The dumbest article ever on bleacherreport ... must see it ! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The dumbest article ever on bleacherreport ... must see it !

TBkeeper
09-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Rafael Nadal: Injuries Won't Derail Tennis Star's Rise to Greatest of All Time

After battling tendinitis in his knee throughout 2012, tennis star Rafael Nadal has taken a few months off from action to get back to 100 percent health.

At only 26 years old, Nadal still has plenty of time to continue his ascension to the title of greatest men’s tennis player of all time.

While being eliminated early at Wimbledon before missing the Olympics and the U.S. Open to close 2012 is no way to spend a season, the injuries that Nadal had been suffering have now been given the proper time to heal.
The rest and rehab the tennis star has been concentrating on for the last few months has not only allowed him a chance to get back to where he was physically, but it has given Nadal a new outlook on the sport and his career as a whole.

Nadal looked his tennis mortality right in the face and now knows exactly what it will take to be the greatest of all time.

Fox News Latino is reporting about what Nadal said at a Vanity Fair event concerning how long he wanted his career to continue, and his new outlook on the sport and his career as a whole:

"I don't know how long I will keep playing tennis. I'll be 31 in five years and taking into account the fact that I started at 16 ... Perhaps stopping now will help extend my career a little bit more. Until I had the problems with the knee again, the final at Roland Garros, had been one of the best seasons of my life. I felt able to win any competition. Complicated times came later.

Success is not the victory, it's what you've done to win. The knowledge that you've done everything in your power to achieve what you wanted. That feeling makes me very happy. This year I lost the final in Australia and I didn't like it, but I was happy in some ways. It was a success to have lost like that."

While there is no question that it will be difficult for Nadal to return to the courts and continue winning tournaments as he was before the injuries, the tennis veteran knows that he must win to cement his legacy.

There may not be many tournaments left in the legs of Roger Federer, and Novak Djokovic has proven he can be beaten, so Nadal knows that he will have an easier time getting the Grand Slam wins now than at any other point in his career.

If Nadal returns to 100 percent and can stay healthy for the majority of his career, there is no doubt that the star could win six Grand Slams in five years and tie Federer’s mark. With Nadal owning the distinctive edge when the two battled, Nadal will be considered the better champion if they finish their careers with the same amount of Grand Slam wins.

Winning six Grand Slams—period—isn’t easy, but doing that over just five years makes this feat unbelievably tough.

Good news for Nadal is that he is arguably the most talented tennis player of all time. All he needs is some cooperation from his health to prove that there was never a better player in the sport’s history than the Spanish star.

Lolololwut :D :D since this moment i have read articles there but .. this is too much :D especially "Good news for Nadal is that he is arguably the most talented tennis player of all time."
I had a lot of laugh there :D :D

finishingmove
09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
It's true actually :\

Life must suck if you're not a Nadal fan.

Sanya
09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I wanted to highlight some quotes first, but it`s hard choice. :) Maybe only this.

Good news for Nadal is that he is arguably the most talented tennis player of all time.

:lol:

v-money
09-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Nadal is still young in tennis years. After all, injury faking is easier on the body than actual injuries. Could become GOAT for sure.

MaxPower
09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
As for the article- obvious tard is obvious. that site doesn't really have high demands to post an "article"

As for the content:

Nadal will find that he's not gonna be as fast anymore in his late 20s, early 30s. Fed adapted. Doubt Nadal can adapt.

Basically two paths for Nadal.

Option one is to try to continue like he does. That will lead to injuries and fast decline as he ages.

the other is to improve his serve and get over his net-phobia and try to get some free points instead of having to grind so much. Doubt he got the talent for that kind of game.

Either way im not gonna rule out option one due to modern medicine and "spanish doctors" so he can probably find a way to grind and moonball his way to a few more majors. But ofc he will never reach Federer. That train left the station in 2011 with his fails to the Djoker.

Mountaindewslave
09-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Rafael Nadal: Injuries Won't Derail Tennis Star's Rise to Greatest of All Time

After battling tendinitis in his knee throughout 2012, tennis star Rafael Nadal has taken a few months off from action to get back to 100 percent health.

At only 26 years old, Nadal still has plenty of time to continue his ascension to the title of greatest men’s tennis player of all time.

While being eliminated early at Wimbledon before missing the Olympics and the U.S. Open to close 2012 is no way to spend a season, the injuries that Nadal had been suffering have now been given the proper time to heal.
The rest and rehab the tennis star has been concentrating on for the last few months has not only allowed him a chance to get back to where he was physically, but it has given Nadal a new outlook on the sport and his career as a whole.

Nadal looked his tennis mortality right in the face and now knows exactly what it will take to be the greatest of all time.

Fox News Latino is reporting about what Nadal said at a Vanity Fair event concerning how long he wanted his career to continue, and his new outlook on the sport and his career as a whole:

"I don't know how long I will keep playing tennis. I'll be 31 in five years and taking into account the fact that I started at 16 ... Perhaps stopping now will help extend my career a little bit more. Until I had the problems with the knee again, the final at Roland Garros, had been one of the best seasons of my life. I felt able to win any competition. Complicated times came later.

Success is not the victory, it's what you've done to win. The knowledge that you've done everything in your power to achieve what you wanted. That feeling makes me very happy. This year I lost the final in Australia and I didn't like it, but I was happy in some ways. It was a success to have lost like that."

While there is no question that it will be difficult for Nadal to return to the courts and continue winning tournaments as he was before the injuries, the tennis veteran knows that he must win to cement his legacy.

There may not be many tournaments left in the legs of Roger Federer, and Novak Djokovic has proven he can be beaten, so Nadal knows that he will have an easier time getting the Grand Slam wins now than at any other point in his career.

If Nadal returns to 100 percent and can stay healthy for the majority of his career, there is no doubt that the star could win six Grand Slams in five years and tie Federer’s mark. With Nadal owning the distinctive edge when the two battled, Nadal will be considered the better champion if they finish their careers with the same amount of Grand Slam wins.

Winning six Grand Slams—period—isn’t easy, but doing that over just five years makes this feat unbelievably tough.

Good news for Nadal is that he is arguably the most talented tennis player of all time. All he needs is some cooperation from his health to prove that there was never a better player in the sport’s history than the Spanish star.

Lolololwut :D :D since this moment i have read articles there but .. this is too much :D especially "Good news for Nadal is that he is arguably the most talented tennis player of all time."
I had a lot of laugh there :D :D

good article :) :yeah:

GSMnadal
09-19-2012, 06:23 PM
6 slams in 5 years. Almost sounds easy when you say it like that.

duong
09-19-2012, 06:30 PM
now knows exactly what it will take to be the greatest of all time.

did Nadal ever say that it was his goal as the author guesses ?

several times last year yes some interviews of Rafa's or Toni's suggested that they were eager to records, but he pretended having a so much more stoical philosophy before.

the rest of what the article says doesn't look dumb to me, too enthusiastically assertiove but I've read worse, including from Fedfans.

I've always said that Nadal is more gifted naturally for tennis than Federer and much more than Djokovic.

And yes, I think Nadal can get to 17 slams for sure, and anyway everytime he will win one, you can be sure there will be enthusiastic people including journalists analysing that he will for sure, and these articles will not be called dumb at that moment. Just the guy here didn't choose the right moment to write :lol:

DemiCrayanhan
09-19-2012, 06:32 PM
people read the bleacher report? as in for news and not for a laugh?

having said that, rafa will be back strong. no doubt.

pepita1964
09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Until some Posol does the damage again and will get to hear for other injury.

Sanya
09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
did Nadal ever say that it was his goal as the author guesses ?

several times last year yes some interviews of Rafa's or Toni's suggested that they were eager to records, but he pretended having a so much more stoical philosophy before.

the rest of what the article says doesn't look dumb to me, too enthusiastically assertiove but I've read worse, including from Fedfans.

I've always said that Nadal is more gifted naturally for tennis than Federer and much more than Djokovic.

And yes, I think Nadal can get to 17 slams for sure, and anyway everytime he will win one, you can be sure there will be enthusiastic people including journalists analysing that he will for sure, and these articles will not be called dumb at that moment. Just the guy here didn't choose the right moment to write :lol:

Can you explain what you mean here?

duong
09-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Can you explain what you mean here?

I have a big problem with the word "talent" comparing to many people : the natural gifts are not only about the "touch/instinct/vision", they are also about the physical abilities, also about the mental ones by the way.

I don't think any of the players, even working very hard, could have the physical abilities which Nadal has.

You need Nadal's genes to be able to reach that level of physicality. I saw pictures of Nadal's as a young boy : he already looked very strong and dynamic.

Besides why can't anybody play with the same style as him ? You can see players hitting shots like Federer (see Dimitrov), but noone like Nadal ! McEnroe's basic shots were like nobody else, for Nadal it's the same, but Fed hits some shots very nicely but it's "normal" shots, it's very prettily excluded but classical. I remember Castafiore told me that Toni had said that he had not taught his shots to Nadal : he instinctively played this way.

I don't believe that all this mainly comes from "hard work" : the guy says he couldn't practice in december and you saw how he played in the Australian Open ! before Monte-Carlo the same ... The guy eats Nutella chocolate every night before going to bed, we've seen him eat icecreams numerous times. When Djokovic makes unbelievably drastic diets !

No I deny all this is just mainly a matter of "hard work" and not mainly of talent.

He had special genes, special many things including energy, strength, dynamism, instinct, coordination ...

That said physically he's someone special, but he's not the first one like that : Borg also had an exceptional body, maybe even more than Nadal.

As for the "touch" in tennis, I don't know what in that is related to technique and what is related to pure "talent".

I believe more in physical gifts than in "technical" "talent".

Raferminator
09-19-2012, 06:55 PM
There may not be many tournaments left in the legs of Roger Frauderer, and Novak Djokovic has proven he can be beaten, so Nadal knows that he will have an easier time getting the Grand Slam wins now than at any other point in his career.

If Nadal returns to 100 percent and can stay healthy for the majority of his career, there is no doubt that the star could win six Grand Slams in five years and tie Frauderer’s mark. With Nadal owning the distinctive edge when the two battled, Nadal will be considered the better champion if they finish their careers with the same amount of Grand Slam wins.

This. :yeah:

Why did you underline the entire article and use such bizarre fonts? Underlining should be used for EMPHASIS only! :mad:

The original article link for those who want to rest their eyes and enjoy the contents and pictures:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1339978-rafael-nadal-injuries-wont-derail-tennis-stars-rise-to-greatest-of-all-time

Apophis
09-19-2012, 07:07 PM
The article reads like an MTF post.

uxyzapenje
09-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Nice 1st post OP :yeah: Seeing your stupid fonts hurt my eyes, so I won't read it...

Nr 1 Fan
09-19-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a big problem with the word "talent" comparing to many people : the natural gifts are not only about the "touch/instinct/vision", they are also about the physical abilities, also about the mental ones by the way.

I don't think any of the players, even working very hard, could have the physical abilities which Nadal has.

You need Nadal's genes to be able to reach that level of physicality : why can't anybody play with the same style as him ? You can see players hitting shots like Federer (see Dimitrov), but noone like Nadal ! I saw pictures of him as a young boy : he already looked very strong and dynamic.

I don't believe that all this mainly comes from "hard work" : the guy says he couldn't practice in december and you saw how he played in the Australian Open ! before Monte-Carlo the same ... The guy eats Nutella chocolate every night before going to bed, we've seen him eat icecreams numerous times. When Djokovic makes unbelievably drastic diets !

No I deny all this is just mainly a matter of "hard work" and not mainly of talent.

He had special genes.

That said, it was also Borg's case, who had an exceptional body.

As for the touch/instinct/vision, I don't know what in that is related to technique and what is related to pure "talent".

One of the better posts I've read on this forum in a while.
Nadal has the "talent" having a great body, without doing a lot for it (uncle Toni often says Nadal has never really been fitnessing a lot). Another "talent of him is how relentless he is and how can stay focused for 5 hours without a single blip in concentration. Those other talents than being able to hit the perfect BH or FH or serve, but they are equally useful in becoming a pro tennis player.

duong
09-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Another "talent of him is how relentless he is and how can stay focused for 5 hours without a single blip in concentration.

About his mental, we know from his biography especially that he had a very special training, even a very special "education" by his uncle, comparing to other players, which conditioned him a lot.

His uncle sending him balls in the face when he looked elsewhere, etc ...

And his uncle said that he could not have done that education if he hadn't been his family.

Nadal's parents let Toni do that because he was their family.

That said, Nadal surely had special "talents" for that as well.

Time Violation
09-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Besides why can't anybody play with the same style as him ? You can see players hitting shots like Federer (see Dimitrov), but noone like Nadal ! McEnroe's basic shots were like nobody else, for Nadal it's the same, but Fed hits some shots very nicely but it's "normal" shots, it's very prettily excluded but classical.

Cilic serves like no one else, but I don't think that will get him 17 slams :p

Looner
09-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Who let the Nadaltards out of MTF?

Federer in 2
09-19-2012, 07:32 PM
"There may not be many tournaments left in the legs of Roger Federer, and Novak Djokovic has proven he can be beaten, so Nadal knows that he will have an easier time getting the Grand Slam wins now than at any other point in his career."

OR

"There may not be many tournaments left in the legs of Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal seems to be suffering from injuries more than ever, so Djokovic knows that he will have an easier time getting the Grand Slam wins now than at any other point in his career."

OR

"Rafael Nadal seems to be suffering from injuries more than ever, and Novak Djokovic has proven he can be beaten, so Federer knows that he will have an easier time getting the Grand Slam wins now than at any other point in his career."

Good news for Nadal is that he is arguably the most talented tennis player of
all time.

Really? :stupid:

Nr 1 Fan
09-19-2012, 07:33 PM
About his mental, we know from his biography especially that he had a very special training, even a very special "education" by his uncle, comparing to other players, which conditioned him a lot.

His uncle sending him balls in the face when he looked elsewhere, etc ...

And his uncle said that he could not have done that education if he hadn't been his family.

Nadal's parents let Toni do that because he was their family.

That said, Nadal surely had special "talents" for that as well.

I've read that too, but you can't just "create" a players mentality like that. His exceptional mentality is of course trained by uncle Toni, but you also got to have it in you. If Nadal wasn't exceptionally gifted in the mental area and in terms of fighting spirit, he would have just said to uncle "fuck this man, I am gonna play some playstation" but he didn't: he accepted these trainings and let uncle Toni made him even tougher than he is. What I want to say is: he has always been a terrific fighter and willing to sacrifice everything for his tennis.

Nr 1 Fan
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Cilic serves like no one else, but I don't think that will get him 17 slams :p

Bad comparison, Nadals shots are effective and I am sure other players would love to be able to hit like him. Not sure about Cilic' serve...

TigerTim
09-19-2012, 07:38 PM
:haha:

utter retards write on bleacher report.

I saw some article which claimed Federer had the best single handed backhand off all time :lol:

moon language
09-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Bleacher report has never been something to take seriously.

Aloevera
09-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Is the writer of that article somehow related to Trollander?

Sanya
09-19-2012, 08:23 PM

You need Nadal's genes to be able to reach that level of physicality. I saw pictures of Nadal's as a young boy : he already looked very strong and dynamic.

Besides why can't anybody play with the same style as him ? You can see players hitting shots like Federer (see Dimitrov), but noone like Nadal ! McEnroe's basic shots were like nobody else, for Nadal it's the same, but Fed hits some shots very nicely but it's "normal" shots, it's very prettily excluded but classical. I remember Castafiore told me that Toni had said that he had not taught his shots to Nadal : he instinctively played this way.

He had special genes, special many things including energy, strength, dynamism, instinct, coordination ...

That said physically he's someone special, but he's not the first one like that : Borg also had an exceptional body, maybe even more than Nadal.

As for the "touch" in tennis, I don't know what in that is related to technique and what is related to pure "talent".

I understood. Well, I have more "classik" position I guess. If I had tried to find close word to what I mean in "talent" speaking about tennis, I would chose "shotmaking". The more possible shots from different positions (differents surfaces-bounce-position on court) you can create, the more talented player you are. Easier - the more different things you can do on court, if you can regularly win points in different ways, the more talented you are (I mean for me :)).

Nothing wrong with Nadal, he is talented tennis player. But no, not in the same league with Federer. :shrug:

paseo
09-19-2012, 08:40 PM

No one has ever deny Nadal's gift in physical abilities. He's a freak of nature. But, that is NOT tennis talent. That's athletic/sports talent. Nadal would be great in almost every sport that promote speed & power. In terms of tennis talent though, a guy like Fed is way, way more talented than him.

You gotta understand, that from a technical point of view, what Fed is able to do on court is simply ridiculous. The balance, timing and precision are impeccable. And please don't mention Dimitrov. That kid is all style with little substance. You know why he can't play as effectively as Fed? Because his balance, timing and precision are nowhere near Fed's level. Not to mention the difference in instinct (Well, that's not exactly technical but mental :p). Dimitrov will never be as good as Fed. So, no one plays like Fed also.

Talent is the ability to do something that most find hard, more easily and do it better. There's a talent for "touch", too.

End da Game
09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Its true, every one knows clay is the most relevant surface in tennis, why even try to deny this? :shrug:

One RG is worth at least 5 wimbledons. Nadal knew this and tanked his game to Rosol to get some early holiday instead of wasting his time on that mug grass surface.

TigerTim
09-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Its true, every one knows clay is the most relevant surface in tennis, why even try to deny this? :shrug:

One RG is worth at least 5 wimbledons. Nadal knew this and tanked his game to Rosol to get some early holiday instead of wasting his time on that mug grass surface.

agreed. One Roland Garros is worth 5 Wimbledons. Which is why Guga is a superior player to Federer as well as Nadal.

scarecrows
09-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Raferminator wrote it

TBkeeper
09-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice 1st post OP :yeah: Seeing your stupid fonts hurt my eyes, so I won't read it...

lolWUT ? that's not my 1rst post .....

Kat_YYZ
09-19-2012, 10:24 PM
6 slams in 5 years. Almost sounds easy when you say it like that.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/28900000/roger-funny-tennis-28973126-120-95.gif
2003-2007: 12 slams in 5 years.

Allez
09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
A very good and well written article from a knowledgeable source.

The truth must hurt so bad haterz :lol: suk suk sukit good ;)

TigerTim
09-19-2012, 10:26 PM
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/28900000/roger-funny-tennis-28973126-120-95.gif

:zzz:

GSMnadal
09-19-2012, 10:28 PM

Safe to say Nadal will end up with at least 23 slams then.

Orka_n
09-19-2012, 10:58 PM
"Most talented tennis player of all time" hahahaha

He's nothing but a moonballing robot who wasn't allowed a childhood.

One RG is worth at least 5 wimbledons. Nadal knew this and tanked his game to Rosol to get some early holiday instead of wasting his time on that mug grass surface.Love your username. Love it.

BigJohn
09-19-2012, 11:00 PM

Safe to say a couple of other things actually...

Mark Lenders
09-19-2012, 11:24 PM
The article is biased and over the top, but there's no doubt Nadal is amazingly talented tennis player and an outrageously gifted athlete, you'd have to be a hater to deny that. He could definitely keep winning Slams in the coming years.

atennisfan
09-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Too many LUL WUT?!? moments in the article, hard to choose which one is more hilarious than the next. But these are my personal favorites

If Nadal returns to 100 percent and can stay healthy for the majority of his career, there is no doubt that the star could win six Grand Slams in five years and tie Federer’s mark.

Good news for Nadal is that he is arguably the most talented tennis player of all time.

:haha::smash::rolls::apumpkin::facepalm::facepalm:

Who wrote this article?
Must be an MTF Nadulltard. Is that you Start Da Game?

Johnny Groove
09-19-2012, 11:34 PM
6 more slams is ridiculous.

1-2 is more realistic, 3 more to tie Sampras at 14 being the absolute max.

atennisfan
09-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Who let the Nadaltards out of MTF?

This.

I think it's Start Da Game.

Ash86
09-19-2012, 11:44 PM

It's Bleacher Report - nothing from that can be taken seriously. Agreed that 6 seems nigh on impossible but don't agree that 14 is some sort of absolute limit - we don't know how Nadal will play on his return and we also don't know that landscape in the next few years. If Federer retires theoretically the slams may be mainly fought between just 3 players (assuming no one else steps up). Then draws, SF match ups etc. all come into it. Can see Nadal winning 2 RG, 1 Wim in the next 3 years. Another AO or Wim isn't totally out of the question.

If I had to bet I would say 3 more but nothing would surprise me. Saying 3 as everything he's said recently suggests he plans to play for as long as he can and for a good few more years - his doctors seem to think none of the damage is permanent and let's not forget he lost one set on real clay (the Madrid fiasco can't tell us much about future clay performances) this year which was only 4/5 months ago - that was to Djokovic in unusual conditions. Otherwise he fought off Ferrer twice, Djokovic 3 times and an inspired Berdych - frankly just by maintaining a clay level like that he can win 2 RG easily. One more out of the 10+ slams to 2016 seems achievable..

Back to the article though - load of nonsense. Nadal's one of the all time greats but talking about "most talented ever" etc. doesn't even merit discussion.

Mountaindewslave
09-19-2012, 11:51 PM
One of the better posts I've read on this forum in a while.
Nadal has the "talent" having a great body, without doing a lot for it (uncle Toni often says Nadal has never really been fitnessing a lot). Another "talent of him is how relentless he is and how can stay focused for 5 hours without a single blip in concentration. Those other talents than being able to hit the perfect BH or FH or serve, but they are equally useful in becoming a pro tennis player.

what Duong was elaborating upon was the fact that Nadal's groundstrokes themselves are very talented- there is a reason no other players on tour can really emulate him and hit the ball like he does; he grew up with a very unique style with extreme spin and it a very talented way to play. no one can do it because it is not easy, maybe partially due to the hard work needed, but also due to the just natural talent it takes.

this is often taken for granted, people criticize Nadal as a hack often who relies purely on his athletical prowless, yet he plays a style (and I mean as far as his groundstrokes, point construction, etc) that no other players can do in today's game or in the past. he is unique and full of talent

Nr 1 Fan
No one has ever deny Nadal's gift in physical abilities. He's a freak of nature. But, that is NOT tennis talent. That's athletic/sports talent. Nadal would be great in almost every sport that promote speed & power. In terms of tennis talent though, a guy like Fed is way, way more talented than him.

You gotta understand, that from a technical point of view, what Fed is able to do on court is simply ridiculous. The balance, timing and precision are impeccable. And please don't mention Dimitrov. That kid is all style with little substance. You know why he can't play as effectively as Fed? Because his balance, timing and precision are nowhere near Fed's level. Not to mention the difference in instinct (Well, that's not exactly technical but mental :p). Dimitrov will never be as good as Fed. So, no one plays like Fed also.

Talent is the ability to do something that most find hard, more easily and do it better. There's a talent for "touch", too.

Then reason why Federers balance and precision on his shots are so good of course has to do with talent but is mostly due to hours and days and years of training. Those factors can be pretty much trained as much (of even more) than certain physical abilities. Federer can train as much as he want, he Will never have Nadals power or endurance. On the other hand I think It's "easier" for Nadal to improve his shots, precision and timing by working and training, thus proving this has maybe less to do with talent than his physical gifts.

Mark Lenders
'The most talented player of all-time' is BS though. It's impossible to determine who is worthy of such title; first because there's not a precise definition of talent, more importantly because for all we know the most talented player ever could be someone who simply never lived up to his potential and never did anything in tennis.

Allez
09-19-2012, 11:52 PM

lol the anti jinx. You'd probably not hesitate in agreeing that Fed will win 5 more slams. :)

1 more RG for Rafa ? Please be realistic. 3 more RGs at least. 2 more Wimbledon at least. 1 more AO at least.

Nr 1 Fan
09-20-2012, 12:00 AM
what Duong was elaborating upon was the fact that Nadal's groundstrokes themselves are very talented- there is a reason no other players on tour can really emulate him and hit the ball like he does; he grew up with a very unique style with extreme spin and it a very talented way to play. no one can do it because it is not easy, maybe partially due to the hard work needed, but also due to the just natural talent it takes.

this is often taken for granted, people criticize Nadal as a hack often who relies purely on his athletical prowless, yet he plays a style (and I mean as far as his groundstrokes, point construction, etc) that no other players can do in today's game or in the past. he is unique and full of talent

Yes , my "talents" weren't mean sarcastically, I was giving duong credit for his good post because I also agree that the word talent is often under used. I agree he hits groundstrokes in a unique way, but this also wouldn't be possible without his fanatsic athletical talent. You have to have a lot of power in the upper body to execute certain shots like he does and I meant that this physical strength is his main talent, because he never really did that much to become this powerful.

TigerTim
09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
lol the anti jinx. You'd probably not hesitate in agreeing that Fed will win 5 more slams. :)

1 more RG for Rafa ? Please be realistic. 3 more RGs at least. 2 more Wimbledon at least. 1 more AO at least.

You contradicted yourself.

atennisfan
09-20-2012, 12:35 AM
You contradicted yourself.

He jinxed the anti-jinxed that Groove threw.

dazed1
09-20-2012, 12:38 AM

I would say like 27 at least.

redshift36188
09-20-2012, 12:39 AM
'The most talented player of all-time' is BS though. It's impossible to determine who is worthy of such title; first because there's not a precise definition of talent, more importantly because for all we know the most talented player ever could be someone who simply never lived up to his potential and never did anything in tennis.
True but it is easy to determine Nadal isn't the one. :D

KarlyM
09-20-2012, 12:45 AM
An extremely dumb articles on Bleacher Report is not anything new. I'm sure most tabloids have tougher submission standards than them. :spit:

Edda
09-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Bleacher Report should be called "Blecch Report." It is normally full of hate. Peter "Bozo" Bodo is the absolute worst. He is a Nadal hater and also referred to Juan Carlos Ferrero's 2010 surgery in the crassest possible terms, calling it a "two for one job." That's disgusting!

Mountaindewslave
09-20-2012, 02:52 AM

ridiculous? really? I do not think 5 more is even that unrealistic. everyone is predicting based on an entirely unknown entity; Nadal's form after return from injury. If he came back and won AO right out of the gates I think 6 would be far from 'ridiculous'

he's got good odds at Roland Garros for at least 3 more seasons and it would not be surprising if he won an odd grand slam here or there besides that

people let the present get into their brains too much. of course he could come back to win no more grand slams BUT it is absurd to assume his career is practically over when we haven't seen him play in months and the last time he was playing he was just weeks off of winning a grand slam

give it time

Johnny Groove
09-20-2012, 03:10 AM

Funny how on MTF, speaking honestly means some sort of jinxing agenda :lol:

He jinxed the anti-jinxed that Groove threw.

:lol:

ridiculous? really? I do not think 5 more is even that unrealistic. everyone is predicting based on an entirely unknown entity; Nadal's form after return from injury. If he came back and won AO right out of the gates I think 6 would be far from 'ridiculous'

he's got good odds at Roland Garros for at least 3 more seasons and it would not be surprising if he won an odd grand slam here or there besides that

people let the present get into their brains too much. of course he could come back to win no more grand slams BUT it is absurd to assume his career is practically over when we haven't seen him play in months and the last time he was playing he was just weeks off of winning a grand slam

give it time

Him winning 6 more slams is probably as likely as the Rosol match being the last match he ever plays :shrug:

BroTree123
09-20-2012, 03:15 AM
Opinions are opinions. Why dem haters getting their knickers in a twist :confused:

MTwEeZi
09-20-2012, 03:24 AM
I see nothing wrong with the article. FYI Everko works for Bleacher Report.

https://www.google.com/search?q=federer+will+fall+site:bleacherreport.com

Smoke944
09-20-2012, 03:26 AM

what banned poster are you? :lol:

Topspindoctor
09-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Opinions are opinions. Why dem haters getting their knickers in a twist :confused:

Probably Noserer fangirls scared about Nadal's return so they need to pat each other on the back and reassure themselves :shrug:

edit: omfg :haha: your avatar

SerialKillerToBe
09-20-2012, 03:33 AM

give it time

Nadull winning another hard court slam. :superlol: He barely won RG this year (rain saved him).

Topspindoctor
09-20-2012, 03:35 AM
Nadull winning another hard court slam. :superlol: He barely won RG last year (rain saved him).

Rain saved Djokovic from being straight setted is more like it. 6-4 6-3 2-0, remember...? Also having to save MP's against Clownga on clay and mugging around for 5 sets... :o

SerialKillerToBe
09-20-2012, 03:37 AM
Rain saved Djokovic from being straight setted is more like it. 6-4 6-3 2-0, remember...? Also having to save MP's against Clownga on clay and mugging around for 5 sets... :o

Losing 2-0 is different from losing 8 games in a row.

BroTree123
09-20-2012, 03:40 AM
Sadly we will never know what would have happened if that 2nd rain delay didn't happen. But I doubt Nole would have turned it around. If he can't even do it against Mugray.... :o :facepalm:, then how would it be possible against Nadal :o

Topspindoctor
09-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Losing 2-0 is different from losing 8 games in a row.

Your argument was that the rain saved Nadal - when in reality he was cruising 2 sets up with a break in the third and totally lost his plot because the conditions changed...Djokovic did handle the weather better, good on him.

However, the reverse argument could also be made for Nadal coming out in better form the next day, immediatly breaking back and playing a little better (though both were mediocre).

I mean in AO this year, Nadal was a break up in the 5th, just had to hold twice. He couldn't do it, but it was close. I'd say Nadal was a lot closer to winning AO than Djokovic to winning RG, rain or no rain. It wasn't even a 5 setter.

Topspindoctor
09-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Sadly we will never know what would have happened if that 2nd rain delay didn't happen. But I doubt Nole would have turned it around. If he can't even do it against Mugray.... :o :facepalm:, then how would it be possible against Nadal :o

We never know, if they continued to play in the rain (not feasible) - Nadal wasn't interested in the match wasn't adjusting well to the conditions and was bitching like Noserer after he breaks a fingernail and that was affecting his play - it was as bad as the IW fiaso with the wind. On the other hand he could also have won his 3rd RG title without dropping a set, in sunny, high bouncing conditions, I simply disagree with people saying that "Nadal was saved by the rain", which just isn't true.

..Anyway, that match has little relevance if compared to this year's USO. Mandy lucked out with schedule, no Nadal, Noserer lucked out, faced chokers and he pretty much grinded down Djokovic in the end. We'll see what happens at AO, I have a feeling Mandy is in for a disappointment if he thinks his road to slams will be as easy as this year's USO :)

rocketassist
09-20-2012, 03:59 AM
We never know, if they continued to play in the rain (not feasible) - Nadal wasn't interested in the match wasn't adjusting well to the conditions and was bitching like Noserer after he breaks a fingernail and that was affecting his play - it was as bad as the IW fiaso with the wind. On the other hand he could also have won his 3rd RG title without dropping a set, in sunny, high bouncing conditions, I simply disagree with people saying that "Nadal was saved by the rain", which just isn't true.

..Anyway, that match has little relevance if compared to this year's USO. Mandy lucked out with schedule, no Nadal, Noserer lucked out, faced chokers and he pretty much grinded down Djokovic in the end. We'll see what happens at AO, I have a feeling Mandy is in for a disappointment if he thinks his road to slams will be as easy as this year's USO :)

If Nadal had taken Ferrer's quarter Murray's win would have been even easier. Djoker easily brushed Ferrer aside in that delayed semi. Imagine having to face Nadal instead? A 5 hour war and the bones would have been picked apart the next day.

Chirag
09-20-2012, 08:35 AM
:haha:

duong
09-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I've read that too, but you can't just "create" a players mentality like that. His exceptional mentality is of course trained by uncle Toni, but you also got to have it in you. If Nadal wasn't exceptionally gifted in the mental area and in terms of fighting spirit, he would have just said to uncle "fuck this man, I am gonna play some playstation" but he didn't: he accepted these trainings and let uncle Toni made him even tougher than he is. What I want to say is: he has always been a terrific fighter and willing to sacrifice everything for his tennis.

partly this, partly he was very obedient, I don't think Toni would have reacted well if Rafael had told him that, for sure he would have received a huge slap, not all parents are like weak modern parents :lol:

he would have complained to his parents for sure, but it seems that Nadal's parents were aware of that anyway.

duong
09-20-2012, 09:19 AM
And please don't mention Dimitrov. That kid is all style with little substance. You know why he can't play as effectively as Fed? Because his balance, timing and precision are nowhere near Fed's level. Not to mention the difference in instinct (Well, that's not exactly technical but mental :p).

I think the main difference between Fed and Dimitrov is the speed of the footwork, Dimitrov has good balance imo but not so good timing, yes.

duong
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I understood. Well, I have more "classik" position I guess. If I had tried to find close word to what I mean in "talent" speaking about tennis, I would chose "shotmaking". The more possible shots from different positions (differents surfaces-bounce-position on court) you can create, the more talented player you are. Easier - the more different things you can do on court, if you can regularly win points in different ways, the more talented you are (I mean for me :)).

Nothing wrong with Nadal, he is talented tennis player. But no, not in the same league with Federer. :shrug:

that's why I didn't say Nadal was "the most talented", but that he was "more gifted" than Federer. But I can accept what the guy from Bleacherreport meant as it probably was the overall "natural gift"

I don't like the word "talent" at all because it means different things in the meantime :

- natural gift (opposed to hard work generally), which includes many aspects which are not included in what people often use for the word "talent" in tennis, which is a very specific sport for the use of the word "talent", I think.

- "technical" talent

The problem is that, as people in tennis only want to speak of "technical talent", they don't speak of "natural gift", also hence the way Nadal is always described as the hardest worker of all, which imo is wrong : his uncle said that they never needed to practise fitnessing because Nadal was so strong naturally, and his uncle even said that there are exercises he can't practise because of his knee ! I'm not sure but I think he can't run especially. Running has always been a big part of training in tennis, speak to Ferrer or Lendl or Monfils or many others. Djokovic for sure has to work harder than Nadal as he's less naturally gifted (the question may also be raised if he uses PEDs but that's another question).

Besides, I think Nadal is hugely talented, also for what people mean usually in tennis, although probably not as much as Fed.

duong
09-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Then reason why Federers balance and precision on his shots are so good of course has to do with talent but is mostly due to hours and days and years of training. Those factors can be pretty much trained as much (of even more) than certain physical abilities. Federer can train as much as he want, he Will never have Nadals power or endurance. On the other hand I think It's "easier" for Nadal to improve his shots, precision and timing by working and training, thus proving this has maybe less to do with talent than his physical gifts.

yes that's the biggest question : what's more related to natural gifts or to training ? Nadal's physique or Fed's "balance and precision" ?

The way people use "talent" in tennis only for "balance, touch, timing and precision" whereas "talent" also is supposed to mean "natural gift", seems to mean that this is the only thing which can't be reached only by work.
And seems to mean that physical power can anyway be reached through hard work.

I'm sorry : I think like you that hardly anybody on Tour could get Nadal's physical strength whatever their work. And it was the same for Borg. I think both are freaks of nature. Toni indeed said that Nadal didn't need to practise fitness because he was so strong naturally.

And it's not clear to me at all that it's easier to get Nadal's physique through hard work than Fed's balance and precision.

PS : Nadal also has a great timing, balance and precision and Fed a great physique, of course.

GSMnadal
09-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Title needs to be changed, it's a very good article :rolleyes:

duong
09-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Yes , my "talents" weren't mean sarcastically, I was giving duong credit for his good post because I also agree that the word talent is often under used. I agree he hits groundstrokes in a unique way, but this also wouldn't be possible without his fanatsic athletical talent. You have to have a lot of power in the upper body to execute certain shots like he does and I meant that this physical strength is his main talent, because he never really did that much to become this powerful.

I think, probably like you, that his shots need both great physique and great "balance, timing and precision". There's no doubt that Nadal has an unbelievable coordination as well.

But I think his shots need an unbelievable physique as well.

For one reason especially : the biggest problems of players who use a lot of spin, who are few in modern days comparing to the time of Carlsson and Perez-Roldan, is to have depth and speed in these shots.

IF your spinned shots have no depth as it sometimes happens to Nadal and as it especially happened to him in his young age on hardcourts, you're killed by modern hitters.

I think Nadal's main improvement with time has been more depth in his shots than playing "flatter" as some think.

Looner
09-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Even if this article was bleached, it'll still be a POS.

Action Jackson
09-20-2012, 09:59 AM
MTF has enough clowns, don't need import stuff from the Bleacher Report.

Pusha T
09-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Honestly, this is an above-average article for the BR.

Rafa will probably win several more slams but fall short of the record.

duong
09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I agree he hits groundstrokes in a unique way, but this also wouldn't be possible without his fanatsic athletical talent. You have to have a lot of power in the upper body to execute certain shots like he does and I meant that this physical strength is his main talent, because he never really did that much to become this powerful.

Funny I saw these words by Jack Kramer in Tignor's post about Fred Perry :

Kramer claimed that Perry had, unwittingly, “Screwed up tennis in England...The way he could hit a forehand, snap if off like a ping-pong shot—Perry was a physical freak. The kids there copied his style, and it ruined them.”

bokehlicious
09-20-2012, 10:50 AM
More important question, can Rafa become the poker GOAT? Bamos!