The "So You're Saying It's A Party In Your Pants." Thread 13 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "So You're Saying It's A Party In Your Pants." Thread 13

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Well, when you drop your wife flat and injure her, surely there'll be a few tears shed :p But, seriously having seen it, it was really her own fault. She didn't have the grip properly, and couldn't hold it.

I still haven't seen it but I'll take your word for it.

They're calling it a muscle injury between her thigh and knee..honestly I think she just fell on her bottom too hard :p

I can't see how she could hurt herself so bad :confused:

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 05:17 PM
You clearly have selective memory then :p

or a different definition of tacky :p

Goonergal
02-20-2006, 05:17 PM
On Baggy's AO expoits :p

"How a Cypriot got to be ranked among the world's best defies logic on an island where we eat ourselves fitter."
-- Charlie Charalambous, a columnist for The Cyprus Weekly.

:haha:

Goonergal
02-20-2006, 05:19 PM
I still haven't seen it but I'll take your word for it.

They're calling it a muscle injury between her thigh and knee..honestly I think she just fell on her bottom too hard :p

I can't see how she could hurt herself so bad :confused:

Nah, she fell smackdown right on her side. It was defo a painful one!

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't think they'll skate tonight..especially considering they're out of medal contention.

Goonergal
02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
or a different definition of tacky :p
Ileana, you are tacky jokes personified :p

Goonergal
02-20-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't think they'll skate tonight..especially considering they're out of medal contention.
I agree. Plus, there's no point in making it worse for nothing.

I have to go, bbl for the skating talk :p :wavey:

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Ileana, you are tacky jokes personified :p

I think crude would be a more accurate term..lewd even :p

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 05:28 PM
later :wavey:

Jess
02-20-2006, 05:38 PM
:haha: Just been reading back. Jane your idea of Raunchy Swimming really should be made a sport! Write and suggest it!

I liked the ice dancing. Would have had added drama if the Italians who fell over had actually attacked each other on the ice, she certainly looked like she wanted to hit him!

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, so long as cricket doesn't become a part of "the games"

:lol: well don't worry, it won't and not just for practical reasons such as even the short version of the game going for 8 hours ;)

However, and this is kind of the point, if they were actually applying the principles they claim to apply (eg to kick out baseball), cricket is exactly the kind of sport they would include. It's one of the most popular games in the world in terms of both playing and watching (second to soccer, I read somewhere, and played in far more places than baseball, for example), plus it's huge on the subcontinent and parts of Africa, which don't exactly win a lot of medals at the Olympics.

This is NOT an argument it should be included, BTW - I think the last place cricket beliongs is the Olympics. I'm just illustrating the point ;)

Actually, I'm really only a fan of the faster, higher, longer type sports being there. I don't really think it's the right forum for any kind of team sport which requires many rounds. But that's just me and I'm never likely to be on the IOC ;)

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Canada wins hockey Gold! :bounce:

Some of the American women were partying like they won Gold when they got their bronze medals :lol:

Now that is a positive attitude :yeah: :p

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
:haha: Just been reading back. Jane your idea of Raunchy Swimming really should be made a sport! Write and suggest it!

Hmm, I wonder if HG and Roy are doing a Cwth Games show ... ;)

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Canada wins hockey Gold! :bounce:

:bounce: I assume they were the favourites, but sometimes that makes the win harder to actually achieve :)

Some of the American women were partying like they won Gold when they got their bronze medals :lol:

Now that is a positive attitude :yeah: :p
Excellent, good for them :yeah:

I hope they go give lessons to some of the teams at the summer Olympics - it's fairly nauseating watching a team receive silver medals in hysterical sobs and tears :rolleyes: (not mentioning any names, a certain water polo team ;) )

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 09:14 PM
yeah they were the favorites..but this team even surprised me. They dominated like no team I've seen :eek:

They allowed 2 goals all tournament..and scored like 30+. It was insane. This last win 4-1 was the closest of the whole tournament.

Chesty Larue
02-20-2006, 09:16 PM
The skill level in women's hockey isn't exactly top notch but this Olympics I was watching Canada and I was totally impressed with the amount of skill they have now. Someone's been pushing them hard to improve.

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 09:18 PM
That's great in any sport - it raises the level of the whole event.

Socket
02-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Grishuk/Platov, Usova/Zulin :p

Grishuk & Platov were my fave couple :p
:yeah:

And also good for (melo)drama. :p

Murkofan
02-20-2006, 09:58 PM
See that alone is why it should be kept in the Olympics :p

At one point the top 2 dance teams in the world had some kick ass history. One team used to be married..until the man from that team and the woman from another team cheated together. Both teams broke up and the cheaters paired together and the I suppose jilted pairs joined up. I suppose as justice would have it the jilted pair ended up #1 with the cheaters #2.

What other sport has stuff like that?! :D :p

Omg that's totally what I thinking about :p

Jess
02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
*drags self in before another brain zapping lecture this afternoon*

I don't like my course at the moment.
This is not a good sign. :(

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
The captain of the Australian women's hockey team (the kind you play on grass) once ran off with the captain of the Netherland women's hockey team. Left her husband for her I think, or maybe she was recently divorced.

That was kind of dramatic, but far less sparkly ;)

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Jess :) I never really liked the first month of any course at uni. Took me that long to figure out what it was meant to be about :lol:

BTW I did an exam yesterday :unsure: Really not sure at all how it went.

Jess
02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi :) That's exactly my problem at the moment. I feel like I'm only understanding a tiny percentage of what is being said in most of my classes. Also very daunting just the amount that seems to need to be learnt before assessment. I have to hand an essay in in three weeks time. It could be very short!

Exams are always horrible because you really just don't know. Then you get all the post-mortems from everyone else about what they wrote which I hate! Think positive :)

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Yes, well the worst thing that can happen is I'll fail, I suppose ;) Nothing I can do about it. The main problem is there's a really high pass mark - if it was 50% I'd be confident but when it's high you just don't know if you did enough. I usually hate post mortems too, but yesterday they were kind of consoling because everyone seemed to hate it!

Jess
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah sometimes it's good when everyone comes out saying it was awful. The worst is when people come out skipping saying how easy it was and you just want to cry ;)
Generally I'd rather write an exam than an essay though - at least it's over in a couple of hours. Essays take days :rolleyes:

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
That's true :)

Jess
02-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Although at the moment I just can't motivate myself to do anything.

I want to stay home and play cutting and sticking with Emily :) Ah well only about seven weeks till my next holiday :)

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 10:30 PM
The regularity of holidays has to be the best thing about uni :yeah:

Jess
02-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Definitely! The regularity and the amount of them

I think that's the trouble at the moment - I've just had a really nice three month long holiday, work is a bit of a shock to the system.

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Aww :hug: I remember the feeling

It's good for you and for Emily that you're studying though - keeping your mind active and building a future for yourself :yeah:

Jess
02-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Oh I know. I don't *really* want to be at home all day. It' sjust more fun than science that I don't understand ;) I'll get there. I'm pretty determined to be a doctor one day. It would have to get an awful lot worse to not do it. Just finding it pretty tough at the moment! They've stepped up a lot from last year.

Lisbeth
02-20-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm sure you'll be on top of it by the time it matters :)

Angele
02-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Yay women's hockey team :yeah: Well done girls. I was a little scared about the game today since Sweden had beaten the US who had beaten Canada last year at the world championships. It all worked out ok though... well done girls :bounce:

star
02-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi Jess :) I never really liked the first month of any course at uni. Took me that long to figure out what it was meant to be about :lol:

BTW I did an exam yesterday :unsure: Really not sure at all how it went.

:hug: And I'm sure there is that interminable delay before you do know. :rolleyes:

Lisbeth
02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
:hug: And I'm sure there is that interminable delay before you do know. :rolleyes:

Of course! There is some universal principle that exam results must not be released for weeks or months, even if there's only a really tiny candidature :lol:

sprinterluck
02-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Great thread title. :D

Weir-isms:
"It's all about looking cute when you're working out."
--on his customized Nikes that say "DIRRTY" in homage to his idol Christina Aguilera.

"I love black caviar, but it has to be from Astrakhan."

"I'm an insomniac...Ambien is my best friend."

"Care Bear on acid"
--as he described one of his costumes. :p

ally_014
02-21-2006, 05:32 AM
Oh I know. I don't *really* want to be at home all day. It' sjust more fun than science that I don't understand ;) I'll get there. I'm pretty determined to be a doctor one day. It would have to get an awful lot worse to not do it. Just finding it pretty tough at the moment! They've stepped up a lot from last year.

:hug: Jess, I can imagine what that would be like... last year I had a bit of a crisis of confidence about actually continuing with med, so many people seem to be so much more accomplished than me and having no trouble picking it up but plowing through it kind of made it worth it when I got the results. :) I think you just gotta keep telling yourself it's worth it in the end and do your own thing.

I'm almost dreading the leap we're gonna get this year, it's widely said that 2nd year is the hardest, so Monday's gonna be interesting.

And good luck for your results at that far off time in the future Jane :)

star
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi :) That's exactly my problem at the moment. I feel like I'm only understanding a tiny percentage of what is being said in most of my classes. Also very daunting just the amount that seems to need to be learnt before assessment. I have to hand an essay in in three weeks time. It could be very short!

Exams are always horrible because you really just don't know. Then you get all the post-mortems from everyone else about what they wrote which I hate! Think positive :)

I finally learned to stay away from those exam post-mortems. They always depressed me and convinced me I was wrong wrong wrong, but I usually wound up with good grades anyway, and even when I didn't, I figured there was no percentage in being depressed beforehand. :)

My advice, although advice stinks, is to persevere in your own way and study how you need to study and don't pay too much attention to other people. There are many paths to success and your path has already diverged from that of the common others because you are talking Emily along with you.

star
02-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Here's something Wier to go along with the thread title.

Last night I had a dream about Lleyton. This is a first for me. Lleyton came out onto the court .... very intimate court surrounced on four sides by gleaming white bleachers... sunny day... Lleyton announced that he would not be playing doubles because Kim had been his doubles partner, and because he couldn't play doubles with her any longer he wouldn't be playing doubles again. Wild applause! :yippee: But, he said when the crowd quieted, he would be playing dance doubles! :eek: More wild applause. He went away and reappeared dressed in dark brown slacks and a shirt with small brown and white checks. He was playing with Jelena Jancovic who was dressed in a dark brown rather full skirt and a white top. They came out onto the court holding hands.

And that was it! I never got to see what dance doubles looked like. I think the shock of it woke me up. :) :)

Socket
02-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Here's something Wier to go along with the thread title.

Last night I had a dream about Lleyton. This is a first for me. Lleyton came out onto the court .... very intimate court surrounced on four sides by gleaming white bleachers... sunny day... Lleyton announced that he would not be playing doubles because Kim had been his doubles partner, and because he couldn't play doubles with her any longer he wouldn't be playing doubles again. Wild applause! :yippee: But, he said when the crowd quieted, he would be playing dance doubles! :eek: More wild applause. He went away and reappeared dressed in dark brown slacks and a shirt with small brown and white checks. He was playing with Jelena Jancovic who was dressed in a dark brown rather full skirt and a white top. They came out onto the court holding hands.

And that was it! I never got to see what dance doubles looked like. I think the shock of it woke me up. :) :)
:lol: :lol:

At least he didn't announce that he was playing dance doubles with Johnny Weir. :devil:

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
:yeah:

And also good for (melo)drama. :p

That's right :p :yeah:

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I feel like I'm only understanding a tiny percentage of what is being said in most of my classes.
That's me everyday :p

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 05:30 PM
And me as well :p

Lisbeth
02-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Dance doubles, raunchy swimming ... sport is looking up :banana:

Lisbeth
02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
And me as well :p

I think everyone feels like this sometimes (well, everyone with an iota of self awareness ;) )

Not long ago a colleague who is one of the best lawyers I know (and has been for nearly 20 years) told me he often sits in court thinking everyone is completely on top of what is going on except him! As I said to Jess a little while ago, knowing what you don't know is actually more important than knowing it all :)

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't understand anything either :p

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm a History major and I'm taking an Ancient Civ class right now, and I don't care about any of it :p Should I worry that I don't give a damn about the fertility gods of ancient Ur? :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm a History major and I'm taking an Ancient Civ class right now, and I don't care about any of it :p Should I worry that I don't give a damn about the fertility gods of ancient Ur? :p
Ermm... no? :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Just like I don't give a damn about clamworms or chitons, both of which I just finished dissecting :ras:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Omg, I love clamworms :D :p

I see the US men made it into the QFs, no thanks to anything they did :p I don't know who they play next, but I bet they lose :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:45 PM
The clamworm was gross, though it was mostly just mushy stuff, couldn't really see anything in it. The chiton, on the other hand, kept squirting liquid onto the faces of me and my lab partner :tape:

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:47 PM
The chiton was, I must say, surprisingly disgusting considering when you normally look at it, it's just a shell. You can't see all the gross stuff hidden inside lol

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
The clamworm was gross, though it was mostly just mushy stuff, couldn't really see anything in it. The chiton, on the other hand, kept squirting liquid onto the faces of me and my lab partner :tape:

Oh, that sounds like a lovely experience :p I'm sorry I wasn't there to share it with you :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Oh, that sounds like a lovely experience :p I'm sorry I wasn't there to share it with you :p
Oh yeah, you really would have loved it :p My lab partner was the unlucky one, she could some of it in her mouth :tape: :tape:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah, you really would have loved it :p My lab partner was the unlucky one, she could some of it in her mouth :tape: :tape:

Oh that's disgusting :o :haha:

So how exactly does this relate to pharacology? :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm just in sciences atm, need at least a year of that before doing pharmacy. First year biology, unforetunately, includes two courses: one that's directed towards people in the health sciences, the other directed those interested in botany or anatomy. Right now we're in the second course so all the fun cell stuff is over and we're looking at plants and animals :yawn:

Angele
02-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Off to the grocery store... cya later :wavey:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm just in sciences atm, need at least a year of that before doing pharmacy. First year biology, unforetunately, includes two courses: one that's directed towards people in the health sciences, the other directed those interested in botany or anatomy. Right now we're in the second course so all the fun cell stuff is over and we're looking at plants and animals :yawn:

Plants and animals aren't fun? Minus all the squirty stuff, that is :p

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:05 PM
The womens short prog is really high quality :D

The 2 American girls were really good, Meissner (is that right?) and Emily Hughes did really well. Shame the Hughes girls have such awful noses :p Irina is in the lead :yeah: she was great :D Arakawa in 2nd, she was really good too! And, one of my other faves Fumie Suguri just had a great programme :D

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Great thread title. :D

Weir-isms:
"It's all about looking cute when you're working out."
--on his customized Nikes that say "DIRRTY" in homage to his idol Christina Aguilera.

"I love black caviar, but it has to be from Astrakhan."

"I'm an insomniac...Ambien is my best friend."

"Care Bear on acid"
--as he described one of his costumes. :p
I so need to put some weir-isms in my sig :p

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Tsk, Carolina Kostner (Lambiel's best friend/ex) just fell :(

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Better Weir than Simpsons :p

Has Cohen gone yet?

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Here's Sasha Cohen, make sure you fall on your ass, Sasha :D :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Plants and animals aren't fun? Minus all the squirty stuff, that is :p
They're very boring... at least for me they are. It's getting slightly better now that we're into animals but we started off with bacteria and archea which was horrible. Then with got into eukaryotic stuff but started with protists and fungi and stuff, not very interesting. Some of the actual plants are ok but we there's just so much pointless stuff to memorize that it's pretty boring.

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Omg I love fungi eukaryotes :D :p

Fall Cohen fall! :woohoo:

Angele
02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Omg I love fungi eukaryotes :D :p

Please tell me you're kidding :p

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Tsk, she went clean :rolleyes: I think she may be in 1st :fiery:

Angele
02-21-2006, 09:18 PM
What's with your nickname Cilla?

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Cohen :fiery: I'm not looking forward to hearing Dick Button lavish praise on her the face Mary Carillo does on PN :rolleyes: :p

Please tell me you're kidding :p

Lol of course :p Although, strangely, I do remember things about them and prokaryotes from my high school classes :p

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:20 PM
What's with your nickname Cilla?
It was a dare to change it to something stupid :p

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Cohen :fiery: I'm not looking forward to hearing Dick Button lavish praise on her the face Mary Carillo does on PN :rolleyes: :p

1) Cohen :rolleyes: :fiery: 66.73
2) Slutskaya 66.70
3) Arakawa 66.02

Angele
02-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Lol of course :p Although, strangely, I do remember things about them and prokaryotes from my high school classes :p

Ok you had me worried there for a minute :p I can't imagine how people major in biology, I think I would pull my hair out lol

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:23 PM
It was a dare to change it to something stupid :p

I think you won :p

sprinterluck
02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Shame the Hughes girls have such awful noses :p Irina is in the lead :yeah: she was great :D Arakawa in 2nd, she was really good too! And, one of my other faves Fumie Suguri just had a great programme :D

The past few American gold medalists have been fugly: Tara Lipinsky (eeeew) and Sarah Hughes. You're right about the awful nose, but Emily got it worse with a thick body like Tonya Harding.

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
I think you won :p
Woot :p

When did Kim say the quote in your sig? :p

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:26 PM
The past few American gold medalists have been fugly: Tara Lipinsky (eeeew) and Sarah Hughes. You're right about the awful nose, but Emily got it worse with a thick body like Tonya Harding.
:lol:

Though, I have to say, I think Emily is prettier than Sarah :p Sarah was in the crowd hooting & hollering for lil sis :p

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Have to go, got an early start tomorrow! :wavey:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:32 PM

:o :spit:

I don't remember what medal she got, but Nancy Kerrigan is fugly :p Kristi Yamaguchi was cute though :D

When did Kim say the quote in your sig?

After the AO SF :p Google "Clijsters asshole" :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 09:33 PM
cya Cilla :wavey:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
:lol:

Though, I have to say, I think Emily is prettier than Sarah :p Sarah was in the crowd hooting & hollering for lil sis :p

Sarah had a fugly haircut at Salt Lake :p

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Ok you had me worried there for a minute :p I can't imagine how people major in biology, I think I would pull my hair out lol

I think I would pull the professor's hair out :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I think I would pull the professor's hair out :p
She's got this really high pitched voice, and we always have class in the morning, and just sometimes, I feel like hitting her :p

sprinterluck
02-21-2006, 09:43 PM
:o :spit:
I don't remember what medal she got, but Nancy Kerrigan is fugly :p Kristi Yamaguchi was cute though :D
After the AO SF :p Google "Clijsters asshole" :p

Fugly + Gold = Lipinsky, Sarah Hughes

Fugly + Silver = Nancy Kerrigan

Fugly and no medal (yet) = Emily Hughes (currently 7th place in Turino)

Cute + Gold = Kristi Yamaguchi

Ooh, Kimmie said a bad word. :p

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
She's got this really high pitched voice, and we always have class in the morning, and just sometimes, I feel like hitting her :p

Go for it :p You won't get expelled or anything :p

Ooh, Kimmie said a bad word. :p

It was funny :p

Angele
02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Well I am off to work on a chem lab and, if I can muster up some motivation, study for my calculus exam. Later :wavey:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Calculus :tape:

Chesty Larue
02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
1) Cohen :rolleyes: :fiery: 66.73
2) Slutskaya 66.70
3) Arakawa 66.02

If it makes you feel any better I'm sure she'll crack under the pressure :p

Socket
02-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Go Sasha!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Pff Marlene :p

Here's hoping :p

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Jane, where are you? I miss you :sad:

Socket
02-21-2006, 11:37 PM
She's a ballerina on ice -- I love her! :inlove:

Murkofan
02-21-2006, 11:52 PM
I see Jane as more of a raunchy swimmer myself :p

Chesty Larue
02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
ugh there's a real knee slapper :p

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 12:31 AM
You just don't like it 'cause it wasn't dirrty enough for you :p

Angele
02-22-2006, 12:37 AM
I have zero motivation... can't even manage a few hours of chem/calculus without just wanting to give up :ras:

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 12:54 AM
You should get drunk :p

Angele
02-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Maybe on the weekend... or on thursday, after my last exam :p

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Dunno about you, but I'm already ready for Spring Break :p

Angele
02-22-2006, 01:08 AM
What are you doing for spring break? I'm just going home so there's not much to get ready :p

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 01:30 AM
I will be staying home and vegetating, with any luck :p

Okay, so, I have to write this paper on slavery for my Historical Methods class...but I don't know what to write :p For all the non-Americans, is any like sub-set of slavery you'd like to know about? I'm really stumped on what to cover.

Angele
02-22-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm embarassed to admit that I know nothing about slavery outside of Canada and the US, so I'm really not sure.

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 01:49 AM
I need 20 sources, so I have to think of how easy or hard that will be when picking a topic...I was thinking maybe how slavery affected the polictics of the antebellum period? Or maybe some of the slave traders, and what went into kidnapping Africans and bringing them across the ocean to be auctioned off.

*ponders*

Angele
02-22-2006, 01:51 AM
I think the kidnapping of Africans sounds like it could be interesting and informative... so could the political side, but I'm not much into politics.

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 01:54 AM
I'll have to go poke around in the library and see which I think will give me more to work with :p

At least none of them will squirt anything on me :p

Angele
02-22-2006, 01:56 AM
*shudders* don't remind me :p

How detailed do each of your sources need to be? I usually take most of my information from a handful of sources ( say, 7 or 8) and just use small facts and tidbits from the others, but I've never had to write a paper with more than 15 resources.

Lisbeth
02-22-2006, 01:57 AM
Jane, where are you? I miss you :sad:

Aww, sorry pet. I'll be around a lot more from next week onwards :)

Lisbeth
02-22-2006, 01:58 AM

Only if you want their help :cool:

Angele
02-22-2006, 01:59 AM
Anyways I am off to bed :yawn:

Goodnight Marly... and goodmorning Jane :wavey:

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Sorry :p

Erm, there's not a minimum required length for the paper anywhere on my syllabus, so I guess that kind of depends on that. If that makes any sense :p

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 02:04 AM
:wavey: Ange

Only if you want their help :cool:

Funny :p

star
02-22-2006, 04:42 AM
I will be staying home and vegetating, with any luck :p

Okay, so, I have to write this paper on slavery for my Historical Methods class...but I don't know what to write :p For all the non-Americans, is any like sub-set of slavery you'd like to know about? I'm really stumped on what to cover.

There is a facinating area of slavery in the moslem world. The Janassaries and the Mamalukes were warriors but they were slaves. They couldn't be part of the warrior group unless they had grown up slaves. They were sold in to slavery as children, raised moslems, and usually were quite fervernt moslems. They could rise to great power. In Egypt the Mamalukes were the rulers, but their sons did not inherit power, instead another Mamaluke who had been sold into slavery as a child took the ruler's place. The children mostly came from Georgia in the case of the Mamalukes, but generally from the Cacacsus region.

Even though slaves they fought zealously for their adpopted homelands.

I think also Roman slavery is intersting too.

star
02-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Cohen was lovely tonight. I thought Slutskaya was impressive too, but even so Cohen I thought should have been scored more than .03 ahead of Slutskaya. Slutskaya has beautiful jumps, but her spins and spirals weren't as good. I was really happy about the two young American girls. I don't see Emily as ever being great. Her jumps are so low. I have hopes for Meisner developing but she's not there yet. It will all be so different next year when that young Japanese girl who is so good will be able to compete. It's a great time in figure skating.

Goonergal
02-22-2006, 12:23 PM
She had better :p :fiery: Irina can't be 2nd best again :sad:

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Has to be on slavery in America.

Cohen :rolleyes: :p

Goonergal
02-22-2006, 12:38 PM
I have my own essay problems, I have an essay to write on two of Salman Rushide's novels :p Novels that I haven't finished reading yet :p I really should be doing that now :p

star
02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Has to be on slavery in America.

Cohen :rolleyes: :p

You didn't say that. :p :p

You could write about how the ending of the slave import from Africa affected slavery. How about looking at slavery in Texas? How about the impact of the frontier on slavery? Another interesting essay might be done on slave housing and feeding. I think there's quite a bit on this, and it's something most people sort of overlook or don't want to look at. There's a short book on personal reminiences of slavery called "To Be a Slave" that I read recently that was quite good and touched on housing.

Edit: I just read about the idea of kidnapping Africans. That's interesting too and To Be a Slave has some people talking about their entry into slavery, and transport to the Americas.

I wish someone would write a really wonderful book comparing slave traditions and systems in different civilizations, continents, etc.

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 12:50 PM
I have my own essay problems, I have an essay to write on two of Salman Rushide's novels :p Novels that I haven't finished reading yet :p I really should be doing that now :p

Yeah, that would probably be a smart idea :p

Socket
02-22-2006, 02:06 PM
For the Johnny Weir fans, from today's Washington Post.
Drop Till You Shop
For Skater Johnny Weir, the Gold Is in the Bag. A Louis Vuitton, That Is.

By Libby Copeland
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 22, 2006; C01

TURIN, Italy -- Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir has been out shopping every day, shopping so much that the Louis Vuitton store here, which he affectionately calls "Louie" and which he's visited six or seven times since arriving two weeks ago, paid for his cab recently when he was leaving.

" 'Cause I'm nice," he explains.

Because he's nice, or because he drops a lot of money?

"Well, both," he says.

He is nice. And charming. And so thin he buys children's sizes when he shops at Lacoste. And loaded down with money from skating shows like "Champions on Ice." And great at getting discounts. And capable of spending $1,330 in two hours, which is what he did Monday on his daily shopping trip.

He knows the staff in the high-end stores of central Turin. He knows who's having sales and who moved around their merchandise in the few days since he was last in the store. It's a rush to watch him spend -- reckless and freeing, like shooting tequila in the morning.

"I like to shop," Johnny says.

So far, Weir, 21, who came in fifth in the men's figure skating competition for the U.S. team last week (but first in matters of beauty and brashness), has bought the following items here: five pairs of shoes, a pair of rabbit fur hand warmers, a Dolce & Gabbana hoodie he says reads "Sex trainer: Best to practice seven days a week," and a sable scarf that was supposed to be $715 but was instead $415 because he spoke French with the saleslady.

Ah, the fabulousness that is Johnny Weir! The fur collars! The special deals! His absolute favorite item of clothing is a Roberto Cavalli beaver-and-python coat. He is also proud that the "Louie" in Boston "pre-sold me a bag before it was allowed to be released," he says. "I'm the first person in the entire world to have this bag."

Before starting the day's shopping, he meets us for cappuccino at a cafe near the Olympic Village wearing the aforementioned rabbit hand warmers, a Fendi scarf, True Religion jeans, which are his favorite brand ("I like how my butt looks in them"), a black leather coat with some sort of fur collar, and recently purchased red John Galliano sneakers, "new for this season," which were supposed to be $416 but which he got for about $120 because the store's credit card machine was broken, and "I made a scene because I had to walk to an ATM."

He compliments our earrings and orders a biscuit, which is all -- aside from an orange -- that he will eat today, at least until 6 p.m.

Johnny Weir says he is very spiritual. It is true that he adores the celebrity rag Us Weekly and that he's currently reading a book by too-thin, too-blond starlet Nicole Richie. But he also has a deeper side. He says he's been obsessed with the Holocaust since he was little and considers himself "a little bit" Jewish, although he isn't, not technically. He says he's had his past lives read and found out that most recently he was a Jewish girl from Poland during World War II.

"I mean, it makes sense if you think about it," he says. "Like, what 4-year-old gets into learning about how 6 million people were exterminated?"

Around his neck, Johnny wears three chains with a knotted mess of pendants, including two Stars of David, an Israeli army dog tag, an Italian horn to protect him from the mal occhio , or evil eye, a miraculous medal of Mary, and the letter D, which stands for the Christina Aguilera song "Dirrty," because Christina Aguilera is his role model.

"I don't take them off ever and I don't untangle them because, like, their powers are all hidden in this knot," he says.

He is beautiful in what he calls an "androgynous" way; dark-lipped and hazel-eyed, with long lashes that curl perfectly up. He is 5 feet 9 and 125 pounds, with body fat "in the death levels," at 5.5 percent. His skin is pale and lovely.

"I'm breaking out really bad," he says, and points to one tiny little almost-zit.

He finishes his biscuit and we take the tram to the high-end shopping district around Via Roma. He heads into a eyewear store and tries on a pair of Dior sunglasses encrusted with rhinestones that, at nearly $1,200, he decides are too expensive. Besides, he already has this pair without the rhinestones, he says. Besides, he already has 45 pairs of Dior sunglasses.

He wanders around inside. "They have the Dior ski goggles," he says with awe.

Sitting down to arrange the laces on his new sneakers (whose laces he refuses to tie but instead carefully wraps and tucks in elaborate fashion), Johnny spots a pair of $320 Roberto Cavalli shades. He gives them to the saleslady to ring up. This, he says, will bring his sunglasses collection to 103 pairs, which he keeps arranged in drawers according to designer.

"I take care of them all," he says. "I have to polish them."

Weir considers clothes and handbags and sunglasses his children. In his closet, "certain designers get a black hanger and certain designers get a white hanger, and they're hung in order of designer and then color." He believes in buying real designer stuff; when he sees someone with a knockoff handbag, "it hurts my feelings," he says.

He opens his Louis Vuitton bag, which has inside it the following items: a Louis Vuitton camera bag and a cell phone with three fur tails hanging off it (one beaver, two mink). There is also a Gucci change purse, inside of which he keeps a spoon that has been twisted three times, of which Johnny will only speak mysteriously: "It's mystical," he says. "There are powers in it."

He takes out a baby blue Balenciaga wallet and removes a MasterCard, which he hands to the saleslady. "My bank always thinks that my card's stolen so they'll put a block on it sometimes," he says. "Drives me crazy."

The Olympics may be the only time America pays any attention to figure skating, but in truth the Olympics are not how someone like Johnny Weir pays for his expensive children. He says he makes six figures a year through exhibition skates. He's promised to pay his 17-year-old brother's college tuition. He buys his mother handbags. He grew up somewhere between working and middle class in rural Pennsylvania, the son of a secretary and a nuclear power plant technician, and sometimes he wonders if he buys so much because he grew up with not so much. Even when he goes to the supermarket, he says, he buys more yogurt than he needs, "just in case it goes away."

In any case, he's got these great sunglasses now. He steps outside the store.

Next, he tries on a pair of $450 Dior jeans, which, he decides, do not make him look "bootylicious," desires but restrains himself from buying a $1,225 handbag, and compliments a salesman who, he notes, has been to the tanning salon since the last time Johnny saw him.

He buys three candles for $160. He feels these will liven up his dreary Olympic quarters.

Next, Johnny makes a trip to the ATM because he fears he may be nearing the limit on his credit card. He proceeds to "Louie," where the salesman -- who waits on Johnny every time he comes in -- goes down to the stockroom to retrieve a bag he thinks Johnny will like.

"You want try, Johnny?" he asks.

Johnny does want try. Johnny like. It is a messenger bag, remarkably similar to the Louis Vuitton messenger bag Johnny happens to be carrying on his shoulder today, but Johnny says this one is slightly different and he wants it. What else does he want? He thumbs though the store catalogue with the expertise of a radiologist looking at X-rays.

"The squash?" asks the salesman, pointing to something called a squash bag, listed at $1,400.

"No, I have the squash," Johnny says.

He also has: nearly 40 pieces of Louis Vuitton luggage. A Louis Vuitton hatbox and a Louis Vuitton mini steamer trunk, and a Louis Vuitton doggy carrying case, which his dog did not like ("he peed in it"), so Johnny returned it and got another bag for himself. He has all the beautiful things a young man who believes in beauty could want. Someday, he says, he wants to go to college, become a fashion designer. There is so much he wants to do, he says, he doesn't know how to get it all done.

In the meantime, he says, he will skate till his body gives out, probably by the time he's 25, and he won't get so down about not doing better in the Olympics. There will be another, and besides, "it's just the Olympics," and besides, it was fate. Maybe he did poorly because he was mean to someone at some point in the past, he says. He tries hard to be nice to everyone.

The Louis Vuitton bag costs about $845, or 710 euros.

Johnny pulls out the sum total of what he took from the ATM: 800 euros, just enough to pay for the bag. This is a sign.

"I guess I was subconsciously supposed to get this one," he says. "See how that works?"

He lines the money up next to him in piles.

After he pays, he asks the salesman to give him a phone number so he can call and find out when the store gets something new in. After all, he is leaving Turin on Saturday, and there is so much he has yet to buy.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Angele
02-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Ugh :ras: Such a dissapointing result from the guys. After the round robin they played I can't say I'm surprised, but it's still dissapointing. They never should have put themselves in this position in the first place :(

Angele
02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Oh a much happier though, Brad Gushue and his team got their act together and are on their way to the final :bounce:

Chesty Larue
02-22-2006, 09:21 PM
I must say I'm impressed Canada might actually reach their goal of 25 medals at Torino.

I believe sports illustrated predicted 20 medals for Canada.

We've already passed our Salt Lake city record which was 17 medals :D

With 18 medals (19 since Gushue is either a Gold or Silver) to date and some more short track speed skating coming I could see it coming close.

After the beginning of the first week where many favorites disappointed I didn't think they'd come close. Well done boys and girls ;)

Angele
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm so, so excited about Brad :D :bounce: When he made that shot in the 9th end, I was jumping up and down and screaming. My roommate thought I was crazy until I explained that I actually have an interest in the team beyond the fact that they're representing Canada at the Olympics lol Only prooved that he doesn't listen to me when I talked though, I whined about not being able to see Brad and company the entire week and a half of the trials lol

Jess
02-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Hellooo :)

Angele
02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey Jess :wavey: Caught me at a bad time, I was just about to head off and study for my calculus exam :ras: But I can extend my break for another 15 minutes or so!

How are you?

Murkofan
02-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I just saw Cohen's short program on Olympic Ice, and was it my imagination, or did she yell "Fuck yeah!" after she finished? :p

I think it's really funny Shaun White has the hots for Cohen :p Who opted not to practice at all today :aplot:

Angele
02-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Sorry I ran out on you earlier Jess. One of my friend's who's in my psych class had a few questions about our exam tomorrow and came over to see if I could help him. Hope your class went well, and it wasn't too disgusting. I'm sure you did great though :yeah:

Yasmine
02-23-2006, 05:48 PM
:wavey: I once again feel so bad I don't come here often enough, because I truly enjoy the atmosphere here and like everyone who post here. I just am having a pretty busy period and have a lot on my mind at the moment, which means not always easy and even pretty rough at times :sad:... So I'm really sorry I haven't been here much, I miss you all and hope you're all well :hug: :kiss:

Socket
02-23-2006, 06:02 PM
:wavey: I once again feel so bad I don't come here often enough, because I truly enjoy the atmosphere here and like everyone who post here. I just am having a pretty busy period and have a lot on my mind at the moment, which means not always easy and even pretty rough at times :sad:... So I'm really sorry I haven't been here much, I miss you all and hope you're all well :hug: :kiss:
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Angele
02-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Yas :hug: Sorry you're having a tough time atm. Hopefully things get better, and less busy, soon. You're missed here too :kiss:

Angele
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
I've got to spread the rep around before I can give more to you Yas :( But :hug: none the less. And i'm doing ok, although better now since I wrote my two last midterm exams today and am going home tomorrow, to see my goddaugter and little cousin. Got an exam back today as well, good result for me, 87 in philosophy.

Jess
02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
:wavey:

:woohoo: for you mark and finsihing your exams Ange :d :bounce:

Yasmine
02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Good for your exam Angele! :banana: (right I'm leaving that window open so I make sure I speak to you all a bit tonight:p)

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Aww Mira Leung is such a cutie :angel:

The little 16 year old is putting it down at her first Olympics ;)

She's a determined little thing :p during her long program she made two mistakes..doubling one of the triples and singling her axel..she obviously figured she was gonna try to fix that as in the last 30 seconds or so of her program she landed a triple-double..then decided to throw in a triple-double-double :p

The Canadian commentator was laughing after the last combo..I guess figuring well why not :p

Anyhoo clean short and personal best in the long program..good stuff Mira :yeah:

Jess
02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Hope your class went well, and it wasn't too disgusting. I'm sure you did great though :yeah:

It wasn't actually quite as disgusting as I thought it might have been. (We were looking at a dead body for the first time this morning as part of our medical studies module :eek: ) We'd all wound each other up a bit before we went in and were all being a bit girly and silly about it.
But to be honest once it started it was actually really interesting. Much less gross than I thought it would be.

Jess
02-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Aww Mira Leung is such a cutie :angel:

The little 16 year old is putting it down at her first Olympics ;)

She's a determined little thing :p during her long program she made two mistakes..doubling one of the triples and singling her axel..she obviously figured she was gonna try to fix that as in the last 30 seconds or so of her program she landed a triple-double..then decided to throw in a triple-double-double :p

The Canadian commentator was laughing after the last combo..I guess figuring well why not :p

Anyhoo clean short and personal best in the long program..good stuff Mira :yeah:

I just saw her - that smile is gorgeous!

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
It wasn't actually quite as disgusting as I thought it might have been. (We were looking at a dead body for the first time this morning as part of our medical studies module :eek: ) We'd all wound each other up a bit before we went in and were all being a bit girly and silly about it.
But to be honest once it started it was actually really interesting. Much less gross than I thought it would be.

eek! dead body :bolt:

Jess
02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
that was my first reaction too. unfortunately they're kind of a course requirement!

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 06:40 PM
As I'm sure they should be ;)

me I didn't even particularly like dissecting a fetal pig in biology in high school :p

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 06:42 PM
ugh I feel all crappy and fleghmy :( if you cure the common cold I'll be very grateful Jess ;) :p

Jess
02-23-2006, 06:44 PM
I'll work on it ;)

Ooh hungarian skater just fell - our commentators are being very bitchy tonight.

Jess
02-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Although even I think this is a poor performance - and i just like watching it - i don't actually know very much about it.

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
I'll work on it ;)

Ooh hungarian skater just fell - our commentators are being very bitchy tonight.

According to our commentators her strong suit is her jumping :o :p

Jess
02-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Yes that's what ours seem to think as well. Not on this evidence.

Yasmine
02-23-2006, 07:20 PM
everyone here watching the ladies figure skating so I see :p

Jess
02-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Yep - quite enjoying it as well :)

Jess
02-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Cohen just threw away her gold medal......

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:19 PM
:wavey: ladies

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:19 PM
As I'm sure they should be ;)

me I didn't even particularly like dissecting a fetal pig in biology in high school :p
Neither did I, I thought it was so cute :o

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Glad it went well... the worst of it is probably leading up to it and the first shock of actually working with a dead body. I can imagine it's fascinating though!

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Cohen just threw away her gold medal......

And how :p

They talk about her stepping out of Michelle's shadow but at this point it's more like stumbles out of her shadow :o :p

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Not really a fan of Cohen either, glad she's not getting the gold. Irina really deserves it though.

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:26 PM
How did Joannie skate?

Jess
02-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Slutskaya's still going to have to work for it - the Japanese girl hasn't done much wrong.

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Ooh very nice program from Arakawa.

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Slutskaya's still going to have to work for it - the Japanese girl hasn't done much wrong.
Yeah I know, Arakawa is very good. I meant that Irina is the most deserving of winning though, didn't mean to make it sound like she already had it won, although now I see that's what it sounds like lol

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Arakawa's got this thing wrapped up I think..which I'm cool with. I like her :D

Joannie was great Ange :) She had a great performance..just a couple of small mistakes. She'll finish no lower than 6th I believe.

Jess
02-23-2006, 08:35 PM
These other japanese girl doesn't look too shabby either - although a couple of doubles rather than triples..

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Arakawa's got this thing wrapped up I think..which I'm cool with. I like her :D

Joannie was great Ange :) She had a great performance..just a couple of small mistakes. She'll finish no lower than 6th I believe.
I like Arakawa too, more than Irina, but I think Irina is really deserving of an Olympic gold medal. She's been so dominant for so long, it just seems right somehow that she should win, although it's gonna be tough for her, especially skating last.

Glad Joannie did well :)

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
If Irina can take the gold then more power to her..but the margin for error is pretty freaking small..it'll be tough.

Angele
02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Not official yet, scores have to come up, but Arakawa's got a gold medal. Congrats to her.

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Well done by Arakawa :D She threw down the gauntlet :p

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Joannie finishes 5th :D and Mira 12th :yeah:

Angele
02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Joannie finishes 5th :D and Mira 12th :yeah:
Definetly good results for them :D

Goonergal
02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Omg, Irina :rolleyes: :sad: :fiery: But, Shizu was awesome & fully deserved the gold :yeah: It was great to see Cohen crumble yet again :p but some of the gloss is taken off it, as she got the silver & Irina only got the bronze :rolleyes:

Angele
02-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Off to cook supper... later :wavey:

Goonergal
02-23-2006, 09:11 PM
These other japanese girl doesn't look too shabby either - although a couple of doubles rather than triples..
Fumie Suguri :hearts: she is just the cutest :hearts:

I like Arakawa too, more than Irina, but I think Irina is really deserving of an Olympic gold medal. She's been so dominant for so long, it just seems right somehow that she should win, although it's gonna be tough for her, especially skating last.
Indeed. Going last was not beneficial for Irina, especially after Arakawa's skate. Irina is not that great under pressure. It's a real shame, as will be her last games :sad: I was impressed with the Georgian girl :eek: besides the fact that she screwed up 2 of her jumps :p she has got talent!

Edit: Plushenko said he was going to stick around until Vancouver 2010 :fiery: :rolleyes:

Goonergal
02-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Btw, Suguri was robbed imo, Cohen fell twice & still got the sliver :rolleyes: :tape:

Omg, I'm just watching ER and Deux was just on :eek: as a panic stricken mother who's child is injured :haha: :tape:

Goonergal
02-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Deux's character just ran to get her son from a burning building, and the building has just exploded :tape: :p

Goonergal
02-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Sweden won the women's curling against Switzerland with the very last stone :eek: The 2nd Olympics in a row that the Swiss have lost like that :o :tape:

The British men will play for the bronze. They lost their semi final with the last stone too :sad: :fiery:

Goonergal
02-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Reading back, glad you got a good mark in your exam Ange :)

Jess
02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
:lol: I don't watch ER but it would be worth seeing just to see Serena's attempts at acting. Please tell me it's as outrageouly horrific as I'm imagining ;)

Chesty Larue
02-23-2006, 10:50 PM
She dies :p but it's off screen :(

Lisbeth
02-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Yay Angele :aparty:

I've finished my exams now too :banana: Trying not to think about the results :lol:

Lisbeth
02-24-2006, 01:58 AM
:yippee: for Alissa Camplin's bronze! And a great big thumbs up for her for being so excited and happy about winning bronze even being the defending champion :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

ally_014
02-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Alisa was amazing, it was lovely to see her reaction to coming third which is something you don't really see that much in professional sport these days. :)

Jess, aren't the cadavers cool! Once you get past the initial weirdness that it's an actual person, it's amazing how everything fits and works together and how it actually looks like stuff does in the books... we get to do the torso and abdomen this year, last year we only did the limbs. I can't wait to get back into it.

And congrats to all exam-finishers :yeah: (87 is amazing Ange :bigclap: )

star
02-24-2006, 11:52 AM
I've heard the Japanese didn't even send their most talented skater because she's still too young -- 14 or 15 I believe. That's kind of scary because the ones they did send were very good. Arakawa skated a lovely, if subdued, program. She, by far, deserved the gold. :)

Irina has had a good career. I remember her when she was first competing on the international level long ago. How old was she? Not more than 16, and I think, even younger. She was a little tomboy rebel, and didn't like all the makeup other skaters wore and refused to wear any herself. She had amazing jumps, but something happened and she disappeared for awhile only to reappear reincarnated as a woman. :) :) I've always had a soft spot for her.

Cohen :sad: She is simply too nervous in pressured competition. There's no one with her quality in skating, but it makes no difference if she can't stand up. She didn't expect to even medal after that performance, so a silver was a relief I'm sure.

6th and 7th for the baby USians.

I thought the Canadian skater did well too.

Murkofan
02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Bwahahaha Cohen :haha:

Angele
02-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Another exam result this morning, 91.5% in chemistry :D :bounce: The rest of my results are going to be a lot lower than the ones I got already but no matter, I'll only get those after the break... for now I can be happy lol

Jess
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Jess, aren't the cadavers cool! Once you get past the initial weirdness that it's an actual person, it's amazing how everything fits and works together and how it actually looks like stuff does in the books... we get to do the torso and abdomen this year, last year we only did the limbs. I can't wait to get back into it.

And congrats to all exam-finishers :yeah: (87 is amazing Ange :bigclap: )

Are you in your second year then? Yes they are kind of fascinating in a weird kind of way. We did just general sciences last year so only saw my first body this week. We're just doing very general stuff at the moment. Detailed bits comes next semester.

And Ange :eek: So much for not being very confident in your exams! 87 and 91.5 sound pretty good to me!

Chesty Larue
02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
So I guess Newfoundland is pretty much shut down now since the curling final is on :p

I love the Finnish skip's name.. Markku Uusipaavalniemi :p

His last name sounds like someone sneezed and decided to keep it :p

Murkofan
02-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Leave it to you to come up with a bizarre comparison like that, Ile :p

Btw, bought The Usual Suspects on DVD the other day, since I haven't seen it yet :p

Chesty Larue
02-24-2006, 09:19 PM
ooh Usual Suspects :D

Kaiser Soze :bolt:

Goonergal
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
I love the Finnish skip's name.. Markku Uusipaavalniemi :p
Is that name for real? :eek: :lol:

I guess it's in a similar vein to Apu Nahasapeemapetilan :p

The British curlers lost out one bronze, 8-6 :sad:

Goonergal
02-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Keyser Soze! :worship:

Goonergal
02-24-2006, 10:13 PM
:lol: I don't watch ER but it would be worth seeing just to see Serena's attempts at acting. Please tell me it's as outrageouly horrific as I'm imagining ;)
It was kind of cringeworthy, but it's Deux, so I didn't expect anything less :p

Ile-I did hoot with laughter as it was revealed Deux's character had perished off screen :p I bet Deux was pissed she didn't get her grand finale :p

Chesty Larue
02-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Or she did film a grand finale and they cut it cause it sucked too much :p

ally_014
02-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Are you in your second year then? Yes they are kind of fascinating in a weird kind of way. We did just general sciences last year so only saw my first body this week. We're just doing very general stuff at the moment. Detailed bits comes next semester.

And Ange :eek: So much for not being very confident in your exams! 87 and 91.5 sound pretty good to me!

Yeah, start second year on Monday. Last year in Bio, which was like a quarter of our mark we just went through each system in turn but in Anatomy we only did arms and legs. (FYI there are 101 muscles all up to learn in those parts :p) So do you not get to do actual med till you've done a year first? That sounds like a good system so you can get a taste and still have a choice. :)

ally_014
02-25-2006, 09:25 AM
And Serena on a 'serious' tv show? :tape: Can't wait till that screens in Aus :p

Chesty Larue
02-25-2006, 11:04 AM
She's actually been on a couple :o

She had a part in Law and Order: SVU as well..she was a basketball player :p fortunatly that was awhile ago since recently I don't think she would be able to jump her big mac laden butt too high off the ground :tape: :p

Don't mind me I'm just miserable and cranky cause I'm sick and haven't slept all night :( :p

Lisbeth
02-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Listen up hatahs: Serena is a world entertainer. Of course she has to be on serious TV shows. Her fans need to see her.

(It's not like they ever see her on, say, a tennis court :tape: )

Lisbeth
02-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Hope this illness is not serious, Ileana :hug:

Chesty Larue
02-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Hope this illness is not serious, Ileana :hug:

No just a nagging cold. My stuffed up sinuses and runny nose kept me awake. I slept for a few hours now so I'm not as cranky :p

Murkofan
02-26-2006, 02:54 AM
New thread title in honor of the Canadians kicking arse :cool:

Murkofan
02-26-2006, 02:56 AM
:haha: @ all the Deux acting talk, btw :p

I have been writing mid-term papers and I'm :crazy:

Ashie_87
02-26-2006, 05:16 AM
Can someone pleeeeeease explain curling to me? I've been watching it for like the last week and don't have a clue:p

jusjctin
02-26-2006, 07:19 AM
I love the curling! First time I really watched it. I think it had something to do with it being on every nbc brother/sister channel for two weeks. All I know is that the middle circle in the "bull's eye" is called the "button" and I think everyone wants to get as close to it as possible. So they try to knock each other out and I think each team gets points based on how many of their curling thingys(scientific term) are in the bull's eye at the end of each little period in which there are 10. I'm probably wrong though. I still have trouble following it.

Murkofan
02-26-2006, 07:41 AM
Omg, that's exactly why I became obsessed with curling too! :p It was on USA and/or MSNBC every morning when I woke up :p And now that it's gone, I have nothing to watch :fiery: :p

But sorry, I can't explain it, as I don't fully understand it myself :p

Angele
02-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Ooh curling :bounce: Your explanation was pretty good jusjctin, I'll just add a fews things about the scoring. In every end ( which are the periods, 10 in normal match) each team gets to throw 8 rocks so that makes for16 rocks thrown in each end. They throw them alternatively, so team A throws one, then team B throws one, and so on. The team who gets to throw the very last one has last rock, which is called the hammer. Only one team can score per end, and that is the team who's rock is closest to the button however it must be in the rings to score. If there are no rocks in the rings, then we say that end was blanked, nobody gets any points. OK now for actual scoring. Like I said, the team with the rock closest to the button scores, but the number of points they get depends on all the other rocks in play. Let's say team A has the rock closest to the button. If the second closest rock is from team B, then team A only scores one point. If there are two team A rocks closest to the button, then a team B rock, they would score two. So basically the start counting from the button and move outwards until they get to a rock by the other team, which is when they stop counting points. In the next end, the team who didn't score gets the hammer. If nobody scored, the same who had the hammer keeps it.

It sounds a little complicated once you write it down but you get used to it pretty quickly!

Lisbeth
02-26-2006, 08:41 PM
:wavey: I'm going to be around most days this week so why not come and talk to me everyone :hatoff: :kiss:

Curling ... I'm afraid I have to admit that after the first two minutes, which I find strangely compelling in the same way that it's hard not to watch a crazy ranting old guy on a street corner, I find it utterly boring and totally bizarre. But hey I come from a country that plays lots of cricket! It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things ;)

Jess
02-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah, start second year on Monday. Last year in Bio, which was like a quarter of our mark we just went through each system in turn but in Anatomy we only did arms and legs. (FYI there are 101 muscles all up to learn in those parts :p) So do you not get to do actual med till you've done a year first? That sounds like a good system so you can get a taste and still have a choice. :)

We're doing just general stuff in anatomy at the moment - the amount of muscles etc that need to be learnt is quite overwhelming at the moment!

We had to do a first year of "health sciences" that everyone who wanted to do medicine/pharmacy/physio had to do. Was a good introduction and gave you a chance to think about if it was really the right thing to do!

Chesty Larue
02-26-2006, 10:14 PM
New thread title in honor of the Canadians kicking arse :cool:

Woot! Woot! :p

It's pretty odd that Canada has been drawing so much attention at these games..I know most people thought the Canadian Olympic Committee saying we'll have a top 3 finish and at least 25 medals was unrealistic. Honestly I'm surprised they got so close :p Top 3 and 24 medals :o but they posted 13 fourth-place finishes..at least half of which were missing a medal by less than a second :p

Cindy Klassen though :worship: 5 medals! :eek: 1 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze..that's just crazy :p

I've heard that the goal for Vancouver 2010 is the #1 medal ranking and 35 medals..setting the bar hight much? :p

And just to show how great the ladies are..of Canada's 7 Gold medals..5 were won by female athletes :yeah:

Murkofan
02-27-2006, 03:15 AM
Woot, go chicks :woohoo:

Sorry Mistress, I'm going out of town Weds so I'll be AWOL :p

Ashie_87
02-27-2006, 03:46 AM
Ooh curling :bounce: Your explanation was pretty good jusjctin, I'll just add a fews things about the scoring. In every end ( which are the periods, 10 in normal match) each team gets to throw 8 rocks so that makes for16 rocks thrown in each end. They throw them alternatively, so team A throws one, then team B throws one, and so on. The team who gets to throw the very last one has last rock, which is called the hammer. Only one team can score per end, and that is the team who's rock is closest to the button however it must be in the rings to score. If there are no rocks in the rings, then we say that end was blanked, nobody gets any points. OK now for actual scoring. Like I said, the team with the rock closest to the button scores, but the number of points they get depends on all the other rocks in play. Let's say team A has the rock closest to the button. If the second closest rock is from team B, then team A only scores one point. If there are two team A rocks closest to the button, then a team B rock, they would score two. So basically the start counting from the button and move outwards until they get to a rock by the other team, which is when they stop counting points. In the next end, the team who didn't score gets the hammer. If nobody scored, the same who had the hammer keeps it.

It sounds a little complicated once you write it down but you get used to it pretty quickly!

Oh good:) thanks guys. Now I can watch curling and actually understand it:pyou have no idea how confused I was lol. One more question though-why do they sweep the ice? Is that to make the rock slide further/faster? Or to put the other side off?

And :woohoo: for Canada. We don't have enough of a winter to make much of a dent in the medal tally so yay for Canada. Overall I think the Olympics were pretty good...although the closing ceremony was confusing

Lisbeth
02-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Woot, go chicks :woohoo:

Sorry Mistress, I'm going out of town Weds so I'll be AWOL :p

Well you suck :p I mean, have a nice time :lol: I'll still be here when you get back ;)

Lisbeth
02-27-2006, 05:05 AM
We don't have enough of a winter to make much of a dent in the medal tally so yay for Canada.

True but we definitely win the most unlikely medals.

Stephen Bradbury - not really a finals class skater but won because he was smart enough to stay back and let everyone push each other over (and what a legend he was too)

Dale whatever his name is - too darn busy being an internet mogul (or internet crook, according to some, most of who appear to be from Canada :tape: ) to be a full time athlete.

Alissa Camplin - OK the gold was relatively regular apart from training in a slimy pond near that well-known snowspot Melbourne 6 months of the year, but the bronze with a leg reconstructed from "donated ligaments" is a bit out there.

Zali Steggal was the only regular medallist we ever had :lol:

ally_014
02-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Zali Steggal was the only regular medallist we ever had :lol:

Very true, but does the name make up for the boring-ness of the medal? :p

At least we make it interesting! And I reckon we did pretty well in the end considering most of us never even see snow all year (unless you live in tropical Hobart), I mean we beat Latvia, and Japan, and Belarus and a few others!

Lisbeth
02-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Very true, but does the name make up for the boring-ness of the medal? :p

Probably ;)

The real question is ... did we beat New Zealand? (Oh hang on, you guys are probably too young to remember that Andrew Denton sports show which had "please let us beat New Zealand" as its theme song :lol: )

Chesty Larue
02-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Hehe a rather entertaining article about the costumes at the Olympics

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/22/fashion.olympicoutfits.ap/index.html

We talked about some of these outfits :p

Lisbeth
02-27-2006, 10:52 PM

that "you think?" could certainly have come straight from this thread ;)

Chesty Larue
02-28-2006, 12:11 AM

that "you think?" could certainly have come straight from this thread ;)

I knew eh :p The author is very much channelling this thread's general attitude..probably why I enjoyed it so much ;)

star
02-28-2006, 04:04 AM
My secretary thinks there should be point deductions for ugly costumes. :)

Goonergal
03-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Quick hi & bye to anyone here :wavey: (as I'm off to bed!)

Great to see Marat win his first match back after his long hiatus :D But, as for his hair...*vomits*He still hasn't cut it & it's tied back in a kind of bun. It looks like an higher class version of Gaudio's :rolleyes: :tape: :o

Lisbeth
03-01-2006, 04:38 AM
My secretary thinks there should be point deductions for ugly costumes. :)

Can we get your secretary elected to whatever international agency determines such matters, please?

I haven't been able to access the board for more than a minute all day - just got a blank page with one letter "H" on it :lol: Now I'm in I suspect you're all asleep.

My friend brought me the Best Top Ever back from London :inlove: I have to think of somewhere to go tonight just so I can wear it!

star
03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
:yippee: A friend with great taste!

I'm thinking of installing my secretary as a new person... you know like the guy sits there and determines the difficulty level? She could be the constume arbiter.

Knockers LaBroad
03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
:wavey: Long time no see!!:)

Ollie....:sad: but what a match vs Safin..:eek::yeah: Those matches are always entertaining!!

star
03-02-2006, 01:39 PM
:wavey: Elke! :hug: :hug:

How's that darling girl, Lara? :)

Ollie :hearts:

Knockers LaBroad
03-02-2006, 02:13 PM
:wavey: Christina!!

Lara is wonderful, of course...:angel:
We spent a lot of time outside in the snow, makes her --and us :p- really tired, much needed, cos she's a really bad sleeper. She only sleeps 6 hours at night, and just 2 during the day and for the rest she's happily awake.

Lisbeth
03-02-2006, 10:59 PM

star
03-03-2006, 04:45 AM

I'm leaving early early tomorrow morning for Indian Wells. :yippee:

Lisbeth
03-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Have a great time Christina :) We llok forward to the report (hint, hint!)

I will be going away for a few days too and I'm not sure if I'll have internet access or not so don't fret if you don't hear from me till late next week :angel:

sadhbh
03-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Hope you have a good time, jealous already.

Murkofan
03-06-2006, 08:21 PM
:wavey: Yo peeps!

I sort of want to change the thread title to "It's hard out here for a pimp" :dance: :p

Goonergal
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
:wavey: Just got back from watching Kelly Clarkson in concert :bounce: She was awesome :bounce:

Goonergal
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I sort of want to change the thread title to "It's hard out here for a pimp" :dance: :p
Never heard the song, but I'm sure it was worthy of its Oscar :p

:yeah: to Reese Witherspoon, Rachel Weisz, George Clooney

Murkofan
03-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Kelly :D

Rachel Weisz :hearts: I want to look that pretty when I'm pregnant :hearts: :p

You should totally download the song Beebs :p I don't exactly like it, but it has been running through my head since last night :p

star
03-07-2006, 04:39 AM
you definitely should change the thread title. ;)

Knockers LaBroad
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
:wavey: All! :D

I'm gonna send some Kimchocolats all over the world this weekend..

So if anyone's interested, PM your adress to me!!:angel:

Hope everyone's doing fine, cos this place kind of feels empty...:sad:
Greets, Elke :kiss:

Angele
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Such sad news today http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060307/ap_en_ot/obit_reeve;_ylt=AnM91UxLGkLHVGUCBvI_2xus0NUE;_ylu= X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-

:sad: :sad: I knew she was ill but last I heard she was doing better, and her outlook was good. So sad though, saddest of all being that there's a young child involved. Imagine losing both your parents in such a short period of time, and at such a young age.

Murkofan
03-07-2006, 03:23 PM
you definitely should change the thread title. ;)

You got it Toyota :p

Slightly modified to discourage real pimps from joining in :p We have enough off-color conversations as it is :p

Murkofan
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Omg, I forgot to tell y'all--I went and randomly had my ears pierced yesterday :p I actually rendered my mother speechless :p

sprinterluck
03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
:sad: :sad: I knew she was ill but last I heard she was doing better, and her outlook was good. So sad though, saddest of all being that there's a young child involved. Imagine losing both your parents in such a short period of time, and at such a young age.

This was shocking. I hope their son will find happiness in life.

This morning, news agencies quoted Dana Reeve's comments from last year:

"I learned a long time ago that life just isn't fair, so you have to stop expecting it to be."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-11-17-dana-reeve_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA&POE=click-refer

sprinterluck
03-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Kelly :D

Rachel Weisz :hearts: I want to look that pretty when I'm pregnant :hearts: :p

You should totally download the song Beebs :p I don't exactly like it, but it has been running through my head since last night :p

Kelly. :rolleyes: She didn't want American Idol using her songs for their competition. She's lucky to get a big break on AI and now she's turning her back on it...but I still like Kelly anyway. :D

Rachel Weisz and Ioan Gruffudd :hearts: in the Burberry print ads.

Nice thread title. :p I loved the expression on Dolly Parton's face when Queen Latifah called it. Exactly what everyone else was thinking...like WTF? Three Six Mafia KOs Dolly P. :D

Yasmine
03-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Omg, I forgot to tell y'all--I went and randomly had my ears pierced yesterday :p I actually rendered my mother speechless :p
:eek: :lol: and how come all of a sudden? :devil:

Chesty Larue
03-07-2006, 07:59 PM
New X-Men trailer! :bounce: :bounce:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/tls/trailer/

:D

Murkofan
03-07-2006, 09:49 PM
:eek: :lol: and how come all of a sudden? :devil:

Beats me :p I was just driving to school Monday AM and thought, "Hmm...I should get my ears pierced." :p I was originally going to two holes in each lobe and one in my upper ear, but the place I went to didn't have any silver or stainless steel, so I had to spring for white gold and only had enough cash one :p

It was so great though, my mom was totally spazzing when I got home :p Now she's afraid I'm going to go crazy and come home with tongue and nose rings :p

Murkofan
03-07-2006, 09:54 PM
New X-Men trailer! :bounce: :bounce:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/tls/trailer/

:D

Oh. My. GAWD.[/Janice]

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Chesty Larue
03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Oh. My. GAWD.[/Janice]

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I know! [/monica]

Murkofan
03-07-2006, 10:02 PM
We should go see it together Ile :p

Chesty Larue
03-07-2006, 10:29 PM
sure just make your way up north :p

Murkofan
03-07-2006, 11:18 PM
The weather is better down here :p

star
03-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Nice title.

Now I feel like a pimp. :p

star
03-08-2006, 02:21 AM
oh, and p.s. America's Next Top Model starts tonight.

More reading for Jane! And, Jane, they ran a program on "what are they doing now" that is recapped. :)

And I've figured out, I don't actually watch Gray's Anatomy. I just read the recaps. :)

Murkofan
03-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Nice title.

Now I feel like a pimp. :p

Fo' shizzle :p

star
03-08-2006, 02:32 AM
And, all you girls will like this: My seatmate in the stadium, cannot stand JHH. He didn't like her much before, but I ran into him today at one of the qualifying matches, and he unloaded about the AO -- well, he started off being bitter that she had such an easy draw, and then segued. :lol:

Murkofan
03-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Props to your seatmate :p

I want a beer.

star
03-08-2006, 02:48 AM
ummmm The first step is admitting it.

Murkofan
03-08-2006, 08:13 PM
I can buy them legally now, you know :p I was picking some up the other day, and the woman in line next to me told the clerk, "She's not old enough to buy that."

Murkofan
03-08-2006, 08:27 PM
World Baseball Classic :D :bounce: Canada vs US :aplot: :p

I was AWOL because I was out of town; what's Jane's everyone else's excuse? :p

Murkofan
03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
I've got the season premiere of NTM on, and I'm already freaking out at all the skinniness. Eat a cheesburger, girls!

Murkofan
03-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Omg :haha: Why is nobody here to share this show with me? :p