WTF RR: Marray/Nielsen def. Mirnyi/Nestor 7-6, 4-6, [12-10] [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WTF RR: Marray/Nielsen def. Mirnyi/Nestor 7-6, 4-6, [12-10]

August
11-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Wimbledon champs again win the 1st set, lost the 2nd, and won the match TB. Now they secured their SF spot.

Arkulari
11-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Amazing match!! the guys saved MP in the super TB. So good to see them doing well there, I hope they can continue playing doubles together, they are a great team!

misty1
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
really happy to see them doing well here

im hoping frederik decides to focus more on doubles next year and that this team plays together more because they could be extremely good and contend for slams consistently if they did

Ivo#1Fan
11-07-2012, 07:45 PM
With the money Frederik is making in doubles this year and his relative advanced age and lack of singles ranking/success it would be really crazy for him not to focus on doubles next year...but it's his life. Seriously though, I would be amazed if he doesn't give up the singles and instead go full time doubles.

pesto
11-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Nielsen has re-iterated his intention to go back to singles:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/11/06/tennis-men-finals-nielsen-idUKL3E8M65S920121106

I find it somewhat incomprehensible. He's 29 years old, with a current ranking of 362 and a high of 190. That can't pay the bills.

In doubles, the team has just proven that they aren't a one-hit wonder by beating two of the best teams in the world, on one of the biggest stages.

So they are guaranteed to top their group, aren't they? Bhupathi and Bopanna will play Nestor and Mirnyi for the second spot, but Marray and Nielsen must outrank either of those teams by virtue of the head-to-head.

misty1
11-07-2012, 08:00 PM
its strange but also i kind of respect him for it.

Certinfy
11-07-2012, 11:07 PM
What's even funnier is before the World Tour Finals I heard some guys say that these 2 will be walking BYEs. :haha:

Pipsy
11-07-2012, 11:27 PM
What's even funnier is before the World Tour Finals I heard some guys say that these 2 will be walking BYEs. :haha:

I think that was perhaps a little unfair and certainly premature. They have surprised me though with their consistency. I think there was the feeling that while they won a grand slam, it could well have been a one-off dream run given that the Wimbledon doubles tournament is so different from most tournaments (5 sets, deuce-advantage system, grass courts). Also, they performed less well when they paired up in a few subsequent tournaments. I guess this has shown that they really are big stage players and are capable of raising their game to the level of the world's best and most experienced pairings when they have challenging opponents and an favourable court atmosphere.

Certainly a nod to the ATP for the altered ranking criteria for grand slam winners. I think it could be argued the tournament is richer for having Marray and Nielsen rather than the 8th placed team Fyrstenberg and Matkowski.

dencod16
11-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Can't really blame them for discounting this two, because they haven't done well outside of Wimbledon. I guess London has something special that it brings out the best in this two. Happy they are progressing, I was rooting for them.

Pratik
11-08-2012, 03:35 AM
The doubles matches have been really close this time.
5 out of 6 matches so far have gone to MTB, and in 4 of them the wining team have had to saved match points.

Marray/Nielsen once again show what a clutch team they are. They clearly love playing in London, with home support for Marray. This year in London they have beaten most of the top teams. Indians, Bryan brothers, Qureshi/Rojer, LinTec, Granny/Lopez, Nestor/Mirnyi. It is great that they are proving themselves in the regular doubles format.

It is a real shame that Nielsen wants to concentrate on his singles career, they could have a lot of success in doubles.

kitasss_vlc
11-08-2012, 07:32 AM
ok... so they do NOTHING during the whole season (wait, nothing but winning Wimbledon, I know that is amazing... but the season is 11 months long...) and they arrive to London and do this? omg

West end Dave
11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Cannot believe Nielsen, he's going nowhere as a singles player. Marray is doing the right thing advertising for partners. Needs to get points through the year rather than odd tournaments. Did well in Paris so who knows .certainly has the talent to be a top doubles player. Can anyone tell me why it took him so long to do it?