Juan Martin Del Potro Sidelined for One Month, Out of the Shangai Masters [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Juan Martin Del Potro Sidelined for One Month, Out of the Shangai Masters

Mark Lenders
09-17-2012, 08:45 PM
http://www.clarin.com/deportes/Potro-mes-jugar_0_775722630.html

:sad:

He will have his wrist immobilized for the next 10 days and then do a treatment with his doctor that will last around three weeks before he's good to go. So one month out, Shangai completely out of question.

Hope he's ready for Vienna, Basel, Bercy and WTF. Not only can he get great results indoors if healthy, with Nadal out it's also a good chance to get closer to a top 4 ranking.

The most important thing is that his wrist is alright though, of course.

Litotes
09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
A pity. I wish him a speedy recovery.

ogbg
09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Any info on the nature of the injury?

uxyzapenje
09-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Get well soon Juan Martin del Potro!

The Prince
09-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Opportunity for Tipsarevic and Isner to get amongst the guns for the next few weeks, then.

TigerTim
09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
hope he's okay for WTF :(

Sanya
09-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Nothing new under Moon, everything happened at least once already. Year ago, September - despite fact that Djokovic should have never played against Delpo in DC he did it and missed Shanghai. Anyway his team lost, that effort was in vein. Now Delpo repeats his road.

It`s a shame, actually a possibility exists now that he would even miss WTF due to lack of points. Not very likely, but now it`s possible - Tsonga can gain more than 1000 points, still not likely with Tipsa. And HMDP isn`t one of guys who can play at his best immidiatly after break, again he will need time to gain form. I start losing faith he will ever be #1 contender as I thought before. :sad:

star
09-17-2012, 08:56 PM
We can only hope that one month is all it is.

I hope he is able to recover fully and not push it.

Actually, I got a wry little laugh after seeing this thread after reading all the excessive pity in the "wounded fed" thread. DelPotro has suffered more than most of us can imagine. I've had a smashed wrist, and I've never been able to bring it fully back, so I admire this guy for putting in the rehab work and then slogging it out to regain his ranking. Now to face injury to the other wrist must be depressing at the very least.

Looner
09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
This may be a blessing in disguise. Let's hope he rests and recovers (properly this time). He needs the downtime and he needs to be fit, so he can challenge at the WTF.

BigJohn
09-17-2012, 08:59 PM
It's a Masters, so chances are he would not have won it anyways.

GOATsol
09-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Sigh. :(

Mark Lenders
09-17-2012, 09:03 PM
We can only hope that one month is all it is.

I hope he is able to recover fully and not push it.

Actually, I got a wry little laugh after seeing this thread after reading all the excessive pity in the "wounded fed" thread. DelPotro has suffered more than most of us can imagine. I've had a smashed wrist, and I've never been able to bring it fully back, so I admire this guy for putting in the rehab work and then slogging it out to regain his ranking. Now to face injury to the other wrist must be depressing at the very least.

:yeah:

Del Potro is not only an amazingly talented tennis player, but one of the biggest fighters out there. To be where he is right now after wrist surgery and all the setbacks/injuries he had to face when making his comeback is nothing short of extraordinary. Most other players would have cracked mentally by now, but Del Potro keeps playing through it and fighting as hard as he can and only a handful of players have been able to stop him in big events really.

It must be depressing to now face problems in the other wrist, but JMDP is not going away, of that I'm sure. He will fighting to return where he rightfully belongs - in the company of the very best players in the world competing for Slams.

Also sorry to hear about your wrist :sad: Hope it's alright (as far as possible) :)

This is may be a blessing in disguise. Let's hope he rests and recovers (properly this time). He needs the downtime and he needs to be fit, so he can challenge at the WTF.

On the other hand, with a strong indoor season he could get close to Nadal in the rankings (what with Rafa not playing until 2013) and have a chance to overcome him next year. He can still do it if he only misses Shangai; JMDP is very good indoors and there's lots of points to be earned at Vienna, Basel, Bercy and WTF.

TigerTim
09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
mmmm

poor delpo

rest well and aim for Aussie Open :yeah:

hipolymer
09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
What a hero this Del Po. Willing to sacrifice his personal health for the chance to bring his nation glory.

...Unlike Mugerer. :o:o:o:o:o

GOATsol
09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
What a hero this Del Po. Willing to sacrifice his personal health for the chance to bring his nation glory.

...Unlike Mugerer. :o:o:o:o:o
Roger did play the Davis Cup.

But it's really sad for Delpo that the Argentinian media is mad at him for not playing the second match. :sad:

star
09-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Roger did play the Davis Cup.

But it's really sad for Delpo that the Argentinian media is mad at him for not playing the second match. :sad:

Oh, are they?

Well, I guess he could have played it and lost, but I don't suppose the press would have been happier then.

r3d_d3v1l_
09-17-2012, 09:22 PM
I get the feeling that Del Potro was playing with a injury after the Olympics. I just don´t get why he played those Masters before the US Open.

Federer in 2
09-17-2012, 09:27 PM
At 23, far past his prime.

Looner
09-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I get the feeling that Del Potro was playing with a injury after the Olympics. I just don´t get why he played those Masters before the US Open.

I am sure Manuel will confirm but I'm sure he said he'd have retired from his Cincy 1/2 SF if it was against someone else or at another stage or something like that. Del Potro needs to find someone who can tell him off from time to time as he is far too stubborn. Learn from Federer, for pity's sake.

ogbg
09-17-2012, 09:35 PM

24 now.

EDIT: Oops, no he's not. That's next week.

GOATsol
09-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I am sure Manuel will confirm but I'm sure he said he'd have retired from his Cincy 1/2 SF if it was against someone else or at another stage or something like that. Del Potro needs to find someone who can tell him off from time to time as he is far too stubborn. Learn from Federer, for pity's sake.
Yup, he said that. :o

Mark Lenders
09-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Correct on all counts. Del Potro is sometimes too honorable/noble for his own good, he's a genuinely nice guy but nice guys often come last :sad:

:facepalm:

There are only three players on tour who could do as well as Del Potro with so many injury setbacks during a year. And I'm not even talking about already having been through surgery.

Looner
09-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I just read the Argie media was pissed at Del Po for withdrawing. If that's true, no one should be that stupid, even the sports media.

Federer in 2
09-17-2012, 09:45 PM

There are only three players on tour who could do as well as Del Potro with so many injury setbacks during a year. And I'm not even talking about already having been through surgery.

It wasn't a judgement, and it's not about giving him credit for being so successful with his injuries, which I do. It's a simple statement: He won't be playing at an equal or higher level then he did at his best (2009), ever again.

Mark Lenders
09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I just read the Argie media was pissed at Del Po for withdrawing. If that's true, no one should be that stupid, even the sports media.

Argentine media and (some) fans don't deserve a great champion like Del Potro at all. Even after he won their first medal in the Olympics and put himself at risk more than once to play DC for Argentina, they keep attacking him and questioning his commitment. Not to mention their captain and federation don't even have enough sense to protect his health.

It wasn't a judgement, and it's not about giving him credit for being so successful with his injuries, which I do. It's a simple statement: He won't be playing at an equal or higher level then he did at his best (2009), ever again.

Depends on his injuries really. If he can fully overcome them, there's no reason why he shouldn't play even better. He's far too good/talented a player to call it a day with only one Slam imo.

Certinfy
09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Really hope he's okay for the WTFs.

GOATsol
09-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Argentine media and (some) fans don't deserve a great champion like Del Potro at all. Even after he won their first medal in the Olympics and put himself at risk more than once to play DC for Argentina, they keep attacking him and questioning his commitment. Not to mention their captain and federation don't even have enough sense to protect his health.
This is so true. Del Potro clearly loves his country and did everything he could, even risked further injury by playing his first match, but they still attack him. :o

Litotes
09-17-2012, 10:06 PM

I agree noone should, but plenty are anyway. As a Brit, you'll have seen it before. And it's no better in Norway.

DJ Soup
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Argentine culture is very distressing, and I think it has gone for worse in the past few decades. We're sceptic sensationalist hypocrites. We think we've got the best and ought to win everything and losing (no matter if logical or not) is reason enough to be target of all sorts of accusations.

I'd like Delpo to not play DC anymore. That shit is overrated.

Joolz
09-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Delpo told Jaite he was ready to play the tie. And he told the media that he'd play for the people. What was Jaite supposed to do, kick him out of the team, anyway?

Apart from that, Jaite and the AAT let him get away with quite a few things. That Delpo doesn't play first-round ties is a tradition that Jaite, like Vázquez before him, accepted. But for the semifinal, the AAT catered to all of his special requests (for example by providing limousines with tinted windows for his transport to and from the stadium). And Jaite allowed him to train separately from the team until two days before the tie. Delpo didn't have to do any of the press conferences, photo shoots (which is why he wasn't on the official team pic) or other appointments. Only when he also didn't want to attend the official dinner Jaite drew the line.

I think that the Argentine media and public are being rather harsh on Delpo. But I also think that he could've handled the situation better than he did. For example by not leaving it to Jaite and the team doctor to inform the media and the public about his withdrawal. I guess a clear statement from Delpo himself would've been better.

Mae
09-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Poor Juan I knew he wasn't right in spite of moving his ranking right up. Finally I heard the other wrist was what was bothering him :sad: I hope he takes time to recover completely before coming back on Tour!

delpiero7
09-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Delpo :sad:

He better not play all those events he is listed to play following the Asian swing.

He needs to have a brain scan if he's seriously thinking about playing at least 3 weeks back to back, in Vienna, Basel and Paris plus he will likely qualify for the WTFs aswell.

Obviously his place in London is by no means assured, so he really does need to play and at least live up to seeding in Paris to gain a decent chunk of points. Therefore one of Vienna or Basel needs to be dropped. IMO he should play Vienna (and win given the pretty mediocre entry list), take a week of and then play in Paris where he will hopefully confirm his participation at the WTFs.

Rest up Delpo, and DON'T PLAY 3 EVENTS BACK TO BACK WHEN YOU RETURN!!!!

duong
09-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Argentine culture is very distressing, and I think it has gone for worse in the past few decades. We're sceptic sensationalist hypocrites. We think we've got the best and ought to win everything and losing (no matter if logical or not) is reason enough to be target of all sorts of accusations.

I'd like Delpo to not play DC anymore. That shit is overrated.

well from the outside I think Davis cup story has been so painful for the Argentines that I can understand better these kinds of reactions which occur in many countries, I think, in more common circumstances.

It's just too hard to accept, what has happened to this country in Davis cup in many years.

It's not like other countries where supporters have been spoilt and complain for nothing.

Although being French, I was a strong supporter of Argentina in Davis cup. And the Argentine supporters are great.

I think it's not easy to live for Del Po, but he can understand those disappointment critics and come back stronger.

But hopes for Nalbandian winning Davis cup are getting slimmer and slimmer, which is a pity I think, considering his efforts in this competition. Sport is not always fair, far from that.

rocketassist
09-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Feel sorry for JMDP that he has to thanklessly carry them in DC now when a few years back they had a power packed pool of talent (Coria, Nalbandian, Gaudio, Canas, Calleri, Acasuso, Zabaleta, Puerta) and now he's got to basically do it on his own and hope for one win elsewhere.

redshift36188
09-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Correct on all counts. Del Potro is sometimes too honorable/noble for his own good, he's a genuinely nice guy but nice guys often come last :sad:
A genuinely nice guy doesn't treat the ball boys/girls with disrespect nor violently argues with the umpires.

DelPo is a stubborn and angry person.

Legendary Lopata
09-17-2012, 11:33 PM
when he lost to federer at OG i said: "ATP lost him for another yeat" I was right.

Mark Lenders
09-17-2012, 11:35 PM
A genuinely nice guy doesn't treat the ball boys/girls with disrespect nor violently argues with the umpires.

DelPo is a stubborn and angry person.

Care to substantiate these claims?

duong
09-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Feel sorry for JMDP that he has to thanklessly carry them in DC now when a few years back they had a power packed pool of talent (Coria, Nalbandian, Gaudio, Canas, Calleri, Acasuso, Zabaleta, Puerta) and now he's got to basically do it on his own and hope for one win elsewhere.

well, Nalbandian already couldn't rely on those "talents", now beside Nalby who will can still make great things in Davis cup if he doesn't retire, there's Monaco, who has been consistently in the top-30 for years and now number 11, it's not bad.

One of Argentine's problems is the lack of good doubles players.

GOATsol
09-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Delpo told Jaite he was ready to play the tie. And he told the media that he'd play for the people. What was Jaite supposed to do, kick him out of the team, anyway?

Apart from that, Jaite and the AAT let him get away with quite a few things. That Delpo doesn't play first-round ties is a tradition that Jaite, like Vázquez before him, accepted. But for the semifinal, the AAT catered to all of his special requests (for example by providing limousines with tinted windows for his transport to and from the stadium). And Jaite allowed him to train separately from the team until two days before the tie. Delpo didn't have to do any of the press conferences, photo shoots (which is why he wasn't on the official team pic) or other appointments. Only when he also didn't want to attend the official dinner Jaite drew the line.

I think that the Argentine media and public are being rather harsh on Delpo. But I also think that he could've handled the situation better than he did. For example by not leaving it to Jaite and the team doctor to inform the media and the public about his withdrawal. I guess a clear statement from Delpo himself would've been better.
Do you have a source for this info? Not doubting you, just wondering...

Sanya
09-17-2012, 11:41 PM

So many surnames and still only on clay they really could beat anyone. Take away Nalby and how these guys would have beaten strong competitor on grass or indoor hard? Yep.

Maybe the only positive thing about this loss for Czechs is that we will see David next year for sure. With fire in eyes, always prepared for battle. Noone deserved this title more than him in recent history. Well, the same can be said about GS as well. :sad:

rocketassist
09-17-2012, 11:42 PM
So many surnames and still only on clay they really could beat anyone. Take away Nalby and how these guys would have beaten strong competitor on grass or indoor hard? Yep.

Maybe the only positive thing about this loss for Czechs is that we will see David next year for sure. With fire in eyes, always prepared for battle. Noone deserved this title more than him in recent history. Well, the same can be said about GS as well. :sad:

Canas was pretty reliable on hard courts.

TigerTim
09-17-2012, 11:47 PM
He bested fed at Miami in that epic no?

Sanya
09-17-2012, 11:47 PM

Yes, but not the guy who would bring his country two points against Roddick/Blake, for example, or chaps from Russia team. :shrug: I think you understood what I meant.

rocketassist
09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Yes, but not the guy who would bring his country two points against Roddick/Blake, for example, or chaps from Russia team. :shrug: I think you understood what I meant.

Winnable for sure in a big pressure atmosphere. We all know Blake's 5 set record.

Joolz
09-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Do you have a source for this info? Not doubting you, just wondering...

You can have a look at my blog (linked in my sig). I've written a post on the subject, including links to all the Argentine sources.
Though I didn't use all the info from those sources. As posts about Delpo tend to evoke rather stormy reactions from my readers.

Sanya
09-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Winnable for sure in a big pressure atmosphere. We all know Blake's 5 set record.

I don`t think that would go to 5. :p Canas had few very good tournaments on surface, big wins, but James was far better player on hard, IMO. And to my mind this match-up suits him if going deeper.

nick the greek
09-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Poor Gentle Giant.Get well soon Delpo.

GOATsol
09-18-2012, 12:05 AM
You can have a look at my blog (linked in my sig). I've written a post on the subject, including links to all the Argentine sources.
Though I didn't use all the info from those sources. As posts about Delpo tend to evoke rather stormy reactions from my readers.
Where is the limo thing? Can't find it...

Just doesn't seem like something Delpo would do.

redshift36188
09-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Care to substantiate these claims?
Dubai this year, treating the ball kids as his slaves in a very disrespectful manner. Can't remember which match, probably against Fed.

In Madrid, at the end of his match against Berdych, shouting at the umpire in a very rude way because of an earlier incident regarding a ball mark (tv hawkeye showed the umpire was correct). Same attitude in his match against Fed in IW when they didn't have the hawkeye system active during the first game (at least reason was on his side that time).

Countless other minor things; he was probably a bully when he was a kid.

Joolz
09-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Where is the limo thing? Can't find it...

Just doesn't seem like something Delpo would do.

It's in the first article, linked in my post.

"That [Delpo insisted on training with Diego Schwartzmann, the junior player functioning as hitting partner, rather than with the rest of the team] caused more of an irritation than those other benefits he had, like a car with tinted glasses and security."

DJ Soup
09-18-2012, 12:29 AM
don't call it limo, man. You're gonna confuse people.
He wanted a car with tinted glasses and security. That's LOGICAL to me, when you are an important and relevant public figure

Freak3yman84
09-18-2012, 12:30 AM
I guess we'll never see a fully healthy Del Po anymore :shrug:

BigJohn
09-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Who is an important and relevant public figure?

Yolita
09-18-2012, 12:31 AM

Sad, isn't it? :sad:

BigJohn
09-18-2012, 12:33 AM

del Flukro has not won enough for its fanbase to be allowed to use the "undefeated when healthy" line...

DJ Soup
09-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Who is an important and relevant public figure?

Any of those people the media pics up and hypes (ANY, whether they deserve it or not)

BigJohn
09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Any of those people the media pics up and hypes (ANY, whether they deserve it or not)

I don't agree. Popularity has nothing to do with importance and relevance.

Joolz
09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
don't call it limo, man. You're gonna confuse people.
He wanted a car with tinted glasses and security. That's LOGICAL to me, when you are an important and relevant public figure

Yeah, because it's certainly not going to be a limo, in this case... :rolleyes: (And I'm not a man.)

He wanted a special treatment for himself. Also concerning the preparation for the tie. He got it.

DJ Soup
09-18-2012, 12:48 AM
I don't agree. Popularity has nothing to do with importance and relevance.
huh? we're derailing here, who's talking about popularity.
A public figure is someone who is known by the rest of society, usually powered by the media. And in tennis (a popular national sport), Delpo is the current most relevant and important tennis player of the nation. As the coach said: Delpo is our main guy.

Yeah, because it's certainly not going to be a limo, in this case... :rolleyes: (And I'm not a man.)
Yup, it certainly not going to be a limo.
And btw the use of 'man' as a filler has no sexual significance in the english language

GOATsol
09-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Agreed, requesting security and a car is fine.

Does anyone know why he would want to train separately from the team and not attend the dinner? I guess he wanted to test out the wrist gently?

Joolz
09-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Yup, it certainly not going to be a limo.
And btw the use of 'man' as a filler has no sexual significance in the english language

Yeah, certainly...
And nope, it does. ;)

DJ Soup
09-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, certainly...
And nope, it does. ;)

GOATsol
09-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Yeah, certainly...
And nope, it does. ;)
No it doesn't.

Mark Lenders
09-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Dubai this year, treating the ball kids as his slaves in a very disrespectful manner. Can't remember which match, probably against Fed.

In Madrid, at the end of his match against Berdych, shouting at the umpire in a very rude way because of an earlier incident regarding a ball mark (tv hawkeye showed the umpire was correct). Same attitude in his match against Fed in IW when they didn't have the hawkeye system active during the first game (at least reason was on his side that time).

Countless other minor things; he was probably a bully when he was a kid.

Would love some footage of this ball boys incident, from what I see he's always very nice with them, but I admit I might be wrong.

As for the second part, you're clutching at straws. Remember Federer's rant at the official in USO 2009 final? Should we deem him a 'bully' because of that and other small incidents. There are no consistent patterns from Delpo to suggest he's like that at all, he's mostly kind to everyone. Sure, he does have some less dignified/angered moments, but most players do. He also seems very well liked by pretty much everyone bar Murray.

Henry Chinaski
09-18-2012, 01:14 AM

true but he was suspended for the 2 years he could have possibly made a difference.

2005 SF v Slovakia (although he most likely wouldn't have been picked anyway) but mostly the 2006 final against Russia where Acasuso and Chela played singles against Safin and Davydenko.

Not sure why he wasn't picked for the 2008 final. He was in poor form and in decline but he would have been a better option than Acasuso for a deciding rubber on balls alone.

GOATsol
09-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Would love some footage of this ball boys incident, from what I see he's always very nice with them, but I admit I might be wrong.

As for the second part, you're clutching at straws. Remember Federer's rant at the official in USO 2009 final? Should we deem him a 'bully' because of that and other small incidents. There are no consistent patterns from Delpo to suggest he's like that at all, he's mostly kind to everyone. Sure, he does have some less dignified/angered moments, but most players do. He also seems very well liked by pretty much everyone bar Murray.
Does Murray not like him because of the incident in 2008?

Joolz
09-18-2012, 01:20 AM

No it doesn't.

But yeah, let's focus on the matter at hand...

DJ Soup
09-18-2012, 01:24 AM

I think I read somewhere that Delpo apologized, or that both admitted they overreacted and are in good terms now. (not friends)

but maybe I just smoked this

BigJohn
09-18-2012, 01:28 AM
huh? we're derailing here, who's talking about popularity.
A public figure is someone who is known by the rest of society, usually powered by the media. And in tennis (a popular national sport), Delpo is the current most relevant and important tennis player of the nation. As the coach said: Delpo is our main guy.

Not debating he's a public figure. But he's a tennis player, so not important nor a relevant public figure.

Mark Lenders
09-18-2012, 01:30 AM

I think so. Or maybe he just like to be contrarian, I don't know. Pretty much everyone else loves JMDP. Federer and Djokovic go without saying. Nadal also always had very kind words to Delpo and they seem friendly. Tsonga has been quoted many times saying Del Potro would be top 3 without his injury/surgery and that he sees him in the same way as those guys. Pretty every top player bar Murray wished Del Potro a speedy recovery and kept saying how good/dangerous he can be after his comeback.

DJ Soup
09-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Not debating he's a public figure. But he's a tennis player, so not important nor a relevant public figure.

um... dunno how it works for your individual sportsman in your country, but in my country a top tennis player IS an important and relevant public figure.

shotgun
09-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Del Potro has an okay level of commitment to Davis Cup, the problem is that Nalbandian set the bar too high in that regard with his nationalism.

BigJohn
09-18-2012, 01:40 AM
um... dunno how it works for your individual sportsman in your country, but in my country a top tennis player IS an important and relevant public figure.

The biggest sports stars in Canada are hockey players, and most of them are dumb as fuck and can't express themselves properly. They might be public figures and popular, but they are not important nor relevant public figures. Just like Justin Bieber or Nickelback. Being popular doesn't mean you are important or relevant.

Paula Abdul is a popular public figure, but she is not important nor relevant.

GOATsol
09-18-2012, 02:12 AM
I think so. Or maybe he just like to be contrarian, I don't know. Pretty much everyone else loves JMDP. Federer and Djokovic go without saying. Nadal also always had very kind words to Delpo and they seem friendly. Tsonga has been quoted many times saying Del Potro would be top 3 without his injury/surgery and that he sees him in the same way as those guys. Pretty every top player bar Murray wished Del Potro a speedy recovery and kept saying how good/dangerous he can be after his comeback.
I agree. But I also feel like there's bad blood between Berdych and Delpo for some reason.

Mark Lenders
09-18-2012, 02:19 AM
I agree. But I also feel like there's bad blood between Berdych and Delpo for some reason.

What do you base that on? They always seemed at least ok if not friends to me.

http://answers.bettor.com/images/Articles/thumbs/extralarge/Juan-Martin-Del-Potro-and-Tomas-Berdych-win-rubbers-to-keep-it-even-Davis-Cup-WG-Semi-Finals-2012-187887.jpg

:D

Freak3yman84
09-18-2012, 02:21 AM

How could anyone NOT have bad blood with Mugbych? :o

DJ Soup
09-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Berdych seems to vent bad blood to anyone for that matter. He's a Soderling type.

AntiTennis
09-18-2012, 02:45 AM
he shouldn't play if he is not 100%, hope this time he will recover properly.

Action Jackson
09-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Del Potro has an okay level of commitment to Davis Cup, the problem is that Nalbandian set the bar too high in that regard with his nationalism.

2008 was the real shit one where all the shenanigans of the AAT with the foolish decision to hold the final in Mar del Plata, which lead to conflict with Nalbandian. Del Potro losing to LaLo, threw everything into chaos which meant Acasuso had to step in and he is only slightly stronger than Monaco.

As for his commitment level it's not bad, but very few are up to Nalbandian's level. He wanted to play here, but Jaite wouldn't do it.

Action Jackson
09-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Del Potro definitely has had his dick moments like all players have, some just more than others. He should take as long as he needs to recover.

Michael Armando
09-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Get well soon Juan

martyn
09-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Pretty sure Murray and Delpo buried the hatchet after the incident in Rome 2008.

Subsequent matches between them have had reasonably warm embraces at the net afterwards.

shadows
09-18-2012, 08:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/rkZq7.gif

Stop breaking your body Pony

nevenez
09-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Now the question is will Del Potro ever be injury free?
I think not.

Punky
09-18-2012, 08:37 AM
it makes me sad to know he has health problems, i want him to be a GS Threat like the top 4 but as long as he is not 100% healthy, i dont see it happening.

get well delpo.

i dont think he will have a long tennis career...i hope he will

Aloevera
09-18-2012, 08:40 AM
It's the wrist again...? Doesn't look like he's going to last very long at the top.

duong
09-18-2012, 09:34 AM
It's the wrist again...? Doesn't look like he's going to last very long at the top.

yes, but the other hand

henke007
09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Mughai looking good!!

August
09-18-2012, 12:59 PM
And ppl cry because DelPo (and Fed) won't play in Mughai? :confused:

I'm happy they want to be fit for next year instead of vulturing points this fall.

Cereal Killer
09-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Do you even understand what vulturing means?

saviopr
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Its too hard to Delpo win another major, so many injuries.

Nr 1 Fan
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
This was bound to happen, but like someone said maybe it's for the better. Let's hope he can do some damage at the WTF and prepare for next year to be top fit at the AO.

Corey Feldman
09-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Fed will join him out of there so another absolute cakewalk at Shanhgai 1000 for Nole and Muzza

gotta wonder why Nole never gets tired

Time Violation
09-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Why should he get tired? He's 25 yrs old and will be 3 weeks off before the next tournament starts.

TigerTim
09-18-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Andy+Murray+2011+Shanghai+Rolex+Masters+Day+KiefYe 5C6qBl.jpg
another one coming up :D

saviopr
09-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Fed will join him out of there so another absolute cakewalk at Shanhgai 1000 for Nole and Muzza

He got tired at this point of last season.

Nr 1 Fan
09-18-2012, 01:33 PM

He does, watch the last season. But Federer is just much older and Del Potro is the man of glass. Murray is the only one who never really gets tired and stops for like two months.

saviopr
09-18-2012, 01:40 PM
He does, watch the last season. But Federer is just much older and Del Potro is the man of glass. Murray is the only one who never really gets tired and stops for like two months.

Maybe cause Murray always played less in clay season, when compared with FedNadalNole, so he has more fuel in fall season.

Cereal Killer
09-18-2012, 01:41 PM
That's because he is very fit. :shrug:

I hope del Potro gets better soon, even if I'm not a fan. I don't wish injury on anyone.

Nr 1 Fan
09-18-2012, 01:50 PM
That's because he is very fit. :shrug:

I hope del Potro gets better soon, even if I'm not a fan. I don't wish injury on anyone.

Agreed, but Djokovic (and even Federer, despite his age) are also two very fit guys. Top 4 are actually the fittest guys on tour.

Nr 1 Fan
09-18-2012, 01:51 PM
So makes me think this tiredness at the end of the season is maybe more mentally than physically.

Cereal Killer
09-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, Federer is older than Murray or Djokovic, so it makes a lot of sense for him in my opinion. And Djokovic played more matches than anyone last year, reaching the final in/winning almost every tournament, so I think that's understandable as well.

atennisfan
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
And Djokovic played more matches than anyone last year

not true.
Djokovic played 76 matches last year, the same number of matches as Federer's.

Cereal Killer
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
I meant before he got tired. He lost early in almost every tournament after the USO. Sorry, my bad.

August
09-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Do you even understand what vulturing means?

Playing meaningless events (like Mughai) to get points and possibly threaten GS success. DelPo and Fed show they care about what comes after Mughai.

DemiCrayanhan
09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
put both your wrists in some vodoo protective bubble damn it. just when he's playing well again, same shit happens.

ObviouslyNot
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
It's good DelPo has made this decision. Time to heal and prepare. A speedy recovery to him!

shotgun
09-19-2012, 01:58 AM
2008 was the real shit one where all the shenanigans of the AAT with the foolish decision to hold the final in Mar del Plata, which lead to conflict with Nalbandian. Del Potro losing to LaLo, threw everything into chaos which meant Acasuso had to step in and he is only slightly stronger than Monaco.

As for his commitment level it's not bad, but very few are up to Nalbandian's level. He wanted to play here, but Jaite wouldn't do it.

Well Delpo is not Nalbandian but he's not Federer either. He's injury prone and it's not like he hasn't played Davis Cup matches injured or sick before, booing him on Sunday was over the top.

There seems to be a distance between him and the rest of the team, something that Jaite will need to work on.

Chirag
09-19-2012, 02:01 AM
wish he could play injury free for a full year .But the good thing is he will be rested for that European indoor season

Mark Lenders
09-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Well Delpo is not Nalbandian but he's not Federer either. He's injury prone and it's not like he hasn't played Davis Cup matches injured or sick before, booing him on Sunday was over the top.

There seems to be a distance between him and the rest of the team, something that Jaite will need to work on.

Yeah. If Del Potro wasn't so patriotic, and a nice guy, he'd have quitted DC long ago. The disrespect that the Argentine media show to their best player who has done so much for the country is simply appalling. He got Argentina their first medal in OG 2012, he won them the tie vs Croatia this year, he beat Djokovic and Tipsarevic in Serbia last year and then despite not being in top condition at the time took on Nadal and Ferrer on super slow Spanish clay...

If he didn't love his country so much, he'd just focus on his singles career after all the unfair vitriol towards him.

GOATsol
09-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Yeah. If Del Potro wasn't so patriotic, and a nice guy, he'd have quitted DC long ago. The disrespect that the Argentine media show to their best player who has done so much for the country is simply appalling. He got Argentina their first medal in OG 2012, he won them the tie vs Croatia this year, he beat Djokovic and Tipsarevic in Serbia last year and then despite not being in top condition at the time took on Nadal and Ferrer on super slow Spanish clay...

If he didn't love his country so much, he'd just focus on his singles career after all the unfair vitriol towards him.
Do you know if the media has bashed him before or is this the first time?

Don't understand Spanish so can't keep up with these things.

Action Jackson
09-19-2012, 02:44 AM

No need for the booing at all, but Argentina and DC polarises opinions big time. Their press are world class at scapegoating. As for the second paragraph that's something del Potro actually has to work on as well.

Kat_YYZ
09-19-2012, 05:23 AM
:sad:
get well soon, Del Po.

FlameOn
09-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Nooo :(.

nazzac
09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Get well soon Del Po!!!

Hypnotize
09-19-2012, 01:08 PM

I have no idea id JMDP is a good guy or not but this distance from the rest of his DC team-mates that others have mentioned suggests he may not be. If you can't get on with anyone else in the room, it's usually not them that are at fault. ;)

Thunder Hoad
09-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, he was the only high profile player to speak up for the WTA following the Gilles Simon-saga. Also, he's a Springsteen fan so that suggests he sympathizes with the blue-collar folks (leans socialist, which some may choose to interpret as a negative trait).

Looner
09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I have no idea id JMDP is a good guy or not but this distance from the rest of his DC team-mates that others have mentioned suggests he may not be. If you can't get on with anyone else in the room, it's usually not them that are at fault. ;)

:facepalm: :stupid: :smash: :drink: :crazy:

Hypnotize
09-19-2012, 03:59 PM
:facepalm: :stupid: :smash: :drink: :crazy:
It's sad to say this would count as one of your more eloquent and verbose posts on here. :rolleyes:

GOATsol
09-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Del Potro is a nice guy, I'm sure of it.

saviopr
09-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Do you know if the media has bashed him before or is this the first time?

Don't understand Spanish so can't keep up with these things.

I'm used to read argentinian media and I didnt see anything about that. What I know is that part of public in Parque Roca booed him. The press was neutral about that.

Topspindoctor
09-20-2012, 02:57 AM
IMO the season should be over after USO. There is nothing interesting - couple of MM masters like Shanghai and Paris, Noserer invitational (Basel), Challenger events Luxembourg, Metz and Bangkok. Cancel the season get some good exhos going, maybe some mixed dubs semi-exhos a la Hopman Cup. Allow players to recuperate and come back healthy for next year, I notice more and more players burn out heavily at this time, so why risk injuries by playing clown events no real tennis fan cares about except allowing Vulturer and Mandy to rack up undeserved points?

GOATsol
09-20-2012, 02:59 AM
IMO the season should be over after USO. There is nothing interesting - couple of MM masters like Shanghai and Paris, Noserer invitational (Basel), Challenger events Luxembourg, Metz and Bangkok. Cancel the season get some good exhos going, maybe some mixed dubs semi-exhos a la Hopman Cup. Allow players to recuperate and come back healthy for next year, I notice more and more players burn out heavily at this time, so why risk injuries by playing clown events no real tennis fan cares about except allowing Vulturer and Mandy to rack up undeserved points?
Clearly you are mad that a certain player doesn't have a single WTF title and never will.

:wavey:

Lucilla
09-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Delpo :hug: get well soon...

Action Jackson
09-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Doc, you aren't a tennis you're a player fan. That player isn't playing at the moment work it out.

Sophitia36
09-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Can't believe the Argentinian media are bashing Del Potro for not playing. What a bunch of selfish, ungrateful idiots... :(

It's probably very difficult for a player to take that kind of decision, but Del Po is right I believe, just like Nadal was probably right to skip all those big events in order to recover properly.

Would Argentina have been better off if Del Po had played with his injury, and had made the damage worse, maybe only to lose the match anyway?

Joolz
09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Can't believe the Argentinian media are bashing Del Potro for not playing. What a bunch of selfish, ungrateful idiots... :(

He was booed by part of the crowd at the Parque Roca. But the Argentine media haven't bashed him for pulling out.

He has been criticised for certain things he did before and during the tie (like training separately from the team until two days before the tie, announcing that he'd "play for the people" even though he couldn't be sure he'd last two matches, not talking to the media about his withdrawal). That's not the same as bashing.

Sapeod
09-20-2012, 08:05 PM
This guy is pretty injury prone. Some people thought he could win another slam? Not like this he's not. Scratch that, he's not getting one when he's healthy either. Never mind.

TigerTim
09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
This guy is pretty injury prone. Some people thought he could win another slam? Not like this he's not. Scratch that, he's not getting one when he's healthy either. Never mind.

Bitter much?

Del Potro - 1 slam

Murray - slamless pusher*

*info up to date 1.9.2011

Sapeod
09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Bitter much?

Del Potro - 1 slam

Murray - slamless pusher*

*info up to date 1.9.2011
:lol:

That would be the expected reply a month or two ago, but now? They can't say anything. Del Potro can't win a slam. He is injury prone. Not badly, but he's still prone to injuries. He can't take on the top players consistently and he can't win any titles anymore. He's never winning a slam again. Ever.

TigerTim
09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Feels good man :D

BigJohn
09-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Doc, you aren't a tennis you're a player fan. That player isn't playing at the moment work it out.

*tard

Ibracadabra
09-20-2012, 09:21 PM
If only del potro could be fit we wouldn't have mugs like murray winning slams.

Matt01
09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
:lol:

That would be the expected reply a month or two ago, but now? They can't say anything. Del Potro can't win a slam. He is injury prone. Not badly, but he's still prone to injuries. He can't take on the top players consistently and he can't win any titles anymore. He's never winning a slam again. Ever.

It's not like your predictions were ever any accurate so I'm still confident for Delpo. :) :D

Sophitia36
09-20-2012, 09:26 PM
He was booed by part of the crowd at the Parque Roca. But the Argentine media haven't bashed him for pulling out.

He has been criticised for certain things he did before and during the tie (like training separately from the team until two days before the tie, announcing that he'd "play for the people" even though he couldn't be sure he'd last two matches, not talking to the media about his withdrawal). That's not the same as bashing.

OK, thanks for clearing things up.

I still think the people who booed him for withdrawing are ungrateful idiots, though :D

GSMnadal
09-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Potro must be gutted to miss the Murray Masters

rocketassist
09-20-2012, 09:58 PM
If only del potro could be fit we wouldn't have mugs like murray winning slams.

What happened to the real big four?

:haha:

Ibracadabra
09-20-2012, 10:39 PM
What happened to the real big four?

Two are injured.

rocketassist
09-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Two are injured.

The one 'evidence' you had in favour of it, died 10 days ago.

Three or five, simple as that.

I love it when clearly wrong people cling on to their idealisms with desperation, as their logic sinks.

Ibracadabra
09-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Fluke slam. Come back when he beats nadal and roger back to back in a slam buddy.

rocketassist
09-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Fluke slam. Come back when he beats nadal and roger back to back in a slam buddy.

The fan of the guy who's been to 1 slam final calling the guy who's been to 5 finals' slam as a fluke slam yeah. Okay.

RFK logic.

it's no wonder ossie hasn't been here since last Monday. The Delpotards' retard section have spiralled into depression.

Mark Lenders
09-20-2012, 10:55 PM

The one 'evidence' you had in favour of it, died 10 days ago.

Three or five, simple as that.

I love it when clearly wrong people cling on to their idealisms with desperation, as their logic sinks.

If we're talking overall picture, then it'd be the Big 3. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic's overall credentials are far above everyone else's.

If we're talking about the players who are currently a step above the rest of the field - the current tennis landscape, then it'd be the Big 4 with Murray. JMDP might or might not join them, depending on whether he overcomes his health issues completely or not. At the moment, he's definitely not there.

I guess if we just try to group the currently active players in prime/close to prime who have won Slam(s)/seem likely to win in the next few years, then it'd be a Big 5.

Hardly matters though, this big whatever hype only really interests the media and the ATP desperate to promote the sport, and has only had adverse effects in the sport in general - going to great lenghts with court speed/conditions to make sure other players aren't allowed in big finals, constantly screwing up non 'Big' players. Every real tennis fan should boycott this nonsense tbf.

GOATsol
09-21-2012, 02:49 AM
The fan of the guy who's been to 1 slam final calling the guy who's been to 5 finals' slam as a fluke slam yeah. Okay.

RFK logic.

it's no wonder ossie hasn't been here since last Monday. The Delpotards' retard section have spiralled into depression.
Ok, using the word retard is just offensive and plain rude.

Roy Emerson
09-21-2012, 12:32 PM
He is so injury prone.