Walkover in Davis Cup Final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Walkover in Davis Cup Final

mreccentric
09-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Spain and Czech have made into the Davis Cup final. And i was just wondering about the possibilities about the Finals. When you see in Davis Cup history, only in one occasion, a team has given a walk-over in Final, and thats India Against South Africa in 1974.

Will a country ever give a walkover in Davis Cup Finals in future?
I think there's no such possibility, what do you think? Will it be the only walkover in DC Finals History? Let's see the poll results!

guichard
09-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Spain and Czech have made into the Davis Cup final. And i was just wondering about the possibilities about the Finals. When you see in Davis Cup history, only in one occasion, a team has given a walk-over in Final, and thats India Against South Africa in 1974.

Will a country ever give a walkover in Davis Cup Finals in future?
I think there's no such possibility, what do you think? Will it be the only walkover in DC Finals History? Let's see the poll results!
South Africa won the Davis Cup in 1974 by default as India withdrew from the finals as a sign of protest against apartheid policies.

Slasher1985
09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Guichard is right. That specific Final was not a walkover. It involved South African politics, something that will probably never happen again. Unless North Korea makes it into the final. :lol:

Trollin Stone
09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
^North Korea doesnt have any DC team like other 70 countries in the world.....

mreccentric
09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
South Africa won the Davis Cup in 1974 by default as India withdrew from the finals as a sign of protest against apartheid policies.

Guichard is right. That specific Final was not a walkover. It involved South African politics, something that will probably never happen again. Unless North Korea makes it into the final. :lol:

Whatelse can you call it? India "Withdrew", so it's a "WALK-OVER"...
IMO, India could have played it.

Trollin Stone
09-16-2012, 07:42 PM

This, they could play it completely the same way like Italy in Johannesburg a tie before....
In recent years Australia refused to go to India because of security reasons so this things happen from time to time

Slasher1985
09-16-2012, 07:48 PM
^North Korea doesnt have any DC team like other 70 countries in the world.....

I was merely joking. :lol:

Whatelse can you call it? India "Withdrew", so it's a "WALK-OVER"...

It's called "DEFAULT". It's similar to Disqualified. There is a no-show default in tennis when a team or player does not show for a match or tie without a bona fide reason. India boycotted that final without good reason (tennis wise). That is why it's not a walkover (according to rules), but a disqualification/default.:)

Consult the rulebook, chapter VIII if I'm not mistaken, section M/4/m.

If this were to happen for a singles match, the player would lose all prize money and ATP points awarded for the round he did not show up for. There is also a fine.

KarlyM
09-17-2012, 04:45 AM
2009 New York Times article: The Year the Davis Cup Felt Empty (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/sports/tennis/29davis.html)

Apparently, it was the Indian government that made the decision to boycott for them. Had they not boycotted, there would have been this issue to deal with:
The boycott did spare the South African officials that ran Ellis Park in Johannesburg, which was scheduled to host the matches, from having to accommodate Indian fans.

“The crowd at Ellis Park would have been segregated with just a very small section near the top reserved for nonwhites,” said Sy Lerman, who covered the Davis Cup in 1974 for The Daily Mail in Johannesburg.

Would South African officials have allowed Indian fans to sit among whites, or might they have relegated friends of the Indian team to the nonwhite section? “That would have been a ludicrous chance for us to take,” Vijay Amritraj said.

Chase Visa
09-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Could for political reasons.

Pratik
09-17-2012, 07:11 AM
The one time we could have won something :sad:

It was not just a decision by the government, the Indians players refused to play.

Well, a political reason is much better than qualifying for a world cup(football) and not playing because of a refusal to wear shoes