Metz SF : Seppi def. Monfils 3-6 6-1 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Metz SF : Seppi def. Monfils 3-6 6-1 6-4

Action Jackson
09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Seppi finally got it done was making too many errors early and Monfils was in control.

The Seppi started making less errors, moving into the court and Monfils went through his routine where he looked like he was mauled by the lactic bear and couldn't run.

Monfils was competing well in the 3rd but Seppi was able to serve it out and makes his 3rd final of the year.

Brilliant rally at 30-40 in the final game.

Hian-GOAT
09-22-2012, 01:59 PM
That volley :lol:

Win The title pls

Dead Net Cord
09-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Seppi in TOP 25 :spit:

Puschkin
09-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Sepp twice lucky with the net in the final game, one of his net cords went in and one of Gael went out.

Hian-GOAT
09-22-2012, 02:02 PM

He had already been :wavey:

Totally deserved

Stronga23
09-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Gael is going to make his presence known at the Paris Masters in five weeks.

kiriri***
09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Monfils was beaten by 2nd serve many times especially 3rd set:rolleyes:
Great win, Seppi:D after horrible form after North America.

BroTree123
09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Those two long rallies that Seppi won on those 2 BP's were unbelievable. Almost fucked it up at the end, but was a little fortunate that Gael's tank slowly ran dry as the match got longer. Decent comeback run for Gaelnam Style.

Mateya, if you're out there reading this :rocker2: :hug:

superandy88
09-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Good match. Amazing rallies in the 3rd set btw. One 36-shot rally on 5-4 30-40, and one 34-shot one on 5-4 Adv Monfils.
Very entertaining third set.

Deathless Mortal
09-22-2012, 02:06 PM

How was that a brilliant rally? Besides the last 2 or 3 Seppi's shots it was a pushing rally, that got on and on because neither of them was even trying to hit a winner.

Action Jackson
09-22-2012, 02:08 PM

http://www4.slikomat.com/11/0517/9wc-Sepps2.jpg

Coolio_Jack
09-22-2012, 02:10 PM
When the situation is tight, Murray is a ballbasher comparing to Monfils.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 02:10 PM
How was that a brilliant rally? Besides the last 2 or 3 Seppi's shots it was a pushing rally, that got on and on because neither of them was even trying to hit a winner.

this. :haha::haha:

Monfils is taking the pushing to levels not even Simon is capable of.

Seppi is one of the most passive players on tour, still Monfils manged to make him play aggressively, priceless!

Stronga23
09-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Someone should ban Deathless Mortal from posting on Monfils threads because all he does is run his fucking mouth. Learn the word respect my god he just came back from a serious injury so shut the fuck up.

Action Jackson
09-22-2012, 02:13 PM
this. :haha::haha:

Monfils is taking the pushing to levels not even Simon is capable of.

Seppi is one of the most passive players on tour, still Monfils manged to make him play aggressively, priceless!

Monfils actually looked tired this time, this is when he should ballbash but not Monfils. Considering Seppi has made 3 finals this year and had his best ever Slam showing it wasn't because of him being passive. No, he'll never be a ballbasher, nowhere near as passive as before. but there are reasons he has had a career year.

Deathless Mortal
09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Someone should ban Deathless Mortal from posting on Monfils threads because all he does is run his fucking mouth. Learn the word respect my god he just came back from a serious injury so shut the fuck up.

Man, you can't have an objective conversation when it's about Monfils, so IMO you should shut the fuck up. I do respect him as I respect all players besides Nadal, and kudos for coming back, but I don't like his playing style and his clown-like behavior. That rally was all about massive pushing until the last couple of (Seppi's) shots, and that's just the fact, whether you liked it or not.

TigerTim
09-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Totally expected :shrug:

Shame Mateya isnt here to celebrate :sadface:

scarecrows
09-22-2012, 02:17 PM

i think it would be better if you got banned from Monfils threads

Action Jackson
09-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Man, you can't have an objective conversation when it's about Monfils, so IMO you should shut the fuck up. I do respect him as I respect all players besides Nadal, and kudos for coming back, but I don't like his playing style and his clown-like behavior. That rally was all about massive pushing until the last couple of (Seppi's) shots, and that's just the fact, whether you liked it or not.

Stick to the match please. MonfilsFanatic no posters aren't going to get banned because you don't like their comments

motorhead
09-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Monfils actually looked tired this time, this is when he should ballbash but not Monfils. Considering Seppi has made 3 finals this year and had his best ever Slam showing it wasn't because of him being passive. No, he'll never be a ballbasher, nowhere near as passive as before. but there are reasons he has had a career year.

Seppi had his results for the very fact that he is passive and very 'tidy/neat' in his game style which is poison for players like Verdasco and Paire. As for the two sets against Djokovic, I think everyone in here agrees on the fact that DJ never looked in trouble and went down mainly beacuse he was missing a lot of shots. Other slams he went out R1 to Gasquet in four sets, R1 Istomin 5 sets (he could have won) and R1 to Robredo in straights sets (...). Not so much impressive if u ask me.

As for Monfils we are saying the same thing, he should have ballbashed since he was quite tired. otherwise running 10km in every point doesn't help at all.

Coolio_Jack
09-22-2012, 02:28 PM
The thing is, its not like Monfils cant hit amazing winners, thats the clownish part about it. Kudos for a nice comeback, but hard to feel for the guy when he's trying his best to get injured again.

GSMnadal
09-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Too bad, but very succesful comeback nonetheless.

He was so close as well in the final game, just was unlucky.

BodyServe
09-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Seppi finally got it done was making too many errors early and Monfils was in control.

The Seppi started making less errors, moving into the court and Monfils went through his routine where he looked like he was mauled by the lactic bear and couldn't run.

Monfils was competing well in the 3rd but Seppi was able to serve it out and makes his 3rd final of the year.

There was two of them one at 30-40 and 40-A, 36 and 34 shots respectively if i remember right.
But come on i don't want to watch this in indoor tournaments.

jcempire
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Monfils is almost done for career
Please retired

This guy has been No 7 Ranking

WOW.

Weakest Era

Nole Rules
09-22-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Edina+Gallovits+Romania+struts+stuff+catwalk+2mcvw LkI8YMl.jpg

Marcoo
09-22-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't know what happened to Monfils... I mean he used to be one of the top players, wright ? Anyway I'm happy for Seppi and i hope he'll get the tittle

henke007
09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Gael :o

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Seppi had his results for the very fact that he is passive and very 'tidy/neat' in his game style which is poison for players like Verdasco and Paire. As for the two sets against Djokovic, I think everyone in here agrees on the fact that DJ never looked in trouble and went down mainly beacuse he was missing a lot of shots. Other slams he went out R1 to Gasquet in four sets, R1 Istomin 5 sets (he could have won) and R1 to Robredo in straights sets (...). Not so much impressive if u ask me.

As for Monfils we are saying the same thing, he should have ballbashed since he was quite tired. otherwise running 10km in every point doesn't help at all.

You could say Seppi was a passive player a couple of years ago, but I would say that's one aspect of his game which he has improved a lot and one of the reasons why he started to get better results. His serve overall improved a lot (gets a lot of free points with 1st, 2nd is not as vulnerable) and he's actually going for winners a lot more than before. Replace passive for patient and you've got a much more accurate description of how he plays, he's not going to hit through players and overpower them consistently but, instead, he's pretty good at constructing points and flattening his shots at right times.

Sanya
09-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Seppi for years was TOP-30 material, but it seems that only this season everything finally is working for him. Great result for guy who 15 monthes ago was one of the best players without a title. :yeah:

Still great tournament for Monfils, noone could expect more from him a week ago. If only he stays healthy he will be TOP-10 easily once again if now players like Monaco :facepalm: can do it.

Orange Wombat
09-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Good run by Gael :yeah:

Still I feel he should have won. Seppi is a solid player, but Monfils is more talented. He just has to avoid pushing and maximize his talent. Defensive rallying will not get him anywhere.

Action Jackson
09-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Seppi is solid and not spectacular made the most of his abilities that's all anyone can ask of a player. Verdasco, Mathieu those guys have very good records against him, don't be FiloV do some research. Monfils was 4-0 before today, those guys can hit through him and his 2nd serve is the big weakness.

His Slam results have no relevance to his match. Unseeded at AO, so how many were beating Djokovic on clay this year not many players. He has never done well at the US Open and never will. Won a total of 3 matches there since 2004.

You must not have watched him at all this season, if you haven't see the improvements. He actually goes for it on the forehand side when he creates the chances, constructs points well since he doesn't have a big weapon he has to play like this.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 07:27 PM
lol it was you who first mentioned his slam result this year. I've seen basically almost all of Seppi's televised matches this year and many in the past years. Even a blind man would notice the improvements he as made on service and in the game overall. You are stating the obvious. If you consider him an attacking player, well good for you. My impression is that he's still a very passive player, one of the most defensive players in the top 100.
I've no idea what Verdasco and Mathieu have to do with each other since they are totally different and Seppi hasn't met Mathieu in three years.
The h2h Seppi-Verdasco is something like 7-2 for the spaniard and again you are stating what everyone knows. I don't see how it mattered since I only mentioned their RG match which took place three years later their previous match.

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 07:49 PM
lol it was you who first mentioned his slam result this year. I've seen basically almost all of Seppi's televised matches this year and many in the past years. Even a blind man would notice the improvements he as made on service and in the game overall. You are stating the obvious. If you consider him an attacking player, well good for you. My impression is that he's still a very passive player, one of the most defensive players in the top 100.
I've no idea what Verdasco and Mathieu have to do with each other since they are totally different and Seppi hasn't met Mathieu in three years.
The h2h Seppi-Verdasco is something like 7-2 for the spaniard and again you are stating what everyone knows. I don't see how it mattered since I only mentioned their RG match which took place three years later their previous match.

He didn't said he was an attacking player, neither did I. Having good defensive abilities and being a good counterpuncher when rushed are not the same as simply being passive or plainly defensive. Like stated previously, he's patient at constructing the points but choses well when to flat (even more) his shots and hits quite a few winners per match. Far from being a pure baseline grinder or along those lines.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 08:21 PM
He didn't said he was an attacking player, neither did I. Having good defensive abilities and being a good counterpuncher when rushed are not the same as simply being passive or plainly defensive. Like stated previously, he's patient at constructing the points but choses well when to flat (even more) his shots and hits quite a few winners per match. Far from being a pure baseline grinder or along those lines.

would you give 2 or 3 names in the top50 that are more passive than Seppi? except for Simon and Ramos

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 08:44 PM
would you give 2 or 3 names in the top50 that are more passive than Seppi? except for Simon and Ramos

Haa, first it was in the top 100 now you change it to top 50 :p Granollers, Soeda, Nieminen, F. Mayer was getting outhit by him too despite his unorthodox game. And those in terms of pace but could mention many, many more that I don't see them hitting through Andreas.

The Prince
09-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Is Go Soeda in the top 50? :lol:

What a joke tennis has become.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Haa, first it was in the top 100 now you change it to top 50 :p Granollers, Soeda, Nieminen, F. Mayer was getting outhit by him too despite his unorthodox game. And those in terms of pace but could mention many, many more that I don't see them hitting through Andreas.

who talked about hitting through Seppi, I just wanted to know who do you think is more passive than Seppi. you came up wih 3 names in the top50 which isn't that much if we think about it.
I even have doubts on them. I don't think, for instance, than Granollers is more passive then Seppi.

The Prince
09-22-2012, 08:53 PM
motorhead, what's wrong with being passive and defensive? You make it sound like it's a bad thing?

motorhead
09-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Is Go Soeda in the top 50? :lol:

What a joke tennis has become.

Soeda should be named the challengers vulture. guy could barely pass R1 in Wimby against a pathetic Kunytsin. his only relevant decent win at tour level this year being against a semi-injuried Wawrinka in Chennai.

Sanya
09-22-2012, 09:00 PM

:spit:

motorhead
09-22-2012, 09:02 PM

:haha:

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 09:23 PM

Well his serve gets attacked a lot and his loopy forehand is sometimes an invitation for big hitters to put him in full defensive mode, but of course it's debatable since he can fire specially on the backhand side. Seppi's pace is higher in my opinion and Jarkko is more prone to be in a position where he's retrieving shots from way back (Granollers case too).

Motor I think you're mixing some terms up in: groundstroke power and passiveness. They can go hand by hand in a lot of cases but being passive is like an approach and more 'strategic' to put it in a way and that's the main reason why I don't consider Seppi as a passive player. It's obvious to say that he doesn't have the raw power of a ballbasher or someone that can hit winners from everywhere of course. Well, I already described his game too many times in this thread already so no need to do it again!

motorhead
09-22-2012, 09:31 PM
motorhead, what's wrong with being passive and defensive? You make it sound like it's a bad thing?

nothin wrong with it. it's just that one can fall asleep watching some players.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Well his serve gets attacked a lot and his loopy forehand is sometimes an invitation for big hitters to put him in full defensive mode, but of course it's debatable since he can fire specially on the backhand side. Seppi's pace is higher in my opinion and Jarkko is more prone to be in a position where he's retrieving shots from way back (Granollers case too).

Motor I think you're mixing some terms up in: groundstroke power and passiveness. They can go hand by hand in a lot of cases but being passive is like an approach and more 'strategic' to put it in a way and that's the main reason why I don't consider Seppi as a passive player. It's obvious to say that he doesn't have the raw power of a ballbasher or someone that can hit winners from everywhere of course. Well, I already described his game too many times in this thread already so no need to do it again!

I don't understand what Nieminen's serve speed has to do with his style of play which is by far much more attacking than Seppi's style.
We are not talking about power, we are talking about their style. In this case Nieminen is the attacking player not Seppi. And I don't even think Nieminen has a passive game.

Sanya
09-22-2012, 09:42 PM

I can presume a few meaning for word "outhit", but in no of them Seppi can do (whatever you mean here) it against Nieminen. I can`t remember any of their matches, but watching their game for years. I decided to look at their H2H and - wow - it`s 3-0 in Jarkko`s favour, 6-0 in sets. It became for me even more intresting, because sometimes it happens - general assumptions can be wrong and have nothing with results, but it isn`t this case either.

That`s why I just can`t imagine why you added Shark to your list. ;) I didn`t want to write that much, probably isn`t worth doing, but just was very surprised to see Nieminen in such list with Granollers and Soeda. :)

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't understand what Nieminen's serve speed has to do with his style of play which is by far much more attacking than Seppi's style.

Talk about nitpicking...

Seppi's style (as mentioned plenty of times in the thread): finishing points quickly when his first serve is in (his first serve allows him to do this many times, finishing with the first serve-forehand winner combo but not always of course). Being patient and constructing points which allows him to flatten his shots at right times, not rushing winners like other players. His consistency allows him to do it because he's not a player that will usually hit an UE after two or three shots. When rushed by players that hit harder, decent counterpunching abilities that allow him to get back on position. Inside out forehand is his most safe shot to get the winner when unleashing.

Not passive IMO, passive IYO! Cool with that.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Talk about nitpicking...

Seppi's style (as mentioned plenty of times in the thread): finishing points quickly when his first serve is in (his first serve allows him to do this many times, finishing with the first serve-forehand winner combo but not always of course). Being patient and constructing points which allows him to flatten his shots at right times, not rushing winners like other players. His consistency allows him to do it because he's not a player that will usually hit an UE after two or three shots. When rushed by players that hit harder, decent counterpunching abilities that allow him to get back on position. Inside out forehand is his most safe shot to get the winner when unleashing.

Not passive IMO, passive IYO! Cool with that.

Don't think Seppi is famous for his Serve-FH combo.

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Don't think Seppi is famous for his Serve-FH combo.

Never said it was. When he hits a good first serve in (he's doing that way more now than before) he goes for the finishing shot, just that. Of course you were going to nitpick by pointing out a single phrase out of all I wrote :lol:

motorhead
09-22-2012, 10:05 PM
even ollie rochus would go for the finishing shot to finish the point easily after a good first serve has landed in. who wouldn't do it?
Seppi's style is not a SV-FH game.

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 10:12 PM
even ollie rochus would go for the finishing shot to the point easily after a good first serve as landed in.

Not all players do, most yes. With an improved and better first serve, your chances of hitting one clearly increase.

Seppi's style is not a SV-FH game.

Again, never said that :rolleyes:

Smoke944
09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Soeda should be named the challengers vulture. guy could barely pass R1 in Wimby against a pathetic Kunytsin. his only relevant decent win at tour level this year being against a semi-injuried Wawrinka in Chennai.

or trashing Nishikori

J99
09-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Soeda's not in the top 50 anymore, he's #52 now.:)

motorhead
09-22-2012, 10:28 PM
just realised he wrote Florian Mayer :haha: I thought he meant Leonardo Mayer.
So Florian Mayer would be a more passive player than Seppi? guys this is getting interesting :haha::haha:

Sanya
09-22-2012, 10:34 PM
So Florian Mayer would be a more passive player than Seppi? guys this is getting interesting :haha::haha:

With Mayer it is very hard to rate his agressiveness. He is one of the most skillful players, but it is another criteria. IMO, it`s debatable.

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 10:34 PM

Just stating he got outhit by Seppi earlier this week, didn't even include him on the 2-3 names you told me to point out. Now that you say you thought it was Leo, it is indeed more funny and interesting for your case since he's basically a ballbasher that hits with huge power off both forehand and backhand! Would never mention him near any list of 'passive' players.

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 10:36 PM
With Mayer it is very hard to rate his agressiveness. He is one of the most skillful players, but it is another criteria. IMO, it`s debatable.

Exactly, too much flair from Flo. But, again, lol at the confusion with Leo Mayer who's an inconsistent ballbasher in every way.

Sanya
09-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Exactly, too much flair from Flo. But, again, lol at the confusion with Leo Mayer who's an inconsistent ballbasher in every way.

Yep, in some stretches he outhit even Delpo at US.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Just stating he got outhit by Seppi earlier this week, didn't even include him on the 2-3 names you told me to point out. Now that you say you thought it was Leo, it is indeed more funny and interesting for your case since he's basically a ballbasher that hits with huge power off both forehand and backhand! Would never mention him near any list of 'passive' players.

I didn't read that part. As for the names you mentioned, I disagree on everyone except maybe for Soeda so I choose Nieminen for an example. Again, he got outhit by Seppi this week so what? Does this make him a passive player? I don't think so, and I've never read of anyone in here thinking Mayer is a passive player.

Vinceremo
09-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I didn't read that part. As for the names you mentioned, I disagree on everyone except maybe for Soeda so I choose Nieminen for an example. Again, he got outhit by Seppi this week so what? Does this make him a passive player? I don't think so, and I've never read of anyone in here thinking Mayer is a passive player.

Lol, this discussion has been extended way too much I think. My main point was just that Seppi isn't a passive player, I've already described his game fully like 5 times already in this thread so no point going into it again. If you disagree with that and with the names I gave, which many are debatable of course, then that's fine man. For me, IMO, Seppi is definitely not passive but if you think the opposite then that's cool. And no, I just mentioned the fact that he outhit Flo because, clearly, a passive player wouldn't be able to do it or at least the chances would be ridiculously small. Finally, no, I don't consider Flo a passive player either! His game is pretty unique, unorthodox and I enjoy watching him play a lot.

motorhead
09-22-2012, 11:01 PM
The fact that you came up with only 4 debatable names out of 50 players gives an idea of how hard can be to find other players more passive than Seppi. but it's ok we went too far off from the match topic. maybe a dedicated thread would be interesting to have more visibility and opinions.

paseo
09-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Man... I know he just came back from injury. But still, wished he could won this one.

...Nieminen, F. Mayer..

No.

hipolymer
09-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Return of the Clown

Topspindoctor
09-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Unexpected result. Monfils is much more talented player than Muggi could imagine being in his wildest dreams.

uxyzapenje
09-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Tannis didn't win.

Sham Kay
09-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Monfils proved this week just how talented he is. Most players would need way more actual match practice to get to an ATP semi taking the scalps he has taken.

Could be a threat next season

J99
09-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Monfils proved this week just how talented he is. Most players would need way more actual match practice to get to an ATP semi taking the scalps he has taken.

Could be a threat next season

Kohlschreiber is a scalp, lol, and who else is a scalp, Mahut. :haha:

Dead Net Cord
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
The ball in the last games at *0/15 when Monfils hit a forehand between legs :rolleyes:
http://fuldans.se/?v=yfwxurubmt