Who will win the 2013 Davis Cup and Draw Dicussion Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will win the 2013 Davis Cup and Draw Dicussion Thread

Action Jackson
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Lets see which of the long term predictions will get it right and home team is first.

Canada v Spain
Italy v Croatia
Belgium v Serbia
USA v Brazil
France v Israel
Argentina v Germany
Kazakhstan v Austria
Switzerland v Czech Republic

TennisOnWood
09-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Spain or USA

duong
09-19-2012, 10:45 AM
To the question : Argentina for me.

Argentina would receive France in the quarters.

In semis, with Switzerland it would be decided by lot (has it been decided already ?), with Czech Republic they would have to go away.

I'm very happy about this draw both for Argentina and Switzerland (considering they're unseeded only Kazakhstan would have been better and they would receive them or Austria in quarters), the two countries I support in this competition, although I'm French.

I think Fed has the best chance of his life for a draw :yeah:

I just hope he will be fit in february, as he's often had illnesses or injuries in that period in the past.

feuselino
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Great chance for Switzerland, the first round will probably be decided when Fed plays Berdych (if both show up to play!) - what court would they choose? Probably clay, even with the bad experience from this year...

Action Jackson
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Canada going to have a very fast surface and should be in Calgary which is 1049m above sea level.

duong
09-19-2012, 10:53 AM
USA would receive Serbia in quarters : Djokovic being in Miami the week before, he would have no excuses to miss this tie except injury.

Spain will finally start playing away, including the quarters.

The semis in the USA or Serbia as well.

Anyway, considering the DC rule, Spain would have to play away against nearly all of the other countries, because they've received nearly all the time in recent years.

duong
09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Great chance for Switzerland, the first round will probably be decided when Fed plays Berdych (if both show up to play!) - what court would they choose? Probably clay, even with the bad experience from this year...

clay would be better but not sure if the Swiss are able to make a proper claycourt in that period :rolleyes:

They have no permanent one and building one for the occasion would lead to heavy risks of making a very bad one like last year heavy.

They might play on a slow indoor hardcourt, it would be easier, and fit previous weeks' conditions in Australia if Fed goes far in that competition.

TigerTim
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Canada going to have a very fast surface and should be in Calgary which is 1049m above sea level.

Raonic to win 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 6-7, 7-5 :devil:

duong
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
In the draw, the choice of ground in case of a lot for next rounds has been written : the semifinal between Argentina and Switzerland would be in Argentina :

http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/world-group.aspx

Corey Feldman
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Do the swiss ever get an easy draw?

do the fken Spanish ever get a difficult one?

August
09-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm smelling a rigged draw, to see a Fedal match in the final.

iriraz
09-19-2012, 11:15 AM

I think the Swiss should be happy with this draw.I mean,it`s tough as an unseeded team to get an easy opponent so playing the Czechs at home is ok.Obviously Kazakhstan would have been the easiest tie but most of the ties would have been difficult,especially if they had to travel to Argentina.
So,having a home tie increases the chances for Federer to play.

duong
09-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Yes, this year is the first one in that case !!

considering the seeding system, it could not have been better for Switzerland (except that I think it would have been better to receive the Kazakhs first then the Czechs in the quarters as in the beginning of april, maybe the Swiss could have played on outdoor clay although difficult)

The same for Spaniards : they could only get a seed 7 or 8 in the quarters, which means Croatia or Kazakhstan.

And for the first round, they will have not only a fast surface (not very fast, it's forbidden in Davis cup now although the altitude can help, I saw the surface the Canadians had against France this year, it was in Vancouver and fast but still an "usual" surface) but also a huge jetlag : if Nadal goes far in Australia and wants to play the tie (far from done as he hardly plays Davis cup away from home and he had said one year ago that he "gave up his Davis cup carreer") it will be a trip with a huge jet-lag and with only one week between, not 2 weeks like this year.

Looner
09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I will go for France with a rejuvenated Monfils.

Action Jackson
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
People think Federer is going to play a full DC season two years in a row.

duong
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
People think Federer is going to play a full DC season two years in a row.

people think what they want but I think some on MTF have had a simple opinion about Fed and Davis cup popularized many years ago and can't imagine it can be more complex and different, and there's no "Davis cup season", only several ties separated from each other from a long distance.

Corey Feldman
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
if Swiss play Argie in semis it'll be held in Arg, so thats the end of the line

Fed will know this and wont bother with DC in 2013

Sophitia36
09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
It all depends whether Nadal can play, but if Spain has both Nadal and Ferrer... I do not really see them losing.

France and Argentina would be my other picks.

duong
09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
It all depends whether Nadal can play, but if Spain has both Nadal and Ferrer... I do not really see them losing.

France and Argentina would be my other picks.

"can" play ?

he announced officially after last year's final that he would stop playing Davis cup.

Ferrer was less clear and finally decided to play again.

_Chaz
09-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Yeahhhhh absolute worst case scenario for Germany :rolleyes: And the Austrians get the easiest team for the 2nd year in a row and will then be seeded from next year on if they manage to beat the Russian-Kazakhs :o

We would've played at home against nearly everyone, but of course we get Argentinia away. We lost badly to them this year so it will get even worse in Parque Roca next February.

duong
09-19-2012, 11:37 AM
if Swiss play Argie in semis it'll be held in Arg, so thats the end of the line

Fed will know this and wont bother with DC in 2013

Fed will do as usual : go round by round, if he's fit, he will play the first round, and then he'll see, round by round.

Everything can happen in the semi and Wawrinka is a very good claycourt player.

Who knows ? He may have a shit year in slams, lose early in the US Open, and then the Davis cup may appear as the only way to save his year. Things like that happened for many players in the past. First win the first two ties, which are winnable, then see.

Castafiore
09-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Belgium vs Serbia.
:spit:

he announced officially after last year's final that he would stop playing Davis cup.
He explained later on that he was talking about the forthcoming DC ties but that was not a definite reply.

duong
09-19-2012, 11:39 AM
He explained later on that he was talking about the forthcoming DC ties but that was not a definite reply.

when did he say that ? only when he thought of coming back for the semi or before ?

Castafiore
09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
when did he say that ?
Some time in February, IIRC.

duong
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Some time in February, IIRC.

thanks for the info.

I think he should be more careful about his communication everywhere it was written "Nadal stops Davis cup" ... as well as Ferrer and Lopez, and Verdasco a few days later of course it made drama ! Besides, clearly it's his announcement which led to the other players' words.

If he only meant "I will play Davis cup less often" (and he had already missed quite many of the DC ties before, especially when playing away, which is what Spain was going to do in coming years -they were lucky with the draw in 2012- considering the rule), he didn't need to talk much.

Even in recent times I had the impression that his communication is not well managed : clear and coherent, harmonized between several persons, is always the best.

Snowwy
09-19-2012, 11:50 AM

Apparently the surface is illegal now.

Action Jackson
09-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Apparently the surface is illegal now.

No stuff like Danny Nestor serving 53 aces against Guga in 5 sets, but they will go to the fastest level possible.

Chirag
09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
why cant canada choose a fast surface .US chose one in 2011 ?

Litotes
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Why not just play indoors in Basel? It's not as if Federer normally struggles there....

Chirag
09-19-2012, 12:10 PM
But Wawrinka also needs to have the surface suitable for him so that he can beat Steps and try to win in doubles

duong
09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
why cant canada choose a fast surface .US chose one in 2011 ?

the surface in the USA was not very fast

Corey Feldman
09-19-2012, 12:15 PM
i'm actually picking the Argies to win it

Litotes
09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
But Wawrinka also needs to have the surface suitable for him so that he can beat Steps and try to win in doubles

He reached the SF last year (L to Federer) and the Q the time before that (2009, L to Djokovic). He should have decent chances in Basel also, even though Stepanek's record is similar.

Berdych, however, has lost in R1 in Basel three years in a row.

iriraz
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
i'm actually picking the Argies to win it

The problem is except Del Potro they don`t have any top guy to win the big matches.U never know if Nalbandian will keep on playing and even Del Potro isn`t sure with his injury history.Guys like Monaco or Berlocq or who knows who can`t be trusted to win a big DC rubber.

duong
09-19-2012, 12:25 PM
The problem is except Del Potro they don`t have any top guy to win the big matches.U never know if Nalbandian will keep on playing and even Del Potro isn`t sure with his injury history.Guys like Monaco or Berlocq or who knows who can`t be trusted to win a big DC rubber.

Argentina will always play at home next year except if they have to play in the Czech Republic (they won in Czech Republic two years ago). And on clay, Monaco can beat many players.

He was still near from beating Berdych last week-end and Berdych was on good form.

If they're at home, Argentina's main problem is the doubles, but I think it's possible to make a good double for clay with Nalbandian and another one.

misty1
09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
i wont predict who will win but my thoughts:

- canada and germany got screwed over again with 2 of the toughest first rounds possible. Canada isnt beating spain if they couldnt beat france. Germany MIGHT have a shot at argentina if kohli and haas play but thats a big maybe

- without ljubo italy has a serious shot at the upset over croatia

- Belgium got one of the hardest draws. Although if novak doesnt play this is another one like with argentina and germany that i could poossibly see belgium winning but it would take alot of luck. They could win the doubles and, again if novak doesnt play then ..who knows?

- United states should win comfortably.

- kazakhstan and austria got giften this draw..neither one should be in the world group and they keep getting soft draws

- Switzerland v.s Czech republic should be the tie of the round. Very interesting. But if federer doesnt play then czech should roll through

Federer in 2
09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Switzerland :bounce:

finishingmove
09-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Great draw for Serbia!

Going for the title again.

duong
09-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Belgium will probably receive Serbia on clay, just after the Australian Open.

Long jetlag between Australia and Argentina-Germany as well.

canada and germany got screwed over again with 2 of the toughest first rounds possible. Canada isnt beating spain if they couldnt beat france.

Spain of course will be big favorite but as for the match against France, the double was a very good one and very tight (Llodra-Benneteau against Raonic-Nestor) and Raonic could not play the last single because of the doctors who had given him a bad advice, it seems.

Who knows ? On a fast surface, Raonic might win two singles, and the doubles, but it would be surprising.

Wing Man Frank
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Would be nice to see Djokovic play all the rubbers. If he did, fancy Serbia as dark horses.

duong
09-19-2012, 01:09 PM
For Fed, it would be better playing a DC semifinal in Argentina with a chance for a DC final than a play-off who knows where.

Maybe it will be his last chance to "save" his year, who knows.

uxyzapenje
09-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Would be nice to see Djokovic play all the rubbers. If he did, fancy Serbia as dark horses.

Lol wut? Dark horses? If Novak plays we are the no1 favourites... Spain will have to come to us and who knows what form will Rafa be in...

Wing Man Frank
09-19-2012, 01:12 PM
For Fed, it would be better playing a DC semifinal in Argentina with a chance for a DC final than a play-off who knows where.

Maybe it will be his last chance to "save" his year, who knows.

What sort of surface do you think they'd play the Czechs on? Can't decide myself. I guess indoor hard? I'm not too familiar with the sorts of surfaces available to them.

nick the greek
09-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Cry some more.

duong
09-19-2012, 01:24 PM
What sort of surface do you think they'd play the Czechs on? Can't decide myself. I guess indoor hard? I'm not too familiar with the sorts of surfaces available to them.

I think indoor hard, because they have no permanent indoor claycourt and last year, they realized after the tie against the USA that it was very tough to make a proper one for that time of the year because of the coldness in Switzerland.

Moreover, this year, the tie will be the week after the Australian open and not one week later, and Fed will probably prefer playing on a indoor hardcourt at this moment.

But I think they would choose a slow one, as it's better for Wawrinka and worse for Stepanek.

Wawrinka often gives problems to Berdych by the way. He leads the H2H 5-4 (3-4 on hardcourts, 0-3 indoors)

Wing Man Frank
09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I think indoor hard, because they have no permanent indoor claycourt and last year, they said after the tie against the USA that it was tough to make a proper one for one occasion because of the coldness in Switzerland at that time of year.

Moreover, this year, the tie will be the week after the Australian open and not one week later, and Fed will probably prefer playing on a indoor hardcourt at this moment.

But I think they would choose a slow one, as it's better for Wawrinka and worse for Stepanek.

Wawrinka often gives problems to Berdych by the way. He leads the H2H 5-4 (3-4 on hardcourts, 0-3 indoors)

Do you think there's any chance they could play on clay? It's Wawrinka's favourite surface and it would almost certainly mean Stepanek won't get a win. I would arguably fancy Federer a lot more on clay vs Berdych than on a hard court too.

I have to say you are extremely well informed and I enjoy reading your posts.

Johnbert
09-19-2012, 01:29 PM
spain :zzz:

Wing Man Frank
09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Lol wut? Dark horses? If Novak plays we are the no1 favourites... Spain will have to come to us and who knows what form will Rafa be in...

I don't think you would be. I don't see Tipsy necessarily winning a tie so it would rely on Djokovic to win both and a doubles win. Obviously Zimonjic is world class but would whoever you pair him up with be a much better combination that what the Spanish could offer? Doubtful.

duong
09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Do you think there's any chance they could play on clay?

it's possible, but this year they did that against the USA and the court was very hard with a lot of bad bounces because the hall was only prepared for the tie and it was very cold in the previous weeks.

Lüthi had to spend time on court with other guys to try to make the court less hard, and it was still very hard in the end, with many bad bounces.

They didn't enjoy the experience at all.

Ps : I read the French-speaking Swiss media on the web but they've said nothing about the choice of surface yet.

STUHL
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Oh not again :sad:

uxyzapenje
09-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't think you would be. I don't see Tipsy necessarily winning a tie so it would rely on Djokovic to win both and a doubles win. Obviously Zimonjic is world class but would whoever you pair him up with be a much better combination that what the Spanish could offer? Doubtful.

We got 2nd best no2 behind Spain and best no1 player (Murray not in the world group, Rafa - who knows?, Roger is not taking DC too seriously, so no question about that). And Spain (and Switzerland if we both get to the final) would have to come to Serbia so we pick the surface and have home crowd behind us. Novak would favourited to get 2 points and in DC at home Tipsarevic plays his best matches, I would favoure him over Ferrer. Anywhere else, Ferrer would be the favourite, but in Belgrade on indor hard with home crowd behind him, I would pick Janko. And we have 50-50% chance in doubles, I would say we are the favourites overall. And knowing Rafa, maybe he won't even play till eventual final, so Janko would have to beat Almagro (Verdasco).

Worst case scenario, we would be no2 favourites and you can't say that no2 favourites are 'dark horses'.

Corey Feldman
09-19-2012, 03:10 PM
btw GBR drew Russia

rocketassist
09-19-2012, 03:32 PM
btw GBR drew Russia

10 years ago that would have been a sick tie.

Now it's a bunch of futures players against a fallen giant.

If Davydenko plays then GB should pick grass.

rocketassist
09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
No way Nadal will play that tie. It'll be in Calgary and the serves will be flying.

Chance for Fed to get some revenge on Berdych. With it being a home tie and during European season I think he'll play it. Steps ain't getting any younger either so there's chances for Stan as well.

duong
09-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Russian team seems to be in a shit and I don't think the old stars like Davydenko and Youzhny will play in Group I now.

Davydenko and Youzhny didn't play the play-off and they only played the double in first round.

Youzhny had announced he stopped Davis cup 2 years ago, letting youngsters play.
Davydenko seldom played in late years.

It seems that the Russians have a big problem with the Davis cup team as Tarpischev even announced Kuznetsov and Donskoy in Brazil ... whereas in the end it was Gabashvili and another one ! Kuznetsov and Donskoy seemed to be focused on other tournaments and didn't come (they would have been better choices than Gaba and Bogo on clay).

Certinfy
09-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Awesome. I hope Federer plays so Berdych can kick his ass once more before the old fucker checks in to a retirement home.

Johnbert
09-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Awesome. I hope Federer plays so Berdych can kick his ass once more before the old fucker checks in to a retirement home.

:rolleyes:

saviopr
09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
9 years to come back to World Group, and then a terrible draw for Brazil :sad:

duong
09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
9 years to come back to World Group, and then a terrible draw for Brazil :sad:

as Darcis said, the seeding system in Davis cup means that for unseeded countries hence emerging countries, there were only 2 good draws : Kazakhstan and Croatia (which meant meeting Spain or Czech Republic in quarters by the way)

The 6 other seeds are all very solid teams.

Still, Brazil would probably have liked to play at home to offer something nice to the spectators, as Belgium now hopes Djokovic will come.

Looner
09-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Saved for future reference :devil:.

TigerTim
09-20-2012, 12:14 PM

we need a solid top 50 player :mad:

the girls have bright future :)

LinkMage
09-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Why was this clown unbanned? :confused:

Certinfy
09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
7-6 6-4 3-6 6-3

Suck it bitch.

What a fucking joke of a world number 1 this arrogant old man is, can't even beat Birdshit choking the living shit out of himself and not even playing that well on a court he's never lost on at night. :bowdown:

Stronga23
09-20-2012, 06:44 PM
If Gael and Jo are healthy combined with our awesome doubles team it should be us against Spain in the final and hopefully we host so Gael can beat Rafa for a third time :D

Certinfy
09-20-2012, 06:46 PM
If Gael and Jo are healthy combined with our awesome doubles team it should be us against Spain in the final and hopefully we host so Gael can beat Rafa for a third time :D
Sorry Lyndon but Birdshit is destroying everything in his way next year.

2013 is the year Birdshit flys away.

Mark Lenders
09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Spain look like a safe bet for the final in the top half.

In the bottom half, either Argentina or France. Think Argentina will do it if they have both Del Potro and Nalbandian fit and playing, but France have more depth - if one of Delpo/Nalby is missing, France is my favorite to reach the final.

August
09-20-2012, 06:55 PM

France will host their next tie against Spain.

Johnny Groove
09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Argentina, hopefully.

And then Suisse in 2014.

Sanya
09-20-2012, 07:35 PM
If Fed is ever going to conquer this top, he should use this chance. Excellent draw for Switzerland.

But I have a feeling it will be France. The only team where I can`t see problems with reserve even if one top guy is out. Spain can play without Rafa, Serbia isn`t that strong with Nole focusing on personal tournaments and I don`t see Delpo making his main goal to win DC next year. And for France - even without Tso frenchmen don`t lose that much.

saviopr
09-21-2012, 01:14 AM
as Darcis said, the seeding system in Davis cup means that for unseeded countries hence emerging countries, there were only 2 good draws : Kazakhstan and Croatia (which meant meeting Spain or Czech Republic in quarters by the way)

The 6 other seeds are all very solid teams.

Still, Brazil would probably have liked to play at home to offer something nice to the spectators, as Belgium now hopes Djokovic will come.

Yes, playing at home would be enough.

shotgun
09-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Pretty good draw for Argentina, great possibility of playing all four ties at home. I think they can win it all if they're able to count on a fit Del Potro for all those ties (big if).

156mphserve
09-21-2012, 05:01 AM
I see Canada in with a shot against Spain. I'm pretty sure Nadal won't show, and it's not unrealistic that Ferrer wouldn't either. If that were to happen I'd almost see us as favorites, even with Ferrer we're in with a shot. I'm looking foirward to the watching:)

jcempire
09-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Tough to say

USA has great draw. but Guys like Sam or John suck at all. With Mardy turn older, Roddick Retired, .... Rest of youngsters all suck

bokehlicious
09-21-2012, 07:08 AM

Fed haters can't be banned for a too long time. Written in the forum rules.

GSMnadal
09-21-2012, 07:22 AM
If Nadal plays, nobody can beat Spain :shrug:

The guy just doesn't lose in DC

Looner
09-21-2012, 07:37 AM
If Nadal plays, nobody can beat Spain :shrug:

The guy just doesn't lose on clay in Spain in DC

Corrected.

duong
09-21-2012, 07:53 AM
I see Canada in with a shot against Spain. I'm pretty sure Nadal won't show, and it's not unrealistic that Ferrer wouldn't either. If that were to happen I'd almost see us as favorites, even with Ferrer we're in with a shot. I'm looking foirward to the watching:)

even without Nadal and Ferrer you wouldn't be favourites as everything depends on Raonic+the double. Pospisil against other Spaniards has very little chance.

And Raonic wouldn't be that much favourite against Almagro.

It's a too small margin to be favourites.

But you have a chance, yes, even with Nadal and Ferrer by the way, Raonic can defeat them on a fast hardcourt.

GSMnadal
09-21-2012, 08:01 AM
even without Nadal and Ferrer you wouldn't be favourites as everything depends on Raonic+the double. Pospisil against other Spaniards has very little chance.

But you have a chance, yes, even with Nadal and Ferrer by the way, Raonic can defeat them on a fast hardcourt.

H2H with Ferrer: 0-4
H2H with Nadal: 0-2

Still remains to be seen

garad
09-21-2012, 11:04 AM

11-5, 17-0, 21-1, 297-0

Looner
09-21-2012, 11:09 AM
11-5, 17-0, 21-0, 297-0

Now you're just being mean :devil:.

TigerTim
09-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Still remains to be seen

he beat Murray though

oh wait, that was on clay :facepalm: :haha:

GSMnadal
09-21-2012, 11:43 AM
he beat Murray though

oh wait, that was on clay :facepalm: :haha:

Raonic is a mug on fast hardcourt when he faces a decent player. He just doesn't have time to set up his shots, think he's more of a threat on mediumish hardcourts like AO. Still not much of a threat though

Looner
09-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Raonic is a mug on fast hardcourt when he faces a decent player. He just doesn't have time to set up his shots, think he's more of a threat on mediumish hardcourts like AO. Still not much of a threat though

:spit: :haha: :drink: The sheer tennis stupidity of the Nadaltards' posts really take me by surprise sometimes.

garad
09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Now you're just being mean :devil:.

Yes sorry forgot Berdych won a master once.

Mark Lenders
09-21-2012, 02:15 PM
11-5, 17-0, 21-1, 297-0

USO SF > USO QF

7-6, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 > 6-7, 4-6, 6-3, 3-6

On current form, Berdych > Federer ;)

I know that as far as overall achievements go Federer slightly edges it as your post shows, but that's because he was lucky to peak in the weakest era ever where he only had to face mugs and clowns. Tomas, on the other hand, has peaked in the strongest era ever, with such titans as Gulbis, Darcis and Robert, among others :shrug:

Berdych > Federer :p

Chirag
09-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Spain or Serbia maybe

August
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Pretty good draw for Argentina, great possibility of playing all four ties at home. I think they can win it all if they're able to count on a fit Del Potro for all those ties (big if).

Well, they need 3rd win, too. They don't have an unbeatable doubles team, and Monaco must not choke like he did against Berdy.

156mphserve
09-21-2012, 06:08 PM

That's why I said almost :)

I think Vasek could beat one of the Spanish players though, he beat Chela last year in Montreal, beat Seppi in Toronto this year, he plays way better when he's at home, sur he wouldn't be favorited to win one but it's not so lopsided that you chalk up 2 points for the Spainards before the tie starts, I'd say he's got about a 35% chance to win one if them if it were say Almagro and Lopez or Verdasco. He did take Lopez to a very close 4 setter a year ago at the US Open.

It'll be a lot closer than most expect I think, I definitely can see Canada winning if Nadal doesn't show

156mphserve
09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
If 1 of Nadal and Ferrer plays then I hope they play Dancevic in the first rubber against their #1 and save Vasek for the doubles and their #2 where he'd have more of a chance

156mphserve
09-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Still remains to be seen

On fast hard court:

H2H with Ferrer : 0-0
H2H with Nadal : 0-0

Its too bad fast hard courts don't exist anymore :sad:

But I believe most if not all of those matches were a little while ago, he played Nadal in 2010 Tokyo when he was just inside the top 200, and in Tokyo 2011 when returning from injury. His matches against Ferrer were mostly wary 2011, and maybe once this year in Barcelona? I think, he's a better player now, not that he's better then Ferrer no, but he'll have a better shot than he did in those 4 matches so that doesn't mean much.

But this discussion is moot if Nadal and Ferrer doesn't play, I don't think Nadal will with his injury an te lo travel to Canada, Ferrer might not either, but I'm expecting that he will

duong
09-22-2012, 10:35 AM
If 1 of Nadal and Ferrer plays then I hope they play Dancevic in the first rubber against their #1 and save Vasek for the doubles and their #2 where he'd have more of a chance

just a question : last year against the French Nestor-Raonic played a very good double imo.

Then in the Olympics the double was Nestor-Pospisil and you're still implying now that the double would be Nestor-Pospisil.

Can you explain me about those things if that has been discussed in Canada ?

156mphserve
09-22-2012, 08:01 PM
I think it will be Nestor/Vasek. Vasek seems to be better at doubles than Milos imo. When Laurendeau chose Milos for that doubles match against the french, I don't think many agreed with him. It backfired, they lost, then Milos had an injury concern and didn't play the 4th rubber.

In my mind that test failed, it showed that there was no real advantage in playing Milos over Vasek for the doubles, and on top of that you want Milos healthy, and you want to ensure he is healthy. Of course you want Vasek healthy too, but you don't need him as much in the final rubber, as he wouldn't have that much a chance to win anyway. So I think it will almost always be Nestor/Vasek until Nestor retires anyway, but I'm not Martin Laurendeau, and I don't get to choose.

Also, I believe Nestor said he wanted to play with Vasek against France, and they played Milos/Nestor anyway, I don't think they'd go against that again if Nestor wants Vasek.

But no I've not heard anything official, but I'd be shocked if it was Milos in the doubles if Vasek was healthy

misty1
09-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I think it will be Nestor/Vasek. Vasek seems to be better at doubles than Milos imo. When Laurendeau chose Milos for that doubles match against the french, I don't think many agreed with him. It backfired, they lost, then Milos had an injury concern and didn't play the 4th rubber.

In my mind that test failed, it showed that there was no real advantage in playing Milos over Vasek for the doubles, and on top of that you want Milos healthy, and you want to ensure he is healthy. Of course you want Vasek healthy too, but you don't need him as much in the final rubber, as he wouldn't have that much a chance to win anyway. So I think it will almost always be Nestor/Vasek until Nestor retires anyway, but I'm not Martin Laurendeau, and I don't get to choose.

Also, I believe Nestor said he wanted to play with Vasek against France, and they played Milos/Nestor anyway, I don't think they'd go against that again if Nestor wants Vasek.

But no I've not heard anything official, but I'd be shocked if it was Milos in the doubles if Vasek was healthy

yes and that doubles match against france shows that his choices dont always make sense.To me that says that he thinks the strongest doubles combination is, for whatever reason milos/vasek

so for that reason and the fact that vasek and daniel havent done that well recently as a doubles team im think milos and vasek might be given another try

even though anyone with a brain could see that the best choice is indeed vasek and daniel.

156mphserve
09-22-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't see them playing Milos/Vasek if Nestor is willing and able to play

Eden
10-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Chance for Fed to get some revenge on Berdych. With it being a home tie and during European season I think he'll play it.

According to Swiss media Roger told Swiss Tennis that the chances he is going to play the 1st round are low. He said he would have to arrange his schedule wisely "to stay in tennis".
"When I play so much like in the last 2 years it will get difficult."

The final decision if Roger is going to play DC will be made in a few weeks.

Eden
01-27-2013, 06:28 PM
- Switzerland v.s Czech republic should be the tie of the round. Very interesting. But if federer doesnt play then czech should roll through

Well, Roger won't play but the Czech team also has to replace a player.

Stepanek has to undergo a back surgery and will be replaced in the team by Ivo Minar.

Corey Feldman
01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
if only Berdy skipped it

well Fed wouldnt play any round anyway would he

its a completely blown decision by Fed for a first DC Final/title this year, no doubt about it

August
01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Well, Roger won't play but the Czech team also has to replace a player.

Stepanek has to undergo a back surgery and will be replaced in the team by Ivo Minar.
That makes the tie much tighter. If Stan plays like at AO, he can challenge Berdy. And I assume Rosol will be the other Czech singles player. Rosol can either even win Stan or lose to Chiudinelli. And whoever pairs Berdy in doubles isn't in Sexy's level, so that gives Switzerland some hope.

duong
01-28-2013, 03:30 PM

Back surgery ? how long will it take him off ?

Eden
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
That makes the tie much tighter. If Stan plays like at AO, he can challenge Berdy.

Well, Stan leads the H2H against Tomas 5:4. They played 6 times on HC and are tied here with 3 victories each.

And whoever pairs Berdy in doubles isn't in Sexy's level, so that gives Switzerland some hope.

Sure but it also has to be seen whom Stan will play doubles.
Roger isn't playing and Yves Allegro is meanwhile retired.

Back surgery ? how long will it take him off ?

Speaking on an official video released by the Czech team, Stepanek said: “I cannot take part with the guys. Unfortunately I have a problem with my disc that I have to have an operation on.”

Source: http://www.10sballs.com/2013/01/30/injured-radek-stepanek-misses-davis-cup-tie/

I haven't read anywhere yet how long Rade will be forced out of the game.

rocketassist
01-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Rosol playing singles then?

No wonder Federer skipped the tie- Berdych and the Legend Killer are on the loose :p

Chair Umpire
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Serbia or France.

LOL @ people voting for Argentina.

retister
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
France due to the depth of the bench.

duong
01-30-2013, 09:48 PM
France due to the depth of the bench.

yes I could say that, but rather because Spain and Argentina may lose this week-end, and Fed doesn't play for Switzerland (a big mistake he will probably regret for long), and Djokovic always hads moments in the year when he can't play.

If France is the lucky team this year as Czech Republic was last year, I can already foresee the French media praising Clément whereas it would only be that they had the luck this year and not previous years :rolleyes:

ImmzB
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
France have a great chance!! Allez!!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Puschkin
01-31-2013, 05:09 AM
yes I could say that, but rather because Spain and Argentina may lose this week-end, and Fed doesn't play for Switzerland (a big mistake he will probably regret for long).

Roger can't win the DC alone, and Wawrinka's performances in DC have been mixed, to put it mildly. His great match in Melbourne should not be taken as a reference.

If France is the lucky team this year as Czech Republic was last year, I can already foresee the French media praising Clément whereas it would only be that they had the luck this year and not previous years :rolleyes:

As always, you can only beat the team on the other side :p. Of course there is some luck involved, with playing at home, chosing the surface, and having your best guys aavailable, but Forget had his chance in Belgrade and he messed it up.

As for a Spanish first round defeat, I only believe it when I see it. Agentina is a more likely candidate for a loss, if the Germans can get it together which looks well possible on paper, but still has to be done in reality.

duong
01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
As always, you can only beat the team on the other side :p. Of course there is some luck involved, with playing at home, chosing the surface, and having your best guys aavailable, but Forget had his chance in Belgrade and he messed it up.

injured or absent players ... Davis cup is so much about opportunities rather than "level logic" :shrug:

Forget made one mistake in Belgrade, yes : not letting Simon play the final match ... one can say it's a big one, but well :shrug:

If France can take benefit of Argentina being out (they would have to play in Argentina, Del Po's decision may have an unbelievable impact this year, it was a great chance for Argentina even more than for Switzerland), they would receive Germany, Czech Republic, and Serbia or Spain.

At home, they would surely have a big chance to defeat those teams.

duong
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
In Tennis Alternative's interview of the Polish team, the Poles say that they were forbidden by the ITF to play on Taraflex.

The French played against Spain in 2010 on Taraflex, but I haven't heard of any other tie played on that surface (the usual version of "carpet" in the last decade) since then.

Does anybody know if the ITF's Taraflex ban is for all countries now or only for countries who never use it, even in futures ?

August
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
In Tennis Alternative's interview of the Polish team, the Poles say that they were forbidden by the ITF to play on Taraflex.

The French played against Spain in 2010 on Taraflex, but I haven't heard of any other tie played on that surface (the usual version of "carpet" in the last decade) since then.

Does anybody know if the ITF's Taraflex ban is for all countries now or only for countries who never use it, even in futures ?

Check DC rules (http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vcqq/DavisCupRulesampRegu/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daviscup.co m%2Fen%2Forganisation%2Frules-regulations.aspx) pages 24-25.

For all Ties in the World Group and Zonal Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a GS Tournament or in a minimum of three tournaments in men's pro tour held in the year previous to the tie.

And pro tour event must have a prize money of $350,000, meaning it's an ATP World Tour event, not a Challenger.

So, allowed surfaces in World Group and Group I are hardcourt, clay, and grass, but not carpet. And, Taraflex is classified as carpet (http://www.itftennis.com/technical/courts/classified-surfaces/about-court-pace-classification.aspx). So that's probably the reason for not allowing the use of it. Which really sucks.

Btw, in Group II, Poland seems to have used carpet a lot. (Click Team Win/Loss (http://www.daviscup.com/en/teams/team/profile.aspx?id=POL))

philosophicalarf
01-31-2013, 10:42 AM

"For all Ties in the World Group and Zonal Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a Grand Slam Tournament or in a minimum of three Tournaments in the Men’s Professional Tour held in the year previous to the Tie. "

Not sure if challengers count, there were four last year on carpet.
EDIT: just saw someone posted above the prizemoney limit, so that's why.

There's some DC subclause about the underlayers for carpet, maybe they breached that.

Taraflex is also still a certified ITF surface, but the only difference with Davis Cup is they have a speed limit. An especially quick version of Taraflex would breach that, but a normal one would be fine (perhaps the Poles wanted to use superfast?). For perspective, the DC limit is way faster than any current ATP event, even quicker than Bercy 2010.

The Croats got spanked 5 years back for breaking the court pace limit - I've got the friction measurements somewhere, was like a 90s indoors court :-)

duong
01-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Check DC rules (http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vcqq/DavisCupRulesampRegu/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daviscup.co m%2Fen%2Forganisation%2Frules-regulations.aspx) pages 24-25.

For all Ties in the World Group and Zonal Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a GS Tournament or in a minimum of three tournaments in men's pro tour held in the year previous to the tie.

And pro tour event must have a prize money of $350,000, meaning it's an ATP World Tour event, not a Challenger.

So, allowed surfaces in World Group and Group I are hardcourt, clay, and grass, but not carpet. And, Taraflex is classified as carpet (http://www.itftennis.com/technical/courts/classified-surfaces/about-court-pace-classification.aspx). So that's probably the reason for not allowing the use of it. Which really sucks.

Btw, in Group II, Poland seems to have used carpet a lot. (Click Team Win/Loss (http://www.daviscup.com/en/teams/team/profile.aspx?id=POL))

thank you, that probably explains why the USA and Czech Republic when receiving Spain could not use carpet as the French did, if this rule was already in use :sad:

in the old time, it was a matter of having enough tournaments played in the country on that surface.

I was so surprised when I saw that the surface the USA did receive Spain on, was not really fast :confused: The Spaniards had whined so much before the tie, maybe they got what they wanted then.

I remember the old DC ties played on wood :lol:

Slasher1985
01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
I agree with duong, Spain may lose this weekend. It's all on Nestor's back though, if Raonic's game is 100%.:D

dinkulpus
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
france or serbia

philosophicalarf
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Shame Verdasco isn't playing. Can't imagine why he would want to avoid facing Raonic, with the same surface/balls as San Jose :-)

duong
01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Shame Verdasco isn't playing. Can't imagine why he would want to avoid facing Raonic, with the same surface/balls as San Jose :-)

yes, and Verdasco will play San Jose and Memphis again this year ;) (he will make the interesting change from Memphis's indoor hardcourt to Acapulco's clay in one week which few players did in the past, including himself)

August
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
I would've expected Argentina's singles players would be Monaco and Nalby, but they are Monaco and Berlocq. Should it go to 2th rubber, I wonder if ARG substitutes Charly to Nalby.

Vinceremo
01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Italy-Croatia could be a close tie with some exciting matches. If Fog manages to somehow beat Cilic, we should seal it by saturday with the boost of being up 2-0 (Seppi can't mess it up... or i hope). If logic applies and we go 1-1 to day 2, then it will be all about the doubles. Either way, i think it's a very close one with many possible scenarios playing out.

For Spain, Granollers better be peaking !

Eden
09-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Surprised to see just one vote for Czech Republic in the poll until now (lidal)

I guess this is going to change now ;)

janko05
09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Surprised to see just one vote for Czech Republic in the poll until now (lidal)

I guess this is going to change now ;)

apparently not. the poll is closed :)

Eden
09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Oops, I haven't seen it :lol: