Federer makes a last minute commitment to Davis Cup in Netherlands [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer makes a last minute commitment to Davis Cup in Netherlands

bobbynorwich
09-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Federer has announced today 9/11 that he'll play Davis Cup this weekend in Netherlands, and will arrive tomorrow. Obviously he waited for the results of yesterday's US Open before deciding as this is a very late commitment. What would his thinking be? Maybe that he won't have to play so many Asian tourneys because he's so far ahead of Djokovic and can play a lesser point event? Other ideas?

:confused:

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/roger-federer-willo-play-davis-cup-against-netherlands-this-weekend-091112

abraxas21
09-11-2012, 01:40 PM

manadrainer
09-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Shit. Worst decision ever. Who cares about Davis cup?

philosophicalarf
09-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Prolly cos he lost in the UO QFs, it's not much of a physical challenge, 9 days gap. If he'd played Sunday or Monday, doubt he'd be there.

finishingmove
09-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't understand. Is he playing for Holland? :confused:

Corey Feldman
09-11-2012, 01:49 PM
he's still making sure he keeps Swiss in the world group, just to keep trying to win a DC as an option for him sometime

its a pain in the arse though as DC always is

will mean more surface changing

duong
09-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Federer has announced today 9/11 that he'll play Davis Cup this weekend in Netherlands, and will arrive tomorrow. Obviously he waited for the results of yesterday's US Open before deciding as this is a very late commitment.

no no no he was officially in the team already tuesday 8 days ago and his presence had been confirmed in Swiss media two weeks ago, only in recent days he had put his presence in doubt, I don't know why, physical problem, Mirka or anything. He has other things in his life than watching the US Open final on TV :rolleyes:

I'm also afraid that the whole fuss about the prize money in slams may take a lot of time and energy from him even though the ATP staff makes most of the hard work he has a lot to do for that especially to talk with the players, and the Aus Open has to announce the prize money for next year in a few weeks.

Anyway he was not expected to play any other Asian tournament than Shanghai, and if anything yesterday's result saves his chance for the year-end number 1 then would rather be an incentive NOT to play Davis cup to save energy to play more in the rest of the year.

Slasher1985
09-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Eh, he's only gonna play one singles match and probably the doubles match. That hardly counts as tiring. Don't tell me Sijsling can actually take a set from him, to keep Fed in for more than 2 hours.

Looner
09-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Eh, he's only gonna play one singles match and probably the doubles match. That hardly counts as tiring. Don't tell me Sijsling can actually take a set from him, to keep Fed in for more than 2 hours.

That is if Wawa wins his other match. Which he should.

Slasher1985
09-11-2012, 01:57 PM
That is if Wawa wins his other match. Which he should.

Haase can't beat Wawa if you ask me. And if you do ask me, the doubles match is actually the hardest part. Wawa may have to win two singles matches. :D

duong
09-11-2012, 01:59 PM

it's not sure it's Sijsling, actually it'd rather be De Bakker who's recently won two challengers on clay, one last sunday, who is not back to his best level but still is back at a good level on clay and has often played wll in Davis cup (defeated Monfils on clay).

Sijsling (who was the title holder) was out of last week challenger for whatever reason.

Anyway, Wawrinka often has problems against Haase (he's 5-0 in the H2H but all but one were tight matches, including on clay) and the dutch doubles team is good, then it's far from sure that Roger only has two matches to play : most of the time he has two singles to play when he plays Davis cup.

Corey Feldman
09-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Eh, he's only gonna play one singles match and probably the doubles match. That hardly counts as tiring. Don't tell me Sijsling can actually take a set from him, to keep Fed in for more than 2 hours. used to think the same but the prep they put in for DC is to practise hard all week on clay and then play best of 5 matches three days in a row - its really like an extra tournament added

it does more damage than you think

the quick surface change also irritates

abraxas21
09-11-2012, 02:05 PM
clay is actually a good preparation for shanghai

Slice Winner
09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
clay is actually a good preparation for shanghai

Did Shanghai not get sped up recently? Wait, I'm thinking of Beijing.

duong
09-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Did Shanghai not get sped up recently? Wait, I'm thinking of Beijing.

last year, Shanghai was reasonably quick imo, previous year it was slower.

uxyzapenje
09-11-2012, 02:38 PM

He was there when me made the commitment. He phoned the DC teammates and said he will play.

AntiTennis
09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
wtf, this has nothing to do with the USO, he just playing for Switzerland so his country will remain in the world group, probably he was seeing how he was feeling and if Wawrinka will go.

Chris Kuerten
09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't understand. Is he playing for Holland? :confused:Yes, we've traded Haase for him.

TigerTim
09-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Guga has such nice hair :hearts:

henke007
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Well Shanghai is a month away so, good to get some practise in on clay i guess.

tripwires
09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Federer has announced today 9/11 that he'll play Davis Cup this weekend in Netherlands, and will arrive tomorrow. Obviously he waited for the results of yesterday's US Open before deciding as this is a very late commitment. What would his thinking be? Maybe that he won't have to play so many Asian tourneys because he's so far ahead of Djokovic and can play a lesser point event? Other ideas?

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/roger-federer-willo-play-davis-cup-against-netherlands-this-weekend-091112

:confused: :lol:

I like Davis Cup so I'm glad he's playing.

Corey Feldman
09-11-2012, 03:07 PM

he may be ahead of Nole in the rankings now but he's 1000 points behind on the 2012 race

so he needs out perform Nole and by over 1000 points in the last four events to keep/finish #1 - and Nole is playing 5 events probably

GSMnadal
09-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Haase will blow this mug off court :rocker2:

motorhead
09-11-2012, 03:22 PM

:haha:

motorhead
09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Yes, we've traded Haase for him.

:lol:

The Prince
09-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Good luck to Roger.

However I want the Dutchies to win. They seem to want it more.

Tag
09-11-2012, 03:54 PM
federer shouldn't even bother with shanghai

awful courts, terrible atmosphere. worst masters after madrid, easily

but i suppose he has sponsor commitments.

djokovic laughing all the way to the bank - murray vultured the entire asian swing last year, so can't gain any points

no 1 position is djokovic's for the taking. and rightly so, he's had the best year

TigerTim
09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Apparently angry fed made shanghai speed up?

Is this true? Hopefully!

Tag
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Apparently angry fed made shanghai speed up?

Is this true? Hopefully!

it's possible. darth federer wields immense power over the ATP/ITF

although, it would need a major speeding up to avoid still being blue clay :o

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM
i live really really close to where they are building the court and stances. It is an absolute horror-show and I'm not even gonna start about the weather here..

Dumbass Fed, why you no prepare for indoorseason?

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Haase will blow this mug off court :rocker2:

:lol: now THAT would be a sad day for tennis

LinkMage
09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Awful decision to play this mug event. Should be resting for the indoor season. :o

Corey Feldman
09-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Dumbass Fed, why you no prepare for indoorseason?No Fed, no Swiss win

then they fall so far away from world group and it takes years to get back there, he's trying to keep the DC options open for the near future

when i heard him saying in a interview a few months ago he considered skipping Indian Wells and Miami this year, shows maybe his mind is thinking more about trying to win a DC title soon

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
No Fed, no Swiss win
then they fall so far away from world group and it takes years to get back there, he's trying to keep the DC options open for the near future

when i heard him saying in a interview a few months ago he considered skipping Indian Wells and Miami this year, shows maybe his mind is thinking more about trying to win a DC title soon

really? you do realize they are playing the Netherlands right? Wawrinka will obliterate any dutch player and even Chiudinelli stands a pretty good chance to win against Haase, de Bakker, and the rest of the gang.

As much as I appreciate his sense of duty towards is country...nah I don't appreciate that at all. The swiss team will win this without him, he should stay home and focus on ending the year as #1.

Corey Feldman
09-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Haase would beat Wawrinka

De Bakk would beat other swiss mug

cmoss
09-11-2012, 04:53 PM
He should skip those stupid matches and focus at gathering points to have a chance for YE no 1.Switzerland won't win the Davis cup anyway.:o

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Haase would beat Wawrinka

De Bakk would beat other swiss mug

de Bakker is useless and Haase is not going to beat Stan..

DemiCrayanhan
09-11-2012, 05:03 PM
why mess with the working recipe? DC pumped him up last year this time, here's hoping it can do it again.

Ben D.
09-11-2012, 05:04 PM
I think Federer is looking for the last big title he can truly wins. As long as Wawa stays a top 20 they can make it, it wont be easy though.

martinatreue
09-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Good on ya, Roger! It's not going to be that taxing!

Corey Feldman
09-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Fed knows Stan throws the towel when he leaves all the DC work to him

Trollin Stone
09-11-2012, 05:27 PM
really? you do realize they are playing the Netherlands right? Wawrinka will obliterate any dutch player and even Chiudinelli stands a pretty good chance to win against Haase, de Bakker, and the rest of the gang.

As much as I appreciate his sense of duty towards is country...nah I don't appreciate that at all. The swiss team will win this without him, he should stay home and focus on ending the year as #1.

de Bakker is useless and Haase is not going to beat Stan..

http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100014752
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100007698
:shrug:
the swiss team has won only in Belarus and with Poland since 2004 when Fed hasnt played. Those teams didnt have any top 150 player in singles. Haase and Sijsling are in top 100

motorhead
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
i live really really close to where they are building the court and stances. It is an absolute horror-show and I'm not even gonna start about the weather here..

didn't know they are going to play outdoor, seems quite stupid given Holland's weather.

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 06:10 PM
didn't know they are going to play outdoor, seems quite stupid given Holland's weather.

maybe it's tactics? :shrug: also it is played in a public park, next to the train tracks...

Smoke944
09-11-2012, 06:13 PM

:spit:

You are underestimating your own players and seriously overestimating Chiudinelli. Would be a very tight one without Fed.

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100014752
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100007698
:shrug:
the swiss team has won only in Belarus and with Poland since 2004 when Fed hasnt played. Those teams didnt have any top 150 player in singles. Haase and Sijsling are in top 100

sure they are top 100, but they are still nowhere near as good as Wawrinka, and as I said will have a tough time even facing Chiudinelli. Sijsling is better on HC than on gravel, so I would expect Siemerink to have de Bakker play.

Let's be serious here, it's not as if this is a DC final, or even a semifinal.. It's not worth messing up Fed's rhythm

Johnny Groove
09-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Since he's not playing Beijing or Tokyo, this is smart to keep in rhythm for Shanghai, plus Netherlands isn't that much of a plane trip.

Trollin Stone
09-11-2012, 06:31 PM
sure they are top 100, but they are still nowhere near as good as Wawrinka, and as I said will have a tough time even facing Chiudinelli. Sijsling is better on HC than on gravel, so I would expect Siemerink to have de Bakker play.

Let's be serious here, it's not as if this is a DC final, or even a semifinal.. It's not worth messing up Fed's rhythm

Kukushkin is nowhere near as good as Wawrinka, too:shrug: And like Smoke944 said you're massively underestimating your players who are playing at home and hugely overestimating Chiudinelli. Like I said, this would be by far the best team Switzerland would defeat without Fed in last 10 years. Swiss team is just garbage without Fed. Cant understand why people havent realised it yet after all those results

alfonsojose
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
DC, Shangai, Basel and WTF isn't a particularly harsh schedule. How many points does he get if he wins two DC matches? If he's chasing Nole's top position, any point can make a diference.

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
:spit:

You are underestimating your own players and seriously overestimating Chiudinelli. Would be a very tight one without Fed.

I might be overestimating Chiudinelli, but I am certainly not underastimating Haase and de Bakker (they are not MY players, please...), or Sijsling for that matter.

Yes it might be a tight affair, and yes if the dutch team has good form they might actually win, but my point was that this DC encounter is not worth it for Fed to destroy his indoor preparation..

Eden
09-11-2012, 06:45 PM

The tournament in Shanghai doesn't start next week so Roger has enough time to prepare for the next tournaments ;)

He is experienced enough to handle such a situation.

There are a lot of people criticizing Roger when he doesn't play Daviscup - not just here on MTF ;) - and it got especially harsh 2 years ago when he didn't went to Kazakhstan in September.

It's surely not ideal that the encounter will be played on outdoor clay but on the other hand it takes place in a European country which is only a short flight away from Switzerland.

Roger likes to represent his country and is very close with his team. There's nothing bad in spending a few days with your friends ;)

Roger had a good rest before he went to Cincinatti and wasn't involved in any 5 set matches in New York.

I don't know when he went home to Switzerland and how long it takes for him to get over jetlag but I guess he should be fine physically.

There are also still a few days left until the first match will be played.

Personally I'm happy that he will be going to Amsterdam because I will be able to attend the encounter :)

duong
09-11-2012, 06:50 PM
The tournament in Shanghai doesn't start next week so Roger has enough time to prepare for the next tournaments ;)

yes, there are 3 weeks after the Davis cup and before Shanghai, I even think he will take a few holidays after Davis cup ;)

Hope you enjoy the tie, Doris ;)

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 06:55 PM

He is experienced enough to handle such a situation.

There are a lot of people criticizing Roger when he doesn't play Daviscup - not just here on MTF ;) - and it got especially harsh 2 years ago when he didn't went to Kazakhstan in September.

It's surely not ideal that the encounter will be played on outdoor clay but on the other hand it takes place in a European country which is only a short flight away from Switzerland.

Roger likes to represent his country and is very close with his team. There's nothing bad in spending a few days with your friends ;)

Roger had a good rest before he went to Cincinatti and wasn't involved in any 5 set matches in New York.

I don't know when he went home to Switzerland and how long it takes for him to get over jetlag but I guess he should be fine physically.

There are also still a few days left until the first match will be played.

Personally I'm happy that he will be going to Amsterdam because I will be able to attend the encounter :)

Fed played way more than he did last year. Too me he looked fatigued against Berdych. This part of the season is very important for him, because he has a shipload of points to defend. He should take all the rest he can get :shrug:

Have fun there though :)

motorhead
09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
DC, Shangai, Basel and WTF isn't a particularly harsh schedule. How many points does he get if he wins two DC matches? If he's chasing Nole's top position, any point can make a diference.

He's playing Paris too.

Trollin Stone
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
^he might skip it and it wouldnt be surprise

SheepleBuster
09-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Roger announced it to make sure nobody reports the news on the winner of US Open. I agree with him. Good move Rog. ESPN is all over it :D

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Roger announced it to make sure nobody reports the news on the winner of US Open. I agree with him. Good move Rog. ESPN is all over it :D

:worship:

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 07:17 PM
^he might skip it and it wouldnt be surprise

yeah I don't think that would be an unwise decision anyways.

Eden
09-11-2012, 07:23 PM
yes, there are 3 weeks after the Davis cup and before Shanghai, I even think he will take a few holidays after Davis cup ;)

He might go one week on holiday to refresh the body and mind and use the other time to prepare for the next months.

Hope you enjoy the tie, Doris ;)

Thank you :)

Fed played way more than he did last year.

It paid off for him because he was able to get points to get back to #1.

Too me he looked fatigued against Berdych. This part of the season is very important for him, because he has a shipload of points to defend. He should take all the rest he can get :shrug:

It will be really difficult indeed to defend all the points from the indoor season whilst Novak has the advantage of being able to get a lot of points then.

Well I trust that Roger knows his body and makes the right decisions ;)

Have fun there though :)

Jverweij
09-11-2012, 07:37 PM
He might go one week on holiday to refresh the body and mind and use the other time to prepare for the next months.

Thank you :)

It paid off for him because he was able to get points to get back to #1.

It will be really difficult indeed to defend all the points from the indoor season whilst Novak has the advantage of being able to get a lot of points then.

Well I trust that Roger knows his body and makes the right decisions ;)

well maybe you are right mate. I hope he knows what he's doing. Would be such a shame if he wastes his chance at ending the year at #1 over a silly DC encounter with Holland..

Kat_YYZ
09-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I hope he plays his first match on Friday like an exo... just swing away, have fun, don't run hard or slide dangerously for anything. Hopefully that will be enough to win his match. :)

Corey Feldman
09-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Since he's not playing Beijing or Tokyo, this is smart to keep in rhythm for Shanghai, plus Netherlands isn't that much of a plane trip.its not always the trip or the extra tennis that can hurt but more the change of surface in short space of time

telling you, top players and Fed dont like it

duong
09-12-2012, 08:35 AM
I hope he plays his first match on Friday like an exo... just swing away, have fun, don't run hard or slide dangerously for anything. Hopefully that will be enough to win his match. :)

it's better finishing in 3 sets than 5 if you have 1 or 2 5-setter matches to play in the week-end.

Against De Bakker with little preparation on clay (he will have arrived in Amsterdam 2 days before his first match), he can't afford playing like an exho.

Sunset of Age
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
it's better finishing in 3 sets than 5 if you have 1 or 2 5-setter matches to play in the week-end.

Against De Bakker with little preparation on clay (he will have arrived in Amsterdam 2 days before his first match), he can't afford playing like an exho.

Should Fed require more than three sets against either De Bakker or Haase, I'll be unpleasantly surprised. That said, of course, you never know... "nobody" expected Fed to lose to Isner either earlier this year.
Hope it will be a good tie and that there'll be lots of good tennis to enjoy. :)