16 y.o. Gianluigi Quinzi gets his first Futures Semifinal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

16 y.o. Gianluigi Quinzi gets his first Futures Semifinal

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 10:58 AM
This week, Manzanillo.

Ranked n.4 among juniors (n.1 next year, youngest player highest ranked), Gianluigi got his first Futures semifinal after his convincing win against 17 y.o. Nishioka, ranked near Top 850. Nishioka had defeated Quinzi at this year's Us Open, and GQ got his revenge.
To be fair, Quinzi had already played two matches and was taken by cramps in the third set.

http://www.tennisworlditalia.com/Editor/Img/Gianluigi-Quinzi-foto-Francesco-Panunzio-img8811.jpg

Great stuff :worship:

willoughby
09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Hian keeps overhyping this kid :yeah:

Being Italian, he'll be lucky to crack the top-30 at some stage of his career. He should be more than happy if he has a Seppi-like career.

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Hian keeps overhyping this kid :yeah:

Being Italian, he'll be lucky to crack the top-30 at some stage of his career. He should be more than happy if he has a Seppi-like career.

Overhyping? Not many juniors, at such a young age, can get these results.
It's obvious you are here just to troll, bashing a player just because I like him. That says a lot about how much I have to care about you.

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 11:18 AM
And lol, being Italian :facepalm: Get your racist thoughts out of there please.

TigerTim
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
urgh, he bites the trophey as well????

TennisOnWood
Thanasi Kokkinakis made this before him

TennisOnWood

He likes Rafa ;)

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 11:22 AM
^ And so? :shrug: This makes Quinzi's achievement less important?
And Kokkinakis has played so many tournaments among pros tbh.

TennisOnWood
09-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Just saying.. of course this is great result, not many players born year earlier done this

Ash86
09-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Go Quinzi!! :cheerleader:

My favourite youngster - lefty with heart and a good claycourt future apparently. ;)

TigerTim
09-15-2012, 11:26 AM
we certainly need a new clay court goat.

world atlas
09-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Future Roland Garros champion
I wish ...

TigerTim
09-15-2012, 11:28 AM
taking after that Italian fellow who beat Borg twice and won RG

Ash86
09-15-2012, 11:33 AM
To me something in his favour is that he is much more physically developed than many of his peers -another Nadal similarity really in that though he's 16 he doesn't look like a total kid next to the pros and given how importantly physicality is in the game these days this will serve him well. From the US Open:

pf9B7BFkR8c

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/304515_487546451258274_260326915_n.jpg

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I think the comparison with Nadal is a bit too forced. Quinzi prefers hard, Nadal prefers clay. And GQ is much more aggressive with his shots than Rafa. Plus, he definitely needs to work on his movement.

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Interesting stat. At his age, just Nadal was ranked MUCH HIGHER. He is in trend with Roger, Nole and Andy. Tipsy, Simon and the others were merely ranked at his age.

I am not saying he will be better than them. He could easily lose himself on a few years.
Still, interesting stat.

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
He's clearly a future star, and that's awesome... But let it be known, he's not the only one.;)

Ash86
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I think the comparison with Nadal is a bit too forced. Quinzi prefers hard, Nadal prefers clay. And GQ is much more aggressive with his shots than Rafa. Plus, he definitely needs to work on his movement.

Oh I agree - Quinzi is more aggressive. That said Nadal when he was 16 said in an interview that he preferred grass and hard to clay so who knows. ;) Think his game always suited clay more and he ended up doing amazingly on it but he didn't necessarily prefer it - now he probably does as he is so much more comfortable on it - but at Quinzi's age he did not express a preference for clay.

And yes, Nadal is too high a standard age wise anyway - to be at the same progression as Murray, Djokovic, Federer etc. is darn impressive. I like his attitude, from interviews I've seen and read, and the fact that unlike so many other juniors his sole focus hasn't appeared to be the junior slams and junior tournaments. He's played them, sure, but I like that he's working on the Futures etc. and hopefully in a year or so might make real inroads in Challengers. No point dominating in juniors given the jump to pros is so high - better to play with the better players early and try to raise your level.

He certainly shows the potential to be a good top 50 player - beyond that no one can predict but I have a good feeling, especially with the dirth of talent right now.

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Exactly :yeah: No one is saying he will become a champion, but hopes are high for him.
About juniors, I have the feeling he's gonna quite them except for slams. He will be n.1 ranked in the world still at 16 in a few months, and that is a great achievement. He has been very unlucky with slams this year (organizers at Us Open made him play 3 matches in a single day, how can you expect this from a 16 years-old boy?).
With this win he should be ranked high enough to enter directly in many futures, that is great. That's not his first win among seniors (he already, at 15, had win some matches last year).
Many things need to be improved, but it is normal, he is still so young :yeah: He might even get a hard loss tonight, but I don't really care honestly :shrug: Step by step.

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Yoshihito Nishioka
Thanasi Kokkinakis
Patrick Ciorcila
Gianluigi Quinzi

The 4 "amazings" of this young generation. All 4 have reached semifinals of Futures tournaments. Nishioka has reached a final at the age of 16, but is the oldest one of them. Ciorcila is the youngest one of them, and has reached the semifinals of a Futures at the age of 15.

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Don't forget Borna Coric, he will become good in the future.

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Don't forget Borna Coric, he will become good in the future.

I don't doubt it, I was only mentioning the players that have made it into a Futures semifinal.

Now that you mention it though, there is also the 14-year old ranked Stefan Kozlov. And of course Quentin Halys and Alexander Zverev.:)

Quinzi is playing Manzanillo next week as well.

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Great choice for him :yeah: I hope for a decent draw.
I don't know Kozlov.. I mean, his results are very good, but being 14 you can't be THAT skilled. I am watching some of his videos on YT and his game makes him a simple pusher, which can be good at a certain level, but he needs to attack more. Power will come with age and work, but style? And it's a pity, because being double-handed with both Fh and BH gives him a great advantage. He could become, to make a stupid example, a better version of an aggressive player like Bartoli.
Zverev seems already focused and complete, in the limits of possible.
Never heard of Halys :shrug:

EddieNero
09-15-2012, 12:33 PM
We definitely need someone who can actually challenge Nadal on clay. Who knows, maybe this kid will be the one to fill for Nadal one day.

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 12:48 PM
We definitely need someone who can actually challenge Nadal on clay. Who knows, maybe this kid will be the one to fill for Nadal one day.

Not Quinzi though. As Hian said, he prefers hard court. And I can say for sure that, although he played on clay all his ITF matches, Ciorcila also prefers hard court. Their game styles are built for hard court. They're too young to take advantage of it as they lack the physical build and the power in their hits needed to challenge players in their prime, but they'll build that to the age of 18.

Asadinator
09-15-2012, 12:55 PM
WOW defeating world #850, impressive stuff!

Backhand_Maestro
09-15-2012, 12:56 PM

Looks like aswell ;)

Looner
09-15-2012, 01:27 PM

The new Nadull, I tell you.

And he bites the trophy. I hope he fails miserably.

The Prince
09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Rafa is his hero, so of course he bites the trophy. :facepalm:

Ash86
09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
The new Nadull, I tell you.

And he bites the trophy. I hope he fails miserably.

Nadal's his favourite player and he's already been getting the right practice in to follow in his footsteps. ;) :p

http://static.livetennis.it/photo/QuinziNadal_normal.jpg

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Those of you ready to spill hate in this thread or have already spilled hate into this thread, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Dis-considering a kid because his hero is not the player you like most... Let me ask you this though. What great things were you achieving when you were 16 years-old ? (the ones of you that are still 16 or less are excluded)

Helevorn
09-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Those of you ready to spill hate in this thread or have already spilled hate into this thread, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Dis-considering a kid because his hero is not the player you like most... Let me ask you this though. What great things were you achieving when you were 16 years-old ? (the ones of you that are still 16 or less are excluded)

I like very much Quinzi and, having watched him play, I think that he has many chances to compete pretty well on the man tour.

Apart from this your speech has no sense. I have never achieved, for example, L. Mayer's results but I still hate him (as a tennis player and not as a person, of course), so everyone can hate Quinzi as long as they want and for the reasons they want even if they have never achieved anything in their lives :shrug:.

MaxPower
09-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Interesting. Unlike many other kids this guy got decent height and definitely the physicality to succeed at early age even vs the pros.

He gets the MaxPower Seal of Approval

The Prince
09-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Get over yourself. :facepalm:

Looner
09-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Interesting. Unlike many other kids this guy got decent height and definitely the physicality to succeed at early age even vs the pros.

He gets the MaxPower Seal of Approval

How tall is he?

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Apart from this your speech has no sense. I have never achieved, for example, L. Mayer's results but I still hate him (as a tennis player and not as a person, of course), so everyone can hate Quinzi as long as they want and for the reasons they want even if they have never achieved anything in their lives :shrug:.

Yeah, the freedom to hate without recognizing talent, the freedom to hate without caring about the people around you and what they do. Something I can't afford, but if they can, so be it. With all due respect though, it makes me sad to be part of such a world.

Get over yourself. :facepalm:

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuude... When have I ever been rude to a fellow forum member ?

Ash86
09-15-2012, 03:02 PM
How tall is he?

Look at the photo I posted on the previous page - he's taller than Nishikori already and would still be growing. In the photo next to Nadal seems to come to his height so obvious a 6ft+ player.

Looner
09-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Look at the photo I posted on the previous page - he's taller than Nishikori already and would still be growing. In the photo next to Nadal seems to come to his height so obvious a 6ft+ player.

Looks something like 5' 11" or even 6'. Quite tall. He has broad shoulders as well. If he doesn't buttpick and timewaste I may forgive him but it's unlikely.

r3d_d3v1l_
09-15-2012, 03:08 PM
He is taller than Nadal.

Looner
09-15-2012, 03:12 PM
He is taller than Nadal.

I look forward to him destroying Nadull in Rio on clay :D.

Ash86
09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I look forward to him destroying Nadull in Rio on clay :D.

It's lefty v. lefty - Nadal's record against lefties is too good. Sadly for Quinzi... Then again he can hope Rio is on blue clay and pull off a Verdasco moment. :sad:

MaxPower
09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
How tall is he?

Said 188cm on a source I found which would make him slightly taller than Nadal/Feds. I went by that. And only 16 so might get a little more. I think it's important to have some height in todays game, especially if you want to become more than a grinder/pusher

many shorter <180cm are better coordinated as 15-16 year olds but I just don't believe in them as much

Looner
09-15-2012, 03:18 PM
It's lefty v. lefty - Nadal's record against lefties is too good. Sadly for Quinzi... Then again he can hope Rio is on blue clay and pull off a Verdasco moment. :sad:

Lol, Nadull record against most tennis players is very good. As you know, he only loses when he's injured. Lefties have given him trouble (Dasco) but they aren't any good ones that can hang with him.

Said 188cm on a source I found which would make him slightly taller than Nadal/Feds. I went by that. And only 16 so might get a little more. I think it's important to have some height in todays game, especially if you want to become more than a grinder/pusher

many shorter <180cm are better coordinated as 15-16 year olds but I just don't believe in them as much

Sounds good. Hopefully, he's not another mug who's only good in juniors. An Italian winning something would be quite cool.

Ash86
09-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Lol, Nadull record against most tennis players is very good. As you know, he only loses when he's injured. Lefties have given him trouble (Dasco) but they aren't any good ones that can hang with him.

:haha:

How often has Dasco given him trouble?! Dasco broke down in tears in Madrid as it was the first time in like 12 meetings that he'd EVER beaten Nadal - and even that needed an epic collapse from Nadal and weird clay. His game matches up well vs. lefties.

gaitare
09-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Take nothing away from Quinzi but Nishioka was dead tired after his grind in the previous round.

ciprianned
09-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanasi Kokkinakis made this before him
and also Patrick Ciorcila ( 15 years old ) ;)

The Prince
09-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah, the freedom to hate without recognizing talent, the freedom to hate without caring about the people around you and what they do. Something I can't afford, but if they can, so be it. With all due respect though, it makes me sad to be part of such a world.

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuude... When have I ever been rude to a fellow forum member ?

Your post was absolute tosh.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether to hate someone or like them. How boring would it be if we all liked and hated the same things?

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
and also Patrick Ciorcila ( 15 years old ) ;)

You haven't read this post of mine on page 2, have you ?;)

Yoshihito Nishioka
Thanasi Kokkinakis
Patrick Ciorcila
Gianluigi Quinzi

The 4 "amazings" of this young generation. All 4 have reached semifinals of Futures tournaments. Nishioka has reached a final at the age of 16, but is the oldest one of them. Ciorcila is the youngest one of them, and has reached the semifinals of a Futures at the age of 15.

Your post was absolute tosh.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether to hate someone or like them. How boring would it be if we all liked and hated the same things?

Just got one word for you here:

Meh.

Looner
09-15-2012, 04:00 PM
:haha:

How often has Dasco given him trouble?! Dasco broke down in tears in Madrid as it was the first time in like 12 meetings that he'd EVER beaten Nadal - and even that needed an epic collapse from Nadal and weird clay. His game matches up well vs. lefties.

Verdasco has given Nadull plenty of problems. The fact he's only won one means that he lacks mental toughness or are you trolling me?

The Prince
09-15-2012, 04:04 PM
You haven't read this post of mine on page 2, have you ?;)

Just got one word for you here:

Meh.

Because you know I'm right.

I think Quinzi's a bit of a dick, you think he is great. Fair dos. No need to try to lecture.

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Because you know I'm right.

Because if you have the right to criticize a 16-year-old kid for having Nadal as a hero, I have every right to not care about anything you post ever again. Don't bother replying, rude-boy.

The Prince
09-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Because if you have the right to criticize a 16-year-old kid for having Nadal as a hero, I have every right to not care about anything you post ever again. Don't bother replying, rude-boy.

You have no reason to post on this forum if you can't deal with other people's opinions.

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
You have no reason to post on this forum if you can't deal with other people's opinions.

Fine... one final reply for rude-boy.

Since when are YOU other people ? Since I started posting my live rankings around here you're the first true un-gentleman I see. You think you have all the power to back your hater's life behind noble democratic rights like "I can do anything the hell I want" or "Have you been working for 10 years to become 1000th in the world at the age of 16 ? Pathetic. And I'm right to say that because I have the right to hate anyone I want."

You're just a kid behind a flashy computer monitor. You're saying that you're right because you want to be right, because that's what all kids want. I may have been wrong to try to impose my desire to stop the unfair hate against Quinzi, but I'm not afraid to admit that. I was also wrong to think that some of the members around here are moral. Ah, moral, a word you may not have discovered yet.

Look at Looner for instance. He's a Fedfan, like me, yet he noticed something wrong about hating Quinzi just for having Nadal as a hero, so he backed up just a little, enough to be opinion-changing and just in his claims, still prepared to hate the guy if he becomes like Nadal. That's more moral than you'll ever be. Sorry Looner to have included you in this paragraph.

The Prince
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM

Since when are YOU other people ? Since I started posting my live rankings around here you're the first true un-gentleman I see. You think you have all the power to back your hater's life behind noble democratic rights like "I can do anything the hell I want" or "Have you been working for 10 years to become 1000th in the world at the age of 16 ? Pathetic. And I'm right to say that because I have the right to hate anyone I want."

You're just a kid behind a flashy computer monitor. You're saying that you're right because you want to be right, because that's what all kids want. I may have been wrong to try to impose my desire to stop the unfair hate against Quinzi, but I'm not afraid to admit that. I was also wrong to think that some of the members around here are moral. Ah, moral, a word you may not have discovered yet.

Look at Looner for instance. He's a Fedfan, like me, yet he noticed something wrong about hating Quinzi just for having Nadal as a hero, so he backed up just a little, enough to be opinion-changing and just in his claims, still prepared to hate the guy if he becomes like Nadal. That's more moral than you'll ever be. Sorry Looner to have included you in this paragraph.

I think that's an overreaction.

Let me first say, I appreciate your work on the rankings, it's fantastic, I applaud you for that. :hatoff:

Secondly, I don't judge you or any other person for who they support or what they say. I merely said I don't like Quinzi. I even acknowledged it's absolutely okay for anyone to support anyone. It's a forum, dude! :)

r3d_d3v1l_
09-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Verdasco has given Nadull plenty of problems. The fact he's only won one means that he lacks mental toughness or are you trolling me?

Dude, you should know by now that every spaniard bends over to Nadal.

It´s a patriotic thing.

Marcoo
09-15-2012, 05:25 PM
So cool, finally someone who might make the Italian tennis more popular and give more awesome results !! Go Gianluigi :D

Looner
09-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Just saw this :lol:. It's probably quite hard to get through the internet but I was obviously joking in my first comment here. I haven't seen the kid play, so I can't hate on him too much. However, biting trophies is, of course, a no-go in my book. Having said that, any young talent would be appreciated in tennis nowadays. My comment was meant to piss off RNtards :p.

tribalfusion
09-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Nice post and thanks for posting about the kid in general. I will be sure to take a look next time he is televised.

I think we could expand on this and say that "hating" tennis players in general whether 16 or 32 is a remarkably brainless thing to do.

Pirata.
09-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Alexander Zverev.

Mischa's brother?

Smoke944
09-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Mischa's brother?

yes

The Prince
09-15-2012, 08:46 PM
He is known as Sascha, though, so he isn't confused with his father.

Legendary Lopata
09-15-2012, 09:06 PM
:lol:That's something:lol:

Sombrerero loco
09-15-2012, 10:17 PM
well albert alcaraz from spain is way better in my opinion, but quinzi is good too

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah, but Alcaraz Ivorra is 9 months older than Quinzi. That's a lot of time when it comes to juniors' tennis. Juniors must adapt their game quickly in balance with their growing strength and agility. It's normal for the Spanish player to have a specific advantage in front of Quinzi, but this difference may change easily and suddenly in the future. Or it can go the other way around if Quinzi can't keep up.;)

Sombrerero loco
09-15-2012, 10:35 PM
he was future semifinalist last year in november, so still he was younger when reaching future semifinals :P

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 10:41 PM
he was future semifinalist last year in november, so still he was younger when reaching future semifinals :P

By one month LOL.:)

I'm sure many examples can be found for someone reaching Futures semifinals at a younger age than Quinzi. Our example of Ciorcila doing it last month at 15 is among them. Nobody is claiming that Quinzi is the best though, nor that he ain't got talent. It's only in the hope of great tennis in a future generation. Something against this "Tennis is dying in 5 years" current that seems to be growing larger.:D

Sombrerero loco
09-15-2012, 10:43 PM
well i said he was better, you said he was older, then i told you he reached that why you are calling quinzi good prospect tennis player(future semifinals) before than him and still you say that doesnt mind. ok

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 10:48 PM
well i said he was better, you said he was older, then i told you he reached that why you are calling quinzi good prospect tennis player(future semifinals) before than him and still you say that doesnt mind. ok

We're both right here, all the players mentioned in this thread have great potential. But until the two of them (Alcaraz Ivorra and Quinzi) meet in a match, we can't say who is the best......
Wait, they've already met this year in the Asuncion Bowl, and Quinzi won 7-6(3) 6-1.;)

Sombrerero loco
09-15-2012, 10:54 PM
time will tell who is the better player. i dont care about just one match lost to him, tbh
imo, alcaraz is way better right now, lets see who develops better his potential

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 10:56 PM
time will tell who is the better player. i dont care about just one match lost to him, tbh
imo, alcaraz is way better right now, lets see who develops better his potential

Right again. :yeah:

Sombrerero loco
09-15-2012, 10:57 PM
just dont act like you know everything and its ok :unsure:

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 11:04 PM

That's the second time someone is being rude to me today. I'm on a roll.

Slice Winner
09-15-2012, 11:50 PM

Pot, kettle.

rocketassist
09-15-2012, 11:58 PM
No problemo if his hero is Nadal, as long as he actually puts up a fight if he ever plays him instead of doing a Monaco and standing there in awe applauding all the vamoses and topspin forehands.

atennisfan
09-16-2012, 12:56 AM

:superlol:

IKR!

At 16, Hewitt won an ATP and beat Agassi.

Topspindoctor
09-16-2012, 01:17 AM
This guy will win at least 20 slams :rocker2:

Slasher1985
09-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Arevalo defeated Quinzi, but the italian put up a good fight and won the first set.:)

duong
09-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Interesting stat. At his age, just Nadal was ranked MUCH HIGHER. He is in trend with Roger, Nole and Andy. Tipsy, Simon and the others were merely ranked at his age.

just to relativize those great comparisons at 16 and a half and the "huge" performance to beat Nishioka who's 7 months older than him and was tired for this match :

Ryan Harrison defeated Pablo Cuevas before 16 years old.

The youngest guy to win a match on the ATP Tour (I mean not futures or challengers here, you would certainly find tuns of futures semifinals at that age) was ... Franco Davin (yes Del Po's coach, carreer's best number 30) at 15 years and one month, ahead of Tommy Ho, 15 and two months (yes, America's worse failure than Donald Young), Michael Chang and Jimmy Arias (15 years and 6 months), Aaron Krickstein and Pat Cash (15 and 8 months).

Tomic had won 2 junior grand slams at Quinzi's age, and Donald Young at least one as well.

Besides, the fact that Quinzi is so tall at such an young age surely helps him against the smaller ones.

I mean I don't want to be harsh with Quinzi but comments like saying that "for sure he's a future star" etc, are far too premature.

16 is very very young to say anything like that, except if the guy was really a genius as Nadal and Gasquet looked like in their time (and see what Gasquet has become).

Especially in our time, when there can be big variations between early and later results.

For instance Raonic and Goffin were not especially hyped in their young time.

So far Quinzi looks as the best of his generation maybe ... but two years ago people said it was Coric (who's 9 months younger and maybe is less strong physically).

Same about Milojevic who was very hyped a few years ago ...

Just wait and see.

Sombrerero loco
09-17-2012, 06:57 PM
just to relativize those great comparisons at 16 and a half and the "huge" performance to beat Nishioka who's 7 months older than him and was tired for this match :

Ryan Harrison defeated Pablo Cuevas before 16 years old.

The youngest guy to win a match on the ATP Tour (I mean not futures or challengers here, you would certainly find tuns of futures semifinals at that age) was ... Franco Davin (yes Del Po's coach, carreer's best number 30) at 15 years and one month, ahead of Tommy Ho, 15 and two months (yes, America's worse failure than Donald Young), Michael Chang and Jimmy Arias (15 years and 6 months), Aaron Krickstein and Pat Cash (15 and 8 months).

Tomic had won 2 junior grand slams at Quinzi's age, and Donald Young at least one as well.

Besides, the fact that Quinzi is so tall at such an young age surely helps him against the smaller ones.

I mean I don't want to be harsh with Quinzi but comments like saying that "for sure he's a future star" etc, are far too premature.

16 is very very young to say anything like that, except if the guy was really a genius as Nadal and Gasquet looked like in their time (and see what Gasquet has become).

Especially in our time, when there can be big variations between early and later results.

For instance Raonic and Goffin were not especially hyped in their young time.

So far Quinzi looks as the best of his generation maybe ... but two years ago people said it was Coric (who's 9 months younger and maybe is less strong physically).

Same about Milojevic who was very hyped a few years ago ...

Just wait and see.

quinzi will be really lucky if he achieves the same gasquet did :wavey:

duong
09-17-2012, 07:03 PM
quinzi will be really lucky if he achieves the same gasquet did :wavey:

Gasquet had defeated Squillari (Argentine world number 54 who went to number 11 in the world) in Monte-Carlo 9 months younger than Quinzi is.

He had also won 2 junior grand slams.

TennisOnWood
09-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Gasquet had defeated Squillari (Argentine world number 54 who went to number 11 in the world) in Monte-Carlo 9 months younger than Quinzi is.

Don't think there's a single chance to see 15 or 16 years old guys winning match in ATP tournament.. they can't even get chance to play them. Players born in 1993 made only few ATP wins so far, and they all will be 19 by the end of year. Peliwo, Saville or Broady will get chance to score some wins for 1994 generation next year but its not going to be easy

Players born after 1994 don't have Challenger win, or Futures titles

Slasher1985
09-17-2012, 07:18 PM

In that specific tournament (I think the qualies) he also beat Davydenko (5 years older than him and at the time in Top 100 - #80), Adrian Voinea (also Top 100), and only Marat Safin was able to stop him. He was still 15.

duong
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
In that specific tournament (I think the qualies) he also beat Davydenko (5 years older than him and at the time in Top 100 - #80), Adrian Voinea (also Top 100), and only Marat Safin was able to stop him. He was still 15.

yes, in the qualies :)

Beta2k
09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
duong, do you have some info on juniors (15-18 year old) winning ATP games of the last 5 (or 10) years?

TennisOnWood
09-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Winning matches or titles?

Slasher1985
09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Quinzi is now 856th in the live rankings for the next Monday.:)

Beta2k
09-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Winning matches or titles?

winning matches..
i think there is none single title on ATP level in the last 10 years from 15-18 years old (except nadal..)?

TennisOnWood
09-17-2012, 08:16 PM
winning matches..
i think there is none single title on ATP level in the last 10 years from 15-18 years old (except nadal..)?

I'm not sure about matches.. Rafa, Richard and Ryan made ATP win at the age of 15 (probably noone will ever aafter Harrison)

Since 2002. season Nadal won 6 ATP titles at the age of 18, and Monfils, Murray, Nishikori one each. Kei in Delray Beach 2008 was last player with ATP title at the age of 18, who knows will we ever again see that

Slasher1985
09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't know why you guys are so pessimistic. In my book, it's never say never. Sure, maybe this young generation won't be able too, but I doubt we're never going to see a junior win an ATP title ever again. I'm sure it will happen again soon.:)

TennisOnWood
09-17-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't know why you guys are so pessimistic. In my book, it's never say never. Sure, maybe this young generation won't be able too, but I doubt we're never going to see a junior win an ATP title ever again. I'm sure it will happen again soon.:)

I can bet in my life that it will not happen in next, at least, 7 or 8 years. As I said, they can't do anything in Challenger level, ATP is too far

Just check how many Futures won players born in 1994., and many of them are very talented

duong
09-17-2012, 08:23 PM
winning matches..

Harrison defeated Pablo Cuevas 64 63 at 15 years and 11 months old in Houston 2008.

Dimitrov defeated Berdych in Rotterdam then resisted to Nadal, he was a little bit less than 18 years old.

Nishikori won Delray Beach at 18 years and two months. He had won some ATP matches before 18, in Indianapolis and Washington 2007.

Krajinovic also was a little bit more than 18 when he reached Belgrade semifinals defeating Donskoy, Zeballos and an ill Djokovic.

There are surely many other ones ...

Slasher1985
09-17-2012, 08:27 PM
I can bet in my life that it will not happen in next, at least, 7 or 8 years. As I said, they can't do anything in Challenger level, ATP is too far

Just check how many Futures won players born in 1994., and many of them are very talented

I really don't know what to say to this. How much is it their fault if they're 'talented' ? Tennis is different than 10 years ago that's for sure. Maybe it's a rhythm juniors can't keep up with. And maybe it will take time for a new "breed" to learn the pace.

I do keep hopeful though. :)

Beta2k
09-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Harrison as I said defeated Pablo Cuevas 64 63 at 15 years and 11 months old in Houston 2008.

any other ATP wins? also 16/17 y.o.?

Edit: cool! thx for the edits above :)

TennisOnWood
09-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Bernard won match in Melbourne 2009. at the age of 16y 2m

duong
09-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I really don't know what to say to this. How much is it their fault if they're 'talented' ? Tennis is different than 10 years ago that's for sure. Maybe it's a rhythm juniors can't keep up with. And maybe it will take time for a new "breed" to learn the pace.

I do keep hopeful though. :)

anyway it's already visible that the 1992 generation (Tomic, Harrison, Krajinovic, Bhambri and many others) was much better in young ages than the next ones.

See Guilherme Clezar : he's born on the 31st of december 1992 : in the 1992 generation he's anonymous, not part of the 10 best ones, in the 1993 one he would be a great one, the highest ranked at the moment.

Beta2k
09-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Bernard won match in Melbourne 2009. at the age of 16y 2m

this was challenger, wasn't it?

but he won in Aussie Open 2009 vs. Starace. #768 vs #73 :)

duong
09-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Donald Young had won a match in Houston 2006 at less than 17 years old, but against an unknown player Armando. Didn't win a match in the ATP tour before New Haven 2007 then, he was 18 and one month.

duong
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM

yes he won a match in Aussie Open then a title in Melbourne challenger defeating Matosevic in the final :)

TennisOnWood
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM

That was Australian Open m8 :D he is 4th youngest player in Open era who won Grand Slam match

Here it is

JbYOtNqB8Qw&feature=plcp

Beta2k
09-17-2012, 08:43 PM
yes he won a match in Aussie Open then a title in Melbourne challenger defeating Matosevic in the final :)

also remarkable of tomic (though it's not a main draw win): his first ever pro-level match was in Aussie Open 2008 Qualifying Draw as an unranked player and he won vs. Jimmy Wang (#147).

Beta2k
09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
holy cow. this win of TOMIC vs. STARACE as can be seen in the video above is awesome..

a new question arises to me: what are the biggest upsets (meaning the biggest difference in ranks, but the better player needs to be top 150 (because a win of #1700 vs #1000 is not that good, even though there is 700 ranks difference))? does anyone have stats for this or at least an excel-file for me to play around with (duong?)?

Smoke944
09-17-2012, 09:11 PM

But the thing is, Gasquet never improved from when he was 16 years old. Physically or in terms of his game. No improvements at all. Quinzi is physically very impressive and will still grow for a couple more years. He also has no huge weakness in his game like Gasquet's forehand. It's silly to say that because players have far better results at an earlier age than others, they will automatically achieve more. Ryan Harrison was beating Cuevas before the age of 16 when Raonic was 17.5 and losing badly in futures. But guess what, Ryan never improved his game since then and Raonic is a late bloomer that is fulfilling his potential nicely. Unfortunate to say from an American perspective, but at this point it's easy to say that Ryan is simply never going to be near the player Raonic is.

So no, we can't say that because Quinzi is having less success now he will never measure up to Gasquet.

Smoke944
09-17-2012, 09:28 PM

Very talented is relative, but the thing is, it's really a stretch to call any of the 1994 players very talented. Yes they had great and consistent junior results, but doing that in their final year of junior eligibility while having average pro results isn't near enough to consider them as an elite talent. When the next truly elite talents come around you will see them having very good results in challengers at 17-18 unlike any of these guys. The game hasn't changed since 05-06 when guys like Murray and Del Potro were winning challengers/ATP matches when they could still be playing juniors. The only reason we didn't see any young players doing that the last few years is that there was a drought of top talent.

duong
09-17-2012, 09:35 PM
So no, we can't say that because Quinzi is having less success now he will never measure up to Gasquet.

I never said that.
I just answered to posts saying "for sure he will be a future star", saying his results were comparable to Djokovic, Murray or Fed at the same age and so on

... I wanted to relativize that because there were other possible comparisons at such an young age, which I displayed and didn't look that favourable.

And I just meant "wait and see", he's very very young and has done hardly anything yet.

And I said that at young ages, generation 92 was much better than the next ones. There's nothing in Quinzi or others' results that somebody in 1992 generation has done, including those called Tomug on this forum.

It always makes me laugh how results in youngsters' tournaments are praised on MTF and then if they can't get to the top-20, they are called mugs :lol:

Besides, when you say "he's physically very impressive and will grow more", I would rather think that when someone is already physically very impressive, he will not grow more. Besides, around 15 years old especially, boys who mature physically earlier will have better success.

duong
09-17-2012, 09:41 PM
The game hasn't changed since 05-06 when guys like Murray and Del Potro were winning challengers/ATP matches when they could still be playing juniors. The only reason we didn't see any young players doing that the last few years is that there was a drought of top talent.

I agree with that, I don't think the game has changed so much since the early eclosion of 1986-1988 generations, even Nishikori and Young, then I really think there's a genberational effect.

Besides, the comparison with the 1992 generation makes it even clearer that generations 1991, 1993, 1994 are indeed poor.

Smoke944
09-17-2012, 09:41 PM
I never said that.
I just answered to posts saying "for sure he will be a future star" and said "wait and see", he's very very young and has done hardly anything yet.

Oh, I agree with this. It's too early to label him anything, though I think he has all the tools.

But when you say "he's physically very impressive and will grow more", I would rather think that when someone is already physically very impressive, he will not grow more. Besides, around 15 years old especially, boys who mature physically earlier will have better success.

I understand your point but just because he's already impressive it doesn't mean he's done growing. Only time will tell, really. You could be right or he could grow two or three more inches.

Sombrerero loco
09-17-2012, 09:44 PM
tomic is way better than anyone from 93 or 94 or even 95. give them 3 years and still none of them will have achieved something similar to tomic

Slasher1985
09-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Quinzi and Nishioka are gonna meet again in the first round of this week's Mexico F11 tournament.:)

scarecrows
09-19-2012, 09:57 PM
strange scoreline

maybe some injury for quinzi as there was a delay in the scoreboard

TennisOnWood
09-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Nishioka won 2-6 6-1 6-1.. but of course, Gianluigi must have been injured

Hian-GOAT
09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Probably. He is playing a lot lately.

TigerTim
09-19-2012, 10:07 PM
shouldn't do that.

rocketassist
09-20-2012, 02:07 AM
tomic is way better than anyone from 93 or 94 or even 95. give them 3 years and still none of them will have achieved something similar to tomic

Tomic has achieved what?

These kids would only have to win an ATP 250 to pass him :rolls:

Topspindoctor
09-20-2012, 02:12 AM

Tomug is a clown with no game. So I'd say he is on the same level as all the rest born during that time. Little talent, but ego larger than yank national debt.

n8
09-20-2012, 02:44 AM

Tomic has achieved what?

Sombrerero loco is right. Tomic cracked the top 50 before turning 19. It would be like a player born 1st October 1993 being top 50 right now (the highest ranked 1993 born, Kubler, is 290 odd in the rankings). It really doesn't look like anyone born 1993-1995 will be top 50 before their 19th birthday.

-edit-

Replying to the thread title, Tomic reached a Futures final at 15.

Freak3yman84
09-20-2012, 02:47 AM
Tomug is a clown with no game. So I'd say he is on the same level as all the rest born during that time. Little talent, but ego larger than yank national debt.

Is that necessary? :mad:

abraxas21
09-20-2012, 06:11 AM
He likes Rafa ;)

eh, that's all i need to know about this kid.

consider me a quinzi hater.

abraxas21
09-20-2012, 06:12 AM
He likes Rafa ;)

^ And so? :shrug: This makes Quinzi's achievement less important?

yes

abraxas21
09-20-2012, 06:21 AM
At 16, Hewitt won an ATP and beat Agassi.

16 year olds, they just dont make em like they used to

abraxas21
09-20-2012, 06:24 AM

hmmmm... you talk too much

abraxas21
09-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Nishioka won 2-6 6-1 6-1..

great result. tennis won

Slasher1985
09-20-2012, 07:17 AM
hmmmm... you talk too much

hmmmm... you hate too much LOL... you bad repped me for that ???? :lol:

You're the saddest person on this forum.

Sombrerero loco
09-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Tomic has achieved what?

he has been to GS quarterfinals, and 4th round in 2 different slams
give me names from 93, 94 or 95 who has achieved something similar :rolleyes:

Sombrerero loco
09-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Sombrerero loco is right. Tomic cracked the top 50 before turning 19. It would be like a player born 1st October 1993 being top 50 right now (the highest ranked 1993 born, Kubler, is 290 odd in the rankings). It really doesn't look like anyone born 1993-1995 will be top 50 before their 19th birthday.

-edit-

this

duong
09-20-2012, 10:07 AM

-edit-

yes, the comments are typical : euphoria, "future great" because reaching a future semifinal or winning a junior grand slam, and then "mugs" when they play on the adult Tour :rolleyes:

Noone of these guys will do in the next few years half of what Tomic has done in the last few years.

Wing Man Frank
09-20-2012, 10:34 AM
For those defending Tomic, whilst what he's achieved so far is somewhat impressive, the reality remains that in the last 18 months he hasn't progressed at all. Add his poor attitude into the mix and it's hardly surprising to see people moaning at him is it?

duong
09-20-2012, 10:53 AM
For those defending Tomic, whilst what he's achieved so far is somewhat impressive, the reality remains that in the last 18 months he hasn't progressed at all. Add his poor attitude into the mix and it's hardly surprising to see people moaning at him is it?

I don't defend Tomic, my words were more general about "hyping youngsters" and "calling them mugs as adults",

but about what you say, another general thing I've seen : improvements are most often un-linear, and what you say has been said about many players, including Cilic, Berdych, Nishikori ... even Federer.

Hian-GOAT
09-20-2012, 12:25 PM
great result. tennis won

You never saw them :facepalm:

ciprianned
10-11-2012, 06:55 PM
:))

0h1mGqFRUBE

Quinzi is in QF @ Bolivia .

Looner
10-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I love the crowd: "Bravo, bravo!" :spit: :haha:. Shame he didn't hit a FH in that video but his BH looks to me like Djoko's. He really swings with the whole of his shoulders.

FiBeR
10-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Quinzi is a great player and should get respect.
He is a "one to watch"

Marcoo
10-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Wow pretty cool. Go young generstion !! :D

TBkeeper
10-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow pretty cool. Go young generstion !! :D

What you want man ... i'm improving just not that fast :P :D

ciprianned
10-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Quinzi def. Santana 7-6 6-3 - QF - Futures Brazil

ciprianned
11-05-2012, 08:59 PM
;)

xiyQnscEBBc

Hian-GOAT
11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
As today, he is ranked n.672 (best player of his generation), and has got several semifinals, always losing to the future winner.

Not as bad as many think ;)

duong
11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
yes it's good ... for his age, we will see later. Strange that he got those results on claycourts where the game is usually more physical.

By the way, the Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis, who is 2 months younger, has also made good results in recent weeks and has reached number 754 in the world.

Hian-GOAT
11-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Quinzi actually bagelled Kokkinakis a few months ago, and is getting better results.
But Kokkinakis is really promising, too. Let's hope thay can do both well.

TBkeeper
11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
The first time i meet Quinzi i'll spank him in straight sets
Mark my words!

Hian-GOAT
11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
You will be lucky to win a few games :cool:

ciprianned
11-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Current Singles Ranking - 666 ATP :))

Slasher1985
11-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Current Singles Ranking - 666 ATP :))

He was that a few weeks ago. Now he's 672, and he is 671 next week for now, but in two weeks he could be 659 with this point won in Brazil. With one more win 644, with two 610.

Asadinator
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM
As today, he is ranked n.672 (best player of his generation), and has got several semifinals, always losing to the future winner.

Not as bad as many think ;)

ATP is so dead :lol:

TennisOnWood
11-14-2012, 09:24 AM
ATP is so dead :lol:

He is bloody 16, he can't do better at the moment.. he or any other guys from his generation

Asadinator
11-14-2012, 09:42 AM
He is bloody 16, he can't do better at the moment.. he or any other guys from his generation

Yes they can. Tomug won AO rnd1 didn't he at 16?

Slasher1985
11-14-2012, 09:49 AM

Tomic is Australian though (therefore had a real advantage in getting a Wild Card into their Grand Slam). Quinzi is Italian, he may never get this chance so easily, but in the event he does, who are you to say he wouldn't achieve the same?

Let's say he gets a Wild Card in January. Who here thinks he can win a match (if it's not against a seed)?

Asadinator
11-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Tomic is Australian though (therefore had a real advantage in getting a Wild Card into their Grand Slam). Quinzi is Italian, he may never get this chance so easily, but in the event he does, who are you to say he wouldn't achieve the same?

Let's say he gets a Wild Card in January. Who here thinks he can win a match (if it's not against a seed)?

Ok let's try again:

Tomic Won and SF at a challanger, Quinzi can't even make a futures final, losing to mugs around the 500 ranking.

Slasher1985
11-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Ok let's try again:

Tomic Won and SF at a challanger, Quinzi can't even make a futures final, losing to mugs around the 500 ranking.

Yup, that's a better argument. Tomic was 16 and 4 months old when he won Melbourne CH coming in with a Wild Card. Quinzi is 16 and 9 months old now.

Time Violation
11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Yup, that's a better argument. Tomic was 16 and 4 months old when he won Melbourne CH coming in with a Wild Card. Quinzi is 16 and 9 months old now.

Yea, but Tomic was also touted as the next multi-slam winner, future of tennis and whatnot, while Quinzi is far from that level of hype.

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I don't see the reason of bashing Quinzi just because Tomic got obviously better results at his age.
Plus, Australians (both men and women) have easier chances than Italians.

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Yea, but Tomic was also touted as the next multi-slam winner, future of tennis and whatnot, while Quinzi is far from that level of hype.

Exactly :shrug: And no one has compared him to Birdemic, so :hysteric:

Slasher1985
11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't see the reason of bashing Quinzi just because Tomic got obviously better results at his age.
Plus, Australians (both men and women) have easier chances than Italians.

I have already said that about Aussies. One major difference between the two, despite Tomic winning more stuff at Quinzi's current age is the attitude. Quinzi is a very hard working modest player breaking through despite more modest tennis upbringing. That counts more and it may result in a better ascension, but every tennis player carves his own path, so let's see what the future brings.

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Exactly :yeah:

Asadinator
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Not really. People knew he would be good, but not winning slams good. I don't think any pundits predicted that, he had more negative reviews like from Rasheed. Future of Australian tennis for sure, because there is nobody else.

Also having hype or not doesn't mean anything on how you play tennis. You shouldn't compare performance to hype and make up your ambiguous rating on how a player has met expectations and use that to compare players, it's performance only. But naturally performing well will give you more hype.

duong
11-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I have already said that about Aussies. One major difference between the two, despite Tomic winning more stuff at Quinzi's current age is the attitude. Quinzi is a very hard working modest player breaking through despite more modest tennis upbringing. That counts more and it may result in a better ascension, but every tennis player carves his own path, so let's see what the future brings.

Tomic surely did work hard during most of his youth, that he had "hype" and now has other kinds of problems, just give you an impression that probably doesn't suit the reality of his past.

As for Quinzi, I'm just surprised that a 16-year-old-and-a-half guy is so tall and physically strong and has better success on clay than on other surfaces.

Maybe he has less margin for physical improvement than other players of his age (Kokkinakis for instance rather has better results on hardcourts).

Slasher1985
11-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Tomic surely did work hard during most of his youth, that he had "hype" and now has other kinds of problems, just give you an impression that probably doesn't suit the reality of his past.

I know Tomic worked hard when he was younger. But all the advantage he had with Wild Cards eventually got to him, especially when some trophies entered his account. That's the deal, Quinzi starting to win trophies will probably be the result of direct rankings ascension, while Tomic was helped by Wild Cards which increased his ranking artificially. I'm not saying there is no merit behind Tomic, just that the situations differ and Quinzi's path will totally be different.

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Slash is 100 % right.

And I find it embarassing that some poeple here are able to hate a 16 years old kid just because..? Oh wait, there are no reasons to hate a kid :facepalm:

Btw Quinzi can play very well on hard, too. In fact the semis are coming from hardcourt futures :p

Time Violation
11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Not really. People knew he would be good, but not winning slams good. I don't think any pundits predicted that, he had more negative reviews like from Rasheed. Future of Australian tennis for sure, because there is nobody else.

Wasn't he widely seen as Hewitt's "replacement"? Negative reviews have been from last few months mostly, last year and year before was quite different.

Asadinator
11-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Wasn't he widely seen as Hewitt's "replacement"? Negative reviews have been from last few months mostly, last year and year before was quite different.

Yeah future of Aussie tennis, by Hewitt's replacement they meant somebody aussie fans could follow during AO.

There were plenty of negative reviews, particularly from the coaches/experts in Australian tennis, like Roger Rasheed (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archives/old-sport-pages/bernard-tomics-game-is-is-junk-tennis-roger-rasheed-says/story-fn77kxzt-1225991333126).

He wasn't hyped internationally till Wimbledon QF, maybe AO RD3. The world doesn't care much for lower ranked australian players, unless they make a big impression on ATP. The Europeans and Americans have lots of hype in comparison. Like Dimitrov and Harrison were much more popular than Tomic when they were young, internationally speaking.

Asadinator
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
And I find it embarassing that some poeple here are able to hate a 16 years old kid just because..? Oh wait, there are no reasons to hate a kid :facepalm:

I don't hate him, I don't even know him. Was just saying how bad the future of ATP is. Nothing personal. :angel:

duong
11-14-2012, 01:21 PM
I know Tomic worked hard when he was younger. But all the advantage he had with Wild Cards eventually got to him, especially when some trophies entered his account. That's the deal, Quinzi starting to win trophies will probably be the result of direct rankings ascension, while Tomic was helped by Wild Cards which increased his ranking artificially.

no I disagree :

1. you give too much importance to Tomic's success in the Australian open and Australian challengers, he didn't just climb the rankings this way, and he didn't get many wild-cards comparing to what young Americans typically have.

2. I don't get how it would be a problem for him having hardly played futures. Nadal and Gasquet hardly played any ones either. He had to play challengers anyway and anyway to face good experienced adults there (in futures, you meet more youngsters). I rather think that challengers give better experience than futures, where unfortunately many youngsters have to spend a lot of time, win a lot of uninteresting matches, to climb in the rankings and in the end be allowed to play matches which are better for their experience in challengers or main tour.

3. I don't think it's possible to compare Quinzi and Tomic now and draw conclusions for the future : Quinzi is just a very young guy who has some starting success in futures, we will see what he will do later, but I can't see how any conclusions can be drawn for the future of Quinzi comparing to Tomic. Anyway, the comparison is unfair as on MTF, typically, very young guys who have a little success and are ranked 500 in the world are hyped to hell and when they get to play with the best ones and are "only" in top-50 like Tomic, they become mugs :rolleyes:

duong
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Btw Quinzi can play very well on hard, too. In fact the semis are coming from hardcourt futures :p

one on hard (in Mexico, and Mexican futures are not the best), 3 on clay

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't hate him, I don't even know him. Was just saying how bad the future of ATP is. Nothing personal. :angel:

You can't know :shrug: Maybe Quinzi and Kokkinakis will be playing great finals in some years, and maybe they will stay in Futures forever. But saying that ATP's future is bad just because these players' staffs don't want them to "burn" immediately, but they want them to build a slow ma progressive and succesful career.. well, this is really bad sorry :lol:

TennisOnWood
11-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Yeah, and 4 years later he is closer to jail than to any ATP success ;)

Smoke944
11-14-2012, 01:55 PM

Also having hype or not doesn't mean anything on how you play tennis. You shouldn't compare performance to hype and make up your ambiguous rating on how a player has met expectations and use that to compare players, it's performance only. But naturally performing well will give you more hype.

Not true in the slightest :lol:

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Aussie trolls actually worshipped him as a tennis god IMHO, no one here is saying GQ is going to win Slams in the future :lol:

Time Violation
11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
GQ to win slams in the future! :rocker2:

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 02:05 PM
:lol:

Asadinator
11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah, and 4 years later he is closer to jail than to any ATP success ;)

Well at least he joined the Top 4 like he said:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12534066&postcount=306 :worship:

scarecrows
11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
good win over Neis

Hian-GOAT
11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
:eek: I've read he had 4 MP3 up 6-5 and he wasted them all, I thought he would have lost then (I mean, he is still so young).

Great win otherwise :yeah:

ciprianned
11-17-2012, 09:51 AM
SF : Quinzi vs. Estevez

Hian-GOAT
11-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Great win, but the final seems a bit too much at the moment, considering his opponent :sad: :hug:

JarkaFish
11-23-2012, 07:49 PM
...and after a billion consecutive future SFs he now finds himself in a final!

Mr Brightside
11-23-2012, 10:04 PM
forza GQ :yeah: well inside top600

Sombrerero loco
11-24-2012, 11:24 AM
impressive considering his age, indeed

Ash86
11-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Yay Quinzi! My favourite of the youngsters! Hope he gets his ranking up even more by Rome next year and maybe even gets a WC into the main draw. Making great progress so far. :)

Out of interest, wanted to check what Nadal's early progress was like in Futures and Challengers and though I know he was different in how well he did straight away I wonder why no one else ever has similar success... Nadal played his first Future at age 15, lost first match. Then played a Challenger the following week and won a match. His first ranking on tour was in the 700s. Then he played an ATP match (in Mallorca) and won the first round taking him into the 500s and then he won the next tournament he entered - a Future.

So his route was: Future (1R), Challenger (2R), ATP 250 (2R), Future (W). He won 5 other Futures that year (2001) and ended the year just outside the top 200 (203). Again, compared to his contemporaries Quinzi is doing amazingly (Peliwo who is nearly 2 years older is still not in the top 500 while Quinzi is already in the 700s...) but is it too much to ever expect more wins earlier?

Felixavier10
11-24-2012, 02:23 PM
16 y.o.

1996 Safin RUS ATP-445
1997 Hewitt AUS ATP-550, Federer SUI ATP-704
1998 Robredo ESP ATP-511
1999 Verdasco ESP ATP-1026
2000 Ancic CRO ATP-547
2001 Wang TPE ATP-402
2002 Gasquet FRA ATP-161, Nadal ESP ATP-200
2003 Murray GBR ATP-540, Zverev GER ATP-586, Djokovic SRB ATP-679
2004 Korolev RUS ATP-421
2005 Young USA ATP-553
2006 Elias POR ATP-936
2007 Williams USA ATP-796
2008 Krajinovic SRB ATP-593, Harrison USA ATP-748, Tomic AUS ATP-763
2009 Jeong KOR ATP-893
2010 Broady GBR ATP-1108
2011 Nishioka JPN ATP-888
2012 Quinzi ITA ATP-530(CHI W) / ATP-558(CHI F)

Slasher1985
11-24-2012, 02:58 PM
16 y.o.

1996 Safin RUS ATP-445
1998 Robredo ESP ATP-511
2000 Ancic CRO ATP-547
2001 Wang TPE ATP-402
2004 Korolev RUS ATP-421
2005 Young USA ATP-553
2006 Elias POR ATP-936
2009 Jeong KOR ATP-893
2010 Broady GBR ATP-1108

Seems that the average ranking of all those that came before him was 638 when they were 16 y.o., making Quinzi slightly above average.

Snowwy
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Seems that the average ranking of all those that came before him was 638 when they were 16 y.o., making Quinzi slightly above average.

But do we include the outlier in Liam Broady?

TBkeeper
11-24-2012, 03:36 PM
16 y.o.

1996 Safin RUS ATP-445
1998 Robredo ESP ATP-511
2000 Ancic CRO ATP-547
2001 Wang TPE ATP-402
2004 Korolev RUS ATP-421
2005 Young USA ATP-553
2006 Elias POR ATP-936
2009 Jeong KOR ATP-893
2010 Broady GBR ATP-1108

!!!!! SUCH A GREAT LIST !!!!!
Can you provide me with lists at 14 and 15 y.o :) i'll be thankful

Slasher1985
11-24-2012, 04:03 PM
But do we include the outlier in Liam Broady?

I'm gonna try a list at ages 14-18 (will use Quinzi's current age of 16 years and 9 months old).

Slasher1985
11-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Current Top 10:

With red, rankings that were lower than Quinzi's at his age, with green, rankings that were higher.

14 15 16 16/9 17 18
Novak Djokovic -- -- -- 671 515 128
Roger Federer -- -- -- 711 679 103
Andy Murray -- -- -- 537 541 375
Rafael Nadal -- -- 589 149 75 49
David Ferrer -- -- -- -- -- 1085
Tomas Berdych -- -- -- 766 772 105
J.M. Del Potro -- -- 1413 425 209 106
J.W. Tsonga -- -- -- 898 709 387
Janko Tipsarevic -- -- -- 1070 602 405
Richard Gasquet -- -- 276 112 126 106

Gianluigi Quinzi -- -- 1780 666

4 better, 6 worse... With this statistic only, optimists are allowed to say that Quinzi has Top 10 potential.

Slasher1985
11-24-2012, 04:32 PM
To be frank, by the time he's going to be 17, he's gonna surpass Murray, I'm sure. That leaves only Nadal, Del Potro and Gasquet as better than him at the age of 17.

Smoke944
11-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Rivera beat him 6-4 6-4 in the final. Another future in Chile next week.

Slasher1985
11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Adding a few more youngster players here:

14 15 16 16/9 17 18
Novak Djokovic -- -- -- 671 515 128
Roger Federer -- -- -- 711 679 103
Andy Murray -- -- -- 537 541 375
Rafael Nadal -- -- 589 149 75 49
David Ferrer -- -- -- -- -- 1085
Tomas Berdych -- -- -- 766 772 105
J.M. Del Potro -- -- 1413 425 209 106
J.W. Tsonga -- -- -- 898 709 387
Janko Tipsarevic -- -- -- 1070 602 405
Richard Gasquet -- -- 276 112 126 106

Gianluigi Quinzi -- -- 1780 666

Luke Saville(343) -- -- 1660 1333 1381 1168
Kyle Edmund(568) -- -- -- -- --
T. Kokkinakis(746) -- 1526 1273
Y. Nishioka(772) -- -- -- 802 687
Al. Zverev(824) -- --
P. Ciorcila(974) -- -- 1008

Springer89
11-24-2012, 08:54 PM
16 y.o.

1996 Safin RUS ATP-445
1998 Robredo ESP ATP-511
2000 Ancic CRO ATP-547
2001 Wang TPE ATP-402
2004 Korolev RUS ATP-421
2005 Young USA ATP-553
2006 Elias POR ATP-936
2009 Jeong KOR ATP-893
2010 Broady GBR ATP-1108

To complete the list (from 2000 on, top 1000 only):
2000 Dennis Peschek (GER) 957
2001 N.Almagro 844, J-W.Tsonga 899, Lenoir Ramos (BRA) 903, T.Gabashvili 948
2002 M.Granollers 954, Nikolai Soloviev (RUS) 998
2004 I.Sergeyev 938
2006 Cheong-Eui Kim (KOR) 866, Rafael Camilo (BRA) 933
2007 T-H.Yang 685
2008 J.Marti 847
2009 T.Fernandes 946
2011 A.Alcaraz_Ivorra 936, T.Ismailov 963

Slasher1985
11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Rivera beat him 6-4 6-4 in the final. Another future in Chile next week.

Here we are, and here he must face Aguilar, the main seed, in the first round.:D

duong
11-26-2012, 04:50 PM
16 y.o.

1996 Safin RUS ATP-445
1998 Robredo ESP ATP-511
2000 Ancic CRO ATP-547
2001 Wang TPE ATP-402
2004 Korolev RUS ATP-421
2005 Young USA ATP-553
2006 Elias POR ATP-936
2009 Jeong KOR ATP-893
2010 Broady GBR ATP-1108

what's your source and precise definition of "16 years old" ? :rolleyes:

Personally I have a very precise referrence : I look at rankings on the 17th birthday, and Tomic was ranked 292 on his 17th birthday (Del Potro was ranked 209)

If I get what people mean by "being 16" on this forum, in previous months, he was still 16 and was ranked, let's say, 300, not 763 !!

Quinzi will be 17 years old in a little bit more than 2 months (next 1st of february) and he's ranked 600.

I will look at that referrence personally to have something precise.

duong
11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Here's the top-50 rankings I have from my file on the 17th birthday (however my file is not complete yet) :

Krickstein 11
Chang 25
Agassi 56
Nadal 75
Davin 110
Becker 110
Perez-Roldan 119
Gasquet 126
Carlsson (Kent) 139
Martin (Billy) 145
Hewitt 166
Del Potro 209
Sampras 214
(Van) Winitsky 280
Robredo 283
Tomic (Aus) 292
Hjertquist (Per, Swed) 310
Skoff 318
Acasuso 319
Pereira (Nicolas, Bras) 331
Courier 358
Barr (Aus, Shane) 363
Hogstedt (Thomas) 368
Korolev (Rus) 369
Meinecke (Ger, Tore) 381
Wang Jimmy / Yeu Tzuoo (Twan) 400
Gunthardt 400
Krishnan 429
Safin 445
Stoltenberg 445
Medvedev 449
Velez (Mex, Eduardo) 456
Rios 483
Svensson 500
Kratzmann (Aus) 500
Skoch (Cze) 506
Djokovic 515
Fromberg (Aus) 516
Edberg 523
Muster 530
Krajinovic (Serb) 532
M Zverev 540
Murray 541
F Lopez 561
Lleo (Esp) 570
Volandri 577
Paloheimo 597
Young 601
Tipsarevic 602
Nishikori 603
Cilic 603

duong
11-26-2012, 05:02 PM
In recent generations the best on their 17th birthday from my file :

Generation 1995 : Nishioka 793
Generation 1994 : Jankovic 903
Generation 1993 : Rumler 712
Generation 1992 : Tomic 292
Generation 1991 : Yang Tsung-Hua 634
Generation 1990 : Elias 631
Generation 1989 : Young 601
Generation 1988 : Del Potro 209
Generation 1987 : Djokovic 515
Generation 1986 : Nadal 75
Generation 1985 : Almagro 701

fran70
11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Big test today for Quinzi against Aguilar in Future Chile13

Springer89
11-26-2012, 06:44 PM
what's your source and precise definition of "16 years old" ? :rolleyes:

Personally I have a very precise referrence : I look at rankings on the 17th birthday, and Tomic was ranked 292 on his 17th birthday (Del Potro was ranked 209)

It's definitely more precise to say that a player A is ranked #??? on his 17th birthday than to say that those are the best ranked players from generation X at the end of year in which they turned 16. Those are two answers to two different questions, both answers giving insight into emerging young players.

nole_no1
11-26-2012, 07:02 PM
There is too much hype around this kid on here and i don't get it why. Let me see him having a good run at least in the challenger tour and then we'll be talking

Sapeod
11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
This Quinzi kid has potential. Let's hope it's not another failure like Dimitrov/Harrison/Tomic.

duong
11-26-2012, 07:09 PM
It's definitely more precise to say that a player A is ranked #??? on his 17th birthday than to say that those are the best ranked players from generation X at the end of year in which they turned 16. Those are two answers to two different questions, both answers giving insight into emerging young players.

thanks I had guessed it might be that but now I'm more certain that it was what was meant in those posts.

The problem of that method is that it's not fair to players who are born in the end of the civil year and it's especially a problem at such a young age when rankings move very fast. I'm more interested in end-of-year rankings for older players. I also mentioned it here because Quinzi being born in february, this kind of method tends to over-hype him. And also saying he's 16 when actually he will be 17 in 2 months and seems to have a very tall and strong body (an early physical maturity of course has a very big impact on emerging earlier) ...

That's why I tried to compile those stats about rankings at X birthday, looking at the "rankings history" on the ATP website, but my stats are not complete, I still have a lot of players to compile, esp. in older generations.

As you could see in previous stats one of my goals is also to include players like Winistsky or Billy Martin or Nicolas Pereira (or Rumler or Yang in younger generations) who didn't succeed later in their carreer to have a more fair vision, because among those who get such a high ranking at a young age, some do have a lot of success like Nadal or Del Po but some also fail (another problem is the absence of weekly ranking stats before 1984).

n8
01-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Quinzi goes down in the battle of the two highest ranked 16 year olds (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=213196) (or 1996 born players). Kokkinakis d. (2) Quinzi 7-6(5) 2-6 8-6 in the Australian Open juniors quarter-finals.

Sombrerero loco
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
omg this is unexpected imo, even though it was hardcourts which is not quinzi´s best surface