Dead rubbers not being played [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Dead rubbers not being played

Slasher1985
09-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Well, it's been a glorious Davis Cup weekend. But two of the ties have ended with only 4 rubbers being played. Spain against USA and Kazakhstan against Uzbekistan. What do you guys think of the choices to not play these dead rubbers ?

On the plus part, there was no point playing them. The interest was low, and the countries involved get to leave early for whatever destination tournament is next.

On the minus part, it was a great chance to use players with less experience and see them experience Davis Cup games even though there was nothing to contend for anymore. Plus, it's for entertainment value as well to those in the audience wanting to see extra tennis being played.

Good idea or bad idea ?

Brit Tennis Fan
09-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Fans who have paid good money deserve to see two matches even if the last one is a dead rubber.

Tommy_Vercetti
09-16-2012, 11:27 PM
I guess they needed to get rid of them with the decline of the King of the dead rubbers, James Blake.

alypen
09-16-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't know how much a DC ticket costs over here, but I'd have been mighty annoyed if I'd shelled out good money for one and then only seen someone trounce somebody else 6-1, 6-1, 6-1, say. Thinking of parallels with cricket, that's the sort of reason you often get poor turnout on the last day of a multi-day match, because people don't think it's going to be worth their while going to all the effort of getting there only to see maybe a few balls being bowled. I suspect it's not a very healthy situation for the sport to be in.

OTOH, if, say, Djokovic/Murray had been playing this weekend, I could have understood them not wanting to exhaust themselves further before their next scheduled tournaments.

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 11:35 PM
They ought to play out all matches, dead or live. Put some young kids in the dead rubber, get some experience, while the crowd gets their money's worth.

Sure the top guys have all got 250's and challengers to get to, but every DC team should carry a couple futures level kids just in case.

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 11:38 PM
That sucks

Respect the Davis cup, best history outside of the slams

misty1
09-17-2012, 12:08 AM
i can completely understand a team thats just lost the tie opting out of playing the dead rubber. There really is nothing to be gained from it except possibly making the best of 5 thing somewhat closer.

Caralimon
09-17-2012, 01:55 AM
I don't know how much a DC ticket costs over here, but I'd have been mighty annoyed if I'd shelled out good money for one and then only seen someone trounce somebody else 6-1, 6-1, 6-1, say. Thinking of parallels with cricket, that's the sort of reason you often get poor turnout on the last day of a multi-day match, because people don't think it's going to be worth their while going to all the effort of getting there only to see maybe a few balls being bowled. I suspect it's not a very healthy situation for the sport to be in.

OTOH, if, say, Djokovic/Murray had been playing this weekend, I could have understood them not wanting to exhaust themselves further before their next scheduled tournaments.

Dead sunday rubbers are only NOT played when the fourth rubber goes to a 4th or a 5th set.

156mphserve
09-17-2012, 02:58 AM

If it goes 6-1 6-1 6-1 they have to play the final rubber. They only have a choice if the 4th rubber goes 4 or 5 sets, and even then both have to agree not to play, if 1 team wants to play they play. The fans will get at least 4 sets

They ought to play out all matches, dead or live. Put some young kids in the dead rubber, get some experience, while the crowd gets their money's worth.

Sure the top guys have all got 250's and challengers to get to, but every DC team should carry a couple futures level kids just in case.

Dead rubbers have to be played by one of the 4 players named to the team. Which is really stupid imo, the way it is I could careless about seeing some doubles mug get creamed in a dead rubber. If they made the rule so anyone could play the dead rubber then it'd be much better as young practice partners could play and get some experiance like you said

Kat_YYZ
09-17-2012, 03:20 AM
It's not fair to say that only the Djokovics/Federers/Nadals of this world have the right to skip dead rubbers because of the tough tennis schedule. Players ranked 25 and up have priorities too. Many have 250-level tournaments to travel to the next day, in order to keep their ranking up. Some casual fans on tennis forums may call them mugs and vultures, but that is just the reality of the tour. Those tournaments are someone's bread and butter -- it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Maybe they should expand Davis Cup teams to officially be 5 players. that fifth player would likely be a junior or Challenger/Futures player, someone who might be happy for the chance to play that match. :shrug:

iriraz
09-17-2012, 05:55 AM
I understand if a team wins the tie after a tough,close 4th rubber that no one really would be into a dead 5th rubber.But if a team wins 3-0 after Saturday,obviously they should play both dead rubbers Sunday.

156mphserve
09-17-2012, 06:00 AM
yeah if it finishes 3-0 then they have to play both dead rubbers ;)

The only circumstance where the don't play the last rubber is if a team lead 2-1 after Saturday, that team wins the 4th rubber in 4 or 5 sets, and then both teams agree not to play the last rubber.

Goldenoldie
09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Everything about the players, nothing about the paying public. I know I'd be gutted if I paid to watch 2 matches and only saw one, even if the one was 4/5 sets. How about if my favourite player was due on second and I'd travelled a long way to see him? In my view it would be just as bad to substitute lower ranked players.

Looner
09-17-2012, 08:10 AM
I think dead rubbers should be played as they are a great opportunity for the lower-ranked guys to gather some decent points (for one win) and be immersed in the atmosphere of DC. Certainly, there's no point playing them out with the top dogs but I'm sure guys ranked in the 100s will appreciate them.

Slasher1985
09-17-2012, 08:14 AM
I think dead rubbers should be played as they are a great opportunity for the lower-ranked guys to gather some decent points (for one win) and be immersed in the atmosphere of DC. Certainly, there's no point playing them out with the top dogs but I'm sure guys ranked in the 100s will appreciate them.

You don't get points for dead-rubber wins. Only live ones.;)

Looner
09-17-2012, 08:17 AM
You don't get points for dead-rubber wins. Only live ones.;)

I thought it was 15 instead of 25. I am really clueless when it comes to DC points. Then I suppose it really is pointless.

Nr 1 Fan
09-17-2012, 11:50 AM

Yeah, but can only select 4 players for a tie, so it's a risk to pick, say, 2 futures levels guys if the tie is still live on the 3rd day.

August
09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I think current system is OK. Once the tie has been decided, I can't care less about two mugs playing each other in a dead rubber, big names don't want to play dead rubbers. If the 4th rubber was an easy 3-0, then it's good to give the crowd another match, as well as if it's already 3-0 after Saturday.

nole_no1
09-17-2012, 12:20 PM
yeah if it finishes 3-0 then they have to play both dead rubbers ;)

The only circumstance where the don't play the last rubber is if a team lead 2-1 after Saturday, that team wins the 4th rubber in 4 or 5 sets, and then both teams agree not to play the last rubber.

Why is that? It's stupid i don't understand it. Play all the dead rubbers or don't play any of it

Slasher1985
09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Why is that? It's stupid i don't understand it. Play all the dead rubbers or don't play any of it

That's exactly it. At 3-1 there is only one dead rubber and they choose whether to play it or not. At 3-0, they play both of them mandatory (not just one). Part only of the dead rubbers are never played.

guichard
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Because of tickets sale. If there is no play on Sunday they will have to issue refund

Sophitia36
09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Maybe that's why the standard ticket for the DC seems to be a 3-day ticket?

I personally think it's quite silly to play dead rubbers... There's no real excitement, and I feel really sorry for a player who has to play a dead rubber when his team has already lost anyway. The one who's on the winning team can play an exhibition match, but for the one on the losing team that must be a real chore...

Having younger players try their hands at it might be a good idea. But otherwise, I see no point in playing dead rubbers.