Rate Murray's Quality of play in the Slams this Yearr [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rate Murray's Quality of play in the Slams this Yearr

Zepploydath
11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm interested to see what other Murray fans think of how he played in the slams this year. For the purposes of the poll I'm going to leave out the French Open because Murray didn't play so well there although he was injured.

Despite winning the US Open I still think he played better at both the Australian Open and Wimbledon. He outplayed Novak for large parts of their match in the semi-final at the AO and I think if he had a little more confidence at that point he'd have won because giving Novak the 4th set so easily was criminal. And the missed BP chances at 5-5. I think Wimbledon is where he played his best, particularly the final. He came out and played aggressively from the start. Federer didn't play that badly at the beginning, Murray didn't allow him an inch and until the last game of the 2nd set Murray looked like he would win. Again, I think he lacked a little confidence. I really hope he can develop more of a killer instinct to put matches to bed better.

Mentally though, the US Open trumps everything.

TigerTim
11-21-2012, 01:56 AM
In terms of quality of Play I would actually go AO-WIM-USO. Ironically the reverse order of his success!

MuzzahLovah
11-21-2012, 01:00 PM
It's hard to rate Australia, because until he played Djokovic, he really only played an exhausted Nishikori, not a lot of competition there. And he was only mentally present in 3 sets of that Djokovic match, only winning 2 of those 3, so I don't consider that a great performance compared to the other two. I'd say he did play better at Wimbledon than at the USO overall

Really even after the USO, Andy has had a pretty troubling pattern of outplaying his opponent for large stretches, Like Fed at Wimble and Nole at Shanghai and WTF, but not taking his opportunities and extending the lead when he's ahead.

scoobs
11-21-2012, 02:07 PM
I put him slightly ahead in Australia than Wimbledon but it was very close - both were better in terms of his standard than the US Open, ironically.

I still find it hard to believe he won, given his difficulties

The Prince
11-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Wimbledon first, then Australia, then US Open.