St Petersburg QF : Gimeno-Traver def. Cipolla 6-2 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

St Petersburg QF : Gimeno-Traver def. Cipolla 6-2 7-5

Action Jackson
09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
DGT started well and Cipolla in the 1st set won 0 points on second serve. The only games he won were off breaking DGT's serve.

Second set DGT lost a bit of concentration. Cipolla moved in the court and was junking it up with the slices to get Gimeno-Traver off the baseline. Funny watching them have slice backhand battles.

Cipolla served for the 2nd set, but DGT came back from a double break.

motorhead
09-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Nid

Sombrerero loco
09-21-2012, 10:36 AM
nice result, always good when cipolla loses a match
and DGT is playing a 42.5k challenger on clay next week...

Satasonic
09-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Watched and expected to see a mugfest. Was surprised that it developed into a decent match of tennis, Cipolla is really great to watch, he has such an aesthetically pleasing game, it looks so natural. If he would be a bit taller, he would probably have been a really good player. The only thing I felt today was as if the better player lost, DGT is really a mug, he has absolutely nothing special in his game. How he made the SF in an indoor event is beyond me...

Sombrerero loco
09-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Watched and expected to see a mugfest. Was surprised that it developed into a decent match of tennis, Cipolla is really great to watch, he has such an aesthetically pleasing game, it looks so natural. If he would be a bit taller, he would probably have been a really good player. The only thing I felt today was as if the better player lost, DGT is really a mug, he has absolutely nothing special in his game. How he made the SF in an indoor event is beyond me...

:tape:
dgt is still better than cipolla. some of your words there were :tape:

Action Jackson
09-21-2012, 10:41 AM

You're obsessed with the Madrid Chall :). DGT didn't expect to make the semis here and he has already covered his points from the Madrid final last season.

Satasonic, go watch another sport. Better player lost when he didn't hold serve at all in the 1st set, won zero points on his 2nd serve and lost after having a double break in the 2nd.

Satasonic
09-21-2012, 10:43 AM
:tape:
dgt is still better than cipolla. some of your words there were :tape:

DGT is physically stronger than Cipolla, but he is the much worse player. The only winner he actually managed to get in was the one on match point, all the rest were terrible Cipolla errors. The only advantage DGT had over Cipolla in that match was his forehand. :wavey:

And whats wrong with Cipolla? He has a unique slicing game, and for a guy of his short height, he does a really good job at the net.

Satasonic
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
You're obsessed with the Madrid Chall :). DGT didn't expect to make the semis here and he has already covered his points from the Madrid final last season.

Satasonic, go watch another sport. Better player lost when he didn't hold serve at all in the 1st set, won zero points on his 2nd serve and lost after having a double break in the 2nd.

I didnt watch the first set, but indeed- Cipolla has a terrible serve. Its not his problem that he is 172cm and really small in stature, its not like he can serve 200kmh all over the place.

Action Jackson
09-21-2012, 10:48 AM
As for Cipolla, yes he throws a lot of junk and different shots around makes it a challenge to play against him. I have nothing against that as he doesn't have the power. So has to use his speed and other tools to compete.

Lets see Sata, you are still talking tripe. DGT has a better serve and as for his forehand, well if he didn't have that then he wouldn't be on tour. Last thing I knew about this sport, got to use your strengths to win matches. No style points in this sport, some people need to learn this.

Satasonic
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
As for Cipolla, yes he throws a lot of junk and different shots around makes it a challenge to play against him. I have nothing against that as he doesn't have the power. So has to use his speed and other tools to compete.

Lets see Sata, you are still talking tripe. DGT has a better serve and as for his forehand, well if he didn't have that then he wouldn't be on tour. Last thing I knew about this sport, got to use your strengths to win matches. No style points in this sport, some people need to learn this.

Its obvious, tennis isnt about good points, because otherwise players like Nadull and Djokomug wouldnt be ranked 1, ever.

Just a question- Do you reckon this match would have panned out differently were it on clay?

Freak3yman84
09-21-2012, 12:53 PM
DGT in a HC Semi?! Who would've thought...?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using VerticalSports.Com App

bjurra
09-21-2012, 04:38 PM

I think your post is a mug fest.

Sombrerero loco
09-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I think your post is a mug fest.

this

Hypnotize
09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
I couldn't disagree more. For a Spaniard, Gimeno-Traver has quite a nice game to watch and if he wasn't such a head-case, he would be ranked a lot higher. It's good to see him do well this week. :yeah:

The Prince
09-21-2012, 09:42 PM
DGT you beauty! :D

jrm
09-21-2012, 11:24 PM
DGT in semis of indoor tournament :tape:

what a chance missed Grega :o

n8
09-22-2012, 12:19 AM
DGT in good form since June. Cutting his ranking from 125 to 74 (provisional).

Hian-GOAT
09-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Sombrerero pussy go back cheering for your talentless Spanish scrubs, but Onion is better than The likes of SHITmeno-Traver :wavey: