St. Petersburg QF: [3] Klizan def. Berankis 6-3 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

St. Petersburg QF: [3] Klizan def. Berankis 6-3 6-2

JurajCrane
09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Some perls from WWW thread : (sorry for being little bit bitter :p)
I think this match is on Berankis' raquet.
Berankis in 3. Klizan is a challenger level player.

Klizan beating Berankis in style, two breaks each set - really no problem match for him today.
Match was about Klizan, he was attacking often and when he was pushed to defense he came up with great defensive winners.

Tommorrow against Youzhny, who doesn't seem at super-extra form for me.

sexybeast
09-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I am telling you guys, this Klizan is the real deal. I mean, he definetly belongs in top 20 right now and may become a really good player next year.

1811mil
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Klizan was pretty good, but how often Berankis hit his backhand into the net was just pathetic :o

Deathless Mortal
09-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Good to see Klizan fulfilling his potential recently. Hope he keeps progressing :yeah:
Sorry for Rycka, but a QF here isn't bad at all, and if he stays healthy we should be seeing a lot more of him in the upcoming months.

The Prince
09-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Two future top tenners facing off, and they are both two of my favourites. I'm glad Kližan won as he had the better chance to go on and win the title.

Big congratulations.

Hypnotize
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Some perls from WWW thread : (sorry for being little bit bitter :p)

Klizan beating Berankis in style, two breaks each set - really no problem match for him today.
Match was about Klizan, he was attacking often and when he was pushed to defense he came up with great defensive winners.

Tommorrow against Youzhny, who doesn't seem at super-extra form for me.
Zambanas' posts in that thread were hilarious. I understand patriotism but how anyone could think this match was on Berankis's racket is beyond me. :haha:

Klizan played reasonably well but didn't have to do too much today. Berankis' only tactic was to hit the ball hard which plays right into Klizan's hands who has a lot more variety to his game and is great at changing the pace and direction of the ball. Klizan hit some very nice winners and really is fun to watch.

Challengerslover
09-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Impressive stuff from Klizan, once again. He is very consistent from the baseline, combines offense and defense nicely and his serve is a good weapon. I canīt ask for much more from Martin now, this is just really solid tennis.

And somehow someway, he is constantly making his opponents look average. I donīt know why, but it seems like it very often. Klizanīs game is probably quite tough to play against and his opponents are making lots of errors. Berankis definitely can be better than this, but it probably wouldnīt be enough anyway...

As for SF vs Youzhny, itīs a really tough call for me. Youzhny has that nice offensive game, where he could potentially outhit Martin from the baseline. But Klizan looked more consistent to me, at least today. Youzhny combines great points with some stupid errors. Martin has probably a little bit better forehand and also serve. Youzhny has more powerful backhand and seems really focused behind his home crowd. 50 vs 50 thing for me. Looking forward to that challenge!

TigerTim
09-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Klizan turning on the power :rocker2:

ElMix
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Kližan completely outplayed him.

Sombrerero loco
09-21-2012, 05:45 PM
yeah, expected
rycka :hug:

Zambanas
09-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Have to agree that Klizan was better today, but Berankis played like total crap, his serve and backhand were both abysmal, so many UEs from BH side, Klizan actually didn't have to do much, although he hit some nice winners, but Rycka just self-destructed, for example the last game of the match- 4 BH UEs into the net. Is this Klizan's talent to force the UEs or is it just Berankis being too aggresive as he always tryes to be and making simple errors?

P.S. The surface at this tournament was slow as ass, like cmon, the guy 190cm height gets 3 powerful forehands and on the last one hits a winning pass. It looked really slow and as far as Rycka's offensive game is concerned, it really didn't benefit him at all.

Satasonic
09-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Expected result, told you guys that Berankis wouldnt be fit enough to play Klizan. On a side note, I have a question to the people who watched this match: How does Klizan play? Ive never watched him play (well, just for a bit but that was like 2 games or so), what is his game like? I mean, he is left handed and tall, so he should have a good serve and lefty forehand, right?

Challengerslover
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Expected result, told you guys that Berankis wouldnt be fit enough to play Klizan. On a side note, I have a question to the people who watched this match: How does Klizan play? Ive never watched him play (well, just for a bit but that was like 2 games or so), what is his game like? I mean, he is left handed and tall, so he should have a good serve and lefty forehand, right?

Yes, itīs forehand and serve. But he plays with a lot of variability as well. He serves really well this week, I am talking about it because there are matches where his serve isnīt that consistent. He has great confidence now and all seems so easy right now for him.

The Prince
09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
His backhand is a big shot now, as well.

jmjhb
09-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Klizan is top 40 now :o

Never saw him as a player with potential to reach the higher echelons of the game but he's proving me wrong so far.

Helevorn
09-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Berankis in 3. Klizan is a challenger level player.
So is Berankis, lol.

Snowwy
09-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Really like Klizan still, MTF has already written him off though.

orangehat
09-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Klizan has improved a lot from just 6 months ago ...