Does anyone consider Fed-Berdych a rivalry? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does anyone consider Fed-Berdych a rivalry?

mikeqq
09-16-2012, 08:02 AM
This guy Berdych has done so much damage to Federer I think it's more significant than the Fed-Murray Rivalry.

The Federer-Nadal rivalry is obvious. The Federer Djokovic rivalry is also always talked about, even though it's less significant, and Federer no longer needs to prove he's better than Djokovic.

I don't know if I would consider Federer-Murray a rivalry. Murray has done no damage to Federer in Slams. The Olympic Gold is just not as big.

But Berdych took out Fed on 2 big occasions that really mattered to Fed. 2010 Wimbledon QF and 2012 US Open QF.

So why is Berdych not talked about so much? Probably because he hasn't been as consistent as Djokovic or Murray when facing other players?

viruzzz
09-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Me. I like it, great offensive tennis.

I think Fed played a Federror match in USO, and he really should have taken it.

I also think Berdych won when Federer most wanted to win in recent years (Wimbledon 2010), and, as ironic as it sounds, Fed won when Berdych most wanted to win (Madrid 2012).

So I think this rivalry will give us so many great matches.

n8
09-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Some 1st tier v 2nd tier rivalries are very interesting.

Some examples are Berdych-Federer, Soderling-Nadal and Djokovic-Tsonga.

Black Adam
09-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Also Berdych took Feds out at Athens 2004.

venky91
09-16-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't think there is any storyline to it. I think the rivalry is just about tennis and that's it. Doesn't seem like there is any bad blood. But I could be wrong.

Allez
09-16-2012, 09:36 AM
It's a 2nd tier rivalry as someone else has already mentioned...and will remain so until birdshit aspires to more than just blowing Retirer off the court at every given opportunity :rolleyes:

It is said the when the draw of each tournament comes out, Berdych checks to see which half Fed's on. If Fed's on the opposite half of the draw, the Berd pretty much tanks the whole tournament...only winning matches against talentless mugs who have no idea of how to take advantage of his emotional slump :)

However to be fair, given the atrocious conditions in NY it would have been hard for perfeterer indorerer to beat both Murray and Nole back to back. Otherwordly concentration levels needed for serverer to pull that off. So the bird probably did him a favour saving him from the prospect of two huge loses to Murray back to back...

BackhandDTL
09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
In its current state, yes, because it genuinely feels like their matches could go either way these days.

GSMnadal
09-16-2012, 11:29 AM
It's not a rivalry, if Berdych shows up, he takes care of the Old man.

Sanya
09-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Yes. Both beated one another in different important occasions. Fed leads comfortably here, but, well, Rafa has huge lead against Rogie too, but Fedal is still a rivalry.

Looner
09-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Yes, it is definitely a proper rivalry. Berdych beat Roger in Athens and also took him out in the QF in Wimbledon for the first time in eons. It seems it's going to be getting closer and closer the more they play.

Are you ever going to stop with you Nadaltardisms?

mikeqq
09-16-2012, 12:06 PM
In the Fed-Murray rivalry Fed has always prevailed on the biggest occasions, hence even though their head to head is even, I think it's a very lopsided rivalry. It's fairly clear that Murray is weaker in the mental department on those big occasions.

Prior to 2009 Federer did not have too much trouble beating Djokovic, in particular the 3x USO matches from 2007-2009. Later on as Fed gets older, Djokovic seems to have gotten the better of Fed (with a whole lot of luck as we all know). Each time however, Federer was able to gain a good measure of revenge, namely in the 2011 French Open, and 2012 Wimbledon.

The trouble with Berdych is he's gotten the better of Fed almost every time since Wimbledon 2010. But sadly for Berdych, he isn't able to produce that level of tennis consistently, hence even if Federer wants revenge, Berdych might not make it that far for Fed to do so.

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah. Murray - Fed is pretty one sided in Feds favour.

Look at the last time they met. Fed schooled that pusher in a Bo5 final.

Oh.....wait.....Murray destroyed Federer in a way not seen on grass since the year 2000.

Certinfy
09-16-2012, 12:18 PM
My favourite rivalry in tennis by a long way. H2H might be 11-5 to Federer but if you take away Berdych's chokes the last few years it could easily be 8-8.

Moozza
09-16-2012, 12:21 PM
The last time Murray played Federer in a big match Andy thrashed him.

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 12:22 PM
My favourite rivalry in tennis by a long way. H2H might be 11-5 to Federer but if you take away Berdych's chokes the last few years it could easily be 8-8.

Yeah. I like Fed v Roddick h2h. If roddick hadn't played fed 17 times the rivalry could easily be 2-1

Certinfy
09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah. I like Fed v Roddick h2h. If roddick hadn't played fed 17 times the rivalry could easily be 2-1
That's completely different.
Australian Open 2009 - Berdych literally collapsed from 2 sets up.
Toronto 2010 - Berdych couldn't find first serves to save his life when serving for the match.
Madrid 2012 - Choking in this was unreal, no need to even go into detail.

Fact is the last few years the matches are in Berdych's hands, whether he wins is up to him. It's a great matchup for him.

Trollin Stone
09-16-2012, 12:30 PM
^OTOH Fed had MP in Miami......

Certinfy
09-16-2012, 12:32 PM
^OTOH Fed had MP in Miami......
Yeah but 1 match in a contrast to 3 from Tomas these last few years. If anything Berdych should have closed that out without a TB but got tight and nearly lost it before the TB.

On another note is Berdych the only player to have beaten Federer 5 times after Federer had won his first Grand Slam and not have one of his own?

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Murray.

Sanya
09-16-2012, 12:37 PM
You can say the same about some other Fedrych matches - Fed had *0-40 on Bedrych serve in that Wimbledon match, could easily took it to 5th and who knows what next. Cincy-11 - Berdych had problems with shoulder, losing tie would have meant for him to lose match for sure.

Let it be 11-5 and dot, really.

Trollin Stone
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
On another note is Berdych the only player to have beaten Federer 5 times after Federer had won his first Grand Slam and not have one of his own?

Yes, he is; Nalby is close though with 4 wins; the third one is Tsonga with 3 wins

GSMnadal
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
If only Federer took all his BP's and saved all of Nadal's at Roland Garros in 2008, he would've won the title that year already :awww:

Certinfy
09-16-2012, 12:40 PM
You can say the same about some other Fedrych matches - Fed had *0-40 on Bedrych serve in that Wimbledon match, could easily took it to 5th and who knows what next. Cincy-11 - Berdych had problems with shoulder, losing tie would have meant for him to lose match for sure.

Let it be 11-5 and dot, really.
0-40 because of a FH in the bottom of the net and 2 consecutive double faults. Saved by 2 huge forehands and the best volley Berdych has ever hit too. :shrug:

But yeah lets leave it at 11-5 but the matches are definitely in Tomas' hands more than Roger's now, that's for sure.

Certinfy
09-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Yes, he is; Nalby is close though with 4 wins
Shit, what a mug this Berdych.
If only Federer took all his BP's and saved all of Nadal's at Roland Garros in 2008, he would've won the title that year already :awww:
:haha: :worship:

Sanya
09-16-2012, 12:45 PM
But yeah lets leave it at 11-5 but the matches are definitely in Tomas' hands more than Roger's now, that's for sure.

Outdoor hard and grass - agree more or less. I`m not sure about clay though, but indoor Fed still will dictate play in this match-up. Tomas is excellent player in fast conditions, but still level behind Fed.

IOFH
09-16-2012, 01:08 PM
:haha: :worship:

Wasn't she making fun of you?

Certinfy
09-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Don't know and don't care, just found it funny. :lol:

finishingmove
09-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Rivalry, bad matchup, bad visibility, back problems, mononucleosis - who cares? :lol:

I prefer to call it "The Federer-Berdych Trolling Scenario".

IOFH
09-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't know and don't care, just found it funny. :lol:

Good that you're able to laugh at yourselves. The world needs more people like that. :yeah:

GSMnadal
09-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Do you know something I don't? :unsure:

Cereal Killer
09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Do you know something I don't? :unsure:

Would probably make more sense, considering your level of fan-girling.

IOFH
09-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Would probably make more sense, considering your level of fan-girling.

This. Only an educated guess, don't feel too bad.

GOAT = Fed
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Oh.....wait.....Murray destroyed Federer in a way not seen on grass since the year 2000.

lol, calm down mate, it was only one match.

GOATsol
09-16-2012, 04:58 PM
:lol:

alter ego
09-16-2012, 05:00 PM
No, Fed should stop clowning around and routine Birdshit like he did with ballbashers all his career.

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
lol, calm down mate, it was only one match.

:D

Allez
09-16-2012, 07:27 PM

:lol:

Pirata.
09-16-2012, 10:22 PM

:haha:

Mark Lenders
09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Not exactly a rivalry, but Berdych has been a thorn on Federer's side quite a few times during the years, with two Slams and one Olympic win over him.

TigerTim
09-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Not exactly a rivalry, but Berdych has been a thorn on Federer's side quite a few times during the years, with two Slams and one Olympic win over him.

It's more similar to the Murray - Nadal "rivalry" imo than any others

Mark Lenders
09-16-2012, 10:41 PM

In recent times, it sure isn't. Berdych won his last two Slam matches against Federer in 4 sets, while Nadal beat Murray across all Slams last year.

But yeah, overall it's probably the most similar 'rivalry'.

Topspindoctor
09-17-2012, 01:16 AM
The only rivalry Berdshit wins here is the "Beat Noserer in a slam, then bend down to Mandy in the next round"

Cereal Killer
09-17-2012, 01:19 AM

It's not the same at all. Andy lives to worship Rafa while Tomas lives to humiliate Roger. It's really quite different. ;)

JediFed
09-17-2012, 01:21 AM

Very true. Just like Rosol/Nadal isn't a rivalry either.

GOAT = Fed
09-17-2012, 01:28 AM
The only rivalry Berdshit wins here is the "Beat Noserer in a slam, then bend down to Mandy in the next round"

Berdych leads H2H with Murray 4-3.

Please explain how he bends 'down' to Murray?

Topspindoctor
09-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Berdych leads H2H with Murray 4-3.

Please explain how he bends 'down' to Murray?

Explain how he didn't. Berdshit should have had whatever prize money he had earned from the tournament taken away for that 4th set tie break.

Londinium
09-17-2012, 01:33 AM
The last time Murray played Federer in a big match Andy thrashed him.

Yeah a couple days after Federer played the longest match in Olympic history, it's not really a surprise. Roger is old for a tennis player, just ground out a colossal match, while the younger Murray had a relatively easy win over Djokovic. The real evidence was at the Wimbledon final not the Olympic final.

GOAT = Fed
09-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Explain how he didn't. Berdshit should have had whatever prize money he had earned from the tournament taken away for that 4th set tie break.

Yeah I agree he chocked that 4th set tie break, but you can't just use one match as the basis for saying that Berdych will always bend down to Murray.

Topspindoctor
09-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Yeah I agree he chocked that 4th set tie break, but you can't just use one match as the basis for saying that Berdych will always bend down to Murray.

I am sure. But tell me this. In later stages of a non clay slam, who would you bet to win 8/10 of the time. Mandy or Berdshit?

GOAT = Fed
09-17-2012, 01:45 AM
I am sure. But tell me this. In later stages of a non clay slam, who would you bet to win 8/10 of the time. Mandy or Berdshit?

Depends on their form going into the tournament to be honest.

If Berdych is in the zone, he would more than likely beat Murray.

In fact he probably would have if it weren't for the blasted win during the Semi final :mad: