Davis Cup WG Playoff: Stebe def. Hewitt 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 (Germany wins 3-2) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup WG Playoff: Stebe def. Hewitt 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 (Germany wins 3-2)

Hewitt =Legend
09-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Absolutely heartbreaking for Lleyton. Not sure if there was anything wrong with him but this was one of the worst matches I've ever seen him play. An abundance of unforced errors combined with a complete lack of energy and intensity. I guess we'll find out in the coming days...

Australia and Hewitt lose in the deciding 5th rubber for the second year in a row. Back to Asian zonal ties for another year again...

Credit to Stebe though, he played well and held his nerves together in the vital moments. Seems like a nice kid as well...

I'm shattered...

Juz78
09-16-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm lost for words... :(

_Chaz
09-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Yes man :woohoo:
Hewitt was shit but Stebe played a very good match and didn't choke in the end! We stay in the WG and I didn't expect this to be honest!

n8
09-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with everything in OP. :bigcry:

misty1
09-16-2012, 01:48 PM
well done. I didnt give them much of a chance to win this , not sure how many people did

The Prince
09-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Cedrik is overwhelmed, it's so cute. :hearts:

StevoTG
09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Wouldn't be a surprise to hear a dreaded announcement from Lleyton after this. He has never played this poorly in a big match before that I can recall. To say he was a shadow of his former self would be kind.

Well done to Stebe though, recovered from an atrocious start to win comfortably and kept his nerves. Well deserved win for him and it's great that he could step up to the plate in the absence of Haas and Kohli.

STUHL
This could be the kickstart for cedrik. Great Job my Boy. Saving German Tennis and Patrik kühnen. :worship:

Ash86
What are the chances of Hewitt retiring at the Aus Open? Not sure what his motivation for sticking around would be... He's just declined too much - might have a flash or two of brilliance at times but he's basically done. If I were him I'd do an Andy Roddick at the Aus Open - I'm sure he was hanging around till the Olympics and that made sense - time to take it easy Rusty. :hug:

Hewitt can't be blamed for this loss - he hasn't won on clay since RG 2010 - it's Tomic who should have done better against Mayer. He's young, higher ranked and should be motivated. With Tomic's attitude who knows when Australia will make it back into the World Group. Shame for a country with such a proud Davis Cup tradition.

Puschkin
:woohoo: Well done, team Germany. Was something wrong with Hewitt? He was :help:

Sanya
Lleyton was *3-0 in 1 set.
Noone can blame Hewitt though. DC legend, his hands still know what to do, but body in general fails. Always hard to see these kind of perfomances. :sad:

Freak3yman84
09-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Lleyton... :sad: :sobbing:

Audacity
09-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I said in the OZ Forum Davis Cup thread that I could see Germany winning this. Stebe pushed Lleyton hard at the AO, so it doesn't surprise me one bit that he could beat him on clay.

Not sure if Rusty's body can take it anymore.

tripwires
09-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Andrey. :hug: :hug: :hug: :sad:

StevoTG
Lleyton was *3-0 in 1 set.
Noone can blame Hewitt though. DC legend, his hands still know what to do, but body in general fails. Always hard to see these kind of perfomances. :sad:

True, this was heartbreaking to watch. I can only imagine how it felt for him.

Audacity
Wouldn't be a surprise to hear a dreaded announcement from Lleyton after this. He has never played this poorly in a big match before that I can recall. To say he was a shadow of his former self would be kind.

Well done to Stebe though, recovered from an atrocious start to win comfortably and kept his nerves. Well deserved win for him and it's great that he could step up to the plate in the absence of Haas and Kohli.

Was thinking the same. Hopefully he has one more AO left in him.

Wing Man Frank
09-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Can only pray Hewitt retires soon. Don't want to see that rat bastard's face anymore.

TennisOnWood
09-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Its time Leyton

TennisDesire
09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Very surprising to see Hewitt showing such a display and wasting two breaks lead in the first set in a match like this as he usually shows his best in Davis Cup.

Sombrerero loco
09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
tomic :facepalm:
next year maybe ebden will play instead of lleyton...

Yappa
09-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Sad for Hewitt, but this means a lot for the only promising young player we have right now.
When I heard that Petzschner wouldn't be able to play, this was basically over for me, but Stebe proved me wrong.
Also very important for my hometown Hamburg. Guess we probably now won't have to wait another 10+ years for the next DC tie. The crowd was doing a pretty good job cheering for the home team.

Hewitt =Legend
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM

I echo your thoughts here mate. I'm just thinking would it be worth it to have all that work done on his foot and toe just to play this year out if he was planning retirement initially. I guess we'll find out soon but he will definitely play at least one more AO, that's for certain...

Andrey. :hug: :hug: :hug: :sad:

Cheers bro :sad: ;)

Can only pray Hewitt retires soon. Don't want to see that rat bastard's face anymore.

Quality post mate

Auscon
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Not sure what I just watched but I know I didn't like it.

Probably one of the worst matches I've seen from Lleyton...that'll hurt him as much as any other. Definitely didnt look himself out there. Credit to Stebe for staying solid and getting the job done, great highlight of a young career.

Channel now changed and watching Misery. How apt.

finishingmove
09-16-2012, 02:11 PM
wow i thought hewitt had this...

Cereal Killer
09-16-2012, 02:15 PM
I feel sorry for Lleyton, but yay for us!! :cheerleader:

kiriri***
09-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Hewitt was UE machine.
Stebe played good.

BroTree123
09-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Spewitt mate, it's time to move on with life :o

rocketassist
09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Poor Lleyton. His body's gone. Think there'll be an announcement soon about an Aus Open farewell. Doesn't Bec wanna settle down with the family back home as well.

I feel sorry for Lleyton, but yay for us!! :cheerleader:

Yay for us as in who?

Cereal Killer
09-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Yay for us as in Germany/DTB. ;) Well, kind of anyway. (I'm half German)

Orange Wombat
09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm glad Germany pulled it off! A team of their caliber does not belong in Group 1 (the same could be said for Australia, though). This win was a surprise.

JMG
09-16-2012, 07:02 PM
A really nice team to watch would be:
Mayer
Kohlschreiber
Haas/Petzschner

I'm afraid after this nice looking result, Kühnen is going to nominate Stebe again. :o

Kolya
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Don't need Kohli :D

The Prince
09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Kühnen has no choice but to nominate Stebe again.

_Chaz
09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Kühnen has no choice but to nominate Stebe again.

Yeah and he will I'm sure.
In February the team will be Mayer, Kohlschreiber, Petzschner and Stebe. Mark my words :D ;)

The Prince
09-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Both Mayer and Kohli will be 29 by the time February comes around. I'm not suggesting that they will be 'past-it' by then or that they shouldn't play, but Germany should have one eye on long term replacements.

_Chaz
09-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Both Mayer and Kohli will be 29 by the time February comes around. I'm not suggesting that they will be 'past-it' by then or that they shouldn't play, but Germany should have one eye on long term replacements.

29 is not really that old in this era. And there are simply no young long term replacements. All we would have would be guys like Berrer or Phau who are even older :D

Sommarsverige
09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Sad for Hewitt, but this means a lot for the only promising young player we have right now.
When I heard that Petzschner wouldn't be able to play, this was basically over for me, but Stebe proved me wrong.
Also very important for my hometown Hamburg. Guess we probably now won't have to wait another 10+ years for the next DC tie. The crowd was doing a pretty good job cheering for the home team.

I totally agree! I was there all 3 days and it really was an amazing atmosphere and the crowd really pushed the players!
I also heard lots of positve voices from officials and really hope and think it won´t take another 14 years until there will be another DC tie in Hamburg!

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rusty Spoon :sad:

Chase Visa
09-16-2012, 09:04 PM
What happened here, Lleyton? :facepalm:

Dmitry Verdasco
09-16-2012, 09:50 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1xn5sXGx61r5xk72.gif

Topspindoctor
09-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Hewitt should have retired at least 5 years ago, he is making a clown out of himself time and time again, it's pathetic... I used to enjoy this loud mouthed bogan being put in his place, but it has been happening so frequently over the last few years that even the joy I used to get out of his defeats is no longer there, I guess he'll stick around like a bad odour knowing that the organizers will give him a WC into AO every time :zzz:

motorhead
09-17-2012, 01:34 AM
what was Petzchner problem by the way? he's scheduled to play Berankis in St.Pete

Asadinator
09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Hewitt can't be blamed for this loss - he hasn't won on clay since RG 2010 - it's Tomic who should have done better against Mayer. He's young, higher ranked and should be motivated. With Tomic's attitude who knows when Australia will make it back into the World Group. Shame for a country with such a proud Davis Cup tradition.

Bull shit. Hewitt has lost to Wawrinka and Stebe last 2 years in decider. Tomic beaten both. It's Hewitt's fault.

Slade
09-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Lleyton Hewitt. Mugger :o

I was keeping track of this match until Hewitt choked a double break lead in set 1. It was too painful after that.

Dmitry Verdasco
09-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Bull shit. Hewitt has lost to Wawrinka and Stebe last 2 years in decider. Tomic beaten both. It's Hewitt's fault.

100% correct.

The fact Hewitt has only played 1 clay event probably says, if anything, that maybe he shouldn't have played this tie at all :shrug:

iriraz
09-17-2012, 10:35 AM
If there is anyone to fault for this result is the coaches and the captain.At this stage of his career,letting Hewitt play 3 days in a row,best of 5 set matches is ridiculous.
Why not let him rest first day then play doubles and decider if it comes to that?
Same mistake as last year.He lost to Federer,then won the doubles but ran out of gas against Wawrinka late in the match.