Davis Cup SF: Berdych def. Berlocq 6-3 6-3 6-4 (Cze 3 Argentina 1) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup SF: Berdych def. Berlocq 6-3 6-3 6-4 (Cze 3 Argentina 1)

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Berlocq had so many break point chances but couldn't convert them. He fought so hard.

Czechs took advantage with no Nalbandian and del Potro today, but it happened to them as well when Steps had to miss a tie.

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Some trolling on break points here, Berlocq like 1/13 and Berdych like 5/8. That's all you need to know.

Berlocq fought like a demon, though, great showing for the Argie crowd.

redshift36188
09-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Berlocq had so many break point chances but couldn't convert them. He fought so hard.
Yeah, couldn't. ;);)

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Navratil acknowledged that del Potro not playing was lucky for them. When the Czechs won the DC in 1980. They defeated Argentina at home.

Timing is everything.

GOATsol
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Hopefully Argentina can win next year :(

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Some trolling on break points here, Berlocq like 1/13 and Berdych like 5/8. That's all you need to know.

Berlocq fought like a demon, though, great showing for the Argie crowd.

They chanted his name afterwards when he was giving the on court interview. As I said with timing, before they didn't have a reliable fast court number 2 player, now they couldn't find one on clay.

Break point conversion success and big match experience clear difference.

Nr 1 Fan
09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Yep, clearly Del Potro was faking, a Great tactical move by the Argies which gave them a big advantage.

JMG
09-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Does that mean Nalbandian will continue in 2013? He surely wants to retire with a DC title.

August
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
The result was NID, Charly is a nice guy. As he knew healthy Nalby would take his place in final, he tanked to concentrate on great fall season and give some joy for Berdych.

Nr 1 Fan
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
On a more serious note, good for Berdych he deserves a DC win, shame it has to be with Stepanek. Spain still favorite for the title though.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Does that mean Nalbandian will continue in 2013? He surely wants to retire with a DC title.

That is what is keeping him going now.

Globetrotter
09-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Looks like the Del Potro / Nalbandian-pairing will never win a Davis Cup title, which is a shame considering the fucking immense talent of both. Less injury trouble and they surely would have won one, feel especially sorry for Nalby right now.

Absolutely thrilled for Tomas though - his level of play was mediocre today, but that's perfectly understandable considering it's his third match in three days and the Argentine crowd isn't too easy to handle as well. Great that he gets another shot at the Davis Cup title, only needs Stepanek to pick up some form.

Berlocq fought like a madman, but that was totally expected. Great guy.

Dougie
09-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Shame, Berlocq had some real momentum in the third set. Crowd was going crazy, it would have been nice if he could have stretched the match a bit further. Some great points, overall a good match.

rocketassist
09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
When was Argentina's last home defeat on clay?

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
When was Argentina's last home defeat on clay?

Slovakia in 1998 with Dominik Hrbaty on fire.

shotgun
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Slovakia in 1998 with Dominik Hrbaty on fire.

Amazing that since 1985 this is only the third home defeat on clay. Surely one of the best home DC records out there alongside Spain's.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Amazing that since 1985 this is only the third home defeat on clay. Surely one of the best home DC records out there alongside Spain's.

Hrbaty took out Gumy and Squillari. Yes, that record is massive and first time they ever lost at Parque Roca as well.

It's the thing that worked out for the Czechs that Nalbandian and del Potro only for Day 1, but as I said before the Czechs they had that issue when Thunder Lips withdrew and got punished.

Will be interesting to read Berlocq's comments about this match. The crowd were very good to him, but win as a team, lose as one as well.

shotgun
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Berlocq did what he could, I think he can feel proud. A few years back when he was battling in challengers, I'm pretty sure he never expected to be playing a decisive Davis Cup SF rubber, with all the depth that Argentina used to have in singles.

I wonder if Argentina will be able to count on Nalbandian for next year, with all the injury problems and he's not getting any younger.

To clinch the title in the next few years, they will surely depend on a fit Del Potro and a favorable draw with home ties so that Monaco can also win some points.

Corey Feldman
09-16-2012, 07:46 PM
good for the game

Berdy on this form is a far tougher final for Spain

Argie captain was so eager to jump out his chair like a hooligan at times but had to sit on his ass when Berdy kept slapping winners on big points http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0035.gif

Kat_YYZ
09-16-2012, 08:00 PM

I'd like to retire with a Ferrari, but I'm pretty sure I'll end my working days without one. :shrug: It's not gonna happen if it's all up to Del Po.

Blue Heart24
09-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Berlocq fought hard,but he doesnt have enough power to beat Berdych.At least not when Berdych is in the moment like he was in this match.Berlocq's shots lacked depth,half court moonballs won't do it against a player like Berych.Great atmosphere and Berlocq got cheered at the end despite the loss.

The Prince
09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Warlocq had mercy, I see.

StevoTG
09-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Well, with the retirement of Roddick, Gonzalez and Luczak in recent times I've found myself running short on players to support. I've always respected Charly, but today I became a fan. His tennis, engagement of the crowd and passion was fantastic. Unfortunately he couldn't take his break point chances and ultimately fell to a more accomplished player. No shame in that, he gave it his all. In my eyes, and by the sounds of it in the eyes of those in Parque Roca, Carlos is a winner.

hipolymer
09-16-2012, 10:26 PM
This could have been another Serbia in the final if Djokovic cared to show up for a match. >:(

Mark Lenders
09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
NID.

Without JMDP, they have NO chance at all, 0.

There's a better chance I'll sleep with Kirilenko tonight than the mug likes of Mugaco and Berlocq winning three rubbers against the Czech team.

I really wasn't joking when I said this. Berlocq and Monaco are useless, weaponless mugs. Argentina will lose R1 next year if Delpo and Nalby aren't fit; hope they can be fit because, if so, Argentina can win the Davis Cup for sure.

Hope Czech Republic wins the final, Tomas deserves a DC title.

J99
09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Why did Del Po bail on this match, was he injured, cause he probably cost his country another DC final.

redshift36188
09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I really wasn't joking when I said this. Berlocq and Monaco are useless, weaponless mugs. Argentina will lose R1 next year if Delpo and Nalby aren't fit; hope they can be fit because, if so, Argentina can win the Davis Cup for sure.
Why is Monaco useless? He could have beaten Berdych and was likely to beat Stepanek.

Mark Lenders
09-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Why is Monaco useless? He could have beaten Berdych and was likely to beat Stepanek.

Did you watch Friday's match? Berdych played his worst match in a long time (yes, including the losses to Darcis and Gasquet) and Monaco still managed to choke when he had everything in his hands to win (4-2 up in the fourth, lost 4 games in a row meekly). He's incapable of delivering under pressure, you'd have to be a very bold man to bet on him in a deciding DC rubber.

Argentina need Del Potro and Nalbandian healthy all year long to be Davis Cup contenders. If they have to rely on Monaco, Berlocq, Schwank and co., they might as well not show up.

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Why did Del Po bail on this match, was he injured, cause he probably cost his country another DC final.

That honor belongs to Monaco. Why would Delpo risk himself winning the 4th rubber when he knows Monaco would choke the 5th?

Had Monaco won and Argentina was 2-1 going into today, I guarantee you Delpo would have played Sunday.

Corey Feldman
09-16-2012, 11:16 PM
i bet Schwank or Berlocq coulda beat Steppa on day one and they could saved Delpo for this match v Berd

August
09-16-2012, 11:34 PM
i bet Schwank or Berlocq coulda beat Steppa on day one and they could saved Delpo for this match v Berd

The problem is that you can't substitute a player from 1st day's OOP and have him playing later. And had you announced Monaco and Warlocq/Schwank as singles player, Monaco would've been Argies No1 in singles, the other would've played Berdy in Friday. Ofc you coulda then substituted Warlocq/Schwank with DelPo. Then Argies shoulda had in doubles Monaco (or DelPo) partnering Schwank/Charly, as the substituted player couldn't have played. And final day woulda been Monaco-Berdy and DelPo (or Warlocq/Schwank) v. Sexy or Rosol.

Had Argies done that, I think it would've been after Friday either 2-0 for them or 1-1, depending on DelPo v. Berdy. Czechs woulda won doubles, so Monaco v. Berdy would've eiter been a must win for Monaco or chance to secure final spot. And I don't know if his chances woulda been better in Sunday, especially after playing doubles. And had it been 2-2 before the final rubber against Sexy/Rosol, Argies player woulda been either DelPo or the non-substituted from Warlocq/Schwank.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. But resting DelPo for Berdy match really wasn't possible, I don't think anybody would use the strategy I described.

redshift36188
09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Did you watch Friday's match? Berdych played his worst match in a long time (yes, including the losses to Darcis and Gasquet) and Monaco still managed to choke when he had everything in his hands to win (4-2 up in the fourth, lost 4 games in a row meekly). He's incapable of delivering under pressure, you'd have to be a very bold man to bet on him in a deciding DC rubber.

Argentina need Del Potro and Nalbandian healthy all year long to be Davis Cup contenders. If they have to rely on Monaco, Berlocq, Schwank and co., they might as well not show up.
I didn't watch the match but I don't see what is inconceivable about DelPo winning 2 singles and Monaco winning 1 (or the eventual doubles from the other guys). DelPo+Monaco can win Davis Cup.

Action Jackson
09-17-2012, 10:52 PM
I didn't watch the match but I don't see what is inconceivable about DelPo winning 2 singles and Monaco winning 1 (or the eventual doubles from the other guys). DelPo+Monaco can win Davis Cup.

Monaco can't win big DC ties away from home. Lenders is right that it has to be Nalbandian and del Potro.