Who will win the 2012 Davis Cup Czech Republic vs. Spain? (Berdych having some fun) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will win the 2012 Davis Cup Czech Republic vs. Spain? (Berdych having some fun)

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Going to be held in the Czech Republic and definitely not on a slow surface. Spain have won too many times as of late, but the Czechs better hope that Stepanek or Berdych don't get hurt that they miss the final?

romismak
09-16-2012, 04:43 PM
So who do you think will win, i think in doubles CZE are favorites and Berdych can win at home vs Nadal, Ferrer, Almagro i see it 50-50 tie.

IOFH
09-16-2012, 04:44 PM
What is Davis Cup?

GOATsol
09-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Depends if dull plays or not.

tennishero
09-16-2012, 04:45 PM
hillarious gift by argentina. czhechs really couldnt get any luckier this weekend..

spain to win 4/1

romismak
09-16-2012, 04:47 PM
CZE hope will play on carpet- i think Taraflex or what is the name they played in 2009 can be used i belive in DC, if not than some fast indoor HC.

Ash86
09-16-2012, 04:49 PM
70-30 for the Czechs. The Czechs should win the doubles but that will require Berdych to play 3 days consecutively which may sap his energy - Granollers/Lopez just made the US Open SF, Lopez has won IW doubles title twice etc. so they're not bad on hardcourts and not necessarily easy to put away...

Berdych v Ferrer - Berdych favoured but Ferrer is higher ranked and think won against him at WTF last year. Can see it going 5
Alamgro v Stepanek - Think Almagro takes this.
Berdych v Almagro - MATCH OF THE TIE!! Hope there's some hitting at each other. :devil:
Ferrer v Stepanek - Ferrer takes this.

WIll come down to how Ferrer and Berdcyh play. I don't see them using Rosol as though he had that win against Nadal he couldn't even qualify for the US Open so hardly consistent!

If Nadal plays (which I really doubt) then Spain are favoured a bit. Good match up. Better than another Spain/Argentina lovefest on clay. A different atmosphere and different surface.

romismak

Don´t thin it will be such important, they need to beat STepanek 2x and win doubles, but Berdych on fast surface indoors with no wind will beat Rafa finally - Rafa if will play his confidence will be low, because he won´t win much indoors or in Asia - if he will play in Asia already, after WTF his confidence and form won´t be good for sure. I belive Berdych will finally beat Nadal after long years.

GSMnadal
Rafa plays -> 3-2 spain
Rafa sits -> 4-1 Czechs

Lopez
09-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Hope that the Czechs win, really think that the team of Stepanek/Berdych deserves it. They've won a lot of ties with both guys playing singles and doubles.

alter ego
09-16-2012, 04:51 PM
CZE has a good chance. They should win the doubles, Berdych should beat the number 2 spanish and might beat even Nadull on a fast indoor surface. Also I can Stepanek troubling the number 2 spaniard.

Globetrotter
09-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Doubles will be key imho. I remember Lopez/Verdasco winning the doubles more or less comfortably in 2009, but that was different circumstances - slow-ass-clay and Stepanek had lost a 5-set-epic against Pics the day before.

If the Czechs can win the Doubles, they might be in with a shout. Still consider Spain to be slight favorites, much will depend on Tomas. He probably won't win a GS title so this will be his great chance for glory (and yes, I'd definitely consider the DC a bigger title than Bercy 2005).

Looner
09-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Spain 5-0. The only chance for them is for Rosol to play his pigeon on his favourite surfaces.

Wing Man Frank
09-16-2012, 04:59 PM
CZE hope will play on carpet- i think Taraflex or what is the name they played in 2009 can be used i belive in DC, if not than some fast indoor HC.

Don't get why they insist on having Berdych play the doubles too. What's wrong with Dlouhy or Rosol stepping in?

The Prince
09-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Almagro won't play, surely?

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Don't get why they insist on having Berdych play the doubles too. What's wrong with Dlouhy or Rosol stepping in?

Dlouhy is playing Challengers not up to top level anymore. They have won 11/12 doubles ties and they play well together. There is your reason.

Lopez
09-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Have you seen Rosol volleying and returning?

Sanya
09-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Nalbandian. :hysteric: This tournament is irrelevant till next attempt, who cares now. :sad:

Ash86
09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Almagro won't play, surely?

It's either him or Feliciano Lopez and Almagro's been in better form... The best for Spain is convincing Nadal to play - actually think Spain's best doubles team might be Nadal/M.Lopez v. Berdych/Stepanek. If Nadal played vs. Stepanek on the first day and played the doubles, it would leave Ferrer to win one of his 2 matches. Might be easier than wanting Nadal to play 2 best of 5 singles including vs Berdych.

Then again, most likely is Nadal won't want his first tournament back to be the DC final. Lack of match practice would show...

Björki
09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Vamos :rocker2:

Wing Man Frank
09-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Dlouhy is playing Challengers not up to top level anymore. They have won 11/12 doubles ties and they play well together. There is your reason.

Have they faced a team as good as the Spanish team and beat them with Berdych playing all three rubbers? It's easy enough to say look at it from a statistical point of view, but the reality is we know Stepanek almost certainly won't win either of the singles matches so if you force Berdych to play the doubles as well you are asking him to perform a miracle if the Czech's are to win.

Let's say that Nadal is fully fit to play, can you envisage a situation where Berdych could play a BO5 on Friday vs Ferrer/Nadal and win, win the doubles on Saturday, then play a singles match vs Nadal/Ferrer on the Sunday and win? No chance.

He was looking exhausted halfway through the third set today against Berlocq despite the fact they'd blown Schwank and Berlocq away in the doubles.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Have they faced a team as good as the Spanish team and beat them with Berdych playing all three rubbers? It's easy enough to say look at it from a statistical point of view, but the reality is we know Stepanek almost certainly won't win either of the singles matches so if you force Berdych to play the doubles as well you are asking him to perform a miracle if the Czech's are to win.

Let's say that Nadal is fully fit to play, can you envisage a situation where Berdych could play a BO5 on Friday vs Ferrer/Nadal and win, win the doubles on Saturday, then play a singles match vs Nadal/Ferrer on the Sunday and win? No chance.

He was looking exhausted halfway through the third set today against Berlocq despite the fact they'd blown Schwank and Berlocq away in the doubles.

It won't matter Berdych/Stepanek play well together as a unit. Navratil is not going to change a winning formation is he. They beat Fed/Allegro from 2 sets down, only team they lost was to Verdasco/Lalo on clay.

Berdych came from the US Open and had to adjust to clay in Argentina, lets see that played a role this weekend.

That's their best combo pure and simple.

MalwareDie
09-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I fancy the Czechs' chances here. The Spaniards have poor records on indoor surfaces, and the Czechs will probably go for broke with the home team advantage. Stepanek is not getting any younger, so they better not blow this chance.

MaxPower
09-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Fastest court that can be built by human engineering.

Big Berd and Rosol for singles

Berd/Steps for doubles

that plan gives ROAST

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Czechs no joke

Nadal on a fast surface is gunna be roasted by Berdych.

jMlo737iems
already happened :shrug:

lightening strikes twice

Kat_YYZ
09-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Congrats Spain on your 6th DC title :zzz:

tripwires
09-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Hope the Czech Republic takes this. :D

GSMnadal
09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Would love Rafa to smash Berdych and make the 'shhhh' gesture to the Czech public. Although he has waaaaay too much class for that obviously

Brit Tennis Fan
09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Does anyone seriously believe that Nadal would rush back to play this tie knowing that it will be on a lightening quick indoor court?

manadrainer
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Rosol will take care if Nadal shows up.

iriraz
09-16-2012, 05:41 PM
I don`t see Stepanek winning any of his singles matches,Berdych can win both his matches(favorite over Almagro,Lopez and 50-50 against Ferrer) and in doubles the Czechs have a slight edge.
So for the Czechs to win,Berdych has to contribute to all 3 points.

IOFH
09-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Does anyone seriously believe that Nadal would rush back to play this tie knowing that it will be on a lightening quick indoor court?

Agreed, knowing Nadal he will be too much of a coward for that. :angel:

LinkMage
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Birdshit to bring in the lube for Rafito as usual. :zzz:

Watch Nadull playing and claimng all the glory as he usually does. Only shows up in the finals to get all the credit. :yawn:

shotgun
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Would be amazing to see the cool duo of Berdych/Stepanek raising the Davis Cup trophy. I hope Nadal doesn't play. :D

romismak
09-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Agree that Berdych playing 2 singles and doubles can be tough, but between WTF-DC is enough time to rest so basically he will play just those 3 matches and have time to rest till AO.

Now i believe it really isn´t important if Nadal-Ferrer or Ferrer-Almagro or Ferrer-Lopez will be ESP singles. Stepanek i think will loose both of his singles matches, his 1st match he will play ESP No.1 either Rafa or David- no way he win this, than doubles and if he must play 5th tie he will be tired and Almagro, Lopez should be favorites vs him- not even talking if Ferrer will be ESP No.2 no chance.

So i think Berdych must win 3 points including doubles where CZE should be favorit. Even 5sets on fast indoor court should be ,,quick,, match to have energy to play 4th rubber vs Nadal/Ferrer - ESP No.1

I really think it doesn´t matter if Rafa will play or not, this tie is on Berdych racuqet and choice of right surface for him-i hope it will be fast HC or carpet- + indoor conditions favour guys with weapons and both Ferrer and Nadal would prefer to play outdoors with wind, hot temperature, sun and so on, Berdych indoors on fast surface must have very bad day to loose to either of them. His 1st serve will be even bigger weapon than normally, his agressive game will give him more winners and Forced errors from ESP player than normally, he can kill those 2nd serves at return, he can even go to the net.

Now i really think Nadal is overrated here, even if he will play - he is indoors half the player outdoors, + on faster surfaces he is clearly not such good, than his confidence won´t be good. If Nadal will play indoor season or Asia or just WTF - no way he will do good, he will be average at best- no confidence, not in form vs Berdych indoors fast surface - i really can´t see NAdal to be favorite here no matter H2H. Don´t forget he will play after weeks-even months without ATP tour level tennis - he can practice yes but it is not the same like playing top guys at tournaments.

Marcoo
09-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Spain is just dominating men's tennis. It would be nice to see an another team winning, like Czech Republic, but I don't think they'll make it

hipolymer
09-16-2012, 06:15 PM
I have a feeling CZE will win, mostly because of home court advantage, and especially if Nadal doesn't play.

Looner
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Would love Rafa to smash Berdych and make the 'shhhh' gesture to the Czech public. Although he has waaaaay too much class for that obviously

Nadal and class :haha:.

Rafa is the GOAT
09-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Would like Rafa Rosol

Corey Feldman
09-16-2012, 06:40 PM
works out well coz i was thinking if Delpo is struggling bad with his wrist again then the Argies were sitting ducks in a final v ESP, coz they'd have to play on HC and Monaco aint gonna do anything there v Spain, Nalbandian is finished as a top level player

so the Czechs winning was far better, Berdy on a fast indoor plus the fact he is something like 14-1 in doubles with Steppa, they should slap the Spanish everyway

congrats on your cup Czechoslovakia

selyoink
09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
3-1 Czechs as long as Berdych plays both singles ties.

No chance Nadal plays. The tie won't be on clay so Nadal won't show up.

Plus it would be stupid of him to rush back from injury for this tie. Davis Cup is largely irrelevant and he has won it multiple times already.

motorhead
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
in case spain will play singles with Ferrer and Almagro then the fourth/fifth rubber would be Berdych-Ferrer as they are the highest ranked for their nations right? this scenario can be very dangerous for Berdych as I would play against Ferrer after having to play rubber1 and doubles... yes would be favourite but I wouldn't right off a possible Ferrer win over him.

nole_no1
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Too early poll we're in september

iramlatif
09-16-2012, 08:30 PM
i doubt rafa will play. I see feli and david playing singles. this is going to be extremely tough for spain to win. berdych is a crazy good player when he puts his mind to it. and stepanek is a great doubles. well i guess we'll just have to wait and see... but it is remarkable that even without rafa playing once this year, they're in the finals. :)

motorhead
09-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Too early poll we're in september

too much excitement in the air

August
09-16-2012, 08:32 PM
in case spain will play singles with Ferrer and Almagro then the fourth/fifth rubber would be Berdych-Ferrer as they are the highest ranked for their nations right? this scenario can be very dangerous for Berdych as I would play against Ferrer after having to play rubber1 and doubles... yes would be favourite but I wouldn't right off a possible Ferrer win over him.

When I was thinking about DelPo's withdrawal, I though about possibilities to affect the OOP. Think about this: Czechs name Sexy/Rosol and Minar as their singles player, just to substitute Minar with Berdy, then OOP is as follows:

Rubber 1 or 2: Sexy/Rosol v. Almagro/?
Rubber 2 or 1: Minar (subst. to Berdy) v. Ferrer
Rubber 3: Doubles
Rubber 4: Sexy/Rosol v. Ferrer
Rubber 5: Berdy v. Almagro/?

That'd mean Minar couldn't then be used to replace anybody later in the tie. Am I strategically wise or just a very bad guy?

motorhead
09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
When I was thinking about DelPo's withdrawal, I though about possibilities to affect the OOP. Think about this: Czechs name Sexy/Rosol and Minar as their singles player, just to substitute Minar with Berdy, then OOP is as follows:

Rubber 1 or 2: Sexy/Rosol v. Almagro/?
Rubber 2 or 1: Minar (subst. to Berdy) v. Ferrer
Rubber 3: Doubles
Rubber 4: Sexy/Rosol v. Ferrer
Rubber 5: Berdy v. Almagro/?

That'd mean Minar couldn't then be used to replace anybody later in the tie. Am I strategically wise or just a very bad guy?

I didn't think about this trick but I would definitely follow this strategy if I were the czech team. this would boost their chances by a great deal imho.

Allez
09-16-2012, 08:50 PM
If Rafa plays it is a no contest situation. If he doesn't the hosts will have a shot even if it's a slim chance. Berdych will have to play the 3 biggest matches of his DC life for them to win. Won't matter if Rafa decides to play though. Routine win for Spain.

August
09-16-2012, 08:53 PM
I didn't think about this trick but I would definitely follow this strategy if I were the czech team. this would boost their chances by a great deal imho.

I don't know if any captain has used that strategy.

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I think it is a 1% chance that Rafa will play.

Realistically, it could go either way.

Ferrer vs. Stepanek and Almagro vs. Berdych on Day 1, can easily see a 1-1 split going into the doubles, which will, as always, be the key point.

No Nadal, this tie is a toss up. If Nadal plays, Stepanek will sit and Rosol will play. But nothing would be better than a live 5th rubber, Nadal vs. Rosol.

Sanya
09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Yep, it won`t be bad if Rafa is allowed to play 5th rubber. :p

Corey Feldman
09-16-2012, 09:08 PM
if Nadull plays who is to say he will play well?

after 6 months out and on his worst surface?

remember how much he struggled after missing Wimbledon 09

but Berdy would still find a way to lose v that Nadal - just like Tsonga did in 2009 Paris Bercy

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
if Nadull plays who is to say he will play well?

after 6 months out and on his worst surface?

remember how much he struggled after missing Wimbledon 09

but Berdy would still find a way to lose v that Nadal - just like Tsonga did in 2009 Paris Bercy

You mean Almagro in 2009 Bercy?

If Nadal is going to come back, he is going to come back at the WTF and the Davis Cup, or not at all. Still I don't expect to see him until Doha.

Mark Lenders
09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
If Nadal doesn't play, Czech Republic will win as Berdych will beat both Ferrer and Almagro and Berdych/Stepanek will win the doubles.

If Nadal plays, Spain will win as Rafa will beat both Berdych and Stepanek. Rafa's presence will decide this tie imo.

August
09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Yep, it won`t be bad if Rafa is allowed to play 5th rubber. :p

Well, that'd almost require Ferrer going past Rafa in ranking, as long as Rafa is Spain's No1, he'd play in 4th rubber. Or he'd be Spain's "4th player" that they'd substitute to 5th rubber and he wouldn't play in Friday. But I don't see that happening. Spain's team will have Ferrer and and Almagro/F. Lopez. M. Lopez will surely play in doubles, so Rafa should take the place of Granollers when either Ferru or Almagro/Feli would partner M-Lop in doubles.

Sanya
09-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Well, that'd almost require Ferrer going past Rafa in ranking, as long as Rafa is Spain's No1, he'd play in 4th rubber. Or he'd be Spain's "4th player" that they'd substitute to 5th rubber and he wouldn't play in Friday. But I don't see that happening. Spain's team will have Ferrer and and Almagro/F. Lopez. M. Lopez will surely play in doubles, so Rafa should take the place of Granollers when either Ferru or Almagro/Feli would partner M-Lop in doubles.

I know, that was a joke exactly due to this reason. :)

Chase Visa
09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Depends on whether Nadal plays.

August
09-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I think this will be decided on whether Rafa plays or not. I must hope Mr Inconsistency Berydych manages to play his best tennis for three days, he is able to beat Ferrer and Almagro/F.Lopez or not-100% Rafa. But if 100% Rafa played, I think he'd beat Berdy even on fast indoor court. But Berdy can bring only two points for Czechs from singles. Berdy/Secy have played well in doubles but one must not forget that M.Lopez/Granollers, especially Lopez, is a great doubles team. I'd say Berdy/Sexy would be slight favourites, but only slight. But Berdy's two matches and doubles can't bring Czechs three points, where could they get the third? If Rafa plays, it'd be quite difficult to imagine Rosol/Stepanek beating 100% Rafa, maybe hot Rosol could do it. And I don't think beating non-100% Rafa would be easy for them. And I wouldn't say Sexy or Rosol would be favourite in a match against Ferrer or Almagro/F.Lopez. If Berdy comes with two singles wins and doubles win, then Czechs won, otherwise it's a wonder if they won.

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd like to see Rosol show some form this fall, get that ranking up and try and get the 2nd singles spot. Surely his ceiling of play is above Stepanek's.

Corey Feldman
09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
You mean Almagro in 2009 Bercy?

Nah, Tsonga lost to Nadal in 2009 Bercy QF

of course Magro match was pathetic but you expect that when its Almagro involved v Nadal

MaxPower
09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
blahblahblah depends on Nadal. wrooooooong

Rosol has never lost a match vs Nadal. It all depends on Rosol. The rafito-slayer

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Another grilled pork with a side of pics comming up :drool:

Certinfy
09-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Play this on super fast indoor grass or super fast indoor carpet please.

Puschkin
09-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Why is everyone talking about Almagro? :eek: Lopez on a fast court is the much better option for the Spaniards, H/H versus Berdych is 4-3 (!) and 2-7 versus Stepanek, but 6 of these were played in 2006 or earlier.

Action Jackson
09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Of course this will be played on a very fast and low bouncing surface. Spain wouldn't expect anything else.

Hopefully the final will be in Ostrava, that's the place where the Czechs get the best support. The venue they use in Prague is booked on those dates.

Avi14
09-17-2012, 07:51 AM
What is Davis Cup?
Davis cup is a tennis tournament which "Noserer" hasn't won till date,neither will he in the future :wavey:

Sombrerero loco
09-17-2012, 08:47 AM
if nadal can play, then spain

garad
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Davis cup is a tennis tournament which "Noserer" hasn't won till date,neither will he in the future :wavey:

Ah...like Kuala Lumpur then..

Action Jackson
09-17-2012, 09:48 PM
The Czech TA are trying to get the prior event that's booked at the Prague venue to move.

duong
09-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Of course this will be played on a very fast and low bouncing surface. Spain wouldn't expect anything else.

I think it will be fast but not that fast.

I remember that the Americans said that they wanted to play on a very fast surface but the Spaniards protested to the ITF, and in the end the surface looked only little quick to me.

I think it will be quite the surface where the French have played in Czech Republic, it was quick, yes, but nothing extraordinary.

In the old times, home countries could really do what they want, but it seems the constraints are high now.

duong
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't understand why Nadal's presence would be so important, as he would just come back, it would not be a full-force Nadal :shrug:

And Ferrer and Almagro are good enough.

But I don't make any predictions : in Davis cup, withdrawals are crucial, esp. for the Czechs, as we saw last week-end, and it will also depend on the moment's form : there are huge form differences in that indoor season.

Besides, I think Stepanek was really underrated in previous comments.

ogbg
09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Close but Spain 3-2.
Granollers/Lopez looked pretty good against the Bryans before Granollers got injured. I'd call that 50-50. Ferrer has a decent H2H against Berdych (5-3, 2-1 on hard) and Stepanek (6-3, 3-0 on hard) so I fancy him to win both singles. Berdych will beat Almagro and Almagro-Stepanek is 50-50.

MTwEeZi
09-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Berdshit needs to bring out the lube. Lubjichit that is. Indoordull will rise.

a9FVPmbOb5M

August
09-18-2012, 04:50 AM

I remember that the Americans said that they wanted to play on a very fast surface but the Spaniards protested to the ITF, and in the end the surface looked only little quick to me.

I think it will be quite the surface where the French have played in Czech Republic, it was quick, yes, but nothing extraordinary.

In the old times, home countries could really do what they want, but it seems the constraints are high now.

I read from DC rules that surface in World Group must be one of the GS surfaces, or surface used in at least three events the prize money of which must be on ATP World Tour level. So carpet is obviously out of question but IIRC Basel's and Paris's surfaces would be OK.

Action Jackson
09-18-2012, 05:08 AM

I read from DC rules that surface in World Group must be one of the GS surfaces, or surface used in at least three events the prize money of which must be on ATP World Tour level. So carpet is obviously out of question but IIRC Basel's and Paris's surfaces would be OK.

It will be very fast as for the Spaniards they can bitch all they want as long as it's within ITF 24-50 scale then they have nothing to whine about.

Carpet is legal as they play tournaments on Challenger level and that classifies. So they have the option of carpet if they want.

In the regulations 38 Surface and Conditions in Note 4 of the Davis Cup rules makes it clear. If carpet is to be laid they have to tell the opposition and ITF, what base it will be laid upon so it fits into the speed regulation.

Henry Chinaski
09-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Croatia were fined for surface speed for their tie against Brazil in 2008. That's the only recent example I can think of.

http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100010749

fast surface + Wilson US Open balls + Karlovic = 11 of 18 sets going to breakers.

Spain's bitching about the surface before their match against the USA was hilarious. Especially when it turned out Verdasco was 9-1 on the same surface the previous 2 tournaments in San Jose.

Pirata.
09-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Especially when it turned out Verdasco was 9-1 on the same surface the previous 2 tournaments in San Jose.

Still lost the doubles though :lol:

Henry Chinaski
09-18-2012, 05:58 AM
verdasco in doubles last year was pure comedy. you could have paired him with peak J-Mac and they would have been destroyed by Xristos and Johnny Groove

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Fernando-Verdasco.aspx?t=pa&y=2011&m=d&e=0#

(Look at the top result. Brazil F42, wtf)

niff
09-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Going to be held in the Czech Republic and definitely not on a slow surface. Spain have won too many times as of late, but the Czechs better hope that Stepanek or Berdych don't get hurt that they miss the final?
Good point about Czech withdrawals, I didn't think of that.....really hope they make the final!

Action Jackson
09-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Good point about Czech withdrawals, I didn't think of that.....really hope they make the final!

Funny thing is while Berdych is the better player. It's Stepanek that's the leader in the team, he is their focal point in the squad through his personality that helps with Berdych and others.

Seen it before Berdych folding like a cheap tent in DC when Stepanek isn't there like when he was in dispute with the federation and against Kazakhstan. The final against Spain in Spain doesn't count since they beat up on everyone at home.

MariaV
09-18-2012, 06:38 AM

Hope the Czechs will win it for you! ;) Just kidding, not just for you! :p ;)

And I hope Rafa won't be stupid enough to try to play. But who knows. :tape: :o

August
09-18-2012, 07:24 AM
It will be very fast as for the Spaniards they can bitch all they want as long as it's within ITF 24-50 scale then they have nothing to whine about.

Carpet is legal as they play tournaments on Challenger level and that classifies. So they have the option of carpet if they want.

In the regulations 38 Surface and Conditions in Note 4 of the Davis Cup rules makes it clear. If carpet is to be laid they have to tell the opposition and ITF, what base it will be laid upon so it fits into the speed regulation.

Check the rules pages 24-25 (http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vcqq/DavisCupRulesampRegu/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daviscup.co m%2Fen%2Forganisation%2Frules-regulations.aspx). The requirement of the surface being used on pro tour is for World Group and Zonal Group I. And minimum of $350,000 of prize money for the pro tour event means it's an ATP World Tour event. So I'd say carpet is allowed only on lower levels of DC.

Anyway, I checked the surfaces of ATP indoor events:

Hard, Acrylic on Wood: Paris, Montpellier
Hard, Greenset on Boards: Basel, Kuala Lumpur
Hard, Greenset: Valencia, Metz
Hard, Decoturf: Rotterdam
Hard, Play-It: Bangkok, Stockholm, St. Petersburg
Hard, Gerflor: Marseille
Hard, Premier Court: San Jose
Hard, Plexipave: Memphis
Hard, Opticourt: Vienna
Hard, RuKort: Moscow

WTF is the only indoor event the surface of which I didn't found. On the other hand, I don't know if World Group must be played on a certain type of hard court, or if being a hard court is enough, maybe there are carpet-like courts that are officially hard courts.

Action Jackson
09-18-2012, 07:27 AM

WTF is the only indoor event the surface of which I didn't found. On the other hand, I don't know if World Group must be played on a certain type of hard court, or if being a hard court is enough, maybe there are carpet-like courts that are officially hard courts.

They are all indoor hardcourts, only thing with all those names are the people that make it and what the base is. So it doesn't matter who makes it as long as it fits the surface and speed requirements.

dazed1
09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
What dd i miss? Rafa plays? how come? injury?

romismak
09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Check the rules pages 24-25 (http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vcqq/DavisCupRulesampRegu/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daviscup.co m%2Fen%2Forganisation%2Frules-regulations.aspx). The requirement of the surface being used on pro tour is for World Group and Zonal Group I. And minimum of $350,000 of prize money for the pro tour event means it's an ATP World Tour event. So I'd say carpet is allowed only on lower levels of DC.

ok so just from this surfaces can be choosed? if so i say Montpellier was really quick and Berdych won there, on that surface he would hit thtrought NAdal with easy and Ferrer would be blown off the court.

DrJules
09-18-2012, 09:19 PM
I feel that Spain are the underdogs in the final, if Nadal is not fit.

Can see Berdych winning both his singles matches and the double match. Spain have a good chance of winning both singles against Stepanek.

Currently predicting 3-2 to the Cze unless Ferrer could pull Berdych shock or Spain pull a double surprise.

A fit Nadal with his big match experience and ability to handle pressure would be a massive bonus and would make Spain favourites.

Hopefully the underdogs and visitors can achieve the win.

Yolita
09-19-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm rooting for Berdych/Stepanek. They have both got on my nerves recently, but I think they deserve this. They have been playing 2 singles and 1 double match in every DC tie since forever. Time to prove that 2 guys can win the DC, if they have enough commitment and get on well.

Spain has won many cups and will no doubt win more in the future. :)

acionescu
09-19-2012, 05:22 AM
If a two men team deserves a DC that's Czech Rep. Step and Berd dedication in the last years has been exemplary, all that DC is about :bowdown:

Ostrava will be a boiling pot, of course, cant wait for Berd-Mucho :lol:

duong
09-19-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm rooting for Berdych/Stepanek. They have both got on my nerves recently, but I think they deserve this. They have been playing 2 singles and 1 double match in every DC tie since forever. Time to prove that 2 guys can win the DC, if they have enough commitment and get on well.

and are lucky : you always need luck to win Davis cup, except if you are Spain maybe and not even. The draw especially has always been a huge key in Davis cup.

Against a fit Del Potro and Nalbandian and if Djokovic had played the QF, they would not be there.

I can root for the Czech people since Spaniards have got it too often, even though I prefer Ferrer and Almagro than Berdych and Stepanek.

Action Jackson
09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
If a two men team deserves a DC that's Czech Rep. Step and Berd dedication in the last years has been exemplary, all that DC is about :bowdown:

Ostrava will be a boiling pot, of course, cant wait for Berd-Mucho :lol:

They are still trying to get the tie played in Prague, so they can overcharge the visitors easier.

bounccer
09-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Stepanek to retire after a glorious win in the 5th match.

August
09-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Stepanek to retire after a glorious win in the 5th match.

I don't think so, he's had a good year in doubles. I think he'll play yet some years, maybe concentrating even more in doubles.

Chirag
09-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I hope the czechs take it :drool:

kafkavert
09-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Fast tennis is amazing! Carpet will be back!

Petronius
09-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Would love for CZ to clinch the FedCup/DavisCup double this year. Last country to achieve this was the US in 1990, but it's a huge country with 300M+ people so this would be much more impressive.

The Davis Cup will be more difficult to win, no doubt, but the home crowd is definitely an advantage for CZ. Both finals will be probably held in the 15,000 Prague arena.

I also think people are underestimating Stepanek. He held matchpoints against Tipsarevic during the CZ-Serbia QF so saying that with Djokovic Serbia would have surely won is nonsense. Not to mention Berdych's MP against Djoker in the 2011 ATP Tour Finals. These matches could have gone either way.

May the better team win.

Petronius
09-20-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't think so, he's had a good year in doubles. I think he'll play yet some years, maybe concentrating even more in doubles.

He said that his hero is Czech ice-hockey player Jaromir Jagr, who is 40 and is stil playing the NHL at top level. Last year (at 39 yrs old) he was voted the best forward of the world ice-hockey championships.

Expect Stepanek to play singles until 40 and the doubles well into his fifties :lol:

duong
09-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Fast tennis is amazing! Carpet will be back!

I don't think it will be allowed

Action Jackson
09-21-2012, 02:52 AM
He said that his hero is Czech ice-hockey player Jaromir Jagr, who is 40 and is stil playing the NHL at top level. Last year (at 39 yrs old) he was voted the best forward of the world ice-hockey championships.

Expect Stepanek to play singles until 40 and the doubles well into his fifties :lol:

Did they end up moving the other event which clashes with the DC final? Prague is like a library compared to Ostrava when it comes to crowd noise.

Stepanek the future DC captain.

rocketassist
09-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Nice one Fedal getting carpet banned :rolleyes: Pathetic divas.

duong
09-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I read that Verdasco wants to play the final :lol:

Looner
09-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Nice one Fedal getting carpet banned :rolleyes: Pathetic divas.

Wait, what :confused:.

Could we please stop putting Federer together with the Dull thing when it comes to carpet? Roger won his first title on that surface FFS, so he doesn't stand to gain from such changes.

Nole Rules
09-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Could we please stop putting Federer together with the Dull thing when it comes to carpet? Roger won his first title on that surface FFS, so he doesn't stand to gain from such changes.

But Fed (with Nadal) supported the idea of not having Carpet events on the tour IIRC. I'm not sure about that though.

Nole Rules
09-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I think Spain are the faves to win. Can't count on Berdshit to win 2 matches.

GSMnadal
09-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Clueless.

It was about preventing injuries. Federer has quite something to gain from that, I reckon. He had just as much say in it as Rafa, what's the big deal? You don't always have to agree with the guy just because he's your god :rolleyes:

TigerTim
09-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Slowdownerer and Dull argued argued for the end of carpet at Paris amoung other tourneys, disgusting two faced vultures claimed that it was dangerous :facepalm:

of course the long term health effects of playing 9 months of the year on concrete are no yet kno...........oh wait :o

Action Jackson
09-21-2012, 11:29 AM
But Fed (with Nadal) supported the idea of not having Carpet events on the tour IIRC. I'm not sure about that though.

He did support it.

Even then as long as this surface isn't slow then more chances for the Czechs, but they can't have injuries.

duong
09-21-2012, 12:53 PM

When Nadal and Fed pleaded to get rid of carpet (Taraflex) in Paris, there were already hardly any carpet tournaments left on Tour, the movement to another surface started long before, even in the beginning of the 90s, as some people proved.

Then OK to accept Fed and Nadal's responsibility in that, but summarizing the change to only the two of them is a caricature which is too often made in this forum.

August
09-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Did they end up moving the other event which clashes with the DC final? Prague is like a library compared to Ostrava when it comes to crowd noise.

Might that impression be caused by Ostrava's arena that's smaller? Or are people at Ostrava madder about tennis? Anyway, I just read from TF that all tickets for Fed Cup final in Prague were sold in Monday when the sales started. So interest seems to be huge. Hopefully the atmosphere is great in both finals.

Ash86
09-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Reports from Spain today that Nadal may play in the final - but in doubles with Marc Lopez. Potentially then available for the singles on the final day if needs be. Makes sense - doubles far less taxing physically than singles, he's a much better option to partner Lopez than Marcel Granollers, him and Lopez have won IW twice and Doha twice - have a great friendship and partnership and would be ESP's best hope of the doubles point... Could be a good chance for Nadal to get back into the competitive swing of things too...

So far only a rumor, but is running for social networks like wildfire. Rafa Nadal would return to the slopes for the Davis Cup final on 16 November in Prague, Czech Republic face as holding 'Tennis World'. So far only a rumor circulating among firms, but increasingly is stronger. The idea is that the Spaniard back to Alex Corretja captained quartet to play the doubles with Marc Lopez. Yes, as long as you are fully able because doctors do not want to force their return under any circumstances.

The number one Spanish and the current top 8 in the world in doubles ranking meet and interpenetrate to perfection. In fact, together they have lifted four trophies (two class Masters 1000 Indian Wells). Meanwhile, the Czech team, composed of Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek as great strengths, indoor hard court will require the best of the Spanish version.

Nobody will force Nadal to make an extra effort, but it raises very serious player help the Spanish team as much as possible, as the 'salad bowl' is a trophy which makes it a very special enthusiasm and want to be with their peers in as far as possible, provided that in no danger pongfa recovery. In fact, it is reaching even rumored that, if necessary, Nadal could participate in the final day of competition at the 'singles'.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20120924/tenis/copa-davis/rafa-nadal-copa-davis-chequia_54351779943.html

August
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
So, if Rafa played the final rubber, the OOP would be:
Rubbers 1 & 2: Berdych v. Almagro/F. Lopez
and Stepanek/Rosol v. Ferrer
Rubber 3: Berdych/Stepanek v. M. Lopez/Nadal
Rubber 4: Berdych v. Ferrer

And guess what?

Rubber 5: Rosol (or Stepanek) v. Nadal :drool:

Ash86
09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
So, if Rafa played the final rubber, the OOP would be:
Rubbers 1 & 2: Berdych v. Almagro/F. Lopez
and Stepanek/Rosol v. Ferrer
Rubber 3: Berdych/Stepanek v. M. Lopez/Nadal
Rubber 4: Berdych v. Ferrer

And guess what?

Rubber 5: Rosol (or Stepanek) v. Nadal :drool:

There's no way the CZE captain would choose Rosol I don't think. Based on Rosol's recent results it definitely seems like Wimbledon was a fluke performance - if it was a decisive fifth rubber would he go with the experienced player who has performed for the Czechs or the loose cannon who most likely would bomb? Yes Rosol has beaten Nadal so that would be a factor but more than Nadal himself, Rosol was on another planet that day. In the cold light of day that seems like quite a roll of the dice. Then again, they might think there's no way Stepanek could win vs Nadal - might as well try Rosol - could be a beatdown or everything could fall in place.

Would be quite nice for Nadal to win the fifth point vs Rosol. ;)

Certinfy
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
There's no way the CZE captain would choose Rosol I don't think. Based on Rosol's recent results it definitely seems like Wimbledon was a fluke performance - if it was a decisive fifth rubber would he go with the experienced player who has performed for the Czechs or the loose cannon who most likely would bomb? Yes Rosol has beaten Nadal so that would be a factor but more than Nadal himself, Rosol was on another planet that day. In the cold light of day that seems like quite a roll of the dice. Then again, they might think there's no way Stepanek could win vs Nadal - might as well try Rosol - could be a beatdown or everything could fall in place.

Would be quite nice for Nadal to win the fifth point vs Rosol. ;)
I think the Czechs would be idiots to play Stepanek instead of Rosol against Nadal though. Fact is you might as well throw Rosol out there and let him ballbash and see what happens, it's unlikely he'll rise to the occasion once again, but I would still give more hope to that than Stepanek even getting a set.

Anyway would be hilarious to see Nadal showing up for DC just for the doubles. Still a good Spanish team though, I definitely fear Lopez more than Ferrer on a fast court, especially for Berdych.

August
09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Also, Spain may say Nadal will possibly play the 5th rubber, just as a bluff. Rosol might be the preferred option against Rafa, Sexy against Almagro or Lopez.

Ash86
09-24-2012, 07:49 PM
I think the Czechs would be idiots to play Stepanek instead of Rosol against Nadal though. Fact is you might as well throw Rosol out there and let him ballbash and see what happens, it's unlikely he'll rise to the occasion once again, but I would still give more hope to that than Stepanek even getting a set.

Anyway would be hilarious to see Nadal showing up for DC just for the doubles. Still a good Spanish team though, I definitely fear Lopez more than Ferrer on a fast court, especially for Berdych.

Yeah I can see that argument. Rosol probably has a 5% chance of winning while Stepanek practically none. So might as well try Rosol. My low assessment of Rosol hasn't got much to do with Nadal, who one would expect would not be in the best form and playing fast indoor hardcourts is his worst nightmare anyway, but all to do with just how bad Rosol has been lately. Then again, the indoor conditions might suit his ball bashing and it could all fall in place.

Think ESP will be hoping they can win without the fifth rubber - win the doubles, win Stepanek/Ferrer and Berdych/Ferrer. The last one is tough but not impossible - you just never know which Berdych will turn up.

abraxas21
09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
berdych is a pos. i expect a full bend over in the final

Topspindoctor
09-25-2012, 02:25 AM
berdych is a pos. i expect a full bend over in the final

He'll do fine IMO, all he has to do is imagine he's playing Noserer in QF of a slam.

Action Jackson
09-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Might that impression be caused by Ostrava's arena that's smaller? Or are people at Ostrava madder about tennis? Anyway, I just read from TF that all tickets for Fed Cup final in Prague were sold in Monday when the sales started. So interest seems to be huge. Hopefully the atmosphere is great in both finals.

TF doesn't count. Ostrava is a better sporting crowd than they are in Prague, that's where the Czechs have their best fans.

Action Jackson
10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
They got that the other event moved and final will be held in Prague. Of course more money for the Czech federation holding it there, though it will be a library in Prague.

Chirag
10-02-2012, 11:11 AM
They got that the other event moved and final will be held in Prague. Of course more money for the Czech federation holding it there, though it will be a library in Prague.

will it be in fast indoors condition

Filo V.
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Rosol isn't good enough to be trusted for a DC finals match.

JamieMU30
10-15-2012, 07:49 PM

:haha: How do you handle the pressure of beating a number 1 player on Centre Court at Wimbledon and not be able to handle the pressure of Davis Cup?:haha: Bitter and deluded hater today, but this comment is just :stupid:

samanosuke
10-15-2012, 07:52 PM

ofc if nadal isn't playing

emotion
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
If I were the Czechs, I'd pick an ultrafast surface, play Stepanek and a doubles specialist in dubs, Berdych both days, Stepanek against Ferrer, and Rosol against Nadal

romismak
10-16-2012, 11:45 AM
How the things are looking now, CZE is every day bigger favorit - it looks like Rafa won´t play after all, his statements and everything - also how Stepanek played in Shanghai, he is looking good for match vs Spaniards, he definitely if rested and pushed by crowd can win 1 match in singles-Ferrer,Almagro, Lopez, Verdasco and don´t know who else pontetially can play, definitely are beatable vs Stepanek with crowd behind him indoors on fast surface. And than Berdych of course needs to play well and beat anybody who will stands vs him.

August
10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
If I were the Czechs, I'd pick an ultrafast surface, play Stepanek and a doubles specialist in dubs, Berdych both days, Stepanek against Ferrer, and Rosol against Nadal

I don't know if Czechs have any better doubles player than Berdych to pair Stepanek. And usually both Berdych and Stepanek have played all three rubbers, and I think that it's not too much at least for Berdych. But I might consider Rosol for Friday, to rest Stepanek, especially if Rafa is in the Spanish team because Steps/Rosol would then be Rafa's Friday opponent, and that'd be sure loss for Stepanek. But if Rafa would be in the Spanish team, yet not playing in Friday, I'd substitute Rosol to Stepanek. Ferrer would then be Stepanek's opponent, and I think Radek could have a chance. And Czechs must not rely too much on winning doubles and Berdych winning both his matches, also Spain have a good doubles team.

Ben D.
10-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Nadal

August
11-02-2012, 11:41 PM
You can make some conclusions about the speed of DC final's surface this weekend when Fed Cup final is played in the same arena on the same surface. Only difference is that FC final's ball is Wilson Tour Davis Cup, DC final's ball is Head ATP.

DrJules
11-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Will Ferrer have any energy left.

finishingmove
11-03-2012, 10:52 AM
lol spain will win this comfortably.

The Prince
11-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Spain will still win.

Ferrer will win both his matches and Granollers/Lopez will win the doubles.

JurajCrane
11-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I think it is very open, Ferrer will be maybe physically down after Paris and WTF, but we all know his DC record - Berdych the same story, but worse DC record, home crowd could be factor here.

Almagro recently played good in Paris, he could be threat on fast surface with his backhand and strong serve.

I don´t know really, I feel it is all about whether which Berdych will show up.

Action Jackson
11-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Spain squad

Ferrer
Almagro
Granollers
Marc Lopez

LaLo is the reserve.

Sombrerero loco
11-05-2012, 09:29 AM
please spain win somehow :hysteric:

August
11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Spain squad

Ferrer
Almagro
Granollers
Marc Lopez

LaLo is the reserve.

So, is it now official Rafa won't play?

Action Jackson
11-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Well considering Corretja named the squad and has submitted it.

Sombrerero loco
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM

lol of course he wont play. i would be surprised if he played aussie open

romismak
11-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I watched Fed cup F, they said it will be the same surface, i don´t think it was so fast, they even said they like higher bounce - probably for Berdych´s striking zone, but higher bounce means Stepanek´s volleys won ´t be so effective, we will see how it goes, if Berdych can hit trhough Ferrer in long match- best of 5 format and if Stepanek can deal with Almagro.

Mr.Michael
11-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Saw a tweet today where David Ferrer was quoted saying that the court is faster than anything he's seen this year. Sounds promising, if true.

Corretja is probably going with M.Lopez and Granollers in the doubles. They could really use Feli against Berdych and Almagro against Stepanek on sunday, but he can't have it all.

August
11-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Saw a tweet today where David Ferrer was quoted saying that the court is faster than anything he's seen this year. Sounds promising, if true.

Corretja is probably going with M.Lopez and Granollers in the doubles. They could really use Feli against Berdych and Almagro against Stepanek on sunday, but he can't have it all.

Feli isn't in the Spanish team.

Mr.Michael
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Feli isn't in the Spanish team.

It was announced that he travelled with the team as a fifth member. They can obviously change the line-up before the draw. But it's hard to imagine Corretja changing the doubles, but it would give them more options.

Mark Lenders
11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
As everyone knows, the Davis Cup final will be played next weekend between Czech Republic and Spain and Berdych already knows who the weak link of the Spanish team is - Almagro:

I beat Almagro most of the times in 2012. If he gets to play, he'll be the weak link on which to build our victory.

Almagro misses this little something that characterises great players. This year, he won small tournaments.

Tomas :yeah: Only thing missing was calling Ferrer out on his false #5 ranking. Let's hope Berdych backs up these words by trashing both Almagro and Ferrer this weekend and winning the Davis Cup for Czech Republic.

Full interview in Spanish here: http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/deportes/copa-davis/grupo-mundial/berdych-calento-la-final-si-almagro-juega-sera-el-punto-debil/2012-11-13/135406.html

Federer in 2
11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Is there any chance Ferrer and Berdych won't play each other?

Certinfy
11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Good shit Tomas. He should beat both Almagro and Ferrer if the court is of a good speed, only Spaniard I really feared a lot on these courts was Lopez.Is there any chance Ferrer and Berdych won't play each other?
:facepalm:

But yes, if a team can finish it before reverse singles it's very unlikely it'll take place.

Fed fordawin
:worship::worship::worship:

That final is going to be great, no matter the result :lol:

Mark Lenders
Is there any chance Ferrer and Berdych won't play each other?

It's actually quite likely. Berdych beats Almagro and Stepanek beats Ferrer in day 1, and CR win doubles. If the Czech prepared a proper fast indoor court as they should, this would be the normal sequence of events.

Federer in 2
11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Stepanek won't beat Ferrer even if they play on glass. But it should be the 4th rubber right?

niff
11-13-2012, 08:40 PM
:haha: I love it.

Mark Lenders
11-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Stepanek won't beat Ferrer even if they play on glass. But it should be the 4th rubber right?

Yeah right, must be why in the 2009 final Ferrer could only win 8-6 in the fifth on Spanish clay. Stepanek should win, it's on his racket on a fast indoor court.

But yes, Berdych vs Ferrer will be the fourth rubber if it happens.

Federer in 2
11-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Then most likely we will see this :drool::drool::drool:

Certinfy
11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Stepanek has more than a good chance against Ferrer and Almagro on anything other than a slow court.

Should be good. I also favour the Czechs in doubles, as good as the Spaniards were in London their opponents played no where near as well as the Czechs can play.

Mark Lenders
11-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Then most likely we will see this :drool::drool::drool:

You really want your boy to be exposed as a fraud once again :lol:?

You should be more worried about whether or not he can Stepanek on the first day :lol:

manadrainer
11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah right, must be why in the 2009 final Ferrer could only win 8-6 in the fifth on Spanish clay. Stepanek should win, it's on his racket on a fast indoor court.

But yes, Berdych vs Ferrer will be the fourth rubber if it happens.

I have got a question: do the teams number ones always play the fourth rubber? If so, why?

Tag
11-13-2012, 09:11 PM
unfortunately, they can't both lose

but spain, i suppose

ferrer deserves the spotlight and praise

berdych boasting would be insufferable

his oxygen deprived brain would convince him he'd won something all by himself

Federer in 2
11-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I have got a question: do the teams number ones always play the fourth rubber? If so, why?

1-2
2-1
Dubs
1-1
2-2

I think

DrJules
11-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Hope Spain can achieve a miracle, but give them little chance.

The crowd and court combination makes this nearly impossible.

Spain are very mcuh the underdogs.

shotgun
11-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Only thing missing was calling Ferrer out on his false #5 ranking.

Agree. Would be hilarious if he called Ferrer "overranked".

TechnoViking
11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Czechs will obtain a comfortable victory. Berdych will easily win both rubbers, on a fast court, and Spain will be fortunate to win more than one of the other matches.

Action Jackson
11-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Order is

Stepanek vs. Ferrer
Berdych vs. Almagro

Wing Man Frank
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Berdych v Ferrer will decide it. Cannot wait.

Think Ferrer will do it.

duong
11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
As Granollers and Marc Lopez are in the team, Feliciano Lopez has no possibility to play anymore, unless he replaces an injured opponent at last minute tomorrow morning.

After that last minute tomorrow morning (it has to be made until two hours before tomorrow's first match, I think), it will be impossible to make any changes inside the 4 players of the team. There's no official 5th player in a Davis cup team contrary to what many people think.

And even for that last minute change, I think the injury of one of the players has to be checked by an official.

Then I think Navratil was wrong in what he said ... or more probably he just said that to upset Almagro, as Berdych did as well ;)

Mark Lenders
11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I hope either Ferrer beats Stepanek or, ideally, Spain win the doubles rubber, so Berdych gets to play Ferrer in a live rubber and further expose his inflated ranking with a 3-set rout.

Agree. Would be hilarious if he called Ferrer "overranked".

Hilarious, yet true.

Wing Man Frank
11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I hope either Ferrer beats Stepanek or, ideally, Spain win the doubles rubber, so Berdych gets to play Ferrer in a live rubber and further expose his inflated ranking with a 3-set rout.

Hilarious, yet true.

Willing to make our bet in this match?

If Berdych beats Ferrer I will get banned for life. If Ferrer beats Berydch you get banned for life.

The court is fast and Ferrer is overrated and has an inflated ranking. How could you possibly decline the bet?

uxyzapenje
11-15-2012, 01:27 PM

If Berdych beats Ferrer I will get banned for life. If Ferrer beats Berydch you get banned for life.

The court is fast and Ferrer is overrated and has an inflated ranking. How could you possibly decline the bet?

Why so much hate for Mark Lenders? Wasn't it you who created 'should Mark Lenders leave MTF is Ferrer beats Tsonga' thread?

duong
11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
It seems that Feliciano Lopez complained about not being chosen, that the decision was impossible to understand in "technicians' eyes, and also said that Berdych much preferred playing Almagro than him and this surface was ideal for him :rolleyes:

http://www.as.com/tenis/articulo/feliciano-nivel-tecnico-nadie-entiende/20121115dasdasten_2/Tes

I will fully be with Nico tomorrow (and on sunday if necessary) :D

Chirag
11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Why does it have to be banning .Cant it be a signature thing

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Wing Man Frank
11-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

I never read anyone's sig. Would have zero affect on me.

BroTree123
11-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Because it's cooler that way. The higher the stake, the funner it is.

Mark Lenders
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Maybe because I don't want you (or any other poster) banned? Yes, you are a terrible poster and can be annoying, but only in the same way a mosquito is annoying: sure, it can bug a bit but it is easily squashed. You will never see me campaigning for you to leave the forum ie this sad 'bet' you proposed and that pathetic thread on off topic.

Just grow up and stop whining. If you don't want to see my posts, this forum has an ignore feature: use it. I will never do lifetime ban bets with you even if the match in question is Djokovic vs some mug outside the top 100.

Wing Man Frank
11-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Maybe because I don't want you (or any other poster) banned? Yes, you are a terrible poster and can be annoying, but only in the same way a mosquito is annoying: sure, it can bug a bit but it is easily squashed. You will never see me campaigning for you to leave the forum ie this sad 'bet' you proposed and that pathetic thread on off topic.

Just grow up and stop whining. If you don't want to see my posts, this forum has an ignore feature: use it. I will never do lifetime ban bets with you even if the match in question is Djokovic vs some mug outside the top 100.

That was a long-winded reply Lenders. If you're too scared that's OK.

You make absurd claims and then do not have the guts to back them up.

Keyboard warrior I believe is the correct term.

Certinfy
11-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Mark Lenders vs Bashatik or whatever in a permaban contest over Berdych vs Ferrer I wouldn't mind.

Mark Lenders
11-15-2012, 02:42 PM
That was a long-winded reply Lenders. If you're too scared that's OK.

You make absurd claims and then do not have the guts to back them up.

Keyboard warrior I believe is the correct term.

Yup, that's actually an apt description for people obsessed with getting posters on a forum banned. Keep fighting the good fight :lol:

GOATsol
11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
This forum wouldn't be the same without Mark Lenders. :sad:

Certinfy
11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
This is kind of true. Although he's a clown he's a clown in an entertaining way.

Mark Lenders
11-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Can't good rep you again unfortunately.

Wing Man Frank
11-15-2012, 02:53 PM

I prefer the mentally challenged to be kept locked up myself.

uxyzapenje
11-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Can't good rep you again unfortunately.

Maybe she meant it in a bad way :devil:

Don't worry.....

Dude, edit this before you get banned.

GOATsol
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Maybe she meant it in a bad way :devil:.
I meant it in a good way.

rocketassist
11-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Rosol to turn up in the 5th rubber and be the hero is the dream scenario.

Certinfy
11-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Dude, edit this before you get banned.
Thanks, just deleted it.

Don't see what was wrong but knowing how much the moderators on this forum love sucking Ferrer off it was the right thing to do.

uxyzapenje
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks, just deleted it.

Don't see what was wrong but knowing how much the moderators on this forum love sucking Ferrer off it was the right thing to do.

It's a personal attack. I got a warning for something similar (but not as offensive).
It's the moderators' twisted justice system. :o

Pratik
11-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Navratil upto his usual stunts :haha:
Nominates Minar/Rosol for doubles :haha:

Har-Tru
11-15-2012, 03:19 PM
STFU Feliciano you ****.

Mark Lenders
11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I meant it in a good way.

Yeah, I know, thanks :hug:

Frank is probably just trying some late ACC campaigning, but although he will have my vote for sure I doubt that will be enough with a juggernaut like Filo V (and others) in the draw :lol:

Certinfy
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
:haha:

Never gets fucking old. Always the same shit they pull when Berdych and Stepanek play instead:
2-0 - B/S need to close it out as quickly as possible.
1-1 - B/S need the get the lead lead going into the final day.
0-2 - B/S need to keep them in the tie.

August
11-15-2012, 03:26 PM

That was NID.

Har-Tru
11-15-2012, 03:27 PM
As Granollers and Marc Lopez are in the team, Feliciano Lopez has no possibility to play anymore, unless he replaces an injured opponent at last minute tomorrow morning.

After that last minute tomorrow morning (it has to be made until two hours before tomorrow's first match, I think), it will be impossible to make any changes inside the 4 players of the team. There's no official 5th player in a Davis cup team contrary to what many people think ... except one : the Davis Cup captain is allowed to replace a player ;)

And even for that last minute change, I think the injury of one of the players has to be checked by an official.

Then I think Navratil was wrong in what he said ... or more probably he just said that to upset Almagro, as Berdych did as well ;)

Is that true? Awesome. I'd love to see Corretja and Navratil battle it out in the fifth.

Wing Man Frank
11-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Would be ridiculous to play Berdych and Stepanek in the doubles. I said this early on in the thread and Action "I know it all" Jackson got upset.

Pratik
11-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Would be ridiculous not to play Berdych and Stepanek in the doubles.

Fixed.

Certinfy
11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Anyone remember the 2009 SF vs Croatia?

Stepanek played 6 hours and Berdych played 4 hours on the Friday and they still played the pair in the doubles. :eek:

duong
11-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Is that true? Awesome. I'd love to see Corretja and Navratil battle it out in the fifth.

I had heard so, especially about Clément for doubles in the French team, but from the Davis cup rules it doesn't seem possible actually :

the captain may play but in that case they can't nominate 4 other players, it seems :

Davis cup rules (http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vcqq/DavisCupRulesampRegu/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daviscup.co m%2Fen%2Forganisation%2Frules-regulations.aspx)

Fed fordawin
11-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Spanish players won't be able to develop their anti tennis on a fast surface. The czechs will prevail.

Lucilla
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Spain will win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pratik
11-15-2012, 05:22 PM
My pick is the Czech.

Ferrer beats Steps
Berdych beats Almagro
Berd/Steps beat Granny/Lopez
Ferrer beats Berd
Sexy Steps defeats Almagro :rocker2:

romismak
11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Every match is open here, just Berdych - Almagro should be point for CZE for sure. I think small favorites are CZE - howewer i think 3-2 will be most likely scenario -

I think Stepanek-Ferrer might be upset, Ferrer is in great form i know but 1st match can be tricky and Stepanek will be fresh can play even 5 sets - on this fast court it shouldn´be marathon like those AO clashes, but i mean Stepanek´s game is tricky, i think he can win a lot of points at the net + his game is not predictable i think Ferrer would prefer someone with clear gameplan - Berdych is much better match-up than Stepanek, but with the court speed Berdyych should be able to hit through Ferrer

Grannolers-Lopez just won WTF, but best of 5 match witch advantage inestead of deciding points and no super-tiebreaks on quick court with ,,clear,, crowd favorites would be totally different match than those in London i still think Berdych-Stepanek are little favorites in doubles. I think Berdych should be able to play 3 matches in 3 days, his stamina is not mentioned much, but he is very fit player, Stepanek if will end up in 5 sets long match vs Ferrer and than doubles will be long should be tired but Almagro, even Lopez are definitely not favorites over him with crowd behind him on quick court.

see you jimmy
11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Everyone in Ireland knows Mark Lenders real love for Ferrer. Ferrer has a restraining order in place since the 09 Tokyo Open.

duong
11-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Everyone in Ireland knows Mark Lenders real love for Ferrer. Ferrer has a restraining order in place since the 09 Tokyo Open.

Is Mark Lenders so famous in Ireland ? :D

see you jimmy
11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
He's up there with Gerry Adams :eek:

Vinceremo
11-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Wow just read F.Lopez' bitching about the captain's decision to play Almagro and it's really pathetic and shows some serious lack of respect. No way in hell he's beating Berdych or having a 'better shot' nowadays, he's well past his best level, which is nothing amazing or close to it btw, and has done absolutely nothing during the year to deserve the call. What a clown, their H2H doesn't mean anything at this stage, Tomas would most likely embarass him at this point in time and considering the circumstances.

Vamos Nico. 10 times the tennis player F.Lopez was, is, or will ever be.

rocketassist
11-15-2012, 08:02 PM
LaLo is a moron. Don't care if his game can be good to watch sometimes- he's a vain pin-up more arsed about looking in the mirror, sorting out his dandruff problem and hanging out with his bf Nadal than winning tennis matches.

August
11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I think it'll be 1-1 after tomorrow, and the next two days have tight matches. Steps/Berd have a good record from DC doubles matches, but Granny/Lopez are currently playing well. In the 4th rubber, I think Berdych is the favourite against Ferrer. Berdych should be able to beat Ferrer even on medium-paced indoor court, and I've understood the court would be fastish. But Ferrer has played so well this year, that also he can win. So this can well go to the 5th set. Fast court would favour Steps but I don't know if it's enough to help him beat Almagro. But home crowd can be a huge advantage for Czechs.

Still, I have a bad feeling that Berdy will win his both singles rubbers but Spain the other rubbers. But I hope Czechs will win and complete the Davis Cup & Fed Cup double. On the other hand, it's be nice if the Spaniards could win DC even without Rafa, especially with Ferrer as the "lead player". I'm afraid of what kind of a reaction Spain's players would get from Spanish media if they lost.

August
11-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Well done Czechs. Davis Cup Final, Spain protest: ´Surface too fast´ (http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Davis-Cup-Final-Spain-protest-Surface-too-fast-articolo7017.html)

And I paid attention to this sentence.

David Ferrer, who won two tournaments on fast indoor courts this year, also spoke of the surface: "It’s the fasteest court of the season, but we go and play it anyway. The Czechs will take advantage of it. I remember the final against Argentina in 2008 at Mar de la Plata, with an entire building against us, but at that time the court was more playable for us”.

Yep, Bercy and Valencia were so lightning-fast. :spit: :facepalm:

Freak3yman84
11-15-2012, 10:22 PM
:o NID that the Mugiards would get butthurt that they'll lose.

rocketassist
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Whiny bitches. DC gives nations hampered by homogenised tour courts a chance to redress the balance.

Last time they complained though when they played USA, the court wasn't even fast, it was slow-ass as usual :spit:

tektonac
11-15-2012, 10:33 PM
a coin toss.

duong
11-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Well done Czechs. Davis Cup Final, Spain protest: ´Surface too fast´ (http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Davis-Cup-Final-Spain-protest-Surface-too-fast-articolo7017.html)

no : well done Spain, they keep on and on making big fuss at complaining at every tie abroad, and the surface here has only been classified as number 4 in the ITF classification, not faster than the US Open.

Now the speed in Davis cup is very limited, and Spaniards played a good role to get that, then well done Spain :yeah:

you will see tomorrow : it will be fast but nothing extraordinary, nothing like in the past of Davis cup.

I'm fed-up with that because there's no limit to slowness on the other side :shrug:

August
11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
no : well done Spain, they keep on and on making big fuss at complaining at every tie abroad, and the surface here has only been classified as number 4 in the ITF classification, not faster than the US Open.

Now the speed in Davis cup is very limited, and Spaniards played a good role to get that, then well done Spain :yeah:

you will see tomorrow : it will be fast but nothing extraordinary, nothing like in the past of Davis cup.

I'm fed-up with that because there's no limit to slowness on the other side :shrug:

Obviously the added sand slows down USO, so you really can't compare it to USO. But in the Fed Cup final the court really didn't look that fast, watch from youtube. But tomorrow will show how fast it's for men.

shotgun
11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
I doubt the court is lightening fast anyway, like the old Minsk ice rink was.

duong
11-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Obviously the added sand slows down USO, so you really can't compare it to USO. But in the Fed Cup final the court really didn't look that fast, watch from youtube. But tomorrow will show how fast it's for men.

actually I read that the USO is ranked at 5 in the ITF category, that is faster than this one (ranked at 4). Maybe adding sand can make the US Open surface slower than its classification, I don't know.

Anyway, as rocketassist said, Spaniards also complained a lot about the court in the USA which was only middle-fast, then I don't believe their whinings at all on that. But I just observe that they have managed to avoid really fast courts since they lost in France in 2010 (and I don't even speak of really fast courts as there were in the past in Davis cup :rolleyes: ). Then so far I say "well done" to them. As for this match we will see tomorrow.

rocketassist
11-15-2012, 11:45 PM
The Czechs have a WMD they can use if they need to.

http://www.overtimeonline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/120628092125-wimbledon-rosol-story-top.jpg

GOATsol
11-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Hopefully the Czech Republic because I fear for Mark Lender's health if they lose. :sad:

Mark Lenders
11-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Lopez is right. Spain should have picked him if the surface is indeed fast, he's a much better player than jokers like Ferrer and Almagro.

spanish_army
11-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Typical stupids discussions about surfaces coming from mugs whose countries have no one player in Top100.

Freak3yman84
11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Typical stupids discussions about surfaces coming from mugs whose countries have no one player in Top100.

Baghdatis. End o' story.

Roy Emerson
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Czech Republic winning the DC would be refreshing.

August
11-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Even though Czechs lead 2-1, I think this is very much 50:50, and I've included the chance of Sexy surprising Almagro. I don't know if Berdych or Ferrer is the favourite in their rubber, maybe Ferrer slightly. Anyway, I think Berdych must clinch the title for Czechs, Radek just isn't sexy enough to beat Almagro, if they play like yesterday.

But if it goes to the 5th rubber, I'd really consider substituting Sexy with Rosol. With Rosol, there might be a chance for winning, with Sexy, I doubt. And Rosol showed in Wimbledon that he has balls of steel, you don't have to be scared of choking.

Pratik
11-18-2012, 06:09 PM
My pick is the Czech.

Ferrer beats Steps
Berdych beats Almagro
Berd/Steps beat Granny/Lopez
Ferrer beats Berd
Sexy Steps defeats Almagro :rocker2:

:worship:

Called it

August
11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
:worship:

Called it

Have you tried tennis betting. If so, bookies must have closed your betting account, you are too expensive a customer.

Pratik
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Have you tried tennis betting. If so, bookies must have closed your betting account, you are too expensive a customer.

Nope.
Although my vBetting history does not agree with that point of view.(But that's probably because I go all in way too often)

shotgun
11-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Ended up happening exactly what Berdych said. They built their win over Almagro.