When Tomic turns 20 in one month, who will be the best teenager on tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When Tomic turns 20 in one month, who will be the best teenager on tour?

sexybeast
09-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Jack Sock and Tomic turns 20 very soon, does anyone know which teenager has a good chanse to enter the top 200 this or next year?

Someone who follows juniors tennis better than me, a quick look at the ranking and I couldnt find any 93s at all anywhere close to top 200. Who is the best teenager on tour born later than 93?

jcempire
09-14-2012, 03:34 PM
who knows! Both has huge upside potential

Henry Chinaski
09-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Jason Kubler.

challenger qf this week so should enter the top 300 despite missing 4 months of the season so far with inju

TennisOnWood
09-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Guilherme Clezar was born 31th December 1992 so he will be best teenager at the end of the season, ahead od guys born in 1993. And yeah, Jason is doing great progress

Trollin Stone
09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Another one is Jiri Vesely at #322 but he hasnt achieved anything in challengers this year so far... Only in futures

duong
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
number of ATP points in the Race if I'm not mistaken :

1. Guilherme Clezar (Bras) 138
2. Jiri Vesely (Cze) 137
3. Taro Daniel (Jap) 116 (a Japanese who plays mostly futures in Spain, which is brave, I think, also because most of them are 10 K futures then give few points despite good draws mostly on clay)
4. Jason Kubler (Aus) 108 who looks good but has been injured for a while, still in the draw in Todi at the moment

A young Korean, who had been injured, is also coming back : Jeong Suk Yong, he's in semifinal in Ningbo challenger at the moment and has 92 ATP points since the 1st of january

Roberto Carballes-Baena, a Spaniard, is also near them, has also been injured, I think.

Luke Saville, another younger Australian, is also near 90 ATP points in the Race.

Another Brasilian who was promising, Tiago Fernandes, has been in a mess for a while.

Chris Kuerten
09-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Prepare for the dark ages of tennis when the current generation retires.

sexybeast
09-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Have we ever had a top 200 without any teenager before?

The 90-92 generation seems atleast a bit better than the 93-94, there were a bunch of them in the top 200 a couple of years ago.

TennisOnWood
09-14-2012, 04:24 PM

The 90-92 generation seems atleast a bit better than the 93-94, there were a bunch of them in the top 200 a couple of years ago.

2009 and 2010 were first years since 1973 without teenagers in Year end Top 100. Bernard and Ryan were in that group last year and who knows when we will get another teen in Top 100 at the end of the year

Not sure for Top 200 though, but it doesn't look good at the moment. Only Tomic, Harrison and Marti were in Top 200 as teens at the end of 2011.

duong
09-14-2012, 04:29 PM

yes true, it's worrying :sad:

Ouragan
09-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Your answer here: http://live-tennis.eu/rankings_under_21 : Clezar, Mitchell and Kubler. 2 Aussies there.

Smoke944
09-14-2012, 04:41 PM
96-98 will make up for 93-95 so whatever.

Fed fordawin
09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Whoever of Fed/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray retires last will win a zillion GS because none of these youngsters is stopping them.

Slice Winner
09-14-2012, 04:54 PM
number of ATP points in the Race if I'm not mistaken :

1. Guilherme Clezar (Bras) 138
2. Jiri Vesely (Cze) 137
3. Taro Daniel (Jap) 116 (a Japanese who plays mostly futures in Spain, which is brave, I think, also because most of them are 10 K futures then give few points despite good draws mostly on clay)
4. Jason Kubler (Aus) 108 who looks good but has been injured for a while, still in the draw in Todi at the moment

A young Korean, who had been injured, is also coming back : Jeong Suk Yong, he's in semifinal in Ningbo challenger at the moment and has 92 ATP points since the 1st of january

Roberto Carballes-Baena, a Spaniard, is also near them, has also been injured, I think.

Luke Saville, another younger Australian, is also near 90 ATP points in the Race.

Another Brasilian who was promising, Tiago Fernandes, has been in a mess for a while.

Any of them with a single hander?

Springer89
09-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Any of them with a single hander?
No. Highest ranked teenager with a single hander is Thiem.

Time Violation
09-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Whoever of Fed/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray retires last will win a zillion GS because none of these youngsters is stopping them.

Laver won his open era CYGS when he was 31 :p

Pirata.
09-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Tiago :hysteric:

mooncreek
09-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Fascinating to think about this as a 16 year old just made a WTA final in her very first event. I can't even picture a male player born 1993 on accomplishing that feat. Vesely is the only player that comes to mind that's made even a ripple.

Then again, the question comes up about Filip Peliwo going onto the tour next year. You make all four GS junior finals, there isn't much reason to stay at that level.

Johnny Groove
09-14-2012, 06:29 PM
In modern tennis, peak years are going back.

You figure in a 12- 14 year career, 2-3 years coming up, 8 years of peak, and 2-3 in decline. 23-25/26 coming up, 25/26-33/34 peak years, 33/34-35/36 being decline years and however long the players wants to hang on for, marriage, whether he has started a family yet, love of the game, but generally, this will be the formula going forward.

Maybe a guy starts his climb at age 18, peak from 20/21-28/29, decline from 28/29-31/32. Of course some guys take longer coming up and less time declining before calling it quits, and then some others have longer or shorter peaks, but I think generally this is what's going on.

Federer in 2
09-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Prepare for the dark ages of tennis when the current generation retires.

This!

Jimnik
09-14-2012, 06:35 PM
It must have been decades since there were no teenagers in the top 200.

The new ranking points distribution introduced in 2009 is partly to blame. But bottom line, this new generation really sucks.

Shame A-Rod didn't keep going. Might have won Wimbledon aged 33.

TennisOnWood
09-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Fascinating to think about this as a 16 year old just made a WTA final in her very first event. I can't even picture a male player born 1993 on accomplishing that feat. Vesely is the only player that comes to mind that's made even a ripple.

Then again, the question comes up about Filip Peliwo going onto the tour next year. You make all four GS junior finals, there isn't much reason to stay at that level.

Players born in 1993 played few ATP matches this year.. chance to some of them make final is zero

Johnny Groove
09-14-2012, 06:49 PM
I think Andres Artunedo Martinavarr could be good, but I've never seen him play, just results.

Also the Brazilians have Clezar, Bruno Sant'anna, Thiago Monteiro, the Aussie Saville, the Brit Golding, the Croat Mate Pavic.

Then, outside the top 500, we have the Jr. Harrison, Christian, who's actually 499, another Brazilian Sorgi, and then the 17 year old Adam Pavlasek, the top ranked 17 year old Czech, at 524.

Brazil has some talent coming up.

TennisOnWood
09-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I think Andres Artunedo Martinavarr could be good, but I've never seen him play, just results.

Also the Brazilians have Clezar, Bruno Sant'anna, Thiago Monteiro, the Aussie Saville, the Brit Golding, the Croat Mate Pavic.

Then, outside the top 500, we have the Jr. Harrison, Christian, who's actually 499, another Brazilian Sorgi, and then the 17 year old Adam Pavlasek, the top ranked 17 year old Czech, at 524.

Whole South America does, Argentina more than others

Slasher1985
09-14-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm glad you asked this question. Behold, the current live U19 rankings table, also featuring DOB:

https://pm1q0g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pWwE7ZU7WteWfTOZkmSgyCRhDM_gFrzET1x6T5b4W8xkbZQY _bDAtEL2t7m7bxKTC6bbDZgJs1wGpolJNNoPeAsYwPiX99sgh/U19_14_09_2012.png?psid=1

Jimnik
09-14-2012, 07:18 PM
No-one under the age of 18 in the top 500. This really will be a long mug era.

Federer could win slams and Olympic Gold in 2016.

Fleck
09-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Pavlasek, Saville, Broady and Peliwo are all top20-30 talents but at current stage they lack power. There is really huge difference between junior and senior tennis when it comes to strength.
Coppejans should also be atp player.

Time Violation
09-14-2012, 07:26 PM
No-one under the age of 18 in the top 500. This really will be a long mug era.

And only 5 of them in top 1000

Slasher1985
09-14-2012, 07:33 PM
And only 5 of them in top 1000

8 actually: Pavlasek, Sanjurjo Hermida, Nishioka, Edmund, Jankovic, Kokkinakis, Alcaraz Ivorra and Veger. Quinzi, Bambridge, Paz and Trongcharoenchaikul will enter Top 1000 on September 24. Ciorcila will remain very near Top 1000. He is the Top 15-year-old, but will be 16 on September 20.

Time Violation
09-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Jankovic will be 18 in two weeks ;)

Slice Winner
09-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Is Saville gonna be just another Ebden/Matosevic?

Vinceremo
09-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Whole South America does, Argentina more than others

True. In general though, the 90-92 generation definitely looks more promising and stronger than 93-94 like it was said before.

Sorgi could be good, saw him earlier this year through a stream playing on hard courts and was surprised to see how good he could play at times. Lots of ballbashing and inconsistent play of course but, still, generating massive power from the back of the court, hitting many clean winners and a strong first serve too. Great potential IMO.

duong
09-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Anyway, Peliwo will not be allowed to play junior tournaments next year : too old, he played junior tournaments until the limit age.

But he also played adult tournaments, futures and challengers like his fellows from his age.

As for young talents, from my stats, Brasilians look quite as good as Argentinians to me. South America is improving generally.

Time Violation
09-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Btw, question for more knowledgeable folks, compared to one or two years ago, is Tomic doing something better/is he progressing in some ways or still the same?

bjurra
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Btw, question for more knowledgeable folks, compared to one or two years ago, is Tomic doing something better/is he progressing in some ways or still the same?

He started the year well but since then he regressed to the same level he had in 2011.

Beta2k
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
please see here for 96/95/94 atp rankings: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12430365&postcount=60
and here for 93/92 atp rankings: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12430369&postcount=46

sexybeast
09-17-2012, 08:09 PM

He is worse than before because he lacks confidence in his game compared to 1-2 years ago, he is starting to realize his limitations and that he probably wont ever reach the top while before he was confident on his game and promising future. I notice he does more stupid mistakes than before, have more lapses of concentration where he plays horrible tennis.

It is pretty much the same with other limited youths like Dimitrov and Young, confidence was gone when they realized they wouldnt reach the heights that was promised to them and they started playing horrible tennis.

Harrison plays exactly the same as he did some 18 months ago, really no improvement or decline in this youth, he is just consistantly avarage. I feel like he is a mix of hardworker+arrogant youth (probably because of his lack of talent), unlike those other who are just arrogant without any work ethic.

Nishikori and Raonic represent the youth who have been steadily improving their game year after year, more of hardworkers without any fantasies about beeing a bigshot unlike those other mentioned.

duong
09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
He is worse than before because he lacks confidence in his game compared to 1-2 years ago, he is starting to realize his limitations and that he probably wont ever reach the top while before he was confident on his game and promising future. I notice he does more stupid mistakes than before, have more lapses of concentration where he plays horrible tennis.

Tomic clearly has mental and motivation concerns, but surely comes from many aspects, including his relationship with his father (remember the "give him a warning for coaching" asked to Mourier :lol: )

sexybeast
09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Tomic clearly has mental and motivation concerns, but surely comes from many aspects, including his relationship with his father (remember the "give him a warning for coaching" asked to Mourier :lol: )

Yes, it is concerning that he cant deal with this problem. His father beeing family and all, reminds me of a certain Donald Young.

His father and the australian media put in his mind that he is far greater than he really is, must be emotionally disturbing to someone that young to discover that is not the case. He expected earlier this year to be "just behind" the top 4 and expected to be among them at the end of the year, clearly dellusional and this causes a setback when you dont come anywhere near your expextations. Young thought he would break Sampras' 14 slams record when he was 15 and wanted to win all slams "atleast twice", that is just absurd goals to set when you havent even proven your worth against the pros.

Nishikori and Raonic have very humble expectations, like I remember Nishikori wanted to break the japanese record of beeing ranked in top 40 or something one year ago and Raonic feels also like someone who expects nothing more than slow progress and to be the best he can be wherever that will take him.

Time Violation
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Yes, it is concerning that he cant deal with this problem. His father beeing family and all, reminds me of a certain Donald Young.

Well, Dokic was another Australian with a weirdo father, but her career pretty much went down the drain after they split.

Asadinator
09-18-2012, 02:35 AM
People catch on slowly. I said this ages ago, there is nobody in the younger generations.

How can you compare 90-92 to 93-94 generation, when there is nobody to select for comparison in 93-94. Tomic/Harrison vs who??

Tomic won a challenger aged 16, which was after he won 1st round at AO. Meanwhile these 18 year old youngsters have not even come close to that. They barely manage to win Future matches.

sexybeast
09-18-2012, 07:21 AM
People catch on slowly. I said this ages ago, there is nobody in the younger generations.

How can you compare 90-92 to 93-94 generation, when there is nobody to select for comparison in 93-94. Tomic/Harrison vs who??

Tomic won a challenger aged 16, which was after he won 1st round at AO. Meanwhile these 18 year old youngsters have not even come close to that. They barely manage to win Future matches.

It is true, but Tomic was great for his age at 16 but with almost no evolution in his game he has become stuck in time. Maybe some 93-94s can do some evolution through hardwork but that will certanly not place them among greats, maybe someone can do a laterun evolution to top 15 or something in 4-5 years and I would like to know what to expect from what is available just outside top 300 where they seem stacked.

I had heard of Harrison, Dimitrov, Tomic, Nishikori and company when they were 18 so I just want to hear something about someone currently at that age, even if he is not up to their (rather low) standard.

This australian kid Jason Kubler, Denis Novikov who impressed some in Usopen (missed his match) and the 93 former junior nr1 Jiri Vesely seems a good place to start, or should we just jump right away to Quinzi and the 17-year old japanese and forget about current 18-19 year olds?

TennisOnWood
09-18-2012, 08:45 AM
It is true, but Tomic was great for his age at 16 but with almost no evolution in his game he has become stuck in time. Maybe some 93-94s can do some evolution through hardwork but that will certanly not place them among greats, maybe someone can do a laterun evolution to top 15 or something in 4-5 years and I would like to know what to expect from what is available just outside top 300 where they seem stacked.

I had heard of Harrison, Dimitrov, Tomic, Nishikori and company when they were 18 so I just want to hear something about someone currently at that age, even if he is not up to their (rather low) standard.

This australian kid Jason Kubler, Denis Novikov who impressed some in Usopen (missed his match) and the 93 former junior nr1 Jiri Vesely seems a good place to start, or should we just jump right away to Quinzi and the 17-year old japanese and forget about current 18-19 year olds?

Here is part of Denises match.. he is first player born in 1993 with Grand Slam win

WwM24AKmI3A&feature=g-u-u

sexybeast
09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Here is part of Denises match.. he is first player born in 1993 with Grand Slam win

WwM24AKmI3A&feature=g-u-u

Very aggressive but a little bit erratic and out of control, also very much temperamental out there on the court. Dont know what to think about him, certanly some potential to climb if he finds his rythm on court. He reminds me a bit of Dolgo but without all the slices, I also dont like his tecnique on the forehand.

duong
09-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I watched a long part of his match and Novikov looked good against Benneteau indeed (he didn't look temperamental to me), but apart from that, he has done absolutely NOTHING. He can make good shots but clearly he has movement problems, whereas movement is crucial in modern tennis.

Last week, he lost in the second round of a future.

Anyway, as someone said earlier, there's no huge talent in these generations then it will all be about working and maturing with time, then I don't think getting very enthusiastic about one player in one match is a good attitude. Besides, there are many players people don't know, and consistency is absolutely crucial in modern tennis.

Sombrerero loco
09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
kubler is the best by far, clearly underranked, but he has great shots from the baseline

also taro daniel is really good, defensive basliner and counterpouncher, great tennis to watch, imo

Sombrerero loco
09-18-2012, 10:09 AM
8 actually: Pavlasek, Sanjurjo Hermida, Nishioka, Edmund, Jankovic, Kokkinakis, Alcaraz Ivorra and Veger. Quinzi, Bambridge, Paz and Trongcharoenchaikul will enter Top 1000 on September 24. Ciorcila will remain very near Top 1000. He is the Top 15-year-old, but will be 16 on September 20.

yeah and sanjurjo is there because starace retired against him in madrid qualies, he sucks besides that :rolleyes:

duong
09-18-2012, 10:22 AM
kubler is the best by far, clearly underranked, but he has great shots from the baseline

yes, many people say that and his results are quite consistent when he plays, he was injured for a while.

The younger Australian Saville is having a good road in futures tournaments at the moment.

Speaking of Asians, the Korean Jeong Suk Yong had been the most precocious player to improve in the rankings playing good futures in 2009 then was sidelined probably because of injury, his return is good, he reached the final of Ningbo challenger last week after qualifying.

Nothing extraordinary but he had been forgotten for a while (also because he played few junior grand slams, always focused on the adult tour), nice that he comes back.

Asadinator
09-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Saville is losing easily to anyone decent he faces in futures though. In fact I don't think he has any good wins yet in senior level.

Asadinator
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM

He is almost Tomic's age though :lol:

Wing Man Frank
09-18-2012, 02:15 PM

also taro daniel is really good, defensive basliner and counterpouncher, great tennis to watch, imo

Kubler's 19 and done absolutely nothing at the challengers level. He lost yesterday to the mighty Kamil Capkovic ffs.

Taro Daniel? The same Taro Daniel beaten 6-0, 6-3 by Cervantes the other day and who has one challenger level win? Do me a favour.

Sombrerero loco
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
taro has only played 2 challengers so far, please bitch...

Wing Man Frank
09-18-2012, 06:40 PM

Who has? Kubler? Wrong. He's played three. Been knocked out the first round in two, and in the other beat Daniele Giorgini and Volandri. Excuse me if I don't get too excited.

Time Violation
09-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Yea, but he's almost 20, only 2 challengers and 1 win at that point isn't exactly encouraging.

Henry Chinaski
09-18-2012, 07:01 PM
alex bolt is another aussie prospect whose results as of yet are nothing special at all.

according to fabio fognini's father of all people, he has absolutely massive potential on clay.

but I hear fognini senior is as big a clown as his son so it's hard to know what to make of his recommendation.

duong
09-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Yea, but he's almost 20, only 2 challengers and 1 win at that point isn't exactly encouraging.

I don't understand how people judge a player on "playing challengers" : for that either you have a wild-card and it's a gift, or you have the proper ranking and you enter a weak-field challenger.

What I mean is that the ranking and the ranking points are much more relevant than "playing challengers".

As far as Taro Daniel is concerned, no he's not sensational but he's better than some players who have won a match in main tour qualies (see Sanjurjo Hermida), as he spent most of his time in Spanish futures on clay where it's really hard to make points as the fields are tough and the points cheap (most of them are 10K futures).

Sombrerero loco
09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Who has? Kubler? Wrong. He's played three. Been knocked out the first round in two, and in the other beat Daniele Giorgini and Volandri. Excuse me if I don't get too excited.

i was talking about taro :spit:

Sombrerero loco
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
well maybe kubler, vesely and taro suck for many people here but they are still the best 3 ranked players from 1993, so you should give some credit to them

jcempire
09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Dennis Novikov should have great future...
but It would take time to prove

v-money
09-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Gotta be Adam Pavlasek. I haven't ever seen him play and I think his rank is really poor right now, but the dude is 17 years old and dating 22 year-old slam winner, Petra Kvitova. I actually think that he was 16 and dating her when she won Wimbledon at 21. Either this kid is hung like Steps or he's a very talented player. You don't see Kvitova dating choking mugs like Berdych.

At 17, he's actually progressing quite well. May be the highest ranked player at his age.

Ben D.
09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Djokovic, Murray, even Gasquet & Monfils had achieved 10-times more things than all the top 100 youngsters at the same stage. Goffin is the only guy relevant and his more like a Davydenko type.

Wing Man Frank
09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
i was talking about taro :spit:

You're wrong there too. But I can't be bothered to show you up again.

TennisOnWood
09-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Djokovic, Murray, even Gasquet & Monfils had achieved 10-times more things than all the top 100 youngsters at the same stage. Goffin is the only guy relevant and his more like a Davydenko type.

Tennis is dead if Goffin is future of the sport

Hypnotize
09-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Goffin will be 22 this year, only managed to crack the top 100 a few months ago and has struggled to win matches recently. He is far from relevant. :rolleyes:

Sombrerero loco
09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
You're wrong there too. But I can't be bothered to show you up again.

he has only played 2 challengers md, i tell u again. just look at his profile :wavey:

Wing Man Frank
09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
he has only played 2 challengers md, i tell u again. just look at his profile :wavey:

My mistake, you are correct.

Had a check and realised I thought it was more because he'd been knocked out of the first round of qualifying in two challengers.

Even more impressive.

Henry Chinaski
09-19-2012, 07:05 PM
22 is the new 18

Time Violation
09-19-2012, 07:40 PM

He also played 150 futures matches and yet almost zero challengers? I don't think there are many top 100 players with that kind of stat, if any.

TennisOnWood
09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Its nothing strange.. young players can't do anything in Challenger level

Sombrerero loco
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
He also played 150 futures matches and yet almost zero challengers? I don't think there are many top 100 players with that kind of stat, if any.

as far as i know, taro is ranked 300 something, not top 100 :rolleyes:

Time Violation
09-19-2012, 09:06 PM
as far as i know, taro is ranked 300 something, not top 100 :rolleyes:

You don't say :D I mean, you won't find many present top 100 players with that many futures matches in their career, I did try to find, but the usual number was 25-50 or so and I gave up :p

Sombrerero loco
09-19-2012, 09:26 PM
then he will be the first top 100 to achieve that in some years?
good then

Time Violation
09-19-2012, 09:57 PM
No idea whether he's the first, but it's not going to be many of them for sure. That is, if he gets to top 100, he's some 200 places short at the moment :)

Ouragan
09-19-2012, 11:53 PM
The current top 4 can keep trusting the slams until 2020 at this rate. Generation 92-93 is worthless.

Topspindoctor
09-20-2012, 01:40 AM
LoL!! Nadal was a GS champ at 19. Tomug can't win a 250 at 20. "Future of tennis" my ass. Best teenager on tour? When you compare crap vs crap the outcome is still crap.

atennisfan
09-20-2012, 02:05 AM
And at the age of 20, lleyton Hewitt was already ranked #1.

james82
09-20-2012, 02:37 AM
The current top 4 can keep trusting the slams until 2020 at this rate. Generation 92-93 is worthless.

too early to tell as of yet,Mtf though love to put players down anyways cause its the "cool" thing to do

james82
09-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Kubler's 19 and done absolutely nothing at the challengers level. He lost yesterday to the mighty Kamil Capkovic ffs.

Taro Daniel? The same Taro Daniel beaten 6-0, 6-3 by Cervantes the other day and who has one challenger level win? Do me a favour.

just cause a player doesnt come out and make it at 16 doesnt mean they wont be good
the game has changed to much and tennis players arent gonna be teenage superstars anymore even raonic was 20 when he actually started to get into the top 150

the next era will be more like 98-03 era which makes things so much more exciting than having 2-3 domminate players

duong
09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
You don't say :D I mean, you won't find many present top 100 players with that many futures matches in their career, I did try to find, but the usual number was 25-50 or so and I gave up :p

if so, none or nearly of current young players will make it to top-100. Is it possible ? no.

What would be the only way for them to avoid that ? wild-cards or weak-field challengers (esp. in south America and Asia)

What would it proove if they played them ? nothing.

The futures he plays in Spain have good fields.

PS : I checked, Raonic played around 120 matches in futures, including qualifying draws.

Sombrerero loco
09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
if so, none or nearly of current young players will make it to top-100. Is it possible ? no.

What would be the only way for them to avoid that ? wild-cards or weak-field challengers (esp. in south America and Asia)

What would it proove if they played them ? nothing.

The futures he plays in Spain have good fields.

PS : I checked, Raonic played around 120 matches in futures, including qualifying draws.

owned :angel:

Time Violation
09-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Yea, I know, but he's even beyond that. Moreover, does he have Raonic's serve? I don't think so.

duong
09-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Yea, I know, but he's even beyond that. Moreover, does he have Raonic's serve? I don't think so.

I just meant that currently most of the youngsters struggle a long time in futures to get to a ranking good enough to take part in challengers, unless they get a wild-card.

Even when they have a good potential, and Raonic was quite an extreme example for that, but who came to my mind because I remembered watching him in futures' draws for a long time.

I could say the same for Goffin actually.

The main question is their difficulty to improve their rankings, playing futures or challengers is just a consequence unless wild-card.

Johnny Groove
09-20-2012, 07:07 PM
And at the age of 20, lleyton Hewitt was already ranked #1.

Yeah, and he was done basically by 26-27.

Guys these days will begin their rise later, and play well into their 30's.

Those looking for teenage champions these days may be disappointed.