Rate the 2012 US Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rate the 2012 US Open

August
09-11-2012, 06:33 PM
How would you rate this year's US Open. I'd give it a 5, and I think a slam couldn't have much worse rating, it still has so good a field. The court was too slow and scheduling bad as usual in USO, this year's weather just showed so well how stupid USTA are with scheduling.

From tennis perspective, I didn't find USO too exiting. Nole was so dominant except for the final and the 1st set against Ferrer. The final was awful, only good thing was that Andy won, maybe he'll have more confidence in his next GS finals, we may see better playing from him. Another match the result of which I liked was Berdy beating Roger, it was nice to see Tomas in SF and that match showed not even Federer is sure to reach SF.

caisenma
09-11-2012, 06:36 PM
it didn't do too much for me. few upsets, far too much grinding which i don't find appealing. seeing del potro, whom i don't even cheer for, go unrewarded for his offensive tactics against novak doesn't work for me.

if the balls were lighter, that'd have probably made things interesting for me. i think court speed was too big of an issue here... the balls themselves didn't seem to travel as fast as they should.

Sanya
09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
0? I didn`t like this one at all.

Looner
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
3/10.

Fed fordawin
09-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I give it a 3, and I'm being generous.

Disgusting surface, disgusting exit of the best player in the world in QF

Disgusting wind, disgusting rain.

Disgusting USTA.

Only Murray winning it saves it a little.

debby
09-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Well 10/10 but 100% objective reasons. :D:D No seriously, if I was reasonable I would give it like a 5-6/10, but I am over the moon and it has not sunk in yet, so yeah 10 :cool:

Mountaindewslave
09-11-2012, 07:13 PM
pretty bad. besides the exciting nature of Murray finally winning a GS and the Ferrer/Tipsarevic match, the tournament blew

TigerTim
09-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I rated it 10 but that is a joke.

This year the USO was a joke. Aside from Murray's win it was pretty awful.

brithater
09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Terrible. Speed up the courts and go back to 16 seeds instead of 32 and then your might regain some excitment at the event. Boring tournmanent this year. Comentary coverage was the worst I have ever seen. Very classless with little to no analysis. Get Wilander and Hewitt in the booth instead of ego driven Courier and Bitter Navratilova spewing garbage. Chris Fowler needs to go as well....Tennis Commentary should not be about politics.

Isner Kohlschrieber match was the only one I found interesting enough to sit through. Final was boring IMO. Looked like a match in the juniors.

jerrard
09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
below average

Nr 1 Fan
09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Overall it was the worst slam in a long while. No excitement at all. Even the semis, normally my favorite round, sucked.

Only Ferrer-Tipsarevic and the final are matches worth mentioning. Del Potro retiring Roddick was good (no Roddick hater).

Nothing else worth remembering comes to mind.

Nr 1 Fan
09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
And even that final was more fun to watch because of the intensity, drama and the surprising winner than because of the quality play.

Serverer
09-11-2012, 07:40 PM
This was awful, but it will be even worse next year when Rafa is a lock to be in the final and play a 8 hour epic against Djoker or Murray.

Sunset of Age
09-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Bad.
One of my favs wasn't able to play, and the other one decided after four practice matches that he wasn't in for a decent performance either. :o

Tsonga :help: Dolgo http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/clown-smiley.gif?1292867571
Ferrer's performance and Murray winning it brings it trois points.

And yes of course - okay, the wet windy conditions may have to do with it as well, but I truly hoped that those slow-as-sh*t courts we witnessed in 2011 were indeed the result of an 'unfortunate paint mistake' as some claimed it was.
I have now come to the conclusion that those courts have been slowed down on purpose as it wasn't any better than last year.

Seriously, a 54-points rally in a USO Final? Which is supposed to be on fast HC and thereby facilitating fast, attacking tennis? :speakles:
Don't get me wrong, I like long grinding rallys - at RG, or any other clay tournament, or perhaps even at IW/Miami.
But at the USO??? It's just plain damn WRONG.

Who are these donuts among the tennis PTB who apparently think that endless, boring rallys ending up with an UE are 'the way to go' - on every surface? :silly: :tape:

Certinfy
09-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Awesome.

One of my faves won it, couldn't care a rest about anything else, oh and my fave made the SF which is also great. :)

DarkMarc
09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
2/10. worst ive seen since i started following tennis in 2003, but thats only based on all the players i dislike went far and all the players i like went out early. combined with the stupid weather and scheduling. u gotta say there were a fair bunch of 5 setters and comebacks from 2 sets down which is always exciting and saves the one point for me, but all the wrong players won all the time in my point of view :-/ murray winning it in the end obviously only made matters worse, the only good result was isner bowing out to kohlschreiber when i really apprehended that he might go far...

selyoink
09-11-2012, 09:35 PM
1- terrible court speed, terrible matches, terrible scheduling, terrible weather

rocketassist
09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
As a fan 10, logically about 4. USTA and CBS were clowns and sad to lose Roddick. The best match quality wise for me was Gulbis-Haas.

Mercury
09-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Ferrer v Tipsy is the only match worth mentioning for tennis quality. Other than that it's all unrelated to tennis with Roddick retiring and Andy finally winning one.

Was real bad in general. Gave it a 2 and it woulda been 0 if not for above mentioned reasons cause even the final was a junior class match.

Arkin
09-11-2012, 10:08 PM
averaging 4.45 for the moment

Slade
09-11-2012, 10:15 PM
2/10

Little excitement and horrible conditions/scheduling, also lackluster final

JurajCrane
09-11-2012, 10:19 PM
All bad things mentioned above like court speed, wheather, schedulling ...

Positives for me : new, fresh grandslam winner and Klizan reaching 4th round and playing on Ashe :)

Moozza
09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
10/10 of course.

The scheduling and weather were not great but I could not care less now that Andy won. The final, while maybe not the best ever quality wise, was great drama and the way Andy closed it out in the fifth, to win his first slam, was excellent.

EliSter
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Windy.

Edda
09-12-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm glad it's over. I'm more excited about Davis Cup.

Topspindoctor
09-12-2012, 01:00 AM
1/10

Mandy Windray lucking out against choking mugs and tired Djoker, assisted by USTA mafia made this the worst slam after Wimbledon.

This year's slams:

AO>RG>W>USO

BroTree123
09-12-2012, 04:32 AM
0/10.

This slam never existed.

Paylu2007
09-12-2012, 06:04 AM
sad part is that we say this was really slow court, but Serena won on the women's side...

Tennis is really lame nowadays, WTA tour has been a joke since a few years ago, and ATP is about to become the same.. Matches are not enjoyable anymore, grindfest, pushfest, errorfest, moonballfest (not so much lately, dunno why :devil:).... Only match i felt like watching was Berdych/Federer...

Tennis is slowly dying :(

HKz
09-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Well tough to say. From an unbiased point of view (not lowering my judgement because Rafa couldn't make it) the quality of play for the overall tournament I would say is a 6 or 7.. The tournament started great actually, with lots of thrilling matches and some good quality, however, once the weather kicked in, honestly the second week became quite a joke in terms of quality. However, of course Murray finally won and there was quite a bit of new drama with Federer out of the SFs, as there was a high chance for a new GS winner, so those were certainly a plus. But really, Novak played extremely mediocre tennis for his QF/SF matches and the final was honestly pretty bad. Certainly not the players' fault entirely since the conditions were indeed tough, but I have seen much, much, much better performances in the wind, so they do have to take some blame for the really cautious and rather boring play.. I mean Novak wasn't beating on the ball until midway in the second set, but he kept reverting back to floating the ball and making a lot of very poor errors.. So many shots were up the middle of the court and not even deep, and both players gifted each other with so many service breaks. Murray could have won the first two sets much easier or Djokovic could have even taken the first two sets as well.

So overall, a C+

hipolymer
09-12-2012, 07:14 AM
0/10. Tipsarevic losing to dirt pusher. Berdych losing to dirty pusher. Nole losing to dirty pusher. Tennis is dead.

finishingmove
09-12-2012, 07:16 AM
One of the best in years.

9/10.

But, come to think of the weather, I'd give it 7/10 actually.

Greatness
09-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Shit tournament with terrible scheduling and 18 mph wind in the final to insure the players spend more time dealing with conditions then playing their best.

Chase Visa
09-12-2012, 07:33 AM
4. Nice to have a first-time winner but it was fairly forgettable and the scheduling was fucked up (although I suppose this is the US Open...lol)

Johnbert
09-12-2012, 07:39 AM
this tournament really sucked. stupid organizers (scheduling, rain delays etc. pp), disgusting loss from fed against birdmen (who lost as expected in the next match). all my favs fucked up early (especially wta...).

few positive things:
- kohlschreiber beating isner r3
- murray won his 1st gs-title
- ferrer-tipsy match was great

Jimnik
09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Pretty good, except Nishi losing to Cilic. Trying to blank it out.