2012 Player of the Year – Who was the best player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2012 Player of the Year – Who was the best player?

August
09-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Who was the player of the year 2012? This is the thread for voting the best player of the season, the thread for voting which player had the most memorable season is here (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=211446). So try to be objective.

Main candidates (updated November 12th):

Novak Djokovic

Australian Open champion
French Open and US Open runner-up
Wimbledon semifinalist
World Tour Finals finalist
Olympics semifinalist, lost bronze match
3 Masters 1000 titles, 3-time runner-up
1 500 title
Year-end World No. 1

Roger Federer

Wimbledon champion
Australian Open and French Open semifinalist
World Tour Finals finalist
Olympic Silver medalist
3 Masters 1000 titles
2 500 titles

Andy Murray

US Open champion
Wimbledon runner-up
Australian Open semifinalist
Olympic Gold medalist
2-time Masters 1000 runner-up
1 250 title

Rafael Nadal

French Open champion
Australian Open runner-up
2 Masters 1000 titles
1 500 title

Lleyton_
09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
LOL clueless. It's between Olderer and No2e, whoever is no.1 at the end of the year. Murray must win all the remaining big tournaments to have any chance.

Marcoo
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
The battle is between Murray and Djokovic in my opinion. If i had to choose i wouldn't really know. And there is Federer as well, but he has less titles than the other two, so... :)

Lleyton_
09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
The battle is between Murray and Djokovic in my opinion. If i had to choose i wouldn't really know. And there is Federer as well, but he has less titles than the other two, so... :)

:facepalm:

Titles won so far:

Olderer 6
Djokovic 3
Murray 3

Year-end no.1 will be the POY.

viruzzz
09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm still going on with Federer, but it is SOOOO CLOOOOSE, Novak has 2 finals, and the results in slams is way better.
But Novak only won 3 titles, so I'd give Fed a little edge over him.

We still have 2 masters and the WTF. I think there we should know.
Even Andy has chances of being the best, if he wins all those things.

Time Violation
09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I think also it's between Roger and Nole. They both performed consistently during the year, while Murray was completely gone during clay season. Probably WTF decides it, unless someone sweeps the autumn masters.

RinkaWaw
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Well who won the most titles? There you go

ballbasher101
09-11-2012, 09:07 PM
The highlander.

jcempire
09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
31 years old Federer is way way way off his best year 2006

Hole and Murray both suck at all

If 2006 Federer back, those two has zero% change

Certinfy
09-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Murray.

Federer and Djokovic would give everything bar their Grand Slam this year for Olympic Gold.

TigerTim
09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Well who won the most titles? There you go

not a good guide, I remember in the mid 90s one year Muster won a crazy number, 15 or something, but wasn't that close to no.1

Roamed
09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
You can make good arguments for all three.. Fed has by far most titles plus consistency on all surfaces, Djokovic reached 3 slam finals winning one, Murray won two of the 5 biggest events. I'm going to say numbers don't lie and go Djokovic > Federer > Murray so far.

Slasher1985
09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
If this PotY is about titles and finals and runner-ups and all that jazz than let the GS+MS+OLY points in the Race standings decide the player of the year. I'm thinking this is a bit different than a results draw-of-the-line. A combination of quality tennis played + popularity/fans raised + sportsmanship + results should do nicely.

QUALITY OF TENNIS:
Djokovic and Federer each share their contribution in the first part of the year, with beautiful matches and very well organized games. Of course Nadal takes the second semester showing off his best part of the year. Federer and Murray take the third semester (great matches both in Wimbledon and the Olympics), while US Open showed Murray and Djokovic not with their best tennis, but pragmatic nonetheless, Federer also pragmatic and not at his best, but a bad day was enough to cast him out. I choose Federer as the player with the best quality tennis so far this year (although things may change).

POPULARITY/FANS RAISED:
It's clear to me that Murray has the best contribution here. He improved a lot this year and many people have come to admire this, although I can say that the opposite also took place for a few other people, which is normal in such cases. Federer's scores second due to records being broken, which is attractive, yet, due to the quantity of records already broken, the impact is not as high as Murray. Djokovic and Nadal didn't score much here.

SPORTSMANSHIP:
I wouldn't say that any of the big 4 score big time here. I'll let this undecided for now.

RESULTS:
Djokovic should be the better player here with the most constant good results in Grand Slams. Murray's Gold Medal vs Federer's 3 Masters is probably the most disputed argument for second place, but we're looking for the best player.

So, it's a tie. 1 category for each of Djokovic/Federer/Murray, with Sportsmanship being the decisive point. I shall ponder this.

That's my POV for now.:)

DrJules
09-11-2012, 09:51 PM
If Murray wins YE championship he will have the year both Federer and Djokovic would probably swap to have i.e. Player of the Year based on key events.

However, almost certain Murray will end year ranked 3.

Allez
09-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Gold breaks the tie in Murray's favour.

Andi-M
09-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Player of the year imo isnt about who won most titles or whose world number 1 its about who had the most career defining moments in their year so for me (so far):-

1. Murray - 1st slam ( massive ), OG, Wim final

2. Federer - 17 GS, back to world no 1, Ol silver, 6 titles,

Djokovic has had a solid year very consisitent in slams, Ferrer deserves special mention for his efforts 2sfs, sqfs in slams and 5 titles. Rafa's year been pretty unspectuclar outside of clay, and his health poor so not a great year for him.

syc23
09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Murray wins by virtue that he's beaten Djokovic for his maiden slam and smashed Federer in straights for Olympic Gold. I'm sure Fed & Djoko would trade their final appearances/MMs for OG.

Plus he also deserves it for putting the fingers up to the majority of haters on MTF.

Time Violation
09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Murray wins by virtue that he's beaten Djokovic for his maiden slam and smashed Federer in straights for Olympic Gold. I'm sure Fed & Djoko would trade their final appearances/MMs for OG.

Not really, Federer beating Andy at Wimbledon is way bigger than later losing at Olympics, no way would Federer swap those two.

Lleyton_
09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Player of the year imo isnt about who won most titles or whose world number 1 its about who had the most career defining moments in their year so for me (so far):-

1. Murray - 1st slam ( massive ), OG, Wim final

2. Federer - 17 GS, back to world no 1, Ol silver, 6 titles,

Djokovic has had a solid year very consisitent in slams, Ferrer deserves special mention for his efforts 2sfs, sqfs in slams and 5 titles. Rafa's year been pretty unspectuclar outside of clay, and his health poor so not a great year for him.

Murray has no chance if he is still no.3 at the end of the year.

Btw I'm talking about the actual awards given by the ITF and ATP. Fanboys are entitled to their opinions of course.

Moozza
09-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Andy has had the best year. The top 4 have shared the slams but Andy has won the biggest non-slam prize this year in the Olympic gold. He is also the most improved from last year and really has made his breakthrough.

emotion
09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Could end up being any, but Murray has lacked the consistency of Federer and Djokovic. In Slams, Federer has been the weakest of the 3. So I think you have to go with Djokovic

Chase Visa
09-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Murray

Pros:

Won 2 major titles

Cons:

Weak on the clay court swing

Federer

Pros:

Most ATP titles

Cons:

Not so consistent at Slams.

Djokovic

Pros:

Most consistent

Cons:

Lacked a defining moment like Fed and Murray.

Federer in 2
09-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Saved this thread to bump after WTF :D

thesouth
09-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Del Potro and Raonic

/MTF

fivebargate
09-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Concesus other places I post seems to be that Fed is just edging it right now....with all to play for. Wimbledon is the big one whatever way you slice it....reclaiming no.1....most titles....that gets it done. YEC and the remaining events will decide the rest.

DJ Soup
09-12-2012, 11:12 PM
I consider context to be very important. The most significant event this year was Federer's 7th Wimbledon + record-breaking 17th Grand Slam + Back to Nº1 + Record-breaking weeks as Nº1.

The second most significant event was Murray winning his first slam after a very good summer season.

Djokovic might have been more successful, with the odds in his favour to get the year end Nº1 (although Fed is the favourite for the WTF).
But the aforementioned achievements are more sensational than Nole's.

finishingmove
09-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Djokovic slightly ahead of Murray.

Brick Top
09-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Novak for now. But it will be dead race until WTF!

Freak3yman84
09-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Warlocq.

Hian-GOAT
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Nole and it is not even close :spit:

EliSter
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Nole and Olderer behind, Mandy winning glorified OG that means crap in tennis world doesnt makes him best player of the year. Especially getting emberassed on clay and beten by mugs in HC swings.

Jimnik
09-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Maybe whoever finishes year-end #1? :shrug:

Depends if you have faith in the ranking system I suppose.

BigJohn
09-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Gold breaks the tie in Murray's favour.

If you leave out the gold, Murray is not remotely close to a tie-break...

duong
09-12-2012, 11:47 PM
I think it's "the year of the big-4" and rather than the "player of the year" (who would probably be Djokovic), there's a story of 4 players with the "newcomer" (Murray, most important news of the year), the "comeback" (Fed), the "drama" (Nadal) and the "pillar", most solid but unenthusiastic one this year (Djokovic). They all had great achievements :

- Nadal was very near from winning the first two slams of the year, he won his 7th Roland-Garros record, and was stopped by injury, after Wimbledon he was tied with Djokovic and Federer in the Race ;

- Murray reached the final of the 3 most important tournaments for him and won 2 of them, playing impressively on grass. He had decided to concentrate on slams and the Olympics for more than 1 year, which also explains his other results ; however, he said himself after his post-championship interview that "tennis is not all about slams" and it's incredibly difficult to be on top all year, and he's not in contention for the YE #1, Djokovic and Federer are ;

- Federer has ahieved all of his goals : win Wimbledon, get a medal in the Olympics and get the number 1 back, which implied winning 3 MS1000 tournaments, first time since 2006 that he did that ;

- Djokovic will probably finish the year as number 1 thus confirming last year's (minimal) result ; if there's a boss on Tour for the late years and the years to come, it's clearly him.

Normally, when the 4 slams are shared and if one "player of the year" is named, it's the world number 1. For that 2 players have been in competition : Djokovic and Federer have been the most constant of the year. For me the slight edge Djokovic has over Fed is that he was better on clay and it's not enough rewarded in the rankings because of Nadal, the blue clay in Madrid and Fed's luck during the clay season. But I don't buy the "he's the best on hardcourts" thing, no not in 2012 and even in 2011 in the US Open it was far from clear. The vulture win in Toronto ... Fed beat him in their two matches out of clay this year and Djokovic was more solid but had less brilliant moments on hardcourts this year. Fed was better in Cincy than Djokovic in the US Open. No for me Fed's results are overrated on clay and (in a lesser extent) on grass (God did he struggle apart from the last 2 matches of Wimbledon :rolleyes: ) this year and Djokovic's results are underrated on clay and grass (he played great in Wimbledon before the SF, the best I've seen from him this year ironically) but Djokovic's results are overrated on hardcourts (he showed me nothing this year on hardcourts except the final in Melbourne) and Fed's ones are underrated on hardcourts.

r2473
09-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Rosol

.....and its not even close.

BigJohn
09-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Rosol

.....and its not even close.

Hero of the year? Greatest performance by an unknown? Tennis savior of the year? Sure, he has a shot.

Player of the year? Perhaps not.

Bad Religion
09-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Easily Nurray. After all, he won 2 of the 5 biggest event this season.

Hope he wins and I'm not even fan of the Scot

DJ Soup
09-13-2012, 12:06 AM
it's "the year of the big-4" for me with the "newcomer" (Murray, most important news of the year), the "comeback" (Fed), the "drama" (Nadal) and the "pillar", most solid but unenthusiastic one this year (Djokovic).

I like that, although I'd change 'drama' with 'fading' for Nadal.

EliSter
09-13-2012, 12:23 AM
I think it's "the year of the big-4", there's no such thing as the "player of the year" :

- Nadal was very near from winning the first two slams of the year and was stopped by injury, after Wimbledon he was tied with Djokovic and Federer in the Race ;

- Murray reached the final of the 3 most important tournaments for him and won 2 of them, playing impressively on grass. He had decided to concentrate on slams and the Olympics for more than 1 year, which also explains his other results ;

- Djokovic and Federer have been the most constant. For me the slight edge Djokovic has over Fed is that he was better on clay and it's not enough rewarded in the rankings because of Nadal, the blue clay in Madrid and Fed's luck during the clay season. But I don't buy the "he's the best on hardcourts" thing, no not in 2012 and even in 2011 in the US Open it was far from clear. The vulture win in Toronto ... Fed beat him in their two matches out of clay this year and Djokovic was more solid but had less brilliant moments on hardcourts this year. Fed was better in Cincy than Djokovic in the US Open. No for me Fed's results are overrated on clay and (in a lesser extent) on grass (God did he struggle apart from the last 2 matches of Wimbledon :rolleyes: ) this year and Djokovic's results are underrated on clay and grass (he played great in Wimbledon before the SF, the best I've seen from him this year ironically) but Djokovic's results are overrated on hardcourts (he showed me nothing this year on hardcourts except the final in Melbourne) and Fed's ones are underrated on hardcourts.

it's "the year of the big-4" for me with the "newcomer" (Murray, most important news of the year), the "comeback" (Fed), the "drama" (Nadal) and the "pillar", most solid but unenthusiastic one this year (Djokovic).

He was defending champion. :rolleyes: He should have just quited Toronto cause Olderer was too tired to play? :rolleyes: And again AO W, Indian SF, Miami W, Toronto F Cincy, F USO, >>> AO semi, Indian W, Miami QF, Cincy F QF USO with Djokovic playng solid all year. I dont know how can u say Federer is underrated on HC when his results clearly shows his HC form atm and has been in last 2 years.

duong
09-13-2012, 12:34 AM
He was defending champion. :rolleyes: He should have just quited Toronto cause Olderer was too tired to play? :rolleyes: And again AO W, Indian SF, Miami W, Toronto F Cincy, F USO, >>> AO semi, Indian W, Miami QF, Cincy F QF USO with Djokovic playng solid all year. I dont know how can u say Federer is underrated on HC when his results clearly shows his HC form atm and has been in last 2 years.

I don't reproach anything about Djokovic in Toronto : I just say it was 1000 easy points with no high level required (and Fed got 1000 quite undeserved points in Madrid on the other side).

On clay Djokovic could play very well but Nadal was there to prevent him from winning more points and also he was nearer to Nadal than the results showed imo, Djokovic just made stupid errors in bad moments this year on clay against Nadal, he still could have his number imo.

On hardcourts his results as you say show that he was solid. Nothing more in my eyes, nothing like 2011.

And I say that I was mostly impressed by him this year in Wimbledon before the semifinal.

It's my opinion, probably not the most common one but I think I gave both bonuses and maluses.

EliSter
09-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't reproach anything about Djokovic in Toronto : I just say it was 1000 easy points with no high level required (and Fed got 1000 quite undeserved points in Madrid on the other side).

On clay Djokovic could play very well but Nadal was there to prevent him from winning more points and also he was nearer to Nadal than the results showed imo, Djokovic just made stupid errors in bad moments this year on clay against Nadal, he still could have his number imo.

On hardcourts his results as you say show that he was solid. Nothing more in my eyes, nothing like 2011.

And I say that I was mostly impressed by him this year in Wimbledon before the semifinal.

It's my opinion, probably not the most common one but I think I gave both bonuses and maluses.

Im not impressed by Djokovic since AO, he made indeed so many bad decisions aka MC etc. I disagree about Winmby post semi was his highest lvl it was AO even of that wasnt impresive tho, nothing close to 2011 form, maybe in couple of matches. Federer was consistant on other side too and little less on clay and better on grass, they are really close IMO. W.o Nole making stupid mistakes he should have walked away with atleast 2 masters clay titles if not RG, even Nadal was beatable there.

duong
09-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Im not impressed by Djokovic since AO, he made indeed so many bad decisions aka MC etc. I disagree about Winmby post semi was his highest lvl it was AO even of that wasnt impresive tho, nothing close to 2011 form, maybe in couple of matches. Federer was consistant on other side too and little less on clay and better on grass, they are really close IMO. W.o Nole making stupid mistakes he should have walked away with atleast 2 masters clay titles if not RG, even Nadal was beatable there.

OK then I think we agree because I agree about the Australian Open, esp. the final, but it was so long ago then I rather was impressed by his game until the QF of Wimbledon comparing to his game before and afterwards.

Yes, I think he still had a mental edge over Nadal in clay season and had everything to beat him in Roma especially, and in a lesser extent in the FO, Monte-Carlo was different esp. because of his grandfather.

alfonsojose
09-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Whoever gets the no.1 position. If Nole had won USO, he'd be the one

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 04:09 AM
Chardy.

He routined Mandy who won OG + USO :shrug:

GOATsol
09-13-2012, 04:41 AM
Whoever gets the no.1 position. If Nole had won USO, he'd be the one
No shit, Sherlock.

BroTree123
09-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Nadal because he won is 7th RG.

Topspindoctor
09-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Nadal because he won is 7th RG.

Haters gonna hate. Murray >>>>>>>> Nadal :smoke:

Absolute Anthropoid
09-13-2012, 05:14 AM
The Highlander surely :haha: :haha: :haha:

atennisfan
09-13-2012, 06:22 AM
The winner of WTF will take it.

AnnaK_4ever
09-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Whoever wins YEC.
Right now it's Djokovic (1 GS + 2 GS RU + 2 MS) > Federer (1 GS + 3 MS) > Murray (1 GS + 1 GS RU).

nole_no1
09-13-2012, 10:58 AM
We should wait for WTF to name it

NJ88
09-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I think it's close between Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic. But I would give the edge to Murray.

If we're talking about breakthrough and winning the biggest tournaments then Murray has it. This year there have been five huge tournaments and Murray has won two of them with the others winning one. Aside from slam titles, I bet any of the other three would have given any of their other results to win that Olympic gold. He's been in two slam finals, one semi final and one quater too so he's had his most successful slam results to date.

If Djokovic wins the Tour Finals, he would probably overtake Murray, but only slightly.

green25814
09-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Results wise its hard to say but for me Federer has played the best tennis this year.

Andy has obviously had a huge breakout year but for me he only played his best tennis in the grass swing.

BIGMARAT
09-13-2012, 04:17 PM
as much as I'm not a fan of Murray, I would give Player of the year to Murray as he won 1 slam and the olympic gold.

Ben D.
09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Olympic Gold Medal + 1st slam title + 1 slam final. Murray :shrug:
Unless Novak wins it all at the end.

Nole fan
09-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Murray's breakthrough and Federer's rise to number 1 have been highlights this year, but Nole has proven he's still the man to beat in slams. The most consistent also. Murray has to prove yet that he can be consistent, from the top 4 he's the less consistent. All these players have periods of the year where they cruise, but the difficult thing it to do it week after week. Nole has got the most finals as well. After the fall season we will see. Whoever gets to number 1 will be a deserving one.

abraxas21
09-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Murray's breakthrough and Federer's rise to number 1 have been highlights this year, but Nole has proven he's still the man to beat in slams.

:spit:

nole's time has passed, sweetie. all that's left is a distant memory of a a few gluten free flukes over a year ago. djokovic will only go down hill from now on, down to the place where he belongs.

Looner
09-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Murray's breakthrough and Federer's rise to number 1 have been highlights this year, but Nole has proven he's still the man to beat in slams. The most consistent also. Murray has to prove yet that he can be consistent, from the top 4 he's the less consistent. All these players have periods of the year where they cruise, but the difficult thing it to do it week after week. Nole has got the most finals as well. After the fall season we will see. Whoever gets to number 1 will be a deserving one.

:eek: Is the real Nole fan finally back :confused:.

:spit:
She is right though. He has been the man to beat but has been beaten most of the time.

Sanya
09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
It depends how you count it. If for big titles only, Murray can`t win it then without WTF victory (1GS + OG + WTF will be enough, IMO). If consistency works here too, then it is still between Federer and Djokovic and Ranking will be the best factor. #1 after WTF is the player of the year, simple as that. It works in 99% cases, only if "player of th year" missed a lot of tournaments due to injury and owing to this hasn`t the biggest amount of points you can go against Ranking. But we haven`t that situation, IMO.

Till now for me it is Fed, but the gap is so slim that in case of taking Shanghai Nole overruns him in my personal list. At least till Paris.

Roamed
09-13-2012, 08:17 PM
In case win percentages mean anything..

Federer 59-8 (.880)
Djokovic 60-11 (.845)
Murray 47-11 (.810)

duong
09-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Agree with Nolefan (actually Murray got his first slam at a very old age, none of the players who won 5 slams had got their first slam that old), and I do think there are good reasons to say that Djokovic is the man of the year whatever the rankings in the end of the year, where he will probably be number 1 anyway.

Murray had his breakthrough, Roger had something like his swan song (I mean about being number 1 which is not a task for an old man, I still hope he can win another slam) and Nadal had a new record, that's what made this year special and interesting, but Djokovic is still the most consistent player and the one who is the most multi-surfaces of modern times (which are a little bit too slow imo).

That was a nice summer but I guess we'll have more Nadal-Djokovic domination next year :sad:

In case win percentages mean anything..

Federer 59-8 (.880)
Djokovic 60-11 (.845)
Murray 47-11 (.810)

it's an overrated stat, as clearly all the wins don't have the same value.

The ATP points are the most meaningful stat imo, and just as Murray said, I don't think we should only care about slams (or even if you add the Olympics), that's why I trust ATP rankings.

Aloevera
09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Now after US Open we can alrady start about thinking who's the player of the year. I don't include the poll because there are still MMs before the season is over.

Candidates:

Novak Djokovic

Australian Open champion
French Open and US Open runner-up
2 Masters titles

Andy Murray

US Open champion
Wimbledon runner-up
Olympic Gold medalist

Rafael Nadal

French Open champion
Australian Open runner-up
2 Masters titles

Roger Federer

Wimbledon champion
Olympic Silver medalist
3 Masters titles
Current World No. 1

If I simplify it a little bit, seems like it's between Murderer.

bounccer
09-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Slightly Novak for the moment, but if Federer wins the WTF his season will be better IMO.

Novak will finish the season at te top spot most likely, Federer has skipped Monte Carlo + Toronto, it's too much.

If Novak do it, he will achieve a thing that Nadal never did, being the best player of the year two years in a row, a very rare achievement

Looner
09-13-2012, 09:00 PM
I know who's NOT player of the year and that's Dull. Great for the game.

TigerTim
09-13-2012, 09:03 PM
French and Aussie are slams on a level with Newport

Wimbledon and USO are important. So it's murderer.

Sapeod
09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
The rankings may not say so, but Andy wins it atm. He has a slam plus olympic gold. He's the currently the best player too.

Looner
09-13-2012, 09:12 PM
The rankings may not say so, but Andy wins it atm. He has a slam plus olympic gold. He's the currently the best player too.

No, he isn't. He's been nowhere near good enough in the tier 2 event (Masters 1000) to warrant the #1. It's not all about slams, as you know, otherwise he'd never have been ranked #2.

MurrayMagic1
09-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Federer, Nole and Murray have all had terrific years. Federer has been the most consistent. Nole was much better last year but he still has had a great year regardless of what anyone says. Federer has won the most titles. It's going to be tough. These 3 players all have a grand slam each in 2012 but I think Murray edges it because of that gold medal. So I think Murray should be the player of the year.

Whiznot
09-15-2012, 06:07 PM
It's all up in the air between the top three at the moment. Most likely Federer who is so strong indoors. Murray probably finishes the year a bit better than Djokovic. Nadal's player of the year chances for this and future years are null.

Looner
09-15-2012, 06:17 PM
It's all up in the air between the top three at the moment. Most likely Federer who is so strong indoors. Murray probably finishes the year a bit better than Djokovic. Nadal's player of the year chances for this and future years are null.

:worship: I like the sound of that.

GOAT = Fed
09-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Federer has the same amount of titles so far as Murray and Djokvic combined yet the OP still thinks it's between Murray and Djokovic?

Mind = obliterated.

GOAT = Fed
09-15-2012, 06:37 PM

How? An olympics gold medal isn't even worth 1 masters, let alone 3 (Points wise).

The Prince
09-15-2012, 06:41 PM
How? An olympics gold medal isn't even worth 1 masters, let alone 3 (Points wise).

How much did the Olympic event mean to the players? More than the 36 masters events since the last Olympics combined, for sure.

I bet you if Federer had won gold, everyone would be stressing how important it is. It's just how this place works. :facepalm:

August
09-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Federer has the same amount of titles so far as Murray and Djokvic combined yet the OP still thinks it's between Murray and Djokovic?

Mind = obliterated.

If titles' number would be the only thing that matters, Fed's biggest threat would be Ferrer with 5 titles. And Rafa with four titles would be ahead of Nole and Andy.

Certinfy
09-15-2012, 06:42 PM
And 8 250 events = A Grand Slam? Fuck the ranking points. Federer and Djokovic would give all their MS titles this year for that Olympic Gold.

NJ88
09-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Disregarding points though. I'd guuess that any player in the world would give up any number of Masters series, 500, and 250 event titles to win the Olympic Gold. It's the one thing that Djokovic will probably never win, it's the one thing Federer will never win. The Olympics is the most prestigious sporting event in the world, don't disregard it's importance.

Whiznot
09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Olympic tennis is a complete joke for every player other than Murray. The Gold had great value for Murray specifically because of the Wimby venue and his recent GS loss to Fed.

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Olympic tennis is a complete joke for every player other than Murray. The Gold had great value for Murray specifically because of the Wimby venue and his recent GS loss to Fed.

Yeah. We see players crying all the time when they win/lose matches. That's how trivial this event is. It's also the reason why Federer had been talking about the Olympics being at Wimbledon for 4 years.

Novak's goals for this year were RG and Olympic Gold... Obviously he changed his mind.

MurrayMagic1
09-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Olympics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other masters 1000, 500, 250 tournaments

Sanya
09-15-2012, 07:08 PM
I hoped that hysteria about Olympics to be "the greatest event in sport" would finish after Andy taking US. How delusional I was... :facepalm:

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
I hoped that hysteria about Olympics to be "the greatest event in sport" would finish after Andy taking US. How delusional I was... :facepalm:

The USO title is obviously worth more. But, the Olympics are more prestigious than a Masters title. Especially if the field is as deluded as Toronto was this year.

Sanya
09-15-2012, 07:17 PM
The USO title is obviously worth more. But, the Olympics are more prestigious than a Masters title. Especially if the field is as deluded as Toronto was this year.

In fact it depends on criterias. And actually it`s far easier to defend point of view that Masters > Olympics because of simple figures - money and points.

Strong/easy field, prestigious, "would chose/will be remembered for" - these criterias are far more fragile. Prestigious... What is it, how can you count it? Common opinion maybe? That`s again, too general notion.

And I`m telling it being supporter position that Olympics > Masters.

TigerTim
09-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I would rather a Olympic gold than a Masters for sure

tbh I would probably rather a Olympic gold than WTF, in terms of it being more recognizable, though WTF is the better achievement

cardio
09-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I said it before : year end # 1 is not equal player of the year. Not always, especially if several players are so close achievement wise.

For top guns, tennis is about winning. Runner-up gets good points in rankings, but he is still a loser. Ask Djokovic , he should know difference between winning all 3 slam finals he played last year and losing 2 slam finals this year. Plus Olympic failure, when he lost TWICE ! I think this is heartbreaking year of failures for him, even if he gets his number 1. spot back.

WTF decides a lot. If someone of top 4 will get it, he probably is player of the year. (I dont think out of form Nadal would have realistic chance to win it, but who knows ...) If someone outside top 4 wins WTF , Murray is player of the year.

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I didn't say 3 masters titles are worth less than an Olympic Gold. Just that ONE Masters is worth less.

I think events are as valuable as players make them out to be. Even if the ranking points might not reflect that.

If I said 3 Masters > 1 Slam, people would call me crazy.

Sanya
09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I didn't say 3 masters titles are worth less than an Olympic Gold. Just that ONE Masters is worth less.

I think events are as valuable as players make them out to be. Even if the ranking points might not reflect that.

If I said 3 Masters > 1 Slam, people would call me crazy.

No. 3 Masters > 1 Slam, everything is OK here. Only Slamtards would complain. Tennis is more than 4 tournaments per year.

Cereal Killer
09-15-2012, 08:10 PM
I think before the USO, Murray would have gladly traded all of his eight Masters for one Slam. :lol:

TigerTim
09-15-2012, 08:19 PM
yep

Imperfect Angel
09-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Nole has a slight edge over Murray and Fed atm...Murray is never the World #1 yet...so he will not win unless he somehow got to #1 and win YEC and the Asian/Indoors swing.

Federer4Everer
09-16-2012, 09:23 AM
As to the prestige of a masters versus the olympics, there was a well-attended poll of MTF a while ago. I think the poll answered the question once and for all that, points or no points, olympic gold is more prestigious.

saniapower
09-16-2012, 09:27 AM
:topic:

Why http://www.atptennis.com/ not opening !

Allez
09-16-2012, 09:54 AM
The gold breaks the tie in Murray's favour by quite some margin.

NadalSharapova
09-16-2012, 01:48 PM
murray clearly

in an olympic year there are 5 majors, murray has two of them

August
10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Now that Nole beat Murray, I'd say he's the player of the year so far. Yeah, he lost the most important match against Andy this season, the USO final, and their H2H this season is 3-3. But Nole wasn't as bad on grass than Andy on clay. And even if Nole didn't beat another top4 player between Miami and Shanghai finals, he was most consistent top player whereas Andy has had more upset losses. Last week highlighted that, Nole won a 500 in Beijing whereas Andy lost to Raonic in Tokyo 500's semi.

And as Nole is almost sure year-end No.1, I think he's probably the player of the year. Roger could've been PoY if he would have been YE #1. But if Andy went to win WTF, I think he could be PoY, Wimby Final + Olympic Gold + USO + WTF would be quite impressing, maybe even more impressing than AO + RG & USO finals + 3 TMSs.

BroTree123
10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Nole. AO final, and now that Shanghai turnaround.

Nole fan
10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
AO, Miami, Toronto, Shangai. 3 slam finals. He's player of the year for me. Murray is pretty close as is Federer.

BigJohn
10-14-2012, 03:59 PM
The WTF winner will be player of the year.

BroTree123
10-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, huge notable achievements amongst the top 4 this year.

Noleta
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Muzza,he won a gold medal;something both Nole and Roger so badly wants.

Saberq
10-14-2012, 04:04 PM

I think a player with most points this year at the end will be the player of the year

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-14-2012, 04:06 PM
whoever wins WTF will be player of the year for me

Freak3yman84
10-14-2012, 04:08 PM

whoever wins WTF will be player of the year for me

Watch it be Tipsarevic... :o

uxyzapenje
10-14-2012, 04:15 PM

:facepalm: No you Fedtard, it will be Novak unless Roger wins both Paris and WTF. 1 Slam, 3 Masters, 2 GS finals, 1 GS SF and he lost before the SF only ONCE this year (out of 15 tournaments), lost only ONCE to non-top10 player (#11 Isner) and will (probably) have most points from the smallest number of tournaments played (not counting Nadal, Monfils and the rest of injured players).

uxyzapenje
10-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Watch it be Tipsarevic... :o

I can only dream :D

Freak3yman84
10-14-2012, 04:19 PM
I can only dream :D

:lol: I'd like to see that too! Just to piss them off :p

Looner
10-14-2012, 04:19 PM
If it's someone from the top 3, he'll be player of the year. Otherwise it'll probably be Murray by virtue of the Gold. Player of the Year for me is about highlights and Djoko hasn't had enough of them. He'll still be the deserving #1 though.

finishingmove
10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
No2.2e

Saberq
10-14-2012, 04:23 PM
If it's someone from the top 3, he'll be player of the year. Otherwise it'll probably be Murray by virtue of the Gold. Player of the Year for me is about highlights and Djoko hasn't had enough of them. He'll still be the deserving #1 though.

I disagree with that it's about results.If Fed wins WTF and Paris he is the player of the year

BroTree123
10-14-2012, 04:24 PM
I nominate Warlocq for his tremendous personality and demeanour.

Looner
10-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I disagree with that it's about results.If Fed wins WTF and Paris he is the player of the year

Yeah, defining what we mean by Player of the year would be good. It was too obvious in seasons past but this season it's tight. I remember a pundit talking about it being very close this year and it really has been.

I don't think Fed will play Paris btw.

Nole Rules
10-14-2012, 05:19 PM
If Fed wins WTF, he will be the player of the year without a doubt. If he doesn't, then it's Novak. Murray isn't be the player of the year even if he wins WTF. That's just my opinion.

Winner Seaker
10-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Until now - Novak Djokovic.

For the year end , WTF and Paris will decide.

Lleyton_
10-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Once again, it will be the year-end no.1. Djokovic most likely as he's more than 2000 points ahead of Olderer right now.

GSMnadal
10-14-2012, 05:36 PM
It was Nadal until he got injured, now it's Djokovic. Murray a really close second with his gold, if he can add the Toast Finals he might just sneak it. But he probably sucked too much on clay to win it.

out_grinder
10-14-2012, 05:37 PM
It was Nadal until he got injured, now it's Djokovic. Murray a really close second with his gold, if he can add the Toast Finals he might just sneak it. But he probably sucked too much on clay to win it.

It's Nadal, even though he's injured, no?

Nole Rules
10-14-2012, 05:52 PM
In case Murray ends the year as n.3 in the world AFTER winning the WTF, how can he be the player of the year as #3 in the world? When was the last time a #3 won the POY award?

duarte_a
10-14-2012, 05:53 PM

:stupid:

Sorry can't help it, your posts make me react this way.

murray a close second with the gold medal??!!!! murray has won 0 masters 1000. Roger has the silver medal and 3 masters 1000, djokovic has 3 masters 1000 and reached the finals in RG and the USO. Both are above murray.

murray is currently the 4th best behind Roger, djokovic and nadal.

GSMnadal
10-14-2012, 05:59 PM
:stupid:

Sorry can't help it, your posts make me react this way.

murray a close second with the gold medal??!!!! murray has won 0 masters 1000. Roger has the silver medal and 3 masters 1000, djokovic has 3 masters 1000 and reached the finals in RG and the USO. Both are above murray.

At least you explain yourself this time, then I don't mind it. I'd trade in 3 masters for olympic gold any time. Murray has 1 win, a final, a semi and a QF in slams. Rog only the one win, two semi's and a QF. He's definitely behind Andy to me.

Lleyton_
10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
In case Murray ends the year as n.3 in the world AFTER winning the WTF, how can he be the player of the year as #3 in the world? When was the last time a #3 won the POY award?

He can't.

GSMnadal
10-14-2012, 06:05 PM
It's Nadal, even though he's injured, no?

Your words, not mine

Saberq
10-14-2012, 06:05 PM
how is this close only Djokovic and Federer are candidates for this title

samanosuke
10-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Rosol without any doubt. The guy has saved dignity of the sport

GOATsol
10-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Rosol without any doubt. The guy has saved dignity of the sport
:yeah:

Lleyton_
10-14-2012, 06:23 PM

He's definitely behind Andy to me.

:facepalm:

It's exactly as the race rankings suggest. Luckily there is a system that is relatively successful or else with these fanboys, who knows who would win what. Murray would win POY and Djokovic would end-up with newcomer of the year, perhaps.

Djoko is the most consistent in slams, masters and is rightfully no.1 in the race right now. Olderer is one win behind Murray in slams but has 3 masters to 0 so you do the math. Olympic gold is worth 750 pts, not enough to compensate for Mugray's pathetic performance in Masters 1000s.

The current standings are accurate. Hope this helps.

Saberq
10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
gold medal is a little better than a 500 event.Worth in national pride maybe

Honestly
10-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Nothing between these 3. The winner of the WTF should clinch it.

BigJohn
10-14-2012, 07:21 PM
:facepalm: No you Fedtard, it will be Novak unless Roger wins both Paris and WTF. 1 Slam, 3 Masters, 2 GS finals, 1 GS SF and he lost before the SF only ONCE this year (out of 15 tournaments), lost only ONCE to non-top10 player (#11 Isner) and will (probably) have most points from the smallest number of tournaments played (not counting Nadal, Monfils and the rest of injured players).

... who also happens to be for the moment short on titles.

duarte_a
10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
gold medal is a little better than a 500 event.Worth in national pride maybe

It's so obvious. How can anyone say a gold medal is worth more than 3 masters 1000 when assessing a player's season.

Saberq
10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
It's so obvious. How can anyone say a gold medal is worth more than 3 masters 1000 when assessing a player's season.

it's worth even less than 1 MS 1000 :haha:

Moozza
10-14-2012, 07:54 PM
it's worth even less than 1 MS 1000 :haha:

Olympics obviously mean much more to the players. You just have to listen to them speak about the olympics, in fact I think both Nadal and Federer have spoken about Rio already.

August
10-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Some comparision between Djo-Mur, Djo-Fed, and Fed-Mur:

Djo-Mur:

On early season hardcourts their H2H was 2-1 for Nole, and Nole won the most important meetings at AO and Miami. And he achieved more, AO and Miami titles plus two semis. Andy achieved Brisbane's 250 title, Miami and Dubai finals, and AO semi. On clay Nole was 2nd best player whereas Andy was hardly a top 10 player. Nole reached final at RG and at two TMSs, Andy didn't even get past QF. On grass Andy was better, maybe best of all, he reached Wimbledon final and won Olympic Gold whereas Nole reached Wimby and OG semis. In OG semi Andy beat Nole, and was definitely the better player. But Nole looked more consistent on grass, Andy had some tight matches. And again in USO final Andy beat Nole, but the match was tight. And Nole was more consistent, in bout USO and pre-USO TMSs, so I wouldn't say Andy was better in USO series. And Shanghai was another tight final, Nole wasn't much better. But once again he was more consistent, Andy wasn't too good at Shangai or at Tokyo 500 where he reached only SF while Nole won another 500 in Beijing.

So both won one slam. But Nole's had a slight edge on hardcourts and he was much better on clay whereas Andy was better on grass. So Nole should be better. And I don't think Andy's Olympic Gold is enough, Nole has two runner-ups compared to Andy's one, and Nole's done better in TMSs. But WTF would make Andy PoY, OG and WTF are the two biggest non-slams, and way more important than TMSs or slam runner-ups.

Djo-Fed

Both players had good early hardcourt seasons, Nole won AO and Miami as well as reached IW and Dubai semis. On the other hand, Federer won Rotterdam, Dubai, and IW, as well as reached AO semis. But as Nole had won AO, he had achieved more. In the clay season these players met twice, in the semis of Rome and RG which both were won by Nole. And in general, Nole's clay season was better. On grass, Fed was the better of these two. Fed took an impressive SF won at Wimby and went to win that tournament and later reach Olympic silver, also on grass, whereas Nole reached SFs on both tournaments. That was maybe the only part of the season when Roger was better than Nole. After the Olympics Nole won Toronto where Fed didn't play but they met in the Cincinnati final. Roger took a brilliant win, but Nole had a better run at the USO where he reached the final while Fed lost in QF. And Fed wasn't too impressive in his first post-USO tournament at Shanghai where he reached SF while Nole won it, and Nole had also won at Beijing in the previous week.

So Nole was slightly better on hardcourts and clay, Fed was better on grass. Both players have one slam title and three TMS titles. But Nole has also two slam runner-ups and three TMS runner-ups whereas Roger has Olympic silver. I'd say these runner-ups make Nole's season better. And I don't think even Paris and WTF titles would make Roger PoY, Nole's TMS and slam runner-ups compensate that. Only becoming YE #1 would make Roger PoY, i.e. Roger should have perfect indoor season and Nole should have a terrible indoor season.

Fed-Mur

Both players reached AO semis but Fed had better early hardcourt season, he won Rotterdam, Dubai, and IW whereas Andy won Brisbane 250 and reached Dubai and Miami final. And Fed beat Andy in Dubai final. On clay, Fed was clearly better, he won on blue clay in Madrid and reached semis on red clay of Rome and RG whereas Andy couldn't get past QFs on clay. On grass these were the two best players, they reached Wimbledon and Olympic finals, Fed won the more important Wimby final, Andy OG final, still I think Andy played best grass tennis of the season in OG. But Fed had better grass season. After OG Fed won Cincy but lost in USO QFs whereas Andy won USO. And Andy won their last meeting in Shanghai SF to reach his 2nd season TMS final.

I'd say these two players are very much on level. Fed was slightly better on early HC season and on grass, he was much better on clay, but Andy's been better on post-grass HC season. Both players have one slam, and Fed's three TMSs compensate very much Andy's Olympic gold. But Andy has a slightly better slam record, he was also slam runner-up once. But WTF title, or even Paris title if Andy has a terrible indoor season, would make Fed's season better.

So, so far I'd say the best players have been:

1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Federer

And only Andy can threaten Nole as PoY if he wins WTF.

samanosuke
10-14-2012, 09:23 PM
and where is Rosol in this story ?

MuzzahLovah
10-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Cherry on top of this season would be Murray winning the WTF.
Failing that, Djokovic deserves it.

Saberq
10-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Olympics obviously mean much more to the players. You just have to listen to them speak about the olympics, in fact I think both Nadal and Federer have spoken about Rio already.

sure but in terms of ranking and points it's not that big

August
10-14-2012, 10:07 PM
and where is Rosol in this story ?

I'll add a poll after WTF, and it'll have the option "Other, specify".

Jimnik
10-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Ferrer

This is a serious answer btw. I'm not a fan of Vulture King but at his age one has to respect the intensity, consistency, fitness, stamina and motivation he showed this year. Too good.

August
10-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Ferrer

This is a serious answer btw. I'm not a fan of Vulture King but at his age one has to respect the intensity, consistency, fitness, stamina and motivation he showed this year. Too good.

Yep, he's having the best season of his career at the age of 30.

I thought possibly to open another thread "2012 Man of the Year", that would be not only about who's had the best season, but who's made the biggest impression. Guys like Ferrer, Rosol, etc. might get more votes in it. And I could possibly count the votes manually, that'd allow each user vote multiple players and rank them.

SerialKillerToBe
10-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Nole. He will have year end number 1, which is the deciding factor if slams are all tied.

homogenius
10-14-2012, 11:07 PM
The top4 shared the big titles but Nole had better slams results overall and was consistent all year, on all surfaces (and had no WTF losses, unlike Fed and Murray).If he finishes the year #1 he'll get it.

BigJohn
10-14-2012, 11:14 PM
I thought possibly to open another thread "2012 Man of the Year", that would be not only about who's had the best season, but who's made the biggest impression.

That would be Murray's storyline from Wimbledon to the USO. Nothing comes close.

guga2120
10-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Right now I would still say Mandy, but if Novak wins either Paris or wtf, its him. Andy's clay season was just weak.

Saberq
10-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Right now I would still say Mandy, but if Novak wins either Paris or wtf, its him. Andy's clay season was just weak.

unlike his number of titles this year you know.....LOL Mandy is not even top 3

leng jai
10-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Tommy Ass

guga2120
10-15-2012, 12:20 AM
unlike his number of titles this year you know.....LOL Mandy is not even top 3

Top 3? Wtf are you talking about. He won the olympics, which is bigger than anything other than the slams. I think it will be Novak in the end, b/c he should take either Paris or wtf. He had a much better clay season as well.

Honestly
10-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Top 3? Wtf are you talking about. He won the olympics, which is bigger than anything other than the slams. I think it will be Novak in the end, b/c he should take either Paris or wtf. He had a much better clay season as well.

The Olympics is not even MS level. I don't see clowns like Massu and Rosset winning MS. Murray won half of the events Fed won. The best player of 2012 so far is between Fed and Djoker.

Freak3yman84
10-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Warlocq. And it's not contest.

Saberq
10-15-2012, 12:38 AM

Olympics is nothing but a 3/4 of a MS 1000 with a medal at the end.Overrated.He won 2 titles 1 Slam and 0 Masters.Rafa won 1 Slam and 2 masters he is above him

The Olympics is not even MS level. I don't see clowns like Massu and Rosset winning MS. Murray won half of the events Fed won. The best player of 2012 so far is between Fed and Djoker.

Exactly....

Filo V.
10-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Filippo Volandri.

Sauletekis
10-15-2012, 04:31 AM
If Mugray wasn't so useless on clay, maybe this year could be his. But it's between Nole and Fed. It's a shame, because if it wasn't for Rafa injury, the spanish player would be "easily" the better one, me thinks. I think it's going to be Nole. Federer is not showing good signs, even if this is his favourite part of the season. He's too tired mentally.

Sauletekis
10-15-2012, 04:34 AM
Filippo Volandri.

It's not about the player you think it's more good looking. It's about people that actually can play good competitive tennis, without fixing a match.

The words "LOLandri" and "tennis player" shouldn't even belong to the same sentence...

Filo V.
10-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Filippo Volandri is player of the year. Has nothing to do with looks, although he also wins in that category.

Shinoj
10-15-2012, 05:50 AM
70 - 11 is slightly better than 64-9 at the moment.

Jverweij
10-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Novak Djokovic is my pick. Most consistent. It may still change though. If either Murray or Fed goes on a tear. Very unlikely however.

Roger the Dodger
10-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Its between TMF and the Joker.

Dunno why Murray seems to have become so important for this contest. ATP would not consider his Olympic Gold over his peer's 3 ATP masters shields each in the final judgment for an ATP award.

Nole fan
10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Bodo speaks the truth...

The Racquet Scientist: The Rankings vs. The Race
Peter BodoThursday, October 11, 2012

Those of you who caught me confusing an ATP player’s ranking with his standing in the “Race to London,” which determines the qualifiers for the World Tour Finals in a few weeks’ time, probably already know how I could make such an obvious error. These days, clicking on the ATP’s rankings tab takes you to the Race table, not the official, rolling, 12-month rankings.

The noteworthy aspect of the ATP’s clever if somewhat confusing decision to suddenly make the Race the default rankings module is that it makes a whole lot of sense. For if you look at the 12-month rankings, you see that Roger Federer enjoys a very comfortable lead of nearly 1,000 points over his closest pursuer, Novak Djokovic (11,805 to 10,970).

But if you look at the Race table, which computes points earned this year, you’ll see that Djokovic has a lead of about 1,600 points (10,410 to 8,895). The disparity exists because that official ranking is still carrying the points Federer earned from October through November of last year. Those points will disappear, of course, as each successive week passes, replaced by whatever he earned in the week in question this year.

The situation illustrates that when it comes to the prestigious year-end ranking, the Race table is a far better measure than the rankings of where the players stand and what their immediate prospects are. And as a bonus, when the year finally ends, the Race and rankings will converge (because of the rollover nature of the rankings). Additionally, the very concept of a “race” is always exciting.

Given the way Djokovic has been playing, his lead in the Race this year looks nearly insurmountable. That means the ideal scenario—in which the year-end championships decide the final ranking for 2012—probably will not come to pass.

The situation reminds me of the battle the ATP lost some years ago, when it sought to emphasize and accord a higher priority to the Race than the rankings on a permanent, year-round basis. I was one of the many pundits and insiders consulted on the subject and I wholeheartedly endorsed the idea that the Race ought to be the centerpiece.

I’ve felt all along that the rankings are really a measure of consistency—a rating, rather than a ranking. They must be maintained in any event, for seeding purposes. So I was disappointed when the ATP’s effort to implement just that reversal of emphasis was an enormous flop, and the rankings once again became the go-to indicator of a player’s status.

That experiment was doomed because the Race can be extremely unreliable until a fairly advanced portion of the year. It wasn’t so long ago (and it was during the period when this issue was on a front burner) that the Australian Open champion was likely to be a Thomas Johansson, or a Petr Korda. That would give a relatively obscure player a lead that would be hard to overcome, with the next major almost a full five months away. It’s a little bit like a marathon foot race. Where the players rank in the first few miles can be meaningless by the middle of the race.

We’re living in different times, though, although these too are sure to pass. It’s been a decade now since Johansson was the last Aussie Open champion whose success would be called surprising. And considering the strength of the Top 4, it’s unlikely that another Johansson will pop up in the near future.

That means a race would be less likely to feature a puzzling or confusing list of names near the top until the mid-point of the year. If you look at the roll of tournament winners in 2012 starting in January, the top men are appropriately represented, and there are are just enough surprising names (Kevin Anderson, Jurgen Melzer, Nicolas Almagro) to make the race approach interesting, instead of chaotic.

And there’s no doubt that a proper race would be more dramatic, especially in times like these. Everyone loves a race, right? Perhaps it was a mistake to demote the Race in favor of the rankings after so brief a trial. Djokovic, the “true” No. 1 thus far in 2012, might agree.

Looner
10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Bodo is an idiot.

samanosuke
10-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I'll add a poll after WTF, and it'll have the option "Other, specify".

how the main favorite could be under "Other, specify" option ?

Nole fan
10-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Bodo is an idiot.

Still knows more tennis than you do. :p

Pirata.
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Debatable, at times.

duarte_a
10-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Djokovic, the “true” No. 1 thus far in 2012, might agree.

Didn't bother to read the rest.

This part is obviously true, THUS FAR IN 2012 djokovic is the "real" #1. Using the same logic the world #1 TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE PAST YEAR (52 weeks) is Roger Federer.

It seems so simple and easy to understand yet people seem confused about it.

Roger Federer is he real and deserving world number 1.

Honestly
10-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Debatable, at times.

Nonsense. General Looner has more tennis knowledge in his left eyebrow than Bozo the clown.

nick the greek
10-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Nonsense. General Looner has more tennis knowledge in his left eyebrow than Bozo the clown.
Private Looney Boy knows jack shit.

Looner
10-16-2012, 12:54 AM

That may well be true but he writes bollocks like the one you posted to get clicks from different factions and he adjusts accordingly to attract everyone.

Thanks for the support, general :lol:.

BigJohn
10-16-2012, 01:17 AM
I'm conflicted about the General shit going on there.

I assume it is done sarcastically and if it is indeed, it is pretty well done, but at the same time, sarcastic Castle lingo is nevertheless Castle lingo, and in itself retarded and annoying.

uxyzapenje
10-16-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm conflicted about the General shit going on there.

I assume it is done sarcastically and if it is indeed, it is pretty well done, but at the same time, sarcastic Castle lingo is nevertheless Castle lingo, and in itself retarded and annoying.

Roger that GenEral BigJohn.

I edited it just for you, I know you don't like when someone misspells your title, sorry for that General :hatoff:

BigJohn
10-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Roger that Genral BigJohn.

Genral???

Book it anyway.

Looner
10-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Roger that Genral BigJohn.

Genral???

Book it anyway.

:spit: :haha:.

Sauletekis
10-16-2012, 02:33 AM
I'm not by any means a Fed fan, but please Noletards. Stop with this bullshit of "Real number 1". In the last year Fed IS the better player, whether you like it or not. In this year it's true that Nole is leading, and I also believe he is the big favourite, but we all know that Fed peaks at WTF and Nole suck big time. Wait for the end of the year, and then we will say who's the most deserving or not. BTW, in my book, a real number one shouldn't be destroyed by Mugray in a Slam final. Any lost versus Andy would be acceptable but NOT in a SLAM FINAL! That Brat should not BELONG to the GS list of winners, IMO.

Alex999
10-16-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm not by any means a Fed fan, but please Noletards. Stop with this shit of Real number. In the last year Fed IS the better player, whether you like it or not. In this year it's true that Nole is leading, and I also believe he is the big favourite, but we all know that Fed peaks at WTF and Nole suck big time. Wait for the end of the year, and then we will say who's the most deserving or not. BTW, in my book, a real number one shouldn't be destroyed by Mugray in a Slam final. Any lost versus Andy would be acceptable but NOT in a SLAM FINAL! That Brat should not BELONG to the GS list of winners, IMO.
love your passion for Fed, but Nole is stronger this year. what Nole tards, btw? few of us old farts? leave Nole farts alone or I'm going to sing that song from Briney Spears, 'gimme baby one more time' and it's not going to be pretty;)

heya
10-16-2012, 03:04 AM
How is getting through cake walk draws with a slumping Djoker, injured chokers Del Potro, Benneteau and hapless Tsonga considered great?

Looner
10-16-2012, 03:21 AM
love your passion for Fed, but Nole is stronger this year. what Nole tards, btw? few of us old farts? leave Nole farts alone or I'm going to sing that song from Briney Spears, 'gimme baby one more time' and it's not going to be pretty;)

He's talking about those pitiful persons such as rinnegan, Zazoo (he's back :facepalm:) and a whole host of other geniuses who go on about the "real #1" since Roger rightfully took over as the world's best player after SW19.

Nole fan
10-16-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not by any means a Fed fan, but please Noletards. Stop with this bullshit of "Real number 1". In the last year Fed IS the better player, whether you like it or not. In this year it's true that Nole is leading, and I also believe he is the big favourite, but we all know that Fed peaks at WTF and Nole suck big time. Wait for the end of the year, and then we will say who's the most deserving or not. BTW, in my book, a real number one shouldn't be destroyed by Mugray in a Slam final. Any lost versus Andy would be acceptable but NOT in a SLAM FINAL! That Brat should not BELONG to the GS list of winners, IMO.

You're cute and all, but you're missing the point here. :p
Djokovic won WTF in 2008, you know? Neither Nadal nor Murray have ever done it. So don't assume he sucks at it. Last year for obvious reasons he tanked. After the best season in tennis ever, he had all the right to. Plus in the Race Nole has over 2000 points, if that doesn't tell you who is the real n#1 then I don't know what will do.

BigJohn
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Djokovic won WTF in 2008, you know? Neither Nadal nor Murray have ever done it. So don't assume he sucks at it. Last year for obvious reasons he tanked. After the best season in tennis ever, he had all the right to. Plus in the Race Nole has over 2000 points, if that doesn't tell you who is the real n#1 then I don't know what will do.

He tanked the WTF... :rolleyes:

Matt01
10-16-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm not by any means a Fed fan, but please Noletards. Stop with this bullshit of "Real number 1".

I agree.

In the last year Fed IS the better player, whether you like it or not. In this year it's true that Nole is leading, and I also believe he is the big favourite, but we all know that Fed peaks at WTF and Nole suck big time.

Nole won the WTF few years so what are you talking about :rolleyes:

Wait for the end of the year, and then we will say who's the most deserving or not. BTW, in my book, a real number one shouldn't be destroyed by Mugray in a Slam final. Any lost versus Andy would be acceptable but NOT in a SLAM FINAL! That Brat should not BELONG to the GS list of winners, IMO.

"Mugray" what an original name. :rolleyes: And Federer got destroyed even harder at the Olympics by "Mugray" so I see you are just trolling and not making any sense.

Noleta
10-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Well he's leading Roger in the race by more than 2000 points:shrug:

Roger will be the favourite for the WTF,but Nole won in 2008,the other yrs he was either running on empty,had a shoulder injury:shrug:

Destroyed by Murray?He fought back but he was at the end exhausted.

Just my thoughts:hatoff:

rocketassist
10-16-2012, 03:56 PM

5 slam finals suggest otherwise.

Lopez
10-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Federer is the real nr.1 of course since he's ranked nr.1. If Djokovic and Federer replicate their last year's results from here on, Federer will be ranked nr.1 at the end of the year.

Naturally Djokovic is in great form right now, so it'll be difficult for Roger to hold on to the nr.1 ranking at the end of the year. Whoever is ranked nr.1 at the end of the year is the best player from that year, and probably should be chosen as player of the year.

One of the best ;)

August
11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
I’ve now added the poll. Please, try to be objective and vote for the best player of 2012. For discussions about which player had the best season, there’s this (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=211446) thread, I’ll add there a poll after the Davis Cup final.

Freak3yman84
11-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Warlocq. The man saved tennis.

Matt01
11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Djokovic but Monaco comes close.

Nole fan
11-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Dedicated to BigJohn. :bigwave: