Of the younger "top 4" who will age the best? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Of the younger "top 4" who will age the best?

indianabones
09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Djokovic is 25
Murray is a week older.
Nadal is 26, about a year older.

Of the three mentioned, who do you think will age the best? We all know why Fed was and still is relatively competititve into his 30s, but can those 3 age as well as him?

I give both Djokovic and Murray another 3 years to win slams, but not so sure Nadal can last even another year?

What are your thoughts?

Mountaindewslave
09-11-2012, 07:02 PM
give Murray Djokovic 4 more years, Nadal 2-3. that is realistic. however Nadal may be gone here and there missing tournametns at times to stay healthy

EliSter
09-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Nadal to play 3 more years and go on with owning Olderer and hopefully come back with his new metal/terminator knees and owns him some more.

brithater
09-11-2012, 07:10 PM
None of those three will age well. They have a limited shelf life as do all defensive players (except Ferrer but hes some sort of freak). Isner will age very well. Maybe Delpotro as well....maybe (depends if he can stay relitivly healthy).

Other then that the future is a very bleak one for professional tennis until a true S&V player comes through ala Rafter, Edberg

Johnny Groove
09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Nadal will be done before 30, Djokovic 31 tops, Murray may age the best of the lot seeing as he neither destroys his knees like Nadal or slides on hardcourts as often as Nole.

Time Violation
09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
If the present "new guns" keep mugging it up, all three of them - plus Federer - can play until they get bored being on the top.

Ash86
09-11-2012, 07:51 PM
In Sports Illustrated today Jon Weirtheim reports that Rafa's camp told him Rafa's set himself Rio 2016 as a stop date. So 3 and a half more years on tour.

In that time i think he'll take more breaks, play more on clay and focus mainly on slams. Murray will last the longest. Could see Novak checking out mentally - he seems the most fragile in that department (emotion wise, rather than game wise). Could see him wanting to do a few more years and then try out acting/entertainment etc. Murray is more like Nadal - addicted to the struggle and practice.

So think Murray will age best and last longest.

wackykid
09-11-2012, 08:07 PM
interesting qn... i think murray will age better too...

adding a twist to the qn... do you think any of these 3 will age as good as agassi at least...? personally i feel that neither will age as well as federer... i consider federer age better than agassi -- unless in the next 2-3 years federer suddenly take nose dive...

regards,
wacky

Ash86
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
interesting qn... i think murray will age better too...

adding a twist to the qn... do you think any of these 3 will age as good as agassi at least...? personally i feel that neither will age as well as federer... i consider federer age better than agassi -- unless in the next 2-3 years federer suddenly take nose dive...

regards,
wacky

Don't think any of these guys will have Agassi's success at age 35 as all of them will retire well before then. Agassi had long periods away from the top - these guys haven't. The battle is far more intense and physical than it was in the 90s too. It's the same guys in the SFs and Fs everytime - takes its toll.

I could see Fed retiring after next season - I don't think he'll be able to compete at the slams with the other 3 for much longer - at the end of 2 weeks, best of 5 set matches, looking at how gruelling these SFs and Fs are becoming, for him to beat 2 of Rafa/Novak/Andy is a big ask. He's also vulnerable to big hitters. Yes Wimbledon just happened but to me that was one last hurrah - like Sampras winning the US Open at the end - the trajectory will only be downwards from now and I can't see Fed wanting to stick around if winning a slam looks to be a tough proposition.

Time Violation
09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Don't think any of these guys will have Agassi's success at age 35 as all of them will retire well before then. Agassi had long periods away from the top - these guys haven't. The battle is far more intense and physical than it was in the 90s too.

They also work on fitness much harder most likely. If Ferrer can run like Duracell's rabbit and he's almost 31, don't see why they couldn't do the same/if Nadal's knees hold.

Ash86
09-11-2012, 09:01 PM
They also work on fitness much harder most likely. If Ferrer can run like Duracell's rabbit and he's almost 31, don't see why they couldn't do the same/if Nadal's knees hold.

Mental fatigue more the issue I think. 30 is still 5 years away for Murray and Djokovic. To stay at the top, practicing day in day out, going from tournament to tournament - there comes a point that the mental effort of staying there becomes a lot. Don't see these guys sustaining it much beyond 30. 35 is a decade for Murray/Djokovic - no way are they winning slams 10 years from now.

Looner
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Don't forget the daddy years may be coming up. Not everyone is Federer and most people will find it hard to travel with a family. They have a family after they retire but that seems unlikely for me.

Time Violation
09-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, I doubt Murray is going to be satisfied with 1 slam :p I guess it all depends what kind of competition they will face 4 or 5 years later. If we have a strong new generation by then, that could make the present one give up more easily/decide it's not worth the effort. However, if they are still cruising to semis and finals, I think it would be nuts to retire, there won't be another chance down the road :)

Ash86
09-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Don't forget the daddy years may be coming up. Not everyone is Federer and most people will find it hard to travel with a family. They have a family after they retire but that seems unlikely for me.

Yeah, doubt Jelena and Kim want to wait another 10 years! 5 - maybe even 6 or 7 seems reachable. Not 10. I think both Novak and Rafa will retire around 30 - Andy maybe a bit later.

Time Violation
09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah, doubt Jelena and Kim want to wait another 10 years! 5 - maybe even 6 or 7 seems reachable.

They will shut up if they are smart :p

Poirot123
09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Nadal looks close to done for me. He'll play on I'm sure, but it'll be interesting to see how he copes when comes back. The way Nadal reacted at the FO this year after winning suggested a bit of a swan song for me. He knew just how much he put into beating Djokovic. Can he do it again?

Djokovic pushed himself hard, but as other say, distractions outside of tennis may do for him eventually rather than physical fatigue. If he carried on as he has for 3 - 4 more years though he could easily end up with 10+ slams.

Murray looks more driven but that's because he's only just tasted success. Plus his personality is more retiring. I can see him outlasting the other two and collecting 6+ grand slams over the rest of his career.

I actually think we're about to enter the Djokovic - Murray era where they begin to dominate more and more. Nadal physically cannot compete anymore week in week out, and Federer won't to prolong his career. In truth, Federer could outlast them all if he wanted to. It's up to him really.

TigerTim
09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't know :shrug:

Rafa will be first, for sure

Roy Emerson
09-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Murray.

Topspindoctor
09-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Pushray's style in insanely physical, I don't know why some clowns think he'll last into 30's. Mandy will be done by 28, mark my words.

GOATsol
09-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Djokovic will age the best.

sexybeast
09-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Murray can adapt his style depending on circumstance, the Murray who destroyed Federer in the olympics final could play on to his 30s. However he will lack the ability to push when it suits him, he will have to go out and take charge all the time.

There is no way Nadal and Djokovic will be playing great tennis at 30, someone mentioned Ferrer but Ferrer just isnt that good at defending as some people want to make the case, he mainly wins points by attacking.

Djokovic and Nadal with all the crazy defending and movement have strained their bodies, even pushing Murray moves without extreme movements but more depending on amazing anticipation and great hands when defending.

So I say:

Nadal might be done already, but I think he got another 2-3 competitive years on clay atleast.

Djokovic peaked last year and is slowly declining, next year he will be a bit worse and the year after a good deal worse and some injury problems might await him aswell. Another 3 years beeing very competitive in slams unless something dramatic happens.

Murray another competitive 5 years adjusting and depending more on attacking the serve and going for it instead of pushing in later years.

Topspindoctor
09-12-2012, 01:56 AM
People said Nadal was done in 2009. Never count a champion out. He is a warrior, not a sissy who quits the moment the going gets tough. He didn't get to where he was by being soft or weak. Nadal has 2-3 years ahead of him where he can win slams. Djoker 3-5 years. Mandy is a fluke so he won't win another one, same as Del Shitro.

swebright
09-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Nadal can play 1/2 season a year for another 5 years. :devil:

Nole will never get back to 2011 level, but he can still win a few more slams.

Hopefully, Murray still has some gas left in his tank but he has already wasted so many years before winnng his first slam. I doubt that he will make 8 USO final as his coach.

Possibly Fed will be the last person to retire??:worship:

grahampros
09-12-2012, 02:41 AM
It's obviously not Nadal so we'll see how Murray and Nole play out.

DJ Soup
09-12-2012, 03:25 AM
None of those three will age well. They have a limited shelf life as do all defensive players (except Ferrer but hes some sort of freak).

low centre of gravity, mon

SheepleBuster
09-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Well, Nole is done as a serious player. Murray might last 3 more years. Nadal is done as a player and currently retired

Sri
09-12-2012, 03:42 AM
None of them are efficient in their game styles. So there is no obvious pick among the three.

Nadal has the most mileage and some chronic injury worries. He hasn't been consistent and wouldn't be. He may play a few more years with long injury breaks in the non-clay part of the season.

Djokovic has the egg pod. Without knowing its magic powers, I cannot comment.

Murray has the least mileage and potentially the most hunger (and now high confidence) out of these three. But he has a grinding style, so who knows?

Federer has lasted because of efficient game style and proper season management over the years. It's not an accident.

None of these three are efficient in their games.

But Murray for sure and Djokovic have a lot more to accomplish.

Smart season planning and enough breaks will ensure a few more good years for Rafa.

Chase Visa
09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Murray, easily. Mainly because his style is less physical than the other two and he achieved success later.

Looner
09-12-2012, 08:43 AM
People said Nadal was done in 2009. Never count a champion out. He is a warrior, not a sissy who quits the moment the going gets tough. He didn't get to where he was by being soft or weak. Nadal has 2-3 years ahead of him where he can win slams. Djoker 3-5 years. Mandy is a fluke so he won't win another one, same as Del Shitro.

AO 2010 :confused:.

Time Violation
09-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Murray, easily. Mainly because his style is less physical than the other two and he achieved success later.

No way it's less physical

TigerTim
09-12-2012, 08:45 AM
AO 2010 :confused:.

No. Nadal would have triple bageled Andy for sure if he was not injured.

duong
09-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Nadal will be done before 30, Djokovic 31 tops, Murray may age the best of the lot seeing as he neither destroys his knees like Nadal or slides on hardcourts as often as Nole.

instinctively I would say something like that : Murray ageing better than Djokovic ageing better than Nadal, for the reasons you say, and also because Murray maybe loves tennis more and has a steadier attitude to it than Djokovic imo (just a feeling like Ash86's) and has more variety and a better first serve.

But overall I think Djokovic and Murray can last very long on top considering the poor younger generations.

They have a limited shelf life as do all defensive players (except Ferrer but hes some sort of freak).

it's not true (considering "defensive" means "grinders" in this forum), if you look at the lower ranked players who age well, many of them are rather grinders (Russell, Ramirez-Hidalgo, Schuettler, Eschauer or Luczak in the past ...) but having a little bit variety also helps to adapt (see Santoro or even Schuettler and others).

Mark Lenders
09-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Djokovic, he only grinds down opponents late in tournaments. He can blow most players off the court.

Nadal and Murray literally grind down each and every opponent, they will burn out earlier and might have problems post retirement too. Their hardcourt grindfests aren't doing any favors to their knees and joints for sure.

Chris Kuerten
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Nadal will Ramirez Hidalgo clay tournaments untill he's 40.