Davis Cup Playoff Group 1 - Slovakia vs Portugal - J. Sousa d. L. Lacko 6-4 6-4 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup Playoff Group 1 - Slovakia vs Portugal - J. Sousa d. L. Lacko 6-4 6-4 6-3

Ramsay
09-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Good day for Portugal in Slovakia.

Joćo Sousa cruised against Lacko by 6-4 6-4 6-3. Played really, really well.

Klizan won against Elias by 3-6 6-2 7-6 6-2. The portuguese had a set point in the 3rd set. Tough match, Elias did the match of his life.

Two good matches, with really good tenis. The doubles will be really important.

motorhead
09-14-2012, 09:01 PM
quite shocking

bruzilio
09-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Don't agree that Elias made the game of his life. He was very consistent until *5-3 in the 3rd...Then he smashed 2 fh in the net, 1 df and another bh mistake. Really, really choked, but guess that at age 21 that's normal...
As for Sousa, he's showing some top-100 game and, most important, he seems very strong mentally. I guess that his initial years grinding hard on spanish futures is reflecting now...
Don't expect a victory tomorrow on the doubles, but they'll put some fight in it. Then it's all back to Sunday and Sousa already won vs Klizan on DC, so we have all the chances to stay on D1

Gogogog portugal!!

Dead Net Cord
09-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Was this match televised?

bruzilio
09-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Was this match televised?

:confused::confused:

Elias vs Klizan suddenly ended when Gastao was broke in the 3rd for 5-4*. Really weird...

JurajCrane
09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Good Klizan and disgraceful Lacko. Lukas should have beaten that Sousa guy, but he is playing beyond terrible ...

I expect doubles pair Mertinak/Polasek to win tomorrow and then on Sunday :

Klizan vs. Sousa - previous meeting in DC says nothing, Klizan didn“t give a shit about that match - it is even on youtube. But Klizan is better than Sousa even on clay - in San Marino he defeated him something like 64 62 - and this is slow hardcourt out there. Even if he somehow lost, I think Lacko SHOULD beat Elias on any day. But, I would rather give my money on Klizan these days.

Ramsay
09-15-2012, 01:10 AM
:confused::confused:

Elias vs Klizan suddenly ended when Gastao was broke in the 3rd for 5-4*. Really weird...

There are more streams than the official website. You just have to search. Were allways availabre.

Gastćo *was doing the match of his life

Good Klizan and disgraceful Lacko. Lukas should have beaten that Sousa guy, but he is playing beyond terrible ...

I expect doubles pair Mertinak/Polasek to win tomorrow and then on Sunday :

Klizan vs. Sousa - previous meeting in DC says nothing, Klizan didn“t give a shit about that match - it is even on youtube. But Klizan is better than Sousa even on clay - in San Marino he defeated him something like 64 62 - and this is slow hardcourt out there. Even if he somehow lost, I think Lacko SHOULD beat Elias on any day. But, I would rather give my money on Klizan these days.

You probably aren't following the improvement of Joćo Sousa this year. He's playing really well, he's better than Gil and Machado, even without injuries. QF's in Estoril, 3rd round in Barcelona, and a lot of Challengers finals.

In today's match, for me, Sousa was the favourite. Lacko is playing crap recently. On ATP Race Joćo Sousa is going to top-80. Klizan is playing REALLY well but looks really tired and acused the pression today. And, remember, Joćo Sousa and Gastćo Elias aren't so bad in hard just like was Gil and Machado. The favourite surface of Elias and Sousa is hard court, mainly because their serves. Elias fired up 17 aces today!

Elias is playing crap tennis last weeks and did this today against Klizan o did more than 45 unforced erros today, ridiculous. If Klizan plays like this against Sousa, Sousa wins, no doubts. Sousa is more agressive than Gastćo and Klizan won't have an easy job.

By the way, your doubles team is the favourite for the match. But Joćo Sousa and Gastćo Elias plays together in doubles since 12 years old. Since last year they're improving a lot and in Estoril Open lost to the 1st seeds in the match tie-break, for e.x. The portuguese pair can surprise and if that happens, the pression will be huge in Klizan. If he was already nervous today, I can't imagine if he's oblished to win on Sunday.

And Joćo Sousa never played against Klizan this year. They face just last year (when Joćo Sousa wasn't 50% of what's today)

Sombrerero loco
09-15-2012, 08:48 AM
lacko, please retire :facepalm:

Ramsay
09-15-2012, 10:50 AM
lacko, please retire :facepalm:

Can I know why?

Hian-GOAT
09-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Terrible loss for Lukas, where has his good tennis gone? :o

The Prince
09-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I love Elias and am kinda sad he didn't win today. As much as I am a huge fan of Kližan, he can surely be accused of not giving a shit about his country in DC.

Trollin Stone
09-15-2012, 11:05 AM
^Lacko fits more to this description imo.

JurajCrane
09-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I love Elias and am kinda sad he didn't win today. As much as I am a huge fan of Kližan, he can surely be accused of not giving a shit about his country in DC.

Excuse me ? He didn“t play US Open last year because of clay preparations for Ukraine tie.

Last 5 matches what I have seen - he fought hard in everyone.

Against Marchenko he lost first set, still won in 4.

Against Stakh he was trailing 3-5 in 3rd, then 3-6 in TB of that set and still won 7-6(6).

Against Evans, he was down 0-2 (16 16) and managed to get to the fifth, where he lost, unluckily.

Today, against Elias - he lost first set, he was down 3-5 in the 3rd (just like against Stakh), saving BPs at 5-5 and won 7-6(4).

And there are more examples for sure ... :)

gaitare
09-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Good day for Portugal in Slovakia.

Joćo Sousa cruised against Lacko by 6-4 6-4 6-3. Played really, really well.

Klizan won against Elias by 3-6 6-2 7-6 6-2. The portuguese had a set point in the 3rd set. Tough match, Elias did the match of his life.

Two good matches, with really good tenis. The doubles will be really important.

In fact, Elias had 0:40 on Klizan's serve in the first game of the 2nd set and a breakpoint in the next Klizan's service game.

In the 3rd set he had a setpoint at *3:5 30:40, was two points away while serving for the set, and had 2 breakpoints on Klizan's serve at 5:5. Fought hard in the tiebreak but collapsed in the 4th.

I don't understand why Elias plays on clay so much. His game suits him to be the best Portuguese hard court player in years.

JurajCrane
09-15-2012, 11:16 AM
There are more streams than the official website. You just have to search. Were allways availabre.

Gastćo *was doing the match of his life

You probably aren't following the improvement of Joćo Sousa this year. He's playing really well, he's better than Gil and Machado, even without injuries. QF's in Estoril, 3rd round in Barcelona, and a lot of Challengers finals.

In today's match, for me, Sousa was the favourite. Lacko is playing crap recently. On ATP Race Joćo Sousa is going to top-80. Klizan is playing REALLY well but looks really tired and acused the pression today. And, remember, Joćo Sousa and Gastćo Elias aren't so bad in hard just like was Gil and Machado. The favourite surface of Elias and Sousa is hard court, mainly because their serves. Elias fired up 17 aces today!

Elias is playing crap tennis last weeks and did this today against Klizan o did more than 45 unforced erros today, ridiculous. If Klizan plays like this against Sousa, Sousa wins, no doubts. Sousa is more agressive than Gastćo and Klizan won't have an easy job.

By the way, your doubles team is the favourite for the match. But Joćo Sousa and Gastćo Elias plays together in doubles since 12 years old. Since last year they're improving a lot and in Estoril Open lost to the 1st seeds in the match tie-break, for e.x. The portuguese pair can surprise and if that happens, the pression will be huge in Klizan. If he was already nervous today, I can't imagine if he's oblished to win on Sunday.

And Joćo Sousa never played against Klizan this year. They face just last year (when Joćo Sousa wasn't 50% of what's today)

Klizan wasn“t nervous, from what he told to me. It was sort of everything in first set - small mistakes there and there, Elias playing solid and Klizan not converting BPs.

And to the second bolded part : I am glad that Sousa is not a rookie already, and he can give a good fight against Klizan, but I stil think Klizan is favourtite - he plays better overall than Sousa and home crowd should help him to take this out in 4.

Even if not, Lacko really HAS TO beat Elias in 5th rubber. No matter what, if not - really new fcking low for him. (And I am counting with doubles point from today, to be honest :) )

gaitare
09-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Lacko would lose to Serena Williams on a bad day. I wouldn't put any faith in Lacko. Of course, he can deliver, but his flops are extraordinary.

Trollin Stone
09-15-2012, 11:25 AM
^whatsmore he doesnt usually put a big (bigger) effort in DC when representing Slovakia. He isnt fired up when home crowd is cheering for him etc. He simply isnt a team player like Hrbaty was.

JurajCrane
09-15-2012, 02:07 PM
^whatsmore he doesnt usually put a big (bigger) effort in DC when representing Slovakia. He isnt fired up when home crowd is cheering for him etc. He simply isnt a team player like Hrbaty was.

Couldn“t agree more. Klizan is Hrbaty-like when playing DC, he is fighting for every point. Lacko sadly, not.

But home crowd helped Lacko last year at Bratislava CH, though :)

Trollin Stone
09-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Klizan clinched the tie for Slovakia so Lacko was a non factor here, they are in the 1st EUR-AFR group for the 7th year in a row, 1996 was the last time they were lower than that.

JurajCrane
09-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Klizan again saved Slovakia in Group 1. After last year and two 4-set wins against Marchenko and Stakhovsky, this year the same.

As I said yesterday :
he(Sousa)can give a good fight against Klizan, but I stil think Klizan is favourtite - he plays better overall than Sousa and home crowd should help him to take this out in 4.

Klizan is just better player than Sousa overall and he proved that fortunately, so we were shorted from seeing Lacko fighting against Elias in 5-set epic for third point. :)