S.Petersburg R1 G.Garcia-Lopez d. E.Donskoy 2-6 6-4 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

S.Petersburg R1 G.Garcia-Lopez d. E.Donskoy 2-6 6-4 6-3

motorhead
09-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Donskoy was up a break in the second. Third set was one way traffic.

tennishero
09-17-2012, 06:18 PM
good play from the great grass lord...

raised his level midway in the second, never looked back.

philosophicalarf
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
St Fixersburg strikes again.

This event is going to be hilarious.

rocketassist
09-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Donskoy has a bit of a reputation I believe.

The Prince
09-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Donkey is a choker, but not a fixer.

Good stuff Willy!

Smoke944
09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
St Fixersburg strikes again.

This event is going to be hilarious.

Without looking at the odds it seems unlikely to me. Donskoy playing great tennis the last two months, just reached his career high and now with a WC into a home event where a good tourny could see him into the top-100 for the first time. Just saying :shrug:

Smoke944
09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Donskoy has a bit of a reputation I believe.

Being Russian or Italian and pissing off gamblers by losing when they bet on you seems sufficient to get a "reputation"

misty1
09-17-2012, 08:59 PM
this result sucks. really was hoping evgeny could have gone on a run here

rocketassist
09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Being Russian or Italian and pissing off gamblers by losing when they bet on you seems sufficient to get a "reputation"

I know but I'm inclined to trust philo on these matters.

Smoke944
09-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I know but I'm inclined to trust philo on these matters.

I agree that he is one of the most knowledgeable posters but I still find it hard to believe.

Wing Man Frank
09-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Without looking at the odds it seems unlikely to me. Donskoy playing great tennis the last two months, just reached his career high and now with a WC into a home event where a good tourny could see him into the top-100 for the first time. Just saying :shrug:

Donskoy, for some bizarre reason was the pre-match favourite with the bookies. I mean, you can cite his good form in recent challengers, but who has he actually beaten? No-one.

GGL just stepped it up a level and that was more than enough. Donskoy's ranking is about as good as it will get for him I think.

Edit: Worth noting that Donskoy's pre-match price drifted in quite a bit too.

philosophicalarf
09-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah, just being cynical.

St Petersburg, large move prematch to first set winner, who goes set and a break up, maximising odds on opponent ........ and then Oh! What drama! He somehow loses *rolls eyes*

It's a complete stereotype, you see it every year at St Pete's and Moscow. So maybe not, who knows, I didn't follow the match odds inplay ........ but in events like this with irrational markets beforehand, the "miracle turnaround" is almost the default.

ps no bets here - if there had been one, it was going to be the over, but I skipped it because of the difficulty of transferring Donskoy's challenger form to main tour.

Oh, and if anyone thinks this sounds unlikely, read the appeals on Koellerer's case. He was bribing fellow players 10k euros to throw challenger matches, where it's hard to profit due to limited bookie coverage and no Betfair. Imagine what atp level commands, against the fact that R1>R2 is only an extra 2k euros in prizemoney.

bjurra
09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Donskoy, for some bizarre reason was the pre-match favourite with the bookies. I mean, you can cite his good form in recent challengers, but who has he actually beaten? No-one.

GGL just stepped it up a level and that was more than enough. Donskoy's ranking is about as good as it will get for him I think.

Edit: Worth noting that Donskoy's pre-match price drifted in quite a bit too.

GGL withdrew from an exhibition event in his home town in Spain just a week ago because of a groin problem. By the way he played early on in the match, it looked like he hadn't practiced much lately. Anyway, I really don't think there was anything dodgy in this match.

bjurra
09-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah, just being cynical.

St Petersburg, large move prematch to first set winner, who goes set and a break up, maximising odds on opponent ........ and then Oh! What drama! He somehow loses *rolls eyes*

It was a lot worse 3-5 years ago, I think players have become less willing to acccept criminal offers as the ATP and media has brought a lot of attention to the issue. Also, the Russian tournaments have a bad rep so I think players think twice before doing something stupid.

The ATP might not have succceded in actually catching someone (except small fish Dani) but I do think they have succeded in reducing the number of suspicious matches. Tennis is cleaner now than 5 years ago.

Wing Man Frank
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
GGL withdrew from an exhibition event in his home town in Spain just a week ago because of a groin problem. By the way he played early on in the match, it looked like he hadn't practiced much lately. Anyway, I really don't think there was anything dodgy in this match.

As you say though, it was an exhibition event which is why you shouldn't read too much into stuff like that.

I think the drift was purely because GGL's form has been pretty rubbish in recent times whilst Donskoy has had a good run in the challengers; he is also Russian and it often pays to back the man playing in front of a home crowd.

At the end of the day I've seen a lot of very suspect matches and this wasn't one of them. GGL was a UE machine at the start of the match with Donskoy just having to put the ball back into play in order for GGL to gift him the point. Once that stopped happening he took complete charge.

philosophicalarf
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
It was a lot worse 3-5 years ago, I think players have become less willing to acccept criminal offers as the ATP and media has brought a lot of attention to the issue.

Yeah, that's certainly true - or at least, there are almost none of the massive inplay swings that used to be seen. Moscow & StPete's 2010 were hilarious, but after that the ATP started sending their "suspicious betting patterns in your matches" letters, which then mysteriously all got leaked :worship:

Name and shame, very cunning (they'd all fixed blatantly and repeatedly, so well deserved).

bjurra
09-18-2012, 11:43 AM
As you say though, it was an exhibition event which is why you shouldn't read too much into stuff like that.

But in his home town Albacete! I don't think you turn that down unless you are hurting.

Anyway, we agree on the match being clean and that is the main point.

Wing Man Frank
09-18-2012, 11:49 AM
But in his home town Albacete! I don't think you turn that down unless you are hurting.

Anyway, we agree on the match being clean and that is the main point.

Unless you're a Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc etc I don't think exhibitions necessarily pay the bills!

Anyway, I love St Petersburg and Moscow if for no other reasons than the conspiracy theorists!

bjurra
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Unless you're a Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc etc I don't think exhibitions necessarily pay the bills!

Anyway, I love St Petersburg and Moscow if for no other reasons than the conspiracy theorists!

I think exhibitions pay rather well but that is not the point. If there is one place on earth GGL is allowed to shine and be a star for a day, it is his home town. I doubt he would skip that unless he really felt injured.

Vanity and pride should not be underestimated.