J. McEnroe flunks tennis history over and over and over. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

J. McEnroe flunks tennis history over and over and over.

Whiznot
09-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Why does Mac never seem to get it right.

During the US Open in reference to Steve Johnson McEnroe said that Johnson was the only male to win the NCAA singles twice. Mikael Pernfors won the NCAA singles twice for Georgia.

Mac also said that Federer reach slam semi-finals 22 times in a row instead of the correct number 23.

Mac also repeated the famous Vitas Gerulaitis quote "nobody beats Gerulaitis 17 times in a row" in reference to Jimmy Connors but the quote was about Bjorn Borg not Connors.

I guess if you are rich and famous enough you can coast through life without effort.

stewietennis
09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
The guy is old, give him a break

finishingmove
09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
No way, I was convinced he lives for this trivia.

Oh, how wrong I was...

Burrow
09-13-2012, 11:44 PM
The guy is old, give him a break

53 is hardly 'old'.

The truth is most of these past pro's get by on their name alone and don't have much substance to them.

tennisfan856
09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
remember when roddick said these guys have the easiest job in the world? That's why.

Ash86
09-13-2012, 11:46 PM
I give him a pass on making mistakes on trivia - the worst offence was him not knowing who Kohlschreiber was...

Sunset of Age
09-13-2012, 11:57 PM
remember when roddick said these guys have the easiest job in the world? That's why.

Witty from the Duck. I might well start missing him soon, if only for his :worship: remarks about commentators and journo's.

Whiznot
09-14-2012, 12:08 AM
I give him a pass on making mistakes on trivia - the worst offence was him not knowing who Kohlschreiber was...

Mac shows up but never does any work. It was the same situation as Davis Cup captain. All Mac wanted was the title for a year then he bailed out.

Henry Chinaski
09-14-2012, 12:29 AM
He's pathetic.

During Wimbledon he didn't know why Robin Soderling wasn't playing.

He didn't know the cramp rule either.

MTwEeZi
09-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Say what you want about McEnroe but he knows his volleys :cool:

Smoke944
09-14-2012, 12:33 AM
He's pathetic.

During Wimbledon he didn't know why Robin Soderling wasn't playing.

He didn't know the cramp rule either.

And like you touched on with your blog, according to him everyone outside of the top-20 is some random journeyman that he doesn't need to know anything about.

Roamed
09-14-2012, 12:33 AM
McEnroe only plugs in his eye sockets and brain during slam time, therefore is obvious to anything else in the tennis world, and even then his analysis is rubbish.

uNIVERSE mAN
09-14-2012, 12:40 AM
I wish this guy would disappear. I'm sick of the same old boring commentary. It's time for someone new.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2012, 12:44 AM
John McEnroe ... another nobody. He got his fame because of his mouth. Overrated at best. next

Whiznot
09-14-2012, 12:56 AM
I have to give him his due as a player. No one ever had better hands. His volleys and touch were so great that It seemed that he could always place the ball in the perfect spot. That lefty can-opener serve was also great and proved almost impossible for a two handed backhand like Borg's. I loved John's game. I just wish he gave a damn about his commentary.

TigerTim
09-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Vitas lost to Borg 20 times, but for some reason the ATP computer only counted 17 matches. Big G was the original duck.

TigerTim
09-14-2012, 12:59 AM
John McEnroe ... another nobody. He got his fame because of his mouth. Overrated at best. next

Jesus Christ you are retarded.

fast_clay
09-14-2012, 01:00 AM
he was decent when he first kicked off his commentary career and still in touch... but it's obvious he'll soon have to pay to get inside a commentary booth...

TigerTim
09-14-2012, 01:03 AM
The best comms is Jim Courier.

Becker and McEnroe are classic for hilarity.

Wilander is drugged up. Davenport is good for the BBC

Henry Chinaski
09-14-2012, 01:06 AM
I have to give him his due as a player. No one ever had better hands. His volleys and touch were so great that It seemed that he could always place the ball in the perfect spot. That lefty can-opener serve was also great and proved almost impossible for a two handed backhand like Borg's. I loved John's game. I just wish he gave a damn about his commentary.

no one had better hands...until a 15-year-old Donald Young came along. This was another of McEnroe's gems.

Others are that Nadal has better volleys than Federer and should be allowed to take as long as he likes between points because of his achievements in the sport.

mike s.
09-14-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't care if he gets some numbers wrong like 22 vs. 23 straight semis, that can happen.

What bothers me is that he makes absolutely no effort to learn about the current players and their game styles etc. He has absolutely no idea about anyone outside the top 10. Ask him about Simon or Kohlschreiber or Almagro or Cilic etc. and he has absolutely no idea about them at all. They may not be grandslam contenders but it's inexcusable to not know basic information about how they play or their career highlights or what temperament they have on the court. I get embarrassed every time I listed to him and Chris Fowler or whoever has to correct him on basic information that anyone on this board would know.

He was obviously a great player who has knowledge of how to play the game but the effort he puts into commentating is probably the worst of anyone I've ever listened to.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Jesus Christ you are retarded.

Whatever. I am not afraid of your name calling. The facts are even J. Mac agrees with me. When you hear about John McEnroe, do you hear about his game or his beautiful shots or his loud mouth and being a clown with umpires? Ask yourself that question before attacking someone who states just facts

HKz
09-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Why does Mac never seem to get it right.

During the US Open in reference to Steve Johnson McEnroe said that Johnson was the only male to win the NCAA singles twice. Mikael Pernfors won the NCAA singles twice for Georgia.

Mac also said that Federer reach slam semi-finals 22 times in a row instead of the correct number 23.

Mac also repeated the famous Vitas Gerulaitis quote "nobody beats Gerulaitis 17 times in a row" in reference to Jimmy Connors but the quote was about Bjorn Borg not Connors.

I guess if you are rich and famous enough you can coast through life without effort.

Who doesn't make mistakes even if you're on TV. McEnroe's mistakes are pretty minuscule compared to some other idiots, plus he knows a lot of knowledge in general, so give him a break I would say.

Topspindoctor
09-14-2012, 01:26 AM
MugEnroe is male Evert of tennis commentating - although nobody is as bad as Hewitt.

stewietennis
09-14-2012, 01:27 AM
The casual fan remembers McEnroe for his outbursts and temper.

The tennis aficionado remembers McEnroe for his volleys.

HKz
09-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Whatever. I am not afraid of your name calling. The facts are even J. Mac agrees with me. When you hear about John McEnroe, do you hear about his game or his beautiful shots or his loud mouth and being a clown with umpires? Ask yourself that question before attacking someone who states just facts

What? McEnroe had and still has one of the best looking games in the history of the sport. Easily one of the most talented players ever.

Slice Winner
09-14-2012, 02:45 AM
MugEnroe is male Evert of tennis commentating - although nobody is as bad as Hewitt.

Evert is really really bad.
What's wrong with Hewitt though? A lot of people really liked the little bits of commentary he did. I never heard it, but I'm guessing he probably talks too much?

Freak3yman84
09-14-2012, 02:47 AM
I couldn't care less. He's one of the few commentators to actually express his opinions rather than sugar-coating everything :o

Sham Kay
09-14-2012, 02:50 AM

And like you touched on with your blog, according to him everyone outside of the top-20 is some random journeyman that he doesn't need to know anything about.

JMac could easily be any number of MTF members..

Sunset of Age
09-14-2012, 02:50 AM
no one had better hands...until a 15-year-old Donald Young came along. This was another of McEnroe's gems.

Others are that Nadal has better volleys than Federer and should be allowed to take as long as he likes between points because of his achievements in the sport.

:worship:

A great tennis player doesn't always make for a great commenter...
Still, noone should ever question Johnny Mac's accolades in tennis. I LOVED watching him play back then, when I were young. A true legend he is, despite his shortcomings in the commentary box.

As a Dutchie (or not), I highly prefer listening to Jan Siemerink on Sport1-tennis, though.

Topspindoctor
09-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Evert is really really bad.
What's wrong with Hewitt though? A lot of people really liked the little bits of commentary he did. I never heard it, but I'm guessing he probably talks too much?

Talks too much about himself is more like it. You can be watching an early round of AO between 2 random guys and Hewitt is going on about a match he played 5 years ago. Admittedly he was a bit better in 2012, but in earlier years he was so unbearable I had to mute the sound on my TV.

Slice Winner
09-14-2012, 03:03 AM
Talks too much about himself is more like it. You can be watching an early round of AO between 2 random guys and Hewitt is going on about a match he played 5 years ago. Admittedly he was a bit better in 2012, but in earlier years he was so unbearable I had to mute the sound on my TV.

Sounds like how Henman commentates.

Any youtube clips of Hewitt commentating? I'd be interested to hear it.
Apparently when Agassi did a little bit of commentating, he just talked non-stop.

JediFed
09-14-2012, 03:06 AM
Ask him about Simon

Simon has a game?

emotion
09-14-2012, 03:08 AM
He knows the game, but not the players

paseo
09-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Great player. Shit commentator.

Next.

LeChuck
09-14-2012, 07:23 AM
I can't stand McEnroe as a commentator. Of course he is one of the biggest superstars that the sport has ever produced, and is well known in the wider media outside the tennis circle, so he is a major asset for any TV network that he works for. The same applies to Evert even though she is just terrible.

Also tennis commentary needs to be catered to casual fans (who form the strong majority) and not those of us diehard fans who form the minority and post on places like this. Maybe McEnroe is more suited to doing that, constantly hyping everything and everyone up and 'dumbing down' his commentary so to speak.

I remember Agassi doing a great commentary job during the Federer-Roddick 2007 US Open QF, but thinking that unless you were a really passionate tennis fan, you wouldn't really be that interested in the technical points of what he was saying.

The Fearhand
09-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I like Mac a lot. He makes commentating very fun even in boring matches.

Sophocles
09-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Mac is my 2nd favourite player ever, and I enjoy listening to him because I find his personality engaging & respect his knowledge of the game, but I agree he is woefully ignorant about current players & his mania for declaring this or that the "best ever" verges on the pathological.

Federer4Everer
09-14-2012, 10:43 AM
I like listening to him. Not boring. The one I love to hate is Carillo. OMG she is boring!!!

PiggyGotRoasted
09-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Him + Another female american?? commentating on the bbc for the final of wimbledon was cringeworthy with their bias towards serena williams.

Burrow
09-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Him + Another female american?? commentating on the bbc for the final of wimbledon was cringeworthy with their bias towards serena williams.

Tracy Austin.

I don't enjoy commentators who, most of the time, try to be funny or are completely biased or are too busy kissing one of the top 4's backside to even bother analysing the match at hand. That's why I can't stand listening to Robbie Koenig and Jason Goodall.

Say what you will about Simon Reed's ridiculous articles, but listening to him and Frew McMillan is a welcome change. The humour between them is dry and unforced, unlike the constant barrage of cheap laughs coming from the likes of Robbie Koenig and Jason Goodall. And only still, that's second priority, as it should be.

BackhandDTL
09-14-2012, 12:15 PM
I'll take his innacuracies any day over his outlandish generalizations and extreme biases. He's a prisoner of the moment. I can't say how many times I've heard him throw around adjectives like "greatest" and "best ever". He's always looking for the brightest coattail to ride these days.

tennizen
09-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Don't care if he is inaccurate- facts can be easily verified. His hype is slightly worse but I still like him because he is very enthusiastic and is very fond of the game in general.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
why does anyone listen to that ignorant baboon who was only considered a good american player

the rest of the world knew he was shit- fluked 7 slams
his own ex wife said he was on steroids untill 85 (which would explain alot)

he's shit- he's lucky to win a single slam

RagingLamb
09-14-2012, 02:53 PM
I would pay to watch tennis without any commentary, but I like JMac because of some of the technical analysis he provides of the match.

TigerTim
09-14-2012, 02:55 PM
why does anyone listen to that ignorant baboon who was only considered a good american player

the rest of the world knew he was shit- fluked 7 slams

he's shit- he's lucky to win a single slam

:haha::haha::haha::unsure:

Sophocles
09-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Actually she said he was on PEDs after 1985. Which wouldn't explain much, but rather suggests PEDs aren't all they're cracked up to be.

We all know bitter ex-wives say derogatory things about their ex-husbands solely in the disinterested pursuit of truth.

TigerTim
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM
plus wouldn't a rioded up McEnroe have some muscle???

he was skinny as a rake.

Burrow
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
plus wouldn't a rioded up McEnroe have some muscle???

he was skinny as a rake.

Depends on which steroid used, diet and training regime.

In other words, no.

And McEnroe admitted to using steroids but unknowingly for pain relief or something.

thrust
09-14-2012, 08:49 PM

I loved John's game, but hated his on court behavior. One has to accept the fact that he was a great player. He won 7 slams, many other tournaments and ended Borg's #1 ranking which led to the end of Borg's career.

thrust
09-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Mac is my 2nd favourite player ever, and I enjoy listening to him because I find his personality engaging & respect his knowledge of the game, but I agree he is woefully ignorant about current players & his mania for declaring this or that the "best ever" verges on the pathological.

For me the most inaccurate statement he has made is that Nadal is the best volleyer in the game today. Whatever, no commentator is perfect or going to please everyone. Overall, I usually enjoy his commentary.

motorhead
09-14-2012, 09:16 PM

:haha::haha: