Will Fedal win a slam in 2013? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Fedal win a slam in 2013?

Sri
09-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Or will 2013 be the first time since 2002 when neither have won a slam?

* Both will win at least one slam
* Only Fed will win
* Only Nadal will win
* Neither

(Mods please add a poll)

Sri
09-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Factors that come into play:

External factors:

* Emergence of Murray as a slam champ
* Revenge of Nole after a relatively subdued 2012
* DelPotro will be fit again
* Raonic (or some other youngster) will come into his own

Internal factors:

* Nadal too weak / lacks confidence after laying off in second half of 2012
* Federer, 32, will fall

But...

* Nadal is still a clay beast
* Consistenterer will be consistent in reaching slam SFs and Fs and will have a chance

shumpy
09-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Who knows? But I hope Roger wins one.

GhostUnholy
09-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Next year is probably the first year where there's a reasonable chance that they won't. That said its still far more likely that one of them will still pick one up. Between age, injuries, and much more inconsistency from both of them (relative to their prime seasons) though they don't have long

Sri
09-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Next year is probably the first year where there's a reasonable chance that they won't. That said its still far more likely that one of them will still pick one up. Between age, injuries, and much more inconsistency from both of them (relative to their prime seasons) though they don't have long
Agreed, Rafa has the best chance at RG. Whereas I'd expect Rog to be consistent at all slams reaching SFs / Fs in some of them

Allez
09-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Nolandy strikes back. Fedal has no chance in 2013.

Satasonic
09-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Delusional are the people that say Fedal wont win a slam in 2013. Are you serious? If Federer had a bit of a slump and still won a slam in 2012, and Kneedull the clay beast won RG in 2012, you can be sure that Fedal will not only win one slam, but they will win one slam each.

The better question is can Djokovic and Murray win a slam in 2013? Djokovic is still the overwhelming favorite in AO, but will Murray have any chance to fluke another slam whatsoever?

And you never, ever bet against Nadal in RG.

Sri
09-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Delusional are the people that say Fedal wont win a slam in 2013. Are you serious? If Federer had a bit of a slump and still won a slam in 2012, and Kneedull the clay beast won RG in 2012, you can be sure that Fedal will not only win one slam, but they will win one slam each.

The better question is can Djokovic and Murray win a slam in 2013? Djokovic is still the overwhelming favorite in AO, but will Murray have any chance to fluke another slam whatsoever?

And you never, ever bet against Nadal in RG.
Everybody's time comes to an end.

Litotes
09-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Internal factors:

* Nadal too weak / lacks confidence after laying off in second half of 2012
* Federer, 32, will fall

Nadal doesn't need a good runup to the clay season to dominate there. Even if he should be too rusty, that should mainly affect the clay masters tournaments. By RG, he should be match fit again. Barring unforeseen escalation of his injuries.

Federer will be 31 for three of four slams next year. He is old enough, in tennis terms, without people talking his age up further. As for his chances, I think the should be good. Next year he'll have an entirely free hand to play what he wants. It is not far-fetched to see him giving less priority no #1 now that he has got the record, focusing fully on the slams.

I would be very surprised to see both of them titleless in 2013.

astafjevs
09-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Nadal will win RG if fit. Or half-fit.

Federer will lose to Murray at Wimbledon at whatever stage they meet.

jcempire
09-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Who knows? But I hope Roger wins one.

I go with you

Sri
09-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Federer will be 31 for three of four slams next year. He is old enough, in tennis terms, without people talking his age up further. As for his chances, I think the should be good. Next year he'll have an entirely free hand to play what he wants. It is not far-fetched to see him giving less priority no #1 now that he has got the record, focusing fully on the slams.

Actually that's a good point, I had overlooked the fact that Federer can cherry pick the tournaments he wants to play in.

A bit of a disadvantage here for Nadal. Maybe the rule should not be based on age, but by the number of matches played on tour.

Johnbert
09-14-2012, 06:47 AM
i'm convinced one of the two will win rg or wimby :cool:

finishingmove
09-14-2012, 07:01 AM
nadal could win any of the first three. federer - not rly

jcempire
09-14-2012, 07:08 AM

Can Nadal be back? would see 100% nadal again or 80% or 70%?

We all seen peak Nadal in 2008. then ....starts to fall

Dmitry Verdasco
09-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Provided both are fit by Roland Garros, one of them will win that for sure.

The others I don't know.

hipolymer
09-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Nole will accomplish CYGS.:D

Zelyony
09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Nadal yes.
Roger... I don't know

BroTree123
09-14-2012, 08:03 AM

:topic:

paseo
09-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Who exactly will challenge Nadal at RG in this pathetically weak clay era? The 2nd best claycourter for the last 6-7 years is a serve only-no backhand ballerina who has a major match up disadvantage. Nadal will win RG with one knee. Book it.

duong
09-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I think many spoke of an "era change" with Fed and Nadal not taking part in a slam semi for the first time since the FO 2004,

but as soon as Nadal comes back and wins (from clay season I think), this will be long gone.

I would like Murray to win more than Nadal from now on, but if you try to think more, there are more chances for Nadal to win slams next year than for Murray. Just because Nadal has won 11 of them and Murray has won a slam at an age such that only Vilas won 4 slams after getting his first slam that old.

As for Federer, it would be a great performance from him to win a slam next year. Only Agassi in modern times (Ashe previously) won a slam that old, and he clearly didn't have the same competitors.

I still hope so yet as he's clearly still able to do it.

Then my answer is yes : Nadal will probably and Fed will maybe win a slam in 2013.

duong
09-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Actually that's a good point, I had overlooked the fact that Federer can cherry pick the tournaments he wants to play in.

A bit of a disadvantage here for Nadal. Maybe the rule should not be based on age, but by the number of matches played on tour.

the rule is based on both, but anyway this rule is only about money, Nadal can still skip whichever MS1000 tournament he wants whatever his complaints in the media. Other players regularly skip MS1000 tournaments like that without making any fuss.

atennisfan
09-14-2012, 08:48 AM

The rule is not only based age, but also on number of matches played, AND number of years on the tour.

These three conditions must be fulfilled before you have an exemption.

GSMnadal
09-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Nadal has a great shot at all of them, RG is almost a given, Fed might sneak in another wimbledon.

duarte_a
09-14-2012, 09:54 AM

I thought it was murray that was going to win the CYGS...:scratch:

duarte_a
09-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Nadal has a great shot at all of them.

No.

RG is almost a given.

Yes.

Fed might rightfully win another wimbledon.

Yes.

Federer in 2
09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
They will win most of them.

Slade
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Nadal will win RG (maybe AO as well) and Fed maybe Wimbledon or USO

Sri
09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Safe to say Fedaltard forum. I belong here. :)

ApproachShot
09-14-2012, 10:54 AM
I sure think that at least one of them can win at least one major next year.

GSMnadal
09-14-2012, 10:56 AM
No.

Why not?

AO? Last time finalist, only losing in a fifth set
RG? Clay GOAT
Wimbledon? 3 time finalist, 2 time champion in the last 6 times he played. Think that counts as having a great shot
USO? Finalist and champion last two times he played.

He can win every single one of them. It all depends how he returns from injury, but if he's at 90% of his former self, he's in with a great shout at the slams.

Cereal Killer
09-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I think Nadal will most definitely win RG again.

Roy Emerson
09-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Fedal have great chances at the slams played on natural surfaces which are friendlier for their aging bodies. Both will be looking for an 8th title are their respective best slam.

HC are for Murray, Djokovic and even Del Potro these days. The grinding on slow HC like AO and now the USO:rolleyes: will be too much for Fedal.

Nr 1 Fan
09-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Yes.

TigerTim
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Nadal could channel swing

Federer could strikerer at Wimbledon.

RG is the best bet.

manadrainer
09-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Nadal is a lock for RG. Just look at the record he has there. I don't see anyone beating Nadal at RG.

jcempire
09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Nadal is a lock for RG. Just look at the record he has there. I don't see anyone beating Nadal at RG.

the question is how Nadal return next year?

biggest question after this injury. Enough Gas left. He will turn 27 next year with not 100% body.

GhostUnholy
09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Exactly. We don't really know how well he's going to recover, or at what point he's going to come back, and where his game will be at that time. I know he's had knee problems before many times but at some point he's going to stop recovering as well. Many great athletes in many sports have been derailed by injury before, I wouldn't be shocked if its Nadal's turn now. I hope not but you never know.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-14-2012, 03:56 PM
nadal will win rg

federer........ sadly- i doubt he still has it in him
its all about federer's desire to win slams- he's got the record- he's goat by a mile- hes got 2 beautful girls- he's know as the greatest talent ever- what does federer want?

uxyzapenje
09-14-2012, 03:58 PM
3 Slams to Murrovic, 1 for Fedal

Jimnik
09-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Rogafa Fedal still has it in him. One slam at least.

abraxas21
09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
yes

Greatness
09-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Rafa will probably win at least one slam.

Federer can only get to the final as long as he's not in Rafa's half. However, if Federer makes it to the final and has to face Rafa then Nadal will win multiple slams next year.

Sham Kay
09-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Going for one each again. One slam each for Andy and Nole again as well. They could end up mixing it up this time:

AO: Andy
FO: Roger
Wimbly: Paella
USO: Novak

dazed1
09-14-2012, 10:02 PM

True form of hate.

GOATsol
09-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Noserer might not win another slam, but I'm really hoping for Wimbledon.

Dull win win the French duh

And Del Potro for the USO!!!

EliSter
09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Nadal is back next year so Federer wont win anything. Nadal RG maybe or Wimby. Tho i see new RG champion next year.

Mountaindewslave
09-14-2012, 10:41 PM

what??? what is up with you guys, Federer has had just as solid as season as his last few, there are no real indications that much has changed from him. Nadal was having possibly the most successful season of any player on tour up until Wimbledon and his injury issues; his form obviously has not dissapeared but he has a temporary physical defect.

who knows, maybe the two won't play that well next season, but this season certainly is not any strong indicator of the two declining except possibly indicating that Nadal should make a more easy going schedule of tournaments to play.

I think they will probably each win one next year but then again who can predict such things reliably, this is one of the most unpredictable sports out there, despite the formality of the last # of seasons

Certinfy
09-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Nadal has a good chance at RG regardless of anything so I'll say yes.

Chase Visa
09-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Yes, Nadal's still favoured for RG. Not sure about Fed though.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Noserer has no chance to fluke a slam next year. Nadal is a lock for RG and has a good chance at Wimbledon and USO.

Mechlan
09-15-2012, 02:10 AM
Going to go out on a limb and say no. I think Djokovic will bounce back and win multiple slams, and Murray has enough confidence to pull another slam out.

If Rafa wins a slam next year, will he be the first person to ever win a slam in 9 consecutive years?

Sri
09-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Going to go out on a limb and say no. I think Djokovic will bounce back and win multiple slams, and Murray has enough confidence to pull another slam out.

If Rafa wins a slam next year, will he be the first person to ever win a slam in 9 consecutive years?
Yep.

Mark Lenders
09-15-2012, 02:39 AM
I'm going to say no.

Djokovic for AO.
Del Potro for FO.
Murray/Tsonga/Berdych for Wimbledon
Djokovic/Murray for USO

Nadal will fail in his quest to become the first man to win the same Slam 8 times and also the first man to win at least one Slam nine years in a row. His recent injury problems sure won't help fulfill this mission.

Federer will continue his slow decline. 2013 might be the first year since 2003 without Federer in a Slam final, although he might make one like 2012 and 2011.

xargon
09-15-2012, 02:39 AM
. I think Djokovic will bounce back and win multiple slams

Yes, I agree here. He'll come back stronger.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2012, 02:42 AM
I'm going to say no.

Djokovic for AO.
Del Potro for FO.
Djokovic/Murray for USO

Nadal will fail in his quest to become the first man to win the same Slam 8 times and also the first man to win at least one Slam nine years in a row. His recent injury problems sure won't help fulfill this mission.

Federer will continue his slow decline. 2013 might be the first year since 2003 without Federer in a Slam final, although he might make one like 2012 and 2011.

Del Potro will never even approach a slam final ever again, much less win RG trophy. And Clownga winning Wimbledon? Are you talking about playstation or real life?

ssj100
09-15-2012, 02:43 AM
Noserer has no chance to fluke a slam next year. Nadal is a lock for RG and has a good chance at Wimbledon and USO.

You're trying to jinx Fakerer again - he'll probably win the French Open this time :devil:

Joking aside, as I said, I've never been wrong - Nadal to win all 4 slams next year and win the next 6-8 French Opens. Quote me if I'm wrong - I've never been wrong on these forums ever.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2012, 02:47 AM
You're trying to jinx Fakerer again - he'll probably win the French Open this time :devil:

Joking aside, as I said, I've never been wrong - Nadal to win all 4 slams next year and win the next 6-8 French Opens. Quote me if I'm wrong - I've never been wrong on these forums ever.

I don't know who'll win slams next year, but to suggest a ballbashing clown like Del-Fluktro winning RG is preposterous. He'll get hammered by any decent defender with good fitness. When will people accept he's a 250/500 level player? He fluked one big title. Take away his USO and he's a worse player than Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga etc.

ssj100
09-15-2012, 02:49 AM
I don't know who'll win slams next year, but to suggest a ballbashing clown like Del-Fluktro winning RG is preposterous. He'll get hammered by any decent defender with good fitness. When will people accept he's a 250/500 level player? He fluked one big title. Take away his USO and he's a worse player than Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga etc.

Seems he fluked an Olympics Bronze medal too on his worst surface?

Mark Lenders
09-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Del Potro will never even approach a slam final ever again, much less win RG trophy. And Clownga winning Wimbledon? Are you talking about playstation or real life?

Djokovic and Del Potro are both likely to win RG at some point simply because they're the only two players from the post-Nadal who can play great tennis on clay, not to mention the only two who can realistically beat Nadal on the surface if he comes back strong next year.

Tsonga has a chance at Wimbledon especially if it rains heavily during the latter rounds. Indoor grass would be a dream surface for him. His shit backhand and ROS would barely be exposed since he'd able to finish points fast.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Seems he fluked an Olympics Bronze medal too on his worst surface?

No elite player gives a shit about bronze or silver - only gold matters. It's like reaching a slam semi final playing best of 3. Big fucking deal. Djokovic hardly cared during that match + he already has a bronze. See their USO rematch where he made Del-Bashtro look clueless and destroyed him in straights.

ssj100
09-15-2012, 02:57 AM
No elite player gives a shit about bronze or silver - only gold matters. It's like reaching a slam semi final playing best of 3. Big fucking deal. Djokovic hardly cared during that match + he already has a bronze. See their USO rematch where he made Del-Bashtro look clueless and destroyed him in straights.

I think the Olympics are a bit different though - standing on that podium is for your country, not for yourself (like with Slams etc).

Del Potro appears to have fluked one slam (and I think never will win another one), but it was one heck of a fluke - crushing Nadal in the semis, then beating Federer in a Grand Slam final on "fast" hard courts. This is why his subsequent "wrist injury" is such a good excuse as to his decline since then. :angel:

Topspindoctor
09-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Djokovic and Del Potro are both likely to win RG at some point simply because they're the only two players from the post-Nadal who can play great tennis on clay, not to mention the only two who can realistically beat Nadal on the surface if he comes back strong next year.

Del Potro is not favorite in RG even against guys like Ferrer or Almagro.

Djokovic will win RG for sure, though I think it will be in 2014.

Tsonga has a chance at Wimbledon especially if it rains heavily during the latter rounds. Indoor grass would be a dream surface for him. His shit backhand and ROS would barely be exposed since he'd able to finish points fast.

He's a ballbasher with weak mental strength and no RoS. He draws a big server in early rounds, he's vulnerable. He draws a good returner, he's vulnerable. He reaches the final, he loses, because you need balls to win a slam, which he lacks. Betting on Clownga to win a slam final is like betting on Federer to beat Nadal in Paris.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2012, 03:02 AM
I think the Olympics are a bit different though - standing on that podium is for your country, not for yourself (like with Slams etc).

Del Potro appears to have fluked one slam (and I think never will win another one), but it was one heck of a fluke - crushing Nadal in the semis, then beating Federer in a Grand Slam final on "fast" hard courts. This is why his subsequent "wrist injury" is such a good excuse as to his decline since then. :angel:

people are missing out on context of those wins. Nadal had an abdominal tear, it's a miracle he was in SF in the first place. Noserer got overconfident, served horrendously (50%, 10 doubles), choked multiple times and still almost won. After Delpo returned he failed to win a single match against Nadal or Olderer, in fact Olderer spanked him easily 5-6 times, of course Del Potro tards are full of excuses - only their man can be injured, apparently. A tennis titan like Del Goatro beat 100%, healthy Nadal 2/2/2 after all :rocker2::stupid:

Mark Lenders
09-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Del Potro is not favorite in RG even against guys like Ferrer or Almagro.

Djokovic will win RG for sure, though I think it will be in 2014.

Ferrer and Almagro :superlol: :spit:? This is a South American 250 tournament we're talking about. Those two have been around for many years and have a whooping 1 Roland Garros SF between them. Speaking of whooping, Ferrer won a grand total of 5 games in that semi. Del Potro breadsticked Nadal in their last best of 5 clay match in Nadal's home in Spain, despite his poor fitness at the time. Heck, teenager Del Potro back in 2007 outside the top 100 put up a sterner resistance to Nadal at RG than Ferrer. I know you like to troll, but come on: those two can't compare to JMDP on clay (or any other surface).

Agree about Nole though, he should compete his CGS at some point.

He's a ballbasher with weak mental strength and no RoS. He draws a big server in early rounds, he's vulnerable. He draws a good returner, he's vulnerable. He reaches the final, he loses, because you need balls to win a slam, which he lacks. Betting on Clownga to win a slam final is like betting on Federer to beat Nadal in Paris.

He has more balls than the rest of the top 10 combined. That is the reason why he's doing so well despite having by far the worst BH in top level tennis and probably the most horrendous ROS the top 10 has ever seen. His problems have nothing to do with his mentality/balls and everything to do with technical weaknesses in his game; he always goes for it regardless of opponent and venue, balls he does not lack.

people are missing out on context of those wins. Nadal had an abdominal tear, it's a miracle he was in SF in the first place. Noserer got overconfident, served horrendously (50%, 10 doubles), choked multiple times and still almost won. After Delpo returned he failed to win a single match against Nadal or Olderer, in fact Olderer spanked him easily 5-6 times, of course Del Potro tards are full of excuses - only their man can be injured, apparently. A tennis titan like Del Goatro beat 100%, healthy Nadal 2/2/2 after all :rocker2::stupid:

Has there been any other top player going through surgery recently?

rocketassist
09-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Boredo definitely has the worst ROS of any recent top 10. Amount of times a big server has served him off court I cannot count.

So much so he once complained about Karlovic's serve :superlol:

Topspindoctor
09-15-2012, 03:27 AM
Ferrer and Almagro :superlol: :spit:? This is a South American 250 tournament we're talking about. Those two have been around for many years and have a whooping 1 Roland Garros SF between them. Speaking of whooping, Ferrer won a grand total of 5 games in that semi. Del Potro breadsticked Nadal in their last best of 5 clay match in Nadal's home in Spain, despite his poor fitness at the time. Heck, teenager Del Potro back in 2007 outside the top 100 put up a sterner resistance to Nadal at RG than Ferrer. I know you like to troll, but come on: those two can't compare to JMDP on clay (or any other surface).

5-2 H2H, including win on clay in DC and a severe beating in slam this year. Sorry, but anyone with consistent game and fitness can beat him on clay and grass. You can argue the point, but even if he beats Ferrer, can he grind through several guys like Nole and Nadal on clay? No fucking way. Lightning doesn't strike twice in one place and stars are not aligning for him to ballbash to another title, I am sorry. His clay game is pathetic, he just goes for it like all or nothing clown - sure he can breadstick Nadal. Can he beat him in best of 5 in Paris? Feel free to bet your life savings on it.

He has more balls than the rest of the top 10 combined. That is the reason why he's doing so well despite having by far the worst BH in top level tennis and probably the most horrendous ROS the top 10 has ever seen. His problems have nothing to do with his mentality/balls and everything to do with technical weaknesses in his game; he always goes for it regardless of opponent and venue, balls he does not lack.

One slam final in his career, in his late 20's now. Doing well indeed. Wait, are we talking about actual slam contenders here or guys that can reach QF/SF at most?

Has there been any other top player going through surgery recently?

He had more than enough time to recover. LEt him win masters first then we can talk about slam contention, I mean at least his shitty fitness shouldn't be an issue in best of 3 format, correct?

Roy Emerson
09-15-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-win-u-s-open-hard-court-flushin-unforgiving-article-1.1153878

Marcoo
09-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I hope he'll be winning Slams as long as he can :D

Roy Emerson
09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Del Potro for FO.

Del Potro does not have the stamina and endurance to win the FO. IF he ever wins a slam again it will be a HC slam.

I don't think Tsonga is slam winning material. Has he ever beaten top 4 players back to back anywhere? Berdych has done that at Wimbledon 2010.

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Tsonga beat both Nadal and Murray at the AO in 2008, but that wasn't back-to-back. He ran into Murray in the first round and then beat Nadal in the semis.

Mark Lenders
09-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Del Potro does not have the stamina and endurance to win the FO. IF he ever wins a slam again it will be a HC slam.

This is a myth, Del Potro doesn't have any problems with long matches since early 2009. He just recently played a grueling longest 3 setter ever vs Federer in OG and then proceeded to beat Nole in the next match showing no signs of fatigue.

Besides, endurance is much less of a factor on clay than on those very slow, bone crushing hardcourts.

I don't think Tsonga is slam winning material. Has he ever beaten top 4 players back to back anywhere? Berdych has done that at Wimbledon 2010.

There's a first time for everything. Berdych had also never done it before he actually did it. Not to mention there's a (slim) chance a draw could open up for him in that respect like it did for Murray, who is now a Slam champion without ever having beaten top 3 players back to back at a Slam.

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
The problem is his seeding. If there are no upsets he has to beat 3 of them back-to-back in order to win. And even if his draw opens up, because one of them loses in an earlier round he would still have to win two matches against top 4 players. And that is assuming he gets that far, which is not a given either as recently demonstrated. The same goes for Berdych, Del Potro and Ferrer as well.

Roy Emerson
09-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Tsonga beat both Nadal and Murray at the AO in 2008, but that wasn't back-to-back. He ran into Murray in the first round and then beat Nadal in the semis.

Murray was not top 4 in January 2008.

This is a myth, Del Potro doesn't have any problems with long matches since early 2009. He just recently played a grueling longest 3 setter ever vs Federer in OG and then proceeded to beat Nole in the next match showing no signs of fatigue.

Besides, endurance is much less of a factor on clay than on those very slow, bone crushing hardcourts.

There's a first time for everything. Berdych had also never done it before he actually did it. Not to mention there's a (slim) chance a draw could open up for him in that respect like it did for Murray, who is now a Slam champion without ever having beaten top 3 players back to back at a Slam.

Can't see Del Potro winning a slam outside HC. He may not even win a slam again. This is a tough era. I could see Berdych winning a slam someday. Del Potro again as well. Tsonga? Nah.

Slams are not for everyone these days. Look how long it took Murray. We are not in 2002 anymore, an era where it was easier for the Johansson's of the world to win a slam.

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Andy was number #9 back then.

Berdych is 27 (will be in 2 days). When exactly is someday?

Roy Emerson
09-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Andy was number #9 back then.

Berdych is 27 (will be in 2 days). When exactly is someday?

He has 2 years tops. I was very impressed at his USO performance this year. He got unlucky with the wind in the SF. No wind and he might have won the SF. Very few players have beaten Federer TWICE at the slams. Nadal, Djokovic, Berdych. Nalbandian but that was long ago.

Ferrer and Tsonga don't appear to be slam winning material.

Sanya
09-15-2012, 05:05 PM
For me it easier to imagine Fed and Nad to share all Majors than losing both everywhere. Cmon, they aren`t that bad even now. ;) And Nadal playing 15% of his level still will beat anyone apart from Nole and maybe Delpo at RG.

I believe we will see one more Fedal Slam final at least.

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 05:12 PM
He has 2 years tops. I was very impressed at his USO performance this year. He got unlucky with the wind in the SF. No wind and he might have won the SF. Very few players have beaten Federer TWICE at the slams. Nadal, Djokovic, Berdych. Nalbandian but that was long ago.

Ferrer and Tsonga don't appear to be slam winning material.

He wasn't the favourite despite the positive head to head. And most of his wins against Murray came on clay. The last time they played on hard, in Dubai this year, Murray won in straight sets (without wind). It's hard to predict what might have happened.

nick the greek
09-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Nadal yes, Fed, no way.

Ben D.
09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Nadal has RG, Fed can make one final.

Mark Lenders
09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Can't see Del Potro winning a slam outside HC. He may not even win a slam again. This is a tough era. I could see Berdych winning a slam someday. Del Potro again as well. Tsonga? Nah.

Slams are not for everyone these days. Look how long it took Murray. We are not in 2002 anymore, an era where it was easier for the Johansson's of the world to win a slam.

This is not a tough era at all. Del Potro had wrist surgery and upon his comeback has had injury after injury and still there are only a handful of players who can stop him in big tournaments. Del Potro is an extremely talented player, but in a real tough era he'd not have had it so easy to get back to the top after what he's been (and keeps going) through.

The younger top (4) players are all great players, but they're not imposing all around talents like Federer. They excel in today's conditions, but as soon as those change even a bit (ie Madrid) they either boycott, whine or lose early. In no way, shape or form do they feel as unbeatable as Federer once did (and Nadal on clay). Fedal's decine/retirement will open up possibilities for a lot of players as Djokovic (and Murray) will never be able to 'guard' the Slams like Federer and Nadal did.