question in doubles [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

question in doubles

fripon27
11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
here is my question. when playing doubles, when my partner is receiving the serve, i position myself near the t line, close to the service box
am i aloud to have my racket hanging in the service box? i know i cannot touch the ball but am i aloud to hold my racket in the service box as a distraction for the person who is serving?

Pratik
11-07-2012, 04:37 AM
There is no rule explicitly stating that you can't do so.
But, this would fall under hindrance. In any deliberate act of hindrance, you forfeit the point.(There are no warnings for this, it is a direct loss of point).
So, you are not allowed to do so.

MaxPower
11-07-2012, 06:10 AM
It's a bit common sense rule or not. At pro level it would never be accepted. Umpire would notice if it's done on purpose, call hindrance and the team loses the point. Besides it would be regarded as poor sportsmanship, no different from jumping around, making strange noises, point with the racket or whatever other tactics there are to annoy the server. Umpire would take action.

At amateur level it's usually up to players judgement. If it's a nice relaxed atmosphere then why not. I wouldn't mind if an opponent did it. If someone hugs the line you can always aim your serve right at the line. Then you can "accidently" hit the player or even hit the racket if hanging over the line. Should be free point if hitting something in the box or at the line so...