.

This has made the tournament for me. I know he will be destroyed by Murray, but I don't care. I will relish this moment for quite some time.

ImmzB
01-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Amazing effort by Simon!!!

Be proud Simon fans and I know you are! :)

lalaland
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Yes, he'll be destroyed by Murray, but who cares, he already made us so proud. Thank you Gilles. I can't say enough.

Gilloulou
01-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Didn't watch. Shame about his poor fitness but at least he won :)

Gilloulou
01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Just read the hillarious thread about the match. Wish id seen it. Any upload of the 5th at least?

sammy01
01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
So proud of Gilles, fight and heart won him that match. Monfils lives up to his clown name again.

I seriously hope the knee issue isn't something bad, he is gonna be a lame duck against Murray whatever happens :(

sammy01
01-19-2013, 01:17 PM
p.s back to clean shaven and sexy, I approve

Silver.
01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
What. A. Hero. Never been more proud.

That hug :awww:

star
01-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Bonnie D. Ford ‏@Bonnie_D_Ford
On way out of tennis complex saw Simon inching down the hall w/arm around helper, touching wall for balance. Wouldn't accept a wheelchair.

:awww:

Such a tough battle fought out into the wee hours of the morning. Maybe these night matches are great for the fans and the tournament finances, but they aren't that good for the players.

mike s.
01-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Gilles, what a fighter :worship:. So proud of him even though he might have to withdraw or get crushed by Murray. I think this match shows why we all support Gilles, he never gives up.

GilleSimonAddict
01-19-2013, 03:41 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=220002

This thread is disgusting. It's filled with 90% of people saying the dumbest things about Gilles and tennis and yet they call themselves tennis fans. Ridiculous. If you can't even admit to yourself that, regardless of how you may feel about the quality of the tennis on display, the amount of heart shown by Gilles and the wil to win and just the overall inspiring nature of that, then you have no right to call yourself a tennis fan. I'm sorry but seriously. The announcers on my ESPN3 stream where riveted by Gilles' heart and wil and display of intestinal fortitude. I remember now why I pretty much stay in one section of this site. The Gilles section.

mike s.
01-19-2013, 04:19 PM

This thread is disgusting. It's filled with 90% of people saying the dumbest things about Gilles and tennis and yet they call themselves tennis fans. Ridiculous. If you can't even admit to yourself that, regardless of how you may feel about the quality of the tennis on display, the amount of heart shown by Gilles and the wil to win and just the overall inspiring nature of that, then you have no right to call yourself a tennis fan. I'm sorry but seriously. The announcers on my ESPN3 stream where riveted by Gilles' heart and wil and display of intestinal fortitude. I remember now why I pretty much stay in one section of this site. The Gilles section.

Yeah, it's not worth it. GM seems to think that a match is only good if the players hit winners or errors on the first or second shot every point and half of them probably didn't even watch it. It's alright, you know he won a lot of fans in the crowd tonight for that effort.

Gilloulou
01-19-2013, 04:56 PM

I actually like reading, its funny. Especially when Simon wins and they bitch and rant about it endlessly. People can't cheer without dissing others. Its like me watching bartoli. I can admire the fighting spirit but it absolutely detest her tennis and existence lol

sammy01
01-19-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm worried this knee problem might be something serious.

Gillouthe best
01-19-2013, 06:37 PM
So proud of Gilles today :worship: , he's quite the master at winning injured, and today he showed a lot of heart, I think it's his first 5 set win which went over 7-6, winning 8-6 is :worship: . Hope his leg problems can get better, I just hope him to win some games vs Andy.

lalaland
01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
:awww:
Bonnie D. Ford ‏@Bonnie_D_Ford
On way out of tennis complex saw Simon inching down the hall w/arm around helper, touching wall for balance. Wouldn't accept a wheelchair.

Not the first time he needed help to get off the court in Melbourne, the last time was 2006 R1, he was so spent that he needed to be picked up off the floor in front of his chair. There's a pic of that somewhere. But anyway, that is Gilles, the skinnest tennis player with the biggest heart.

Yeah, it's not worth it. GM seems to think that a match is only good if the players hit winners or errors on the first or second shot every point and half of them probably didn't even watch it. It's alright, you know he won a lot of fans in the crowd tonight for that effort.

Well, there is a reason that a Simon/Monfils match always turns out this way, they don't play other players like they do against each other, they know each others ability too well and somehow that they both feel they have to play long rallies to win. I'm not saying it's the best way, but the couch potatoes that are not in the players' shoes have no right to judge.

And then, there's those who can't stand Gilles style, but if Gilles can just hit aces and winners left right and center in the first point all the time you think he would play like this? What Gilles wants, which he has said many times is to have a big serve to set himself up and win cheap points. I'm sure if he can bash ball all day long he won't mind doing that. But his shots aren't big enough in a consistent basis for him to hit ppl off the court, he needs to play those long rallies to get the other guy out of position before he can hit the big shots. Those ppl who don't like his style just refuse to understand that.

I'm worried this knee problem might be something serious.
I'm worry for him for every part of his body, clearly the problems of the legs had led him to overcompensate his other parts of the body, like the arm and who knows where else. As much as I love his big heart, I also think he really needs to put his body in consideration when he's playing injured, which he does often. He has too little regard to his body sometimes.

Anyway, for tomorrow's match, I'm only hoping for a decent scoreline. It sucks that he has to play Murray, then again, if the draw was actually nicer but he is too spent to take advantage of it, I think that would suck more. So I thought it is probably better this way that he's playing a guy he has very little chance to beat anyway even when healthy. I'm curious to see how he will play though. Against Murray he has little options, he can't out-rally Andy, but he's not able to hit big enough shots to past Andy either. With his physical condition tomorrow, I don't know what he can do. Anyway, I'm already happy that he's in R4. Allez Gilles.

mike s.
01-20-2013, 01:39 AM
According to Neil Harman, Gilles went to the hospital last night after the match. I hope I'm wrong but it's not looking good for him playing the match tomorrow

lalaland
01-20-2013, 03:00 AM
According to WLT, he didn't show up at the post-match Presser, so I guess he went to the hospital just as Neil Harman said. Let's hope he just went for some I-V to get rehydrated his drained body, not anything more serious. I hope he'll be sensible, if he is not up to it, then don't play tomorrow. His health is more impt than anything.

mike s.
01-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Well, he had a presser today and is playing. Best of luck Gilles, just try your best!

GilleSimonAddict
01-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Well, he had a presser today and is playing. Best of luck Gilles, just try your best!

I can't say I'm surprised by his decision. What a fighter.:worship:

edit: Oh, and just so you guys know, he said in his interview that he didn't go to the hospital last night. He just got treatment there at the site for about four hours with the usual stuff (massage, stretching etc.) He didn't go to bed until five in the morning. Poor guy.

Also, there is no injury to any part of his body. He was just cramping all over he said in his leg first and then his arm and then it felt like almost everywhere he said but he is alright as far as no injuries which is good news. He thinks the cramping, which has never happened to him on court before, was brought on by his recent illness and lack of preparation do to his neck and back acting up before the event.

Grenouille
01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
He said his wife didn't want to sleep with him last night haha
And he had a beer at 5am.

patalala
01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Is there a link to this press conference?

Grenouille
01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
French Eurosport website but I doubt you can access it being in Australia.

turtle-rn
01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
He said his wife didn't want to sleep with him last night haha
And he had a beer at 5am.
Be careful, this could easily be misinterpreted. ;) Karine asked him to sleep in the physiotherapist's room so that his son does not disturb his sleep.

turtle-rn
01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Is there a link to this press conference?
Not all ES videos are subject to restriction, it's always worth trying. The interview is in French though.

http://video.eurosport.fr/tennis/open-d-australie/2013/open-australie-2013-gilles-simon-mentalement-j-etais-a-fond_vid261929/video.shtml

lalaland
01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
L'Equipe has a shorter version of the itw with some transcripts, I ran it thru the translator, he seems quite alright.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/-il-ne-manquait-plus-que-le-pasteur/343844

This is another itw on Eurosport that has no restriction, no transcript so no idea what he's saying, but I like to look at his clean-shaved face :), we don't get to see that face often these day.
http://video.eurosport.fr/tennis/open-d-australie/2013/australian-open-2013-gilles-simon-ca-m-inspire-un-francais-en-quart_vid261927/video.shtml

This from FFT's site, an article:
http://www.fft.fr/les-francais-lopen-daustralie/actualites/gilles-simon-option-recuperation

FlameOn
01-20-2013, 11:08 PM
I never did post after Simon's victory in R3. That was really something :bowdown:. He couldn't do anything with his serves except get them over the net and he still won :tears:.

Don't listen to the nasty people ;). I won't be watching his R4 match sadly (Gilles is not the reason :p) and he'll probably lose, but best of luck anyway :bowdown:.

Gilles our Lion.

lalaland
01-21-2013, 03:16 AM
Gilles' English Presser from yesterday, the video. Transcript is in the AO website if you haven't seen it yet.

http://au.eurosport.com/tennis/tennis-france-s-simon-a-wreck-after-monfils-marathon_sto3582540/story.shtml

BlueLighthouse
01-21-2013, 07:29 AM
I know a lot of people wouldn't bother watching this match but I'd like to know how he is.

Gilles looks ok you guys except extremely tired and still coughing a lot + stuffy nose. Other than than he doesn't seem to have any specific pain.

He plays a little bit more agressive than usual and resulted in lots of UE. He's coming to the net more to, surprisingly with some successful volleys.

Gilles moves Andy around. Andy is not even trying hard, he's in his comfortable defensive shell. Result would be inevitable (I'm watch set 3 now, Andy won set 1&2 comfortably).

lalaland
01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm watching.

He started the match moving half the pace than usual, and now he's barely moving at the 3rd set. I know the result is inevitable, but at least he's still trying. Mr. Wilander thinks he should retire at 2-4 down in the 3rd set. Ummm, I don't think so.

*well, I think that's Wilander, based on the voice. Maybe someone can confirm who's the commentator in Eurosport. anyways....

lalaland
01-21-2013, 07:45 AM
That's it, 6-3, 6-1, 6-3. Not much he can do.

mike s.
01-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Good fight and good tournament Gilles! Sad to see him in this condition but hopefully with some rest and proper training he can get back into his best shape again. It wasn't a good performance but he didn't embarrass himself.

GilleSimonAddict
01-21-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm thoroughly ok with this. I didn't think he was going to be able to pull off the win against Monfils, but he did and after that, I was more than satisfied. He has nothing to hang his head about. If this were Gasquet or Monfils, they probably wouldn't have even bothered to come out and give it a go today, but not Simon.

With a chest cold and no preparation coming into this event and being able to make it to the 4th round anyway which is where we figured he would make it if he was healthy is an awesome accomplishment. It also ties with 3 other 4th round appearances as his second best showing at a major. All and all not bad. He will get a good amount of points to to help push him up the rankings seeing as how he's made it two rounds better than last year's 2nd round loss. So hats off to you Gilles. Thanks for a wonderful 2013 Australian Open. :hatoff::bowdown::worship:

Oh and I'm not even going to bother looking in the other thread :rolleyes: this time.

BlueLighthouse
01-21-2013, 08:02 AM
This is pretty much sum up his character:

@Kamakshi_Tandon
Gilles Simon limping along after Monfils, official offers to have him wheeled back to lockerroom. Shakes head. 'I still have... my pride.'

GilleSimonAddict
01-21-2013, 08:11 AM

@Kamakshi_Tandon
Gilles Simon limping along after Monfils, official offers to have him wheeled back to lockerroom. Shakes head. 'I still have... my pride.'

Yeah, I went on twitter and typed in her handle and found the tweet with a link to the espn article and here's the exact full quote from Simon highlighted in bold:

--Gilles Simon was limping back to the locker room after his five-set win over Gael Monfils on Saturday night. After 4 hours, 23 minutes, the Frenchman could barely move and had to lean on a helper as he walked. But he shook his head when offered a wheelchair.

"I still have," he began, then broke off, searching his fuzzy brain for the English word, "my pride."

And onward he limped.--

Love him even more.:inlove: It's stuff like that that guarantees my loyalty to him for life. He could drop out of the top 100. I don't care. Character, heart, wil etc. all goes along way for me.

lalaland
01-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Yes, despite the scoreline, it wasn't that bad, granted, Andy played pretty crappy too. Gilles did what he could, which is not much, so he came to the net half the time. But anyway, I'm glad that he got thru the match and didn't look like he did more damage to himself, that's pretty much all I've hoped for in this match.

Although I do feel a little disappointed that it's another slam and another slam that he didn't get further than usual, eventhough he did live up to his ranking. I just wish he can be healthy for the next slam. 2 slams in a roll he battled with health issues going in and every match he played was in some sort of agony. I'm really just feeling bad for him. Plus I think some ppl didn't know him much probably start to think that he can only serve 160km/h first serve :mad:. He really needs a break from these injuries. Gilles :hug:. I'm really proud of him for gutting out those injuries, and at the same time, I felt gutted that he can't never be healthy to perform up to his highest level. I wish something can happen that he will stop having that neck issue all the time. Well, anyway, rest well Gilles. I kinda hope that he doesn't need to go to D.C. (although feeling extremely bad that I wish that knowing how much he wants to be part of D.C.). I wish he will rest up well for the European indoor season.

Grenouille
01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
That's the usual scoreline against Murray.

turtle-rn
01-21-2013, 01:22 PM

@Kamakshi_Tandon
Pride be damned, if Karine were around, she would have booted his ass in that wheelchair and rightly so. Gilles gave a fuller account in his French presser, he went on limping but was too weak to make it to the locker room, had to lie down on the car parking flooring and the officials called the firemen! >_< (OT, I thought only here in France do people call the firefighters for medical emergencies lol). On the bright side, "only a priest and a notary (for the will) were missing" was the funniest line of his presser.

BlueLighthouse
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Haha now I can laugh. But to think back he was very stupid and stubborn. Nothing new :-)

GilleSimonAddict
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Here's a small piece of his post match interview after his match with Murray yesterday confirming what we all already knew. He also gives his thoughts on Murray's chances at winning this major and his fellow countrymen Chardy's chances at maybe pulling another upset win.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-21/201301211358760246551.html

lalaland
01-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Pride be damned, if Karine were around, she would have booted his ass in that wheelchair and rightly so. Gilles gave a fuller account in his French presser, he went on limping but was too weak to make it to the locker room, had to lie down on the car parking flooring and the officials called the firemen! >_< (OT, I thought only here in France do people call the firefighters for medical emergencies lol). On the bright side, "only a priest and a notary (for the will) were missing" was the funniest line of his presser.

Oh, so the fireman thing is for real? I thought he was just joking. :lol:

turtle-rn
01-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Oh, so the fireman thing is for real? I thought he was just joking. :lol:
Yes, it was for real. ^^ Actually, I suspect the rumour of him being transported to a hospital sprung up because of the firemen intervention.

lalaland
01-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes, it was for real. ^^ Actually, I suspect the rumour of him being transported to a hospital sprung up because of the firemen intervention.

Thanks for the translate. Clearly things are lost in translation when one reads thru the translator, I didn't quite get the whole scenario. I knew he was joking about the priest and the notary but the joke is more funny now I understand the whole thing. So that's why the hospital got into the mix, it all make sense now. :lol: He did see the doctor and receive the drip on site, so no need to go to hospital anyway.

I read on some tennis blog that said at some point during his match against Gael that "Gilles Simon" was trending 2nd just behind Bieber. :lol: He just made himself famous for all the wrong reasons :p. Granted, if he's not so stubborn to carry on in that match and even win it, he'll just be another player who couldn't deal physically and lost a 2-0 leads, nothing will be there to talk about. In '09 AO, he was the guy who played the boring match with Gael and was so upset that Gael was hurt he's almost in tears in the post-match on-court itw (that's how he made such an big impression on me, to see him getting so upset for Gael was quite moving). In '11, he was the guy who almost caused an upset to Federer in R2. In '13, he's the guy who played that ridiculous marathon match that everyone thought he should have retired after set 3 but he won 2.5 hrs later. So at this pace, 2015 will be another big AO year for him, maybe he'll win it ;).

lalaland
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
And Captain Clement just announced his Davis Cup Team, Gilles' not included, which I expected. Hope Gilles' not too disappointed.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Chardy-dans-le-groupe/344264

GilleSimonAddict
01-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Sigh, looks like it's going to be Guy Forget all over again. Oh well, he can just focus on himself and his own success. They don't appreciate him enough in my opinion anyway so why bother.

mike s.
01-22-2013, 01:52 AM
He's probably the least appreciated player of his generation, particularly in his home country, but there's nothing that he can do to change it so it's not worth worrying about it. It's good for him to be able to recover physically.

lalaland
01-22-2013, 02:59 AM
He's probably the least appreciated player of his generation, particularly in his home country, but there's nothing that he can do to change it so it's not worth worrying about it.

So true and I wish I know how to not worry about it. Bugs the hell out of me when the French only knows to criticize him for everything :mad:.

But anyway, he did get AO to spend more ink on him this time:

Article:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2013-01-21/201301201358663444257.html

Nothing too interest nor exciting, but at least he got them to talk about him a little more.

Casp83
01-22-2013, 04:34 AM
So true and I wish I know how to not worry about it. Bugs the hell out of me when the French only knows to criticize him for everything :mad:.

But anyway, he did get AO to spend more ink on him this time:

Article:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2013-01-21/201301201358663444257.html

Nothing too interest nor exciting, but at least he got them to talk about him a little more.

What do you mean when you say that the French only knows to criticize him for everything? :confused:
I live in France and i don't think he's criticized for everything...
In my perception, he has less haters in France than let's say Tsonga and Monfils (arrogant, clown etc...).

lalaland
01-22-2013, 05:32 AM
What do you mean when you say that the French only knows to criticize him for everything? :confused:
I live in France and i don't think he's criticized for everything...
In my perception, he has less haters in France than let's say Tsonga and Monfils (arrogant, clown etc...).

:lol: I already knew someone will come by and challenge what I say, cos every time I said something about the French they always do come to challenge me, never fails.

So sorry, I guess I put it wrong, I don't mean that that's all the French do. When I read those comments on French sites, half of them are criticisms about everything from his game, personality, residence, achievements or lack of it, his fragility, his injuries which to them are all excuses for the present loss or future losses...It's a lot of nitpicking and it seems no stones were left unturned when it comes to criticism.

I shouldn't have said "the French only knows", cos it did imply that's all they do. But it's not, other half of the comments are appreciations.

But really, I'm just very frustrated for how things turned out these days for Gilles. I wish I don't care so much, which I probably will soon shift my focus from tennis now that hockey is back ;). But meanwhile, I'm ranting because I'm frustrated and sometimes when one is frustrated like me, one can only feel the negativity of everything.

But do feel free to correct me. I don't claim to know French and I read French by translator combined with the little knowledge that I gather from French 101. So I can only go by what I managed to gather and I could be totally wrong. He's french and there's hardly a french fan on this forum (well, Nat does come by once in a very long while nowadays)...The French are welcomed to come and tell me more about the true French perspective of things. Yes, if you can share with me what does the French think about Gilles in general, I'll appreciate it very much. Back in last year's USO when he was on TV playing R3 match against Fish with his bumped shoulder, the US commentators were saying how unpopular Gilles was that the French TV won't broadcast his matches. I think that's so untrue, but then, I don't really live in France, so what do I know.

turtle-rn
01-22-2013, 06:37 AM
He's probably the least appreciated player of his generation, particularly in his home country, but there's nothing that he can do to change it so it's not worth worrying about it. It's good for him to be able to recover physically.
Not true at all, of the four top French players who are of the same generation, he's easily the one who got the most sympathetic media coverage in this country and the appreciation is reciprocal as shown in many of his interviews. He certainly never experienced the level of bashing Gasquet or Monfils are subjected to here. Same goes with the FFT, of which he was the most loyal child and got the dividende for it. Guess who was the only player, male or female, who got to play 5 matches in a row on center court at RG11 (singles and doubles), I give you a clue, it wasn't Tsonga, Federer, Nadal or Sharapova.

And as for the DC team, Clement explained his choices regarding Gilles (http://www.lepays.fr/actualite/2013/01/21/france-israel-se-jouera-sans-simon-et-monfils) and it made sense, but I'm sure you already knew that...

turtle-rn
01-22-2013, 06:40 AM
So sorry, I guess I put it wrong, I don't mean that that's all the French do. When I read those comments on French sites, half of them are criticisms about everything from his game, personality, residence, achievements or lack of it, his fragility, his injuries which to them are all excuses for the present loss or future losses...It's a lot of nitpicking and it seems no stones were left unturned when it comes to criticism.
Those comments exist but are not as harsh and representative as you think, especially compared to what you read on GM here.

He's french and there's hardly a french fan on this forum
Wonder why. :p

(well, Nat does come by once in a very long while nowadays)... The French are welcomed to come and tell me more about the true French perspective of things. Yes, if you can share with me what does the French think about Gilles in general, I'll appreciate it very much. Back in last year's USO when he was on TV playing R3 match against Fish with his bumped shoulder, the US commentators were saying how unpopular Gilles was that the French TV won't broadcast his matches. I think that's so untrue, but then, I don't really live in France, so what do I know.
And you believed it? :unsure:

Yup, I don't come here regularly anymore but feel free to PM or email me if you need help for translating, I wouldn't mind in the least. ;)

lalaland
01-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Those comments exist but are not as harsh and representative as you think, especially compared to what you read on GM here.

This is good to know.
GM is different, too many trolls and haters who aim to make other fans mad by saying mean things about pretty much every player. I try to not care about whatever they have to say.

Wonder why. :p
I do wonder. So why?
I can only come up with the fact that this is an English forum, maybe the French rather hang out in the French forums? I don't know.
Granted, of all the Frenchies here, this and Richies' are the most frequently visited forums. I'm rather surprised that it seems no one go to Tsonga's forum, despite the fact the GM ppl seems to think everyone loves Tsonga (for the record, I don't ;)).

And you believed it? :unsure:
Of course I don't believe it. But since I don't get to watch French TV, I don't feel confident enough to say that's a total lie.

But come to think of it, of course he's on French TV, he's playing all his matches on Chatrier last year. I do notice that he played more matches on Chatrier than Tsonga in the first 3 rounds.

But my point is, here in the US, we don't really know. I thought I know since I read whatever that I can get a hand on, which is very little to begin with. So I'm sure my perception is only based on a fraction of the whole reality.

Yup, I don't come here regularly anymore but feel free to PM or email me if you need help for translating, I wouldn't mind in the least. ;)
Such a sweetie, you :hug:

Grenouille
01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't think he was a good option for the team. I'm surprised some people are blaming Clément already. He's not well physically and he wasn't playing well in Australia contrary to Gasquet, Tsonga and Chardy. No way he's gonna in the doubles team so this is fair not to be in the team. It's better for him to rest.

GilleSimonAddict
01-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't know. I think there is something to it. Why would the US commentators say it if there wasn't some truth to it?:shrug: It's not like it benefits them in any way by saying it. It may not be entirely true, but perception is reality and if there is any truth to it or the perception of that being the case, then there must be some truth to it. And as you can see, several of us get that perception.

For me personally, I get the sense of it and see it. The FFT seems to much prefer to gush over Monfils and Tsonga these days than Simon. They like guys who are flashy and have pizazz in their game. Who are aggressive and have a lot of power and take the initiative to when rallies rather than counterpunch. Simon is just that other French guy that's out there doing his thing.

Since he offers a no frills approach to tennis (in their eyes) and, admittedly, is pretty subdued on the court, unless he's angry or fidgety of course, showing very little emotion following good shots and not being a braggart, they don't tend to pay him as much attention or mind. That's the way it comes off to me. It was a lot like Nikolay Davydenko compared to Safin and just in general. A great player not payed much attention or at least the attention he deserved given his ranking and caliber as a player. Basically Simon is taken for granted in my, and some others, opinion is the feeling and perception and the FFT and press etc. don't tend to make it that hard to believe that that is the case. At least not these days.

Grenouille
01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't agree with you.

Gilles doesn't like to be in the flashlight and I think he's fine with that situation.
Nobody blames him. He may not get as much attention as others but that's what he wants too.
Actually, I believe Gilles needs to reach the final of a slam or have an amazing Roland Garros or do something special for Davis Cup to be treated the way Gaël and Jo are.

soulage
01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Gilles doesn't want to have the life of Jo or Gael. For exemple he refuses the adverts, he refuses to talk about him too much. He often repeat he's happy not to be them.
He's less famous also because he wants it and of course because of his game :p and his personnality. Then I think is well treated by french medias.

turtle-rn
01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
GM is different, too many trolls and haters who aim to make other fans mad by saying mean things about pretty much every player. I try to not care about whatever they have to say.
If you can dismiss the GM comments as trolls' mumbo jumbos, why not do the same when you stumble upon similar comments on French websites, even more so if you not sure to fully grasp their meaning?

I do wonder. So why?
I can only come up with the fact that this is an English forum, maybe the French rather hang out in the French forums? I don't know.
When I started posting in the Simon forum, half of the regular posters were French and pretty much fluent in English. Those French posters were also the ones that kept the Tsonga and Monfils forums alive. They're almost all gone now. Wonder why. :p

Of course I don't believe it. But since I don't get to watch French TV, I don't feel confident enough to say that's a total lie.

But come to think of it, of course he's on French TV, he's playing all his matches on Chatrier last year. I do notice that he played more matches on Chatrier than Tsonga in the first 3 rounds.

But my point is, here in the US, we don't really know. I thought I know since I read whatever that I can get a hand on, which is very little to begin with. So I'm sure my perception is only based on a fraction of the whole reality.
It's not only a lie, that statement doesn't make sense. From start to finish of the event, each of the seven show courts has its own HD stream that is displayed on TV on top of the two regular channels that focus on the two main courts. In other words, it's only the OOP that decides whose match gets air time and the last time Simon played on a no-show court.. well, I'm not even sure it ever happened. I'd take a wild stab and say those US commentators were not exactly Simon fans.

turtle-rn
01-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Gilles doesn't like to be in the flashlight and I think he's fine with that situation.Nobody blames him. He may not get as much attention as others but that's what he wants too.

Gilles doesn't want to have the life of Jo or Gael. For exemple he refuses the adverts, he refuses to talk about him too much. He often repeat he's happy not to be them.

+3

Casp83
01-22-2013, 07:49 PM
I don't know. I think there is something to it. Why would the US commentators say it if there wasn't some truth to it?:shrug: It's not like it benefits them in any way by saying it. It may not be entirely true, but perception is reality and if there is any truth to it or the perception of that being the case, then there must be some truth to it. And as you can see, several of us get that perception.

For me personally, I get the sense of it and see it. The FFT seems to much prefer to gush over Monfils and Tsonga these days than Simon. They like guys who are flashy and have pizazz in their game. Who are aggressive and have a lot of power and take the initiative to when rallies rather than counterpunch. Simon is just that other French guy that's out there doing his thing.

Since he offers a no frills approach to tennis (in their eyes) and, admittedly, is pretty subdued on the court, unless he's angry or fidgety of course, showing very little emotion following good shots and not being a braggart, they don't tend to pay him as much attention or mind. That's the way it comes off to me. It was a lot like Nikolay Davydenko compared to Safin and just in general. A great player not payed much attention or at least the attention he deserved given his ranking and caliber as a player. Basically Simon is taken for granted in my, and some others, opinion is the feeling and perception and the FFT and press etc. don't tend to make it that hard to believe that that is the case. At least not these days.

I don't agree with you either.
Clearly, the US commentators don't know much about him or his tennis when he's playing at his best (during the Fish match at the Us Open for example, one commentator asking to the other guy if Gilles always played this way and he answered "yes" whereas he had a shoulder injury and played at about 50% lol, it's just one example) and they don't live in France anymore so...
Also, he's generally well appreciated and is considered as a "good customer" in interviews by the french medias because he's rather an intelligent guy and generally describe very well his matches (i've read some interesting particular interviews from him in l'Equipe Magazine as well).
But, he's clearly less known than Tsonga, Monfils and Gasquet in France by the general public and has slightly less medias coverage because he's less charismatic and is lacking great results in GS particularly at Roland Garros.

lalaland
01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
If you can dismiss the GM comments as trolls' mumbo jumbos, why not do the same when you stumble upon similar comments on French websites, even more so if you not sure to fully grasp their meaning?
That's bcos it's always the same idiots that are trolling the GM, you get to know them so well that you know whatever they said are nonsenses. But in the French websites, I don't pay as much attention to who's the regulars so I don't tend to censor the posters as much. Perhaps I should.

When I started posting in the Simon forum, half of the regular posters were French and pretty much fluent in English. Those French posters were also the ones that kept the Tsonga and Monfils forums alive. They're almost all gone now. Wonder why. :p

Oh, I see. And may I say the Frenchies here speak very well English, to be clear I wasn't suggesting that they are not in here bcos of their language ability, only bcos of their preference. I sometimes want to post a line or 2 on those French sites too, but I usually give up after trying for a while to work out the sentence, fearing I would make a fool of myself.

It's not only a lie, that statement doesn't make sense. From start to finish of the event, each of the seven show courts has its own HD stream that is displayed on TV on top of the two regular channels that focus on the two main courts. In other words, it's only the OOP that decides whose match gets air time and the last time Simon played on a no-show court.. well, I'm not even sure it ever happened. I'd take a wild stab and say those US commentators were not exactly Simon fans.

True. And very obviously that US tennis commentators aren't Simon fans. If you look at the stars in US tennis, you will find a pattern, big servers or spoiled brats, or both (Roddick/Fish/Harrison...). You don't get famous in US if you are quiet and have counter-punching game. Of course I don't believe a single thing they said about Simon or a lot of other tennis players. But like GillesAddict said, the perception their BS created usually painted Gilles in a very negative way. It's a very sad thing for the fans in this part of the world. Granted there are exceptions, every year in USO, the NYTimes will write articles about the players and I've read several that was written on Gilles and they are very nice true one, that is because the writer actually spent time researching and talked to Gilles and the people around him to get the clear picture of things. That's a rare thing in the commentators world. For example, the commentators always said Gilles' family don't travel with him much if at all, that's probably bcos they never find them in the stand. But I think they actually are with him quite a lot, Karine always go to the Spring and Summer US swings, she's always with him in Germany during summers, she's there in most of the French tournaments if not all, I saw her couples of years in Rome in the stands, last year they were in S.A. before IW, this year they are in Australia. That's at least half of the season there. You won't know if you just look at the stands, but I always noticed her present in itw/news or simply just spot her at the stands far away from the player box. She's always there. Clearly, commentators know little but they pass out their words like that's the only truth.

Gillouthe best
02-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Montpellier draw is out:

(8) Paire vs Qualifier
(WC) Mannarino vs Darcis
Mathieu vs Kukushkin
(4) Simon vs Bye

(7) Troicki vs (WC) Pouille
Hajek vs Sela
Qualifier vs Llodra
(2) Tipsarevic vs Bye

Can't say if the draw is good or bad, Gilles doesn't like playing fellow frenchman, Mathieu on R2 and Paire on QF can be really tricky ( Gilles has a negative H2H with both), but I guess SF's or even the final if he's playing well are pretty doable.

sammy01
02-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Cant really complain at the draw, all the tougher seeds in the other half and Monfils. With 10 of the 28 players in the draw French, he was going to draw some french players along the way.

I'm hoping for a SF minimum.

He is also in the doubles draw. Just think how much money Simon has earned over the years with all the 1st round loser doubles money he has collected lol.

Nagyovafan
02-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Ooooh the idea of a Paire-Simon quarterfinal makes me excited.

Kezzi
02-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Paire & Gilou will also play doubles in Rotterdam. :p

Gillouthe best
02-03-2013, 09:10 AM

:D , I love Benoît also, nice to see Gillou gets along with him. Here in Montpellier he is playing with Flo Serra, they play Cerretani/Shamasdin on R1.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

GilleSimonAddict
02-04-2013, 01:32 AM
I prefer the team of Simon/Chardy myself. Chardy has the serve and Simon has the baseline game. I believe they've had the most success of anyone he's paired with recently too.

mike s.
02-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Good luck Gilles, hope he does well on home soil!

MsTree
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Just think how much money Simon has earned over the years with all the 1st round loser doubles money he has collected lol.

That did make me genuinely LOL!

Hi everyone - sorry I've been awol from MTF for a while :wavey: Back more regularly now I hope! :angel:

duong
02-05-2013, 03:53 PM
just a word to say that even though I'm not a fan, I really admired Gilles in his match against Monfils.

I felt like writing "great match" on GM but I was too busy at something else to comment.

Then I saw on Tignor's blog that there had been some unpleasant comments on this match.

I really think it's unfair because this match was a great display of bravery and tennis expertise imo, esp. from Gilles.

Thought about writing it here as I also had to make a comment in Monfils' section of the forum :lol:

I hope for you that Gilles will have a better health in next months :)

PS : Gilles will not have to face Mathieu in second round as Mathieu has been moved to the number 8 seed, Gilles will face the winner of Kukushkin-Brugues Davi, which is much easier imo especially as Kuku just comes back from a long injury break, and Simon doesn't like to play Mathieu.

mike s.
02-05-2013, 07:06 PM
just a word to say that even though I'm not a fan, I really admired Gilles in his match against Monfils.

I felt like writing "great match" on GM but I was too busy at something else to comment.

Then I saw on Tignor's blog that there had been some unpleasant comments on this match.

I really think it's unfair because this match was a great display of bravery and tennis expertise imo, esp. from Gilles.

Thought about writing it here as I also had to make a comment in Monfils' section of the forum :lol:

I hope for you that Gilles will have a better health in next months :)

PS : Gilles will not have to face Mathieu in second round as Mathieu has been moved to the number 8 seed, Gilles will face the winner of Kukushkin-Brugues Davi, which is much easier imo especially as Kuku just comes back from a long injury break, and Simon doesn't like to play Mathieu.

Thanks duong. For me, it wasn't so much the GM comments that bothered me, that's to be expected because many are just trying to get a rise out of people. It was that tennis journalists and commentators on twitter and ESPN were trashing both players and the match even though it was clear that both players were struggling with injuries and giving it their all. It's a shame to me when people who play or cover the sport for a living don't appreciate all styles of play even if it's not their preferred style. Darren Cahill, who I usually like, was one of the worst with this match and it was incredibly disappointing.

lalaland
02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks Duong, means a lot to hear it from you.

lalaland
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Serra/Simon won their double :eek:
I remember a while ago someone watched these 2 played together and told us that Flo is worse than Gilles. So quite an achievement for these 2 to win a double match. Bravo.

Kezzi
02-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Wow, that gives me some hope that Paire/Simon could make 2nd round, cause they called Paire a doubles specialist somewhere. :lol:

turtle-rn
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Practicing for the highlight of their season: the next interclubs. :hearts:

Gillouthe best
02-06-2013, 08:10 PM
:eek: , Gilles & Flo always lose easily on doubles when they team. He plays tomorrow Arnau Brugues-Davi on Central Court, Allez Gilles!

Gilloulou
02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
just won the first set on a tie break after being behind the set. the serve is pretty nice. other than that, he's playing some of his worse tennis :/

Gilloulou
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
a silly man shouts his lunges out at every change "Allez Simon! Allez Simon!". ahh so bad and so tentative and unconvincing. luckily the Spanish player is terrible

Gilloulou
02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
nice to him with excellent half volleys. still the best show is the man in the stands shouting :]]

Gilloulou
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
better job in the 2nd, funny volley to finish it off

Gilloulou
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
and the guy keeps shouting Simon and the crowd claps with him, lol

mike s.
02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Only saw the tiebreak so I can't really comment on his form but he looked ok physically which is good. Anyway, a win is a win, good luck next round Gilles!

lalaland
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
The groundies were not in gear especially in the first set, but serve is. 87% first serve in first set, unheard of from Gilles. Second set the shots were more firm, getting there. And that last shot a trick shot winner, what a showman this guy Simon :p. Well, hopefully the rust is off and he plays better next match. Allez.

Oh, and Allez to the double, against the #1 seed.

Gillouthe best
02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
12 aces :eek: , and winning most points on serve, that's good coming from Gilles :yeah: . Paire up next, should be tough, he lost in Rotterdam two years ago when Benoit was worse, but I think he should prevail if he plays well.

lalaland
02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
They lost the double in straight set. Better luck next week in double then.

For the benefit of those who didn't see the single match, I forgot to mention that 87% first set in 1st set was good serves, not just rolling in. His serve was on, he hit a lot of lines and hence 10 aces in 1st set. It feels good to see him serve well like that, since his serve has been suffering so much due to the neck, back, shoulder...injuries. It's great to see him serve normally and effectively. Hopefully, it will last. The rest of his game though, still blah.

sammy01
02-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Gilles was lacking depth on his groundies in his singles match. He served well and was moving fine, but had to rely on errors as he wasn't hitting deep enough to gain control of the points. Needs to step that up next match.

Nagyovafan
02-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Paire is a different story, though. Benoit is more error-prone. And his style isn't always that aggressive. He likes to play weird slices, often off his forehand even, and showy, little, brilliant drop shots. But Gillou is fast and if he moves well and stays in the points he'll be able to get inside Paire's head and force some errors.

This is just hard for me because it's my two favorite players battling it out. I feel conflicted. But no matter how handsome Benoit may be, my heart still says Allez Gillou!

Grenouille
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
The 2 most handsome tennis players.

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Paire is a different story, though. Benoit is more error-prone. And his style isn't always that aggressive. He likes to play weird slices, often off his forehand even, and showy, little, brilliant drop shots.
For a long time, dealing with dropshots /low balls near the net was a crying weakness in Gilles' game, he has improved a lot over the years. It's one of the rare situation in which his wonky slice BH can actually do some good. Hopefully, he won't prove me wrong today.

This is just hard for me because it's my two favorite players battling it out. I feel conflicted. But no matter how handsome Benoit may be, my heart still says Allez Gillou!
My two favorites too but on the contrary, it makes things easier for me, it's a win-win situation. :p

The 2 most handsome tennis players.
Yas! :worship:

Gilloulou
02-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Paire looks exhausted today but such a hottie, should think of more creative ways to play his raquet :]

Gilloulou
02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
stupid tv stopped showing the matches just before Smon's. anybody has a stream that doesnt stuck all the time?

Gilloulou
02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Simon breaks to lead 4-3, wd. Paire is pretty much all over the place. he'll always have his looks i guess

and broekn right back gosh

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm using this, so far it's been stable : http://88.80.5.80/w00t/20130202/vv510cbef9160c4222607005-518828.html

Debreak. :rolleyes:

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Yes, agressive play from both. In the beard department, Paire >>> Gilles :o

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Good game. 5 all. lol @Gilles' ballerina BH volley

Gilloulou
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
he's playing much better today, just too many UE

Gilloulou
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
the ballerina works! they should both play with tights and tank tops

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Had a BP. *5/6

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:32 PM
the ballerina works! they should both play with tights and tank tops
:unsure:

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Too passive + DF. :mad:

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
2 SP Paire. :(

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Set Paire. 7/5

Gilloulou
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
such a bad taste to end the set. wish he would take a step and half inside the court to hit those backhands... well can't say much about it. had a slight edge but not convincing enough when it mattered...
off to dinner

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Bon appétit. ;)

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:49 PM
2 amazing winners in a row. :hearts: one all.

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:50 PM
2BP. take one!! :mad:

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
:stupid:

Gillouthe best
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
He can't convert :mad:

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
2/1 Paire 2nd set. Already 3 BP wasted by Gilles in that set.

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Easy hold, agressive play at the net from Gilles. 2 all

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Awful game, 3 UEs + DF: broken 2/4

turtle-rn
02-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Debreak point! Allez!