Is the Davis Cup badly marketed? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is the Davis Cup badly marketed?

Wing Man Frank
09-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm currently watching the Berdych - Berlocq match and the passion and enthusiasm is spine-tingling; yet weirdly for me I've never massively been into the DC. I'm not sure why, but certainly in Britain it doesn't seem to be something that anyone takes any interest in - perhaps because we are so rubbish?

How do the rest of the world view it? It strikes me as strange that you have a team competition combined with the gladiatorial aspect of singles competition (and a doubles match!) that just doesn't seem to capture the world's imagination. Maybe I'm wrong, but you rarely see it given any column inches in our papers or TV time.

Does the fact that more often than not the very top players (I'm thinking of Federer, Murray and Djokovic in particular) tend not to always play have an impact? Or that the matches themselves seem badly scheduled coming straight after big tournaments.

Is there more that should be done? Or am I completely wrong?

_Chaz
09-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm a big fan of Davis Cup and team events in general :shrug: I'm also a big football and basketball fan so I enjoy it when there is a real atmosphere out there on the courts.
And here in Germany it has great importance, on Friday someone said on TV (I think it was Stich, but not sure anymore, could also have been Steeb) said "It is still the national team. And the national team is what gets the most attention in sports, also in tennis."

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Not just Davis Cup, the entire sport is badly marketed.

Or rather, could be marketed better.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 04:39 PM

This.

GOATsol
09-16-2012, 04:43 PM

So how would you market the entire sport better?

Slasher1985
09-16-2012, 04:48 PM
So how would you market the entire sport better?

I for instance would have beautiful women walking around with a sign having the score and the number of the next game written on it during each break.:D

August
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
I think biggest names playing DC would be important. Fans are nationalistic, they want to see their country getting success, and I think they appreciate DC mote than individual MMs. But without biggest stars, DC looks like a 2nd tier competition.

Londinium
09-16-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm currently watching the Berdych - Berlocq match and the passion and enthusiasm is spine-tingling; yet weirdly for me I've never massively been into the DC. I'm not sure why, but certainly in Britain it doesn't seem to be something that anyone takes any interest in - perhaps because we are so rubbish?

It was never really regarded that highly in Britain even when we had Henman and Rusedski playing together in it. That was two top ten guys and it was usually relegated to a slot on BBC2. I just think it doesn't have the cachet of the Slams and it's not going to change any time soon. Then again we did get some awful draws when those two were in their prime as well. You'd have thought we'd have gone much deeper into the tournament than we ever did with them.

Lopez
09-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Tennis isn't closely followed in Finland but Davis Cup is one of the events which is reported about.

tennisfan856
09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
i think if the davis cup was hosted every 2-3 years, it would be a bigger buzz. But right now, the fixtures occur so often that it feels like it gets muddled amongst the 250's.

Kat_YYZ
09-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Does the fact that more often than not the very top players (I'm thinking of Federer, Murray and Djokovic in particular) tend not to always play have an impact? Or that the matches themselves seem badly scheduled coming straight after big tournaments.

Is there more that should be done? Or am I completely wrong?

what do you mean "or"? the first is a result of the second, the bad scheduling and top players skipping it go hand in hand.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 06:02 PM
i think if the davis cup was hosted every 2-3 years, it would be a bigger buzz. But right now, the fixtures occur so often that it feels like it gets muddled amongst the 250's.

It won't happen. The ITF will lose another cash cow.

Marcoo
09-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm not a Davis Cup fan, but I really like watching Italian or Polish players playing as a team, not individually ;)

Looner
09-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Davis Cup is not badly marketed. It is what it is. A team competition in a predominantly individual sport (or at least dominated by individual personalities).

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 06:08 PM
The ones for the most part who don't like Davis Cup are player fans.

iriraz
09-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Also if u are a fan of big matches between top players.Seeing a Federer-Nadal or Nadal-Djokovic match in DC is pretty much impossible.It`s pretty much certain that if those countries meet,that at least one of the top guys won`t play for some reason.
I left Murray out of this group cause GB isn`t a WG team.
There is a lot of passion in DC where u can see great atmosphere but if u are interested in high quality tennis certainly u rarely find it in DC.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Also if u are a fan of big matches between top players.Seeing a Federer-Nadal or Nadal-Djokovic match in DC is pretty much impossible.It`s pretty much certain that if those countries meet,that at least one of the top guys won`t play for some reason.
I left Murray out of this group cause GB isn`t a WG team.
There is a lot of passion in DC where u can see great atmosphere but if u are interested in high quality tennis certainly u rarely find it in DC.

It's not just about the stars and the World Group. It's lazy thinking therefore it goes back to the player fans comment.

It's different and seeing how some players play well above themselves like Hrbaty, Nalbandian, Becker, Weintraub then you see others who can't handle it very well. The test is different since they aren't playing for themselves only.

Looner
09-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Yes because DC interferes in players' schedules without any apparent benefit for them (that is the top guys). I can appreciate when watching but the sacrifice just does not seem to be worth it, more often than not, unfortunately.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Yes, Looner you are a classic player fan and not one of the actual sport yes there are differences.

Looner
09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Yes, Looner you are a classic player fan and not one of the actual sport yes there are differences.

No, I am NOT (I've started following Fed primarily lately because I can't watch enough, so I just cherry pick). I started watching tennis before I was a fan of Fed. I never thought much of DC. I am not sure why you have to be a player fan to NOT be a fan of DC. I watch tennis for the players and not for countries of these players. That's why I can be so passionate about supporting Fed - I like him as a person.

As I said, DC is not as big for me because it is a team event in a individual sport.

Kat_YYZ
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM

:lol: And DC fans are just classic nationalism tards who want to rally around a flag rather than actually caring about the game, playing styles, etc.

If you think 'player fans' have no criteria, where is the "love of the game" from those who are cheering for a guy they know nothing about just because he's the same nationality as they are?

August
09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Davis Cup is not badly marketed. It is what it is. A team competition in a predominantly individual sport (or at least dominated by individual personalities).

I'd say Davis Cup is the tennis event closest to Ryder Cup in golf, both the most important team titles in an individual sport. I don't know which gets more attention, but I have an impression Ryder Cup is bigger for golf than DC for tennis, even if RC with continental team makes it more like an exho. I think there are two reasons for that. DC doesn't always have the big names, RC has. Another thing is that RC has more compact format, it's held over a weekend and in a predermined place, you can make plans about going to RC years ahead whereas you can make plans about going to DC final not before two months ahead.

So, I think DC format is somewhat problematic to get the attention of big crowd. On the other hand, I really prefer DC with home/away ties to some "World Cup of Tennis" in the most-bidding country (Middle East/China) where there would be only corporate people in the stands. Home crowd always gives the buzz.

Kat_YYZ
09-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Ryder Cup popularity could have something to do with the format: the fact that it's always the same two teams and the USA is guaranteed a spot in the final every year. :lol:

Don't get me wrong; I know they have the best players & would probably make it anyways. But in a true DC format, if by some fluke they were eliminated and the 'Ryder Cup final' was S. Korea vs Sweden, do you think it would get as much coverage?

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
They ought to hold Davis Cup at the end of the year.

January 2- Doha, Brisbane, Chennai
January 9- Shanghai 1000
January 16- Sydney/Auckland
January 23- AO
January 30- AO
February 6- Vina Del Mar/Kuala Lumpur/Bangkok
February 13- Beijing/San Jose/Sao Paulo
February 20- Memphis/Tokyo/Buenos Aires
February 27- Dubai/Acapulco/Delray
March 5- Indian Wells
March 12- Miami
March 19- Houston/Casablanca
March 26- Monte Carlo
April 2- Barcelona/Bucharest
April 9- Estoril/Munich/Belgrade
April 16- Madrid
April 23- Rome
April 30- Nice/Dusseldorf
May 7- RG
May 14- RG
May 21- Halle/Newport
May 28- Queen’s 1000
June 4- Rosmalen/Eastbourne
June 11- Wimbledon
June 18- Wimbledon
June 25- Bastad/Stuttgart/Umag
July 2- Hamburg/Atlanta/Gstaad
July 9- Kitzbuhel/LA
July 16- Washington DC
July 23- Toronto
July 30- Cincy
August 6- Winston Salem
August 13- USO
August 20- USO
August 27- Metz/St. Pete/Zagreb
September 3- Montpelier/Marseille/Rotterdam
September 10- Moscow/Stockholm/Vienna
September 17- Valencia/Basel
September 24- Paris 1000
October 1- Week off
October 8- Year End Masters
October 15- Week off
October 22- Davis Cup R16
October 29- Davis Cup QF
November 5- Davis Cup SF
November 12- Davis Cup F

Slasher1985
09-16-2012, 07:21 PM
March 5- Indian Wells
March 12- Miami

It's not an all-bad idea. But are you suggesting to make IW and Miami 64-player draw Masters ? That would reduce their value and more than this, it will never be accepted because there is a lot of income from these very popular events.

LeChuck
09-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I love the Davis Cup. From my point of view, I quite like the current format with home and away ties, football atmospheres and ties spread around the season rather than concentrated within a short period.

Also the competition being held annually is a vital source of revenue for national tennis bodies around the world.

The only suggested format change to the format I have not disagreed with over the years, is the World Group being reduced to 14 teams with the two previous year's finalists getting 1st round byes as a reward. A 16 team world group is still fine with me though.

This existing format is great for me, but not great for casual tennis fans, many of whom probably wouldn't like different rounds of the taking place months apart, and just can't get into the competition.

Also tennis has lost popularity in so many countries since the late 70s-early 80s, and doesn't have too many diehard fans. Many casual tennis fans will probably tune in to the majors but nothing else during the season.

August
09-16-2012, 07:52 PM

October 22- Davis Cup R16
October 29- Davis Cup QF
November 5- Davis Cup SF
November 12- Davis Cup F

If DC would be played in participating countries like now, that could be difficult. Think about having to play R16 in Europe, QF in Australia, SF in USA, and final in Europe. Players would have a terrible jet lag. And if DC were played in one country, I think it should then have more compact schedule (not that I want DC to become single host country event).

selyoink
09-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Davis Cup is a worthless competition. Tennis (doubles aside) is an individual sport. Why should I care about a team competition? And if I hate watching all American players why would I suddenly want to root for them just because they are playing under the flag of my country? Nothing could ever make me root for disgusting players like Fish, Querrey, Blake, Isner and Harrison.

Slasher1985
09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
(not that I want DC to become single host country event).

Neutral country to be chosen for hosting.

Switzerland that is. :haha:

Aphex
09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
DC is the fifth slam, or rather as important as the slams.

rocketassist
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Davis Cup is a worthless competition. Tennis (doubles aside) is an individual sport. Why should I care about a team competition? And if I hate watching all American players why would I suddenly want to root for them just because they are playing under the flag of my country? Nothing could ever make me root for disgusting players like Fish, Querrey, Blake, Isner and Harrison.

It's just different and involves representing nations like the Olympics. Plus you being a big footy fan like me should appreciate a footy atmosphere being brought to tennis :drink:

Not everyone should support their country if they don't want to though.

August
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
And if I hate watching all American players why would I suddenly want to root for them just because they are playing under the flag of my country? Nothing could ever make me root for disgusting players like Fish, Querrey, Blake, Isner and Harrison.

Think about how success in DC can make good for tennis in your country. Ofc USA is a big tennis country already now, DC doesn't affect so much. But I always support Finland in DC. If Finland somehow got into World Group while Fed is still playing, and there were a Finland v. Switzerland tie, I'd support Finland all the way no matter how small Finland's chances to win DC would be, even though I'd like Roger to win DC. That's a very unrealistic example but an example still. DC success can make good to a country's tennis, and that's why I think people should hape their home country do well in DC.

Action Jackson
09-17-2012, 07:14 AM

Not at all, that is a joke. Having it at one neutral venue takes away one of the best aspects of Davis Cup times of trying to win ties away from home in tougher conditions like Argentina and Spain for example.

So you want to go to clay, indoor hard, then carpet for example and also changing continents to play the winners to avoid that then a neutral venue. That is not happening.

selyoink, just cause you don't like the US side doesn't mean you have to cheer for them in the DC.

bjurra
09-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Davis Cup is extremely popular in many countries so it is either well marketed or a self marketing product. The Netherlands for example can have the worst team on the planet (except for Sweden) and they still sell out.

I would say Russia, Sweden (back when we still had a functional team) and UK are three of few countries where the DC is a little underappreciated.