DC Playoff: Weintraub def. Soeda 6-3 7-6(5) 4-6 6-3; ISR def JPN 3-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

DC Playoff: Weintraub def. Soeda 6-3 7-6(5) 4-6 6-3; ISR def JPN 3-2

Mercury
09-16-2012, 02:12 PM
What a weekend by Weintraub! Defeated Ito on Friday and Soeda today! He has so much soul when he plays for his country (and having Andy Ram on the sidelines never hurts, he's like the energy master ;)).

Ram/Erlich's win yesterday was also crazy with Ram getting injured in the 2nd set and then he was barely able to move the rest of the match.

I can't believe were back in the WG without Sela winning even 1 game! Soooooooo much respect for Weintraub. HERO!

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Great weekend for Weintraub, the man was slapping backhand winners for fun. Down the line or crosscourt it doesn't matter. It's fun to see a guy raising his level for Davis Cup.

Not sure if Amir was cramping at the end of the 3rd before the rain came. Saving all those break points in the opening service game was huge in the context of the match.

Soeda using sneaky tactics getting a medical timeout at deuce after he saved 2nd match point.

_Chaz
09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
:woohoo: Congrats to Israel! First time I've seen Weintraub. He has a very nice game, good single handed BH!
And luckily no Japan in the WG, they were a waste anyway. Will be way more interesting with Israel.

acionescu
09-16-2012, 02:15 PM
:worship: :worship:

Nothing like a DC 5th rubber win :inlove:

Mercury
09-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Soeda using sneaky tactics getting a medical timeout at deuce after he saved 2nd match point.

Was that legal BTW? I don't think you can do that in an ATP match but I guess maybe DC is different?

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Was that legal BTW? I don't think you can do that in an ATP match but I guess maybe DC is different?

Well it was a dick move and he is still limping. Yes, it's within the rules.

Federer in 2
09-16-2012, 02:19 PM
:)

UnderhandSmash
09-16-2012, 02:20 PM
BTW, today is Weintraub's 26th birthday. Exactly one year ago, on his birthday, he beat Raonic in 4 sets (in the Davis cup).

I think what he should learn from that is to eat a birthday cake before every match, and hell be in the GOAT discussion.

Action Jackson
09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Happy Birthday Amir.

Johnny Groove
09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Great stuff, what Davis Cup is all about.

Wing Man Frank
09-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Farcical to think Soeda is ranked 53rd. Hoovering up piss-poor challengers in Asia in order to get an inflated ranking is really becoming an issue.

Ito's ranked 67th ffs.

Or Levy
09-16-2012, 02:23 PM
His level was incredible. Top 50, easily. He was a joy to watch.

Now, world group. Praying for a tasty match at home. Hopefully, Spain.

m9m9m9m9m9
09-16-2012, 02:26 PM
What a heroic effort from Weintraub. Always rise a level when playing for his country. Should he translate this to tour, he should be a top 100 player

The Prince
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Great for the game when this weasel Soeda loses, especially to a great guy like Amir. :D

willoughby
09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Congrats to Amir and Israel. They really deserved to win.

Soeda wasting 7 bps in the first game of the fourth set :facepalm: that was awful.

n8
09-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I was hoping for better from Soeda with home court advantage. I'm looking forward to see what he can do this Asian swing.

Satasonic
09-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow, great win for Weintraub!

As Ive said in a different thread before, his major strength is his serve. For a guy who is about 185cm's tall, he really does have all the needed serve types to be a truly great player- Flat, kick, underspin, a great kick second serve. I seriously dont understand why he cant be a top 100 player. Maybe the mentality? I dont know.

His shot selection is really his weakness imo, followed by his forehand, although the forehand is enough to move lower ranked players around. Overall, a great davis cup showing!

Also, Sela is terrible. Just saying, losing to Nishikori is one thing, but losing to the other Japanese has been? Unacceptable if you ask me...

Dead Net Cord
09-16-2012, 02:38 PM
LOL @ Soeda's problems with tossing a ball properly when being break points down in the first two sets. He couldn't deal with the pressure I reckon. Then the rain helped Israel a bit as Soeda was the better player from the beginning of the 3rd set until the rain.

Voo de Mar
09-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Wow! This Weintraub has very nice game, a reminiscence of Guga Kuerten. Amazingly this guy has never played an ATP tournament, actually he's been nobody even in Grand Slam qualifying tournaments. Now it's easier to understand why he defeated Raonic in Davis Cup last year .

Archer16
09-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Great win and amazing weekend for Amir :worship:
It's hard to understand how he's barely top 200 when you see him in Davis.

He played superbly until 6-3 4-3*, with Soeda 0/8 on BP at that point, then gifted him his first break with back-to-back DF at deuce (had only 1 until that game in which he made 3), served and broke to love for 6-5 and played a crappy service game to throw the break again. Getting it together in the TB (which had its shard of mini-break as well) after all that showed great poise.
Yes he was cramping a bit before the rain delay; for once we deserve to get one when we need it.
He saved no less than 7 BP at the opening game of the 4th, including one right after resuming, and as Action Jackson said you cannot overstate how important that was.
To be fair it looked like Eyal Ran was putting ice on his thigh at BP in the middle of that 4th set opening game, before the decision to suspend the match was made.
Also, Sela is terrible. Just saying, losing to Nishikori is one thing, but losing to the other Japanese has been? Unacceptable if you ask me...
He's done more than enough in his DC career to be forgiven for one or two bad matches (in this case, away against a player ranked significantly higher).
The fact the Weintraub scored an upset win over Soeda doesn't mean Sela losing to him is unimaginable. He's not #500 or something.

Sombrerero loco
09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
:facepalm: no words

finishingmove
09-16-2012, 03:08 PM
bad result

weintraub obviously carried his team and props to him for that, but this sucks

Sombrerero loco
09-16-2012, 03:16 PM
its amir´s birthday today, he turns 25 today so credit to him

Dudisela75
09-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Incredible performance from Amir! He led his team to a huge win.

Good luck to him for the rest of the season

Blue Heart24
09-16-2012, 04:59 PM
:woohoo: Congrats to Israel! First time I've seen Weintraub. He has a very nice game, good single handed BH!
And luckily no Japan in the WG, they were a waste anyway. Will be way more interesting with Israel.

Actually it won't,Israel is even weaker than Japan,but I'm glad Weintraub took this ;)

_Chaz
09-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Actually it won't,Israel is even weaker than Japan,but I'm glad Weintraub took this ;)

No. At home with their crowd they're certainly not easy to play. The doubles is almost a lock for them and if Sela or Weintraub can play out of their mind, which is certainly possible in DC at home, then it can get dificult. For sure more difficult than to play Ito or Soeda (Nishikori is very injury prone) and they don't have a good doubles team.
Israel didn't reach the semis in 2009 for free :shrug:

UnderhandSmash
09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
No. At home with their crowd they're certainly not easy to play. The doubles is almost a lock for them and if Sela or Weintraub can play out of their mind, which is certainly possible in DC at home, then it can get dificult. For sure more difficult than to play Ito or Soeda (Nishikori is very injury prone) and they don't have a good doubles team.

Andy is 32, Yoni is 35, they are not what thy used to be. Theyve not been past the second round in a grand slam since 2010. When compared to the other doubles teams in the DC they look pretty great, but its not almost a lock. Sela was at his peak in 2009. He can elevate his level at the DC, but dont expect it to be anything like 2009.

If Weintraub plays like he did against Japan, and if the rest of the team play out of their minds in front of a very loud Israeli crowd, it can get interesting.

Blue Heart24
09-16-2012, 05:36 PM

You forgot one detail,Sela isn't the player he used to be.The crowd is their advantage,agree with that.

Kat_YYZ
09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
sad for Japan, guess it was expected with Nishi unable to compete fully. Happy for Amir, though. :)

Corey Feldman
09-16-2012, 07:43 PM
well least we know Spain's 1st round opponents next year

Or Levy
09-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Can any Japanese explain why the stadium was 2/3 empty? I thought Nishikori was a big name in Japan. I mean, I expected the crowd to be unfailingly polite (which they were), but I expected a lot more people.

Chase Visa
09-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Israel, wow. Major upset, and it wasn't even at home!

Orka_n
09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Amir :bowdown:

Proton
09-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Can any Japanese explain why the stadium was 2/3 empty? I thought Nishikori was a big name in Japan. I mean, I expected the crowd to be unfailingly polite (which they were), but I expected a lot more people.

He's known by general public better than a year ago for sure, but not as well known as some of soccer/baseball players. In fact, I'm pretty certain that the Davis cup tie being held in Japan is very little known by general public there.

finishingmove
09-17-2012, 04:57 AM

Rain could have been a factor as well.

Or Levy
09-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Rain could have been a factor as well.

It was like that throughout the tie, and there was no rain on Friday and Saturday.