Should Nadal play the South American clay swing from now on? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should Nadal play the South American clay swing from now on?

Tag
09-13-2012, 01:46 AM
by this i mean:

16/01 - Australian Open

30/01 - Vina del Mar (250, Chile)

13/02 - Sao Paulo (250, Brazil)

20/02 - Buenos Aires (250, Argentina)

27/02 - Acapulco (500, Mexico)

08/03 - Indian Wells (1000, USA)

21/03 - Miami (1000, USA)

then onto Monte Carlos (15/04). skip doubles at Indian Wells/Miami

i feel that this will maintain his sharpness, his game, and lessen the wear on his knees i.e prolong his career

or this is scheduling too smart and he'll chase the $ as usual?

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 01:47 AM
The only top player that should play in South American events is Mugray. That is the only chance he has of winning a clay title with his pathetic clay game.

Tag
09-13-2012, 01:57 AM
The only top player that should play in South American events is Mugray. That is the only chance he has of winning a clay title with his pathetic clay game.

embarrassing stuff

this has nothing to do with murray

it's about nadal

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Stupid topic deserves a stupid response. Nadal playing in SA clay events would be as embarrassing as Olderer playing in Basel. Nadal, thankfully, still has some pride left and won't participate in challenger events to inflate his title count.

caisenma
09-13-2012, 02:07 AM
how charming to see this thread immediately derailed.

anyway, as for the original post, i think i've read others suggest the same that you have here. it might come down to whether he needs rest, full stop. that, as opposed to making up tournaments that perhaps he should skip later on in the year.

whatever the case may be, hopefully nadal will take a logical approach and do what's best for himself in the long term.

and that probably won't include playing doubles in march, which i failed to understand the point of this year.

Tag
09-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Stupid topic deserves a stupid response. Nadal playing in SA clay events would be as embarrassing as Olderer playing in Basel. Nadal, thankfully, still has some pride left and won't participate in challenger events to inflate his title count.

lol @ basel and the above tournaments being 'challenger events'. poor effort

don't be hating because nadal is atrocious on indoor courts for a multi-slam winning champion

Tag
09-13-2012, 02:11 AM
how charming to see this thread immediately derailed.

anyway, as for the original post, i think i've read others suggest the same that you have here. it might come down to whether he needs rest, full stop. that, as opposed to making up tournaments that perhaps he should skip later on in the year.

whatever the case may be, hopefully nadal will take a logical approach and do what's best for himself in the long term.

and that probably won't include playing doubles in march, which i failed to understand the point of this year.

ta for a proper reply

that schedule gives him plenty of rest for the big tournaments and keeps his game and knees sharp.

it worked in his breakthrough year (2005), and it would have certainly improved some years (2007, 2009, 2011)

nadal isn't known for being logical with his scheduling (rotterdam, doha, exos). playing doubles in march is pointless in any year, for a singles player

n8
09-13-2012, 02:17 AM
He could play Buenos Aires and Acapulco and most likely walk away with 750 points. Then skip IW and Miami (which usually give him around the same amount of points in total). That way he bags 2 titles, saves his knees from hard courts and gets a good month and a half off following Acapulco.

The three problems with this are:
Pride (as TPD says),
Masters 1000s are supposed to be compulsory,
and the upside is lower (he 'could' get up to 2000 points from IW and Miami).

Whiznot
09-13-2012, 02:24 AM
The clay grind has destroyed Nadal's knees. Clay courters almost always have short careers. Hard court players last.

Tag
09-13-2012, 02:27 AM
He could play Buenos Aires and Acapulco and most likely walk away with 750 points. Then skip IW and Miami (which usually give him around the same amount of points in total). That way he bags 2 titles, saves his knees from hard courts and gets a good month and a half off following Acapulco.

The three problems with this are:
Pride (as TPD says),
Masters 1000s are supposed to be compulsory,
and the upside is lower (he 'could' get up to 2000 points from IW and Miami).

he has to put his pride aside if he wants to prolong his career

i think he should play IW and Miami, since he usually does well at both. and he can't yet officially skip them (600 matches for 1 skip, isn't it?)

as long as he doesn't play doubles on them, then AO, IW and Miami are the only hard courts he sees right through to Canada

as you said, it's a great chance for up to 1250 extra points

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 02:27 AM
The clay grind has destroyed Nadal's knees. Clay courters almost always have short careers. Hard court players last.

7 RG titles say it was worth it :wavey:

Tag
09-13-2012, 02:29 AM

no, playing needless hard court events and refusing to change his retrieving style (slight changes somewhat in the past couple of years) have destroyed his knees

don't tell me djokovic, monfils and murray will still be playing at 30. they're the absolute worst for sliding and doing tendon destroying movements on hard courts

n8
09-13-2012, 02:34 AM

Hard courts are much worse on players' joints.

The reason clay courters have shorter careers is that they have to play on hard on the tour. You see many level Challenger clay courters (Lorenzi, Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo) lasting for many years because they don't have to play on hard.

Tour level clay courters get screwed because they would like to move on hard the way they move on clay. Moving on hard like a clay courter does damage.

MalwareDie
09-13-2012, 02:35 AM
don't tell me djokovic, monfils and murray will still be playing at 30. they're the absolute worst for sliding and doing tendon destroying movements on hard courts

Murray is not killing himself by sliding on hard courts like Djokovic and Monfils do.

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Murray is not killing himself by sliding on hard courts like Djokovic and Monfils do.

That's why he'll end up with mediocre career. Real champions are willing to kill themselves on court That's why 11>1 and 5>1 :wavey:

Tag
09-13-2012, 02:38 AM

he still plays a very physical game and very physical points.

he could save himself a lot of silly bother by using the DTL backhand more, and coming to the net more often and finishing points with the volley

but again, this is about nadal and his career, not murray's

star
09-13-2012, 02:47 AM
by this i mean:

16/01 - Australian Open

i feel that this will maintain his sharpness, his game, and lessen the wear on his knees i.e prolong his career

I think you are having him play more tournaments than he normally does. He doesn't usually play four tournaments between AO and Indian Wells.

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Ideal Nadal 2013 schedule

Doha
AO
IW
Miami
MC
Rome
RG
Queens
Wimbledon
Toronto
Cinci
USO
Tokyo
WTF

Make excuses to skip other "mandatory" tournaments.

Mountaindewslave
09-13-2012, 03:03 AM
no..... no way. if anything he needs to play a lot less, just training through Febuary is smartest for him, do you want him to burn out or something? counter intuitive idea

Freak3yman84
09-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Nah, he should only do that if he wants to entirely skip the rest of the season.

DJ Soup
09-13-2012, 04:23 AM
That's why he'll end up with mediocre career. Real champions are willing to kill themselves on court That's why 11>1 and 5>1 :wavey:

lol wut, there's this guy Federer who doesn't kill himself at all and bags in 17 slams

atennisfan
09-13-2012, 05:31 AM
lol wut, there's this guy Federer who doesn't kill himself at all and bags in 17 slams

That's because Federer has talent.

Ash86
09-13-2012, 06:13 AM
I think he will but only 1 or 2. He's said that if he has to play more on clay and change his schedule to prolong his career he'll do it. To me that probably means Acapulco and perhaps BA and at least one of IW and Miami - not both. Maybe just Acapulco and Miami for example.

No point in playing all the South American tournaments but a 500 which is very near Miami travel wise anyway could make sense. Then again he loves IW so much it may be tough to give that up.

Time Violation
09-13-2012, 06:18 AM
by this i mean:

16/01 - Australian Open

Playing even more tournaments than usual will prolong his career? :spit:

HKz
09-13-2012, 06:21 AM

What do you call Monte Carlo and Barcelona...?

Jimnik
09-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Would be nice. Unfortunately there's not enough money in SA.

August
09-13-2012, 12:18 PM
What Rafa needs to do is to skip Monte Carlo, Barcelona, or Madrid. Four tourneys in five weeks is too much before RG. And to OT's question, maybe he should do that if he can't anymore win TMSs on hard court. Then he should skip/tank IW & Miami.

luie
09-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Nadull is in decline as I have said many times , he is at the tail end of his Prime. With his hoffas disease , Murray and Novak will own him , Novak even on clay. So yes he should play MM tournies because that's all he will be winning from now on.

Johnny Groove
09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Shoulda been for a couple years now. And skip Indian Wells.

rocketassist
09-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Should just play Acapulco and neither IW or Miami (mega-slow hard courts like them will just kill his knees)

Sri
09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
And what qualifies you to pass judgement on what real champions do and won't do?

Ben D.
09-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Once Nadal has won 3 ATP250 he will realize that +750 pts is far from enough to be n°1 again. And a mere +500pts at Acapulco would mean only 1250 pts. Two weeks later, Djokovic wins IW and wins 1000pts. To be n°1 you have to win on hardcourt. Clay is not enough. Almugro cant be a regular top 10, whilst he is playing everything on dirt during the year.

abraxas21
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
no. we don't want him here.

Mountaindewslave
09-13-2012, 07:51 PM
LOL I can't believe so many people are saying yes. play it versus what is regular? AKA not playing anything at all? playing himself into form isn't the issue, his body holding up is. very dumb idea and only clowns who want his career to last at tops 1 or 2 more seasons would recommend this, not to mention why would he magically start playing events and a continent in general he has ignored his entire career? it just illogical and unwise dummies

Mountaindewslave
09-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Once Nadal has won 3 ATP250 he will realize that +750 pts is far from enough to be n°1 again. And a mere +500pts at Acapulco would mean only 1250 pts. Two weeks later, Djokovic wins IW and wins 1000pts. To be n°1 you have to win on hardcourt. Clay is not enough. Almugro cant be a regular top 10, whilst he is playing everything on dirt during the year.

this in a way; it is a waste and practically useless for him to play the small South American tournaments

nole_no1
09-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Trolling thread

TigerTim
09-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I like T-Docs sig

Answer Op - yes

iriraz
09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
If he plays in South America,it`s just that he needs points.And i doubt at this stage of his career he is running for points left and right.
For a top player like Federer,Nadal,Djokovic or Murray during that period is either Rotterdam/Dubai or no tournaments before the Masters Events.
And also i don`t see him wanting to change surfaces that many times:going from AO on hard then clay,then back on hard for IW/Miami and then back on clay.

LastRocket
09-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Would be a bad idea for all the players in South America, they would all be depressed, run away and play challengers instead.

Jimnik
09-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Dubai should switch to grass. That'll help Rafa's knees.

Backhand_Maestro
09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Hecan play Poker instead and maintain his hair transplant

http://www.homeofpoker.ru/images/news/daily/rafa-nadal-pokerstars-join-the-club.jpg

selyoink
09-13-2012, 10:01 PM
How will Pics win titles if Nadal comes to South America?

out_grinder
09-13-2012, 11:33 PM

Ultimate fail because;

11 + killing yourself <<<<<<<<< 17 + not killing yourself

stewietennis
09-14-2012, 01:45 AM
I don't think Nadal is the type of player to play small tournaments just to pad his numbers. It seems to be more of a defeatist attitude to enter tournaments that your peers don't play. If Nadal goes there to boost ticket sales or to promote the tournaments, that would be another story and it's good – how often do any of the Top 4 play the fringe tournaments. It'll be good for the fans there. However, I don't think playing more tournaments isn't the answer to Nadal's problems. If anything, he should play less and aim to get the finals in the few tournaments he does play – to maintain his ranking. Ranking is the least of Nadal's problems and would be more of an issue to the other Top 3 because no one wants to play Rafa in the quarters if he does drops down in the rankings.

GhostUnholy
09-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Shoulda been for a couple years now. And skip Indian Wells.

This. At this stage he should focus on prolonging his career and ability to compete at the big tournaments.

Tag
09-21-2012, 08:35 PM
thought i'd check on this, interesting answers

i still think that nadal should play at least 1, preferably 2 of the smaller clay events, and skip indian wells. play miami if he really wants to complete the masters set

clay is where he is best, and he plays his way into form. look at 2005: constant success on the clay led to him winning indoors(!) as well as performing well on the other hard court masters.

he isn't going to end up anywhere near the top when it comes to weeks at number 1, no matter how well he does, so that's a lost cause. also, performing strongly on the clay in this era guarantees him a top 4 ranking, never mind what he achieves at the other slams

clay and slams should be his priorites from here out. not the hard court masters/asian swing/exos/Year End Championship/texting Murray

Mountaindewslave
09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
This. At this stage he should focus on prolonging his career and ability to compete at the big tournaments.

during the "South American Swing' he doesn't usually play AT ALL. it will do no benefit for him to play a period he usually trains in and rests. also for him to trade playing either Indian Wells or Miami to play these clay tournaments is dumb too. I keep hearing over and over again that it will benefit his longevity and/or keep him in form, but there are just no strong defending arguments for this. he's always found form fine playing the schedule he does. I might drop a hardcourt masters tournament here or there, but it is just entirely naive to suggest he should play multiple tournaments in South America, a place he is not familiar to or holds dear to his heart. if anything, this adjustment to his schedule could potentially be detrimental to his groove and rythem. this poll... :o

TigerTim
09-21-2012, 11:25 PM
during the "South American Swing' he doesn't usually play AT ALL. it will do no benefit for him to play a period he usually trains in and rests. also for him to trade playing either Indian Wells or Miami to play these clay tournaments is dumb too. I keep hearing over and over again that it will benefit his longevity and/or keep him in form, but there are just no strong defending arguments for this. he's always found form fine playing the schedule he does. I might drop a hardcourt masters tournament here or there, but it is just entirely naive to suggest he should play multiple tournaments in South America, a place he is not familiar to or holds dear to his heart. if anything, this adjustment to his schedule could potentially be detrimental to his groove and rythem. this poll... :o

The points he gains would mean he doesn't have to play the Asian swing for example :)

Tag
09-22-2012, 12:03 AM

clay courts are far better for his knees and his game than the ridiculously slow and punishing hard courts of indian wells and miami. this should be fairly obvious, since ANY court is better than those monstrosities...

you do realise that in his best years in 2005, 2008 and 2010, he didn't follow that 'usual' schedule?

the point is that doha, indian wells, miami, barcelona, madrid, cinncinati, and the entire asian swing are un-necessary hard work...and for...what?

AO (warm up is 50/50, never does well here regardless), south american clay swing, one of IW/Miami, onto european clay swing (drop barca + madrid), then wimbledon (no warm up) and canada.

that's all it takes to gain more than enough points for top 4, probably no 2 if he wins most of those

Rafa is the GOAT
09-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Ok, even I find topspindocter pathetic for saying those things on the first page

Just like heaven
09-22-2012, 07:09 AM
No. And I don't think playing Indian Wells or Miami is doing him any harm.
He should skip Barcelona and avoid playing 6 hours slugfests like the AO final. That's all.

156mphserve
09-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Yes, this way Lenders has even less reason to call Ferrer and Monaco vultures because those vulture events would now have Nadal in the field

Nole Rules
09-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Lol no.

Tag
09-22-2012, 08:32 AM
He should skip Barcelona and avoid playing 6 hours slugfests like the AO final. That's all.

he'll never be as a good as djokovic on those surfaces, remains to be see if murray will turn up for those next year, he's been MIA for 2-3 years at those

pointless doubles on hard courts is pointless for nadal, killing himself on slow hard courts in grind fests against those two...how can these be a benefit...?

Yes, this way Lenders has even less reason to call Ferrer and Monaco vultures because those vulture events would now have Nadal in the field

yes, disgusting vulture this nadal. vultured his way to 11 grand slams with mug draws and ill/receptive/choking opponents.

156mphserve
09-22-2012, 08:41 AM
that's not what I meant at all, I was meaning more now that Nadal is there it's not a weak field, so no longer a vulture event ;)

Just like heaven
09-22-2012, 08:49 AM
he'll never be as a good as djokovic on those surfaces, remains to be see if murray will turn up for those next year, he's been MIA for 2-3 years at those

pointless doubles on hard courts is pointless for nadal, killing himself on slow hard courts in grind fests against those two...how can these be a benefit...?

He won Indian Wells twice and made 3 finals in Miami. I'd say he's got decent chances of winning if he plays well.
He usually plays doubles only in Indian Wells because he's coming after a month off, there is a day off between singles matches and he wants to have something to do until Miami in case he loses early in singles.

Tag
09-22-2012, 08:54 AM
He won Indian Wells twice and made 3 finals in Miami. I'd say he's got decent chances of winning if he plays well.
He usually plays doubles only in Indian Wells because he's coming after a month off, there is a day off between singles matches and he wants to have something to do until Miami in case he loses early in singles.

yes, he won them when he had the fitness and motivation to do so and he is clearly not as fit or motivated as he used to be. it's natural, he's been around for ages.

but slams should be prioritized above everything else, he has enough masters

if he loses early in singles (prferably miami after skipping IW) then he should immediately go to the clay. monte carlo, rome and rg. simple and effective, and it works

Tag
09-22-2012, 08:55 AM
that's not what I meant at all, I was meaning more now that Nadal is there it's not a weak field, so no longer a vulture event ;)

oh, i see

nadal and federer turned barcelona, halle and basel into glorified exos ;)

Just like heaven
09-22-2012, 09:02 AM
yes, he won them when he had the fitness and motivation to do so and he is clearly not as fit or motivated as he used to be. it's natural, he's been around for ages.

but slams should be prioritized above everything else, he has enough masters

if he loses early in singles then he should immediately go to the clay. monte carlo, rome and rg. simple and effective, and it works

I think he knows better what he should or shouldn't do. I doubt he's going to play in February.
If the calendar changes from 2014 and these tournaments will be moved at the end of the year, he might play that new clay tournament in Rio.
As far as I'm concerned, he's got nothing left to prove on clay so at this stage in his career a title in Indian Wells or Miami would be more important than MC, Barcelona and Rome combined.

Blue Heart24
09-22-2012, 12:10 PM
thought i'd check on this, interesting answers

i still think that nadal should play at least 1, preferably 2 of the smaller clay events, and skip indian wells. play miami if he really wants to complete the masters set

clay is where he is best, and he plays his way into form. look at 2005: constant success on the clay led to him winning indoors(!) as well as performing well on the other hard court masters.

he isn't going to end up anywhere near the top when it comes to weeks at number 1, no matter how well he does, so that's a lost cause. also, performing strongly on the clay in this era guarantees him a top 4 ranking, never mind what he achieves at the other slams

clay and slams should be his priorites from here out. not the hard court masters/asian swing/exos/Year End Championship/texting Murray

Agreed.

Lol,and how exactly? :lol: Nadal and Djokovic matches are always going to be "6 hours slugfusts" because of how they play.What's he supposed to do if he meets Djokovic in a Slam final again,tank or try to shorten the points and decrease his chances of winning?

I think he knows better what he should or shouldn't do. I doubt he's going to play in February.
If the calendar changes from 2014 and these tournaments will be moved at the end of the year, he might play that new clay tournament in Rio.
As far as I'm concerned, he's got nothing left to prove on clay so at this stage in his career a title in Indian Wells or Miami would be more important than MC, Barcelona and Rome combined.

So would zero titles be better than 2 titles on clay?

Just like heaven
09-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Lol,and how exactly? :lol: Nadal and Djokovic matches are always going to be "6 hours slugfusts" because of how they play.What's he supposed to do if he meets Djokovic in a Slam final again,tank or try to shorten the points and decrease his chances of winning?
When trying to outlast him doesn't seem to be working, then yes, it's obviously time to change something.
So would zero titles be better than 2 titles on clay?
What I've said is that at this point in his career a hard court title would have more value.

BigJohn
09-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I believe the correct answer is the Nadal should retire for his fans. Should have been a poll option.

Fedex
09-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Basel is an event that usually attracts 2-3 top 10 players.

And it's Federer's hometown event, of which he has been going to since he was a child. You don't think Nadal would play an event if they had one in Manacor?

156mphserve
09-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Basel is an event that usually attracts 2-3 top 10 players.

And it's Federer's hometown event, of which he has been going to since he was a child. You don't think Nadal would play an event if they had one in Manacor?

but I don't see Nadal in this draw :p :lol:

http://www.itftennis.com/ProCircuit/tournaments/men's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100026088

Roy Emerson
09-23-2012, 03:57 AM

He's never won at the same off clay tournament more than twice for a reason.

peRfect-Tennis
09-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Clay courts are the most physical demanding, but the least damaging to the joints. If there were more hard court 1000 tournaments instead of stupid clay season then Nadal would have 50% less titles.

jenanun
08-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I think it is a wise choice looking back on how much he has achieved this season so far despite the hiccup at Wimbledon.
Build up the confidence, collect the easy points, and easier on his knee
He should continue the SA clay swing in the future.

rafa_maniac
08-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Eh, not if he goes all out at the AO and really Slams should be his priority from now on.

PileDrive
08-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Eh, not if he goes all out at the AO and really Slams should be his priority from now on.

And you know what, i confess that i'am starting to get bored and concerned about him racking up the M1000s. I don't mind him going 0-3 on Clay M1000 next spring if he manages to defend RG. This probably Rafa's last phase of bigtime career as #1 and GSs winner before closing on 30-- 2014,2015 2016 and may be even before that..He should plan this final push carefully..

rafa_maniac
08-18-2013, 03:30 PM
And you know what, i confess that i'am starting to get bored and concerned about him racking up the M1000s. I don't mind him going 0-3 on Clay M1000 next spring if he manages to defend RG. This probably Rafa's last phase of bigtime career as #1 and GSs winner before closing on 30-- 2014,2015 2016 and may be even before that..He should plan this final push carefully..

I think he sees this as his last big push for #1 and year round dominance. I still would rather he had skipped Cincy but he did have 6 weeks off and missed the first part of the season and wisely skipped Miami so his scheduling is improving, he's just winning a ton more than anticipated :D Honestly if he can take the USO I hope he rests for most/all of the indoor season.

Litotes
08-18-2013, 03:52 PM
I think he sees this as his last big push for #1 and year round dominance. I still would rather he had skipped Cincy but he did have 6 weeks off and missed the first part of the season and wisely skipped Miami so his scheduling is improving, he's just winning a ton more than anticipated :D Honestly if he can take the USO I hope he rests for most/all of the indoor season.

If he does win the USO then he can secure YE#1 basically without playing anything else, unless Djokovic goes on a total rampage.

rafa_maniac
08-18-2013, 04:26 PM
If he does win the USO then he can secure YE#1 basically without playing anything else, unless Djokovic goes on a total rampage.

Exactly, and it would still be safe for a few months of 2014.

Tag
10-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Let's see - I was slaughtered when I made this topic last year

Nadal plays the South American swing, then goes on to have the 2nd or 3rd best year of his career

He gets his confidence from the clay, simple as that.

GSMnadal
10-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Let's see - I was slaughtered when I made this topic last year

Nadal plays the South American swing, then goes on to have the 2nd or 3rd best year of his career

He gets his confidence from the clay, simple as that.

'Clay is the wellspring from which he flows'

- Clay Death

He couldn't have been more right. Get the game going on clay, then he'll find a way outside of it.