Does Cilic repeat Roddick`s way in style of play? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does Cilic repeat Roddick`s way in style of play?

Sanya
09-18-2012, 06:50 PM
There are a lot similarities in tennis. Some of them are more obvious, some less. This one came me to mind few monthes ago and I decided to rewatch a few their matches in different times for better comparison.

As all of you know I guess Roddick appeared on big stage more than 10 years ago having not only powerful serve, but one of the biggest forehand. With years his attitude to finish points as quick as possible changed. More spin, more shots where he wasn`t going for clean winner, but better position on court, tactical advantage. For sure, here and there he had great matches dominating from baseline, but you could count it on fingers.

Do you remember Cilic in 2009? I think he belonged to group of bighitters with no doubt. Big forehands, attacking all-court tennis. To my mynd his serve then was actually bigger weapon too. And what we have now? Personally I can`t call him hardhitter nowadays. He had great match with Nishi at US playing first fiddle, but that was sooner exception from common rule.

What do you think? Or maybe I just overrate level of "early" Cilic and he wasn`t so attack minded on court as I feel it?

Orange Wombat
09-18-2012, 06:52 PM
NO :cuckoo:

Roddick just scurries around and tries to slap at the ball. Cilic takes bigger step and uses his whole body to hit the ball.

Nr 1 Fan
09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Can't really see the similarities, IMO Cilic plays pretty much like Del Potro, only with a bit more aggression and many more errors.

Nole Rules
09-18-2012, 07:01 PM
:facepalm:

Jimnik
09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Can't think of anything these two have in common.

End da Game
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
cilic has already proven himself unworthy of comparison with the great andy roddick

his utter choke of the century against murray in the us open will forever act as a black mark to whatever he does in the future.

duong
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
in a way I think you're right Cilic uses more spin now, but Cilic has always been a quite smooth and versatile player, not a "big ballbasher", not even he had Roddick's "brutality".

Besides, he has a better volley than Roddick :lol:

the concept of "big hitter" in this forum is far too much used, Söderling is very different from Berdych who is very different from Cilic who is very different from Tsonga.

Sanya
09-18-2012, 07:11 PM
No need to be that harsh. Yes, it`s always easy to mix with mud any idea, I know.

I just meant that Cilic`s game changed significantly, IMO, from 2009. He started to "push" a bit more, his serve declined etc. Whom you will think about with such characteristics? Roddick suits, IMO. I didn`t mean their similarities in technique, but if you want - changing in level of agression, court position in different years. Something like that.

duong
09-18-2012, 07:15 PM
I didn`t mean their similarities in technique, but if you want - changing in level of agression, court position in different years. Something like that.

yes I think you're right but it's not so easy to see because imo Cilic is a very peculiar player, very peculiar technique, and he really has some versatility in his game.

That's one of the reasons why his game changes very often from one match to another. Another reason is his level of confidence which determines his game a lot and notably his level of aggression.

The comparison with Del Potro was often made when they started but now Cilic uses more versatility. Which doesn't mean he's better than Del Po, no, rather the opposite ;)

Sanya
09-18-2012, 07:19 PM
yes I think you're right but it's not so easy to see because imo Cilic is a very peculiar player, very peculiar technique, and he really has some versatility in his game which changes very often from one match to another.

The comparison with Del Potro was often made when they started but now Cilic uses more versatility.

Yes, they had a lot of common. Delpo always looked more promissing to me, but I thought back then that Marin would be Slam contender as well. Though I was shoked how overhyped, IMO, he was after AO-10.

And I agree with you about over- and wrongusing term "bighitter". But personally I would call like this all guys you mentioned - Sod, Tso, Berdych. :) Though, yes, they all have different play.

Nr 1 Fan
09-18-2012, 07:30 PM
No need to be that harsh. Yes, it`s always easy to mix with mud any idea, I know.

I just meant that Cilic`s game changed significantly, IMO, from 2009. He started to "push" a bit more, his serve declined etc. Whom you will think about with such characteristics? Roddick suits, IMO. I didn`t mean their similarities in technique, but if you want - changing in level of agression, court position in different years. Something like that.

I don't think his serve really "declined", it just never was that good. And I don't think pushes that much, his choking mostly outs itself in going for too much on the big points.

Sanya
09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't think his serve really "declined", it just never was that good. And I don't think pushes that much, his choking mostly outs itself in going for too much on the big points.

As many opinions as people are, okay. :) I just feel that he served better few years ago, more effective. He never was second Ivo though, that`s for sure.

ogbg
09-18-2012, 11:52 PM
They both hit a yellow ball with a racket

Topspindoctor
09-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Mugrin is a mindless ballbasher with no serve. Roddick was an all serve clown with pushing ground game. There are no similarities whatsoever between them except that both are mugs.

duong
09-19-2012, 09:28 AM
I think if you had said : Is Cilic less aggressive than in the past ?

the thread would have stayed more on the topic of Cilic ... and also would have looked truer as well.

I don't know why you made that title, but actually it was the best way to attract trolls and comments like that. Cilic's and Roddick's games and mentalities (and of course results) are so different. I don't think their evolutions are the same either : Cilic never had Roddick's serve and forehand then he was aggressive, yes, but not the same way the backhand and return are Cilic's best shots.

I think Cilic is a very interesting and peculiar player in himself ... but being peculiar, he's hard to understand for most MTFers.

I think there are in this forum people who are good enough technicians to analyse his game and I would be very interested in it, but I've seen that Leng Jai has been banned :lol:

out_grinder
09-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Mugrin is a mindless ballbasher with no serve. Roddick was an all serve clown with pushing ground game. There are no similarities whatsoever between them except that both are mugs.

That is the one similarity you personally can draw between Cilic and every tennis player on the face of the earth.

Including Nadal, he's a mug.

There are a lot of mugs in your world, you should open a gift shop.

Sanya
09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I think if you had said : Is Cilic less aggressive than in the past ?

the thread would have stayed more on the topic of Cilic ... and also would have looked truer as well.

I`ll take this advice, thanks. Just wanted to describe my thoughts, I guess the idea should have been more important than simply few words in title. :)