Richie's new season - Doha + Aussie Summer 2013 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Richie's new season - Doha + Aussie Summer 2013

afterglows
12-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi everybody, is there any Gasquetaire left here? :wavey:

Richie will start 2013 in Doha with a match vs a qualifier. Then he takes the winner of Fognini/Zemla.

I'm looking forward to see if his level of play is good at the moment.

ALLEZ RICHIE!!!

I have a question: if his ranking doesn't move in the next 2 weeks, will Richard get his highest seed number in a GS at AO 2013?

ImmzB
12-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Allez Richard!!

Not a bad draw in Qatar, Richard opens up against a Qualifier.

All the best and Qatar is being televised for the whole week in London!! :bounce:

I have a question: if his ranking doesn't move in the next 2 weeks, will Richard get his highest seed number in a GS at AO 2013?

Richard's highest seeding was 8th at the 2008 Australian Open.

afterglows
12-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Richard's highest seeding was 8th at the 2008 Australian Open.

Oh right. Thanks :)

GasquetGulbis
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Gasquet has a good chance to make the finals here. It's too bad there's no way for him to bump up from 9th seed to 8th seed at the Aussie Open. Quarter-finals anyone?

Puschkin
01-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Richard wins 6-3 6-4 against Hernych. 28 winners versus 15 UEs, but poor serving.

GasquetGulbis
01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Richie comes back from a set down to win against Zemlja. Not a match that should have gone to three, but good to see Richie made a come back.

Puschkin
01-03-2013, 05:40 AM
A hard fought battle against a good opponent. Well done Richard for hanging in.

Puschkin
01-04-2013, 05:47 AM
6-1 6-3 against LAcko. I could not watch the match and I really don't know what to make from this. On GM they repeat the usual stuff about camping behind the baseline while friends who pmed me about the match report exactly the opposite: an unusual number of errors because he bashed on everything as fast as he could, notably in the second set. L'Equipe mentions beautiful BH winners, elsewhere I could read that the first BH winner came on match point. I really wonder if all those people watched the same match. ;)

So it is back to statistics and they show the best serve numbers in Doha so far. Good luck against Brands. :D

afterglows
01-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Richie in the final!! :rocker:

It's weird being a Gasquet's fan these days, after following Richie for so the many years, him being now the player who wins matches relying on experience, breaking at the good times, making comebacks...

GasquetGulbis
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Tsonga and Gasquet pulled out of Sydney. Gasquet I assume is just so he won't have to play 2 full tournaments before the Aussie Open. As bad as it sounds, I hope Tsonga's is something that may take him out of Aussie so Gasquet will get a top 8 seed.

Jozie
01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Fabulous, first ATP title winner 2013. What a way to start the year!
Just amazed at how Richard has been able to bounce back when defeat is almost inevitable.
Well done Richie!! (and Piatti)... quite inspirational.
:bounce:

Gul
01-05-2013, 05:04 PM
He won:)))) love it !

Vlad1980
01-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Richard wins the title! I think this was the most impressive win from him so far, given this is a major tune up for a major. Beating a tough player like Davydenko (who just destroyed Ferrer in semis) should give him a lot of confidence, especially after he was down a set and a break and couple breakpoints. I watched 3 of his matches and although he did not play as aggressive as he did in the fall indoors, he fought just as much. I would like him to be a bit more aggressive with forehand and stay closer to baseline, but win is a win and it is a great start to the year! Hope he keeps it up at AO.

Also, he was tied with Almagro for 10th position in the rankings. What a way to solidify his top 10 status! :)

Puschkin
01-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I would like him to be a bit more aggressive with forehand and stay closer to baseline, but win is a win and it is a great start to the year!
This will come with the confidence of winning. This is why this title was so important.

Well done Richard and what a fighting spirit throughout the week.

afterglows
01-05-2013, 05:30 PM
What a week : 8th title, #300 wins :hearts:

It's so great to see him win with this fighting spirit.

Let's hope this give him more confidence.
I also would like him to be more agressive, especially in the important points, on match point that was on a 2nd serve from Davy he did a step back although he usually makes a step forward to reach the baseline on second serves nowadays. He needs to take things in control on decisive points.

But let's focus on the positive right now. He showed plenty of heart right there. Also good defense.

Cloudygirl
01-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Very pleased for him great start to the year!!

Gul
01-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Somebody take this photo I like it nice job:))))

Schu
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
good week for richard! watched the final and was quite impressed with his fight. Davy's flat early hit balls is a bad match up for richie but richard hung in through some great play from davy and came out the winner. richard looked fit and focused. hope the win gives him confidence to play more aggressively.

scmom
01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
what an excellent start to the new year ! So glad to see he fought hard in the match against an opponent who was playing such good tennis all week, And that he did not lose his focus during that
injury timeout . Congrats to Richard !

GasquetGulbis
01-05-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm most impressed that in 2 of his matches he fought back from a set down. That must be great for him, because I'm sure he knows his reputation of choking

ImmzB
01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Allez!!! Great win and a great week for Richard!! 8th ATP title!! Showed great fight throughout the tournament!! Congrats everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

soulage
01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Very interesting week hopefully he will do the best he can in Melbourne.

Quetzal
01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Great week, his court`s attitide really changed, he fights to the last ball, but still very passive on few break points and in
the first set always deep in court on "Qatar". Good draw in Melbourne please :)

ImmzB
01-06-2013, 08:30 PM
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=85695

January 5, 2013

Richard Gasquet

DOHA, QATAR

R. GASQUET/N. Davydenko
3‑6, 7‑6, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Congratulations. How do you feel now?
RICHARD GASQUET: Very happy. It's normal. I win in Doha. It's a big tournament. It's the first of the year.
As I said, a lot of big players won here, like Federer, a lot of big guys, big names.
I'm really happy with the way I played and fight. He was playing fast in the first set. I just try to keep focused and to fight a lot, and I did it. You know, I'm really happy with the way I won. It's important for me to win the final.

Q. How do you see yourself for the Australian Open?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, very good. I think I'm in confidence. When you're winning a tournament like that, it's perfect. I played a lot, so for sure I will be ready for Melbourne.

Q. Did you feel that physically you had more than he did throughout the whole time?
RICHARD GASQUET: I think I was a little bit fresher than him in the third set, but he's playing so fast so he could break me in the second game in the third so everything could happen. He could win, too. We were so close together, so it was a big match, big fight.
I'm really happy to win 6‑3 because it was tough for me.

Q. Do you think the turning point of the match was in the second set when you were down a break point and you could have gone down...
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I think he missed a break point, important one. I think that was the difference, and I played a good game and for sure a big tiebreak. I winning it very close, and then in the third set it was another match. I feel more confidence. Physically it was another match, too.
I fight a lot, as I said. You always want to win the final. You know, it's important for me. I lost a lot of finals in my life, so I wanted to win.

Q. What were your thoughts when he went off with the injury? I mean, you didn't seem too happy that he was taking so much time, but at the same time did you think that maybe when he came back that you had a clear advantage?
RICHARD GASQUET: For sure, I knew it was ‑‑it's never easy, but those are the rules. It's not a big problem for me. I wanted to keep going, to break him in the first game. I couldn't do it. And he could break me in the second game so he could lead 2‑0 and then it's another match. I managed to break him at 3‑2 and 5‑2, and it made the difference.

Q. Davydenko said you beat him physically. Do you think it was actually physically or it was your technique, also?
RICHARD GASQUET: I think physically, for sure. It was a big match, long match. In the third set physically he's coming. I think he was playing unbelievable, and technically he was playing so fast it was tough for me to play.
He was playing with a big backhand, very fast. It's tough when he's playing like that. He's very tough. I tried to do my best. Most important is to fight. I just wanted to do it, and I did it. I won the tiebreak in the second set and I played well in the third.
You know, it was a big fight. I defend a lot, and I run a lot, so as I said, it's important for me to win. It's never the same tournament when you win or if you lose in final.

Q. I read that you pulled out of Sydney. Is that true?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I think, I mean, I want to be careful with elbow and everything. I had a problem in the past. I did five matches here, so I just want to be ready for Melbourne.

Q. But you are feeling fine? It's just precautionary?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I'm feeling fine. I need to recover, to fly well to Melbourne, and we will see.

Mae
01-07-2013, 06:02 AM
I've been meaning to get in here and say Congrats on Richie's new Title! The article above kind of bothered me because of the mention of the elbow. He may have to do a lot of playing at the AO and I wonder how the elbow is going to hold up?

afterglows
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
I've been meaning to get in here and say Congrats on Richie's new Title! The article above kind of bothered me because of the mention of the elbow. He may have to do a lot of playing at the AO and I wonder how the elbow is going to hold up?

The withdrawal from Sydney was only for caution.
I don't think there is anything worrying with the elbow at the moment. He is just mentionning it as a recurrent injury, explaining that's it is not necessary to stress his organism with too much matches.

Anyway, it was obvious that he would pull out from Sydney, he would have been stupid not to.

PinkFeatherBoa
01-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Really encouraging start to the season from Richard, very happy especially with the great fighting qualities shown. :yeah: I also noticed that it wasn't only with his tennis that he showed great will to win but also that he talks a more positive game too...for instance I enjoyed a lot that after his first win he was already talking about getting to the final. What happened to "he's a great playeur", one match at a time Richie huh. He just seems generally more self assured on court lately.

Long may it continue.

afterglows
01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
AO's draw is out.

R1 vs Montanes (H2H 4-0)
R2 vs Falla/Ouanna (1-0 against Falla but a long time ago, never played Josselin)
R3 vs Haas/Nieminen (2-2 against Haas who is 8 years older and whose last two sets were 0-6 0-6 against Richie, 1-0 against Jarkko)
R4 vs Tsonga (4-3 against Jo, but Jo would be the clear favourite here)

This seems like a pretty nice draw :scared:. That scares me a little. Don't mess up Richie!!
I really would like to see Gasquet/Tsonga in the 4th round.

Allez !! Bonne chance !

tami
01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
woohoo - straight sets win against montanes, and i was very impressed with the way he bunkered down and pulled out three game wins to turn a break deficit to winning the first set. even with a VIP showing in his supporter's box (clement, lagardere and his beautiful partner) cheering him on, gasquet didn't quite seem to ever really get settled into the match, often being distracted by the noise that was present in the stadium. it is a little bit funny i guess, you'd think one would want to have the crowd supporting you rather than against you, but gasquet seemed to prefer it if people were just quiet :P i guess the aussie crowd can get a bit excitable at times, but who can blame them, if there were so many blistering cross-court winners, and then some smart netplay that was on display from gasquet!

it is his first match in the australian summer heat, and he managed to pull through comfortably from a physical and tactical point of view, but i hope richie learns to cope with the crowd situation better. looking forward to thursday's second round match!

ImmzB
01-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Good 1st round win! :yeah:

Falla up next on Thursday.

Puschkin
01-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Convincing win against Falla 6-3 6-2 6-2. Again, I could not see anything, but the stats look good: 41 winners, 13 UEs.

ImmzB
01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Allez! :)

Gul
01-19-2013, 03:36 AM
:))))) Love it!

Puschkin
01-19-2013, 03:44 AM
Richard winning without his backhand. ;) Richard started poorly, but turned it on for the rebreak in the second set, from then on Dodig started his collapse, he paid for his five setter in the heat two days ago.

ImmzB
01-19-2013, 04:07 AM
Allez!! :)

Nice comeback from Richard, staying very strong mentally!!

afterglows
01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/extrastats/f_srv_pts_won_ms.html :rocker:

I hope he will continue to serve well. Tsonga isn't the best returner. This could be a advantage in R4.

Allez Richard!! I want to believe!

Nena
01-19-2013, 12:34 PM
:woohoo:

Vlad1980
01-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Richard, please don't become the most pathetic round of 16 player.

Your effort today, against Tsonga was miserable, even worse than against Mayer.

ImmzB
01-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Arrrrgh!!! :(:( Anothet 4th round defeat for Richard!! Tsonga started the match well, dominating play!! Richard did have TBP when Tsonga served for it. Richard started to play better towards the end of the 1st set and he continued this on the 2nd when he got the break. In set 3 & 4 Richard was decent, he was passive and waiting for Jo to make the errors. Not a good match from Richard, I really thought he would step up today. Jo was good in set 1 but after he was just good, Richard missed a chance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Puschkin
01-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Richard missed a chance!

Exactly. Tsonga was only really good in the first three games. After that there was no difference and that's why it went to one set all. Tsonga had a lucky break in the third with two net cords in his favour, but the match was far from decided at that point, Richard, however, lacked conviction and so the outcome was obvious. Indeed a missed opportunity.

ImmzB
01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Richard had chances in all games that Tsonga was serving for to win the set. European Indoor season coming up, Allez Richard!! Put this defeat behind you!! Also any news if Richard will be part of the Davis Cup team against Israel which is next week?

Schu
01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Very disappointing - Richard started off the match 0-40 and things went down from there. Have no idea where the focused, confident, fighting Richard went but he was surly missing in action. I'm beginning to believe that he really doesn't want to go past GS R4.

Tsonga was very beatable but Richard didn't seem to even care. Thought Richard had maybe finally learned how to compete like a top 10 player but not even close.

GasquetFan
01-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Dissapointing performance, another fourth round defeat. Had a great opportunity here against an out of form Tsonga. Richard appeared to have given up completely by the final set.

Vlad1980
01-22-2013, 04:53 AM
Very disappointing - Richard started off the match 0-40 and things went down from there. Have no idea where the focused, confident, fighting Richard went but he was surly missing in action. I'm beginning to believe that he really doesn't want to go past GS R4.

Tsonga was very beatable but Richard didn't seem to even care. Thought Richard had maybe finally learned how to compete like a top 10 player but not even close.

He clearly has some mental block about 4th round right now. I doubt that he doesn't want to compete, he just goes through the motions for some reason. Perhaps it is that losses such as to Murray at Wimbledon in 2008 and to Gonzalez in 5 that did him in, but he is not the same player once he reaches second week.

Of course given the Wawrinka's effort against Djokovic, Richard's performance seems not worthy of top 10 player. Is someone like Wawrinka that much more talented and that much more of a fighter? Or Tipsarevic's fight against Ferrer at last year's US Open (compared to Richard's meek and predictable straight set loss)

There is a reason why Richard has no respect and almost goes unmentioned before he reaches second week. Even now that he is top 10. He has to prove himself