Ratings: US Open Men's final best since 2007, women's final bigger (US only) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ratings: US Open Men's final best since 2007, women's final bigger (US only)

Tennis Fool
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
16 million watch U.S. Open final; most since 2007

AP
Tuesday, September 11, 2012

NEW YORK (AP) -- Andy Murray's five-set victory over Novak Djokovic in the U.S. Open final was watched by more than 16 million on TV, an increase from last year's 11.8 million and the highest total since 2007.

CBS Sports says 16.2 million viewers caught all or part of Murray's 7-6 (10), 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2 win. It was an increase of 4.4 million from Djokovic's victory against Rafael Nadal in the 2011 final and 10.3 million more than Nadal's victory over Djokovic two years ago, according to Nielsen numbers provided by the network.

The men's final was originally scheduled for Sunday but it was pushed back a day due to rain.

CBS Sports also said Tuesday that Serena Williams' three-set win against Victoria Azarenka on Sunday had 17.7 million viewers, the highest total for the women's final since 20.1 million for Serena's victory against sister Venus in 2002.

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/09/16-millions-watch-us-open-final-most-2007/39388/#.UFBCzIXwG_H

Looner
09-12-2012, 08:11 AM
The longer, the better :shrug:.

BroTree123
09-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Mugs.

Jimnik
09-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Impressive for a final without Americans.

2007 could have been the last Sunday final.

melys82
09-12-2012, 08:21 AM
But one of the lowest ratings for CBS
U.S. Open: Low Numbers For Yet Another Monday Men’s Final

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/09/u-s-open-low-numbers-for-yet-another-monday-mens-final/

Airing in the afternoon on a workday for the fifth consecutive year, it should not be a shock that overnight ratings were unimpressive for the men’s final of the U.S. Open.

The Andy Murray/Novak Djokovic U.S. Open men’s final drew a 2.3 overnight rating on CBS Monday afternoon, down 12% from last year (2.6), but up a tick from 2010* (2.2).

The 2.3 overnight is the second-lowest ever for the men’s final of the U.S. Open, ahead of only 2010.

Clearly, the Monday afternoon timeslot did not help matters. Several CBS affiliates opted not carry the match until after switching to national programming at 8 PM ET. According to Sports Business Daily, the overnight rating peaked at a 4.2 from 9-9:15 PM ET.

Overall, the last five editions of the U.S. Open men’s final rank as the lowest rated ever in metered markets. It is no coincidence that all five matches aired on Monday afternoons.

The spate of Monday finals and the absence of American stars has slowly but surely eroded the drawing power of the men’s final.

The last time the men’s final was played in the traditional Sunday afternoon window, 2007, the match between Djokovic and Roger Federer earned a 4.2 overnight.
The last time an American played in the final, 2006, the match between Federer and Andy Roddick drew a 5.1.
The last time an American with more than one major victory played in the final, 2005, the match between Federer and Andre Agassi earned a 6.2.
Finally, the last time two Americans met in the final, 2002, the match between Agassi and Pete Sampras earned a now-unattainable 7.9.
Overnight Ratings For Men’s Final of the U.S. Open
Past decade
* The 2010 final, between Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, started on CBS but concluded on ESPN2.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/usopenmen.gif

Tennis Fool
09-12-2012, 08:33 AM
^ Those are ratings for major markets (cities), not overall viewers.

Lopez
09-12-2012, 08:44 AM

Aren't your numbers only US numbers? Not saying that the other numbers are any different though.

finishingmove
09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
I found it funny when Fedtards were trying to imply that Wimbledon had high ratings because of Federer, when it was clearly because of Murray.

Oh well, not the first (or last) time they chose to believe something obviously untrue :lol:

Looner
09-12-2012, 08:51 AM
I found it funny when Fedtards were trying to imply that Wimbledon had high ratings because of Federer, when it was clearly because of Murray.

Oh well, not the first (or last) time they chose to believe something obviously untrue :lol:

:facepalm:

HKz
09-12-2012, 09:00 AM

I'm sure Federer had nothing to do with the ratings, it was all Murray.

finishingmove
09-12-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm sure Federer had nothing to do with the ratings, it was all Murray.

No problem, as far as I'm concerned, he boosted the USO final rating as well.

Don't get depressed, guys :yeah:

melys82
09-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Don't know exactly how the ratings works in US, but from what I read the number of viewers you posted are according to espn the number of viewers "who caught all or part of the match". and that number is always way higher than the actual number of viewers, but you have an indication of that one by looking at the ratings like those I posted.
In 2011 this number was 11,8 million but the number of viewers for the match was a bit more than 3 million, I couldn't find this number for this year's final though.
(Edit: 3,34 million in total viewers for 2011 http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ekgm/u-s-open-mens-final-djokovic-vs-nadal/)

BackhandDTL
09-12-2012, 09:19 AM
I think the Olympic exposure may have had something to do with this. I wonder if Murray has become a hot commodity to the casual audience.

TigerTim
09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
The Olympics and Wimbledon finals had good ratings also.

Clearly Murray is a draw. WTF????? Why? :spit:

I like these Americans, arbiters of good taste :lol:

Tennis Fool
09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Don't know exactly how the ratings works in US, but from what I read the number of viewers you posted are according to espn the number of viewers "who caught all or part of the match". and that number is always way higher than the actual number of viewers, but you have an indication of that one by looking at the ratings like those I posted.
In 2011 this number was 11,8 million but the number of viewers for the match was a bit more than 3 million, I couldn't find this number for this year's final though.
(Edit: 3,34 million in total viewers for 2011 http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ekgm/u-s-open-mens-final-djokovic-vs-nadal/)

Live ratings are always estimates; very hard to capture total audience.

melys82
09-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Live ratings are always estimates; very hard to capture total audience.

Still the numbers given by tennis.com are not the average number of viewers for the match, this is just the total number of people who caught a few minutes of the match.
I guess it shows there was some interest towards this match but not enough to stay and watch it given the overnight rating.

Tennis Fool
09-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Still the numbers given by tennis.com are not the average number of viewers for the match, this is just the total number of people who caught a few minutes of the match.
I guess it shows there was some interest towards this match but not enough to stay and watch it given the overnight rating.

No, it's the average number who caught ALL or PART of the match. Also, again it's all markets, not just cities.

City markets have been in decline, as you've shown. Yesterday, this was partly in due to competition with Monday Night Football.

All of these numbers come from Nielsen.

Certinfy
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Murray in big matches is bringing more viewers than any other player at the moment. :lol:

dodo
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Oh man, the butthurt.
Let it flow, let it flow freely.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100318024248/southpark/images/e/e9/ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

melys82
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
No, it's the average number who caught ALL or PART of the match. Also, again it's all markets, not just cities.

City markets have been in decline, as you've shown. Yesterday, this was partly in due to competition with Monday Night Football.

All of these numbers come from Nielsen.

The numbers I posted are from Nielsen too.

I know those are "all or part" which means viewers above 2 years old who watch at least 6 minutes.
That average number of viewers I'm talking about is different from the "all or part" one. Maybe it has a specific name I don't know ,but it's not about it being difficult to capture the total audience as you said about the Nadal Djokovic match in 2011.

I give you 2 other examples with the 2010 and 2009 final.

The United States Open men’s final, postponed to Monday, delayed by rain and split between two networks, averaged far fewer viewers than last year. Rafael Nadal’s four-set win over Novak Djokovic averaged 2.17 million viewers between CBS and ESPN2, according to Nielsen. That was down 36 percent from the 3.39 million viewers for last year’s five-set final between Roger Federer and Juan Martín del Potro, all on CBS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/sports/tennis/16sportsbriefs-usopen.html?_r=1

For information: All-or-part viewers for those matches were 2010: 5,9 million and for 2009: 14,6 million.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2009/09/16/cbs-u-s-open-tennis-championships-mens-final-viewed-by-an-estimated-14-6-million-up-118/27379/

Maybe someone can explain what all those different numbers are. My guess was that the 2,17 million number represented the average number of people watching at any given moment. I'm just trying to understand how those two stats work together because there can be quite a huge difference between the two.

Redeyz
09-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Somehow I don't think Murray is a big draw for anyone outside of his home country. Even his reaction (tired as he was) so muted and tame. Its your first slam and he was so bland. No wonder Lendl and him get along.

I would think a Monday evening final starting at 6 p.m. would be a slightly better time.

Guest12315544
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
I think there was a lot of interest in Murray's Match at the Open because of the long gap that there was in history of any British man winning a Grand Slam. The crowd at the Open were standing and cheering loudly for a long time between games while Andy was trying to win that 5th Set. Had I not known better I would have thought Andy was a U.S. player!

bokehlicious
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
That fishingmove dude has to be the biggest clown in the history of MTF.

Corey Feldman
09-12-2012, 01:48 PM
hmm 2007, 2012 Finals

the Americanos enjoy watching Nole lose? :devil:

Dmitry Verdasco
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
..and people will still argue that women don't deserve their equal prizemoney :lol:

NID
09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
so the common denominators of the finals with high ratings:
- nole present
- nadal not present

americans do not care about federer :sad:

rocketassist
09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
..and people will still argue that women don't deserve their equal prizemoney :lol:

Clown post.

Serena Williams is American. Let's take her out and put Errani in her place. Ratings then? :lol:

tennizen
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Clown post.

Serena Williams is American. Let's take her out and put Errani in her place. Ratings then? :lol:

Yeah, lets forget about the 15 slams that Serena's won. The only difference between her presence and Errani's is that she's American.

Looner
09-12-2012, 02:25 PM

I saw a similar post on Twitter yesterday. I don't know how my desk withstood the power of my head banging against it.

Dmitry Verdasco
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Clown post.

Okay let's take out Djokovic and replace with Tipsarevic and see the ratings. You can't play that game :lol:

Djokovic and Murray are 2 of the 3 most popular players active on tour right now. This was one of the best final scenarios, a five setter, and still had less viewers than the women. :eek:

Sharapova would have gotten more viewers than Serena even.

rocketassist
09-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Okay let's take out Djokovic and replace with Tipsarevic and see the ratings. You can't play that game :lol:

Djokovic and Murray are 2 of the 3 most popular players active on tour right now. This was one of the best final scenarios, a five setter, and still had less viewers than the women. :eek:

No way Sharapova touches Serena as a US draw. Big name yeah but she's no Williams and never will be.

Serena is a US icon. Djokovic for Tipsarevic would have less of an effect than swapping Serena for Kirilenko, Errani or any other random.

Sapeod
09-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Of course there were millions watching. I'm not surprised. The final was a great match and more people like Murray than most of you clowns seem to think. Djokovic helped too, being the world #2.

Sapeod
09-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Most people watch the women's tennis to watch them, not the tennis. Sad, but true.

Stefwhit
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
No way Sharapova touches Serena as a US draw. Big name yeah but she's no Williams and never will be.

Serena is a US icon. Djokovic for Tipsarevic would have less of an effect than swapping Serena for Kirilenko, Errani or any other random.

Agreed!

Good news for both the WTA and ATP. With the women drawing a larger audience, thus translating into making more revenue than the men, it justifies the equal pay argument.

IsDonsIsGood
09-12-2012, 06:24 PM
The women's final rated higher because Serena was playing. That exceptional circumstance is literally the only reason it happened.

In Australia, the Australian Open men's final this year basically doubled the women's final in average viewers despite lasting over 5 hours and finishing past 2am (both obviously not helpful for TV ratings). It's been like that every year that I can remember and will be like that every year in the future unless, like at the USO this year, an Australian woman makes the final.

lalaland
09-12-2012, 08:22 PM

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/09/u-s-open-low-numbers-for-yet-another-monday-mens-final/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/usopenmen.gif

So based on this report, the same slot that the men final was supposed to be, sunday afternoon after the football, used to draw a lot more viewers. Now the slot, this year, occupied by the women final, drew way less. The Men final played on monday has half of the viewership as those played on sunday, that tells you the monday slot is really the problem for the Men's final. Even I, a diehard fan, didn't watch my fave Nole played Murray, a player that I like. I have to work and I don't bother to watch a tape delay. So while celebrating the women's final's viewership, ppl should also put that into context to understand the implication.

Thirty All
09-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Although the men's was the highest since 2007.

More than 16 million watch Murray's U.S. Open win

CBS Sports says 16.2 million viewers caught all or part of Andy Murray's victory.
Mike Groll/AP

NEW YORK (AP) -- Andy Murray's five-set victory over Novak Djokovic in the U.S. Open final was watched by more than 16 million on TV, an increase from last year's 11.8 million and the highest total since 2007.

CBS Sports says 16.2 million viewers caught all or part of Murray's 7-6 (10), 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2 win. It was an increase of 4.4 million from Djokovic's victory against Rafael Nadal in the 2011 final and 10.3 million more than Nadal's victory over Djokovic two years ago, according to Nielsen numbers provided by the network.

The men's final was originally scheduled for Sunday but it was pushed back a day due to rain.

CBS Sports also said Tuesday that Serena Williams' three-set win against Victoria Azarenka on Sunday had 17.7 million viewers, the highest total for the women's final since 20.1 million for Serena's victory against sister Venus in 2002.

Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...om+-+Tennis%29

GOATsol
09-13-2012, 02:21 AM
What do Simug, Stakmug and Tipsy think about this???

Smoke944
09-13-2012, 02:22 AM
BOMBSHELL: We Have A Search Function ON MTF

Freak3yman84
09-13-2012, 02:23 AM
No-one gives a spit about Mandy winning his first slam :shrug:

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Men's final was played on a WORK day.

Women's tennis featured a YANK in final.

No surprise. WTA final was still trash.

GOATsol
09-13-2012, 02:29 AM
However, men usually get Sunday finals which is a much better TV day than Saturday morning. (which happens in the other slams, not the USO)

The WTA final was better than the ATP crap we saw. mugray winning a slam ugh

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 02:35 AM
However, men usually get Sunday finals which is a much better TV day than Saturday morning. (which happens in the other slams, not the USO)

No it wasn't. I dislike Mandy as much as the next guy, but WTA USO final was pathetic with pusher and mindless ballbasher trying to out screech and out choke each other. In fact the last memorable WTA slam final was RG 1999, that was fucking epic. Steffi :worship:

Sham Kay
09-13-2012, 02:43 AM
No-one gives a spit about Mandy winning his first slam :shrug:

"The 16.2 million viewers was a 4.4 million increase from Djokovic’s 2011 victory over Rafael Nadal, which was also a Monday final."

The US fans have spoken

Tennis Fool
09-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Although the men's was the highest since 2007.

More than 16 million watch Murray's U.S. Open win

CBS Sports says 16.2 million viewers caught all or part of Andy Murray's victory.
Mike Groll/AP

Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...om+-+Tennis%29

Bombshell: already posted :p http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=209926&page=3

Freak3yman84
09-13-2012, 02:46 AM
"The 16.2 million viewers was a 4.4 million increase from Djokovic’s 2011 victory over Rafael Nadal, which was also a Monday final."

The US fans have spoken

I just got destroyed... :bolt:

Tennis Fool
09-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Most people watch the women's tennis to watch them, not the tennis. Sad, but true.

I don't think that's true. When I go to the USO, the men are talking about match tactics, just like the men's matches.

Sham Kay
09-13-2012, 02:53 AM

It was Serena vs Azarenka

Give men (and women) some credit here. It's safe to say the majority were watching it for the Tennis.

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 02:55 AM

Give men some credit here. It's safe to say the majority were watching it for the Tennis.

I was watching USO 2009 women's final for the girls. MILF vs babe :rocker2:

Del-Shitro vs Noserer was :zzz:

Dmitry Verdasco
09-13-2012, 07:04 AM

Ummm, STFU

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6lxq7dLpS1rupmkgo1_250.gif

Who the fuck even cares? :lol:

Regardless of what they're watching for - they're still watching! That means revenue. Which....

Good news for both the WTA and ATP. With the women drawing a larger audience, thus translating into making more revenue than the men, it justifies the equal pay argument.

And even so....

Give men (and women) some credit here. It's safe to say the majority were watching it for the Tennis.

:worship::worship::worship:

What do Simug, Stakmug and Tipsy think about this???

They remain tight lipped.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma3ub63Do31rv0b79.gif

IsDonsIsGood
09-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Who the fuck even cares? :lol:

Regardless of what they're watching for - they're still watching! That means revenue. Which....

So one ratings win in favourable circumstances justifies equal pay?

Thoughts on the Australian Open figures?

Men's final has averaged 2.246m viewers since 2006.
Women's final has averaged 1.477m viewers since 2008.

If I included the 2005 men's final (with Hewitt making the final), the figures would look A LOT worse. I'm too fair for that though.

PS: The reason I had to stop at 2008 for the women is because the 2006 and 2007 finals weren't in the top programs for the week in those years.

E-r-i-c
09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
What a mug match to watch if i do not love one of them i will turn off the TV.

Dmitry Verdasco
09-13-2012, 11:07 AM
So one ratings win in favourable circumstances justifies equal pay?

Thoughts on the Australian Open figures?

Men's final has averaged 2.246m viewers since 2006.
Women's final has averaged 1.477m viewers since 2008.

If I included the 2005 men's final (with Hewitt making the final), the figures would look A LOT worse. I'm too fair for that though.

PS: The reason I had to stop at 2008 for the women is because the 2006 and 2007 finals weren't in the top programs for the week in those years.

2006? 2008? Stop living in the past :rolleyes:

melys82
09-13-2012, 11:22 AM
A few tweets about the ratings

Jon Wertheim ‏@jon_wertheim
Hey @richarddeitsch : tennis fans are asking you to make sense of these us open finals ratings: Good? Bad? Misleading?

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch
@jon_wertheim Little misleading because of lateness of the match. Peaked at 9-9:15 pm so casual tune-in factor. Still, a lot of viewers..

Andrew Jerell Jones ‏@sluggahjells
@richarddeitsch @jon_wertheim Also, Serena/Vika had advantage of following NFL, as well as Serena's star power. Novak/Andy vs MNF 2 gamer-er

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters
@richarddeitsch @jon_wertheim Monday night mens finals in past 5 years averaged 2.46, while in 5 years preceding on Sundays average a 4.68.

Looner
09-13-2012, 11:25 AM

No surprise. WTA final was still trash.

No it wasn't. I dislike Mandy as much as the next guy, but WTA USO final was pathetic with pusher and mindless ballbasher trying to out screech and out choke each other. In fact the last memorable WTA slam final was RG 1999, that was fucking epic. Steffi :worship:

A few tweets about the ratings

Good stuff. TSD speaks the truth which is further supported with actual analysis and not feministic wishful thinking

Corey Feldman
09-13-2012, 01:30 PM
i forgot mens final was also up against the NFL

still 4.4 million more wanted to see Murray win than the Nadal/Nole 2011 final eh

No surprise. WTA final was still trash.reported for the Yank word

IsDonsIsGood
09-13-2012, 03:48 PM
2006? 2008? Stop living in the past :rolleyes:

2012 Australian Open:

Djokovic-Nadal: 2,108,000
Sharapova-Azarenka: 1,215,000

A huge margin considering the men's final finished past 2am in Australia and it had to sustain that average for nearly 6 hours. That peak ratings would've been a lot bigger.

tennis elbow
09-13-2012, 04:02 PM
is Dmitry Verdasco another banned poster from Tennis Forum? :unsure:

I mean, even his/her choicy name reveals what he/she is really interested in, just a typical teenager with hormonal rage and not much else...

luie
09-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Expected tennis fans want to see the skillfull Murray .
Why would anyone want to see rafole grindaton. It is more exciting watching a marathon or the chest championships.

BroTree123
09-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Pretty sure Vika stole the show with her incredible glamour. NID. Too bad she lost the way she did :o

hipolymer
09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Looks like USTA and CBS got what they wanted. I hate it when the bad guys win.

lalaland
09-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters
@richarddeitsch @jon_wertheim Monday night mens finals in past 5 years averaged 2.46, while in 5 years preceding on Sundays average a 4.68.

Actually, this is making comparison much more easier. Given the same time slot on the same channel (Sunday at 1:30pm), Men's Final is averaging a 4.68 rating in the 5 years sample, and the Women Final last sunday is at around 2.5 rating (since the actual number is slightly higher than the Nole/Murray's Final on monday, I think 2.5 is about right). If you are the network, would you rather have a Men's Final or Women's Final on sunday afternoon?

rocketassist
09-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Looks like USTA and CBS got what they wanted. I hate it when the bad guys win.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8qck4vcpW1qiwd8jo1_250.gif

DrJules
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Yes Azarenko is very attractive, but Medusa fom Greek mythology has more sex appeal and is more attractive than Serena Williams.

Dmitry Verdasco
09-14-2012, 06:18 AM
2012 Australian Open:

Djokovic-Nadal: 2,108,000
Sharapova-Azarenka: 1,215,000

A huge margin considering the men's final finished past 2am in Australia and it had to sustain that average for nearly 6 hours. That peak ratings would've been a lot bigger.

Wrong again.

Channel 7 ruined the womens final coverage. They stuffed up the time difference all over the country, daylight savings and all, and most tuned in an hour after it started and unfortunately it was finished by then.

Try again :wavey:

I mean, even his/her choicy name reveals what he/she is really interested in, just a typical teenager with hormonal rage and not much else...

Ummmmm, I'm 22 :D You're right about hormonal though :hehe:

Yes Azarenko is very attractive, but Medusa fom Greek mythology has more sex appeal and is more attractive than Serena Williams.

Doesn't even matter though. Viewers are viewers.

jcempire
09-14-2012, 06:45 AM

you very right

Horrible Final 2012

IsDonsIsGood
09-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Wrong again.

Channel 7 ruined the womens final coverage. They stuffed up the time difference all over the country, daylight savings and all, and most tuned in an hour after it started and unfortunately it was finished by then.

Try again :wavey:

:lol:

I already posted the average ratings from 2006-2012 with the men's final THRASHING the women's final. What more do you want?

Action Jackson
09-14-2012, 07:11 AM

Yes, but it's too funny how WTA fans are trying to spin this.

Dmitry Verdasco
09-14-2012, 07:12 AM
:lol:

I already posted the average ratings from 2006-2012 with the men's final THRASHING the women's final. What more do you want?

Yes, but it's too funny how WTA fans are trying to spin this.

Facts are facts, and it's all in the title.

Men's final best since 2007, women's final bigger

:shrug:

They see me trollin'. They hatin'.