Difference between Metz Q and St. Petersburg Q [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Difference between Metz Q and St. Petersburg Q

RNW
09-15-2012, 09:57 AM
The Q fields are very different.

Both are ATP 250 tournaments,
but the Quali Field in Metz is in a completely different league.

What are the reasons for that?
Is it really that far/ expensive to go to St. Petersburg?

Petersburg Quali has only 1 Top 500 player (!!);
while Metz Quali has many players between 100 and 200, No. 1 is Daniel Brands from Germany.

IMO there should be ranking system wo integrate the Quality of a tournaments field. The smaller tournaments should give points like
320 - Last Direct Acceptance
for the winner.

And in Qualies, there should be a rule for that as well. Like: 20 points if the advantage of players are between 100 and 200, and only 15 points for 200-300, 10 points for 300-400. Etc.

Each Top 500 could have taken a huge chance and play in St. Petersburg to try to qualify.

What do you think of a ranking system who creates individual amount of points for every small tournament?
Is that better (because more complicated) or is it just too complicated?

Slasher1985
09-15-2012, 10:01 AM
It's too complicated. The players won't be able to understand much of their ranking situation and there will always be questions asked to the ATP.

Nathaliia
09-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Perhaps the cost of visa and surely a more expensive plane ticket indeed put players off. They don't earn this much.

Also, maybe some think it's a fixed tournament and don't want to be there :awww:

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Are you dumb or what? It's way easier to come into France than going to Russia, it is not hard to understand.

It simply happens. Nothing has to be changed. If some players desire to turn into Vultures, they have to make sacrifices, although this won't help their career's developpement.

bjurra
09-15-2012, 02:50 PM
I am pretty sure some players regret not going to St P.

I think obtaining a Visa is definitely the biggest issue here, while travelling to St P is slightly more expensive than going to Metz, flying in Europe is cheap so the better chances of making the MD would more than make up for it.

motorhead
09-15-2012, 03:20 PM
vultures gonna vulture

Nr 1 Fan
09-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Your idea is actually not that stupid, the ranking system in Belgium works like this.

Nr 1 Fan
09-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Your idea is actually not that stupid, the ranking system in Belgium works like this.

philosophicalarf
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
St Pete's seems to be going down the tubes in recent years. Losing the back to back with Moscow surely only damages it more.

motorhead
09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I'd rather spend more money for St Pete as there are more hot womens

bjurra
09-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I rather thought of buying a Visa and put it together with the flight expenses.
Furthermore, I think you can't fly to Petersburg from everywhere in Europe directly.
It's possible to get cheap tickets to every place in the world sometimes.
But most Europeans can reach Metz much easier and cheaper via several airports in France, Belgium, Germany.
Scandinavia, from where you can get to Petersburg easier maybe, is sparsely populated.
Russia, Ukraine, Belorus we are not talking about. (Some players from there are even in the Qualies.)
Moreover, there are several players from western countries in the main draw - in total contrast to the Qualifying draw.
So I think the main problem is money.

No, Visa is the main problem. If buying a Visa and travelling to Russia was easy, then surely more players would have played qualifying once they realized qualifying was easier than winning a Future in Rwanda? Flying to St Petersburg is not more than 250 euro from major European cities. In fact, getting to Metz requires more planning as the city does not have an international airport.

I visited St Petersburg once and getting the Visa was a true pain in the ass. I think the ATP should put pressure on tournament organizers in St P and Moscow to help players obtaining Visas on short notice.

CooCooCachoo
09-17-2012, 01:42 PM
^^If obtaining the Visa is rather the issue than buying it, then why do many players from all over the world play the Petersburg main tournament, while hardly anybody came to the qualifying?

...As for the flight situation:
You can't fly to Petersburg from everywhere in Europe non-stop. So it's tendentially more expensive to get there than to Paris or Bruxelles.

Edit:

http://www.metz-nancy-lorraine.aeroport.fr/

Each year there is at least one player who has to withdraw due to visa issues. If I'm not mistaken, this happened to Flavio not too long ago.

Sombrerero loco
09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
its cheaper travelling to metz than to st petersburg, end of it

marquez
09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
in this context:

twitter Philipp Petzschner ‏@Petzsche

Russian embrassy in hamburg! Took us 15 min to get a visa...

Featherer
09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Each year there is at least one player who has to withdraw due to visa issues. If I'm not mistaken, this happened to Flavio not too long ago.
Of course there are issues with the Visa for Russia sometimes. That's commonly known.
Still, many players from western countries and all over the world play the Petersburg main tournament, while just one such player played the qualifying.
So the main issue is money
...well, unless the Russians particularly refused players entry, who intended to play the Qualies. :cool:

bjurra
09-17-2012, 04:36 PM
^^If obtaining the Visa is rather the issue than buying it, then why do many players from all over the world play the Petersburg main tournament, while hardly anybody came to the qualifying?

...As for the flight situation:
You can't fly to Petersburg from everywhere in Europe non-stop. So it's tendentially more expensive to get there than to Paris or Bruxelles.

Edit:

http://www.metz-nancy-lorraine.aeroport.fr/

The airport you link to is not international.

Anyway, even if it costs 150 or 200 euro more to travel to St Petersburg, the huge difference in expected prize money would more than make up for it.

bjurra
09-17-2012, 04:38 PM
in this context:

twitter Philipp Petzschner ‏@Petzsche

Russian embrassy in hamburg! Took us 15 min to get a visa...

Maybe main draw players get more help obtaining a Visa?

The average tourist can't just walk into a Russian embassy and get a Visa in 15 minutes.

Anyway Petzschner, what you visited was a consulate, not an embassy. Moron.

bjurra
09-17-2012, 06:18 PM
For example because of this airport it doesn't "require more planning" (as you said) than getting to Petersburg.

I can't see how this answers the question, that was:
If obtaining the Visa is rather the issue than buying it, then why do many players from all over the world play the Petersburg main tournament, while hardly anybody came to the qualifying?
I assume:
1. Visa isn't cheap
2. Prize money in the qualifying isn't high

No, prize money in qualifying is not high but chances to qualify for someone ranked around the 200 mark must be 2-3 times higher than in Metz. Plus the player's chances of winning a match in MD would be higher in St Petersburg. Any player with half a brain would go to St Petersburg, unless there are som obstacles. Like getting a Visa. And my guess is that organizers help MD players with Visa issues whereas the qualifiers are left to themselves.

Featherer
09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
^^Hm, so they tried to obtain a Visa but it turned out to be too difficult and they gave up?
Can it be this difficult without help - for almost all of them?

So, prize money in the qualies is low.
Maybe also accomodation in Petersburg is expensive. (In Moscow it is.)